PDA

View Full Version : JMU D vs Wingbone ? / PROPS to Woff

gofurman
November 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
All this talk about how the wingbone doesn't work? JMU may - and should - win. BUt they are flat NOT getting it done on D, that is for sure. THE WINGBONE WORKS - PERIOD.

JMU wil win because Woff's D couldn't stop JMU either - to JMU's credit.

If that is a great CAA Defense then there is trouble ahead. (And I am pulling for someone / anyone to beat App... that is why I am so frustrated - I watch that Defense of JMU and see why App and Woff put in the 30s on it.

Look at what Paul Johnson has done with a "variant" of this offense - 2 National titles at Georgia Southern, consecutive bowl games at NAVY (after 30 years with no bowl game!) , and now rolling in its FIRST YEAR at GTech (not even the right players yet) - He basically tied for the ACC
1st place with players who don't really know how to run it yet!

Why does no one believe the wingbone (or similar) can work? I will never understand that.

Heck, my FU guys - not good this year - help App to 26 and Woff to 35. That's a better average against the 2 common opponents than JMU - tops in the CAA! FU just has NO OFFENSE :(

*If that is the weak conference Mickey Matthews talks about I wouldn't think they would be gashing his defense for some gosh awful 6 yards a run play!

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Who said the Wingbone doesn't work?

rufus
November 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
edit

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
JMU does not have the best D in the CAA...even without their injuries. JMU's LBs need some help...they aren't that good.

Villanova has a better D. Richmond has a better D.

Woffy should not have been in this game.

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
This was not a regular game for the defensive unit. Really your post just reeks of sour grapes.

Good job you did better against Wofford and ASU.

We're still playing.

How'd you do against Delaware, GSU, Elon? Samford, WCU?

JMU DUUUKES
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
JMU does not have the best D in the CAA...even without their injuries. JMU's LBs need some help...they aren't that good.

thats just stupid to say. Wofford's offense is very well run, much like Georgia Techs. That type of offense can shred a team at any level.

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
thats just stupid to say. Wofford's offense is very well run, much like Georgia Techs. That type of offense can shred a team at any level.

Really? A stupid thing to say? Can you honestly say that you guys have the starting LBs you want on the field right now? xconfusedx

Simple question. xeyebrowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM

It's one thing to be without a major skill player on offense, but come on - how many injuries do they have? 2 or 3? Unless those LB's are fast enough for the NFL I don't think it would have made such a big difference.

And while JMU may not have the best D in the CAA, they are the best team in the CAA that got all they could handle. The game essentially came down to one play - that turnover on downs in JMU territory. Without that stop, Wofford could have very well scored and not left enough time for JMU to get down the field again.

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
It's one thing to be without a major skill player on offense, but come on - how many injuries do they have? 2 or 3? Unless those LB's are fast enough for the NFL I don't think it would have made such a big difference.

And while JMU may not have the best D in the CAA, they are the best team in the CAA that got all they could handle. The game essentially came down to one play - that turnover on downs in JMU territory. Without that stop, Wofford could have very well scored and not left enough time for JMU to get down the field again.

We're missing our best LB D.J. Brandon, ever since the Richmond game I think.

If you knew anything about JMU, you'll know we play a 4-2-5 scheme so we only play with two LB'ers. Now if one of those is really good, and falls out and there are two freshman LB's that have to step up, then YES, it makes a big difference. Next xcoffeex

WOCO
November 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM

If you knew anything about JMU, you'll know we play a 4-2-5 scheme so we only play with two LB'ers. Now if one of those is really good, and falls out and there are two freshman LB's that have to step up, then YES, it makes a big difference. Next xcoffeex

Wofford has WR's and QB's playing halfback right now. None of that stuff matters. play the game.

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Wofford has WR's and QB's playing halfback right now.

Good for you. Do you have freshmen replacing seniors? Do they put up the same kind of stats? Are you replacing these players in a thin corps of players?

