PDA

View Full Version : Need to rethink autos?

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
MEAC, OVC and now even the Patriot to some extent, are on long first round losing streaks. Is it time to rethink giving them automatics? I know it won't happen since the NCAA has already mistakenly gone to 20 teams in 2010. The fear was some teams were being left out, but it becomes more obvious every year that there are probably too many at 16, not too few.

Edge316007
November 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Not too many, just the wrong ones. I think W&M and probably Liberty would have put up better games than Colgate and EKU today.

GATA
November 29th, 2008, 03:17 PM
MEAC, OVC and now even the Patriot to some extent, are on long first round losing streaks. Is it time to rethink giving them automatics? I know it won't happen since the NCAA has already mistakenly gone to 20 teams in 2010. The fear was some teams were being left out, but it becomes more obvious every year that there are probably too many at 16, not too few.

Foolish. Taking away autobids only makes the conferences worse. Nobody wants to see a playoff scheme with 12 CAA teams and 4 SOCON teams. Because that's exactly what would happen if your idea was adopted.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 03:17 PM
SC State deserved to be in the playoffs. That's the only game I've seen today... so that's all I have an opinion on. But they were really good. If the MEAC didn't get an auto bid I guess they could get an at-large... but, it would be a shame to leave out a team of their quality.

Will
November 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
You need to have autobids in any playoff system, it makes the regular conference season more important and helps build rivalries.

EKUSteve
November 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Not too many, just the wrong ones. I think W&M and probably Liberty would have put up better games than Colgate and EKU today.

Don't just look at the EKU score. It was 10 - 10 at the half, but we blew up the second half. I give Richmond credit for making good adjustments.

We will get back. The wheels fell off the wagon on us today.

R.A.
November 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Our Champion almost knocks off the #2 seed, 3 time defending champion, at their own house no less... yet we still don't deserve our bid??

Hey, how did the Hens do against Appy State last season?

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Foolish. Taking away autobids only makes the conferences worse. Nobody wants to see a playoff scheme with 12 CAA teams and 4 SOCON teams. Because that's exactly what would happen if your idea was adopted.
GATA, the OVC and MEAC teams haven't won a playoff game in a decade each. I'm not saying add more CAA and SoCon... you could have had a Liberty this year, or if a UC Davis were having a good year on top of CalPoly.

putter
November 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I would hope, after seeing some of the results, that the conferences just keep getting better. Auto bids give the conferences a reason to build quality programs to compete at the highest level. There are always blowouts but I don't want to see the CAA invitational every year in the playoffs.

Will
November 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
What would happen if you took away the auto bids in the NCAA basketball Tournament? It would take away all the appeal of the tournament.

I think we have enough at-large bids for the serious contenders to always make it in.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
xconfusedx xsmhx Not great, but what does that have to do with this? Why try to make it personal? You cannot deny the lack of MEAC wins in the playoffs.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I would hope, after seeing some of the results, that the conferences just keep getting better. Auto bids give the conferences a reason to build quality programs to compete at the highest level. There are always blowouts but I don't want to see the CAA invitational every year in the playoffs.
putter, it's been over a DECADE. How long do you want to give them?

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM

I disagree. As we are seeing today the CAA is the best conference in FCS division. You put William and Mary in today you might have had six CAA teams win today. Maine will have the toughest game for sure but now I'm thinking they might have a better shot at UNI then I originally thought.

UNH at this very moment is taking SIU apart and W&M beat UNH at UNH.
Maine only lost to UNH in blizzard conditions 28-24. Villinova and Richmond basically got bye's today. JMU might hang on against a very good Wofford team, but MEAC, OVC and Patriot league teams don't belong in this tournament if you want the 16 best teams. If you want to include them and a very weak Liberty team then expand the field to 20 or 24 teams. Let the weak sisters play their way in against one another. Let legit conferences like the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, and MVC continue to have as many teams as possible in the field, but make the weaker conferences earn their way into to the playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
As long as every conference gets an auto-bid in hoops i think they should remain in college football.

Colgate struggles today i think shows that their style of play is not conducive to playoff success unless they're in Hamilton, NY in a driving snow storm. Colgate's lack of competitiveness in the playoffs excluding '03 bears that out.

R.A.
November 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
xconfusedx xsmhx Not great, but what does that have to do with this? Why try to make it personal? You cannot deny the lack of MEAC wins in the playoffs.

SO what?

YOU MADE IT PERSONAL. Our MEAC bid is our MEAC business... NOT THE CAA's.

We earned our Bid. If the NCAA didn't think we should have one, they wouldn't have given it to us.

Stop being such a hater.

The CAA gets five teams in, and you still want more?

Worry about yourself.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
SO what?

We earned our Bid. If the NCAA didn't think we should have one, they wouldn't have given it to us.

Stop being such a hater.

The CAA gets five teams in, and you still want more?
WTF is your problem? Did you see me ask for another CAA team? xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

mistersykes
November 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
No need to rethink autos. Although the MEAC has a losing streak, they've mostly been competitive. OVC has been down in recent years. PL has had some success in the past few years with Colgate's run in 03 and Lafayette giving App a big scare in 05 coming to mind. The SLC has had some success too. Things are fine as they are, IMO. 5 CAA teams is enough... :D

Cranium716
November 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
No, I think the autos should stay. The seeding needs to change though...

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Things are fine as they are, IMO. 5 CAA teams is enough... :D
GUYS!!!! I HAVE NOT SAID ADD MORE CAA TEAMS. But here's a newsflash for you, since the NCAA went to 20, your nightmare may come true in 2010. I am just still pissed that the playoffs have been expanded to 20. That's where this is mostly coming from. 20 is TOO MANY. 16 honestly is too many when looking at quality. A conference not winning a first round game in over a decade?... TWO conferences not winning a first round game in over a decade?!?! xcoolx

R.A.
November 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
WTF is your problem?

My problem is that you're bringing up this mess all over again.

The MEAC's NCAA Bid is not your concern.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Then you should just ignore this thread and move on. And here's a warning.... I'm going to bring it up again next year. xcoffeex

GrizDen
November 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM

That's something I can agree 100% with.xthumbsupx

MarchingMountaineer
November 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I disagree. As we are seeing today the CAA is the best conference in FCS division. You put William and Mary in today you might have had six CAA teams win today. Maine will have the toughest game for sure but now I'm thinking they might have a better shot at UNI then I originally thought.

