PDA

View Full Version : Playoff first round TV

JayJ79
November 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I know the SCSU/ASU game will be on ESPNU.

Will any of the other first round games be shown on TV?
Local or otherwise.

Some people are having a hissy fit because UNI has elected to not let the local cable provider air the game live unless ticket sales are strong enough (which certainly seems like a good move to me).

And I'm just curious how many (if any) of the other first round games were being picked up for TV?

First round TV:
Wofford @ James Madison ???
Colgate @ Villanova none
Texas State @ Montana ???
Weber State @ Cal Poly none
SC State @ App. State ESPNU
Eastern Ky @ Richmond ???
Maine @ UNI none
New Hampshire @ SIU ???

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
My sources say that Colgate at Villanova will not be televised. xbawlingx

UMass922
November 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
My sources say that Colgate at Villanova will not be televised. xbawlingx

That's too bad; that seemed like the best bet for a CN8 game. I don't get ESPNU, so it's possible I might be shut out of the entire first round, TV-wise.

Stang Fever
November 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Cal Poly no tv from what i have heard. Now it will be a live stream over the internet

veinup
November 26th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Wish Weber/Poly would be on national telly..

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Cal Poly no tv from what i have heard. Now it will be a live stream over the internethopefully www.channelsurfing.net then anyone in the world with internet can watch it xthumbsupx

tingly
November 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM
channelsurfing's put all the poly home games on their site. If this week is another Poly pay feed, it ought to end up on channelsurfing. It's all perfectly legal I'm sure. ;)

darussian12
November 26th, 2008, 02:03 AM
its bs how espn own the rights and televises one game on their crap channel...im sure it been discussed before but hell if they dont want to televise....i bet many a local stations would be more then happy to piggy backing off whatever feed

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I know the SCSU/ASU game will be on ESPNU.

Will any of the other first round games be shown on TV?
Local or otherwise.

Some people are having a hissy fit because UNI has elected to not let the local cable provider air the game live unless ticket sales are strong enough (which certainly seems like a good move to me).

And I'm just curious how many (if any) of the other first round games were being picked up for TV?

First round TV:
Wofford @ James Madison ???
Colgate @ Villanova none
Texas State @ Montana ???
Weber State @ Cal Poly none
SC State @ App. State ESPNU
Eastern Ky @ Richmond ???
Maine @ UNI none
New Hampshire @ SIU ???

Doesn't that figure. Those polesmokers at ESPN pick THE worst game of the first round to televise. Apparently they don't remember last year's laugher between UD and DSU? This will make THAT one look like a nailbiter. Why not Weber/CP? Or Wofford/JMU? or UNH/SIU? ALL would be MUCH more entertaining games than the scrimmage ASU is going to have.

darussian12
November 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM
New Hampshire @ SIU ???

Doesn't that figure. Those polesmokers at ESPN pick THE worst game of the first round to televise. Apparently they don't remember last year's laugher between UD and DSU? This will make THAT one look like a nailbiter. Why not Weber/CP? Or Wofford/JMU? or UNH/SIU? ALL would be MUCH more entertaining games than the scrimmage ASU is going to have.

espn has no clue about i-aa football...my prob is they own the rights and even though they only tellevise 1 game the first round...i know tx state would be more then happy to put on a poor production but at least give us a game to watch on some random sattelite channel...and i bet any of the other teams ADs would be more then willling to do also...

JayJ79
November 26th, 2008, 02:37 AM
its bs how espn own the rights and televises one game on their crap channel...im sure it been discussed before but hell if they dont want to televise....i bet many a local stations would be more then happy to piggy backing off whatever feed

I'm not sure if they own complete rights. I'm sure they've worked out a deal with the NCAA so that they get first pick or whatever. And perhaps there are clauses preventing other national networks from airing the games. But it would surprise me if local networks couldn't air the non-espn games.

I know that last year, the local cable company (as well as local/statewide Mediacom) carried the first round UNI game (UNH at UNI). So it is possible (at least it was last year).

BeauFoster
November 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
The way I understand it, ESPN has first pick of the first round games that they would like to televise. After that, any network/company/whatever can choose to pay the NCAA for the rights to televise the game of their choice. How much that fee is, I don't know. I'd bet it ain't cheap, though.

