PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win: Villanova at James Madison

UNHWildCats
November 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Discuss

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
ill flip a coin. when i first saw the brackets i thought JMU would be a solid favorite, but after watching the 2 teams play today I am not so sure. ill go with JMU because they are at home, but man its hard to beat a good team twice in the same year.

appstate38
November 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Tough to beat the same team twice in one year. I will go with Villanova

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I just hope it doesn't come down to the final play again..

matfu
November 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
was the first game between JM and Vill at Vill?

Grizaholic17
November 29th, 2008, 11:10 PM
James Madison won't let this be so close this time. Unfortunately I think JMU wins. Although I want Villanova to visit the west if all goes according to plan.

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
was the first game between JM and Vill at Vill?
Yepxnodx

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
one of the real questions about this game is if JMU is gonna be emotionally drained after a hard fought game last week not to mention physically tired and will Villanova be able to capitalize on the fact that their starters didn't play after the middle of the third quarter

jmuOX581
November 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
'Nova is a damn good team, but I'm anxious to see this rematch played in our house, without a monsoon going on during the game. Between this and ASU/Richmond, you've got probably two of the best games we're going to see in the tournament.

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM
'Nova is a damn good team, but I'm anxious to see this rematch played in our house, without a monsoon going on during the game. Between this and ASU/Richmond, you've got probably two of the best games we're going to see in the tournament.

That was no monsoon...just a little rain. Now when the Dukes were here in '04 THAT was a monsoon.:p

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 01:09 AM
That was no monsoon...just a little rain. Now when the Dukes were here in '04 THAT was a monsoon.:p

haha i still consider that the single worst experience i have ever had at a sporting event. The best part of the game was coach wiley screaming at everyone not to put on the jackets. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I think Villanova will win for some reason. They have the speed on defense to keep after Landers and enough balance on "O" to move the ball.

jus10asu
November 30th, 2008, 06:51 AM
JMU won on a miracle play last time and Vill is rollin right now....I think the Dukes are sitting at home for the semis. Im still just not convinced that JMU is the best team in the country...they've squeaked too many out this year.

appchuck
November 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I went with Villanova. But I think that JMU might have a better mental edge playing a tough game, compared to Villanova's cake walk. This one should be the best game(on paper that is).

paward
November 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
It will be the game of the week for sure. We played both JMU and Landers are very good. They beat us in the fourth quarter. Villanova beat us the entire game. Although I think JMU will pull it out I will have to say that Villanova is the better team over all. JMU does have a way of pulling it out. I would not touch any odds here. Game go down to the wire.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I will give JMU the advantage because of the Home Field. There isn't much between these teams.

chiapet9
November 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
James Madison won't let this be so close this time. Unfortunately I think JMU wins. Although I want Villanova to visit the west if all goes according to plan.

And I can't wait for the Griz to visit the east this year. I've been excited about playing the Griz again since we played in '04. Love the Griz fans and would hope they'd travel to the Shenandoah Valley.

chiapet9
November 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
one of the real questions about this game is if JMU is gonna be emotionally drained after a hard fought game last week not to mention physically tired and will Villanova be able to capitalize on the fact that their starters didn't play after the middle of the third quarter

We've been playing games like that all season. Yes, they'll be tired - but come Saturday - the adrenaline sets in. No doubt in my mind that our boys will be ready for Villanova Round #2.

19Duke97
November 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Their will be no surprises or special prep required to getr ready for VU unlike Wofford. Teams are evenly matched, but JMU is at home, advantage JMU.

chiapet9
November 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
JMU won on a miracle play last time and Vill is rollin right now....I think the Dukes are sitting at home for the semis. Im still just not convinced that JMU is the best team in the country...they've squeaked too many out this year.

And JMU isn't? We haven't lost since August.

You APP folks REALLY don't want to play us again do you?

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM
This will be a great game. I usually go with the team that lost earlier in the season in rematch games, so I will here as well.

JMU's offense looked almost unstoppable against Wofford. Was it JMU's offense or Wofford's defense? Probably both.

Villanova has a top 10 rush defense. Wofford's was in the mid 40's. If Villanova can stop JMU I think they'll win. JMU's defense hasn't looked that great.

Mntneer
November 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM

xrolleyesx You guys beat us this season straight up. You got very very lucky vs Villanova. They are gonna be gunning for you hard, and I personally think they'll pull it off. As far as playing us again...run the table and bring it. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Monarch History
November 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
The Dukes win a close one on a last minute FG 24-21.

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
wow I got a neg rep for making this thread..... how lame

Tubby Raymond
November 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Nova is not going to win this game, unless MM makes some goofy decisions ala Appy last year.

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'd rather be playing just about anyone else right now. Yes JMU won the last game on that hail Mary as time expired.You can call it luck but consider...

Nova O just needed to get a 1st down with under 2:00 minutes to play. They didn't.

They could have punted deep and given JMU alot more ground to cover on last drive. They didn't.

Nova D needed to shut them down just one last time,keep them out of range for that last play. They didn't.

Last play was luck,but Nova came up short leading up to it. Bottom line is that these teams are very even. I do think Nova can beat JMU,just not sure they will in Harrisonburg. We never seem to do well there.
I'm pulling for them to do it though.And I'll go on record as saying that I think the winner of this game is in Chatty.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM

As I recall, last month was 20 mph sustained winds, gusts to 30 mph, raining most of the game, at times hard. Well how about a driving rainstorm? xlolx

jlcharles
November 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM
It was drizzling.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Yeah, they're rolling. Thats why 2 weeks ago they rolled right by Towson AT HOME 34-31. And 21-7 over UD isn't that impressive. Yeah, they spanked Colgate bad, but Colgate sucked. If Colgate was in the CAA, they would have only won one or 2 CAA games.

And JMU is rolling. Since Nova:
Beat UD 41-7.
Beat W&M 48-24 (45-10 early in 4th)
Beat Towson 58-27 (51-13 at end of 3rd)
Nailbiter vs Wofford.

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
wow I got a neg rep for making this thread..... how lame

For shame!!!

Take a paint swatch off the avatar kid!:D

blur2005
November 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM
This is the CAA championship game. Sadly, it has to happen in the second round. I'm almost tempted to call it the national championship game because 'Nova is that good and JMU is the #1 seed. When I saw JMU would play the Wildcats in the second round I was not happy because except for a hail mary, Villanova would have beaten JMU in the regular season matchup. Moreover, the Wildcats have not gotten enough credit for their season, were never ranked high enough, and should have gotten the #4 seed except the CAA basically traded that seed for getting a fifth team in, Maine (that worked out well, didn't it?).

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM
This is the CAA championship game. Sadly, it has to happen in the second round. I'm almost tempted to call it the national championship game because 'Nova is that good and JMU is the #1 seed. When I saw JMU would play the Wildcats in the second round I was not happy because except for a hail mary, Villanova would have beaten JMU in the regular season matchup. Moreover, the Wildcats have not gotten enough credit for their season, were never ranked high enough, and should have gotten the #4 seed except the CAA basically traded that seed for getting a fifth team in, Maine (that worked out well, didn't it?).

I don't think Maine getting in had anything to do with Nova not getting a seed. Nova looked really good in some games (UR & JMU) but bad in others (Penn had to go to OT to beat and only beat Towson at home 34-31). That probably didn't help Nova's case. I think Nova should have gotten the #4 seed, but obviously the committee thought it should go to UNI.

The Wofford game should have been a #1 vs #8 quarterfinal (Wofford was #8-#9 in all the polls), and the Nova game should be a #1 vs #4 semifinal.

DRDukes
November 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think we win by a TD, but it is going to be another close game and is going to come down the the final 5 minutes. I would also expect a very loud and large crowd on Saturday, possibly bigger than the AppState game earlier this year. It is going to be at least a 3pm or 4pm kickoff due to our televised MBB game at 11 in Convo, so the crowd will get at least 8 hours of tailgating in before kickoff, and it will be a ready to be loud as well. I think Nova is a top 3 team and it is a shame this game is being played this early in the playoffs. I also, agree with whoever said it earlier, the winner of this game is going to Chatty.

