PDA

View Full Version : Who will win: Weber or Monana (Part Dos)

Pages : [1] 2

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Discuss. :D

CopperCat
November 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I'm taking Weber. They're the better team IMO. The offense has alot of firepower that can be sustained late in the game, and the defense is tenacious.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
First two votes are in. Stop the machine. It's over. :D

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Great. ******ed up the title of the thread. Go me.

Mods, can you fix that? :p

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Weber - no doubt, far and away the better team

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Great. ******ed up the title of the thread. Go me.

Mods, can you fix that? :p

I kinda like it, actually. Reminds me of that name song thing. Banana-nana momana, mee my, monana.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I expect a close game no matter which way it goes, but I think the Griz will squeak it out with the home field advantage.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Your vote indicates otherwise. xlolx xlolx xoopsx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I kinda like it, actually. Reminds me of that name song thing. Banana-nana momana, mee my, monana.

xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Do they have a "LMFAOACOMB" smiley?

(Laughing my ******ing @ss off and choking on my beer)

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Well crap, I didnt mean to vote for the jizz, was it a butterfly ballot.xconfusedx

I bet you about choked when you seen my tag on their.

art vandelay
November 30th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I will say Montana because its hard to beat a team twice in one season. but it wont suprise me if Weber wins

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I will say Montana because its hard to beat a team twice in one season. but it wont suprise me if Weber wins

Must have really long legs to cover both bases like that!

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I love Weber this year, but the love stops here.

Griz win this one, just like my predictions said!!!

slostang
November 30th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Weber will be hard to beat. On offense they have it all. Higgins is a great QB, Toon is an awesome WR (some of his catches were incredable tonight) and Smith is dangerous at RB. I see another shoot out.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Discuss. :DOFF-TOPIC: I hate these "discuss" threads. Why start a thread if all you can say is "discuss"? Why should we discuss that which you are unable to do? Wait until someone who is interested enough to actually talk and generate discussion opens a thread.

Watch. There will be some clown who posts this type of thread opening for every game next week. xnonono2x

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 01:35 AM
OFF-TOPIC: I hate these "discuss" threads. Why start a thread if all you can say is "discuss"? Why should we discuss that which you are unable to do? Wait until someone who is interested enough to actually talk and generate discussion opens a thread.

Watch. There will be some clown who posts this type of thread opening for every game next week. xnonono2x

It would be polite if you didn't try to derail this thread by making off topic posts.

Thank you.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 01:35 AM
OFF-TOPIC: I hate these "discuss" threads. Why start a thread if all you can say is "discuss"? Why should we discuss that which you are unable to do? Wait until someone who is interested enough to actually talk and generate discussion opens a thread.

First off, I was parodying Travis and every other thread starter that starts it off with 'discuss.'

Secondly, I do plan on adding my two cents (in my case probably a buck 'O' five), just not at this exact moment.

Perhaps you should talk about the thread at hand, rather than worrying about others?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM
It would be polite if you didn't try to derail this thread by making off topic posts.

Thank you.

xbowx

No No No. Thank YOU! xnodx

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 01:38 AM
It would be polite if you didn't try to derail this thread by making off topic posts.As opposed to someone who isn't polite enough to say OFF-TOPIC? How about someone who starts a thread with one word "discuss"? Or spells Montana, "Monana" as the thread title? Lame all around. xsmhx

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Doesn't change the fact that it's completely off topic and basically unnecessary. This thread is about WSU-Montana, not how to post discussion threads using bait.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 01:44 AM
As opposed to someone who isn't polite enough to say OFF-TOPIC? How about someone who starts a thread with one word "discuss"? Or spells Montana, "Monana" as the thread title? Lame all around. xsmhx

Wow, now you're attacking me on grammatical errors, (that I addressed in one of the first few posts of the thread, after having realized my error).

Dude. You exude lame. Now DISCUSS (–verb (used with object)
1. to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.; talk over or write about, esp. to explore solutions; debate: to discuss the proposed law on taxes. ) the Weber vs. Montana quarter-final game that awaits next saturday.

I for one, think Weber corrected some major issues (turnovers being one of them) after their loss to EWU and they showed that tonight against CP. Montana has a much better defense than CP, but they won't be able to keep up with Weber's dual threat offense.

Weber in a shootout.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Wow, now you're attacking me on grammatical errors, (that I addressed in one of the first few posts of the thread, after having realized my error).

Dude. You exude lame.relax SCREAMER, just making a joke! But I said the thread lead was lame, not you personally. But you come back and personally insult me. That's not cool. xnonono2x

DISCUSS xlmaox

--END OF OFF-TOPIC--

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I for one, think Weber corrected some major issues (turnovers being one of them) after their loss to EWU and they showed that tonight against CP. Montana has a much better defense than CP, but they won't be able to keep up with Weber's dual threat offense.

Weber in a shootout.

In FCS play, Weber has had four games settled by less than two touchdowns. The Sac. game we gave up a late score but were up 32-20 late in the fourth. Still, a close game, but we were definitely the better team, especially given Sac's personnel that game. The UNC game had us turning the ball over three times inside their 10 yard line. Then EWU we had five turnovers, I believe all in opponent's territory. The only game we've had this year where if you discounted turnovers we were not the best team on the field was the second half of the PSU game where we were beaten good by them. Fortunately we had built a lead by then.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
How about someone who starts a thread with one word "discuss"? Or spells Montana, "Monana" as the thread title? Lame all around. xsmhx

relax SCREAMER, just making a joke! But I said the thread lead was lame, not you personally. But you come back and personally insult me. That's not cool. xnonono2x

DISCUSS xlmaox

--END OF OFF-TOPIC--

Contradiction. I'm done. No wait. You have yet to actually contribute to this thread's original intentions. Now I'm done.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
relax SCREAMER, just making a joke! But I said the thread lead was lame, not you personally. But you come back and personally insult me. That's not cool. xnonono2x

DISCUSS xlmaox

--END OF OFF-TOPIC--

*Shrug* Your posting style comes across as one that often insults other users. You just don't use direct insults. It's one that easily infuriates others using baiting techniques. Seems like you know this and either don't care or enjoy getting rises out of others. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond my guess.

putter
November 30th, 2008, 01:54 AM
The Griz jumped out to a 21-10 lead before Weber took the 2nd quarter over and a few Griz miscues didn't help Montana's cause. At Montana, revenge game, two teams that know each other. This will be a great game.

Griz win 31-28

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM

xlolx

I picked Montana. Going with the "tough to beat a team twice in one season" reasoning, I'm hoping for a repeat of our games with Sam Houston. And I would have picked Cal Poly if they had won.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
The Griz jumped out to a 21-10 lead before Weber took the 2nd quarter over and a few Griz miscues didn't help Montana's cause. At Montana, revenge game, two teams that know each other. This will be a great game.

Griz win 31-28

I don't understand the "revenge" factor. I don't think the fact that Weber has beaten Montana this year will help determine the outcome. I doubt the Montana plays want to lose less now that they're playing Weber again.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
sorry

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM
[QUOTE=I Bleed Purple;1236025Your posting style comes across as one that often insults other users...[/QUOTE]Whatever you say. I try to post my opinions without insulting others. I try to help others and answer questions. I try to add to the community. Stick around a little while, not just when your team is winning and you might notice that. xpeacex xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:18 AM
*blink*

I've been here since 2006.

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I don't understand the "revenge" factor. I don't think the fact that Weber has beaten Montana this year will help determine the outcome. I doubt the Montana plays want to lose less now that they're playing Weber again.Honestly? xeyebrowx

JMU vs. ASU in 2008?
Cal Poly vs. UM in 2005?
UM vs. Sam Houston in 2004?

I'd say revenge was a huge factor in the outcome of those games. Not saying Montana is a lock to beat Weber simply because they want revenge, but it certainly plays a part. You could even say Weber's win stemmed from revenge of last year's loss in Missoula.

If this was the reverse, and UM had beaten Weber in the regular season, only to face them again, I'd wager that Weber would easily have an upper hand in that they have revenge on their minds.

Just the way I see it, though. xpeacex

Native
November 30th, 2008, 02:22 AM
sorry

Don't be sorry. Your point about simply posting "discuss" being lame is well taken. It is lame.

AND Sometimes you act like a big dog because, well... you AREa big dog! xlolx

On the other hand, I take Eagle's word that his "discuss" post to start this thread was a parody. He has proven his genuine intent with several subsequent substantive posts. xnodx

No more circular firing squads? xrolleyesx

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Honestly? xeyebrowx

JMU vs. ASU in 2008?
Cal Poly vs. UM in 2005?
UM vs. Sam Houston in 2004?

I'd say revenge was a huge factor in the outcome of those games. Not saying Montana is a lock to beat Weber simply because they want revenge, but it certainly plays a part. You could even say Weber's win stemmed from revenge of last year's loss in Missoula.

If this was the reverse, and UM had beaten Weber in the regular season, only to face them again, I'd wager that Weber would easily have an upper hand in that they have revenge on their minds.

Just the way I see it, though. xpeacex

I wouldn't say revenge, we just wanted to finally beat the &(*^%% *&%*^ers. :D

Native
November 30th, 2008, 02:26 AM
"Monana" is a great team with outstanding athletes and excellent coaching. xnodx

The Grizz, however, cannot win this year unless Weber beats themselves.xcoolx

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 02:28 AM
"Monana" is a great team with outstanding athletes and excellent coaching. xnodx

The Grizz, however, cannot win this year unless Weber beats themselves.xcoolxSo we know if you guys lose, you already have your excuse lined up. xlolxxwhistlex

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:30 AM
So we know if you guys lose, you already have your excuse lined up. xlolxxwhistlex

Hey now, didn't you guys have the weather excuse all lined up earlier this year? xrotatehx

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Hey now, didn't you guys have the weather excuse all lined up earlier this year? xrotatehx

I used that excuse all week after the game

That, and Swink

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Hey now, didn't you guys have the weather excuse all lined up earlier this year? xrotatehxI never made any excuses about how we lost. We got beat by the better team that day.

