PDA

View Full Version : CAA vs. The World

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Didn't take the time to see if this has started yet but so far..

Of the 5 CAA vs. World matchups today...

CAA: 3
World: 0

28-27 JMU leading Wofford

Maine vs. UNI about to start..

phoenixphanatic21
November 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I know the SoCon has the App victory from earlier, so the world has at least 1.

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I know the SoCon has the App victory from earlier, so the world has at least 1.

Yeah but it wasn't against a CAA team.

phoenixphanatic21
November 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah but it wasn't against a CAA team.

Ahh touche sir. Thought we were just counting total wins.

JMU Newbill
November 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
jmu has 1 victory, thats all i care about

SoCon48
November 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Maine vs. UNI about to start..

More accurately, it's the CAA's 5 vs 11. Wonder if ASU will get the chance to beat 3 CAA teams again this year?

PS. Does Mickey M still think the SoCon is such a weakling after Woff took his JMU team down to the wire? The same team that App whipped by hanging 70 on earlier in the season?

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
More accurately, it's the CAA's 5 vs 11. Wonder if ASU will get the chance to beat 3 CAA teams again this year?

That road starts next week xnodx

millwoga1
November 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Maine vs. UNI about to start..'

Y'all can't even win CAA vs. Appy much less world. Wait appy might be better than the world - Appy shifts into another couple gears in playoff time

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM

PS. Does Mickey M still think the SoCon is such a weakling after Woff took his JMU team down to the wire? The same team that App whipped by hanging 70 on earlier in the season?

You mean the same App team that JMU beat earlier this season?

millwoga1
November 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Do you really want to see them in the finals? or are you secretly hoping they lose

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Do you really want to see them in the finals? or are you secretly hoping they lose

A little of both :D

millwoga1
November 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
A little of both :D

congrats to you guys today and good luck throughout

SoCon48
November 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM

You mean the one M M M of the S pulled out of his rectum? You mean the same ASU team that hung 70 on Wofford?

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM
You mean the one M M M of the S pulled out of his rectum? You mean the same ASU team that hung 70 on Wofford?

I'm sorry you still haven't grasped that a loss is a loss. Wanna wine about it? Play a better 2nd half next time.

To Wofford I was at the game and you guys have a SOLID football team. One of the BEST offenses I've seen all year (including App). Very systematic and you don't beat yourselves. Hard fought loss by your players. You should be proud of them.

rudy1648
November 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM

No,,not nearly the same App team you defeated by earlier this season by,,,,,,,what was it? 3 points? I know App blew a 21 point lead,,you don't have to tell me that. BUT,,,,,it is not like jmoo hung a huge number on us. 3 points seperates #1 and #2.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
No,,not nearly the same App team you defeated by earlier this season by,,,,,,,what was it? 3 points? I know App blew a 21 point lead,,you don't have to tell me that. BUT,,,,,it is not like jmoo hung a huge number on us. 3 points seperates #1 and #2.

Same players, same team. You can hide behind the excuse "well we've improved throughout the season" but so have all the other teams. Point is all 3 are quality teams and if APPY is so confident in their 70 point lead over Wofford why do all you APPY fans NOT want to play them again? And now that JMU won you thump your chest about the 70 point win when you seem to forget that you STILL lost to us.

Dixiedawg80
November 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Same players, same team. You can hide behind the excuse "well we've improved throughout the season" but so have all the other teams. Point is all 3 are quality teams and if APPY is so confident in their 70 point lead over Wofford why do all you APPY fans NOT want to play them again? And now that JMU won you thump your chest about the 70 point win when you seem to forget that you STILL lost to us.

Not all of us do sir.

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Well, a loss is a loss, but lets be honest here. When app beat jmu last season there was much, much, much more at stake, asu sent jmu home, and then went on to win it all. Jmu outplayed asu this year in like the 3rd game of the season and deserved to win. but in retrospect, had asu won then they could be playing in that brutal top half of the bracket as the number one seed, so in reality, that loss to jmu may have helped asu more than it hurt it.

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Well Maine isn't making a case for much. xwhistlex

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
4-1 is a pretty good showing. Give me 5 teams from any other conference that would go 4-1 in the first round

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
4-1 is a pretty good showing. Give me 5 teams from any other conference that would go 4-1 in the first round

I'm pretty sure given the chance, 5 teams from the MVFC would do just as well--or better.

Maine didn't even belong in this...

mainejeff
November 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty sure given the chance, 5 teams from the MVFC would do just as well--or better.

Maine did but I'm not so sure our QB or coaching staff do.......xsmhx

wideright82
November 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM

so are you saying that they would have gone 4-1 or 5-0 against Wofford, UNI, SIU, Colgate, and EKU? Or just in general, given the right draw, they COULD do better?

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM

GFC had 4 teams in 2003 and went 3-1....xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
November 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM

How can you make such a outragous claim...when the MVFC champion has already lost today to a CAA team...xnonono2x xnonono2x

ATrain
November 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
W&M or Liberty should've been in instead of Maine...not saying either would've beaten UNI, but probably would've performed better than what Maine's doing right now.