If yes, then good for you. Still, your post makes no sense whatsoever.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Even if one person from the six in the box made a big difference, since he has been out since the Richmond game, I'd say Wofford's offense is better than any CAA offense that you have faced all year. No matter how you try to spin it, the CAA people saying JMU would win with no problem were completely wrong.

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Gosh, maybe JMU D3kes could learn a thing or two from a knowledgeable fan...then again, he might say that you wrote something stupid. xrolleyesx xlolx

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Gosh, maybe JMU D3kes could learn a thing or two from a knowledgeable fan...then again, he might say that you wrote something stupid. xrolleyesx xlolx

Hmm xconfusedx Are you comparing me to Alexale xbawlingx

I think a lot of people are holding their respective hearts until he inevitably makes his way to the boards.... xlolx

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 06:02 PM
And while JMU may not have the best D in the CAA, they are the best team in the CAA

Huh?

JMU might have the best record...but many think they aren't the best in the CAA. xnodx

While Appy might dominate the SoCon, JMU did not dominate the CAA. The top three teams were all in the same ballpark.

xcoffeex

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Huh?

JMU might have the best record...but many think they aren't the best in the CAA. xnodx

While Appy might dominate the SoCon, JMU did not dominate the CAA. The top three teams were all in the same ballpark.

xcoffeex

JMU's average marigin of victory in conference games: 23
App's average marigin of victory in conference games: 21.375

Take away the games with the second place teams and you have...
JMU's average marigin of victory: 25.71
App's average marigin of victory: 17.86

And you have to consider that JMU played W&M and all of the other playoff CAA teams except for UNH.

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
JMU's average marigin of victory in conference games: 23
App's average marigin of victory in conference games: 21.375

Take away the games with the second place teams and you have...
JMU's average marigin of victory: 25.71
App's average marigin of victory: 17.86

And you have to consider that JMU played W&M and all of the other playoff CAA teams except for UNH.

Another example of stats getting in the way of a the truth.

Exactly how did JMU "dominate" Richmond and Villanova? xeyebrowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Another example of stats getting in the way of a the truth.

Exactly how did JMU "dominate" Richmond and Villanova? xeyebrowx

Doesn't matter. If you take into account every game, JMU dominated their conference opponents slightly more, and the marigin is greater if you look at the teams from 3rd place and below. And It's not like App. had some close calls as well (see the GSU and Elon games).

WMTribe90
November 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Ridiculous thread. Too bad too, it was simply a great game between two great teams and a shame it happened in the first round. Congrats to Wofford on a great effort and congrats to JMU for pulling out the win. Its the playoffs, just win, the rest of the discussion is meaningless and silly IMO.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM

App didn't dominate the SoCon either...

Georgia Southern, Furman, and Elon were all very close games.

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Doesn't matter. If you take into account every game, JMU dominated their conference opponents slightly more, and the marigin is greater if you look at the teams from 3rd place and below. And It's not like App. had some close calls as well (see the GSU and Elon games).

Of course it matters. JMU was not clearly the best in the CAA. Richmond and Villanova were/are just as good...and they both have better defenses. Try to keep up with the posts instead of pulling in a useless stat about Appy/JMU versus their respective conference mates.

19Duke97
November 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Of course it matters. JMU was not clearly the best in the CAA. Richmond and Villanova were/are just as good...and they both have better defenses. Try to keep up with the posts instead of pulling in a useless stat about Appy/JMU versus their respective conference mates.

What? JMU beat UR and VU at their place. They went undefeated and won the conference title. How are we not the best? And for today's win, does not matter, a win is a win - period. congrats to Wofford on a good game. Villanova up next, guess JMU will have another opportunity to prove they are the best in the CAA.

Longhorn
November 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Even if one person from the six in the box made a big difference, since he has been out since the Richmond game, I'd say Wofford's offense is better than any CAA offense that you have faced all year. No matter how you try to spin it, the CAA people saying JMU would win with no problem were completely wrong.

Hmmm.

