PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross QB Applies for Extra Year

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Dominic Randolph pulled out of the East Coast Bowl and informed them he is trying to get an extra year and did not want to jeopardize that. Anyone else heard that?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM
This is all the HC fans have been talking about since they lost to Colgate. I had no idea this was even a possibly til i heard about it on Saturday. I guess this is legitimate. I wonder what the chances are he gets it? Based on the Cross board his case seems pretty shakey.

ngineer
November 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
IF Randolph can get an extra based on medical, I would think McGowan would, too. He missed virtually the entire Junior year, though he dressed for a majority of the games, he couldn't play. I was not aware that Randolph met the criteria.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
What complicates this further is that there are no graduate programs at HC from which to make a fifth year easier.

How often does this happen in the PL, anyway? I don't know of any Georgetown players that have taken a fifth year since the MAAC days, plus the cost of attending another year doesn't exactly make it a strong proposition, either.

CSUBUCDAD
November 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
As long as the injury happened before the end of the 4th game of the year he is applying for a medical red shirt, he should have no problem. If it happened any later, by rule, he is not eligible for another year. There have been some cases where they waived the rule because the injury happened in the first quarter of the 5th game, but not many at all.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
My understanding is that everything is "on track" for him to apply for a fifth year - I heard this some weeks ago. I think he is almost certain to get a 5th year.

As for McGowan, his redshirt year I beleive was used up when he transferred from Richmond. While he was injured in 2007, medical redshirts for a sixth year are extgremely rare, but they do happen. I am pretty sure he doesn't have options for a sixth year (since he played often enough in 2007, I think), but I will double-check.

Of course, something to keep in mind too is one of financial aid. The family may need to pay to have their kid play another year in college, which may not be financially viable. I know of one other Lehigh player where this was the case - he had another year but didn't due to financial reasons.

ColgateTD
November 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Regarding Randolph: Groan.....xnonox

UD97HENS
November 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
If it applies to the medical redshirt rule....go Dom!!!

colgate13
November 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Regarding financial aid, what he will do is take the spring semester off and his senior spring will become his fall. He won't (or at least I think so) be enrolled in the spring - so he can't play spring ball. He will 'graduate' next fall and probably walk in the following spring. Unless of course HC wants to make a probable exception to their normal financial aid rules. Tough sell in current economic times!

6th years are possible. Remember DeWayne Long from Colgate anyone? Nebraska transfer that also got a medical 6th year.

Colgate over the years has had more than a few kids do the skip spring for fall 5th year eligibility stuff. It all has to be medical though based on the PL rules.

bison137
November 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
As long as the injury happened before the end of the 4th game of the year he is applying for a medical red shirt, he should have no problem.

The second part is that there must be contemporaneous medical evidence that his injury was season-ending and that he was medically unable to practice or play for all of November.

colorless raider
November 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Regarding financial aid, what he will do is take the spring semester off and his senior spring will become his fall. He won't (or at least I think so) be enrolled in the spring - so he can't play spring ball. He will 'graduate' next fall and probably walk in the following spring. Unless of course HC wants to make a probable exception to their normal financial aid rules. Tough sell in current economic times!

6th years are possible. Remember DeWayne Long from Colgate anyone? Nebraska transfer that also got a medical 6th year.

Colgate over the years has had more than a few kids do the skip spring for fall 5th year eligibility stuff. It all has to be medical though based on the PL rules.

I like your new avatar!:)

colgate13
November 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Figured it was about time to update it!

ngineer
November 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
What complicates this further is that there are no graduate programs at HC from which to make a fifth year easier.

How often does this happen in the PL, anyway? I don't know of any Georgetown players that have taken a fifth year since the MAAC days, plus the cost of attending another year doesn't exactly make it a strong proposition, either.

Not a lot, but occasionally. Lehigh's center last year, John Reese, got a fifth year and worked on a masters degree.

LBPop
November 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hasn't Randolph been there for five or six years already? Or maybe he has just completed five or six years worth of passes. xrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Not a lot, but occasionally. Lehigh's center last year, John Reese, got a fifth year and worked on a masters degree.