(Yes, I'm still bitter)

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
W&M or Liberty should've been in instead of Maine...not saying either would've beaten UNI, but probably would've performed better than what Maine's doing right now.

(Yes, I'm still bitter)

Maine was a good team...however they played right into UNI's strength. UNI is good at stopping the Run.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
UNI 1 CAA 0

Longhorn
November 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Appy had all it could handle against a MEAC team today. Odds are Richmond is gonna lay the wood to you next week.

Oh, and for the record, JMU hung 35 on ASU in one half. That seems like a pretty big number (it might even be described as "huge") by many people. But you just keep trying to rationalize the loss to JMU if it makes you feel better. xthumbsupx

Longhorn
November 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM

xlolx No, sorry...don't think so....not by a long shot.

kirkblitz
November 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM
haha maine u suck, thanks for screwing 4 other teams

WMTribe90
November 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Grow up, there was no good team available to fill that 16th spot and neither Liberty or WM would have won at UNI. If you think someone else should have been selected (I do), thats fine, but the dome is a tough place to play and UNI is a very good team. No one in contention for the 16th spot was likely to pull that upset.

Libertine
November 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM
No one in contention for the 16th spot was likely to pull that upset.

Well, we'll really never know that, will we? Maine proved all year that they couldn't win the big game and simply hammered home the point today. The gripe is that there were at least four other teams -- W&M included -- more deserving of the chance to pull the upset and were denied the opportunity.

Col Hogan
November 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well, we'll really never know that, will we? Maine proved all year that they couldn't win the big game and simply hammered home the point today. The gripe is that there were at least four other teams -- W&M included -- more deserving of the chance to pull the upset and were denied the opportunity.

And if one of those four were selected...we'd still have people whining that they were left out of the field...

Get over it and move on...it's not becoming of you...xcoffeex

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
In your opinion. Beat Presbyterian and I might agree. I saw Liberty play several times on TV, you were not more deserving.

jmufan999
November 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM

HAHAHA i KNEW this was coming! "we won 70-24, therefore we're better than you because your game was close."

who won the JMU-Appy game this year? i must have forgotten.

jmufan999
November 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM

which teams? it's only three in my opinion (i guess you could include Jax State if you wanted to stretch it). W&M, Maine, Liberty (Elon can't POSSIBLY be in the discussion after they got absolutely killed by Liberty... that was a play-in game).

W&M just wasn't that good. they would probably have lost to UNI also. and i'm POSITIVE that Liberty would have been embarrassed.

the argument of "Maine lost, therefore they shouldn't be in the field" makes absolutely no sense. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would have expected them to beat a SEEDED team? they did what the last team in the playoffs will do just about every year... lose to a better team.

congrats, UNI.

matfu
November 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I think App State is still the team to beat since they are 3 time defending national champions and last year they got better and better each round in the playoffs. they have been there before. time will tell.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Not all of us do sir.

Agreed. This was directed to THOSE Appy fans and not the App fans that have a level head. And yes I'm aware JMU has THOSE type of fans as well. Would love to have a chance at a showdown again with you guys.

kirkblitz
November 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
which teams? it's only three in my opinion (i guess you could include Jax State if you wanted to stretch it). W&M, Maine, Liberty (Elon can't POSSIBLY be in the discussion after they got absolutely killed by Liberty... that was a play-in game).

W&M just wasn't that good. they would probably have lost to UNI also. and i'm POSITIVE that Liberty would have been embarrassed.

the argument of "Maine lost, therefore they shouldn't be in the field" makes absolutely no sense. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would have expected them to beat a SEEDED team? they did what the last team in the playoffs will do just about every year... lose to a better team.

congrats, UNI.

if your good enough to be in the playoffs AT LEAST BE COMPETITIVE

SoCon48
November 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
HAHAHA i KNEW this was coming! "we won 70-24, therefore we're better than you because your game was close."

who won the JMU-Appy game this year? i must have forgotten.

CONGRATULATIONS. JMU BEAT A SCHOOL WITH AN ENROLLMENT OF BARELY 1000 students! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
CONGRATULATIONS. JMU BEAT A SCHOOL WITH AN ENROLLMENT OF BARELY 1000 students! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

There in your conference not ours xpeacex

SoCon48
November 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
In your opinion. Beat Presbyterian and I might agree. I saw Liberty play several times on TV, you were not more deserving.

Where was Delaware? Oh, nevermind. The CAA should have gotten 6 teams in. xeekx

SoCon48
November 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
There in your conference not ours xpeacex

You beat em by a whopping 3 points at your house. Please win all the rest of your games and hopefully App can also and we'll see you in Tennessee.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
You beat em by a whopping 3 points at your house. Please win all the rest of your games and hopefully App can also and we'll see you in Tennessee.

Beat AppY by 3 points in our house as well. So now you and that 1k school (Wofford) have something in common.