But now, we have a chance to show you that we're a lot better. I'll go ahead and counter Native's little throwdown with this:

If Montana doesn't commit a turnover, they'll walk away with a win. xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I never made any excuses about how we lost. We got beat by the better team that day.

But now, we have a chance to show you that we're a lot better. I'll go ahead and counter Native's little throwdown with this:

Ah, but what happens if neither team turns the ball over. Who'll win, then? Of course we know what each other's answer will be, but, just sayin'.

And I disapprove of disappearing all week and then coming back to post smack again. (not directed at you, uo'mman.)

Native
November 30th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I never made any excuses about how we lost. We got beat by the better team that day.

Ditto. No turnovers on either side, and Weber wins a close game. Whisky at your tailgate? xnodx

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Whisky at your tailgate? xnodxPerhaps, but I don't think you want to fly all the way to Tokyo. xlolx

JALMOND
November 30th, 2008, 03:20 AM
When is football over? I don't have a horse in the race, yet I can't seem to get away. Check out my recent schedule...

11/1 Portland State/Weber State
11/8 Portland State/Montana
11/15 Portland State/Montana State
11/22 Montana/Montana State
11/29 Oregon/Oregon State

now Montana/Weber State

Come on, the fiancee is getting madder every week. :D

And I am supposed to pick?xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xthumbsupx

Let me just say good luck to both.xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 03:48 AM

If Montana doesn't commit a turnover, I'll cut off my p....

No I won't. xlolx

Either way, I'd wager money that Montana commits at least one turnover. It's what they do! xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Either way, I'd wager money that Montana commits at least one turnover. It's what they do! xthumbsupx

Zuh?

Montana has the fewest turnovers per game in the Big Sky (1.38). The Griz also lead the Big Sky in turnover margin (+11; Weber's at +10). These stats include today's games.

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 AM
If Montana doesn't commit a turnover, I'll cut off my p....

No I won't. xlolx

Either way, I'd wager money that Montana commits at least one turnover. It's what they do! xthumbsupxWe didn't turn the ball over once in our games vs. UNC, EWU, and MSU.

Especially impressive, seeing how WSU committed 5 turnovers against EWU.

It's definitely possible.

art vandelay
November 30th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Must have really long legs to cover both bases like that!

Extremely long. :) As a UNH fan I could really care less so I figure why make enemies.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Pure hypothetical question:

If Weber blows Montana out and it's apparent in the fourth quarter, will Montana fans boo the home team?

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM

If Weber blows Montana out and it's apparent in the fourth quarter, will Montana fans boo the home team?I honestly have no idea, since it's never happened at Wa. Griz.

Ever.

Ever.

Peems
November 30th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I honestly have no idea, since it's never happened at Wa. Griz.

Ever.

Ever.

The 2005 game against Cal Poly wasn't exactly close. I think Griz fans realize when they are being beat by a better team and will not "boo" if Weber is winning by 14+

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 05:01 AM
The 2005 game against Cal Poly wasn't exactly close. I think Griz fans realize when they are being beat by a better team and will not "boo" if Weber is winning by 14+It wasn't exactly a blowout, either.

I also think if Weber fans are predicting a blowout, they might be sorely disappointed.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 05:28 AM
No, not expecting a blowout. Expecting a win, but no blowout. Like I said, hypothetical. I think Weber is capable of it, but I wouldn't expect it.

EDIT: Expect is a strong word here. How's about anticipate a win?

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM
No, not expecting a blowout. Expecting a win, but no blowout. Like I said, hypothetical. I think Weber is capable of it, but I wouldn't expect it.

EDIT: Expect is a strong word here. How's about anticipate a win?Okay, I understand.

However, I'm fairly confident we won't get blown out, and only slightly less confident that we will win. And if our fans do start booing, I'll be the first person to cry out in outrage. Even if we get embarrassed 70 to -7, there's no reason why they would start booing, especially when they've never done it before, even in 2006, when we very well should have won against UMASS.

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I'm taking Montana for several reasons. One I predicted Montana over Weber when I made my bracket so I have to stick with that. Second, I'll take the team that has looked better since they played in the regular season. Montana is on I think an 8 game winning streak and Weber is on a 1 game winning streak.

Montana is probably still ticked off at Weber for breaking their streaks in conference and regular season wins in a row.

from my prediction last week

Villanova 21 at James Madison 20-overtime
Weber State 14 at Montana 38-looking for revenge
Richmond 48 at Appalachian State 42-Richmond pulls off the upset in a shootout
Maine 7 at UNH 34---I know I missed one :(

So I actually have Montana blowing them out. I say Montana wins big if they don't have another big turnover day and special teams meltdown.

appfan2008
November 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM
im looking for an all seeded semifinal

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
im looking for an all seeded semifinalAnd I'm looking for Montana to finally bury the App "dynasty" in Chatty, but let's get through the second round games, first. xlolx:p

appchuck
November 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I am going with the revenge factor, and Montana.

Grabholdofyosef
November 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Since the Weber loss, Montana has given up just under 10 pts a game and more than 13 just once (20 to northern colorado and 14 of those came in the 4th in garbage time when the game was 41-6). I think Montana will shut down the highpowered Weber offense and win 31-17.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah UM fans can thank Weber for whipping us into shape earlier in the year. We've been hot since then, save a little offensive sputtering on occasion, and the defense has grown incredibly since then. I sure hope we get Johnson back to cover Toone. I don't think the whole game will go by without a single turnover, and as long as Bergquist doesn't make a stupid mistake, the Griz won't turn it over (that's the only way we've turned it over since Weber). I think the home field advantage helps the Griz here, and revenge is absolutely a factor. Many young kids on this team remember the Weber game as the only game they have lost, and they lost bad. That's a formula for some angry kids. Griz by a touchdown.

Mountain Panther
November 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Wow not many giving Weber a chance in this on.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Wow not many giving Weber a chance in this on.

Yeah, not many gave them a chance against CP either. That, and there's like two Weber fans on here.

As much as "revenge" might play into it, I don't think UM is going to stop Weber. They might commit less turnovers (I'd sure hope so), and the game will be closer than last time, but I think Weber prevails again.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I think that Montana has shown since the Weber game that it can stop the run now, which leaves Weber's excellent passing game. I think that if the Griz D-line (a very good one) can get pressure on Higgins and disrupt the pass game, they can stop him. That is, as long as someone covers Smith coming out of the backfield...

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I think that Montana has shown since the Weber game that it can stop the run now, which leaves Weber's excellent passing game. I think that if the Griz D-line (a very good one) can get pressure on Higgins and disrupt the pass game, they can stop him. That is, as long as someone covers Smith coming out of the backfield...

You couldent stop Crawford (203 yards rushing) and that was against MSU's one diminsional offense, MSU had no threat recievers and a 3rd string QB making his second start, and you loaded the box to stop Crawford and couldnt. What makes you think your going to stop Webers multi threat offense, Smith, Higgins, Toon, Phillips, and the little guy that I cant spell his name.

Also Weber has a better defensive seconday that will shut down yur recievers better. UM was lucky to get ahead early in their first game, WSU made mistakes and you capitalized on it, the first game was not as close as the score would indicate.

Also McBride is better than Bobby xnodx

MTGrizzFan
November 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM

If Weber blows Montana out and it's apparent in the fourth quarter, will Montana fans boo the home team?

hell no

kalm
November 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I think Weber has more talent, but I've gotta go with the Griz due to depth and WGS. Does anyone know if this game will be televised in Spokane?

BCS Sucks
November 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM
You couldent stop Crawford (203 yards rushing) and that was against MSU's one diminsional offense, MSU had no threat recievers and a 3rd string QB making his second start, and you loaded the box to stop Crawford and couldnt. What makes you think your going to stop Webers multi threat offense, Smith, Higgins, Toon, Phillips, and the little guy that I cant spell his name.

Also Weber has a better defensive seconday that will shut down yur recievers better. UM was lucky to get ahead early in their first game, WSU made mistakes and you capitalized on it, the first game was not as close as the score would indicate.

Im no football expert or anything but i think the griz stop crawford from scoring and i think the score decides who winsxsmiley_wix

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Im no football expert or anything but i think the griz stop crawford from scoring and i think the score decides who winsxsmiley_wix

hint- your not playing MSU this week ;)

BCS Sucks
November 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Ya i know because were playing in the playoffsxlolx xlolx xlolx

EdubAlum
November 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
i think it's bull**** they're even on the same side of the bracket. anyone else?

placidlakegriz
November 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
You couldent stop Crawford (203 yards rushing) and that was against MSU's one diminsional offense, MSU had no threat recievers and a 3rd string QB making his second start, and you loaded the box to stop Crawford and couldnt.

Crawford had a meaningless 84 yard run to start the game and a meaningless 40 yard run to end the game. The 58 minutes in between he ran all of 80 yards. Big deal.

placidlakegriz
November 30th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Of course not. msu is always at home for the t-day weekend.

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Crawford had a meaningless 84 yard run to start the game and a meaningless 40 yard run to end the game. The 58 minutes in between he ran all of 80 yards. Big deal.

Are you going to go through every RB's year and decide which runs should be counted and which should not? I suppose all of Chase's runs are meaningfull and few of Crawfords are. Your just butt hurt that we only had one offensive weapon in that game and you still couldnt stop him after stacking the box to do it.

So what is you answer when Smith runs through your secondary like DC did. Oh right, you wont have an answer, and if you even try to stack the box against WSU like you did against us, Higgins, Toon and the rest will be living in your endzone.