Lehigh's had a few, Graziani, Crockett, Reese come to mind but i think there's a couple more.

Husky Alum
November 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM

This is what makes this a farce.

All I hear from HC alum at my company is how they're academic focused and atlhetics have their "rightful" place there.

The NCAA should realize this is a joke and refuse to grant the fifth year.

There's a "residency" requirement for transfers and for most traditional students - taking a semester off just to play football in the fall semester is a joke, and Holy Cross should be ashamed of themselves.

You're talking aobut a school that gives its students a letter to explain their grading policy when you interview them (in Boston it basically says a 3.2 at Holy Cross is a 3.6 at BU, BC, Northeastern because of the rigid curve HC has) - and now will allow a student to sit home a semester to play football.

If it were a school that doesn't pound its chest about its academics at all, then I wouldn't have a problem - or if HC has a grad program, then that's kosher - but if this "student athlete" gets a 5th year and only gets it by sitting home during his senior spring semester, then that's just against everything I've ever heard HC stand for.

crusader11
November 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
This is what makes this a farce.

All I hear from HC alum at my company is how they're academic focused and atlhetics have their "rightful" place there.

The NCAA should realize this is a joke and refuse to grant the fifth year.

There's a "residency" requirement for transfers and for most traditional students - taking a semester off just to play football in the fall semester is a joke, and Holy Cross should be ashamed of themselves.

You're talking aobut a school that gives its students a letter to explain their grading policy when you interview them (in Boston it basically says a 3.2 at Holy Cross is a 3.6 at BU, BC, Northeastern because of the rigid curve HC has) - and now will allow a student to sit home a semester to play football.

If it were a school that doesn't pound its chest about its academics at all, then I wouldn't have a problem - or if HC has a grad program, then that's kosher - but if this "student athlete" gets a 5th year and only gets it by sitting home during his senior spring semester, then that's just against everything I've ever heard HC stand for.

So sorry Husky, looks like you guys will lose to us next September with Dom coming back. Call the wambulance for all of the 1,500 Northeastern fans that are at the game.

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
So sorry Husky, looks like you guys will lose to us next September with Dom coming back. Call the wambulance for all of the 1,500 Northeastern fans that are at the game.

Randolph threw for 280 and 302 yards in two games against the Hoyas, so that's not good news for the Hoyas' efforts at rebuilding early next year, having lost 15 of its last 16 in PL action.

Hopefully Georgetown won't be rolling out a new QB and a new backfield again, but time will tell.

LBPop
November 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hopefully Georgetown won't be rolling out a new QB and a new backfield again
They will certainly be recruiting a QB or two. I cannot imagine what they will say to those kids about their playing possibilities. xconfusedx xsmhx

Maybe there will be other things rolling besides a new QB...xrolleyesx

HoyaMetanoia
November 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
They will certainly be recruiting a QB or two. I cannot imagine what they will say to those kids about their playing possibilities. xconfusedx xsmhx

Maybe there will be other things rolling besides a new QB...xrolleyesx

I wish, but if it was going to happen, it would've happened by now...

(look at that, 3 different Hoya posters in a row)

Husky Alum
November 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM

We'd lose regardless who would be behind center for you guys - we're going to be starting a QB who has never taken a collegiate snap.

Just gives us some more ammo to blast at him - and an interview question to ask your students when they sit across from me at an interview - call it an ethical dilemma I want to see how they react to.

crusader11
November 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
We'd lose regardless who would be behind center for you guys - we're going to be starting a QB who has never taken a collegiate snap.

Just gives us some more ammo to blast at him - and an interview question to ask your students when they sit across from me at an interview - call it an ethical dilemma I want to see how they react to.

I don't think we would be interviewing at a place where a Northeastern grad would work. xnodx

ngineer
November 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I wish, but if it was going to happen, it would've happened by now...

(look at that, 3 different Hoya posters in a row)

You guys need to bigger and nastier in the trenches. I thought your skill people were good and dangerous this year, but the lines were woefully undersized.