Houndawg
November 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
How can you make such a outragous claim...when the MVFC champion has already lost today to a CAA team...xnonono2x xnonono2x

The CAA champ beat the MVC champ, but there was nowhere near the huge difference that I keep hearing CAA people insist there is. The difference in the game was special teams. Surprisingly, considering what I've heard up until now, UNH's defense was more impressive than their offense, which I didn't expect coming into the game. Of course I didn't expect to lose if we won the TO battle either, but we did. Good news is that we lost one starter on defense, three on offense, and have a season with the new coach and system under our belt; we're positioned pretty well to be back. See you in crapsville.

dennisdent
November 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The CAA champ beat the MVC champ, but there was nowhere near the huge difference that I keep hearing CAA people insist there is. The difference in the game was special teams. Surprisingly, considering what I've heard up until now, UNH's defense was more impressive than their offense, which I didn't expect coming into the game. Of course I didn't expect to lose if we won the TO battle either, but we did. Good news is that we lost one starter on defense, three on offense, and have a season with the new coach and system under our belt; we're positioned pretty well to be back. See you in crapsville.

I thought JMU was the CAA champ this season.xreadx

wideright82
November 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM

and for some reason I thought UNH was the number 4 CAA team

Houndawg
November 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM

xconfusedx I'm pretty sure I heard UNH described as CAA champion. Not true?

clenz
November 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Are you sure you aren't a NDSU fan? They also can't grasp the fact that their team just wasn't as good as they thought.

Col Hogan
November 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM

Facts, gentlemen...you're arguing with facts...

We'll have none of that here...

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
How do you do as better than 4-1 when the MVC went 1-1?

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM

1350 according to the game notes.

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM

Guess you heard wrong...4th in the CAA this year.

dennisdent
November 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Nope: http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48488&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=3621257

SideLine Shooter
November 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM

I think Mickey was thinking ahead. He really wants to play App for the title.xnodx xnodx

Houndawg
November 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Nope: http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48488&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=3621257

My bad, it was champion of the CAA North.

wideright82
November 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Facts, gentlemen...you're arguing with facts...

We'll have none of that here...

xoopsxwhat was i thinking..... xlolxxlolx

wideright82
November 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
My bad, it was champion of the CAA North.

that, however, is true. xthumbsupx

R.A.
November 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM

FAMU for one.

Ud1Hens
November 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
FAMU for one.

Any team that loses 3 games to MEAC opponents does NOT deserve an at-large bid. I am sorry. Besides that they had zero quality wins in or out of conference.

Alabama State W 30-20
@ Delaware State L 35-28 OT
@ Howard W 51-24
@ Tennessee State W 28-21
South Carolina State L 28-21
Winston-Salem W 23-0
@ Southern University W 52-49
@ Norfolk State W 31-28
Morgan State L 13-10
@ North Carolina A&T W 45-7
Hampton W 45-24
vs. Bethune-Cookman W 58-35

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 10:47 PM

personally, i thought most of the players were dominated. not sure how the coach stops that.

South Carolina Duke
November 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM

JMU 2
SoCon 0

Sorry Woco, Bo, Vine.

ViennaSpider
November 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM

(Yes, I'm still bitter)

W&M would have given them a better game and probably won it.

AppStateLumbee
November 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
When I look at it, JMU is Furman of 2005. At the time I didn't think App would win the National Championship, we always seemed to be snake bitten. When the quarterfinals ended I was trilled to see that we were playing Furman again at home. We loss to Furman in the 2005 regular season by 3 points. I knew we were going to win that game for that reason. I wasn't able to see or hear our JMU match this year but I heard that we were up 21-0 at half. After hearing that I thought we were going to kill everyone this year. I knew JMU had a great team with a great quarterback and they were out for blood after last year's playoff game. I was shocked when I saw that we loss by 3 points. In retrospect, I am glad that we loss that game, it is motivation and it shows the determination of our foes. I look forward to a rematch with JMU, I just wish it were in the semifinals because I still want to beat Montana in the finals. JMU is on cloud nine and I strongly believe that App would hand them a mudhole stomping like we did Richmond or Deleware last year.

Longhorn
November 29th, 2008, 11:56 PM
When I look at it, JMU is Furman of 2005. At the time I didn't think App would win the National Championship, we always seemed to be snake bitten. When the quarterfinals ended I was trilled to see that we were playing Furman again at home. We loss to Furman in the 2005 regular season by 3 points. I knew we were going to win that game for that reason. I wasn't able to see or hear our JMU match this year but I heard that we were up 21-0 at half. After hearing that I thought we were going to kill everyone this year. I knew JMU had a great team with a great quarterback and they were out for blood after last year's playoff game. I was shocked when I saw that we loss by 3 points. In retrospect, I am glad that we loss that game, it is motivation and it shows the determination of our foes. I look forward to a rematch with JMU, I just wish it were in the semifinals because I still want to beat Montana in the finals. JMU is on cloud nine and I strongly believe that App would hand them a mudhole stomping like we did Richmond or Deleware last year.