JMU DUUUKES
November 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I don't blame you guys, but its funny that JMU has been picked to loose nearly every tough game this season. Every time people say they ahve their reasons, then we win.

blur2005
November 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't blame you guys, but its funny that JMU has been picked to loose nearly every tough game this season. Every time people say they ahve their reasons, then we win.
Just keep doubting the Dukes, right? It's worked well so far this season.

wideright82
November 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Just keep doubting the Dukes, right? It's worked well so far this season.

I am not so sure is doubt, i think it is more of a something's gotta give feeling. They are a great team, but at some point that last play has to get batted down, doesn't it? We match up well against JMU, but they have found a way to win week in and week out. When you have that taste in your mouth, it is tough to get it out. My heart says Villanova, my head says Villanova, but my Ouigi board say JMU, and the Ouigi has been on their side all year.

JMU_Fan_2007
November 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'll take JMU by 9. Although it was a tough game last time, JMU managed to hold villanova to 19 points, even with a freshmen making his first start at linebacker. Plus, Villanova's offense depend a lot on suprising JMU last game - JMU was not prepared for the wildcat style offense. This time around JMU's linebackers will play better and I expect they will be better prepared for what they face.

That said, I think the score stays fairly low... JMU 23, Nova 14

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I am not so sure is doubt, i think it is more of a something's gotta give feeling. They are a great team, but at some point that last play has to get batted down, doesn't it? We match up well against JMU, but they have found a way to win week in and week out. When you have that taste in your mouth, it is tough to get it out. My heart says Villanova, my head says Villanova, but my Ouigi board say JMU, and the Ouigi has been on their side all year.

Well said. I know in my case it's less about doubting the Dukes,and more about the faith I have in Nova.

dgreco
November 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Villanova with the hailmary win this time!

jlcharles
November 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I don't think Maine getting in had anything to do with Nova not getting a seed. Nova looked really good in some games (UR & JMU) but bad in others (Penn had to go to OT to beat and only beat Towson at home 34-31). That probably didn't help Nova's case. I think Nova should have gotten the #4 seed, but obviously the committee thought it should go to UNI.

The Wofford game should have been a #1 vs #8 quarterfinal (Wofford was #8-#9 in all the polls), and the Nova game should be a #1 vs #4 semifinal.

Can we stop with quoting the Penn game? Antwon threw 3 INTs in the endzone. 3!! None of them were good plays by the DB, all were underthrown balls. He is not the starter anymore and the coordinator figured out our strength was the run.

Delaware, we had the ball for 40 minutes and rushed for over 300 yards. It was complete and utter domination. The Towson game I will give you and the way they came out with 2 penalties before running their first play tells me that they were looking past the game to their rivalry with Delaware.

spdram
November 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
This is a tough one to call, but I'm going with the home team in this one. But never count Andy Talley out of the game until the final tick goes off of the clock.

Mntneer
November 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM

I gotta agree here. JMU is the real deal for sure, but personally I think they started this run just little too early and consequently they're going to falter before the finish line. But as another poster noted, people keep doubting and they keep winning, so it should be interesting to watch.

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Nova karma and the revenge factor= Nova, 28-24.

DTSpider
November 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
JMU pretty much doesn't lose at home (except to Richmond). I think that JMU will win this game. Villanova has always been much better at home, so although it's tough to be the same team twice, I just think that JMU has the "it factor" this year and I expect to see them in Chattanooga (hopefully against my spiders :))

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I gotta agree here. JMU is the real deal for sure, but personally I think they started this run just little too early and consequently they're going to falter before the finish line. But as another poster noted, people keep doubting and they keep winning, so it should be interesting to watch.

This RUN you are speaking of.......did this start in our second game of the season? Please clarify.

Go Dukes

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
one of the real questions about this game is if JMU is gonna be emotionally drained after a hard fought game last week not to mention physically tired and will Villanova be able to capitalize on the fact that their starters didn't play after the middle of the third quarter Are you kidding me, JMU has been playing nail bitters all year.... I'd be more worried about Villanova not playing a tough team before going in Harrisoburg.... I'd take battle tested any day...

placidlakegriz
November 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Go Nova and Go Griz.

Will set up a GRIZ - NOVA match up in Missoula

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
It's funny, noone has mentioned field position.... which is one of the key factors between two evenly matched teams and JMU has had it all year. So the question is, will coach Talley kick the ball to McGee... Wofford tried it once, he almost broke it and that was the last time it went his way.... So what is Villanova going to do on Punts/Kick-offs. Remember, it was part of their punting fear that gave JMU that good field position to set up that final drive. You have to take this into play, McGee is a master at getting the crowd into the game...and then the "Scared of Scotty" chants really doesn't do much for the opposing teams ego.....because the fact of the matter is, they are!! Villanova can not afford to give JMU the football at midfield every change of possession.....

Turfwar
November 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
JMU wins by 13.

Villanova is a great team, but the homefield advantage is the breaker.

Oh and Rodney Landers, he is an advantage point also. Weather should be great, and the fans rowdy. Hope all the NOVA fans have a safe and good trip down, should be in store for a great CAA battle.

JMU Newbill
November 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Hard to be emotionally drained when they are playing in Harrisonburg. If we as fans can't hype them up, then something is wrong.

jlcharles
November 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
It's funny, noone has mentioned field position.... which is one of the key factors between two evenly matched teams and JMU has had it all year. So the question is, will coach Talley kick the ball to McGee... Wofford tried it once, he almost broke it and that was the last time it went his way.... So what is Villanova going to do on Punts/Kick-offs. Remember, it was part of their punting fear that gave JMU that good field position to set up that final drive. You have to take this into play, McGee is a master at getting the crowd into the game...and then the "Scared of Scotty" chants really doesn't do much for the opposing teams ego.....because the fact of the matter is, they are!! Villanova can not afford to give JMU the football at midfield every change of possession.....

Keep in mind, our punter was out. Our kicker was handling punting duties and not well. Combine that with not wanting to kick to him and you get what happened in the last game. The punter is back, so it won't be as much of a problem.

madisonfan87
November 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Dukes at Bridgeforth this season (7-0), need I say more?

Philliesfan980
November 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Keep in mind, our punter was out. Our kicker was handling punting duties and not well. Combine that with not wanting to kick to him and you get what happened in the last game. The punter is back, so it won't be as much of a problem.

Actually, I think Marcoux (sp) was doing the punting as well on Saturday. Does he normally do double duty?

seahawkfan2007
November 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
A classic in the making. I like Villanova in a squeeker. 34-31 sounds about right. Either way, the winner of this one will be my pick to win it all.

JMUNJ08
November 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
This should be a great game. Wofford was a nail biter but they never had the ball with a chance to take the lead as JMU scored the possession after they tied it. Wofford kept getting to the top of the mountain but never pushed us off. Villanova doesn't travel well to the 'burg just like JMU doesn't travel well to PA. JMU should have the confidence and home field advantage to pull it out!!!

appmountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I went with Nova, but honestly its a toss up. Hopefully, it'll be on tv. otherwise i will watch the game on the web again.

jmufan999
November 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
to fans HOPING JMU will lose, and are therefore voting against them: you got jmu to be an "underdog", at least on AGS so far.

unfortunately, you hoping this won't make a lick of difference. most weeks, if it's close, we don't get the nod, at least on sites like this. our players could care less.

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I went with the home team. But Villanova is dangerous.

BearGibson
November 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM
JMU loses on last second Hail-Mary that falls incomplete.

Payback's a bitch.

Good luck to both teams though...

thmst30
November 30th, 2008, 10:41 PM
to fans HOPING JMU will lose, and are therefore voting against them: you got jmu to be an "underdog", at least on AGS so far.

unfortunately, you hoping this won't make a lick of difference. most weeks, if it's close, we don't get the nod, at least on sites like this. our players could care less.

WHAT?!?!? My vote against JMU doesn't guarantee them a loss? ****, I guess I've wasted my time here.

jlcharles
November 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Actually, I think Marcoux (sp) was doing the punting as well on Saturday. Does he normally do double duty?

Marcoux had one punt and Ugarte had 2. While I haven't seen anything about it lately, Ugarte had a knee injury that was slowing his release and eventually shelved him for the JMU game. I don't know if this is Talley preparing both of them like he's been doing with Antwon coming in for a series or two to keep him sharp. Or Ugarte's knee could still be bothering him. But I'm pretty sure Marcoux won't be called on in the same situation as homecoming.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM

xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
Dukes at Bridgeforth this season (7-0), need I say more?