"Wofford's offense is better than any CAA offense" JMU faced this year? xrolleyesx Sorry not buying it. That opinion is obviously biased and represents a point of view skewed by a dislike of the CAA. Admittedly, JMU doesn't often see the kind of wingnut offense Wofford runs, and the JMU D had trouble today defending against it, but that doesn't necessarily make Wofford's offense better than other CAA offenses. For the record I think that honor (for the best O JMU faced in the CAA this year) goes to Richmond, followed closely by Nova. I'd give Wofford 3rd prize if it were competing in the CAA. ;)

So, here are the facts at the end of today's game: However "good" Wofford's offense is (was?...past tense as Wofford's season is now OVER) it clearly wasn't "good" enough to beat JMU. Hence, we have a 38-35 final, with JMU winning and moving on as the #1 seed. JMU led 14-7 after 1, 28-14 at the half, gave up an opening drive TD to see the gap close to 28-21, then committed a turnover that led to another Wofford drive and TD to see the game tied at 28-28 after 3. Then JMU reestablished control, kicked a short FG putting JMU up 31-28, afterwhich JMU took over on downs and drove in for another score making it 38-28 with about 2:30 on the clock. Wofford scored late to post the final margin, but JMU only trailed once in the game (7-0 early in the 1st) but answered that score quickly, and never trailed again in the game. It was a good, competitive game, but the only predictions that were wrong are those SoCon folks who thought Wofford could beat JMU. xpeacex

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Wofford, Nova, and Richmond are good teams and better than average D's. They all have one thing in common......they failed to stop JMU when they needed to.

If you want to put them ahead of JMU......rock on.....JMU is still playing.

The weather played a huge factor in the Nova-JMU game during the regular season and we'll see how the re-match falls out next weekend.

Go Dukes.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Hard to compare Wofford's offense to URs, Nova's, UMass's or anyone else JMU faced. Sure JMU struggled with the unconventional wishbone. But UR & Nova have better defenses.

JMU 2 games ago was +10 in the TO margin on the season. Now they are plus +8. If JMU had been even in the TO margin vs Wofford, or +, they would have won no problem. I was saying berforehand that the only way JMU loses is if they go -2 to -3 in the TO margin. With Lander's 1st pick thrown in 8 games (picked off near the Wofford goal line), and Wofford not turning the ball over (I don't even think they fumbled once, must less lost one), JMU was -1 in the TO margin. I expected JMU to struggle stopping that tricky wishbone. I also expected Wofford to turn the ball over and have more than 2 penalties (JMU had only 5). That didn't happen, and there you go, close game.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Thats why Nova struggled to beat Towson, and UR beat W&M in OT (despite being +6 in TO margin). JMU blew W&M & Towson off the field.

wideright82
November 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Thats why Nova struggled to beat Towson, and UR beat W&M in OT (despite being +6 in TO margin). JMU blew W&M & Towson off the field.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx good reasoning. xnonono2x

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hmmm.

"Wofford's offense is better than any CAA offense" JMU faced this year? xrolleyesx Sorry not buying it. That opinion is obviously biased and represents a point of view skewed by a dislike of the CAA. Admittedly, JMU doesn't often see the kind of wingnut offense Wofford runs, and the JMU D had trouble today defending against it, but that doesn't necessarily make Wofford's offense better than other CAA offenses. For the record I think that honor (for the best O JMU faced in the CAA this year) goes to Richmond, followed closely by Nova. I'd give Wofford 3rd prize if it were competing in the CAA. ;)

So, here are the facts at the end of today's game: However "good" Wofford's offense is (was?...past tense as Wofford's season is now OVER) it clearly wasn't "good" enough to beat JMU. Hence, we have a 38-35 final, with JMU winning and moving on as the #1 seed. JMU led 14-7 after 1, 28-14 at the half, gave up an opening drive TD to see the gap close to 28-21, then committed a turnover that led to another Wofford drive and TD to see the game tied at 28-28 after 3. Then JMU reestablished control, kicked a short FG putting JMU up 31-28, afterwhich JMU took over on downs and drove in for another score making it 38-28 with about 2:30 on the clock. Wofford scored late to post the final margin, but JMU only trailed once in the game (7-0 early in the 1st) but answered that score quickly, and never trailed again in the game. It was a good, competitive game, but the only predictions that were wrong are those SoCon folks who thought Wofford could beat JMU. xpeacex

Actually there were a lot of people on the JMU boards that said they would win by 21 points plus.