Green26
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Crawford had the 84 run on MSU's second play of the game, and a 28 yard run on the last play of the game. Both of those drives netted no points for MSU. Without those 2 carries, Crawford had 89 yards in 22 carries, or 4.0 per carry. He's a good back, but gets taken down too easily after contact. Smith is a much better back.

UM will have a better defensive scheme, will fill gaps better, and won't miss as many tackles this time. Smith will get his yards, but he won't hurt UM like he did last time. He was the key to WSU's offense in the first game.

Native
November 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the love, Cats! I couldn't have said it better myself!

What was gbhmt thinking?!?? ...the Grizz have learned to "stop the run now?" ...against Idaho State?!?? xconfusedx

BCS Sucks
November 30th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I can't wait to see this game their is going to be alot of intensity in that stadium

ezgriz51
November 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Crawfor got half his yards on a busted play on the Kittie's first possession. I can't remember....what was the final in that game?

BCS Sucks
November 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hey everybody lets talk about weber st not Crawford no one cares about crawford right now he's not playing in the playoffs

ValleyChamp
November 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm going with Monana.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Are you going to go through every RB's year and decide which runs should be counted and which should not? I suppose all of Chase's runs are meaningfull and few of Crawfords are. Your just butt hurt that we only had one offensive weapon in that game and you still couldnt stop him after stacking the box to do it.

So what is you answer when Smith runs through your secondary like DC did. Oh right, you wont have an answer, and if you even try to stack the box against WSU like you did against us, Higgins, Toon and the rest will be living in your endzone.

Yes, we are all "butt hurt" about that game

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
The Griz team itself knows that this is their only blemish, they have more to play for right now. Weber is playing for semis, Montana is playing for semis AND revenge.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the love, Cats! I couldn't have said it better myself!

What was gbhmt thinking?!?? ...the Grizz have learned to "stop the run now?" ...against Idaho State?!?? xconfusedx

It was against MSU. Watch some film before you try and talk about the game. We blitzed on their first two possessions and Crawford was unstoppable. After that we figured out that putting our LB's on spy instead of blitz was effective and Crawford was quiet the rest of the game. If you don't have anything but stats to look at don't try and act like you know anything about our team. The coaches will be watching the MSU game tape to get their game on for Smith.

srgrizizen
November 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM

EDIT: Expect is a strong word here. How's about anticipate a win?

I Bleed Purple has me convinced that UM is clearly a decisive underdog in this game. Barring an upset, IBP can add another scoreboard picture to his posts to celebrate a fantastic (though somewhat rare) WSU season. But if the Griz DO "luck out," will he post a new scoreboard picture?

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, not many gave them a chance against CP either. That, and there's like two Weber fans on here.

As much as "revenge" might play into it, I don't think UM is going to stop Weber. They might commit less turnovers (I'd sure hope so), and the game will be closer than last time, but I think Weber prevails again.

Representin'.

And that's twice as many than the two years I was here prior to now.

dgreco
November 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Montana at home

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I Bleed Purple has me convinced that UM is clearly a decisive underdog in this game. Barring an upset, IBP can add another scoreboard picture to his posts to celebrate a fantastic (though somewhat rare) WSU season. But if the Griz DO "luck out," will he post a new scoreboard picture?

I'll answer here the same way I answered earlier (not sure if it was the same thread or not): Why would I change it? It's a damn fine picture taken by a damn fine guy.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
UM will have a better defensive scheme, will fill gaps better, and won't miss as many tackles this time. Smith will get his yards, but he won't hurt UM like he did last time. He was the key to WSU's offense in the first game.

UM was pretty much the only team I saw gear for the pass and not the run. I remember the safeties playing back more and they seemed more concerned with the pass. It contributed to Higgins only throwing for 239. You gear up on Smith like everyone else has and you'll get torched on the outside.

It's been amazing to see it unfold. Toone doesn't run many routes. In press man, he'll streak or slant. In man off coverage, he runs curls and short outs. In zone, he runs posts and crosses. And he gets open a majority of the time.

It's in Montana's best interest to hide there defensive scheme as much as possible, or to fake a lot of it. Higgins seems to have free reign to audible into one of those routes if he sees a certain coverage.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Representin'.

And that's twice as many than the two years I was here prior to now.

Hey, there's like maybe 3 or 4 EWU fans on AGS, but excepting the rare appearance of Kalm or EdubAlum, I'm the only one that posts. Somebody's gotta represent right? xpeacex

Native
November 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
It wasn't exactly a blowout, either.

I also think if Weber fans are predicting a blowout, they might be sorely disappointed.

Nobody here predicting a blowout!

spdram
November 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I think Weber comes in on a high after knocking off CP, they win a close one.

mtgrizfankb
November 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't understand the "revenge" factor. I don't think the fact that Weber has beaten Montana this year will help determine the outcome. I doubt the Montana plays want to lose less now that they're playing Weber again.

the POINT is they want it MORE NOW..... before you were just weber state the big sky team... now your WEBER STATE THE TEAM THAT PISSED US OFF. and our quaterfinal matchup

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I predicted that Montana would win 29-13 over Texas State which was pretty close so I feel compelled to make another prediction.

Weber has gotten close a few times - but never won at Wash-Griz.

I predict:

Montana wins 30-24.

appmountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Gotta go with Montana. Home field at Montana is almost as good as The Rockxsmiley_wix

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Gotta go with Montana. Home field at Montana is almost as good as The Rockxsmiley_wix

Unless they're playing Eastern. xsmiley_wix

appstate38
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Home field, playoff experience and tough to beat a team twice. Got to go with the Griz in a shoot out.

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM

The discuss bit was to discuss your vote in the poll.

bpcats
November 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM
UM and Montana match up very well against each other. The problem with Montana has been getting off to a fast start. If they continue that trend Weber should be able to hold on.

Either way should be a great game.

slycat
November 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Montana can't come out flat like they did against Texas St. This will be a great game IMO.

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Weber by 6. Why not?xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I predicted that Montana would win 29-13 over Texas State which was pretty close so I feel compelled to make another prediction.

Weber has gotten close a few times - but never won at Wash-Griz.

I predict:

Montana wins 30-24.

Ah ha, REVENGE. REVENGE for those last two games we should have won in Missoula. Our REVENGE factor outweighs yours!!!!!

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ah ha, REVENGE. REVENGE for those last two games we should have won in Missoula. Our REVENGE factor outweighs yours!!!!!

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

No way!!! Ours revenge is more recent.

Shades of 2004 with Sam Houston State perhaps??
:D :D :D

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Montana can't come out flat like they did against Texas St. This will be a great game IMO.

Will this be like 2001?

We came out flat against fellow SLC'er NW State and were down 13-0 at halftime.

Then we won the NC a few weeks later.

Oh well a guy can dream. I use the past to make me feel better as you can see.

GolfingGriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Pressure on Higgins will be the key to this game. We can't let him sit back their and pick us apart. The number "45" will be everywhere this week and planted firmly in the Grizzly defences minds. I like Montana in this one and winning the big sky conference championship game.

Montana 31
Weber 23

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Pressure on Higgins will be the key to this game. We can't let him sit back their and pick us apart. The number "45" will be everywhere this week and planted firmly in the Grizzly defences minds. I like Montana in this one and winning the big sky conference championship game.

Montana 31
Weber 23

I agree. I think UM turns up the defensive pressure ALOT in this one. We shot ourselves in the foot last time - had a great chance to get a big lead before squandering it in the second quarter. Of course the Wildcats kept their foot on the pedal and flat-out dominated us in the second half, but I think that second quarter turn-around was what did us in. That was the only time this year the Griz have been outscored in the second-half I believe.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
To let you guys know, even though we lost to EWU, Peach, the guy who had around 80 sacks this year (maybe Screamin' can help us out with the real number) had none. 2-3 a game I think is our average. We have draft prospects blocking out there.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
To let you guys know, even though we lost to EWU, Peach, the guy who had around 80 sacks this year (maybe Screamin' can help us out with the real number) had none. 2-3 a game I think is our average. We have draft prospects blocking out there.

Peach finished his season with 18, and 35 or 36 and a half on his career.

Although he didn't get any sacks, he did get a key fumble recovery to seal the deal! xthumbsupx xnodx

GrizRchattybound
November 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
One of the best OL I have seen in the BSC...ever.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Although he didn't get any sacks, he did get a key fumble recovery to seal the deal! xthumbsupx xnodx

And here we were, having a good ol' time, hangin' out, friendly chit-chat and everything, and you had to go and bring that up. xsmhx

DuckDuckGriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Just curious here - I know your OL is talented - but how many of your games were played on grass vs artificial turf?

placidlakegriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Lets see 35 points and a win.
Or 3 points and an having your a$$ handed to you.

Who was butt hurt??

rob_p469
November 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
No matter what, Montana needs to stay within 10 points of Weber in the first half. If we can accomplish that, our O-line will wear on them enough to squeak out a close win. Limit the big plays, avoid 3 and 10+, and we win going away...
Montana 41
Weber 28

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
And here we were, having a good ol' time, hangin' out, friendly chit-chat and everything, and you had to go and bring that up. xsmhx

:D

placidlakegriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Are you going to go through every RB's year and decide which runs should be counted and which should not?

Explain to me how his 84 run on the second play of the game, and a 28 yard run on the last play of the game were meaningful?

placidlakegriz
November 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM
UM and Montana match up very well against each other. The problem with Montana has been getting off to a fast start. If they continue that trend Weber should be able to hold on.

Either way should be a great game.

????? WHAT ??????

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Just curious here - I know your OL is talented - but how many of your games were played on grass vs artificial turf?

Hmm...Let's see.

All home games on grass.
At Hawaii was turf
At Utah was field turf
I believe Sacramento is grass
NAU is turf
Idaho State is concrete
Cal Poly was grass.
Forgot MSU. I believe they have a turf now.