Keep dreaming. ;)

AppStateLumbee
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 AM
We were Co Champions of the SoCon and CAA (A-10) last year, hopefully we will do the same again this year.

Jackman
November 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Maine didn't screw anyone. The Selection Committee chose the field and the CAA only had one vote. And for all anyone knows the lone CAA rep might have voted for W&M. That's plausible from a conference politics perspective, because of the 5 CAA playoff entrants only one (JMU) is actually a full CAA member. W&M would have been a second full member, but a 4th football-only member got invited instead. If the A10 had continued on as a 6 member conference when the 6 CAA teams left to form their own conference, I doubt 4 of the 6 A10 teams would have been selected for the playoffs. Though they'd be coming off a 2007 season when they had 3 out of 6 teams in the playoffs.

Anyway, the Maine kids try hard, but they have a flawed, one-dimensional team that can't beat certain types of opponents. UNI is one of them, especially in a dome. As soon as I saw the matchup I knew this crap was coming.

tandemlax
November 30th, 2008, 12:30 AM
W&M would have given them a better game and probably won it.

Would have loved to see the Tribe get a shot. I think they would have scored a few more times, but I'm not convinced they would have been in the game in the fourth quarter. Each time WM has faced a quality opponent, they have fallen behind by multiple scores in the first half, and I see no reason why this game would have been different. WM is built to come back in a way that Maine is not, but UNI looked like a national title contender on this saturday.

WMTribe90
November 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
WM should have been the last team him based on our regular season resume being the best available. That said, I'm not convinced we would have fared any better against UNI tonight. We may have scored more points than Maine, but from what I saw we would have had a hard time slowing UNI's running game. Maine played hard, but that was a tough draw for them. I'm fairly confident none of the teams considered for the 16th spot would have beaten UNI the way the looked tonight. Four wins for CAA teams on the evening certainly justifies the presence of 5 CAA teams in the field though. If I was handicapping the remaining teams from most to least likely to win the NC.....

1) JMU
2) ASU
3) Weber St.
4) Villanova
5) UNI
6) Montana
7) UNH
8) UR

This may be the best final 8 I have seen. Any one of these teams is capable of putting together three wins. Villanova should have been seeded and JMU v Villanova should have been a semi match up.

AAadict
November 30th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Tough to be the 5th team selected from a conference and go on the road to beat the best team from a top conference. How would the 5th best team from the SoCon have done traveling to UNI? We don't know. App St. is the best team until they get beat in the playoffs. They have earned their home games. But how many miles did Delaware log last year to get to Tenn.? I would like to see App St. travel the way some other teams do instead of playing at home or close to it all the time. We might get to see that next year.

th0m
November 30th, 2008, 05:56 AM

JMU on cloud nine? I think with the kind of games we've played you'd be hard pressed to find a team more firmly grounded than JMU. Mudhole stomping eh xcoffeex

SunCoastBlueHen
November 30th, 2008, 06:40 AM
To all you SoCo barkers - App. State had what amounts to a "bye" - a first round game against a MEAC team. Well, "bye" was still very much in contension after 3 quarters...

Not really an impressive showing. xcoffeex

bigappfan10
November 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I still have to stick to my main point: While the CAA conference represented itself well yesterday, i continue its more healthy for the FCS to involve more conferences in the process. I just think it makes the tournament more interesting which is why I would never advocate having the same number of teams from the Socon. I don't want to see a bunch of teams within my conference playing again. We've already seen it. Follow me here...you know when you get 8 teams from the ACC in the Big Dance in college bb with maybe a Maryland getting in with a 17-11 record? I totally disagree with that. Provide a lesser known team from another conference the chance to play. And using that analogy in our FBS, it creates interest to bring in a team from one of these smaller conferences versus a Maine from the CAA for the same reason. I'm not at all knocking the CAA since they really played well yesterday but I think by now you see my point.

Dixiedawg80
November 30th, 2008, 08:24 AM
To all you SoCo barkers - App. State had what amounts to a "bye" - a first round game against a MEAC team. Well, "bye" was still very much in contension after 3 quarters...

I don't think you are giving SCSU enough credit, they are a great football team with a great quarter back who haven't been in the play-offs since '82. They wanted to win and they played like it. I give them lots of credit for their heart. Wouldn't you agree?

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I still have to stick to my main point: While the CAA conference represented itself well yesterday, i continue its more healthy for the FCS to involve more conferences in the process. I just think it makes the tournament more interesting which is why I would never advocate having the same number of teams from the Socon. I don't want to see a bunch of teams within my conference playing again. We've already seen it. Follow me here...you know when you get 8 teams from the ACC in the Big Dance in college bb with maybe a Maryland getting in with a 17-11 record? I totally disagree with that. Provide a lesser known team from another conference the chance to play. And using that analogy in our FBS, it creates interest to bring in a team from one of these smaller conferences versus a Maine from the CAA for the same reason. I'm not at all knocking the CAA since they really played well yesterday but I think by now you see my point.

I see your point, and it's silly.

