PDA

View Full Version : The CAA Today: Playoff Selection Talk and CAA Round One Preview

CSN-info
November 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Bruce Dowd, CSN columnist
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CAATODAY.JPG
First of all, if you haven’t already read Chuck Burton’s superb article titled “The CSN Way: Woof, Woof, Woof”, then you need to read that first. I don’t think there is a single thing in there that I disagree with. He did a great job of laying out all the inequities of this year’s pairings and there were quite a few.

Due to the fact that I have been harping on the rankings all year and did a pre-selection interview with the Chair of the Selection Committee, John McCutcheon, I feel it necessary to address my concerns over the committee’s selections as well, especially considering that the Colonial Athletic Association is again right in the heart of the controversy.Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-playoff-selection-talk-and&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Picks JMU, UR and VU to win

UNH is a tossup

Maine is doubtful

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
"I'm not making sense here." - John McCutcheon

Amen, John, Amen!xeyebrowx

Skjellyfetti
November 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I had a chance to speak with coach Ayers of Wofford this week and asked him the McGee question. I was a little surprised by his answer. He said that they would try to kick it deep, wind and conditions permitting and try to keep it away from him the best they could. But if McGee burns them then Scotty probably won’t see the ball again. Well it isn’t a question of if, but rather when so it looks like McGee might get at least seven for JMU in this one.

xnonono2x xoopsx

Wofford's kick coverage isn't great anyway... why kick to Scotty f'n McGee??

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Notice that McCutcheon would not reveal the three teams under final consideration for the 16th spot. Lack of transparency does nothing to assuage concerns about this process.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
xnonono2x xoopsx

I don't think we'll kick to him, if we do it on kickoffs we're screwed (and Ayers knows it he just won't say it)and I doubt Ayers will punt it that much.

GoBlackBears
November 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Notice that McCutcheon would not reveal the three teams under final consideration for the 16th spot. Lack of transparency does nothing to assuage concerns about this process.

It's refreshing to see that the William and Mary fans have moved on.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

You know the old saying opinions are like....xeekx The sports media have nothing better to do with their time, and bitter W&M fans need to get a life. This is now becoming very silly.xasswhipx

alexale23
November 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
True it just seems stupid to debate the 16th team after it has been named. Who cares they not going to win anything any way. We have a playoff and be very happy with that.

R3TRO
November 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
True it just seems stupid to debate the 16th team after it has been named. Who cares they not going to win anything any way. We have a playoff and be very happy with that.

I agree? Kind of?

With the first and last part but there's a gray area in the middle, perhaps "less likely to win"..

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2008, 08:09 PM
It's refreshing to see that the William and Mary fans have moved on.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

You know the old saying opinions are like....xeekx The sports media have nothing better to do with their time, and bitter W&M fans need to get a life. This is now becoming very silly.xasswhipx

If you don't want to discuss the selection process, then don't. You have a team to cheer for this week, so stick to that. If you want to whip some a**, try Northern Iowa.xpeacex

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
If you don't want to discuss the selection process, then don't. You have a team to cheer for this week, so stick to that. If you want to whip some a**, try Northern Iowa.xpeacex

Ignore this post, ignore Northern Iowa. We're overlooking you and you'll upset us. xpeacex

spdram
November 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I don't think we'll kick to him, if we do it on kickoffs we're screwed (and Ayers knows it he just won't say it)and I doubt Ayers will punt it that much.

I'm confused, I thought Ayers was the Coach, you mean he punts also?xsmiley_wix

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Picks JMU, UR and VU to win

UNH is a tossup

Maine is doubtful
His upset meter says no clear favorite, but he picks UNH

I also don’t think that Southern Illinois has seen anything like the New Hampshire offense and with just one holiday week to prepare they could be at a big disadvantage. I like this match-up for New Hampshire and if the Wildcats can keep the mistakes down, both turnovers and penalties, I think they come out on top in this one. I feel the CAA is a stronger conference and I feel that UNH is a better team, so despite being on the road, New Hampshire should come away with a playoff road victory.

The Upset Meter Rating here is; [ Does not apply, no real clear favorite here ]

CJHawkeyes
November 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Regardless of the odds the 16th team has for winning it all, the opportunity should not awarded by means that are no more valid than a coin flip.

JMU Newbill
November 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM
All i have to say is..... please Wofford... kick to Scotty McGee.... I dare you

jmufan999
November 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
All i have to say is..... please Wofford... kick to Scotty McGee.... I dare you

i hope so too. my parents are coming to the game with me on saturday, and i've been talking all year about this kid that has BLAZING speed and excellent vision (meaning, when to cut, etc.). then i told them they might not ever see him since teams are kicking away from him now.

that may change. either way we win that battle. kick away, we end up with excellent field position. kick to him, well....

you CAN kick to him, but your tackling better be rock solid and you'd better maintain your lanes, otherwise, you will see what this kid can do. he's a heck of a talent.

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM
i hope so too. my parents are coming to the game with me on saturday, and i've been talking all year about this kid that has BLAZING speed and excellent vision (meaning, when to cut, etc.). then i told them they might not ever see him since teams are kicking away from him now.

that may change. either way we win that battle. kick away, we end up with excellent field position. kick to him, well....

you CAN kick to him, but your tackling better be rock solid and you'd better maintain your lanes, otherwise, you will see what this kid can do. he's a heck of a talent.

Will be interested to see if Wofford uses the rugby kick approach that the Tribe used against JMU. Averaged 40 yards per punt with no return yards. It was the only thing we did well in that game.

appfan2008
November 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM
good article... thank God we arent fbs but like he said this could be a lot better...

LacesOut
November 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
good article... thank God we arent fbs but like he said this could be a lot better...

Yep. He sure did point out quite a few flaws with the system of the I-AA playoffs. But at least there is a tournament, no matter how screwy it can be sometimes.

OL FU
November 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Very nice read and thanks. Very informative.

Question about the geographic matchups. After all the other rules apply, is it simply the two teams that are the closest to each other? In other words. If school A and B are the two closest schools to JMU and school A is 10 miles closer to JMU than school B, then they go to JMU with out additional consideration. Is that correct?

JMUNJ08
November 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sadly, that is exactly how the rules say it should be because teams 5-16 are all equal in the eyes of the committee.

I really liked the idea of having a say in the changes that are necessary for 2010. AGS should get on top of this and make a list to send to CSN!

OL FU
November 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sadly, that is exactly how the rules say it should be because teams 5-16 are all equal in the eyes of the committee.

I really liked the idea of having a say in the changes that are necessary for 2010. AGS should get on top of this and make a list to send to CSN!

I'll go first, no more than 1/3 of any conference can participate in the playoffs during a single yearxlolx xsmiley_wix