GOKATS
November 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
After watching both teams play yesterday (and many times this season) I give the nod to WSU, I simply think they're the better team at this time and unlike a team from another conference they're not intimidated by wa/griz. I also think it was a major FU on the part of the selection committee to set up a bracket that pairs these two teams (along with Cal Poly) in the first two rounds.

Peems
November 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I have to pick UM! But I will not be surprised if we lose this one. Like I said earlier, how will we stop Smith? Higgins has played in Wa-Griz and it was his first start of his career! He'll be ready but so will the Griz and the crowd. Chase better not even get touched in practice this week, he might get 45 carries this week!!!!

BCS Sucks
November 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Im going to predict Good guys 24 Weber 21

putter
November 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Poly put up over 500 yards against Weber and handed them 4 or 5 turnovers. If the Griz can click early and put up over 500 against Weber then the score will be reversed with Montana winning. This will be a slugfest though....xnodx

DaGriz
November 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I'd say Weber is the better team but some how these are the games Montana finds a win to win. Cal Poly was the better team earlier this year when we played them too. I also think Hauck is the best second half coach we've maybe ever had. His half time adjustments are excellent (he lacks in other areas but half time adjustments are not one of them). So it will be interesting to see what kinds of adjustments he makes from game 1 to this game. I also agree with the revenge factor. I think it's so hard to beat the same team twice in one year. What do you change up if you won? Nothing. You stick with what worked. The team that lost will probably change a lot of things.
Anyway you look at it I hope the weather is decent, I want to see how the running backs and QB's play in good weather. May the best team win. Should be a fun one.
Griz 38
Weber 35
(I'm not real confident with that outcome or score.)

DaGriz
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
After watching both teams play yesterday (and many times this season) I give the nod to WSU, I simply think they're the better team at this time and unlike a team from another conference they're not intimidated by wa/griz. I also think it was a major FU on the part of the selection committee to set up a bracket that pairs these two teams (along with Cal Poly) in the first two rounds.

Dang, I agree with a Cat fan. The world must be coming to an end or something. (I'm not giving the nod to WSU though, everything else I agree with.

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Agreed.

jmufan999
November 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
i'm absolutely shocked more people aren't voting for Weber.

I am more afraid of Weber. they didn't just beat Montana, they SPANKED them by 17 this year. you can use the "it's hard to beat the same team twice" thing, but it's a little harder to justify when you lost by THREE possessions. and i don't want to hear any excuses about "how it could have been closer", blah blah blah. 17 is 17, period. i don't care where the game was played. and no, i don't think that playing in Missoula is enough to erase that kind of advantage.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM

I am more afraid of Weber. they didn't just beat Montana, they SPANKED them by 17 this year. you can use the "it's hard to beat the same team twice" thing, but it's a little harder to justify when you lost by THREE possessions. and i don't want to hear any excuses about "how it could have been closer", blah blah blah. 17 is 17, period. i don't care where the game was played. and no, i don't think that playing in Missoula is enough to erase that kind of advantage.

Haven't looked into the teams much have you? From the beginning of the season through the Weber game, UM gave up 28.4 pts a game. Since then, the defense has given up 8.1 per game (8th in the nation in scoring defense). Also, at the time of the Weber game Montana had not yet discovered Chase Reynolds, who is now Montana's best weapon on offense and adds a dimension to it that was not present at the time. Weber will now have to defend a well-balanced offense.

Montana's improved incredibly since the Weber game. Weber has inevitably improved as well, but UM's got a younger squad with a startling learning curve. It takes a lazy onlooker to believe these are the same two teams as earlier this year. They're now much more evenly matched.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Luckily this is a new game and we won't have to worry about overcoming that 17 point deficit as I believe they will start the scoreboard at 0-0. I haven't checked the rule book though and I could have that wrong.

As a side note to why I feel we have a good shot against a very strong Weber team is the fact that if we don't have the misfortune of turning the ball over so much we should be able to keep the score down on Weber a little. In the last game they only had to travel an average of 38 yds./score. If you give a good team like Weber that short of a field they are gonna lay it on you.

GOKATS
November 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Haven't looked into the teams much have you? From the beginning of the season through the Weber game, UM gave up 28.4 pts a game. Since then, the defense has given up 8.1 per game (8th in the nation in scoring defense). Also, at the time of the Weber game Montana had not yet discovered Chase Reynolds, who is now Montana's best weapon on offense and adds a dimension to it that was not present at the time. Weber will now have to defend a well-balanced offense.

Montana's improved incredibly since the Weber game. Weber has inevitably improved as well, but UM's got a younger squad with a startling learning curve. It takes a lazy onlooker to believe these are the same two teams as earlier this year. They're now much more evenly matched.

A "little" ronblow? Nah.............he/she/it is impotent.xwhistlex xwhistlex

McNeese75
November 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM

I agree, it is very tough to take a team down twice.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Sam Houston beat us by 12 in the regular season in 2004, and we beat them by 21 at Wa-Griz in the playoffs. I'm in no way saying this guarantees that we'll beat Weber, but just because they "spanked" us in the first game we played doesn't mean we can't beat them.

GolfingGriz
November 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Sam Houston beat us by 12 in the regular season in 2004, and we beat them by 21 at Wa-Griz in the playoffs. I'm in no way saying this guarantees that we'll beat Weber, but just because they "spanked" us in the first game we played doesn't mean we can't beat them.

Lots of similarities between that game in 2004 and now. Should be fun.

Green Laser
November 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I voted for Weber State but think it will be very close and might end up going to Montana. This could be one of the best match ups in the whole playoffs, I only regret it couldn’t happen deeper into the playoffs. When I saw Weber play at Sac State early in the season I was impressed mostly by their balance, they do a lot of things well. I wasn’t entirely surprised that Weber beat Montana but that day the Griz had one of their very rare bad games and Weber was able to take advantage of it. Good luck to both the Griz and Wildcats I hope that you have a hard fought well played game and show the rest of the Country how great "War A Week" Big Sky Conference Football is!

Weber State 35

Montana 31

CrazyCat
November 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I'm afraid to give an answer, in fear of making gb's signature. :)

Green26
November 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
JMU, how do you explain Weber's loss a week ago to EWU, a team that UM clobbered?

As others have said, how do you explain the much improved (young) defense of UM?

How do you explain the emergence of UM's Chase Reynolds? He has outgained Smith in the past 6 games.

How are you going to explain Villanova's defeat of JMU this weekend?

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm afraid to give an answer, in fear of making gb's signature. :)

Haha I don't miss a golden opportunity;)

In all honesty though, it'd have to be pretty over the top. I like to keep em for a little while. Although, I might have to put that post itself in it eventually.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I have no choice but pick Montana. I know, I know, homer pick. It just seems that this Griz team has found a way to win since Weber handed it to us. Sometimes it doesn't look all that pretty, but a win is a win and 3 more is all I am asking for this year :D Eastern Washington showed that Weber can be beaten. Whether it was that Weber beat themselves, or Eastern won, doesn’t matter, different discussion. ;) Weber has to be loving it right now. If they want to prove they are for real (which I think they are, regardless of this upcoming weekend’s results), this is their chance. I don't care what other teams say, they won't be happy to be playing Weber if they have just beaten CP and Montana on successive weekends. That said, the road to the semi's goes through Missoula and I like our chances this weekend. I think the Griz left Ogden with a bad taste in their mouth and will be looking for a little pay-back. There would be nothing sweater than to beat someone that blemished your record this year on the way to the semi’s. I also think that blemish made the Griz team better, so I'd rather win this matchup xpeacex

BobcatSymphony
December 1st, 2008, 12:56 AM
This TxSt Bobcat is rooting for the Griz all the way to Chatty (hopefully). xcoolx

GolfingGriz
December 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Haha I don't miss a golden opportunity;)

In all honesty though, it'd have to be pretty over the top. I like to keep em for a little while. Although, I might have to put that post itself in it eventually.

I'm really glad you made that post your sig. When I read the post I thought it was so funny how proud he was of their achievment(or lack there of in my opinion).

WyomingGrizFan
December 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Montana's improved incredibly since the Weber game. Weber has inevitably improved as well

Inevitably? Weber State for the first time in BSC history had a chance to win the 'Regular Season Championship' outright against Eastern Washington and they failed to do so. They've never done so. They choked, royally.The Second Round of the I-AA (FCS) Playoffs is as far as the Wildcats have ever gone; the last and only other time was back in 1987 when they defeated Idaho 59 - 30 in the First Round, then losing to Marshall 23 - 51 in the Second. Interestingly, Idaho defeated Weber St. in the regular season that year. tough to beat a team twice in the same year. I don't think Weber St. has the temerity to do it twice either. From here on in the plot thickens. The pressure cooker is beginning to whistle. Weber State has lost as badly as they have won; that does not bode well for any lengthy stay in the Play-offs (Along with the fact that their 2007 BSC 2nd Team All-Conference WR/Special Teams Bryant Eteuati is suspended indefinitely).

The Griz in overtime in a defensive struggle. One can squeeze just so much blood out of a turnip.

Native
December 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Inevitably? Weber State for the first time in BSC history had a chance to win the 'Regular Season Championship' outright against Eastern Washington and they failed to do so. They've never done so. They choked, royally.The Second Round of the I-AA (FCS) Playoffs is as far as the Wildcats have ever gone; the last and only other time was back in 1987 when they defeated Idaho 59 - 30 in the First Round, then losing to Marshall 23 - 51 in the Second. Interestingly, Idaho defeated Weber St. in the regular season that year. tough to beat a team twice in the same year. I don't think Weber St. has the temerity to do it twice either. From here on in the plot thickens. The pressure cooker is beginning to whistle. Weber State has lost as badly as they have won; that does not bode well for any lengthy stay in the Play-offs (Along with the fact that their 2007 BSC 2nd Team All-Conference WR/Special Teams Bryant Eteuati is suspended indefinitely).