This isn't elementary school where everyone gets a trophy and a certificate of participation. Teams selected for FCS post season play already represent all major FCS conferences across the country, and national (geographic) distribution is taken care of by the Auto bids.

The concept of competition and striving to win a national championship starts with the idea that all participating teams have earned their way into post-season play. Collectively the playoff teams are intended to represent the best of best, with at-large invites selected by merit, not because of some mushy/squishy notion the NCAA needs to be more "inclusive." IMO the selection rules are fair, and if the SoCon, or any other league, could claim all 8 at-large spots on merit more power to them.

Next year there will be 20 playoff spots to accommodate the growth of FCS FB (with two spots for 2 new conference AQs and 2 spots for at-large teams). As such, it appears that the evidence clearly indicates the current FCS playoff selection process is very healthy, and fan interest in FCS FB across the country has never been higher. The one improvement I'd like to see adopted is that all playoff teams are seeded, and the travel concerns eliminated in pairing teams up in the brackets. Other than that, don't try and fix what's not broken.

bigappfan10
November 30th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Longhorn, I still vehemently disagree. I think you're missing the point. Did your conference really need that 5th team, Maine, in the tourney? Probably not since they got their arse handed to them and yes, the 5th team from the Socon would have too. Its not about that. Its about allowing the 2nd team from a different conference rather than a 5th from the CAA when its obvious they didn't deserve the opportunity to play.

BestOfBreed
November 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM

This isn't elementary school where everyone gets a trophy and a certificate of participation. Teams selected for FCS post season play already represent all major FCS conferences across the country, and national (geographic) distribution is taken care of by the Auto bids.

The concept of competition and striving to win a national championship starts with the idea that all participating teams have earned their way into post-season play. Collectively the playoff teams are intended to represent the best of best, with at-large invites selected by merit, not because of some mushy/squishy notion the NCAA needs to be more "inclusive." IMO the selection rules are fair, and if the SoCon, or any other league, could claim all 8 at-large spots on merit more power to them.

Next year there will be 20 playoff spots to accommodate the growth of FCS FB (with two spots for 2 new conference AQs and 2 spots for at-large teams). As such, it appears that the evidence clearly indicates the current FCS playoff selection process is very healthy, and fan interest in FCS FB across the country has never been higher. The one improvement I'd like to see adopted is that all playoff teams are seeded, and the travel concerns eliminated in pairing teams up in the brackets. Other than that, don't try and fix what's not broken.

A team with 3 conference losses has not earned their way in. xnonox If anything a team with 3 conference losses has proven they don't belong.

chiapet9
November 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Longhorn, I still vehemently disagree. I think you're missing the point. Did your conference really need that 5th team, Maine, in the tourney? Probably not since they got their arse handed to them and yes, the 5th team from the Socon would have too. Its not about that. Its about allowing the 2nd team from a different conference rather than a 5th from the CAA when its obvious they didn't deserve the opportunity to play.

Anything can happen on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY. If Maine had played in Orono (in a foot of snow) instead of Iowa (in a weatherless bubble), maybe the score would have been different. Look at Wofford - they got creamed during the regular season by App State but stood strong against the #1 team in the nation yesterday.

Honestly, I don't think that any of the other teams up for the 16th spot could have done much better at UNI than Maine. Say Liberty got in instead of Maine. And they send Liberty to JMU, Wofford and Richmond most likely play each other, and then EKU goes to UNI - would they have done better than Maine?

The point is - WHO KNOWS? You can never tell what will happen on a football field, who will show up and who won't.

How about we start talking about NEXT WEEK and stop complaining over the selection process that happened a week ago.

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I haven't missed your point, but you're living in fairy dust land. Merit, merit, merit. It's all about merit in the eyes of the Selection Committee. "Need" has nothing to do with it. It's all about who's EARNED their place in the playoff field. Personally, I felt W&M was more deserving of the 16th spot, but that's just me. Maine was a solid team, and the Committee saw the selection of the Black Bears as more worthy. So be it. Because Maine got handled yesterday doesn't negate their in-season accomplishments, and who was more deserving of the 16th spot? If it wasn't W&M, the only other choice would have been Liberty, and their SOS was pathetic...and LU's two wins against DII teams and bad losses simply didn't MERIT selection this year. Again, it all comes down to merit, merit, merit. I hear you barking about "allowing" a 2nd team from another conference to play...but I don't see any argument about another team that earned the spot more than Maine.

Face it, the CAA is the dominate conference (for the time being). Things can change, but until another conference steps up to the plate and starts to field stronger teams get used to the idea the CAA is going to continue to place multiple teams in the playoffs.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Its bad enough we have affirmative action in the real world. Now you want it for the playoffs too xconfusedx xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM

I agree, his point was silly. As I just replied above, he wants a version of affirmative action for the playoff selection.

bigappfan10
November 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Still not getting it but oh well. I've worked in marketing for 20 years and know that to create interest in the product, you have to make your product available to as many as possible. If I need to figure out who is going to be that 16th team in the field, then on any given saturday, i'm going to provide a team from a lesser known conference with the opportunity to perhaps "shock the nation" by beating uni on their field rather than create the unfortunate situation where about 33% of the field is from one conference.