Since 03' JMU now:
32-4 at home (one loss in 03' to NE, one in 04' 27-24 to W&M who JMU beat in semifinal rematch, one in 05' 18-15 to quarterfinal UR team, one in 07' 17-16 to semi final UR team.
21-16 away

JMU is a different team at home.

Another thing. In JMU's 6 big (I-AA) games this year, in 5 of them TSN along with a majority of non JMU posters making picks on the weekely CAA predictions picked JMU to:
lose to UMass. JMU won
lose to ASU. JMU won
lose to Nova game #1. JMU won
lose to Wofford. JMU won

Now its a majority picking JMU lose to Nova #2. (still awaiting the TSN picks, but as usual, they'll (Coulson, although he claims its an intern) will pick JMU to lose. God forbid if they pick JMU to win.

The only game TSN and a majority of non JMU on AGS picked right was the UR game.

People, do you see a trend here?

blitz4
December 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM
JMU by 10!! Those guys are legit.

GO JMU!!!

JMU Newbill
December 1st, 2008, 05:21 AM
I just can't see JMU losing to Villanova this weekend. The home field advantage point has been stressed over and over.... but it's true. Anyone who has any idea what it's going to be like at Bridgeforth this weekend would be hard pressed to vote against JMU.

th0m
December 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
Yup, people are expecting a crowd bigger than the crowd for the App State game. From the looks of the fourth quarter, the Wofford QB needed to get under center a couple of times due to the crowd noise, and it wasn't even a full house.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
I think I voted for JMU but when I look at it they really just used their size and power to push around Wofford's DL and rack up rushing yards. If Villanova can stop the run and score at least 28 points I think they will win.

Longhorn
December 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM
I think I voted for JMU but when I look at it they really just used their size and power to push around Wofford's DL and rack up rushing yards.

Yeah...that's so unfair. xdohx

appirishmen
December 1st, 2008, 06:47 AM
i think this will be another close game. it will come down to who has the ball last.it should be a good game, cant wait to watch.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 1st, 2008, 07:14 AM
i think this will be another close game. it will come down to who has the ball last.it should be a good game, cant wait to watch.

Big difference between the Villanova and Wofford game was against Wofford we scored the go ahead touchdown right before half time. Against Villanova we went for it and didn't get it. BIG difference in the outcome of the game right there.

Hoyadestroya85
December 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm skipping community service to go to this game, that's how big of a deal it is to me

UD97HENS
December 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Rollin with NOVA....they have looked pretty dag on good all year....The dukes are tough at home....but you can only cage a WILDCAT for so long.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM

xoutofrepx xgiveadamnx

Dukie95
December 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM
The results of this poll are quite ironic when the same AGS poll voters on this site has 1. had JMU as the #1 team for weeks and 2. underrated Villanova all season.

I do realize that the AGS poll voters are a closed subset of the people voting here, but it's still a bit odd.

Daved
December 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Totally agree-It wasn't very nice of them to do that-I will have to root for 'Nova against them Dirty Dogs!

chiapet9
December 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
They are a great team, but at some point that last play has to get batted down, doesn't it?

I don't know....does it? Is that in the rulebook somewhere?

DB_Atlantic10
December 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Keep in mind, our punter was out. Our kicker was handling punting duties and not well. Combine that with not wanting to kick to him and you get what happened in the last game. The punter is back, so it won't be as much of a problem. So now that your punter is back, you are saying that coach Talley is planning to kick it to McGee....or will Nova have a better soccer/shank kick...it still amounts to field position...and please please don't kick it to McGee at Bridgeforth.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Totally agree-It wasn't very nice of them to do that-I will have to root for 'Nova against them Dirty Dogs!

Once againxgiveadamnx

Never said it was dirty but it was an advantage--and by the way I find it funny that the same three people are ganging up on me and still haven't made a decent point (or have convinced anyone else that they can make a point), that and I have more posts than they do combined and they've been members for 2 years while I've only been loosely 6 months. Newbs:p

JMU DUUUKES
December 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Once againxgiveadamnx

Never said it was dirty but it was an advantage--and by the way I find it funny that the same three people are ganging up on me and still haven't made a decent point (or have convinced anyone else that they can make a point), that and I have more posts than they do combined and they've been members for 2 years while I've only been loosely 6 months. Newbs:p

Wow you just compared post amounts .... i've never seen that done, for fear of huge mockery. But since you seem so interested, JMU people don't post on AGS because its rarely relevant and proving good information, we're all on the CAAZone, and Longhorn probably has more posts on their last week than you've had on here total, haha.

wideright82
December 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM
I don't know....does it? Is that in the rulebook somewhere?

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx haha no it is not, chiapet, but that was the point of the RHETORICAL question. Thanks for answering it. xoopsx

wideright82
December 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM
Wow you just compared post amounts .... i've never seen that done, for fear of huge mockery. But since you seem so interested, JMU people don't post on AGS because its rarely relevant and proving good information, we're all on the CAAZone, and Longhorn probably has more posts on their last week than you've had on here total, haha.

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx (just a HUGE fan of using this sarcastically tonight). However, i do agree, POST NUMBERS xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx, hell deathdealer has god knows how many from demotivational posters alone (and i LOVE them, keep em going, not a shot at you), but i guess instead of using real logic and arguments we have resorted to post numbers and "oh yeah, well my dad is cooler than your dad" as a response.

jlcharles
December 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM
So now that your punter is back, you are saying that coach Talley is planning to kick it to McGee....or will Nova have a better soccer/shank kick...it still amounts to field position...and please please don't kick it to McGee at Bridgeforth.

If you can net 40 yards on a punt out of bounds, I consider that good. I don't see Ugarte putting one punt in the hands of McGee and his average will be more than Marcoux's combined yards. I don't see the problem with that.

KiddBrewer
December 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM

I want nothing more!xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

LacesOut
December 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
JMU

DaDukes40
December 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I know there isn't a whole lot of love for Coach Matthews outside of Harrisonburg, but the man is very good at game planning (although not so good at in-game coaching). He is especially good when he sees a team a second time (for example: 2004 against W&M). He will have his team ready to play against Villanova.

JMU wins a close one 28-24

OLDMAIN80
December 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
JMU - home field advantage saves the dayxcoolx

South Carolina Duke
December 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

I want nothing more!xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Interesting, because all I have read this year from Appy fans is that the loss to JMU in September did not mean much. Why so eager to want us again? I would like to see again myself.

Good luck and hope to see you in Chattannoga.

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM

xeekx xeekx

Are you agreeing with Mickey Matthews?? :D

Seriously, home field is a big deal for us this year. We have played horrible on the road, which might not bode well for us IF we make it to Chatty...

South Carolina Duke
December 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
xeekx xeekx

Are you agreeing with Mickey Matthews?? :D

Seriously, home field is a big deal for us this year. We have played horrible on the road, which might not bode well for us IF we make it to Chatty...

JMU is just terrible on the road, ask Richmond, Nova, Maine, Not to mention all of the LUCK.

GO Dukes, One game at a time!

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
JMU is just terrible on the road, ask Richmond, Nova, Maine, Not to mention all of the LUCK.

GO Dukes, One game at a time!

I we had played on the road like we do at home, we wouldn't need the luck (not that I subscribe to the "luck" theory). That was my point.

T-Dawg95
December 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM

What home field advantage?

I think its hard to beat a good team twice in one season, especially after the showing against Wofford. I'll say Nova wins by single digits.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
JMU wins this CAA battle royal xnodx

Duke Dawg
December 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think its hard to beat a good team twice in one season, especially after the showing against Wofford. I'll say Nova wins by single digits.

This sure sounds like your implying we didn't play that well last week......yet, we still won.

what does that say about your own team?

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
What home field advantage?

This sure sounds like your implying we didn't play that well last week......yet, we still won.

I don't know that he was saying that or just saying it was a hard fought win. I tend to think that the close game helps us and any body dinks can be healed through lighter prep for a team that we've already faced.

Banks!!!
December 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm praying JMU and ASU both make it to Chatt. That rematch will be the Xmas present I've been asking for all season long. :)

Duke Dawg
December 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yea, it was a hard fought win because Wofford is a good team.

Villanova did not play such a foe in round one.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'm praying JMU and ASU both make it to Chatt. That rematch will be the Xmas present I've been asking for all season long. :)

Mine would be us meeting again and us winning :) Don't sell yourself short to Santa.