LBPop
November 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I thought your skill people were good and dangerous this year, but the lines were woefully undersized.

Please copy this quote and feel free to paste it onto a new post every season. With a few notable exceptions (all pre-Kelly) this has been true for several years. xbawlingx

HoyaMetanoia
November 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM
You guys need to bigger and nastier in the trenches. I thought your skill people were good and dangerous this year, but the lines were woefully undersized.

It all starts at the top...

CrusaderBob
November 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Not an ethical dilemma at all. The Patriot League has rules for medical redshirts and has had them for years. The Patriot League not Holy Cross issues the decision on the extra year.

The rules are the rules and the school and Dom are following them. He would not be the first in the PL or at HC to follow the rules as such.

Where is the ethical dilemma in following the rules?

colgate13
November 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Gotta agree with HC folks here. There's nothing unethical about wanting to play all of your eligibility in a sport. If anything, it shows a great commitment to the sport. It's not like he's getting paid to play or he doesn't have to go to class. Plenty of kids take a semester off for plenty of reasons. This is just one...

ngineer
November 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I still have two years of eligibility. I keep threatening the wife to enroll again. Of course, 35 years later I think more than just the game would 'pass me by'. Hey, so long as Randolph qualifies under the rules, so be it. I just don't recall that he was hurt all that much.

CrusaderBob
November 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Gilmore said it in the pre-game press conference prior to the Lafayette game as reported in the Morning Call

Holy Cross Head Coach Tom Gilmore ...

... On getting Dominic Randolph to Holy Cross:

... really liked him as a kid, thought he had some good skills, but to be quite honest with you, he was very unproven. He only had two games that he started in high school as a quarterback, so we had very limited film ... Even early in his career here, he walked in, got hurt in the first quarter of our first JV game and didn't play at all as a freshman, either.

Here's the link to the full article with the quote:

http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m.../111108aab.html

Also a story in the Worcester Telegram this week:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081126/NEWS/811260438/1009/SPORTS

Husky Alum
November 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Not an ethical dilemma at all. The Patriot League has rules for medical redshirts and has had them for years. The Patriot League not Holy Cross issues the decision on the extra year.

The rules are the rules and the school and Dom are following them. He would not be the first in the PL or at HC to follow the rules as such.

Where is the ethical dilemma in following the rules?

You don't have a graduate program. If he was in grad school, I've got no problem at all.

You have a student at an institution that cliams to be an education first institution withdrawing from the school/not taking classes at said institution in order to play football.

You didn't want to join the Big East because your president didn't want an overemphasis on athletics, and you're ok with this?

I'm not saying it's illegal, I'm saying it's inconsistent with the mission your Holier Than Thou (no pun intended) institution puts forth.

CrusaderBob
December 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
You don't have a graduate program. If he was in grad school, I've got no problem at all.

You have a student at an institution that cliams to be an education first institution withdrawing from the school/not taking classes at said institution in order to play football.

You didn't want to join the Big East because your president didn't want an overemphasis on athletics, and you're ok with this?

I'm not saying it's illegal, I'm saying it's inconsistent with the mission your Holier Than Thou (no pun intended) institution puts forth.

It is not incosistent becasue the athletes are held to the same standard as the other students. Any student can take any semester off for virtually any reason and come back in good standing. That's what Dom may be doing or he may be adding a second major - a real honest to goodness academic reason for sticking around an extra semester or even two.

In the class entering in the Fall of 2001, 87+% graduated in 4 years. And 92% graudated in 6 years. That means almost 5% took between 1 and 4 "extra" semesters to graduate. Not the norm, but hardly unusual.

There is no ethical dilemma.

carney2
December 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
How often does this happen in the PL, anyway?

More often than you might think. At Lafayette WR Archie Fischer, DE Luke Schade and RB Maurice White come immediately to mind. And that's without giving it any thought.

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Sounds like we have our 2009 pre-season favorite in the PL.

