PDA

View Full Version : Top 8 need to be seeded next year. Woff/JMU shouldn't be 1st round

WOCO
November 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Discuss

ChickenMan
November 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I agree

JMU Newbill
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
same argument... different day

theres never going to be a perfect system

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Richmond and Villanova would have beaten Woffy. Heck, with UNH actually stopping the run these days, they probably would have hung a loss on Woffy.

What's the big deal?

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with you, but JMU has been saying this for the last two years when it got paired with YSU and ASU, respectively, and were passed off as a bunch of sore losers.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
same argument... different day

theres never going to be a perfect system

No one wants a perfect system. We just don't want the abomination that we have right now.

grizband
November 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Just like Montana/Wofford shouldn't have been the first round game last year; however, it does make for some entertaining games.

WOCO
November 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Richmond and Villanova would have beaten Woffy. Heck, with UNH actually stopping the run these days, they probably would have hung a loss on Woffy.

What's the big deal?

Which game did you watch. Doesn't matter anyway. We can't play hypothetical games. The point is we won't have the opportunity to see that game because two of the best played in the first round.

paward
November 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I thought all 16 teams was considered the best!

cats2506
November 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
What about Weber and Cal Poly, matched up in the in the first round, so out of the top 2 teams in the west, one will be eliminated tonight.

Thunderstruck84
November 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
You're gonna have to beat the best team(s) sooner or later... what difference does it make if it's in the 1st or 4th round?

p.s. I wouldn't call the FCS playoffs an abomination when you look at how the division above us does it

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Which game did you watch. Doesn't matter anyway. We can't play hypothetical games. The point is we won't have the opportunity to see that game because two of the best played in the first round.

Odd, it is you that is playing a hypothetical game right now. How do you annoint Woffy as one of "the best" without seeing Villanova and/or Richmond? xeyebrowx

I watched the JMU/Woffy game. I saw a good Woffy team. I also saw a JMU defense with LBs and CBs that often could not decide to commit to a runner. I am sure their coaching staff will agree. And, as several JMU posters have said, if they play defense that way next week, they will be watching the playoffs on TV.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
You're gonna have to beat the best team(s) sooner or later... what difference does it make if it's 1st or 4th round?

p.s. I wouldn't call the FCS playoffs an abomination when you look at how the division above us does it

It is also much better than how the division below does things.

millwoga1
November 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
i agree - ok just wanted my 100th post really but i do agree

Syntax Error
November 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
DiscussWe have already in a gazillion threads. xrolleyesx

Cleets
November 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
What about Weber and Cal Poly, matched up in the in the first round, so out of the top 2 teams in the west, one will be eliminated tonight.

Yup....
Cal Poly is getting screwed this year (but I guess that happens)

AZGrizFan
November 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
You're gonna have to beat the best team(s) sooner or later... what difference does it make if it's in the 1st or 4th round?

It matters to those ECB mo-fo's who measure a conferences relative success by how deep their teams run into the playoffs. xrolleyesx If Wofford could have gotten a cupcake like Vanillanova or UNI, THEY might be one of the final 8 left standing....instead, they're sent packing early and make the SoCon look weaker in the process.

WOCO
November 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=Cluck U;1234441]Odd, it is you that is playing a hypothetical game right now. How do you annoint Woffy as one of "the best" without seeing Villanova and/or Richmond? xeyebrowx

I watched the JMU/Woffy game. I saw a good Woffy team. I also saw a JMU defense with LBs and CBs that often could not decide to commit to a runner. I am sure their coaching staff will agree. And, as several JMU posters have said, if they play defense that way next week, they will be watching the playoffs on TV.[/QUOT

Let me help you understand what hypothetical means. In the context of what we are talking about, it means talking about "if two teams play what would happen".I am saying that games between wofford and nova and richmond aren't possible because good teams are forced out in the first round. You are saying that you don't feel that wofford is a good football team. I think you may have the minority opinion. if you look at the majority of people that follow FCS, I think they may disagree. I the majority had their way, I think that they would prefer that the better teams move on. Or we could have it your way and have JMU, App Montana, and N. Iowa play in on bracket. Throw in Weber and Cal Polly too with nova. Get my point? FCS needs to let the the best at least have the opportunity to play through and meet later.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
It matters to those ECB mo-fo's who measure a conferences relative success by how deep their teams run into the playoffs. xrolleyesx If Wofford could have gotten a cupcake like Vanillanova or UNI, THEY might be one of the final 8 left standing....instead, they're sent packing early and make the SoCon look weaker in the process.