Are you saying wofford COULDN'T have won? A lot of people said we COULD have won but from the game I saw Wofford very much COULD have won.

I believe even the folks on YOUR radio said that the refs took away the 1st down from us (I don't know that's what I heard). If we even scored it would be a different game all together whether it's JMU coming back or Wofford.

Sure we didn't win but we very much could of. The only one's wrong here are the ones that said JMU would win no problemxpeacex

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Wofford, Nova, and Richmond are good teams and better than average D's. They all have one thing in common......they failed to stop JMU when they needed to.

If you want to put them ahead of JMU......rock on.....JMU is still playing.

The weather played a huge factor in the Nova-JMU game during the regular season and we'll see how the re-match falls out next weekend.

Go Dukes.

I read in the newspaper this morning that Richmond and Villanova are still playing too! Sweet!

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Actually there were a lot of people on the JMU boards that said they would win by 21 points plus.

Are you saying wofford COULDN'T have won? A lot of people said we COULD have won but from the game I saw Wofford very much COULD have won.

I believe even the folks on YOUR radio said that the refs took away the 1st down from us (I don't know that's what I heard). If we even scored it would be a different game all together whether it's JMU coming back or Wofford.

Sure we didn't win but we very much could of. The only one's wrong here are the ones that said JMU would win no problemxpeacex

Well, first off, I wasn't one of those JMU boosters who predicted a 21 pt. win, either here or over on the caaZone. ;) As for "could have vs. should have"..."any given Saturday" is a cliche for a reason. Sure, the Terriers could have won. Any given Saturday. They played their hearts out. Still, they led only once in the game against JMU, and then for only a brief period of time. The Terriers tied it up after an interception, but JMU took the lead right back, and then never let it go. In my book the Terriers deserve praise for being competitive and making the game interesting. But the best team won, and crying over a 4th down spot doesn't change that.

gofurman
November 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
This was not a regular game for the defensive unit. Really your post just reeks of sour grapes.

Good job you did better against Wofford and ASU.

We're still playing.

How'd you do against Delaware, GSU, Elon? Samford, WCU?

Delaware - win
GSU - loss
Elon - loss
Samford - win
WCU - win
what's the point? ->

I am just saying I read on the JMU board throughout the week some (certainly NOT ALL) posters who said Woff couldn't run that old school stuff on them. I can see how imformed they were. I see this every year (and this is NOT sour grapes - Woff is our rival.)

gofurman
November 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM

this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I am talking about - you are crazy if you think they did not belong.

Unless you mean they "should not have been in this game" by meaning they shouldn't have been "seeded" to play JMU in the first place ... that I agree with - for BOTH teams. JMU deserved an easier team (see Colgate) and Woff didn't deserve to be playing #1 - but that is another topic. If this is what you mean, I apologize.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Well, first off, I wasn't one of those JMU boosters who predicted a 21 pt. win, either here or over on the caaZone. ;) As for "could have vs. should have"..."any given Saturday" is a cliche for a reason. Sure, the Terriers could have won. Any given Saturday. They played their hearts out. Still, they led only once in the game against JMU, and then for only a brief period of time. The Terriers tied it up after an interception, but JMU took the lead right back, and then never let it go. In my book the Terriers deserve praise for being competitive and making the game interesting. But the best team won, and crying over a 4th down spot doesn't change that.

The best team did win, but you talk as if the game was never in doubt. I bet if Wofford got a better spot on the fourth down and they score on that drive and then JMu scores on their next drive (which I bet they would have) you wouldn't be giving off the same tone you are now.

We lost by 3 and whether you like it or not that 4th down was huge.

gofurman
November 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hmmm.