UNH at this very moment is taking SIU apart and W&M beat UNH at UNH.
Maine only lost to UNH in blizzard conditions 28-24. Villinova and Richmond basically got bye's today. JMU might hang on against a very good Wofford team, but MEAC, OVC and Patriot league teams don't belong in this tournament if you want the 16 best teams. If you want to include them and a very weak Liberty team then expand the field to 20 or 24 teams. Let the weak sisters play their way in against one another. Let legit conferences like the CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, and MVC continue to have as many teams as possible in the field, but make the weaker conferences earn their way into to the playoffs.

Maybe the decision should have been made when CAA teams made one championship appearance in the 80's and 90's... then we wouldn't have to listen to this talk about other conferences from them now. In hindsight it was silly to let the A-10 have an auto-bid then.

(BTW, weren't both teams playing in the blizzard?)

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
auto-bids in the ncaa tourney are totally different, we are talking about 65 teams, not just 16. there are around 31 atlarge bids for the ncaa tourney, much much much more than 8. and i still think there is a big talent difference between the power conferences and an autobid conference such as the meac. i.e. asu played terrible today, sc state played awesome, and asu still won by 17.

putter
November 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I agree Hen. I think the expansion to 20 will allow more teams from the top conferences in, not more from other conferences. The NCAA B-Ball tourney has it's first round routs and the FCS will have theirs but allowing them entry should not be changed.

tingly
November 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Ratio-wise, basketball and football both have around half AQ's and half at-larges. FCS is stronger for having weaker conferences with AQ's, but they didn't go nuts with the idea and limited it to no more than half the field.

GrizDen
November 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Then you should just ignore this thread and move on. And here's a warning.... I'm going to bring it up again next year. xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I've always hated any attempts at trying to compare our playoffs with bball. They are COMPLETELY different beasts. Football is a one per week event with only 11 or 12 regular season games. Bball can go from 64 to 16 in one weekend.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've always hated any attempts at trying to compare our playoffs with bball. They are COMPLETELY different beasts. Football is a one per week event with only 11 or 12 regular season games. Bball can go from 64 to 16 in one weekend.

But the premise is the same. An open tournament to all eligible schools.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
But the premise is the same. An open tournament to all eligible schools.
Great. Let's give them all trophies too. xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Great. Let's give them all trophies too. xcoffeex

Well you asked....

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Well you asked....
But it's not the same. So you're for giving not only the NEC and BigSouth, but also the PFL an auto and the GWFC if they get enough teams.

R.A.
November 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM

It's your right to do so.

Hate on the MEAC all you want.

It's your right to be a hater, hater.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
But it's not the same. So you're for giving not only the NEC and BigSouth, but also the PFL an auto and the GWFC if they get enough teams.

As long as they met the requirements. I do believe the PFL would have a hard time meeting the 7 D1 wins a lot of years though. The NEC and Big South would competitive in the playoffs 70% of the time i believe and the GWFC already shown what they're capable of.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
It's your right to do so.

Hate on the MEAC all you want.

It's your right to be a hater, hater.
All you have to do to shut me up is win a playoff game. Should be easy as everyone here seems to think that continued participation makes conferences and teams stronger. RA, I hate to see any conference do this badly, I really do. There's only two things that can stop that. Win or stop playing.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
As long as they met the requirements. I do believe the PFL would have a hard time meeting the 7 D1 wins a lot of years though. The NEC and Big South would competitive in the playoffs 70% of the time i believe and the GWFC already shown what they're capable of.
There is no 7 DI win requirement for the autos. Montana State did not have 7 in one of their auto years recently. Also, the class of the NEC was 1-3 vs the CAA this year. Are you sure they would be competitive 70% of the time?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
There is no 7 DI win requirement for the autos. Montana State did not have 7 in one of their auto years recently. Also, the class of the NEC was 1-3 vs the CAA this year. Are you sure they would be competitive 70% of the time?

Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have all been competitve with the bigger schools when they've had good teams. So yes the evidence is there to back it up.

R.A.
November 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
All you have to do to shut me up is win a playoff game. Should be easy as everyone here seems to think that continued participation makes conferences and teams stronger.

Yeah, it's really easy to beat the three time defending champion at home...xrolleyesx

RA, I hate to see any conference do this badly, I really do. There's only two things that can stop that. Win or stop playing.

You know, it wasn't that long ago that the A-10 was the horrid conference in I-AA.

What a difference a few decades makes... The A-10 wasn't exactly the I-AA poster child conference when you all received your automatic bid.

Again, I say, worry about yourself, because every year you bring this topic up, will be another year that we still have our automatic bid.

tingly
November 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
The comparison to basketball works. It's the philosophy of giving berths to conference champs that wouldn't have been in the field, otherwise. Doesn't matter if it's football, basketball or lawn bowling.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Albany, CCSU and Monmouth have all been competitve with the bigger schools when they've had good teams. So yes the evidence is there to back it up.
I've had the "competitive" arguement before. How are you defining it?

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You know, it wasn't that long ago that the A-10 was the horrid conference in I-AA.

What a difference a few decades makes... The A-10 wasn't exactly the I-AA poster child conference when you all received your automatic bid
Wow did you just step in a big pile of S. Bring the stats son. xcoffeex xrulesx

mainejeff
November 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
The CAA should get at least 8 bids and the rest can share the other 8.

xcoffeex

Go...gate
November 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
As long as every conference gets an auto-bid in hoops i think they should remain in college football.

Colgate's struggles today, I think show that their style of play is not conducive to playoff success unless they're in Hamilton, NY in a driving snow storm. Colgate's lack of competitiveness in the playoffs excluding '03 bears that out.

We also won a road game in 2003 at FAU in 80 degree weather that year.

Colgate likes to run. Except for the years when Steve Goepel, Steve Calabria, Dave Goodwin and Chris Brown were at Colgate, we have ALWAYS liked to run. A good running game is important when you play many games in bad weather.

JALMOND
November 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
GATA, the OVC and MEAC teams haven't won a playoff game in a decade each. I'm not saying add more CAA and SoCon... you could have had a Liberty this year, or if a UC Davis were having a good year on top of CalPoly.

You didn't say add more CAA or SoCon teams, but you sort of implied it. I like how you kind of threw UC-Davis in there, they really had no business even being mentioned this year. You take away the AQ from the OVC, Patriot and MEAC and who would you replace them with? Elon, W&M and Liberty? One more CAA, one more SoCon and sort of an "honorary" SoCon team? Isn't that like adding more CAA and SoCon teams? How about take away the Southland AQ this year (Texas State) so UMass can get in.

I'd say it is a fair arguement that without the AQ's, at least this year would have turned the playoffs into the CAA/SoCon show.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
We also won a road game in 2003 at FAU in 80 degree weather that year.