Villanova and UNI were better teams and thus deserved the cupcakes. Wofford should have played Richmond.

AZGrizFan
November 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Villanova and UNI were better teams and thus deserved the cupcakes. Wofford should have played Richmond.

To send Wofford to JMU implies Wofford was the last team in. JMU should have gotten Maine. Or Colgate. Vanillanova and UNI were NOT better teams than JMU, yet got much easier games in the first round. It makes N sense.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
To send Wofford to JMU implies Wofford was the last team in. JMU should have gotten Maine. Or Colgate. Vanillanova and UNI were NOT better teams than JMU, yet got much easier games in the first round. It makes N sense.

JMU can't play Maine, they should have gotten EKU and Wofford should have played Richmond. JMU did get hosed but I guess that is just the drawback of playing where most of the FCS teams are in, it is all plane trips out west but a there will always be a few teams that can be bused out east.

BestOfBreed
November 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I agree. I know why Wofford was sent there (geography) but I've spent the last week trying to explain to casual fans (mostly BCS fans) that no Wofford was not actually the 16th seed.

hebmskebm
November 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The NCAA will always do everything it can to keep their costs down and produce a playoff competition ON THE CHEAP. Cost-conscious regionalization reings supreme and will continue for the forseeable future. *punches wall*

WOCO
November 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I think it really speaks to how the NCAA really views FCS football. I dont see them saying that they wouldnt send Florida to play So Cal in a bowl game because it might cost too much. Call me crazy. MAtter of fact, what if they did do the playoffis in the BCS. Think they would make Florida Play Alabama insted of boise state because of travel?

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I watched the JMU/Woffy game. I saw a good Woffy team. I also saw a JMU defense with LBs and CBs that often could not decide to commit to a runner. I am sure their coaching staff will agree. And, as several JMU posters have said, if they play defense that way next week, they will be watching the playoffs on TV.

You are saying that you don't feel that wofford is a good football team.

xrolleyesx

Good lord, if you are going to argue with a person, at least read what they are writing...especially if you quote them. xoopsx

UMass922
JMU can't play Maine, they should have gotten EKU and Wofford should have played Richmond.

Agreed. The travel issue is understandable, but some attempt should be made to balance that with seeding/matchup considerations as well. Pairing EKU with JMU and Wofford with Richmond should have been a no-brainer.

gbhmt
Hearing the UM AD Jim O'Day speak today before the game explains some things (he's on the playoff selection committee).

To charter a plane to fly a team costs over $100,000 dollars. To charter a bus it's around $12-15,000. Here's the rub though: FCS playoffs barely breaks even. There's just not enough money in FCS. BCS is huge, FCS is overlooked.

I'm not defending regionalization. It's stupid. More of a blasphemy than this is the fact that you've got three NC contenders balled together in one side of one bracket because they all happen to be in the West. But it's a harsh reality.

UMass922
November 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I dont see them saying that they wouldnt send Florida to play So Cal in a bowl game because it might cost too much. Call me crazy. MAtter of fact, what if they did do the playoffis in the BCS. Think they would make Florida Play Alabama insted of boise state because of travel?

I hate to have to state the obvious, but a Florida-USC game is going to make oodles of money wherever it's played, so travel costs are basically irrelevant. Like it or not, that's just not the case in FCS, generally speaking. Travel costs are an understandable concern--though as I said, it would have been just as easy to pair EKU with JMU and Wofford with Richmond.

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Heheh...Villanova cupcake. xrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM

I think he means the teams Villanova and UNI played. Hence if Wofford had drawn a cupcake like Villanova or UNI did.

Cleets
November 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM

I believe he's implying that Villanova was given a "cupcake" like UNI was... xwhistlex

Syntax Error
November 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I think it really speaks to how the NCAA really views FCS football. I dont see them saying that they wouldnt send Florida to play So Cal in a bowl game because it might cost too much.That's because the NCAA has NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING BOWL GAME SELECTIONS other than saying who is eligible.

APPdopted
November 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Could be worse...it could be determined by computers(BCS) which lead into a non-playoff postseason.

ChickenMan
November 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM

He may have been referring to the fact that both Richmond and Nova have better defenses.. particularly vs the run.. than does JMU. However JMU does have the advantage when it comes to offense.

Wofford vs either Nova or Richmond would have been a good game.