PDA

View Full Version : Coulson has no class

109GrizGuy
November 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I just read Dave Coulson's article this week: "Putting the foot in football (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4193473)". I this it's wrong to write about a college player the way he did so I wrote to him (see below). Comments?

Dear Mr. Coulson,

I'm sure after reading my email you will attribute my comments to those of just another Montana Griz fan who has an axe to grind with you but, be assured, they are not. I have never written you prior to today but was prompted to do so because of your class-less article that featured Cal Poly's kicker.

It is one thing to criticize an NFL player (including kickers) who draws a substantial salary for their mistakes but to do so to a college kid (a walk on!) with the gusto that you put in your article is simply wrong. I sincerely hope that you print an apology to this young man. You should be ashamed.

Sincerely,

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I just read Dave Coulson's article this week: "Putting the foot in football (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4193473)". I this it's wrong to write about a college player the way he did so I wrote to him (see below). Comments?

Dear Mr. Coulson,

I'm sure after reading my email you will attribute my comments to those of just another Montana Griz fan who has an axe to grind with you but, be assured, they are not. I have never written you prior to today but was prompted to do so because of your class-less article that featured Cal Poly's kicker.

It is one thing to criticize an NFL player (including kickers) who draws a substantial salary for their mistakes but to do so to a college kid (a walk on!) with the gusto that you put in your article is simply wrong. I sincerely hope that you print an apology to this young man. You should be ashamed.

Sincerely,

Don't expect a reply.

SteelCurtain
November 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I totally agree with you. This guy is a classless tool.

89Hen
November 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure the article is as bad as you made it out to be. xpeacex

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I just read Dave Coulson's article this week: "Putting the foot in football (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4193473)". I this it's wrong to write about a college player the way he did so I wrote to him (see below). Comments?Wow! Do you know Coulson? His wife? His daughters? Anyone that knows him? This personal stuff has gone too far. Disagree with a columnist's opinions but to call the person classless without having a clue about them is a classless action.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

BTW, kickers face this all the time. They know they are the hero or the goat. Ask Scott Norwood.

GannonFan
November 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Frankly, I didn't think the article was all that bad. It was a news article and it covered the subject. He didn't revel in the misses or project anything on the kid. I actually found it pretty imformative, especially considering I didn't even know the scenario from either game (Montana or Wisconsin), so from that perspective, it was informative. I could see how a Cal Poly person or someone closer to it could see it as just another article piling onto this kid's misery, but us East Coasters don't get as much Cal Poly news as we should and this was a good piece for that.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not a big Coulson fan, but I see nothing wrong with his coverage of that game, or his treatment of the Cal Poly kicker. Seems to me he was empathizing with him.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure the article is as bad as you made it out to be. xpeacex

I'm not big fan of Coulson's articles (he's a really nice guy), but I'm with Hen on this one. I thought it made the Cal Poly team look worse than the kicker, abandoning him when they needed to try and lift him up before a playoff run. Instead the article pointed out that there was no one there, player or coach, to console him.

109GrizGuy
November 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Wow! Do you know Coulson? His wife? His daughters? Anyone that knows him? This personal stuff has gone too far. Disagree with a columnist's opinions but to call the person classless without having a clue about them is a classless action.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

BTW, kickers face this all the time. They know they are the hero or the goat. Ask Scott Norwood.

Scott Norwood? NFL! Do I know Coulson wife or daughters? Nope! Do you think Dave knows how his article affects Cal Poly's kicker's friends and family. I think not. I standby my statement

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Scott Norwood? NFL! Do I know Coulson wife or daughters? Nope! Do you think Dave knows how his article affects Cal Poly's kicker's friends and family. I think not. I standby my statementDo you know how his article affects Cal Poly's kicker's friends and family? xconfusedx

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Scott Norwood? NFL! Do I know Coulson wife or daughters? Nope! Do you think Dave knows how his article affects Cal Poly's kicker's friends and family. I think not. I standby my statement

Seriously, would you mind posting what you find offensive? I'm not following...

Saint3333
November 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Sounds like the Oklahoma St. coach last year, but unwarranted.

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Before you jump on me I have not read the article yet, I simply don't have time with the postseason around to read everything; however, I will soon.

If you know Dave you know he is a good person. Yes he called out the kicker and yes others do it all the time. It is just part of what the media writes.

I saw the game and thought the entire time wow if the kicker was any good today that they would have won. I am not saying the kicker is bad but he had a bad game and I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing it out.