Colgate likes to run. Except for the years when Steve Goepel, Steve Calabria, Dave Goodwin and Chris Brown were at Colgate, we have ALWAYS liked to run. A good running game is important when you play many games in bad weather.

One of the problems is the inability for the PL to get home games. I would assume a 9-2 Lehigh team would have a very good chance for a home game because of their history of strong attendance. Lafayette and HC might have a solid chance too. Colgate has almost zero chance unless they're a seed like they were in '03. I think Colgate needs the homefield advantage more so than any team in the league because of their style of play.

aust42
November 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
There is just a big drop off in talent after the CAA, Southern, Gateway (or whatever it's called now) and Big Sky. 20 teams will only add more at large teams from those conferences while the auto's from the weaker conferences get slaughtered in the 1st round.

patssle
November 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
There is just a big drop off in talent after the CAA, Southern, Gateway (or whatever it's called now) and Big Sky. 20 teams will only add more at large teams from those conferences while the auto's from the weaker conferences get slaughtered in the 1st round.

The Southland is 4th in GPI and went 10-5 in OOC. And I'd put up the talent of SHSU vs. anybody in FCS, if somehow we could get a competent coach.

Syntax Error
November 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Not great, but what does that have to do with this? Why try to make it personal? You cannot deny the lack of MEAC wins in the playoffs.If the MEAC rep keeps getting sent to the greatest playoff Conference, the SOCON, every time then why complain that their record is not so hot?

It wasn't personal IMO unless you are the Hens. Simple comparison. Among the last five playoff games for App they beat James Madison, Richmond, Delaware and SCSU. Yet you want to think about taking away the MEAC bid because they lost? xsmhx

Appstate29
November 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM

xcoffeex

CAA and SoCon should share 10 bids, let the other conf have the others

Maroons
November 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
The AQs should stay because they allow the conference champions to play for a national title. Non-conference football at the start of the season does not tell you who the best teams will be at the end. The polls don't tell you who the best teams will be at the end. So we have a playoff in which the conference champions (and other eligbile teams) get to play off. If a team proves to be the best in its conference, they deserve a chance to see where their conference stacks up against the rest of the country. Conference champions need to stay even if it means the 6th place team in the CAA gets left out.

If the title winner can say they are the best team in the country, they need to play in a field that includes the winners of the conferences. You can't leave "the field" up to the polls or the GPI because, as others have said, it will be a CAA invitational. You already know Maine is the fifth best team in the CAA... so what does it prove if JMU beats them again in the playoffs? However, beating the champion of the OVC, the MEAC, etc. leaves no question that the national champ is the best. You cheapen the title to take away AQs. If anything, I would advocate for more AQs and less at-large bids.

UMass922
November 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
If you think 16 is too many, there's a very easy solution for you: tune out the first round.

Same solution applies to when the field goes to 20: think that's too many? Just tune out the play-in games.

GATA
November 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I agree that The OVC and MEAC haven't had much luck in the playoffs in a while but I don't think stripping the autobids is the key. As a matter of fact...I think every conference...(with at least 6 teams) should get an autobid...or otherwise move to a system where NOBODY gets an autobid.

GATA
November 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
The AQs should stay because they allow the conference champions to play for a national title. Non-conference football at the start of the season does not tell you who the best teams will be at the end. The polls don't tell you who the best teams will be at the end. So we have a playoff in which the conference champions (and other eligbile teams) get to play off. If a team proves to be the best in its conference, they deserve a chance to see where their conference stacks up against the rest of the country. Conference champions need to stay even if it means the 6th place team in the CAA gets left out.

If the title winner can say they are the best team in the country, they need to play in a field that includes the winners of the conferences. You can't leave "the field" up to the polls or the GPI because, as others have said, it will be a CAA invitational. You already know Maine is the fifth best team in the CAA... so what does it prove if JMU beats them again in the playoffs? However, beating the champion of the OVC, the MEAC, etc. leaves no question that the national champ is the best. You cheapen the title to take away AQs. If anything, I would advocate for more AQs and less at-large bids.

I agree...taking away autobids turns the FCS into the FBS...a system where basically only 25 teams have a legit shot at a national title. I know the teams from a few conferences don't have much luck getting out of the first round, but you at least like to see the POSSIBILITY of it happening. Colgate did play in the national title game a few years ago.

Jackman
November 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Starting in 2010 they'll be playing the equivalent of play-in games against each other when the top 12 seeds get a first round bye. It's fine. They deserve a shot, particularly in that sort of arrangement.

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM

You didn't say add more CAA or SoCon teams, but you sort of implied it.
xnonox xnonox Not even CLOSE to implying that Jalmond. xsmhx

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
If the MEAC rep keeps getting sent to the greatest playoff Conference, the SOCON, every time then why complain that their record is not so hot?
xconfusedx I'd expect better from you. Only 3 of last 10 vs SoCon.

2008: SCSt vs AppSt
2007: DelSt vs UD
2006: Hampton vs UNH
2005: Hampton vs Richmond
2004: Hampton vs W&M
2003: B-CC vs FAU
2002: B-CC vs GSU
2001: FAMU vs GSU
2000: FAMU vs WKU
1999: NCA&T vs TennSt

Who would you like to send them to? Big South? OVC?

89Hen
November 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
If you think 16 is too many, there's a very easy solution for you: tune out the first round.

Same solution applies to when the field goes to 20: think that's too many? Just tune out the play-in games.
I do. Didn't pay any attention to a couple of the games. xcoffeex

UMass922
November 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I do. Didn't pay any attention to a couple of the games. xcoffeex

Ok, then. So what's the problem? Is there some harm that's done by the MEAC, OVC, and Patriot champs being in the playoffs, aside from your lack of interest in games involving those teams?

Mr. Tiger
November 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I really don't see the problem. The MEAC champions have been competitive except for last year. The OVC had a competitive team in 2006 with Tennessee-Martin. And Colgate went to the championship game in 2003. Most of the time the MEAC, OVC, and Patriot champions are the road underdogs anyway. I saw the South Carolina and Appy game and I was impressed by SCSU. They deserved the bid and Appy won a very competitive and good game. I agree with those who said every conference...(with at least 6 teams) should get an autobid.

matfu
November 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Our Champion almost knocks off the #2 seed, 3 time defending champion, at their own house no less... yet we still don't deserve our bid??

I watched the entire game and actually would have been happy if sc stae had won, BUT i would not say you all "almost knocked" app state off. If there had not been very uncharacteristic turnovers by app state, it would not have been close. i was impressed with sc state and thought it was a very respectable performance...BUT a loss is a loss is a loss. It was the game of a career for your guys while for app state, they probably had a little trouble getting up for a first round foe they certainly knew they could beat. Again, i think sc state played well.

