PDA

View Full Version : Pough looks to wrap up at-large bid against A&T

inpsite1919
November 15th, 2005, 03:03 AM
“The only thing that could happen that would keep us from getting in would be that they bring a team with either three losses or four losses ahead of us,” Pough said Monday. “Although there are some teams of that kind, I don’t think there’s enough of them in place for us to be totally out of the picture.”

At the same time, Pough insists on taking “the high road” when it comes to presenting the Bulldogs’ case for postseason inclusion rather than the tactics taken recently by some of his Division I-AA head coaches of publicly “campaigning” for a playoff bid at the expense of other schools.

“These guys get a lot of pressure on them,” he said. “They start feeling like they’ve got to hold on to their job security and that kind of stuff by getting into the playoffs and that kind of stuff. So they go out and make rash kind of statements that they would not normally take. We feel like last year we were 9-2 and did not feel good about how we were playing at the time. But we didn’t say one word about the fact that we didn’t get in because we were men about it because maybe those teams were better than us, they’re healthier than us, they could do a better job in the playoffs.

“But now the shoe is on the other foot, okay, and we feel like we are good enough to be in it. We feel like we are good enough to be in. We think that we’re playing great on defense and that we’ve got a good team and that we deserve to get in and I think it’s time for them now to show the same kind of discretion that we did when we were in the same situation.”

http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2005/11/15/sports/doc43795794a5cc5247508656.txt

R.A.
November 15th, 2005, 03:31 AM
-It's sad too me that folks will go to their graves saying that this team doesn't deserve a playoff birth. Any team that makes the playoffs, deserves to be in the playoffs... or they wouldn't be there.
-They'll probably have to go play at Furman. They're going to give Furman hell.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2005, 06:13 AM
South Carolina State is setting itself up for a huge disappointment. The only way the Bulldogs get in is with a whole bunch of teams from the group of Southern Illinois, UMass, Richmond, Nicholls State, Furman and Montana State losing and teams like Montana and Lehigh winning. The 9-2 isn't going to beat out a team like Cal Poly, with a huge strength of schedule advantage. Obviously Coastal Carolina gets in ahead of SCSU, too.

catamount man
November 15th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Maybe it's just me, but SCSU's wins look a hell of a lot more impressive than CCU's wins. Mansfield? Give me a break! Good luck to Coach Pough and the SCSU Bulldogs. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

rokamortis
November 15th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Maybe it's just me, but SCSU's wins look a hell of a lot more impressive than CCU's wins. Mansfield? Give me a break! Good luck to Coach Pough and the SCSU Bulldogs. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Did you even look at the entire schedule?

Mr. C
November 15th, 2005, 06:29 AM
But when you compare a 10-1 team with a 9-2 team, the 10-1 team gets in because it beat the 9-2 team. Head to head, baby.

Hamptongal
November 15th, 2005, 06:40 AM
The way I see it is, that no matter what not everybody will be pleased. There will never be year that everybody is 100% satisfied with the outcome of the playoff selection. If they make it in, they were worthy in the eyes of the committee, they deserve to be in the playoffs b/c the people who decide say so. If they don't make it, it's because they didn't make a strong enough case. It will just give them the impetus to beat the teams they lost to the year before to make an even stronger case for themselves.

89Hen
November 15th, 2005, 08:15 AM
:confused: Didn't Coastal BEAT SCSt?

89Hen
November 15th, 2005, 08:18 AM
“The only thing that could happen that would keep us from getting in would be that they bring a team with either three losses or four losses ahead of us,” Pough said Monday. “Although there are some teams of that kind, I don’t think there’s enough of them in place for us to be totally out of the picture.”
Grandstanding. The way things are shaking out, it will take a miracle Saturday for SCSt to make it. UMass, Richmond, Montana State, Coastal, CalPoly and SIU would probably ALL have to lose for them to make it. The only one of those that is not a heavy favorite is Montana State.

Tealblood
November 15th, 2005, 08:32 AM
He is doing what a good coach should be doing, looking out for his team. Now is not the time for a coach to start lamenting we should have done this or that better. Promote your team in the best light you can

arranger101
November 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM
He is doing what a good coach should be doing, looking out for his team. Now is not the time for a coach to start lamenting we should have done this or that better. Promote your team in the best light you can

....and let the church say...AMEN!!!!

R.A.
November 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM
- I still think they're in there :deadhorse but I feel like I've said this already.