The Griz in overtime in a defensive struggle. One can squeeze just so much blood out of a turnip.

"...Lost as badly as they have won?!?" How do your figure? The lads were chastened by losing to EWU, but they were in the Eagles' red zone with a minute or so left, with the potential for a game winning TD. Of course, they then fumbled, which sealed the deal for EWU, but it was about as "royal" a loss as was Cal Poly's close loss to Montana.

Do you really think UM could have put up 49 points on Poly last week? Do you really think the Grizz could have held CP to fewer than 35 points?

If the Montana offense were as prolific as the recent performance of its defense, I would say Montana should be favored.

The plot is not thick. The pressure is on Montana more so than Weber State.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
"The pressure is on Montana more so than Weber State.

I disagree, I think Weber will be feeling the pressure this week more so than the Griz. Weren't we picked like 3rd in the conference at the beginning of the year? It should be a good game and I like our chances at home. Rubber matches can be quite interesting xnodx

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM
This TxSt Bobcat is rooting for Griz all the way. xcoolx

Hey thanks man. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hey thanks man. :D

I met him this weekend Grizzall and he and his buds are another group of real cool people and fans that anyone that gets a chance to have a beer with should do so.

asucrutch23
December 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
I met him this weekend Grizzall and he and his buds are another group of real cool people and fans that anyone that gets a chance to have a beer with should do so.

But Grizzalltheway isn't 21. xnonox xnonox xrulesx xrulesx

LOL.

AZGrizFan
December 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Wow. 132-63 right now. Absolutely no love for the Wildcats.....surprising.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM

I love how everyone talks about how Weber choked.

I mean, it's not like Eastern was any good or put up points against Weber or anything like that.

cats2506
December 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM

I thought Eteuati was back?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM

LOL.

Man he has got to be getting close. He did make an appearance at the Griz Challenge and met a lot of us in spite of the handicap.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
"...Lost as badly as they have won?!?" How do your figure? The lads were chastened by losing to EWU, but they were in the Eagles' red zone with a minute or so left, with the potential for a game winning TD. Of course, they then fumbled, which sealed the deal for EWU, but it was about as "royal" a loss as was Cal Poly's close loss to Montana.

1.Do you really think UM could have put up 49 points on Poly last week? 2.Do you really think the Grizz could have held CP to fewer than 35 points?

If the Montana offense were as prolific as the recent performance of its defense, I would say Montana should be favored.

The plot is not thick. The pressure is on Montana more so than Weber State.

1. No

2. Yes

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I thought Eteuati was back?

He is.

apppackdad
December 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
1.Revenge
2.Wash-Griz
3.Playoff experience

1+2+3 = 6 point win for Griz.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 01:43 PM
1. Already beat them once.
2. Barely lost last time in WA-Griz, so they also want revenge.
3. Better team, more weapons.
4. Already played at Utah and Hawaii... large crowd won't be a factor.

1+2+3+4= 10 point win for Weber.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
I would have thought the Mods would have helped me out by now, and put a 't' in the thread title. Guess not.

DOWN WITH MONANA!!! xlolx

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM

LOL.

Hasn't stopped me yet. xcoffeex :D

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM

I hope that is exactly what Weber is thinking too xsmiley_wix

1. I concede this (1)
2. Revenge favors Griz, that game was last year (-2)
3. I call a push (0)
4. Utah was cheering for Weber lol, I call push (0)
5. Over confidence (-5)
1-2+0+0-5= 7 point loss for Weber

4th and What?
December 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM

I hope you don't run the scoreboard for the Griz xoopsx

putter
December 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Weber overlooked Eastern going into the game and the Eagles played like they should have played all year...Eastern wins. I watched some of the highlights of the Poly game and Weber was successful using the same plays that worked against the Griz the first time. Hopefully this will work into the Griz's favor as they have seen them before. This will be a toss up and no one is wrong for picking one or the other but I think the margin will be close, 10- or less either way.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
Weber overlooked Eastern going into the game and the Eagles played like they should have played all year...Eastern wins. I watched some of the highlights of the Poly game and Weber was successful using the same plays that worked against the Griz the first time. Hopefully this will work into the Griz's favor as they have seen them before. This will be a toss up and no one is wrong for picking one or the other but I think the margin will be close, 10- or less either way.

I mentioned this in the game thread. Obvious they've seen them on tape and they still worked great. We haven't run the fake option shovel pass for awhile, so that play might be brought out again this game.

apppackdad
December 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I hope that is exactly what Weber is thinking too xsmiley_wix

1. I concede this (1)
2. Revenge favors Griz, that game was last year (-2)
3. I call a push (0)
4. Utah was cheering for Weber lol, I call push (0)
5. Over confidence (-5)
xreadx
1-2+0+0-5= -6 Just maybe?

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
I disagree, I think Weber will be feeling the pressure this week more so than the Griz. Weren't we picked like 3rd in the conference at the beginning of the year? It should be a good game and I like our chances at home. Rubber matches can be quite interesting xnodx

Weber was picked fifth. I'm confused to what point this raises.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Weber was picked fifth. I'm confused to what point this raises.

I think it means that the season has been a success no matter what happens this weekend. You don't loose as many starters as we did and have the kind of season we are having and not be happy with it. I still like our chances Satuday, but it's been a good year no matter what.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
xreadx
1-2+0+0-5= -6 Just maybe?

Dammit, better math hehe xrotatehx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Dammit, better math hehe xrotatehx

I hope none of the Griz players are math majors... with a program like that, they might not know if it's 3rd or 4th down! xlolx xlolx xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
So who is making the trip from Utah to Missoula this weekend? I was up there last weekend, going again this weekend. Roads were good, hope they stay that way. It's only about 7 hrs to get your butts up there! :D

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
So who is making the trip from Utah to Missoula this weekend? I was up there last weekend, going again this weekend. Roads were good, hope they stay that way. It's only about 7 hrs to get your butts up there! :D

xbowx

And you're still married?

To the same woman? xeyebrowx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 02:42 PM
xbowx

And you're still married?

To the same woman? xeyebrowx

Well, it is Wife Ver 2.0 :D

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well, it is Wife Ver 2.0 :D

Downloaded the "firm"ware and bought her some new "soft"ware? xeyebrowx

:D xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM

17. They beat us by 17
12. Cameron Higgins
34. Chase Reynolds

-17+(-12)+34= Griz by 5

trouthunter
December 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
It will be a good game, close but I have to give it to the griz--tough to beat 'em twice--especially at home.

UD97HENS
December 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
I told ya last week and I'll say it again...The Grizz at home?...You are kidding right?....MONTANA!!!

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM
I told ya last week and I'll say it again...The Grizz at home?...You are kidding right?....MONTANA!!!

Were you saying that last year too when Wofford came to town? xeyebrowx

Grizaholic17
December 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM

Look at join date :p :p :p

GolfingGriz
December 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Look at join date :p :p :p

Interesting time to join as a UD fan.

putter
December 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
17. They beat us by 17
12. Cameron Higgins
34. Chase Reynolds

-17+(-12)+34= Griz by 5

don't you have to give Weber extra credit for allowing Etuati to play with his warrants and plea bargains......maybe 7 points just for having the balls to do it?

Grizaholic17
December 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM
I went to pick up student ticket today, the Guest passes sold out (of course), and there was a line...but alot of students aren't willing to pay FIVE DOLLARS for a ticket. Disgraceful. Plus it's cold. But without a doubt the student section will be sold out and loud! GO GRIZ!

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2008, 04:54 PM
I went to pick up student ticket today, the Guest passes sold out (of course), and there was a line...but alot of students aren't willing to pay FIVE DOLLARS for a ticket. Disgraceful. Plus it's cold. But without a doubt the student section will be sold out and loud! GO GRIZ!

As far as I know, that's all the NCAA's doing, not the athletic department's.

Peems
December 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
The best thing about charging for the tickets is that the people who want to be there for the game will be, and the socializing can just take place outside of the confines of Wa-Griz

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM

He might not have been but you were. Nice to see that you can choose from the other column so easily once it's over. I think opposing teams records overall could prompt a guy to think as he does. It may not hold true this weekend but I could see how someone would think that.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Alright I'm gonna do The Edge, Missoulian Gameday sports section style.

Offense

QB
Cameron Higgins is the best throwing quarterback in the nation, his numbers speak for themselves. Bergquist is a great passer himself, gets the job done when he's on, and is much more dangerous as a runner both on designed plays and scrambles. But Higgins is just too consistent and deadly precise to not give him the nod. Edge WSU.

RB
Trevyn Smith is the third year reigning Big Sky rushing leader, and he's got a deadly combination of speed, patience, and downright strength; don't try to take this guy down alone. That's exactly how one would describe Chase Reynolds, however. Why hasn't he been in the limelight? He didn't start till mid-season. Had he been putting up his numbers since the get-go, he'd have as many yards as Smith. No Edge.

OL
Weber's line is rock solid. Montana's line is massive, averaging over 300 pounds, but gives up a lot of sacks. Both lines head great ground games. No Edge

WR
Tim Toone just came off a career day in SLO, Etuati's back, Nakamura's ever-productive, and Phillips is great as well. Oh and Smith is an ace receiver downfield as well. Montana's got the best wideout in the BSC in Marc Mariani, and if he was well enough to catch a TD with his ankle sprain against Texas State, he'll be fine this Saturday. Throw in more great receivers in Ferriter, Schulte, and Palmer, and you've got another outstanding receiving corps. No Edge.

Offense Overall: Both offenses are great. Weber wins easily in pass offense. Montana wins easily in rush offense. Weber wins total offense with UM right behind in second. Weber wins scoring offense with UM also in second. The only weapon Weber has that UM can't match is Cameron Higgins, but it's enough justification for Edge WSU.