Again - I am really not hugely pro-wofford here but their O - from any objective obserer was CLEARLY good enough to win. As was JMUs. To say Woffords O didn't get it done is ridiculous. Their D was the downfall - FOR BOTH TEAMS. 35-38 is a great O showing from both sides. Are you really going to argue otherwise? Basically saying you need your O to score 40+ to win games??? It is the D coordinators who better update their resumes - on both sides :)

gofurman
November 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hard to compare Wofford's offense to URs, Nova's, UMass's or anyone else JMU faced. Sure JMU struggled with the unconventional wishbone. But UR & Nova have better defenses.

JMU 2 games ago was +10 in the TO margin on the season. Now they are plus +8. If JMU had been even in the TO margin vs Wofford, or +, they would have won no problem. I was saying berforehand that the only way JMU loses is if they go -2 to -3 in the TO margin. With Lander's 1st pick thrown in 8 games (picked off near the Wofford goal line), and Wofford not turning the ball over (I don't even think they fumbled once, must less lost one), JMU was -1 in the TO margin. I expected JMU to struggle stopping that tricky wishbone. I also expected Wofford to turn the ball over and have more than 2 penalties (JMU had only 5). That didn't happen, and there you go, close game.

thank you - someone who understands 35-38 is not a loss by either offense!

th0m
November 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Delaware - win
GSU - loss
Elon - loss
Samford - win
WCU - win
what's the point? ->

I am just saying I read on the JMU board throughout the week some (certainly NOT ALL) posters who said Woff couldn't run that old school stuff on them. I can see how imformed they were. I see this every year (and this is NOT sour grapes - Woff is our rival.)

So you read it on the JMU board. Why don't you confront the people about it on that board then? Why bore the rest of AGS with a conversation here? JMU fans on here have been mostly courteous and reasonable.

Again, go to the JMU boards if you want to hang some Dukes fans out to dry. They said it there, and it's just ridiculous to supplant some of the things said there over to a national board. You want me to go quote some of the stuff from other fans boards?

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
For the record, Wofford:
Rushing avg during regular season: 343. Vs JMU 301
Passing avg during regular season: 108. Vs JMU 130

JMU:
Rushing avg during regular season: 279. Vs Wofford: 343
Passing avg during regular season: 111. Vs Wofford: 126

Total offense JMU 469, Wofford 431.
Wofford running that offense isn't going to beat a team it doesn't outrush.

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
To say Woffords O didn't get it done is ridiculous.

xrolleyesx First off, I didn't say that, but I'll play along. I wrote that Wofford's O wasn't good enough to beat JMU. Ridiculous? Hardly. Wofford's O wasn't good enough to outscore JMU...so, in your own words, they didn't get it done. The Terriers scored 35. That wasn't enough. They needed at least 39. ;)

ChickenMan
November 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM
And while JMU may not have the best D in the CAA, they are the best team in the CAA that got all they could handle.

JMU may be the best.. but both Nova and Richmond are right there with them... xnodx

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Woffy should not have been in this game. Considering our schedule and where JMUs' defense is listed nationally, you have to respect it...... Some of these post are so d@mn dumb!!! ASU, followed by on the road at Maine, on the road at Richmond and on the Road at Villanova, with at weak Hofstra team fitted somewhere in there. These are playoff teams....yet what I don't get is that JMU won these games...so what about the defenses of those teams that we beat...why in the H$ll did they not hold JMU to fewer points then or run up the score against such a weak defense...so obviously JMU's defense was better than the opposing defenses on that Day.....

Also in regards to the Wishbone, Wofford's offense is not an offense you see every day. It's a great offense for inexperienced and poorly coached teams. But it's limited with speedy and well coached defenses. Once the run is stopped, there it really no where to go with it. Wofford runs it to perfection and ran it to perfection against JMU yesterday, much to their credit. JMU won't see that type offense again unless they play Wofford again next year. No other CAA team North or South runs it...Rhode Island ran it unsuccessfully until their coach from GSU to mention was let go last year.