Banks!!!
December 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Mine would be us meeting again and us winning :) Don't sell yourself short to Santa.

I won't burden Santa with fixing the outcome, he's got enough on his plate. Just deliver the match-up big man, so we can let that pent-up aggression loose. ;)

19Duke97
December 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know that he was saying that or just saying it was a hard fought win. I tend to think that the close game helps us and any body dinks can be healed through lighter prep for a team that we've already faced.

Yeah it did not stop App last year when they beat us by 1 and EW by 3 from winning the national championship. this whole, "out of gas" thing is way overrated. If a team cannot get fired up for a playoff game, they have other issues.... JMU will be fine, it will be a tough game, but we do have a home field advantage, and should win this game.

South Carolina Duke
December 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I we had played on the road like we do at home, we wouldn't need the luck (not that I subscribe to the "luck" theory). That was my point.

The whole comment conerning "luck" was me be facetious. Apologies if it did not take.

Go Dukes..One game at a time.

T-Dawg95
December 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM

Not that you didn't play well. JMU played desperate and, once again, their luck appeared.

I'm sure you're asking "How is that?"

- Fake spike at the end of the half for a TD with a corner in perfect position. Corner catches the ball and WR takes ball out of his hands for a TD

- The long TD Landers threw to #5. Ball was A) poorly thrown and poorly placed B) Wofford safety got turned around and fell down twice and still was in position to make a play when the ball came down.

- Landers running through four defenders to get into the end zone on 3rd goal from the 6. Any one of them stops him and its likely a field goal try. (Mickey had already shown earlier in the game he wasn't willing to go for it on 4th in the red zone.)

- The poor spot by the officials on 4th down.

If Wofford makes any one of those four plays, the game ends in their favor. Now JMU gets an angry Nova team who rolled easily last week. Battle tested JMU may be, but luck only lasts so long. Nova showed they can shut down JMU, and Wofford exploited some weaknesses JMU has. If Nova can exploit those same weaknesses and make 1 important play, then I would expect JMU to be going home this week.

Longhorn
December 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Not that you didn't play well. JMU played desperate and, once again, their luck appeared.

- Fake spike at the end of the half for a TD with a corner in perfect position. Corner catches the ball and WR takes ball out of his hands for a TD

- The long TD Landers threw to #5. Ball was A) poorly thrown and poorly placed B) Wofford safety got turned around and fell down twice and still was in position to make a play when the ball came down.

- Landers running through four defenders to get into the end zone on 3rd goal from the 6. Any one of them stops him and its likely a field goal try. (Mickey had already shown earlier in the game he wasn't willing to go for it on 4th in the red zone.)

If Wofford makes any one of those three plays, the game ends in their favor. Now JMU gets an angry Nova team who rolled easily last week. Battle tested JMU may be, but luck only lasts so long. Nova showed they can shut down JMU, and Wofford exploited some weaknesses JMU has. If Nova can exploit those same weaknesses and make 1 important play, then I would expect JMU to be going home this week.

xcoffeex Nonsense.

T-Dawg95
December 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
xcoffeex Nonsense.

Well...that's one way to put it.

JmuSkinsfan
December 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM

If Wofford makes any one of those three plays, the game ends in their favor. Now JMU gets an angry Nova team who rolled easily last week. Battle tested JMU may be, but luck only lasts so long. Nova showed they can shut down JMU, and Wofford exploited some weaknesses JMU has. If Nova can exploit those same weaknesses and make 1 important play, then I would expect JMU to be going home this week.

You have got to be kidding me. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

TheValleyRaider
December 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
James Madison
Much respect to Villanova, who played a great game on Saturday and is one heck of a team. The Dukes gets the nod here for me first because I still think they're the best team in the country and because they get this one at home. Yes, Nova nearly got them already, but in Nova. This time, JMU wins with a little more space (as in, they don't need the hail mary for the win)

South Carolina Duke
December 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM

If Wofford makes any one of those four plays, the game ends in their favor. Now JMU gets an angry Nova team who rolled easily last week. Battle tested JMU may be, but luck only lasts so long. Nova showed they can shut down JMU, and Wofford exploited some weaknesses JMU has. If Nova can exploit those same weaknesses and make 1 important play, then I would expect JMU to be going home this week.

Crazy Talk! With a hint of sour grapes. You bit on a play, fake spike, that only works in backyard pick up games. I pity you.

chiapet9
December 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx haha no it is not, chiapet, but that was the point of the RHETORICAL question. Thanks for answering it. xoopsx

I know I know - but in all seriousness...I was more worried about the Villanova game this year than any other game because it was the same game in 2006 that cost us a seed, home field advantage, etc in the playoffs and sent us packing to Youngstown, Ohio for the first round.

I can still see it - I was watching the ticker at the bottom of ESPN and I saw the score 21-20 Nova and screamed... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

This season is like Redemption/Revenge x 10. Redemption for last years playoff exit against App. State and the year before against YSU. Revenge against App for beating us in Boone the year before. Revenge against Nova for beating us and costing us home field advantage. Revenge against Richmond for beating us at Homecoming (I think) last year. Revenge against the selection committee for giving us the toughest road to the playoffs (or at least it seems).

I can't wait to celebrate in Chattanooga this year when we win it all.

I just hope the turf is better this time around.

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Crazy Talk! With a hint of sour grapes. You bit on a play, fake spike, that only works in backyard pick up games. I pity you.

You spike the ball in backyard pick up games??? xconfusedx

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM

If, If, If, IF, IF, IF, IF.blah blah blah.

I could say the same thing about any of Wofford's 5 TD runs. If this JMU player didn't miss a tackle, if that defensive JMU player didn't miss a read..

The one didn't didn't fall down twice. The one corner didn't catch the ball and then have it taken away from him. He flat out got beat on a jump ball. Those catches were by 6'3" receivers over much shorter DBs. One of those receivers (#8 Rockheed McCarter) would likely be playing in the Big 10 or Big East right now as he was recruited by schools from both, but came to JMU to be with his older brother who was a starting CB on JMU's NC team and is now a JMU campus cop. Those catches weren't luck. They were catches by receivers with superior physical tools compared to the Wofford DBs. I saw ASU receivers do the same thing to Wofford on national TV.

As far as Landers running over 2 guys (it wasn't 4) on that TD run, he's been making great plays like that all season. Thats not "luck"

As Mickey says, he recruits his luck. As far as Nova being angry, that whole revenge thing, as Mickey has said in the past, lasts about 5 plays. JMU wanted revenge real bad against ASU in Sept. All that got them was down 21-0 at the half. How the last JMU/Nova game ended will have no bearing on the one played on Sat.

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
I know I know - but in all seriousness...I was more worried about the Villanova game this year than any other game because it was the same game in 2006 that cost us a seed, home field advantage, etc in the playoffs and sent us packing to Youngstown, Ohio for the first round.

I can still see it - I was watching the ticker at the bottom of ESPN and I saw the score 21-20 Nova and screamed... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

This season is like Redemption/Revenge x 10. Redemption for last years playoff exit against App. State and the year before against YSU. Revenge against App for beating us in Boone the year before. Revenge against Nova for beating us and costing us home field advantage. Revenge against Richmond for beating us at Homecoming (I think) last year. Revenge against the selection committee for giving us the toughest road to the playoffs (or at least it seems).

The revenge thing is way overrated. As Mickey said when asked during his press conference yesterday, revenge lasts all of about 5 plays.

I think the revenge thing is mostly just for us fans.

wideright82
December 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM

haha i hear that revenge thing, it is a dish best served cold... and now i am hoping its cold as hell down at JMU, so yall can feel that gut wrenching feeling when revenge comes right back around and kicks you in the balls. xlolxxlolx In all seriousness though, I have to try to get down to this game, but my ahole friends decided it would be a great idea to work on a christmas tree farm this year, so i am stranded.

edit: chia i hope you knocked on some serious wood after jinxing the hell outta your team... hahaha

chiapet9
December 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
haha i hear that revenge thing, it is a dish best served cold... and now i am hoping its cold as hell down at JMU, so yall can feel that gut wrenching feeling when revenge comes right back around and kicks you in the balls. xlolxxlolx In all seriousness though, I have to try to get down to this game, but my ahole friends decided it would be a great idea to work on a christmas tree farm this year, so i am stranded.