Defense
LB
I really couldn't tell you much about this one, I don't know enough about Weber's LB group. Montana's is solid and when it's set to contain as opposed to blitz, is very quick and tough against the run. Since I don't know enough about this one, No Edge.

DL
Stats for sacks are neck and neck, with a slight advantage to UM, but the difference comes in run defense. Weber gives up about 30 more yards a game than the Griz, with the Griz ranking 28th nationally and Weber ranking 52nd. Edge UM

CB
UM leads the BSC in pass defense with Weber in close second. Weber leads BSC in interceptions, two ahead of UM. No Edge.

Safeties
UM beats anyone in the nation in this category, with FCS' best safety in Colt Anderson. And he's accompanied by an outstanding Shann Shillinger. Edge UM

Overall Defense: Weber wins in turnovers gained. Montana wins in total defense, rushing defense, pass defense, scoring defense (8th in FCS), and turnover margin. Easy to call this one as Edge UM.

Special Teams

Punting
Ken Wood is a stud for UM, and is 4th in FCS in net punting. Edge UM.

Kicking
Neither teams possess a forte in this area, with Montana's Brody McKnight at 70th in FCS and Weber's Jon Williams at 79th. No Edge.

Returns
At the beginning of the year, I would have had to give this to Etuati, one of the premier returners in FCS. But Mariani has done much more to prove himself, sitting at 3rd in FCS in punt returns, 14 spots ahead of Etuati. Edge UM

Coverages
Montana's way ahead of Weber in kickoff return coverage while Weber has a more modest lead over UM in punt returns. Still not too decisive. No Edge

Overall Special Teams: In my opinion, one of Coach Hauck's greatest successes is his outstanding special teams. Weber has a gem in Etuati, but UM is solid across the board and I would bet on seeing Mariani in the return game for the Griz Saturday. Edge UM.

The Intangibles: This one's not tough. You can't beat the Griz in this category when they're playing at home. It's the definitive home field advantage with FCS, riding tandem with The Rock. Add a playoff-experienced UM team with some kids who've only lost one game and have another swing at the team that beat them, and it's a winning formula. Edge UM.

Phew. That took a while.

BCS Sucks
December 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
The griz will need to have a better first half performance than they had against Texas st and also they can't have turnovers in order to beat weber xnodx xnodx

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Not against Texas State he wasn't.

Yeah that was an obvious anomaly.

Peems
December 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
Alright I'm gonna do The Edge, Missoulian Gameday sports section style.

Offense

QB
Cameron Higgins is the best throwing quarterback in the nation, his numbers speak for themselves. Bergquist is a great passer himself, gets the job done when he's on, and is much more dangerous as a runner both on designed plays and scrambles. But Higgins is just too consistent and deadly precise to not give him the nod. Edge WSU.

RB
Trevyn Smith is the third year reigning Big Sky rushing leader, and he's got a deadly combination of speed, patience, and downright strength; don't try to take this guy down alone. That's exactly how one would describe Chase Reynolds, however. Why hasn't he been in the limelight? He didn't start till mid-season. Had he been putting up his numbers since the get-go, he'd have as many yards as Smith. No Edge.

OL
Weber's line is rock solid. Montana's line is massive, averaging over 300 pounds, but gives up a lot of sacks. Both lines head great ground games. No Edge

WR
Tim Toone just came off a career day in SLO, Etuati's back, Nakamura's ever-productive, and Phillips is great as well. Oh and Smith is an ace receiver downfield as well. Montana's got the best wideout in the BSC in Marc Mariani, and if he was well enough to catch a TD with his ankle sprain against Texas State, he'll be fine this Saturday. Throw in more great receivers in Ferriter, Schulte, and Palmer, and you've got another outstanding receiving corps. No Edge.

Offense Overall: Both offenses are great. Weber wins easily in pass offense. Montana wins easily in rush offense. Weber wins total offense with UM right behind in second. Weber wins scoring offense with UM also in second. The only weapon Weber has that UM can't match is Cameron Higgins, but it's enough justification for Edge WSU.

Defense
LB
I really couldn't tell you much about this one, I don't know enough about Weber's LB group. Montana's is solid and when it's set to contain as opposed to blitz, is very quick and tough against the run. Since I don't know enough about this one, No Edge.

DL
Stats for sacks are neck and neck, with a slight advantage to UM, but the difference comes in run defense. Weber gives up about 30 more yards a game than the Griz, with the Griz ranking 28th nationally and Weber ranking 52nd. Edge UM

CB
UM leads the BSC in pass defense with Weber in close second. Weber leads BSC in interceptions, two ahead of UM. No Edge.

Safeties
UM beats anyone in the nation in this category, with FCS' best safety in Colt Anderson. And he's accompanied by an outstanding Shann Shillinger. Edge UM

Overall Defense: Weber wins in turnovers gained. Montana wins in total defense, rushing defense, pass defense, scoring defense (8th in FCS), and turnover margin. Easy to call this one as Edge UM.

Special Teams

Punting

Kicking
Neither teams possess a forte in this area, with Montana's Brody McKnight at 70th in FCS and Weber's Jon Williams at 79th. No Edge.

Returns
At the beginning of the year, I would have had to give this to Etuati, one of the premier returners in FCS. But Mariani has done much more to prove himself, sitting at 3rd in FCS in punt returns, 14 spots ahead of Etuati. Edge UM

Coverages
Montana's way ahead of Weber in kickoff return coverage while Weber has a more modest lead over UM in punt returns. Still not too decisive. No Edge

Overall Special Teams: In my opinion, one of Coach Hauck's greatest successes is his outstanding special teams. Weber has a gem in Etuati, but UM is solid across the board and I would bet on seeing Mariani in the return game for the Griz Saturday. Edge UM.

The Intangibles: This one's not tough. You can't beat the Griz in this category when they're playing at home. It's the definitive home field advantage with FCS, riding tandem with The Rock. Add a playoff-experienced UM team with some kids who've only lost one game and have another swing at the team that beat them, and it's a winning formula. Edge UM.

Phew. That took a while.

Not bad, but as a Griz I would say Weber has the better OL, and if Tru doesn't play this weekend, I would say Weber will have the edge in Corners, we really need him back!!!

BCS Sucks
December 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Does anyone have any information on TJ and his injury

MTGrizzFan
December 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Not bad, but as a Griz I would say Weber has the better OL, and if Tru doesn't play this weekend, I would say Weber will have the edge in Corners, we really need him back!!!

They sure have been opening up some holes for chase tho.

MTGrizzFan
December 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have any information on TJ and his injury

Just that he didn't dress for the last game.

polecat
December 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM

Grizzies, after watching highlights of both teams, I don't think you have any idea of about what's about to hit you.

BCS Sucks
December 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
The key to the game will be turnovers xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

cats2506
December 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
FIFY GBHMT

Offense

QB

RB
Trevyn Smith is the third year reigning Big Sky rushing leader, and he's got a deadly combination of speed, patience, and downright strength; don't try to take this guy down alone. That's exactly how one would describe Chase Reynolds, however. Why hasn't he been in the limelight? He didn't start till mid-season. Had he been putting up his numbers since the get-go, he'd have as many yards as Smith. Edge WSU. just read what you wrote and you will see

OL
Weber's line is rock solid. Montana's line is massive, averaging over 300 pounds, but gives up a lot of sacks. Both lines head great ground games. Edge WSU um gives up too many sacks, see dl below

WR
Tim Toone just came off a career day in SLO, Etuati's back, Nakamura's ever-productive, and Phillips is great as well. Oh and Smith is an ace receiver downfield as well. Montana's got the best wideout in the BSC in Marc Mariani, and if he was well enough to catch a TD with his ankle sprain against Texas State, he'll be fine this Saturday. Throw in more great receivers in Ferriter, Schulte, and Palmer, and you've got another outstanding receiving corps. Edge WSU. um has 1 good threat and the rest are fair, WSU has several good threats

Defense
LB

DL

CB
UM leads the BSC in pass defense with Weber in close second. Weber leads BSC in interceptions, two ahead of UM. Edge WSU. They will shut you down

Safeties

Overall Defense: Weber wins in turnovers gained. Montana wins in total defense, rushing defense, pass defense, scoring defense (8th in FCS), and turnover margin. Easy to call this one as No Edge. About even

Special Teams

Punting

Kicking

Returns
At the beginning of the year, I would have had to give this to Etuati, one of the premier returners in FCS. But Mariani has done much more to prove himself, sitting at 3rd in FCS in punt returns, 14 spots ahead of Etuati. Edge WSU option 1 kick short like you did last time or kick to Etuati, either way WSU wins this one

Coverages

The Intangibles: This one's not tough. You can't beat the Griz in this category when they're playing at home. It's the definitive home field advantage with FCS, riding tandem with The Rock. Add a playoff-experienced UM team with some kids who've only lost one game and have another swing at the team that beat them, and it's a winning formula. No Edge WSU is on a mission

BCS Sucks
December 1st, 2008, 10:03 PM
The Intangibles: This one's not tough. You can't beat the Griz in this category when they're playing at home. It's the definitive home field advantage with FCS, riding tandem with The Rock. Add a playoff-experienced UM team with some kids who've only lost one game and have another swing at the team that beat them, and it's a winning formula. No Edge WSU is on a mission

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

FCS Go!
December 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Grizzies, after watching highlights of both teams, I don't think you have any idea of about what's about to hit you.

xlolx Well played.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM

Thank you moonbat. If we win this week I need you back with your good luck statement.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1232370&postcount=229

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
FIFY GBHMT

Offense

QB

RB
Trevyn Smith is the third year reigning Big Sky rushing leader, and he's got a deadly combination of speed, patience, and downright strength; don't try to take this guy down alone. That's exactly how one would describe Chase Reynolds, however. Why hasn't he been in the limelight? He didn't start till mid-season. Had he been putting up his numbers since the get-go, he'd have as many yards as Smith. Edge WSU. just read what you wrote and you will see