Most of the time I really like reading AGS, especially during the early season...but once the play-offs start and the ban wagon non football knowledge posters start flooding the board with dumb uninformed comments, it really makes it hard to stick around....IMO xnonono2x

HensRock
November 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
The CAA can't play defense.
Wofford hung 35 on our "best" team!
xwhistlex

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
xrolleyesx First off, I didn't say that, but I'll play along. I wrote that Wofford's O wasn't good enough to beat JMU. Ridiculous? Hardly. Wofford's O wasn't good enough to outscore JMU...so, in your own words, they didn't get it done. The Terriers scored 35. That wasn't enough. They needed at least 39. ;)

On the contrary, Wofford's DEFENSE wasn't good enough to beat JMU. 35 points should win a game especially when the other team hasn't allowed that much all season (I think no one scored more than 31).

South Carolina Duke
November 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Wofford has WR's and QB's playing halfback right now. None of that stuff matters. play the game.

Well it does matter, not really since Wofford the second best team in the SoCon was just put out. But our most experienced LB is a true freshman. But we have been making work all season so let's just wait and see. Go Dukes!

South Carolina Duke
November 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Young Terrier,

Congrats on the moral victory for yourself and WC. Remember, it was a 10 point margin until Rucker scored with what 2 minutes to go.

BIg deal! We controlled the ball longer than WC it seems. And by the way, your team does "punt", and to boot, very cowardly on the quick kick when WC posed like they were going for it on 4th and whatever.

Congrats on a good season. Sorry it ended so soon for WC.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Young Terrier,

Congrats on the moral victory for yourself and WC. Remember, it was a 10 point margin until Rucker scored with what 2 minutes to go.

BIg deal! We controlled the ball longer than WC it seems. And by the way, your team does "punt", and to boot, very cowardly on the quick kick when WC posed like they were going for it on 4th and whatever.

We get a better spot, we score and regardless of whether you guys score or not there is no 10 point lead for JMU. He's just basically saying that the game was never in doubt when about half way through the fourth it was.

punting cowardly? we're not dumb enough to punt to Scotty.

South Carolina Duke
November 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
We get a better spot, we score and regardless of whether you guys score or not there is no 10 point lead for JMU. He's just basically saying that the game was never in doubt when about half way through the fourth it was.

punting cowardly? we're not dumb enough to punt to Scotty.

Why not your coach said that you would kick to him?

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Why not your coach said that you would kick to him?

He said he would until he burned us which he did once so we started quick kicking, believe it or not we've done that a lot in close games but since we've only been in 3 (one of which we didn't punt) you don't see it.

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM
On the contrary, Wofford's DEFENSE wasn't good enough to beat JMU. 35 points should win a game especially when the other team hasn't allowed that much all season (I think no one scored more than 31).

So you're now going to argue that Wofford's D was responsible for the loss? xrolleyesx Sorry, you're just arguing to argue now. Let's make this simple...Wofford's best team effort of the year wasn't good enough to beat JMU. Blame Wofford's D if you want...but JMU entered the contest averaging almost 40 points a game (48 in home games)...so from where I'm sitting Wofford's D held JMU under it's season average. You're also wrong about Wofford scoring the most points against JMU this year. UMass scored 38 against JMU at Bridgeforth.

One last thought...the basic concept behind winning requires that one team score more points than the other team. Generally that means the offense is going to provide the majority of those points. If a team's offense isn't good enough to outscore the other team (as in Wofford's contest against JMU) that team generally loses. Bottom line, scoring 35 points against JMU is very good, but again, I repeat, Wofford's O wasn't good enough to beat (translate that to mean outscore) JMU.

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM

Uh, check the CAA stats. Even after the Wofford game and after losing senior co captain LB DJ Brandon in the 6th game, JMU is #2 in total defense in the CAA behind UR. Nova is #3. And you can't say its due to JMU playing an easier OOC schedule.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM
Young Terrier,

alexale! It's good to see you posting under a new username.

th0m
December 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM
Young Terrier,

I actually thought the quick kick by the QB was very smart, and well executed. They fed off of their reputation of going for it on pretty much any 4th down situation, so we had nobody back to receive. Remember, Landers did something like this against Villanova, I think, as well, which had similar results.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 06:34 AM
So you're now going to argue that Wofford's D was responsible for the loss? xrolleyesx Sorry, you're just arguing to argue now. Let's make this simple...Wofford's best team effort of the year wasn't good enough to beat JMU. Blame Wofford's D if you want...but JMU entered the contest averaging almost 40 points a game (48 in home games)...so from where I'm sitting Wofford's D held JMU under it's season average. You're also wrong about Wofford scoring the most points against JMU this year. UMass scored 38 against JMU at Bridgeforth.