I hear that. I offered a ticket to an old roommate - and was turned down because of a prior engagement - to go look for a Christmas Tree.

I was like - seriously?? You're letting a christmas tree get in the way of watching this game? Its not like all the trees will be gone!! AH!

T-Dawg95
December 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
If, If, If, IF, IF, IF, IF.blah blah blah.

I could say the same thing about any of Wofford's 5 TD runs. If this JMU player didn't miss a tackle, if that defensive JMU player didn't miss a read..

The one didn't didn't fall down twice. The one corner didn't catch the ball and then have it taken away from him. He flat out got beat on a jump ball. Those catches were by 6'3" receivers over much shorter DBs. One of those receivers (#8 Rockheed McCarter) would likely be playing in the Big 10 or Big East right now as he was recruited by schools from both, but came to JMU to be with his older brother who was a starting CB on JMU's NC team and is now a JMU campus cop. Those catches weren't luck. They were catches by receivers with superior physical tools compared to the Wofford DBs. I saw ASU receivers do the same thing to Wofford on national TV.

As far as Landers running over 2 guys (it wasn't 4) on that TD run, he's been making great plays like that all season. Thats not "luck"

As Mickey says, he recruits his luck. As far as Nova being angry, that whole revenge thing, as Mickey has said in the past, lasts about 5 plays. JMU wanted revenge real bad against ASU in Sept. All that got them was down 21-0 at the half. How the last JMU/Nova game ended will have no bearing on the one played on Sat.

I did not cite all four plays as signs of 'luck'. The only 'lucky' plays of those were the poor spot by the officials, and that happens. The way to make sure that's not the case is to get beyond the marker for sure.

The other was the poor throw by Landers. THAT probably should've been picked off rather then end up as a TD. Show anybody who coaches the first half of that play and 9/10 times they'll tell you it gets picked or goes out of bounds. If the safety doesn't fall down, again, it likely is picked off and going a ways back.

The other two were cited more of desperation then actual luck. The play call, a fake spike thrown for a TD was as you said, a great play by the receiver. However, that doesn't change the fact that the corner was in position or the fact that it needed to be called...which reeks of desperation.

And Landers' run through the defense at the end was just impressive. He took the team's fate into his own hands, and must be commended on that play.

CFallsGriz
December 2nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
It will be the game of the week for sure. We played both JMU and Landers are very good. They beat us in the fourth quarter. Villanova beat us the entire game. Although I think JMU will pull it out I will have to say that Villanova is the better team over all. JMU does have a way of pulling it out. I would not touch any odds here. Game go down to the wire.

I think the other rematch will be just as good or better, re- UM v WSU

wideright82
December 2nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
I hear that. I offered a ticket to an old roommate - and was turned down because of a prior engagement - to go look for a Christmas Tree.

I was like - seriously?? You're letting a christmas tree get in the way of watching this game? Its not like all the trees will be gone!! AH!

what you hadnt heard? Christmas trees are GONE after this weekend.... xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

JmuSkinsfan
December 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
The other two were cited more of desperation then actual luck. The play call, a fake spike thrown for a TD was as you said, a great play by the receiver. However, that doesn't change the fact that the corner was in position or the fact that it needed to be called...which reeks of desperation.

How was that out of desperation? We had just driven the field very quickly, already ahead 21-14. We had 2 (I believe) time outs left and 20 seconds on the clock. It was a genius call, and it caught your team off guard. It was strategic, not desperate. I have no idea where you are getting desperation from on this one? Down 21, maybe. But for the aforementioned reasons, no way.

T-Dawg95
December 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
How was that out of desperation? We had just driven the field very quickly, already ahead 21-14. We had 2 (I believe) time outs left and 20 seconds on the clock. It was a genius call, and it caught your team off guard. It was strategic, not desperate. I have no idea where you are getting desperation from on this one? Down 21, maybe. But for the aforementioned reasons, no way.

If a coach is not worried about his team's scoring abilities, he calls a timeout and gets his team set-up and ready to score on the next series of downs. Calling a fake spike says you don't think you can score on the defense you're facing with the time you have left, and you need to try to fake them out. Again, the corner never 'bit', because there was no fake and he was in perfect position. The WR simply took the ball out of his hands.

All that was said by that play call was: "My play-calling won't beat you, so I'll use my trickery instead."

At least that's my take on it. I'm sure you'll have some other explanation, but at this point its simply beating a dead horse. All it tells me is that Mickey was afraid of eating his words about the SoCon.

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Luck, bad coaching, weak conference, acts of a higher being, solar eclipses, bad refereeing, four leaf clovers, black cats, broken mirrors...... ok.... we have heard all of the excuses, numerous times...... just give it a freakin rest. JMU has won some close games, deal with it.

Can anyone be excited about the 4 awesome games that are going on this weekend? I know I can't wait to start my Saturday at 8 AM with a nice frosty cold one at JMU.

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM

It was a first down play and JMU still had 2 timeouts, so there was no desparation to it at all...just a trick play. And, at that point, Wofford had no answer to JMU's offense since the first drive. (Wofford's only stop would come later in the second half with the INT - and FG if you consider that a stop)

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
If a coach is not worried about his team's scoring abilities, he calls a timeout and gets his team set-up and ready to score on the next series of downs. Calling a fake spike says you don't think you can score on the defense you're facing with the time you have left, and you need to try to fake them out. Again, the corner never 'bit', because there was no fake and he was in perfect position. The WR simply took the ball out of his hands.

All that was said by that play call was: "My play-calling won't beat you, so I'll use my trickery instead."

At least that's my take on it. I'm sure you'll have some other explanation, but at this point its simply beating a dead horse. All it tells me is that Mickey was afraid of eating his words about the SoCon.

Sorry nice try. Unfortunately if you knew ANYTHING about our team (which you apparently don't) you would know that running trick plays inside of the red zone has become a staple for us over the past couple years, especially on first down plays. As for the ""My play-calling won't beat you, so I'll use my trickery instead" are you KIDDING ME? Your defense stopped us ONCE the entire game and we had to punt. Honestly Wofford as some respectable fans and I won't let one sour apple ruin my opinion of that but come on man your post reeks of sour grapes.xnonono2x

Duke Dawg
December 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

Good lord...did he really just post that?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

T-Dawg95
December 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Sorry nice try. Unfortunately if you knew ANYTHING about our team (which you apparently don't) you would know that running trick plays inside of the red zone has become a staple for us over the past couple years, especially on first down plays. As for the ""My play-calling won't beat you, so I'll use my trickery instead" are you KIDDING ME? Your defense stopped us ONCE the entire game and we had to punt. Honestly Wofford as some respectable fans and I won't let one sour apple ruin my opinion of that but come on man your post reeks of sour grapes.xnonono2x

Wow, talk about going overboard.

Yes, folks, JUM won! And I'll congratulate the team because, in the end, they made the plays they needed to in order to win. If y'all are so desperate to hear it then here it is: your team bested my team. If lacking respect is calling it as I see it, then I guess most people on this board, are not respectful...

wideright82
December 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Luck, bad coaching, weak conference, acts of a higher being, solar eclipses, bad refereeing, four leaf clovers, black cats, broken mirrors...... ok.... we have heard all of the excuses, numerous times...... just give it a freakin rest. JMU has won some close games, deal with it.

Can anyone be excited about the 4 awesome games that are going on this weekend? I know I can't wait to start my Saturday at 8 AM with a nice frosty cold one at JMU.

hahahaha

4th and What?
December 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
58% to 42% for Villanova right now? I understand most people WANT Villanova to win, and they are certainly capable of winning, but I really think JMU should be a pretty solid favorite here. Though it is probably homerism on my part, the JMU linebackers, which Villanova picked apart last time, have gained a lot of experience and have been looking a lot better than the Villanova game. While Villanova has looked somewhat mild since the JMU game. I didn't see any Nova games live since then (just gamecast/game summaries/etc) but after the JMU game, which they looked great in, they have had some pretty rough games against average competition. They looked great against Colgate all around, and their line dominated UNH, but they damn near lost to Towson, and barely showed up against UD or Northeastern.