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I think App State is still the team to beat since they are 3 time defending national champions and last year they got better and better each round in the playoffs. they have been there before. time will tell. It's called regionalization.....the best two teams in the field played in the first round last year..... If JMU would have pulled out the win w/o the fumble, they could have just as well won it all.... That's why the App. St. game was so big to them this year....not because App St. was so great, but because they knew they were a better team last year....every one knows that except the fans....the coaches and players know......it's just the blind ban wagon fans that don't have a clue....xnonono2x

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM
When I look at it, JMU is Furman of 2005. At the time I didn't think App would win the National Championship, we always seemed to be snake bitten. When the quarterfinals ended I was trilled to see that we were playing Furman again at home. We loss to Furman in the 2005 regular season by 3 points. I knew we were going to win that game for that reason. I wasn't able to see or hear our JMU match this year but I heard that we were up 21-0 at half. After hearing that I thought we were going to kill everyone this year. I knew JMU had a great team with a great quarterback and they were out for blood after last year's playoff game. I was shocked when I saw that we loss by 3 points. In retrospect, I am glad that we loss that game, it is motivation and it shows the determination of our foes. I look forward to a rematch with JMU, I just wish it were in the semifinals because I still want to beat Montana in the finals. JMU is on cloud nine and I strongly believe that App would hand them a mudhole stomping like we did Richmond or Deleware last year.And where would you like for this game to occur....at your place or JMU's.... I'm assuming you are thinking at the Rock were the clear advantage has been ASU....... Nothing like stacking the deck....right

MacThor
November 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Still not getting it but oh well. I've worked in marketing for 20 years and know that to create interest in the product, you have to make your product available to as many as possible. If I need to figure out who is going to be that 16th team in the field, then on any given saturday, i'm going to provide a team from a lesser known conference with the opportunity to perhaps "shock the nation" by beating uni on their field rather than create the unfortunate situation where about 33% of the field is from one conference.

The last team in last year was the 5th team from the CAA, and they lost @ the #1 seed on a last second TD. Perhaps that was still in the committee's mind when they considered the merit of selecting a 5th CAA squad.

The haters need to just let this go. This is a stellar final 8, all of the seeds held, and half the field is from the CAA. Any one of these teams has a shot.

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Jimminy Cricket. For the last time...this AIN'T marketing!!!! It's playoff football. You EARN your way into the post season field.

Oh, I know, to help you understand...perhaps as a self-identified MARKETING guy you'll remember that old Smith Barney commercial? You know, the one where John Housman says in a low voice with uber gravitas "At Smith Barney we make money the old fashioned way...we eaaaarrrrrnnnnn it!" That's what it's all about. End of discussion.

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The last team in last year was the 5th team from the CAA, and they lost @ the #1 seed on a last second TD. Perhaps that was still in the committee's mind when they considered the merit of selecting a 5th CAA squad.

The haters need to just let this go. This is a stellar final 8, all of the seeds held, and half the field is from the CAA. Any one of these teams has a shot.
Good post.

spdram
November 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I think the teams should earn their way in also, how much of a fan base do we build if the casual fan tunes in and sees bad football in a bolwout?

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Still not getting it but oh well. I've worked in marketing for 20 years...
Then it's your job to take the best 16 teams available and make them as marketable as possible. The day we start letting marketers choose the field, I'm done watching I-AA football. xpeacex

joecooll6
November 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I think one of the things that is lost here is that the CAA has 12 teams and is the biggest conference among those that really have a shot to get teams in. Five may be a little excessive but four teams for the CAA is that exceptional of a year mathematically. Four for the CAA is akin to 3 for the Big Sky, SoCon and MVFC.

CAA got five teams in and earned it, but that fifth spot was won barely. If Elon were to win, or possibly NDSU or even if NAU or Montana State do just a little better, one of those conferences has 3 teams in and the CAA has four which is mathematically the same. I dont think the CAA is as far ahead of everyone else as they think, a little ahead, but not as much as you think. When you have 12 teams in a power conference you're bound to have a number of good teams. Remember, you also had 5 really bad ones this year too.

joecooll6
November 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
And I dont know what Maine did to merit a selection into the playoffs. That last spot was a crapshoot but they definately didnt prove that they were the obvious choice yesterday. The CAA has 4 top teams, SoCon has 2, MVFC has 2 and BSC has 2. Maine is on that next level with Elon, NDSU, Western Illinois, Montana State and Eastern Washington.

Jerbearasu
November 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I think one of the things that is lost here is that the CAA has 12 teams and is the biggest conference among those that really have a shot to get teams in. Five may be a little excessive but four teams for the CAA is that exceptional of a year mathematically. Four for the CAA is akin to 3 for the Big Sky, SoCon and MVFC.