Tim James
November 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The MEAC, OVC, and Patriot champs usually have to play their 1st round games on the road so Im sure thats a huge factor in them preforming poorly. Let them host a few more games and see what happens. Why was UR hosting EKU anyway when EKU has the much better fan support. Doesnt seem fair.

leatherneck177
November 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Good point.

nutterlyattled
November 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM

if the MEAC's bid is not our concern, then the CAA getting in is not anyone elses concern. im not agreeing with this thread, but people need to be less hypocriticle... you all bash on the CAA but can't hand one topic... i think bring it to 20 teams is not a mistake, with so many bye's maybe it will end up as a way to test the auto bids, against the bubble teams. so the quality of the second round on is a lot better.

nutterlyattled
November 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
The MEAC, OVC, and Patriot champs usually have to play their 1st round games on the road so Im sure thats a huge factor in them preforming poorly. Let them host a few more games and see what happens. Why was UR hosting EKU anyway when EKU has the much better fan support. Doesnt seem fair.

Giving someong a home game just to see if they can win is stupid... you get a road game if you deserve it.

or have more money xnonono2x

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Giving someong a home game just to see if they can win is stupid... you get a road game if you deserve it.

or have more money xnonono2x

SC State probably would have hosted a game if Elon didn't choke against Liberty.

DSUrocks07
November 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
All I'll say is that if you have the MEAC stripped of its autobid...that conference would implode on itself as a majority of the teams would move to leave the conference. (FAMU, SCSU, A&T, DSU among others) xnodx

Removing the autobids are not the answer. If a conference should qualify for an autobid as per-NCAA rules, then they'll recieve the autobid. And its not like the MEAC, OVC, Patriot teams have not been competitive in their games. Outside of a few outliers (DSU 2007 :(), a majority of the games have been very competitive. I don't know where you're going with this 89 xconfusedx

Cocky
November 29th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Maine's showing is proof the CAA needs a few more spots.

UMass922
November 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
i think bring it to 20 teams is not a mistake, with so many bye's maybe it will end up as a way to test the auto bids, against the bubble teams. so the quality of the second round on is a lot better.

Agreed. With the weakest auto-bids weeded out in the opening round, the 20-team playoff could give us a stronger, more competitive round-of-16 than we currently have.

Big Al
November 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Competitiveness should have nothing to do with why a conference should get in the playoffs. They should get an auto-bid because they participate in the NCAA and are the equals of every other member institution. They pay their dues (literally), so they deserve a spot at the table.

Big Al
November 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Agreed. With the weakest auto-bids weeded out in the opening round, the 20-team playoff could give us a stronger, more competitive round-of-16 than we currently have.

Excellent point. When you consider that SCSU had to face the 3-time national champs (going for 4) this year, and last year DSU was beaten by the runner up last year, those losses aren't good gauges of their ability.

Perhaps those teams are more middle-of-the-pack and would have survived to round 2 against a lesser foe? Having the play-in games in 2010 will help give a better idea as to how weak the truly weak conferences are.

Imagine if SC State played Maine this year -- perhaps we'd be singing a different tune?

aust42
November 30th, 2008, 12:05 AM
The Southland is 4th in GPI and went 10-5 in OOC. And I'd put up the talent of SHSU vs. anybody in FCS, if somehow we could get a competent coach.

10-5 OOC games? I think your math is way off, the Southland played more OOC games than that. At 1st glance 11 Southland OOC wins were against the likes of SE Oklahoma, Quincy, Southern Virginia, Henderson State, Delta State, TX A&M Commerce, East Central, Angelo State, Langston, KY Wesleyan, Ark Pine Fluff.

Sam Houston St went 4-6, that does not warrant a statement such as "I'd put up the talet of SHSU vs. anyone in the FCS".

DetroitFlyer
November 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Whatever happens, we must keep the PFL out of the playoffs.... It is far better to watch the OVC, MEAC and PL lose in the first round now, EVERY year....xrolleyesx

Frankly, it is amusing to me to see folks want to play almost any angle to exclude teams from the playoffs. Let me make this simple for some of you.... There is not a single NCAA playoff in the land that has all of the best available teams participating. FCS is no different now, and NEVER will be any different. What makes the playoffs interesting, for an NCAA sport, is that a diverse group of teams get in, and every once in a while, an upset happens.

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I think every conference with the requisite number of teams should have an autobid. That way every team (that is in an eligible conference) controls it's own destiny at the beginning of the season.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
SCSU deserved to be in this year and EKU was tied with Richmond at the half. These programs are on a losing streak because they are always on the road and playing the better teams in the playoffs. SCSU and EKU are top 20 teams this year no doubt.

I don't want the NCAA taking away the autobid from the mid majors in basketball, baseball, etc. because they have a losing streak in the playoffs.

If anything we should be talking about why the 6th best team from a conference was able to make the playoffs and then get crushed.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Whatever happens, we must keep the PFL out of the playoffs.... It is far better to watch the OVC, MEAC and PL lose in the first round now, EVERY year....xrolleyesx

Frankly, it is amusing to me to see folks want to play almost any angle to exclude teams from the playoffs. Let me make this simple for some of you.... There is not a single NCAA playoff in the land that has all of the best available teams participating. FCS is no different now, and NEVER will be any different. What makes the playoffs interesting, for an NCAA sport, is that a diverse group of teams get in, and every once in a while, an upset happens.

I think the PFL should get an autobid to the DIII playoffs, where they belong.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM
The MEAC, OVC, and Patriot champs usually have to play their 1st round games on the road so Im sure thats a huge factor in them preforming poorly. Let them host a few more games and see what happens.
Sure, let them. Don't have them earn it through wins or attendance. xcoffeex

LeopardFan04
November 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I think every conference with the requisite number of teams should have an autobid. That way every team (that is in an eligible conference) controls it's own destiny at the beginning of the season.

Agreed.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
xconfusedx I'd expect better from you. Only 3 of last 10 vs SoCon.