If the Villanova team shows up that did early/mid season, and then seemed to show back up against Colgate last week, we could have a great game. But coming into Harrisonburg, unless Villanova is in their top form, this really might not be the game people are expecting to see. Am I way off in this?

jmufan999
December 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM

Yes, folks, JUM won! And I'll congratulate the team because, in the end, they made the plays they needed to in order to win. If y'all are so desperate to hear it then here it is: your team bested my team. If lacking respect is calling it as I see it, then I guess most people on this board, are not respectful...

just because you "call it as you see it", doesn't make it right.

saying the fake spike play was lucky was absolutely ridiculous. the other poster is right, MM uses trick plays ALL the time, especially in the red zone. we did at App State last year in the playoffs, faked a FG and it ended up in a TD. it has nothing to do with lack of confidence but rather in catching the other team off guard. we don't expect anyone on here to ever give Mickey credit for anything, i'm sure he is very concerned about this.

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
58% to 42% for Villanova right now? I understand most people WANT Villanova to win, and they are certainly capable of winning, but I really think JMU should be a pretty solid favorite here. Though it is probably homerism on my part, the JMU linebackers, which Villanova picked apart last time, have gained a lot of experience and have been looking a lot better than the Villanova game. While Villanova has looked somewhat mild since the JMU game. I didn't see any Nova games live since then (just gamecast/game summaries/etc) but after the JMU game, which they looked great in, they have had some pretty rough games against average competition. They looked great against Colgate all around, and their line dominated UNH, but they damn near lost to Towson, and barely showed up against UD or Northeastern.

If the Villanova team shows up that did early/mid season, and then seemed to show back up against Colgate last week, we could have a great game. But coming into Harrisonburg, unless Villanova is in their top form, this really might not be the game people are expecting to see. Am I way off in this?

As much as I hope you are right.... I doubt very seriously we will see the Villanova team that played against Towson, UD, or Northeastern. We will get everything Villanova has to offer, but I am confident that JMU can handle it.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM

Going overboard would be your previous post. I could honestly care less about getting respect from you. I don't need to hear we won because I was at the game and saw the scoreboard (all the justification I need). My point was a "trick play" is not a DESPERATION play nor is it a sign that the offense is not moving the ball. I love how you ignore my previous post stating this and try to change the subject. A trick play is exactly how it sounds. Its meant to be quick easy yardage (or score) by catching the other team with their pants down. Based on the situation it was a perfect call by Durden, however, Wofford was not fooled and luckily our receiver made a spectacular play on the ball. Again this was on 1st down and at that point Wofford D had yet to stop our Offense (minus the opening drive). So stating that it was a play of desperation is an absolute ludicrous claim and a low blow. Just so were clear.

jlcharles
December 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM

Towson, we started off the game with 2 penalties before running our first offensive play. That tells me their heads were not in it for some reason. Looking ahead to UD, which they dominated, even though they only scored 21 points, they put up 317 yards on the ground and had the ball for nearly 40 minutes. Keep on underestimating them.

There is absolutely no reason for this game to have JMU more than a 3 pt favorite. The teams are even. The last game came down to the last play. I hope it doesn't come down to the last play again, but I can assure you, the DB will not bite on 4th and goal from the 25 again.

T-Dawg95
December 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Going overboard would be your previous post. I could honestly care less about getting respect from you. I don't need to hear we won because I was at the game and saw the scoreboard (all the justification I need). My point was a "trick play" is not a DESPERATION play nor is it a sign that the offense is not moving the ball. I love how you ignore my previous post stating this and try to change the subject. A trick play is exactly how it sounds. Its meant to be quick easy yardage (or score) by catching the other team with their pants down. Based on the situation it was a perfect call by Durden, however, Wofford was not fooled and luckily our receiver made a spectacular play on the ball. Again this was on 1st down and at that point Wofford D had yet to stop our Offense (minus the opening drive). So stating that it was a play of desperation is an absolute ludicrous claim and a low blow. Just so were clear.

I like your post, but I think where we differ is our thoughts on the word 'desperate'. I'm not saying JMU was trying to score any way possible, when I used that word. I think the coaching staff was losing the confidence of the kids on the sideline (maybe they thought they should be up by more, I don't know). I think a play like that was a move to try and get the JMU players' confidence back in them that they were the #1 team. (Maybe a priority of the staff was to go in to the half up by 10 or more) I'm sure there's a better word to describe it out there, but it escapes me.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with the entire fan base over semantics of poor word use. JMU is a great team this year. Landers is a very special player. I just thought that, at that point in the game, the play call was not the best that could've been made, even if it did work. As you all have said, your offense wasn't being stopped, so why go to a trick play at that point?

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
I like your post, but I think where we differ is our thoughts on the word 'desperate'. I'm not saying JMU was trying to score any way possible, when I used that word. I think the coaching staff was losing the confidence of the kids on the sideline (maybe they thought they should be up by more, I don't know). I think a play like that was a move to try and get the JMU players' confidence back in them that they were the #1 team. (Maybe a priority of the staff was to go in to the half up by 10 or more) I'm sure there's a better word to describe it out there, but it escapes me.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with the entire fan base over semantics of poor word use. JMU is a great team this year. Landers is a very special player. I just thought that, at that point in the game, the play call was not the best that could've been made, even if it did work. As you all have said, your offense wasn't being stopped, so why go to a trick play at that point?

Agree on the grounds we have a different use of the word 'desperate'. And granted the O wasn't being stopped but the trick play most definitely boosts moral of the players and fans. Not to mention sometimes drives do stall in the red zone hence our lone field goal. I do believe that in every tight game we've been in this year we've used at least one trick play. I can definitely recall at least one against both App, Villanova, and Richmond.

T-Dawg95
December 3rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Agree on the grounds we have a different use of the word 'desperate'. And granted the O wasn't being stopped but the trick play most definitely boosts moral of the players and fans. Not to mention sometimes drives do stall in the red zone hence our lone field goal. I do believe that in every tight game we've been in this year we've used at least one trick play. I can definitely recall at least one against both App, Villanova, and Richmond.

I can't disagree with you, all your points are valid. Good luck this week.

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
So does everyone agree that we will likely start every drive from around the 40 yard line? Or does someone think that Scotty could potentially see some deep kickoffs?

T-Dawg95
December 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
So does everyone agree that we will likely start every drive from around the 40 yard line? Or does someone think that Scotty could potentially see some deep kickoffs?

I'm guessing that depends on A) if Villanova kicks to him and B) how deep Nova's kicker is able to get the ball.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I can't disagree with you, all your points are valid. Good luck this week.

Hopefully another good game for the Dukes although I'm not sure how much longer my heart will hold out.:(

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm not saying JMU was trying to score any way possible, when I used that word. I think the coaching staff was losing the confidence of the kids on the sideline (maybe they thought they should be up by more, I don't know). I think a play like that was a move to try and get the JMU players' confidence back in them that they were the #1 team.

That was the end of a long 6:00 drive to close out the first half...I'm not so sure there were confidence concerns either.

It was simply a trick play on first down, why not try it? If it doesnt work, there are 3 other downs to try the score, and given the way that game and that drive were going, there was no reason to believe a touchdown wasn't coming on one of those other 3 tries anyway.

By the way, MAJOR props to the defender that didn't bite on the fake. Amazing discipline on that play. That ball was definitely up for grabs and I think we just out-leapt your guy.

jmu_duke07
December 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Well if this "trick" play showed ill-confidence from the coaches to the players, then why do play action passes, or use the option offense? Football is not only about passing and running, but also duping the opposing side to get points on the board... If your gonna argue that point.. then why did your quarterback fake going for it then pooch it? Did your coach have no confidence in your offense?

wideright82
December 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing that depends on A) if Villanova kicks to him and B) how deep Nova's kicker is able to get the ball.

A) they will probably not kick to him

B) Marcoux has 17 touchbacks on the season... he can get it deep enough

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

Depending on how cold it gets that could cause issues with his range.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

I think the weather will be good enough that he will kick it deep. I'm just hoping he mi****s 1 or 2 and McGee can run it back.

My actual hope is that 'Nova only kicks off to start one of the halfs and no other times...:D In that case, I don't care if it's a touchback.

EDIT: Um...so I type mis-hits as in doesn't catch it right and it got edited??? xconfusedx

wideright82
December 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Depending on how cold it gets that could cause issues with his range.

Don't have to tell me xrulesx

wideright82
December 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I think the weather will be good enough that he will kick it deep. I'm just hoping he mi****s 1 or 2 and McGee can run it back.