CAA got five teams in and earned it, but that fifth spot was won barely. If Elon were to win, or possibly NDSU or even if NAU or Montana State do just a little better, one of those conferences has 3 teams in and the CAA has four which is mathematically the same. I dont think the CAA is as far ahead of everyone else as they think, a little ahead, but not as much as you think. When you have 12 teams in a power conference you're bound to have a number of good teams. Remember, you also had 5 really bad ones this year too.

Good post! Getting 4 teams in from the SoCon, MVC or Big Sky would be the same as the CAA getting 5 in. Back in 02 the SoCon should have had 4 in and I definitely wouldn't have complained if all teams had received the bids so I can't complain now. If other teams had done what they should have done then we wouldn't be talking about this so we can't blame the CAA teams for making a case for themselves.

Pantherpower
November 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Very well said, joecool. Agree 100%.

yosef1969
November 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
CAA clearly deserved 4 teams in the tourney, but not 5. Played out just as it should have yesterday. Selecting Liberty instead of Maine would have actually benefited the best team in the league giving them the type of first round match up befitting a one seed. Instead they had to face arguably the best opponent matched up against a CAA participant. Not trying to denigrate it but I suppose I just have a hard time with the conference loyalty thing, I am an ASU fan, not a SoCon fan. If I choose to pull for another SoCon team it is more out of respect for that individual program, not conference affiliation.

Big Al
November 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM

To clarify, MVFC champs were 1-1 yesterday vs. the CAA. Here's to going 2-1 next week.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
For those JMU fans that think they can beat App just because they have/could have done it the last 2 times you another thing coming. Even when Wofford was down 2 TDs at the half against JMU I still thought App was better by at least 2 TDs. Here's the deal in 2006 Wofford could have won much like JMU could have in 2007, then Wofford did in 2007 as JMU did in 2008. That loss to Wofford motivated App to be dedicated to beat the living crap out of Wofford. The point is that JMU was dumb enough to beat App in the regular season and if they meat again App will work extra hard to beat them.

My point is that teams get better.

soccerguy315
November 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM
CAA clearly deserved 4 teams in the tourney, but not 5. Played out just as it should have yesterday. Selecting Liberty instead of Maine would have actually benefited the best team in the league giving them the type of first round match up befitting a one seed. Instead they had to face arguably the best opponent matched up against a CAA participant. Not trying to denigrate it but I suppose I just have a hard time with the conference loyalty thing, I am an ASU fan, not a SoCon fan. If I choose to pull for another SoCon team it is more out of respect for that individual program, not conference affiliation.

what do you mean "as it should have"? Do you mean that all the teams that lost yesterday shouldn't have been in the playoffs?

You choose the best teams. THEN you match them up. You don't choose who gets in the playoffs based on who the #1 seed should play. Maybe an 0-11 team should've made the playoffs, so the #1 seed could get the easiest game for them?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM
For those JMU fans that think they can beat App just because they have/could have done it the last 2 times you another thing coming. Even when Wofford was down 2 TDs at the half against JMU I still thought App was better by at least 2 TDs. Here's the deal in 2006 Wofford could have won much like JMU could have in 2007, then Wofford did in 2007 as JMU did in 2008. That loss to Wofford motivated App to be dedicated to beat the living crap out of Wofford. The point is that JMU was dumb enough to beat App in the regular season and if they meat again App will work extra hard to beat them.

Regardless of what JMU fans think.......or the outcome of previous meetings....the game is played on the field......each team will be motivated to win....let's leave it at that.

Go Dukes.

yosef1969
November 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
what do you mean "as it should have"? Do you mean that all the teams that lost yesterday shouldn't have been in the playoffs?

You choose the best teams. THEN you match them up. You don't choose who gets in the playoffs based on who the #1 seed should play. Maybe an 0-11 team should've made the playoffs, so the #1 seed could get the easiest game for them?

Thought it was pretty clear. I meant that the four teams from the CAA that deserved to be in the playoffs played well and won. The 5th got trounced. No other at-large team was beaten nearly as bad as Maine.

The other point which was maybe less clear was that the playoffs should be seeded 1-16 with the top team playing the "weakest" opponent. Since that isn't happening anytime soon, at least if Liberty had gotten in it would have worked out closer to what it should look like. Also think maybe it's time to drop the "can't play a conference opponent in the first round" rule, or at least when half of the at-large bids go to one conference anyway!

Chi Panther
November 30th, 2008, 08:33 PM
How many of you knew that UNH didn't play Richmond or JMU in conf play....xrotatehx

jmuroller
November 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM

So you're saying that App has improved since Week 4, but JMU hasn't? If we do meet App, then it will be in the National Championship obviously....and that is enough motivation right there. JMU has been playing with a chip on their shoulders all year. The sting of losing in the 1st round the past 2 years has and will be all the motivation they need.

South Carolina Duke
November 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Note to self, Appy is th only team in FCS football to continue to hold practice and play games in order to improve.

Young Pup, news flash, all teams strive to improve. Now your team has a while to just that.

MasonJar
November 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Sorry, I am having trouble hearing a lot of youxboringx xblahblahx because our 3 championship rings are making so much noise! xwhistlex

If you can't handle the current "elevation" of the Mountaineers, speak with your athletic directory and get us on your schedule, or win your way to Boone or Chatty!