OL
Weber's line is rock solid. Montana's line is massive, averaging over 300 pounds, but gives up a lot of sacks. Both lines head great ground games. Edge WSU um gives up too many sacks, see dl below

WR
Tim Toone just came off a career day in SLO, Etuati's back, Nakamura's ever-productive, and Phillips is great as well. Oh and Smith is an ace receiver downfield as well. Montana's got the best wideout in the BSC in Marc Mariani, and if he was well enough to catch a TD with his ankle sprain against Texas State, he'll be fine this Saturday. Throw in more great receivers in Ferriter, Schulte, and Palmer, and you've got another outstanding receiving corps. Edge WSU. um has 1 good threat and the rest are fair, WSU has several good threats

Defense
LB

DL

CB
UM leads the BSC in pass defense with Weber in close second. Weber leads BSC in interceptions, two ahead of UM. Edge WSU. They will shut you down

Safeties

Overall Defense: Weber wins in turnovers gained. Montana wins in total defense, rushing defense, pass defense, scoring defense (8th in FCS), and turnover margin. Easy to call this one as No Edge. About even

Special Teams

Punting

Kicking

Returns
At the beginning of the year, I would have had to give this to Etuati, one of the premier returners in FCS. But Mariani has done much more to prove himself, sitting at 3rd in FCS in punt returns, 14 spots ahead of Etuati. Edge WSU option 1 kick short like you did last time or kick to Etuati, either way WSU wins this one

Coverages

Ignore Griz strengths, offer nothing new about Weber.

Typical Cat input

Defenses about even??? 8th ranked scoring defense vs. 43rd ranked??? What are you smoking? You as a Cat should know, they let you score nine more points than the measly three you got against the Griz.

One good threat at WR for the Griz? The Griz's top two receivers have more TDs than Weber's top three. Mike Ferriter has more TDs than Toone, Phillips, and Etuati.

Weber's CBs will shut us down? Really? Who has the top passing D in the conference? I thought I spelled that out for you enough, buddy.

Etuati's outright a better returner than Mariani? How many TDs does he have? Where does he rank nationally? Did you even read that section??? Once again, the Bozeman public school system seemed to fail you on that one.

I just don't know what to say about "Weber is on a mission." Did you run out of things to say? So lost you began quoting the Blues Brothers? Still dizzy from Cat/Griz??

What a mess of a post, man.

MTGrizzFan
December 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM

Well, since we played them once this year I think we have a pretty good idea of what weeb does.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Well, since we played them once this year I think we have a pretty good idea of what weeb does.

I'm pretty sure he's employing a good sense of humor on that one. See my last post on this thread.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ignore Griz strengths, offer nothing new about Weber.

Typical Cat input

Oh and defenses about even??? 8th ranked scoring defense vs. 43rd ranked??? What are you smoking? You as a Cat should know, they let you score nine more points than the measly three you got against the Griz.

That's the absolute lowest amount of points your offense can actually score. They really should have just punted on first down in the second half and let their defense try scoring points for a while.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:31 PM
That's the absolute lowest amount of points your offense can actually score. They really should have just punted on first down in the second half and let their defense try scoring points for a while.

Nah they were still sore from Chase rippin em a new one in the second half.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I hope you're not implying, ursus, that since you stopped the offensive juggernaut that is Montana State you'll stop the paltry Weber offense...

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
I hope you're not implying, ursus, that since you stopped the offensive juggernaut that is Montana State you'll stop the paltry Weber offense...

No he was just trying to disprove the bizarre notion that Weber's D is as good as UM's.

cats2506
December 1st, 2008, 10:37 PM

They have a tendency to forget what cats they are playing xsmiley_wix

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM

No we're aware. We're playing the good ones.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM

I don't know how you would even come up with that but I do hope it comes out that way. You should read some of my other posts on the subject and you'll recognize my retort to what a Bobcat fan said as an honest to goodness way that I think they could have scored more points since their offense couldn't do it. I hope you're not implying that I was implying something that I never implied. Let us make no more implication simplifications.

MTGrizzFan
December 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM
No we're aware. We're playing the good ones.

xlolx

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
I hope you're not implying that you believe UM's receiving corps to be more of a threat than Weber's. :p

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
I hope you're not implying that you believe UM's receiving corps to be more of a threat than Weber's. :p

I'm implying that it's just as good. Find me a better tandem in FCS than Mariani and Ferriter and I'll leave it at that.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM

We the fans are discussing and since you jumped in we wanted to include you. The teams are preparing for each other and i will try and make sure that my discussions on the board do not hinder their preparation.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Don't know. Weber receivers have accounted for 54 more points and an extra yard per attempt.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Don't know. Weber receivers have accounted for 54 more points and an extra yard per attempt.

Gimme Cam Higgins and we'll top that:p

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Gimme Cam Higgins and we'll top that:p

*shrug* Replace Mariani with Toone and you really wouldn't be all that different, just not as flashy.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM

xeyebrowx

Weber already hit 'em once. You think that an entire team can get amnesia or something? xcoffeex

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
*shrug* Replace Mariani with Toone and you really wouldn't be all that different, just not as flashy.

Yeah discounting those eight missing touchdowns...

Their yards per catch is identical. Mariani's just scored more touchdowns in less receptions.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah discounting those eight missing touchdowns...

Higgins spreads the ball around more. If he didn't have the receivers, Toone would have more TD catches. He had 4 in a snow game last year and is about to break Weber State's all time record in receiving touchdowns. Nakamura, the tight end, has become a favorite of Higgins inside the 10. As it stands, Toone has 20 more catches at the same yardage rate. You wouldn't lose anything.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Higgins spreads the ball around more. If he didn't have the receivers, Toone would have more TD catches. He had 4 in a snow game last year and is about to break Weber State's all time record in receiving touchdowns. Nakamura, the tight end, has become a favorite of Higgins inside the 10. As it stands, Toone has 20 more catches at the same yardage rate. You wouldn't lose anything.

If he spreads it around more then why does Toone have those 20 more touches on Mariani?xconfusedx

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Consider this. FIVE Weber State receivers total 35 touchdown receptions, none with more than 10 (Nakamura).

GolfingGriz
December 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
xeyebrowx

Weber already hit 'em once. You think that an entire team can get amnesia or something? xcoffeex

We'll remember what happened before. our defense has too much pride to let 45 get put on them again.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
If he spreads it around more then why does Toone have those 20 more touches on Mariani?xconfusedx

Weber State has 100 more pass attempts than Montana.

82 more completions.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Consider this. FIVE Weber State receivers total 35 touchdown receptions, none with more than 10 (Nakamura).

In 82 more completions. Just cause we don't pass the ball so much doesn't mean we've got the corps available for when we do.

Weber State has 100 more pass attempts than Montana.

82 more completions.

If you never handed it off to Smith, would it make him any worse of a back?

Mustang Man
December 1st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Weber played a very focused game against Poly. I see them picking up another win against Montana.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
In 82 more completions. Just cause we don't pass the ball so much doesn't mean we've got the corps available for when we do.

If you never handed it off to Smith, would it make him any worse of a back?

I noticed that. The stats seem to indicate that Montana will throw near the goal line more often. Looking at red zone offense doesn't corroborate that, however. Is Mariani just a big threat guy? Seems odd to me. Toone is the whole package, deep threat, hands guy, possession receiver, playmaker. He does catch at least one short out and around two to three slants per game. Totals just seem odd to me.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Looking at the stats led up to another interesting tidbit, red zone efficiency. Montana is best in red zone defense in the Big Sky, while they're worst in red zone offense. Weber was best in Red Zone offense in the Big Sky, and 5th in defense. Could that play a factor if the turnovers are even?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM
Looking at the stats led up to another interesting tidbit, red zone efficiency. Montana is best in red zone defense in the Big Sky, while they're worst in red zone offense. Weber was best in Red Zone offense in the Big Sky, and 5th in defense. Could that play a factor if the turnovers are even?

You heading up to the game IBP?

GolfingGriz
December 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM

I think it will. I'm predicting a 31 23 Griz victory. I have both teams having five scoring drives. I like our redzone defense to hold you to 2 TDs and 3FGs. I have the Griz finding the endzone 4 times and one McKnight fieldgoal. Its amazing what can happen to your redzone efficiency when you hand the ball to Chase Reynolds.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think it will. I'm predicting a 31 23 Griz victory. I have both teams having five scoring drives. I like our redzone defense to hold you to 2 TDs and 3FGs. I have the Griz finding the endzone 4 times and one McKnight fieldgoal. Its amazing what can happen to your redzone efficiency when you hand the ball to Chase Reynolds.

4 TD 1 FG in five trips for the worst Red Zone Offense and 2 TD 3 FG for the best Red Zone Offense?

Even if you want to go the other way around, our poorer stat is loads better than your poorer stat.

I Bleed Purple
December 1st, 2008, 11:31 PM
You heading up to the game IBP?

Naw, there's a class I go to on Saturday's that I'm generally unwilling to miss. Finishes at 12, so I may miss the first few minutes driving home and setting up the internet TV. Still hear it during that time, of course, but not viewing it.

My dad may go up, however.

GolfingGriz
December 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM
4 TD 1 FG in five trips for the worst Red Zone Offense and 2 TD 3 FG for the best Red Zone Offense?

Even if you want to go the other way around, our poorer stat is loads better than your poorer stat.

I understand your questioning, but this isn't the swiss cheese D you guys played in October. And as I said before, we are pretty good in the red zone when we let Chase and the Oline do the work.

hawkssb04
December 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Wow! If you would have asked me if Weber was going to get past Cal Poly on the road last week, I would have said now way, but once again I am suprised. The final score was 49-35, but if a few bad calls didn't go against the Wildcats (Phillips fumble call for example) WSU could have won it 63-27.