My actual hope is that 'Nova only kicks off to start one of the halfs and no other times...:D In that case, I don't care if it's a touchback.

EDIT: Um...so I type mis-hits as in doesn't catch it right and it got edited??? xconfusedx

hahahaha that is editing at its finest... god forbid **** ends up anywhere in a word... hmmm i wonder ****ake mushrooms?

edit: Got it... that thing is GOOOOOOD

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM

You clearly weren't watching the game at that point, or you need to get your eyes checked, because THERE CLEARLY WAS A FAKE. Rodney even overemphasized it by cocking his arm up and then throwing it forward like he was going to throw the ball in the ground. When I've seen him spike it before he hasn't wound up that much.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Andy Talley will prove on saturday why he's the most underrated coach in America

charliej
December 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM

Been saving it up for the rematch!xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Interesting stat:
Over the last 2 seasons JMU has rushed for more than they passed for in 22 of 24 games. The 2 games they passed for more than they rushed for have been against....
Villanova and ......Villanova.

Lets see, the last time these 2 teams played one team rushed for 169 and passed for 184. And one team rushed for 229 and passed for 48. Gets that one is easy to figure out...... Nope:
JMU rushed for 169 and passed for 184 for 353 yards of total offense.
Nova rushed for 229 and passed for 48 for 277 yards of total offense.

The 184 yards was Landers 2nd highest passing game of the season, and again was the only game this season where JMU had more passing yardage than rushing yardage. And last season Lander's also had his passing high for the season against Nova, passing for 300 (25 of 32, and that was with 2-3 dropped balls), while JMU ran for 207, and again it was the only game where JMU had more passing yards than rushing yards in 07'.

That said, I think JMU will:
-rush for more than they did the last game against Nova, but well less than their about 284 yards per game avg.
-pass for less than they did the last game against Nova, but more than their about 117 yards per game avg.
-end up rushing for more than they pass for.

charliej
December 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Interesting stat:
Over the last 2 seasons JMU has rushed for more than they passed for in 22 of 24 games. The 2 games it passed for more than they rushed for have been against....
Villanova and ......Villanova.

Lets see, the last time these 2 teams played one team rushed for 169 and passed for 184. And one team rushed for 229 and passed for 48. Gets that one is easy to figure out. Nope:
JMU rushed for 169 and passed for 184 for 353 yards of total offense.
Nova rushed for 229 and passed for 48 for 277 yards of total offense.

The 184 yards was Landers 2nd highest passing game of the season, and again was the only game this season where JMU had more passing yardage than rushing yardage. And last season Lander's also had his passing high for the season against Nova, passing for 300 (25 of 32, and that was with 2-3 dropped balls), while JMU ran for 207, and again it was the only game where JMU had more passing yards than rushing yards in 07'.

That said, I think JMU will:
-rush for more than they did the last game against Nova, but well less than their about 284 yards per game avg.
-pass for less than they did the last game against Nova, but more than their about 117 yards per game avg.
-end up rushing for more than they pass for.

I was at that game...Nova never got off the BUS that day.I think Georgetown would have given us a game it was that ugly.xnonono2x We lost a few guys for the season in that game as well if I recall correctly.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
My prediction is that JMU's streak of luck ends.. but it will still be close

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
My prediction is that JMU's streak of luck ends.. but it will still be close

Yep......I agree......we won't need a Hail Mary this weekend........The Dukes will have this game put away by the 4th quarter.....

How many NOVA fans are coming down for the game?

Do Dukes

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
There is a huge difference between game venues.

1/3 full Villanova stadium in the rain and wind

Overflowing Bridgeforth with everything on the line

I stated numerous times before the season that the game that scared me the MOST and (in my predictions had us losing to) villanova. That said, we played awful that game and couldn't stop Sczueraser (sp haha). They will not let that happen again. JMU will come out swinging and I agree with Jmu-mrd-dad...game will be in the bag by the 4th quarter. Not predicting a score, but that's just my feeling.

Bridgeforth on Saturday will be more loud and insane than Appy State earlier this year. AND let us not forget...last year when JMU and 'Nova played at Bridgeforth...JMU won handily 35-7 ...

But hey, I like how it's 58-42 right now in favor of 'Nova ... that just means more people will be pissed off come Saturday night.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
There is a huge difference between game venues.

1/3 full Villanova stadium in the rain and wind

Overflowing Bridgeforth with everything on the line

I stated numerous times before the season that the game that scared me the MOST and (in my predictions had us losing to) villanova. That said, we played awful that game and couldn't stop Sczueraser (sp haha). They will not let that happen again. JMU will come out swinging and I agree with Jmu-mrd-dad...game will be in the bag by the 4th quarter. Not predicting a score, but that's just my feeling.

Bridgeforth on Saturday will be more loud and insane than Appy State earlier this year. AND let us not forget...last year when JMU and 'Nova played at Bridgeforth...JMU won handily 35-7 ...

But hey, I like how it's 58-42 right now in favor of 'Nova ... that just means more people will be pissed off come Saturday night.
you can't compare these teams between last year and this year.. they're completely different in everything that they do

madisonfan87
December 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
you can't compare these teams between last year and this year.. they're completely different in everything that they do

Agree, Nova is a different beast than last year. They also have a chip on their shoulder with the last second LUCKY win by JMU. I smell a closer game than people are predicting.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
This has all the makings of a barn burner

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I know you can't compare teams between years. BUT, JMU is far improved from last year, and while 'Nova is a whole new beast, well, never mind...

Anyway, my point was that JMU is much tougher at home. That Villanova team in 2007 was much better than that score and game indicated. Hence the reason why before the season started I gave JMU one loss...'Nova...so the respect is there. A big part of that, however, was due to the game being in Pa. Now that it is in the friendly confines of Bridgeforth, I'm not so sure it will be all that close...

I think the WOCO game was an outlier....that offense is tough to control and they will likely be in most games because of it. I'm confident our defense will stop Sczzuar and be able to key on Whitney and Young and knock them around a bit. We shall see though. They play the game for a reason.

blur2005
December 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
I love how the margin of votes keeps growing in Villanova's favor. Just keep doubting JMU...xwhistlex

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I love how the margin of votes keeps growing in Villanova's favor. Just keep doubting JMU...xwhistlex

nobody's doubting jmu.. they just want villanova to win.. how many games have you actually been an underdog in this year?

th0m
December 4th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Duke, ASU, possibly Richmond, Wofford. The first Villanova game might have been a toss-up, I don't know.

Dignan
December 4th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I think these teams are pretty evenly matched, but that JMU has a slight advantage with the Landers factor. That being said for me the difference comes down to home field advantage, JMU wins.

I hope jmusports.com has the TV feed open for everyone again like they did last week, this will be an exciting game to watch.

4th and What?
December 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I think these teams are pretty evenly matched, but that JMU has a slight advantage with the Landers factor. That being said for me the difference comes down to home field advantage, JMU wins.

I hope jmusports.com has the TV feed open for everyone again like they did last week, this will be an exciting game to watch.

Unfortunately not, just the audio feed at madizone for the rest of the playoffs.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=3626311

Unless you recieve the TV feeds in Philly or Harrisonburg, it looks like you will need ESPN 360 or game plan package to watch it.

Dignan
December 4th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Unfortunately not, just the audio feed at madizone for the rest of the playoffs.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=3626311

Unless you recieve the TV feeds in Philly or Harrisonburg, it looks like you will need ESPN 360 or game plan package to watch it.

Aw, that sucks for me. I can't access either, what with not living in the US. At least the radio feed is available, I'll be thankful for what I have.

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I know you can't compare teams between years. BUT, JMU is far improved from last year, and while 'Nova is a whole new beast, well, never mind...

Anyway, my point was that JMU is much tougher at home. That Villanova team in 2007 was much better than that score and game indicated. Hence the reason why before the season started I gave JMU one loss...'Nova...so the respect is there. A big part of that, however, was due to the game being in Pa. Now that it is in the friendly confines of Bridgeforth, I'm not so sure it will be all that close...
I think the WOCO game was an outlier....that offense is tough to control and they will likely be in most games because of it. I'm confident our defense will stop Sczzuar and be able to key on Whitney and Young and knock them around a bit. We shall see though. They play the game for a reason.