BTW, looks to me like UNI got the first round bye...

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I am having trouble hearing a lot of youxboringx xblahblahx because our 3 championship rings are making so much noise! xwhistlex

If you can't handle the current "elevation" of the Mountaineers, speak with your athletic directory and get us on your schedule, or win your way to Boone or Chatty!

BTW, looks to me like UNI got the first round bye...

You are not having trouble hearing, it's a message board. There is no sound.xlolx

MountaineerGuy
November 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I love how JMU fans change their philosophy so many times in the same thread...

First it's "yeah it was only 3 pts but a win is a win"

and then it's

"Well yeah you beat one of the top 16 teams in the country but I mean you didn't beat them that bad so you must not actually be able to beat them."

As far as I'm concerned, App stole one from JMU in Boone last year, JMU stole one from App in Harrisonburg this year, the NC is on "neutral" territory, and unless I'm mistaken, it would probably be the biggest crowd an FCS game has ever seen...

And I think it would make for one hell of a tie-breaker.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM

and then it's

"Well yeah you beat one of the top 16 teams in the country but I mean you didn't beat them that bad so you must not actually be able to beat them."

As far as I'm concerned, App stole one from JMU in Boone last year, JMU stole one from App in Harrisonburg this year, the NC is on "neutral" territory, and unless I'm mistaken, it would probably be the biggest crowd an FCS game has ever seen...

Quoted for truth!xthumbsupx

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Agreed. Of course, both teams have to make it to Chatty first.xnodx

MountaineerGuy
November 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Agreed. Of course, both teams have to make it to Chatty first.xnodx

I don't mean to be a smartass, but I don't think either of them is going to have any trouble doing that. Both had close calls in the first round, and from my experience, both come out swinging harder than hell after a loss or close game (ie, last year after coming down to the wire against JMU in the first round...we steam rolled the rest of the field we faced...including two teams that featured guys starting in the NFL now).

Again, I understand the playoff and the fact that this weekend proved that both of us are as mortal as anyone, but I think both of these programs had a fire lit under their respective asses over the past year, and this weekend has only fueled and fanned it. At least in Boone, I think the next two weeks you're going to see the atmosphere, the execution, and the outcome you saw on Halloween. God have mercy on the souls that drive up here.

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2008, 01:53 AM

and then it's

You're mistaken, as you must have missed the thread about Chatty taking away 1k SRO tickets for the NC game due to the crowd situation last yr.

Syntax Error
December 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM
... it would probably be the biggest crowd an FCS game has ever seen...
You're mistaken, as you must have missed the thread about Chatty taking away 1k SRO tickets for the NC game due to the crowd situation last yr.If MGuy meant the biggest crowd for a champ game, no way (would have to be over 30,000). If he meant the biggest crowd for an FCS game, not even close (would have to be over 77,000).

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2008, 06:43 AM
If MGuy meant the biggest crowd for a champ game, no way (would have to be over 30,000). If he meant the biggest crowd for an FCS game, not even close (would have to be over 77,000).

I'm pretty confident an Appalachian - JMU game in Chattanooga would get 30,000+ if the stadium held it.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'm pretty confident an Appalachian - JMU game in Chattanooga would get 30,000+ if the stadium held it.

Without a doubt. What a sight that would be to see and hear! xbawlingx

WildCat In The Hat
December 1st, 2008, 07:19 AM
How many of you knew that UNH didn't play Richmond or JMU in conf play....xrotatehx

Actually, you are the first person to figure that out. I bet you were the smartest kid on the little bus. What's your point, that UNH doesn't belong in the playoffs? We just beat the team that beat you-and you're next. UNH also didn't play Delaware this year, just in case you wanted to make that point also.

th0m
December 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
I don't mean to be a smartass, but I don't think either of them is going to have any trouble doing that. Both had close calls in the first round, and from my experience, both come out swinging harder than hell after a loss or close game (ie, last year after coming down to the wire against JMU in the first round...we steam rolled the rest of the field we faced...including two teams that featured guys starting in the NFL now).

I agree on the coming out and hitting harder part. I think both teams will have something to prove this round. But so will Villanova and Richmond. Villanova just wants payback, as does Richmond. Richmond really can get semi-payback for their loss to us if they win versus the Mountaineers, it would legitimize their chance of knocking us off would we meet in the NC game (again, if that matchup were to happen). Tons of subplots here, and no flat scenario's for any of the games next week. UNH will want to go deep again in the playoffs, as does UNI with their hellacious Dome. Montana, similar story to JMU-Nova, also hoping to take advantage at home this time.

I think Syntax is referring to the HBCU Classics which regularly outdraw the NC Game.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2008, 07:31 AM
I think Syntax is referring to the HBCU Classics which regularly outdraw the NC Game.

He was talking about the championship game attendence record which is 32k. That's what I was talking about. JMU and Appalachian could definitely match that.

The 77k number was referring to HBCU classics. I was responding to that.