2008: SCSt vs AppSt
2007: DelSt vs UD
2006: Hampton vs UNH
2005: Hampton vs Richmond
2004: Hampton vs W&M
2003: B-CC vs FAU
2002: B-CC vs GSU
2001: FAMU vs GSU
2000: FAMU vs WKU
1999: NCA&T vs TennSt

Who would you like to send them to? Big South? OVC?

a majority of the games have been very competitive. I don't know where you're going with this 89 xconfusedx

Imagine if SC State played Maine this year -- perhaps we'd be singing a different tune?
If we were talking about the MEAC losing 2, 3 even 5 in a row that may be one thing. When it gets to double digits, it's hard to ignore. The fact that they've lost to SoCon, CAA, Gateway, Indies... who would you like them to play Big Al? We should cherry pick and have the MEAC play the last team to get an at large? Maybe the OVC could have the next to last team in and the Patriot the next. So we could have 13 vs 16, 14 vs 15.... seems like the way a playoff should be. xrolleyesx

Remember, I'm not making a case for Maine or any other CAA team. It was obvious that Maine was the last at-large. I'm just telling you that autos for conferences who lose more than 10 in a row is very questionable IMO, ESPECIALLY in a year when the decision was made to add MORE autos in the future.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM
These programs are on a losing streak because they are always on the road and playing the better teams in the playoffs.
Since the CAA starting having playoff success, they've had to do some of it on the road...

2008 UNH @ SIU
2007 Delaware @ UNI, Delaware @ SIU, Richmond @ Wofford
2006 UNH @ Hampton, UMass @ Montana
2005 Richmond @ Hampton
2004 JMU @ Lehigh, JMU @ Furman, JMU @ W&M, UNH @ GSU
2002 Maine @ AppSt
2001 Maine @ McNeese
1999 UMass @ Furman
1998 UMass @ McNeese, UMass @ Northwestern State

I'm sure other conferences can post the same.

Go Cats
November 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think we should get rid of the at large bids not the AQ. let conference play decide who makes the playoffs, not opinions.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Competitiveness should have nothing to do with why a conference should get in the playoffs. They should get an auto-bid because they participate in the NCAA and are the equals of every other member institution. They pay their dues (literally), so they deserve a spot at the table.

Say what? Don't waste our time with such drivel.

IF the point is to crown a National Champion, and only 16 teams make the playoffs, then by definition, competitiveness MUST have something to do with it. Teams should know that 8 conferences champions get an AQ, the others are subject to the whims of the playoff committee. The playoff committee IS predictable to some degree; they favor the GPI, for instance. If your conference has no AQ, then figure out how to get a high GPI rating. One way to do that is with a high SOS. The whiner/complainers on AGS generally are coming from schools with a low SOS. You'll get no sympathy here.

If your conference does not have an AQ now, it is because it does not qualify under the rules. Your remedy is to qualify and get an AQ. Simple. Otherwise, quit yer whining.

Rob Iola
November 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'd be for that scheme...

Tubby Raymond
November 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Almost, the score was bad enough but the way the game was played your team was out of it's class for quite a while before the 4th q.

What does last years NC have to do with the point?

blur2005
November 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
You can't take away the auto-bids. Sure, the MEAC, PL, and OVC are not very strong year-in and year-out in playoff action but it's tough for the playoffs to represent the FCS when you eliminate the only way for a good chunk of teams to get in. I was against playoff expansion, and still am because I think the field of 16 is sufficient but I don't want to take away auto-bids.

Also, the only way there should have been expansion of the playoffs was if the Ivy and SWAC had come along as well to join in the fun.

bigchocolate
November 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
If we were talking about the MEAC losing 2, 3 even 5 in a row that may be one thing. When it gets to double digits, it's hard to ignore. The fact that they've lost to SoCon, CAA, Gateway, Indies... who would you like them to play Big Al? We should cherry pick and have the MEAC play the last team to get an at large? Maybe the OVC could have the next to last team in and the Patriot the next. So we could have 13 vs 16, 14 vs 15.... seems like the way a playoff should be. xrolleyesx

Remember, I'm not making a case for Maine or any other CAA team. It was obvious that Maine was the last at-large. I'm just telling you that autos for conferences who lose more than 10 in a row is very questionable IMO, ESPECIALLY in a year when the decision was made to add MORE autos in the future.

Alot of what you say, history supports...but the problem with the matchups is that there are very rare exceptions when a representative from the MEAC conference is allowed in the top 20 so they will draw one of the top 4 teams in the country. Take SC State for instance, they've been in the top 25 for about 2 to 3 weeks. This team didn't just become a good football team! No offense but the Citadel, UD to name a few were in the polls for nearly 7 to 8 weeks and its was not based on their on the field play.... This system is far from perfect but it is the best available. The MEAC had 3 of the worst teams in FCS football this year but what does that have to do with the top 1 or 2 getting in the polls and moving up ???? Until there is a better instrument for measuring team strength then it will continue to be all biased opinions which will continue to place the MEAC representative on the road against a top 4 team. Please do not drag that old horse (the Hampton Seed) out of the barn. I hope we will continue to improve and defeat a top seed sooner than later.

UAalum72
November 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Also, the only way there should have been expansion of the playoffs was if the Ivy and SWAC had come along as well to join in the fun.
Why? By most rankings (Sagarin, GPI, Massey, Realtime RPI) the NEC is rated AHEAD of the SWAC, and sometimes the Pioneer League is, too. They're not at the head of the line for autobids even if they made their champ available for the playoffs.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Alot of what you say, history supports...but the problem with the matchups is that there are very rare exceptions when a representative from the MEAC conference is allowed in the top 20 so they will draw one of the top 4 teams in the country. Take SC State for instance, they've been in the top 25 for about 2 to 3 weeks. This team didn't just become a good football team! No offense but the Citadel, UD to name a few were in the polls for nearly 7 to 8 weeks and its was not based on their on the field play.... This system is far from perfect but it is the best available. The MEAC had 3 of the worst teams in FCS football this year but what does that have to do with the top 1 or 2 getting in the polls and moving up ???? Until there is a better instrument for measuring team strength then it will continue to be all biased opinions which will continue to place the MEAC representative on the road against a top 4 team. Please do not drag that old horse (the Hampton Seed) out of the barn. I hope we will continue to improve and defeat a top seed sooner than later.

Citadel & Delaware in the polls not due to their play on the field? What then do you suppose put them in the polls? Some giant Ouiji board? Gimme a break! The polls merely reflect the poll's voters expectations at that moment in time.

SCSU was the real deal. I thought the team played well in Boone, had good athletes on both sides of the ball, were well coached (except for the TO debacle), and had great fans. In order for them to move up in said polls, as well as for actual improvement on the gridiron, SCSU has two possible solutions (IMO). 1) change conferences - based on my own personal observations from one game, SCSU would be a good fit in the SoCon. The MEAC is so weak, I am not sure it is helpful to stay there; but if that won't work, then: 2) SCSU should schedule tougher OOC opponents. Clemson & UCF were a bit much, BUT if they could schedule some SoCon teams (like Presbyterian did), that might work; and the Big South teams would probably be interested as well.