Our constitution protects us with free speech. You have a right to call him classless and he has a right to point out that kicker missing those kicks. You really should make it a point to meet Coulson and you would see he is not classless. He really pulls for players to do well and to be honest I think he just tells it like it is. People don't like to be told the truth all the time because it hurts. I'm sure that kicker will use it as motivation and perform very well from here on out. If anything, it might help that kicker to get called out because he will work hard to improve on it.

jlcharles
November 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
While I don't really agree with your statements about him, Coulson is a terrible writer. I wish Tony Moss or Matt Dougherty would come back to FCS for sports Network.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Is it just me, or does this kid not play Division I football? Sure, it sucks what happened to him, and I'm sure he feels horrible, but welcome to the big boy's league. If this was high school that would be one thing (for the most part they're minors). He is not a kid, by society's standard he is a man, and if he can't take criticism for his poor performance, he should not be playing Division I football. Those not the kicker who are offended, get over yourself. Be a big boy.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Before you jump on me I have not read the article yet, I simply don't have time with the postseason around to read everything; however, I will soon.

If you know Dave you know he is a good person. Yes he called out the kicker and yes others do it all the time. It is just part of what the media writes.

I saw the game and thought the entire time wow if the kicker was any good today that they would have won. I am not saying the kicker is bad but he had a bad game and I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing it out.

Our constitution protects us with free speech. You have a right to call him classless and he has a right to point out that kicker missing those kicks. You really should make it a point to meet Coulson and you would see he is not classless. He really pulls for players to do well and to be honest I think he just tells it like it is. People don't like to be told the truth all the time because it hurts. I'm sure that kicker will use it as motivation and perform very well from here on out. If anything, it might help that kicker to get called out because he will work hard to improve on it.

Just not on a message board.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
While I don't really agree with your statements about him, Coulson is a terrible writer. I wish Tony Moss or Matt Dougherty would come back to FCS for sports Network.

Or any highschool kid that can operate a computer.

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I read the article and really didnt have a problem with it... maybe that is just me...

jlcharles
November 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Or any highschool kid that can operate a computer.

Not sure I follow. I think you left a few words out.

OL FU
November 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM

That statement is absolutely correct. and once again the constitution got it rightxthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Well his article was not on a message board it was on their website and the fan did write an email to him giving him the right to do it. I am just saying both are within their right. I do think he overreacted to what Coulson wrote but also feel sympathy for the kicker and his family. Hopefully this fuels him to do better and he bounces back to have a great game this week!

OL FU
November 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Nothing wrong with the article at all.

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Not a damned thing wrong with Coulson's article. Respectful, but factual. Good job, Dave.

This Montana-Coulson kneejerking is old.

I'd be ashamed to write a lame letter like that, 109.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

xoopsx

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Not sure I follow. I think you left a few words out.

I was just saying that any highschool kid could be a better writer than Coulson.

BisonBacker
November 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It's college football not backyard flag football. You want to handle the kid with a soft touch, well too bad. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the obvious. The kid had multiple chances and biffed on em. If it was just one kick that he messed up on then hey I would see it being a problem but it was more than one kick. Yes they don't get paid like in the NFL however is this kid getting a scholarship or partial? Either way they better get used to being called out for poor performances. The real world won't handle them with the soft touch, they blow it in business they won't last. That's the problem with everyone in this day and age. Nobody can fail anymore there must be a better way. Instead of an F in school they are allowed to pass cuz you know we can't have any child left behind even if the kid can't spell. Better graduate them wouldn't want to have them feel bad. Wouldn't want to hurt his or her feelings. To bad get over it the kid biffed three kicks and cost Poly the game. Yeah I'm sure he feels bad but hopefully that feeling will make him work harder so it doesn't happen if there is a next time.

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I was just saying that any highschool kid could be a better writer than Coulson.

Oh, they could, huh? Tell us how....

xrulesx

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Not a damned thing wrong with Coulson's article. Respectful, but factual. Good job, Dave.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

xoopsx

When I find a writer I don't like I just don't read his work instead of calling him names. That is just how I look at it. Don't read Coulson's work for those who don't like it and that way you won't have to worry about what he says.

For the kicker and his family if he is offended then he needs to take it up with Coulson himself. I would be curious to hear the kicker's thoughts on the article.

Syntax Error
Seriously, would you mind posting what you find offensive? I'm not following...Yeah, it was part about kicking miseries, a small part of a long article. What is he not going to mention the most notable from Saturday? He didn't attack the kid, far from it. He empathized with him. Then he went on to talk about two other important games with decisive kicks.

mcveyrl
Would someone that was offended by the article, please post the offensive parts...

I'M INCREDIBLY CONFUSED!!