I think you would have some visiting fans, particularly those that sit in the student section, that would argue that Bridgeforth is not so "friendly". Wouldn't have it any other way!

Dukie95
December 4th, 2008, 07:41 AM
How many NOVA fans are coming down for the game?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but Nova was given 1,000 seats.

wideright82
December 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Duke, ASU, possibly Richmond, Wofford. The first Villanova game might have been a toss-up, I don't know.

you are correct. Villanova was a 4 point favorite I believe in the first game. Without the 3 for homefield advantage they had us as a slight, slight favorite, but it was basically a pickem.

to answer the question about who is going, I am going to try to get down there, and get a ticket (the hard part?). Scratch that, I am coming.

th0m
December 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I think at this point your best bet is through the Villanova allotment, or go online to JMUSports.com. Our sales were at 13,500 last night for a 15,500 cap stadium, not including your 1,000 allotment. I don't think it's a stretch that the remainder will be sold today, so I'd hurry up if I were you!

wideright82
December 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I think at this point your best bet is through the Villanova allotment, or go online to JMUSports.com. Our sales were at 13,500 last night for a 15,500 cap stadium, not including your 1,000 allotment. I don't think it's a stretch that the remainder will be sold today, so I'd hurry up if I were you!

thanks th0m, i am hustlin. Worst case is I'll try to get one of the guys on the team to get me one. If the through JMU/Villanova route doesnt work. xthumbsupx

edit: GOT EM..... Section 15.... itll be one hell of a game fellas

jlcharles
December 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Everyone knows what is going to happen when Szczur lines up in the Wildcat formation and no one can stop him. Best offensive player we have without a doubt.

Hoyadestroya85
December 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Everyone knows what is going to happen when Szczur lines up in the Wildcat formation and no one can stop him. Best offensive player we have without a doubt.

I'd go out of my way and say that he's the most underrated Offensive player in the CAA

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'd go out of my way and say that he's the most underrated Offensive player in the CAA

Agreed. Everyone on UNH knew where he was going with the ball, and no one could stop it. He was virtually untouched all the time before 4 or 5 yards. Whitney is an animal, too.

Top Dawg
December 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM
thanks th0m, i am hustlin. Worst case is I'll try to get one of the guys on the team to get me one. If the through JMU/Villanova route doesnt work. xthumbsupx

edit: GOT EM..... Section 15.... itll be one hell of a game fellas

FYI, Section 15 is the "Family Plan" section for season tickets holders. Usually has more children and a bit more friendly than the student section, plus you get the dukettes in front of you instead of the cheerleaders! What row are you in?

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Agreed. Everyone on UNH knew where he was going with the ball, and no one could stop it. He was virtually untouched all the time before 4 or 5 yards. Whitney is an animal, too.

Anyone with half of a functioning brain can tell he is going to run everytime he lines up back there. JMU certainly didn't stop it.... I really hope we found the answer.

I also really hope he hasn't been practicing throwing the deep ball.... cause with running that play all year long.... they are set up perfect for a nice little trick play.

Hoyadestroya85
December 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Anyone with half of a functioning brain can tell he is going to run everytime he lines up back there. JMU certainly didn't stop it.... I really hope we found the answer.

I also really hope he hasn't been practicing throwing the deep ball.... cause with running that play all year long.... they are set up perfect for a nice little trick play.

He was a QB in HS

wideright82
December 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
FYI, Section 15 is the "Family Plan" section for season tickets holders. Usually has more children and a bit more friendly than the student section, plus you get the dukettes in front of you instead of the cheerleaders! What row are you in?

That sounds good to me... thanks for the info... row F I believe

Hoyadestroya85
December 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Starting SS Darrel Young was cleared to play.. big news

charliej
December 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Starting SS Darrel Young was cleared to play.. big news

Awesome..Go Cats!xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
December 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
nobody's doubting jmu.. they just want villanova to win.. how many games have you actually been an underdog in this year?

The poll is for WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN NOT WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN.

Right now 57% or whatever it is now say they think Nova will win. As far as what % wants Nova to win, I suspect its higher than that- people tend too root for the underdog....but as far as the majority of AGS respondents, JMU is the underdog

Hoyadestroya85
December 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
The poll is for WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN NOT WHO DO YOU WANT TO WIN.

Right now 57% or whatever it is now say they think Nova will win. As far as what % wants Nova to win, I suspect its higher than that- people tend too root for the underdog....but as far as the majority of AGS respondents, JMU is the underdog

but still.. people vote for who they want to win

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
The poll is meaningless. There are some posters that vote Nova and in the thread on who will win/score, they are picking JMU.

Appears that the UR vote is going for JMU.....surprising.....should be a great game.

Go Dukes.

petethepenguin15
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Lol. I can't believe that more people think Nova is going to win rather than Jmu. But the poll is meaningless. I take Jmu but this game is going to come down to a final drive I can guarentee you that.

Pitz
December 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Looks like the majority of you should get your wallets out for this game. USBet.com has JMU at a 9-point favorite.

jmufan999
December 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
how is crApp state only a 4.5 point favorite over Richmond? they're going to humiliate Richmond.

jmuOX581
December 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
If anybody is out here in Wisconsin and has Time Warner Cable - the game is being shown on TWC Sports (channel 32) free of charge; it's the only FCS game being shown.

petethepenguin15
December 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
how is crApp state only a 4.5 point favorite over Richmond? they're going to humiliate Richmond.

Don't ya think that humiliate might be a bit much?

They are going to win for sure and I agree that 4.5 is way to small but you never know about an upset.

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Besides Villanova, Richmond is probably the defense that has the best chance of slowing Edwards and Co. down. What's ridiculous is that we're a 9 point favorite over Villanova.

BlueHen86
December 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
No love for JMU in this poll. I'm surprised that 57% of responders expect Villanova to win.

I'm guessing that JMU didn't get the ASU vote.xlolx

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
No love for JMU in this poll. I'm surprised that 57% of responders expect Villanova to win.

I'm guessing that JMU didn't get the ASU vote.xlolx

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Good guess. As far as elections go around here, that's a signficant portion to be missing out on.

Dukie95
December 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Good guess. As far as elections go around here, that's a signficant portion to be missing out on.

Yeah, and Montana.

asu3peat
December 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I voted JMU based on homefield advantage and the weather not being such a factor this time.

Ivytalk
December 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Nova wins on a last-second Hail Mary!:D

4th and What?
December 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Looks like the majority of you should get your wallets out for this game. USBet.com has JMU at a 9-point favorite.

I just saw that and came here to post. I think JMU has a shot at winning this big, but a 9 point spread if ridiculous. If I wasn't such a JMU fan.......
xwhistlex

DB_Atlantic10
December 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Well as it stands, the only article/column that actually predicted JMU to win was tbe CAA column by Bruce Dawd and he was reluctant to make a call....Hmmmm Which is it, is Villanova really that good or is JMU really that bad?

jlcharles
December 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Well as it stands, the only article/column that actually predicted JMU to win was tbe CAA column by Bruce Dawd and he was reluctant to make a call....Hmmmm Which is it, is Villanova really that good or is JMU really that bad?

They are both great teams and incredibly even matched. The betUS line is absurd.

jmufan999
December 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Don't ya think that humiliate might be a bit much?

They are going to win for sure and I agree that 4.5 is way to small but you never know about an upset.

look, i know it's very PC to say "oh this game will be close", "it's the playoffs", blah blah blah. i've seen BOTH of these teams live TWICE in the past two years (1 home, 1 away for each). TRUST me when i say, it will not be close. it might be close at halftime, but the final score will not reflect it. this is the same UR team that got dominated last year in Boone, i have seen nothing this year to say anything will be different. JMU ran for 220+ on this supposedly stingy defense. the biggest difference (in my opinion) is that Edwards is a better passer now than last year. Richmond is a good team, but App State is on a different level.

if UR wins, i'll come back here and you all can tell me how much of a moron i am. or you can do that now, whatever makes you feel good. also keep in mind that going out on a limb like this actually takes some guts... it's very easy to do the PC thing every week and say every game will be close. there are blowaways every week, even in the playoffs, and i'm going out on a limb predicting one here. sorry this was so long! nothing personal, UR... i am rooting for you big time! just think you're going to lose.

madisonfan87
December 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Great game Nova, your team played well today.