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
I don't think we would be interviewing at a place where a Northeastern grad would work. xnodx

A lot of very successful people have graduated from NU, which is a highly underrated school. I have a couple of them for clients and they don't need to apologize to anybody.

crusader11
December 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
A lot of very successful people have graduated from NU, which is a highly underrated school. I have a couple of them for clients and they don't need to apologize to anybody.

I was obviously joking around. I know NU is a solid school, just not as solid as the PL schools.

ngineer
December 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Sounds like we have our 2009 pre-season favorite in the PL.

I agree it rejumbles the list, but just how much, other than Randolph, does HC have returning? Still need a supporting cast.

CrusaderBob
December 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Not Counting Randolph From the November 17 Two Deep

WR 1 Freddie Santana, So.
LT 62 Aaron Jones, Jr.
LG 65 Rob Petrosino, Jr.
RG 67 Mike Bernazzani, So.

Plus freshman RB, Matt Bollomo, who saw significant time in the final 3 - 4 games with injuries to Kielt and Gass. Also receivers Luke Chmielinski, So and Bill Edger, Jr. who are listed as second team receivers but saw significant time in HC's spread offense return. Throw in Dom and you have 5 starters returning and 3 who had significant roles returning on offense.

DEFENSE

DT 91 Alex Carson 6-0 245 Jr.
DE 90 Mude Ohimor 6-3 237 So.
OLB 96 Anthony Campbell 6-1 233 Jr.
ILB 93 Marcus Rodriguez 6-1 217 Jr.
OLB 41 Sean Lamkin 6-1 219 Jr.
FS 20 Alex Johnson 6-0 185 So.
CB 23 Anthony DiMichele 5-9 184 So.

That's 7 starters on defense - though they will have to be better next year.

SPECIAL TEAMS

KR 2 Josh Jenkins 5-7 143 So.
PR 2 Josh Jenkins 5-7 143 So.
HLD 16 Taylor Glor 6-4 221 Jr.

We'll need to replace the very reliable Matt Partain at kicker and punter Mike Holloway.

smallcollegefbfan
December 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Not Counting Randolph From the November 17 Two Deep

WR 1 Freddie Santana, So.
LT 62 Aaron Jones, Jr.
LG 65 Rob Petrosino, Jr.
RG 67 Mike Bernazzani, So.

Plus freshman RB, Matt Bollomo, who saw significant time in the final 3 - 4 games with injuries to Kielt and Gass. Also receivers Luke Chmielinski, So and Bill Edger, Jr. who are listed as second team receivers but saw significant time in HC's spread offense return. Throw in Dom and you have 5 starters returning and 3 who had significant roles returning on offense.

DEFENSE

DT 91 Alex Carson 6-0 245 Jr.
DE 90 Mude Ohimor 6-3 237 So.
OLB 96 Anthony Campbell 6-1 233 Jr.
ILB 93 Marcus Rodriguez 6-1 217 Jr.
OLB 41 Sean Lamkin 6-1 219 Jr.
FS 20 Alex Johnson 6-0 185 So.
CB 23 Anthony DiMichele 5-9 184 So.

That's 7 starters on defense - though they will have to be better next year.

SPECIAL TEAMS

KR 2 Josh Jenkins 5-7 143 So.
PR 2 Josh Jenkins 5-7 143 So.
HLD 16 Taylor Glor 6-4 221 Jr.

We'll need to replace the very reliable Matt Partain at kicker and punter Mike Holloway.

Word is that Randolph is going to get another year. He just needs to complete some courses and I was told it is likely that he returns.

crusader11
December 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Chris Poole and Chris Smith are eligible for 5th years as well...not sure if they will take advantage of it or not though.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I was obviously joking around. I know NU is a solid school, just not as solid as the PL schools.

I realize that. And I hope Randolph leads you guys to a title.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I agree it rejumbles the list, but just how much, other than Randolph, does HC have returning? Still need a supporting cast.

One superior player can lift a whole program. Anybody remember Ryan Vena?

crusader11
December 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I realize that. And I hope Randolph leads you guys to a title.

Even over your guys?