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Oh, they could, huh? Tell us how....

xrulesx

EDIT:

mcveyrl
Yeah, it was part about kicking miseries, a small part of a long article. What is he not going to mention the most notable from Saturday? He didn't attack the kid, far from it. He empathized with him. Then he went on to talk about two other important games with decisive kicks.

I'm with you on that. I didn't find anything in the article in the least bit offensive. The kid probably was miserable. I'm sure he hates making the mistakes worse than anybody. I also thought he was empathizing with him. I just wanted somebody that was truly offended to point out the issues they had with it.

Stang Fever

Dear Mr. Coulson,

Sincerely,

Well I for one found the article to be okay. But to each is own.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
He didn't write an article.

An article is a piece of work that gets published.

Coulson didn't published. He never has and never will.

He writes the equivalent of an online blog.

Notice the lack of things called "quotes". That's because never gets any interviews.

Guy just spews his blog-opinion.

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Like someone else stated... for those who have a problem please post the part you found offensive. I would like to read it. I don't really have time to read that entire article and search for a couple sentences. Thanks

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM

xoopsx

Nothing wrong with the article for me either, and I agree with you about the knee jerking. The only part I disagree with you on Cap'n is the being ashamed if you wrote a lame letter like that. Look at some of the stuff you post...you have no shame and for that I am eternally grateful.

WUTNDITWAA
The article seemed to be okay to me.

Of course, this could have been avoided if he would've MADE THE STINKIN' KICK!!!

Syntax Error
The thread title should be Classless Article not Coulson has no class. I just think it should be like you say in your email. xtwocentsx

OL FU
November 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Notice the lack of things called "quotes". That's because never gets any interviews.

I am not an expert but I would imagine that writing for a news company (in this case a sports news company) whether being online or in print would count as an article. I don't think the fact that the medium is paper instead of on-line makes a damn. xtwocentsx

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
For the math-deprived:

molehill < mountain

I think some people are getting the order reversed in this thread.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Guy just spews his blog-opinion.As Coulson would say, "get a clue". Sports Network stuff is published, all over the place in all mediums.

109GrizGuy
November 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Sorry, maybe it's me and that's ok. I believe you don't boo your team (even though they are D1), cheer injuries, etc. I saw the article as devoting 20-25% about this kicker. The other kicking woes were blocked kicks not about the specific kicker.

I will say that I should have titled the thread "Coulson's article had no class". You're right, I don't know the guy and didn't mean to judge him personally.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry, maybe it's me and that's ok. I believe you don't boo your team (even though they are D1), cheer injuries, etc. I saw the article as devoting 20-25% about this kicker. The other kicking woes were blocked kicks not about the specific kicker.

I will say that I should have titled the thread "Coulson's article had no class". You're right, I don't know the guy and didn't mean to judge him personally.

It reported facts.

He missed three extra points. It sucked to be him. All true.

It also empathized with him, though.

UNI Pike
November 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I don't see it. Cal Poly 10-0, Gardner 8-2

MplsBison
November 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
As Coulson would say, "get a clue". Sports Network stuff is published, all over the place in all mediums.

I have a hard time believing that his blog-opinion gets published anywhere other than online.

Again, notice the lack of quotes due to no one giving him an interview.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I saw the article as devoting 20-25% about this kicker...I checked and the article has 4,163 words and 792 of them were about Gardner and Cal Poly in the beginning. So yeah, 80% of the article was about other stuff. xcoffeex

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Nothing wrong with the article for me either, and I agree with you about the knee jerking. The only part I disagree with you on Cap'n is the being ashamed if you wrote a lame letter like that. Look at some of the stuff you post...you have no shame and for that I am eternally grateful.

I am your humble servant, Ursa Labia Majora!

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have a hard time believing that his blog-opinion gets published anywhere other than online. Again, notice the lack of quotes due to no one giving him an interview.xrolleyesx CLUELESS xrolleyesx

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM

One thing about Coulson, 109: He makes a mean Bloody Mary.

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I have a hard time believing that his blog-opinion gets published anywhere other than online.

Again, notice the lack of quotes due to no one giving him an interview.

Jesus.

xcoffeex

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I have had my issues with Coulson, but I read this and i'm left sitting here wondering if I dont know how to read or if i just dont get it.

Nothing Coulson said was classless. I wouldnt call him classless... sure he gets very socon homerish and it can be damn annoying, but hey whatever, I dont search out his articles reguarly because of it.

I have said worse things about the Red Sox, Celtics, Pats, Bruins and especially Danny Ainge... am I classless? NO, Im passionate.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I am your humble servant, Ursa Labia Majora!