One last thought...the basic concept behind winning requires that one team score more points than the other team. Generally that means the offense is going to provide the majority of those points. If a team's offense isn't good enough to outscore the other team (as in Wofford's contest against JMU) that team generally loses. Bottom line, scoring 35 points against JMU is very good, but again, I repeat, Wofford's O wasn't good enough to beat (translate that to mean outscore) JMU.

Okay let me say this one time because I thought I already said this before-- regardless if we got a better spot and scored on that second to last possession JMU would have still probably scored because our defense was horrible. That's what I meant.

Wofford played a good game. You did not blow us out. Honestly I wasn't impressed

Longhorn
December 1st, 2008, 06:42 AM
Okay let me say this one time because I thought I already said this before-- regardless if we got a better spot and scored on that second to last possession JMU would have still probably scored because our defense was horrible. That's what I meant.

Wofford played a good game. You did not blow us out. Honestly I wasn't impressed

Sour grapes. Enjoy the off season.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 1st, 2008, 07:15 AM
I actually thought the quick kick by the QB was very smart, and well executed. They fed off of their reputation of going for it on pretty much any 4th down situation, so we had nobody back to receive. Remember, Landers did something like this against Villanova, I think, as well, which had similar results.

I thought it was a pretty good game plan as well. We really had no answer for it.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sour grapes. Enjoy the off season.

Yep sour grapes, I said your team would have won anyway.

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
For what its worth JMU held Wofford to their 3rd lowest rushing output of the season. Wofford came into the game avg 343 on the ground. Only 2 teams held them to under 300- SC (185) and the Citadel (279). Their other 9 opponents they were in the 300s or 400s.

terrierbob
December 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
This is like fighting the Civil War again. The South lost. WC lost. We had a great season; in my opinion, the JMU game pretty much proved the ASU game was an anomaly. JMU has a great team. The difference maker was the stellar QB.

We should quit trying to argue we were somehow deserving of the win, or that we were the better team. For a wonderful perspective on how a true warrior accepts defeat, here's the statement by "Great" Dane Romero, our graduating FB:

“It was one of those things,” Romero said. “I never should have let that one guy tackle me. I should have run through it. That’s the way the ball bounces sometimes.”

Props to JMU.

OLDMAIN80
December 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
This is like fighting the Civil War again. The South lost. WC lost. We had a great season; in my opinion, the JMU game pretty much proved the ASU game was an anomaly. JMU has a great team. The difference maker was the stellar QB.

We should quit trying to argue we were somehow deserving of the win, or that we were the better team. For a wonderful perspective on how a true warrior accepts defeat, here's the statement by "Great" Dane Romero, our graduating FB:

“It was one of those things,” Romero said. “I never should have let that one guy tackle me. I should have run through it. That’s the way the ball bounces sometimes.”

Props to JMU.

Well said TB, my sentiments exactlyxthumbsupx

Hoboken Dukes
December 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
i was one of those that picked jmu in a blowout, 52-24. wofford played a helluva game and their offense was very tough to stop. had landers just tucked that ball and not thrown the INT we're looking at 45 points outta the dukes which is closer to what i had expected. at that point, late in the 3rd, wofford would have been down 14 and might have had to come out of their shell. that's what we were all hoping for, because in the 4th when they had to go under center a bit (maybe because of noise?) and pass a few times they seemed to slow down some.

anyway, game is over. the prior posts that jmu is not the best team in the caa are ridiculous. we played our toughest caa games on the road this year and won them all. we get 'nova at home, where we waxed them last year to the tune of 35-7. i don't expect a similar score discrepancy, but i am expecting a win.