Tealblood
November 26th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hard to understand

To a person who really has no dog in this fight--JMU vs. the most woofed team wofford seems like a no-brainer as the best game

Tealblood
November 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I mean JMU is #1
and Wofford is in my opinion about the 5th or 6th best team in FCS(only 2 losses 1 to FBS south carolina and the other at App.-granted it was a blowout but the first quarter and a half were fun)

19Duke97
November 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
ESPN has a love affair with ASU, but in all fairness, they have one of the better stadium setups for major TV. Of all the matchups, I would have liked to see Poly vs Weber. To me CP is the wildcard in this playoff, not sure what to expect from them.

Eight Legger
November 26th, 2008, 06:50 AM
CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager was on the radio here yesterday and said something to the effect of ESPN owns the production rights to some or all of the first round games and produces those games for syndication if other networks want to pick them up. I am not sure if they guarantee production of all 8 games, or just do the ones someone wants to televise or what.

UNHFan
November 26th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Its not over yet people, we should really start hearing things today if any games will make it to air. The above poster is correct. UNI UNH was put together jut a few days before the game. So keep hope alive!! Keep hope alive!

Martin

appfan2008
November 26th, 2008, 07:15 AM
right now asu has a name that espn thinks it can bank on people tuning into... one day it may be someone else... i personally wish our game wasnt on the U bc i am not a fan of noon kickoffs...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Why not have an ESPN+/ESPN Gameplan/ESPN 360 deal for the first round games? That's what baffles me. Farm out the games to local TV stations that care to produce the broadcasts, and have as part of the deal that it's on 360 for free - or offer on Gapmeplan as pay-per-view for those that don't have it. Doesn't everyone win that way?

I think an awful lot of folks would pay ESPN good money to watch Montana/Texas State, for example. Even 'Gate/Villanova might get more interest than you might think - there are a lot of Philadelphia sports fans that might tune in (especially with the Eagles playing Thursday night).

Ronbo
November 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I think ESPN will just give all the TV games to ASU. They have lights and it makes it handy. Too bad the Country won't see Wash/Griz again because they always want to do night games. We aren't going to put in lights till we stop expanding which will be at about 35-40,000 seats and 20 years from now. We probably won't be FCS then.

Cranium716
November 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The JMU/Wofford game looks like it will be streaming on MadiZONE at jmusports.com.

WestCoastAggie
November 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Well, App. St. is a team that alot of viewers will know & its time for an HBCU's to get some love on national TV (Even though it is ESPNU). BUT if you don't want to watch, I'm pretty sure that those schools will have a feed on their website for you to watch. xcoolx

So sit back on Saturday and watch a "surprising" game at 12 noon OR listen/watch to the stream of the game you want to see. AND if they will not have a stream of the game, HARASS YOUR AD & SID UNTIL THEY START ONE! xwhistlex

Cincy App
November 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM
TV decisions are determined by brand teams and anticipated viewership. ASU has a certain level of national interest due to its win last year against Michigan and due to its championship runs of the past 3 years.

However, HBCU teams also have a significant following. As a result, their classic games draw outstanding crowds and they have weekly games on ESPNU or ESPN Classic. We should not underestimate the national interest in the MEAC's SC State. After all, Delaware State played on national TV in last year's first round while ASU did not.

LacesOut
November 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Well this sucks.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
espn has no clue about i-aa football...my prob is they own the rights and even though they only tellevise 1 game the first round...i know tx state would be more then happy to put on a poor production but at least give us a game to watch on some random sattelite channel...and i bet any of the other teams ADs would be more then willling to do also...

Find a Montana bar in your area....they'll be showing the Griz feed of the game. You should be fine. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx If you need help, PM me. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Well, App. St. is a team that alot of viewers will know & its time for an HBCU's to get some love on national TV (Even though it is ESPNU). BUT if you don't want to watch, I'm pretty sure that those schools will have a feed on their website for you to watch. xcoolx

So sit back on Saturday and watch a "surprising" game at 12 noon OR listen/watch to the stream of the game you want to see. AND if they will not have a stream of the game, HARASS YOUR AD & SID UNTIL THEY START ONE! xwhistlex

MY team has all their games on TV. So, it's not an issue for me. And BigSkyTV.org streams them for free as well. It's more of a "marketing" thing than actually worrying about the best game...that's what makes it comical. xlolx xlolx

WestCoastAggie
November 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
MY team has all their games on TV. So, it's not an issue for me. And BigSkyTV.org streams them for free as well. It's more of a "marketing" thing than actually worrying about the best game...that's what makes it comical. xlolx xlolx

I might check BigSkyTV.com out after work sat so I can check out that Griz game.