I was not going to drag Hampton back out, but since you did, my above advice works equally well for them. How did they get a seed back in '05 anyway?

Go...gate
November 30th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Amen. Jeepers, the buzzards who have been trying to take away the PL bid almost since it was given to us (at sufferance) in 1997, are resurfacing again.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
This thread is ridiculous. Everyone in 1-AA is a mid-major in most all sports. So now we're saying some conferences aren't 'Mid-major' enough?

Having teams from all over the country playing in the tournement is what makes it great!

I would argue that Maine's result at UNI yesterday proves we don't need more mid-pack teams from the power conferences!

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Leave it alone. Making the playoffs is a goal for the schools in conferences that have not won a national title recently. There are power shifts from time to time. The OVC hasn't won one lately, but EKU has two back in the day. Playoffs went on for 20 years before any of the current CAA teams won a title. Why use just the last 10 years as a criterion?

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'd be up for the 16 best teams playing. However, I would not like to allow one conference to dominate the playoffs. For example, I'd rather see a bad MEAC team in rather than a CAA love fest.

Also, worth noting that Colgate got pummeled at their house by Furman who finished 7-5 in the SoCon, yet the SoCon gets two bids.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
You guys crack me up. Why dont we simply apply this logic to the NCAA B-Ball tourney as well? That would mean that 90% of FCS football schools will never male the B-Ball tourney.

DSUrocks07
November 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM

xconfusedx still not getting it...

what exactly are you proposing? that these conferences not have an autobid at all? that we get rid of the autobids altogether? if I have to choose I would go for the latter. That would be the only fair way to do this. And FTR SC State would still be worthy of an at-large in that case. xnodx

catdaddy2402
November 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Without wading through 10 pages of this thread, I agree.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I would argue that Maine's result at UNI yesterday proves we don't need more mid-pack teams from the power conferences!
And I'd argue the OVC and MEAC being a combined 0-20 in the last ten years proves we don't need more low-level autos.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
xconfusedx still not getting it...

what exactly are you proposing?
Honestly? Nothing. :( The NCAA will not take away their bids and they've already extended two more. The watering down of the playoffs isn't done either. 20 will not be the number long, trust me.

jmufan999
November 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM

i would be ok with that. not just as a JMU guy.

i want to see the best teams. the best teams come from the CAA, SoCon, and sometimes 1 from the BSC or MVFC. if these schools can't bring it in the playoffs, they are wasting space. they can kill this argument by actually becoming competitive.

that said, i tivo'd the ASU-SCSU game, and so far, SCSU looks pretty dang impressive. i think i've gotten through about 1.5 quarters. i can't comment on the rest of the game until i've seen it.

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Honestly? Nothing. :( The NCAA will not take away their bids and they've already extended two more. The watering down of the playoffs isn't done either. 20 will not be the number long, trust me.

I agree with you there. Since they have added a fifth week to the playoffs, there is nothing stopping them from expanding the playoffs to as many as 32 teams. My guess is that the playoffs will expand to 24 teams in the not too distant future.

blur2005
November 30th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Why? By most rankings (Sagarin, GPI, Massey, Realtime RPI) the NEC is rated AHEAD of the SWAC, and sometimes the Pioneer League is, too. They're not at the head of the line for autobids even if they made their champ available for the playoffs.
The SWAC and Ivy are on a different level in terms of their histories among the FCS conferences. I think it'd be nice to have an auto-bid from each conference. Of course, that doesn't mean there would be any more teams than just two between the old hands because you are right, neither conference is really that strong.

My guess is that the playoffs will expand to 24 teams in the not too distant future.

Definitely going to happen. Of course, that means the CAA will get six teams in...if not seven. xrotatehx

AAadict
November 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
My guess is that the playoffs will expand to 24 teams in the not too distant future.[/QUOTE]

Why? Who got left out that deserved to play?

UMass922
November 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM

And the result of that "watering down of the playoffs" (be it 20, 24, or even 32 teams) will actually be a stronger, more competitive round-of-16 than we currently have, since the weakest auto-bid teams will no longer be getting a free pass into that round. What do you think is going to happen in the preliminary round when the field expands to 20? Teams like William & Mary are going to defeat teams like Colgate, and the result will be fewer mismatches in the round-of-16.

Since, as you recognize, auto-bids aren't going anywhere, playoff expansion (so long as additional auto-bids are always accompanied by at least an equal number of at-large bids) is actually the best way to give us a less watered-down 16-team field--it will just take a preliminary round of games to get there. (A round of games which, as always, you will be free to tune out.)

AAadict
November 30th, 2008, 11:41 PM
How many weeks are these guys going to play football? How much do we expect from student athletes? No wonder the Ivy League bans football playoffs. If the theory of expanding the playoffs holds true I'm guessing there may be more academic conferences avoid the playoffs. These guys are working toward degrees and a career...not pleasing the masses for more weeks of football....sorry, but true.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM
How many weeks are these guys going to play football? How much do we expect from student athletes? No wonder the Ivy League bans football playoffs. If the theory of expanding the playoffs holds true I'm guessing there may be more academic conferences avoid the playoffs. These guys are working toward degrees and a career...not pleasing the masses for more weeks of football....sorry, but true.

The Ivy League not participating in the playoffs in football isn't about academics, imo. It's about money. Why do they participate in the championship basketball tournaments?

tingly
December 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Most football teams miss class on a few Fridays and that's about it. Baseball and basketball miss far more and do fine.

D1B
December 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM

Uhhh, Hen is right. MEAC and OVC are division II conferences. Higher quality and thus more deserving teams miss out as a result.

This is supposed to be the best 16 teams, but seeing as the NCAA wants to mimic the Final Four format, perhaps a play in game between the OVC and MEAC champs would be a good thing. We'll call it the "Marshmallow Bowl".xlolx xlolx

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM

We did the same thing in 2005...

danefan
December 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM
Putting the best 16 teams in the playoffs has NEVER been the NCAA mandate. Ever. The best teams do not make the playoffs in any sport the NCAA recognizes.

The FCS playoffs were intended to award qualifying and willing conferences an AQ and pick the remaining BEST 8 teams available. This will be fulfilled in 2010 with the addition of the NEC and Big South AQs. Then the committee will be charged with putting the BEST remaining 10 teams in the playoffs.