WSU is playing tremendous on the road this season. After pummeling Montana at home 45-28 on Oct 4., the Wildcats havn't looked all that great at home, nearly blowing it against Northern Colorado, winning ugly against Portland State, and going down against Eastern Washington. I know WSU hasn't beaten the Griz in Missoula since 1987, but they already ended several Montana streaks once this season. If there was ever a time that WSU could topple Montana on the road, this is the time.
I know many of the players personally, and they were devestated that they botched the final game of the year and had to share the conference title with Montana, even though they whooped em. And I expect they are hungrier than ever to beat the Griz this time around. Both squads are playing great right now, but after disposing of Cal Poly on the road, the Wildcats have to be in the Griz player's heads.xoopsx

Yes, Montana's defense is much stronger than Cal Poly's but their offense isn't nearly that of the Mustangs and WSU held them at bay for the most part. If WSU can stay turnover free, and not let penalties kill them (as the maroon and black striped officials in Missoula usually do to away teams) I don't think Montana can overcome Higgins, Smith, Toone and company.

Bergquist is a solid and smart quarterback, and Reynolds is coming on strong, but in the end I don't think the Griz have the depth or the momentum to match WSU's.
Of course, this game could go either way, but I have to go with WSU. It wont be the nailbiter everybody expects.

Weber State 41, Montana 31. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
December 2nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Bergquist is a solid and smart quarterback, and Reynolds is coming on strong, but in the end I don't think the Griz have the depth or the momentum to match WSU's.xlolx

I liked your post until you got to here. No team has better depth in FCS than Montana. No other team platoons like Montana. If we lose anyone, we have at least 2 people that can easily fill the gap.

If it comes down to depth, Montana will win this game. There are many, many, many more things I'm worried about other than depth. xrulesx

hawkssb04
December 2nd, 2008, 03:00 AM

I couldn't have said it much better my friend. By no means is WSU gonna blow out Montana in their house, but I dont think it will be terribly close either.
If anything, WSU is hungry as well. They're pissed they have to share the tile with the Griz and likely will look to settle the dispute over who the real champion is once and for all. I expect everybody that lives outside Montana will be pulling for WSU. The Griz have dominated for so long, they are like the Yankees....Everybody hates em. But hey, I guess winning will do that for ya.

Native
December 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM

Weber has a pretty good chance, too! If the turnovers are equal on both sides of the ball (i.e., number and location), we win. xlolx

Native
December 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM

Great point! This plethora of Weber State offensive weapons is what no one has the answer for. Add Smith, Mailei, White, and Higgins himself to the receivers. Even Montana does not have this kind of breadth and depth.

Although though the score went back and forth throughout the Cal Poly game, I was fairly confident we were going to win as soon as the Mustang defensive backs started dropping back 8-10 yards in coverage on every play after getting burned long by both Toone and Phillips.

Native
December 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
xlolx

I liked your post until you got to here. No team has better depth in FCS than Montana. No other team platoons like Montana. If we lose anyone, we have at least 2 people that can easily fill the gap.

If it comes down to depth, Montana will win this game. There are many, many, many more things I'm worried about other than depth. xrulesx

Your point is well taken. Montana does indeed have amazing depth! But Mac has developed amazing depth at Weber, too. What Montana cannot match this year is the breadth of WSU offensive weapons.

Tim Toone, Trevyn Smith, Bryant Eteuati, Mike Phillips, and Cody Nakamura each have five or more TD receptions this year, and Marcus Mailei has a couple, too. Everyone knows how well Trevyn can run the ball, but they tend to overlook our fullback Mailei and Trevyn's backup, Justin White. Key where you want, the ball can go where you fail to key.

Hellgate60
December 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I expect the Grizzlies best defense will be their Offense. They are just going to try and give the ball to Chase and let the offense stay on field as long as possible and let that explosive offense of Weber's watch from the sideline. That's what they did against Eastern Washington and Portland State

OLDMAIN80
December 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Got to go with my favorite non SOCON team...MONTANAxthumbsupx

cats2506
December 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I expect the Grizzlies best defense will be their Offense. They are just going to try and give the ball to Chase and let the offense stay on field as long as possible and let that explosive offense of Weber's watch from the sideline. That's what they did against Eastern Washington and Portland State

that has been the um defense all year, but it only works with the lead.

Hellgate60
December 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM

Well lets hope the Griz score on the opening drive then

cats2506
December 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Well lets hope the Griz score on the opening drive then

I see a repeat of the start against Tx St, only this time WSU can finish the deal

uofmman1122
December 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
I see a repeat of the start against Tx St, only this time WSU can finish the dealI suppose you saw the same thing two weeks ago, too. xrolleyesx xlolx

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
I see a repeat of the start against Tx St, only this time WSU can finish the deal

Yes and YOU have been RIGHT how many times this season?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Four factors for Saturday's game to consider:

1) Chase Reynolds was not the starting tailback until the Central Washington game, the week before Weber. In his last 6 games he's gone 137, 157, 160, 153, 115, 233. He's not the same kid you guys saw in Ogden on 10/4.

2) Turnovers: 4 turnovers. They came at critical points in the game and that killed us---enough said. We've got to take care of the ball.

3) Sacks: The Griz have been succeptible to giving up the big sack, and gave up SEVEN against Weber. During the season, the Griz gave up 46 sacks, which has taken the spark out of many a drive. They've GOT to protect Berquist better if they hope to win.

4) On 10/4, offensive output (yardage) was a wash. Time of possession was a wash. First downs--tied. The teams played to a virtual draw, except on the scoreboard, and here's why:

These are the length of Weber's scoring drives: 40 yards (7 plays, FG), 62 yards (7 plays, TD), 30 yards (1 play, TD), 73 yards (13 plays, TD), 5 yards (2 plays, TD), 52 yards (3 plays, TD). Montana on the other hand, scored TD's on drives of 75 yards (7 plays), 80 yards (6 plays), 52 yards (6 plays) and 77 yards (12 plays).

Two things jump out. Weber had a short field (in some cases, VERY short) most of the day, and they can score quick. A 20 yard run...2 28-yard TD passes. Only two sustained drives (not counting the field goal).

So, if the Griz can avoid short-field syndrome, and take care of the ball, keeping the quick strike offense off the field, I think we'll come out at the other end victorious.

Turnovers <= 1
Sacks <- 2
Griz TOP > 33 minutes
Chase Reynolds > 120 yards
Trevyn Smith < 120 yards

These are the necessary stats for a Griz victory.

placidlakegriz
December 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM

Work last weekend as we were down the whole first half.

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM

I was gonna post that, but I thought it was too obvious.

Then again, he IS a kittie fan. NOTHING is obvious to them... xlolx xlolx

NC Aggie
December 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Weber played a very focused game against Poly. I see them picking up another win against Montana.

I watched the WSU-Poly game. If WSU plays like they did against Poly, they will win pure and simple. Poly has more offense than Montana and WSU just scored more. Not to say MT doesn't have a good offense but Poly was no. 1 is IAA. I and would say that MT has a better defense than Poly. The "however" is the decided home field advantage, vagaries and turnovers. Looking forward to the game...should be interesting.

cats2506
December 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM

If you are down 10-0 in the second quarter, bobby ball wont win the game for you. You should know that WSU is far better than TxSt

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
If you are down 10-0 in the second quarter, bobby ball wont win the game for you. You should know that WSU is far better than TxSt

Christ, we were UP 21-10 in the second quarter against WS and still didn't win that game. We need to try something different... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

cats2506
December 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Christ, we were UP 21-10 in the second quarter against WS and still didn't win that game. We need to try something different... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Yeah, well ECG isnt real brightxeyebrowx

Ronbo
December 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm starting to re-think all the Griz fans, including myself, rooting for MSU in the playoffs in the past. It seems like other than a rare Cat fan they continue to put us down and root against us in the playoffs. I think I'll remind every Griz fan of this season when they do make the playoffs again.xrulesx

cats2506
December 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm starting to re-think all the Griz fans, including myself, rooting for MSU in the playoffs in the past. It seems like other than a rare Cat fan they continue to put us down and root against us in the playoffs. I think I'll remind every Griz fan of this season when they do make the playoffs again.xrulesx

I could care less if you ever root for us, I might consider pulling for you sometime if they get rid of that classless coach you have, but then again, I'm glad you have him there even with his record.

GolfingGriz
December 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM

Lets not hold our breath

DuckDuckGriz
December 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I could care less if you ever root for us, I might consider pulling for you sometime if they get rid of that classless coach you have, but then again, I'm glad you have him there even with his record.

I remember when Cat fans used to like him being there but now he is 4-2 against the MS. U so who knows now.

placidlakegriz
December 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM

Now thats funny.

T-Dawg95
December 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

If its any consolation Ronbo, you're got much of the Wofford nation behind you. That's gotta count for something. xthumbsupx

gbhmt
December 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM

I still have yet to see where all of these Cat fans got this "classless" stuff. What did he ever do to be classless? Win games?

grizbeer
December 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'm starting to re-think all the Griz fans, including myself, rooting for MSU in the playoffs in the past. It seems like other than a rare Cat fan they continue to put us down and root against us in the playoffs. I think I'll remind every Griz fan of this season when they do make the playoffs again.xrulesxRonbo just because little brother is a jealous brat who is constantly throwing a fit because he is trying to get attention and get out from under your shadow doesn't mean you shouldn't rub his head and tell him good boy when he does something right for a change, and continue to hope that he will grow up to be a productive member of society.

maybe one day Griz fans will no longer feel sorry enough for Cat fans to wish them well, but it should be because they have grown up and had success, not because they act like children.

xpeacex