But people have to realize ESPN is in the business of getting AD dollars and Having a ASU against a MEAC HBCU will draw interest from some casual fans and as we all know, if they can show this to people looking for ad space, they can get more money. I am just glad that SCSU can actually back-up the hype this year. xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I might check BigSkyTV.com out after work sat so I can check out that Griz game.

But people have to realize ESPN is in the business of getting AD dollars and Having a ASU against a MEAC HBCU will draw interest from some casual fans and as we all know, if they can show this to people looking for ad space, they can get more money. I am just glad that SCSU can actually back-up the hype this year. xsmiley_wix

I have zero problem with ESPN televising that particular game. They have to do what they have to do to make money, which is their business. I do have a problem with that game getting all-star treatment and the other seven games getting "webcam in the press box" treatment. You have to beleive there are local setups that would love to get the video, and could partner in some way with ESPN for a week to get it done. If ESPN is only going to devote energy to one game at the expense of the other seven - that shouldn't fly.

BeauFoster
November 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Looking over the PDF bracket on the NCAA website, it looks like the second round game between the ASU/SCSU and Richmond/EKU winner will be televised as well. Am I reading it wrong?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ncaa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2008-FCSFBBracket.pdf

mistersykes
November 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Anyone know of any ASU-SCSU viewing parties in the Triangle? I don't get ESPNU and don't plan on getting it for just for this game.

catamount man
November 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Seems like ESPN Gameplan televised a lot of the 1st and 2nd round games the last few years. I remember watching Sam Houston St-Eastern Washington on year.

I can live with SCSU-App.State.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

JayJ79
November 26th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Seems like ESPN Gameplan televised a lot of the 1st and 2nd round games the last few years. I remember watching Sam Houston St-Eastern Washington on year.

I can live with SCSU-App.State.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

espn Gameplan and/or ESPN360 and/or espn syndication was listed as covering all 4 quarterfinal (2nd round) games. at least on the original bracket

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Colgate's athletics site is giving a link to CSTV showing the Colgate-Villanova matchup xthumbsupx

Even better, the link says it's FREE xeekx xthumbsupx

danefan
November 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Nova/Colgate
Richmond/EKU
Cal Poly/Weber State

ALL AVAILABLE FREE AT
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=93350

grizbeer
November 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Montana TV/Satellite information:

Nov. 29 ... (KPAX-TV/Montana's News Stations) ... 12:05 p.m.

TV COORDINATES
(These are different from previous games)

AMC 15, 105 deg W.
Transponder K14
Slot A9
Downlink Frequency 11966.5Mhz
SR: 6.148936
FEC: 3/4
DATA RATE: 8.500

Bobcat94
November 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Time Warner Cable has picked up the feed for 700,000 home in the state of Texas. San Marcos, Austin, Round Rock; San Antonio and Dallas.

Thanks to UM TxSt and Time Warner Cable as well as sponsors.

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/

UNHFan
November 27th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Wow good work guys!! Great info!

boonegoon
November 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm sitting here watching a pathetic Detroit team play the Titans and thought just how cool would it be to see all of the FCS playoff games today back-to back-to-back all day. Just like a bowlgame day but better.

charliej
November 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Because ASU beat Michigan last year. I doubt they take much notice on the match up,just which team might have the best name recognition.

AppStFan76
November 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Because ASU beat Michigan last year. I doubt they take much notice on the match up,just which team might have the best name recognition.

I agree...ESPN just wants viewers, and they are so out of the FCS loop, they dont know the good game from the bad. They know App because of the success we've had, and they assume others will too.

Thats the only reason App was picked, IMO.

SeattleGriz
November 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I agree...ESPN just wants viewers, and they are so out of the FCS loop, they dont know the good game from the bad. They know App because of the success we've had, and they assume others will too.

Thats the only reason App was picked, IMO.

I agree as well that App was picked for obvious reasons, but must admit at least App will put some butts in the seats and make the stadium look full and like everyone is having a blast.

Sad when we talk about how great our playoff system is, then a game gets televised and less than half the seats are full.

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I agree as well that App was picked for obvious reasons, but must admit at least App will put some butts in the seats and make the stadium look full and like everyone is having a blast.

Sad when we talk about how great our playoff system is, then a game gets televised and less than half the seats are full.

You are right, We will fill the stadium up and bring excitement to the viewers, rather or not it is the better game to broadcast is a different question.

txst_wtc
November 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I wish in the coming weeks ESPN classic would do "Classic FCS Playoffs" marathon. Play some of the best FCS games.