And yes, you will essentially see play-in games with the OVC, MEAC, NEC, Big South, Patriot and the SLC (in some years). The first round of 16 will be stronger than it has been in the past.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
While I think the MEAC, PL and OVC should maintain their autobids, I don't want to hear about the argument that they can't win because they're on the road. The better team usually wins, regardless of location. UNH has been Georgia Southern (2004), Hampton (2006) and SIU (2008) on the road in the last five seasons. All three games were close, and GA. Southern was a seed.

With that said, though, I'm almost certain SC State would've been ahead of Maine, William and Mary, Colgate, Elon and Liberty in terms of at-large potential. I don't think Colgate or Eastern Kentucky would be, but there have been worse teams to get at-large bids (Texas State, for example, this season, in a terrible SLC). SC State and EKU gave competitive efforts, too, while Colgate was thrashed in a really bad matchup for them.

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM
a stronger, more competitive round-of-16 than we currently have, since the weakest auto-bid teams will no longer be getting a free pass into that round. What do you think is going to happen in the preliminary round when the field expands to 20? Teams like William & Mary are going to defeat teams like Colgate, and the result will be fewer mismatches in the round-of-16.

And yes, you will essentially see play-in games with the OVC, MEAC, NEC, Big South, Patriot and the SLC (in some years). The first round of 16 will be stronger than it has been in the past.
I think you guys are in for a surprise. Do you really think the NCAA is going to push any of the autos into the first round? If they do and you think the complaining about the 16th team selected, or the MEAC always having to travel (which isn't even true), or the PFL being snubbed is bad now, wait until they put an auto bid team in the first round. It's a no win either way. xrulesx

UNHFan
December 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
You need to have autobids in any playoff system, it makes the regular conference season more important and helps build rivalries.

Bingo!!

danefan
December 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think you guys are in for a surprise. Do you really think the NCAA is going to push any of the autos into the first round? If they do and you think the complaining about the 16th team selected, or the MEAC always having to travel (which isn't even true), or the PFL being snubbed is bad now, wait until they put an auto bid team in the first round. It's a no win either way. xrulesx

They will definitely put the AQ's in the first round. How else would they do it? They'll have to put the bottom 8 teams in the first round, which will most definitely include at least 5 AQ teams and more likely 6.

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
They will definitely put the AQ's in the first round. How else would they do it? They'll have to put the bottom 8 teams in the first round, which will most definitely include at least 5 AQ teams and more likely 6.
We shall see. Like I said, if they put the autos from the MEAC, OVC, NEC... in the first round, the complaining will make the current complaining look miniscule. You really think if the CAA were to place 6 teams in the field and had 4 with byes there isn't going to be a LOT bitching? xeyebrowx

Rekdiver
December 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Well the MEAC may not have won any games BUt I can tell you that SC State was as worthy as any opponent we faced AND more of their fans traveled to Boone too!

Their speed was on par with ASU, the did dare us to pass and effectively stopped our running game.

The game was much closer than the score. The grind of playing 42 games in three seasons for many of the ASU kids is starting to show.

danefan
December 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
We shall see. Like I said, if they put the autos from the MEAC, OVC, NEC... in the first round, the complaining will make the current complaining look miniscule. You really think if the CAA were to place 6 teams in the field and had 4 with byes there isn't going to be a LOT bitching? xeyebrowx

I wouldn't bitch. I fully expect the NEC team to be playing the Patriot League winner (or last CAA team in) on thanksgiving weekend. And I also expect to see at least 3 CAA teams getting first round byes. This year it would have likely been 4 (JMU, Richmond, Nova and UNH).

The bitching will happen no matter what, but I don't see it really stopping the committee from doing that.

danefan
December 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
And I agree with some posters in this thread that SC State represented the MEAC well this year. I had them pegged for a first round upset.....before they got sent to App State that is. Having seen SC State play during the season on ESPNU, I knew there were a good team.

Ronin
December 1st, 2008, 11:12 AM

Agreed, autobids are necessary. Besides some people enjoy watching the Cinderella team.

I just wish they would change the final from dismal Chatty. With all the sunshine they have just a little further south or the number of domed stadiums we could be playing in.

AZGrizFan
December 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

xcoffeex

They're workin' on it, mj. They're workin' on it.... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

MoBear
December 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
WOW I cant beleive I read this entire thread. By getting rid of AQs these teams will not get into the the playoffs. They will have there own championships and there will no clear cut FCS chanmpion because the playoffs will only be CAA and SoCon teams. Sounds like the FBS to me. Or the MEAC, OVC and PL will make there own playoffs. Then you will have 2 FCS champions. Still sounds like the FBS. And lets face it when it comes to attendence the MEAC and OVC pack stadiums. Look so what a conference lost in the playoffs. Big deal is it really that serious. NO getting rid of AQ's hurts the FCS and in the long run will hurt the CAA alot more then it would the MEAC and OVC.

UMass922
December 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I think you guys are in for a surprise. Do you really think the NCAA is going to push any of the autos into the first round?

Well, the NCAA has no qualms about putting auto-bids from conferences like the MEAC and NEC into the play-in game of the basketball tourney; I don't see why the approach would be any different here (though I'm sure you're going to say that basketball is a completely different beast). But I guess we'll have to wait and see. If your fears come to pass, then yes, that's a problem--but to echo what someone else said early in the thread, that's more a seeding problem than an auto-bid problem, per se. And even if the weakest auto-bids do get a free pass into the second round, it's still better that at least more of the top 16 overall teams (which is what so many people, myself included, seem to want) will be in the field--even if it takes a 20- or 24-team field to accomplish that.

FCS Go!
December 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Agreed, autobids are necessary. Besides some people enjoy watching the Cinderella team.

I just wish they would change the final from dismal Chatty. With all the sunshine they have just a little further south or the number of domed stadiums we could be playing in.

Wuss. :D

JazzyBulldog05
December 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
No need to eliminate AQ's. I understand that some league champs are not as "strong" as some teams in the CAA or SoCon, but what happens 6 years from now when the OVC is what the CAA is today? (Not saying that's gonna happen, but my point being that the conferences that are "dominant" now, may not be so dominant later on).

19Duke97
December 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Colgate went to the 2003 finals, let them keep their autos, when they win, it's exciting! It's also good for FCS, it rarely keeps teams out of the playoffs that truly deserves being in it.

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Well, the NCAA has no qualms about putting auto-bids from conferences like the MEAC and NEC into the play-in game of the basketball tourney; I don't see why the approach would be any different here (though I'm sure you're going to say that basketball is a completely different beast).
Yup, I am going to say that and it's just as valid the 100th time I say it IMO. We really won't know if I'm right for probably 3-4 more years.

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
what happens 6 years from now when the OVC is what the CAA is today? (Not saying that's gonna happen, but my point being that the conferences that are "dominant" now, may not be so dominant later on).
I know you're not saying that is going to happen, but that's a pretty far out prediction unless something changes the I-AA landscape (ie, JMU, UD, UMass, etc... move to I-A). Conferences like the NEC, Great West, Big South have improved as conferences because they got new teams and in the case of the NEC added schollies. A conference like the OVC has been on the same playing field for a long time. If they haven't improved by now, what will the change be to make them more competitive in the future?

MaroonDoom
December 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
The OVC will have a bid as long as we live. I see EKU getting some major transfers next year to help & UTM will be strong. OVC will be back.

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't bitch. I fully expect the NEC team to be playing the Patriot League winner (or last CAA team in) on Thanksgiving weekend. And I also expect to see at least 3 CAA teams getting first round byes. This year it would have likely been 4 (JMU, Richmond, Nova and UNH).

The bitching will happen no matter what, but I don't see it really stopping the committee from doing that.

I agree with you; problem is, the PL leadership seems happy with this and it enables them to keep the status quo as to scholarships. etc.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
This may have been mentioned earlier - the problem that faces the Patriot and MEAC teams is not that they don't belong, it is that they always will get matched up with the top teams in the CAA or SoCon in round 1 - Until all teams are seeded, this trend will most likely continue - South Carolina State had a really good team and believe me, if they played in the SoCon they would have been right in the mix - They absolutely deserved to be in the playoffs!!!!

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
This may have been mentioned earlier - the problem that faces the Patriot and MEAC teams is not that they don't belong, it is that they always will get matched up with the top teams in the CAA or SoCon in round 1 - Until all teams are seeded, this trend will most likely continue
Then let me ask you... who should they play? The second Big Sky team to get in has been saddled with travelling to the #1 seed on more than one occassion and has beaten them on more than one occassion. The CAA has had to go on the road and they have also had to play top 5 teams in the first round too and won quite a few of these games. 10 years of excuses. xcoffeex

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Then let me ask you... who should they play? The second Big Sky team to get in has been saddled with travelling to the #1 seed on more than one occassion and has beaten them on more than one occassion. The CAA has had to go on the road and they have also had to play top 5 teams in the first round too and won quite a few of these games. 10 years of excuses. xcoffeex

10 years of excuses from the PL? Not so, 89.

Hansel
December 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM
10 years of excuses from the PL? Not so, 89.

You are rest the PL has only lost 5 consecutive first round games

DSUrocks07
December 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM

xcoffeex

The problem is that the lower tier conferences are in the same general area as the top-tier conferences. This is why, even with regionalization, that those teams seem to fall more easily than the rest. Travel is not the issue, its the teams that we're matched up with based on how close we are to those schools. (Take EKU for example, they win the OVC and depending on how the season turns out they would face either an ASU, UNI, SIU, McNeese, Richmond in the first round...how many of those games are they supposed to win.) Should this even come as a surprise to anyone here? xconfusedx We are the lower-tier schools for a reason. Once in a while we may pull of the occasional upset but its the times that we live in and the fact that our relative locations to those "top-tier" schools that were competing against (money, commitment to the athletic program, fanbase, recruiting, the list goes on...) The autobids to playoffs gives our conferences the exposure necessary to at least show some measure of a level-playing field. You take that away and simply put...we're no better than the BCS system. xnodx

DSUrocks07
December 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
WOW I cant beleive I read this entire thread. By getting rid of AQs these teams will not get into the the playoffs. They will have there own championships and there will no clear cut FCS chanmpion because the playoffs will only be CAA and SoCon teams. Sounds like the FBS to me. Or the MEAC, OVC and PL will make there own playoffs. Then you will have 2 FCS champions. Still sounds like the FBS. And lets face it when it comes to attendence the MEAC and OVC pack stadiums. Look so what a conference lost in the playoffs. Big deal is it really that serious. NO getting rid of AQ's hurts the FCS and in the long run will hurt the CAA alot more then it would the MEAC and OVC.

Exactly...the premise of this thread smells of a power grab by the major FCS schools...and would definitely have the looks of it as well...next there will be talk of kicking out the bottom feeders in the SoCon and CAA...xrolleyesx

89Hen
December 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Travel is not the issue, its the teams that we're matched up with based on how close we are to those schools. (Take EKU for example, they win the OVC and depending on how the season turns out they would face either an ASU, UNI, SIU, McNeese, Richmond in the first round...how many of those games are they supposed to win.)

We are the lower-tier schools for a reason.

The autobids to playoffs gives our conferences the exposure necessary to at least show some measure of a level-playing field. You take that away and simply put...we're no better than the BCS system. xnodx
You don't think a top recuit will look at the playoff record of the MEAC or OVC, not just the fact that they are in the playoffs? If anything, I think the playoffs may expose the weaker conferences as weaker conferences. Right now the SWAC and Ivy can pretend to be at the same level by avoiding the playoffs and scheduling many games against the top conferences. xeyebrowx (that's going to get some comments)

89Hen
December 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Exactly...the premise of this thread smells of a power grab by the major FCS schools...and would definitely have the looks of it as well...next there will be talk of kicking out the bottom feeders in the SoCon and CAA...xrolleyesx
Baloney. It's actually almost the opposite. I said several times this isn't about getting more of our teams in... it's really about my desire to have the NCAA see the light and go back to 16 before it's too late. We will be 20 for a year or two and then 24. MORE CAA, SoCon, MVC, BSC... teams will make the playoffs with a 24 team field. I DON'T WANT MORE CAA TEAMS IN THE FIELD. I don't want more of anyone. I think the Committee needed to find a way to award 8 autos based on conference performance, not just expand it to 10. There aren't 10 conferences that deserve autos IMO. xpeacex

The biggest complaint from I-A fans against a playoff system is that they think it will render the regular season meaningless. As I-AA fans, we know that's not true. HOWEVER, with 20-24 and maybe eventually 32 teams in the field, I think it WILL. Imagine 7-4 teams who placed 6th in their conference in the playoffs.

Cocky
December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I think the Autos should get the home games to level the field. Then we can look at performance on a more equal basis.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2008, 12:36 PM

I wouldn't bitch. I fully expect the NEC team to be playing the Patriot League winner (or last CAA team in) on thanksgiving weekend. And I also expect to see at least 3 CAA teams getting first round byes. This year it would have likely been 4 (JMU, Richmond, Nova and UNH).

I think the Autos should get the home games to level the field. Then we can look at performance on a more equal basis.
Not saying Cocky is "bitching" but I think that somewhat supports my position that making the autos play in the first round will be met with a lot of objection.