Oh Cap'n Scat you never get my name right! Never the less I concur with what you've said.

OL FU
November 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
As Coulson would say, "get a clue". Sports Network stuff is published, all over the place in all mediums.

I now understand. Articles aren't articles unless they are in news print and football isn't football if it is played on grassxnodx xsmiley_wix

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I have had my issues with Coulson, but I read this and i'm left sitting here wondering if I dont know how to read or if i just dont get it.

Nothing Coulson said was classless. I wouldnt call him classless... sure he gets very socon homerish and it can be damn annoying, but hey whatever, I dont search out his articles reguarly because of it.

I have said worse things about the Red Sox, Celtics, Pats, Bruins and especially Danny Ainge... am I classless? NO, Im passionate.

And gay.

Not that there's anything.....

xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM

I have always assumed that you don't know how to read...:D

Isn't that what a homosexual is? xconfusedx

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I now understand. Articles aren't articles unless they are in news print and football isn't football if it is played indoors on artificial turf.xnodx xsmiley_wix

Fixed it.

OL FU
November 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Fixed it.

Did I get it wrong:( I never read mplbisonxsmhx I just read what other people say about himxlolx

IaaScribe
November 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Is it just me, or does this kid not play Division I football? Sure, it sucks what happened to him, and I'm sure he feels horrible, but welcome to the big boy's league. If this was high school that would be one thing (for the most part they're minors). He is not a kid, by society's standard he is a man, and if he can't take criticism for his poor performance, he should not be playing Division I football. Those not the kicker who are offended, get over yourself. Be a big boy.

+10

grizbeer
November 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Like someone else stated... for those who have a problem please post the part you found offensive. I would like to read it. I don't really have time to read that entire article and search for a couple sentences. Thanksthere's this:

Montana broke out its old, orange jerseys for the 108th Brawl of the Wild
Orange? those are copper buddy

I thought the part about the kicker was fine, though.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I now understand. Articles aren't articles unless they are in news print...His clueless part is that Sports Network and College Sporting News articles do appear in news print.

jonmac
November 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with it at all, especially the part about the CP kicker. And shoot, I think he wrote something about every team in the subdivision, at least all the conferences. That should make all of you that think he is such a homer happy. Even when he wrote about App it was about a loss to Liberty. Good grief. And only chicks and guys like Travis know the difference between orange and copper. (jk Travis, et al, I know you guys on this board can take it, and dish it out.xsmiley_wix xpeacex )

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I thought copper was shiny? Even the helmets weren't shiny. Looked like burnt orange.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM
His clueless part is that Sports Network and College Sporting News articles do appear in news print.

But does Coulson's blog-opinion?

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
And only chicks and guys like Travis know the difference between orange and copper. (jk Travis, et al, I know you guys on this board can take it, and dish it out.xsmiley_wix xpeacex )

Yea, it's not like they had the felon players in their jumpsuits on the sidelines so you could compare the two!! :D :p

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM

But does Coulson's blog-opinion?

That's not what you said. To your first point, he actually has been published. Reading you may want to check into, considering it deals with the playoffs.

You can purchase it here: http://www.amazon.ca/Magic-Mountain-Appalachian-National-Championship/dp/1933251336

UNHFan
November 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Great article thanks for posting!! I subsribe to his news letter now! lol

I love www.anygivenmarthastewartsaturday.com more and more these days!

grizbeer
November 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I thought copper was shiny? Even the helmets weren't shiny. Looked like burnt orange.In Montana it is Copper, in Texas it is burnt orange :D and the helmets are gold.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
In Montana it is Copper, in Texas it is burnt orange :D and the helmets are gold.xconfusedx What is the color of Montana State's helmet? Still Coulson knows the color is supposed to be copper.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/20081122MSU-UM.jpg

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
xconfusedx

Looks like a high school in rural New Mexico.

appstate1998
November 25th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Well The Coach has responded the the article....and wow...he is not happy with the journalism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

But in all seriousness, I've disagreed with his articles as many times as I have agreed with him, but that is what writing for a column is all about and I am glad he writes what he feels instead of wondering what people will think about it. If everyone wrote to be "PC" this would be a very boring message board and we would be reading very boring columns. How many times do we all disagree on here and think what the other person says is wrong and hurtful.

grizbeer
November 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
xconfusedx What is the color of Montana State's helmet? Still Coulson knows the color is supposed to be copper.

different shade of gold

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:su3LHwZRx-q5SM:http://www.ccrds.com/color-gold.jpg

MplsBison
November 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
That's not what you said. To your first point, he actually has been published. Reading you may want to check into, considering it deals with the playoffs.

You can purchase it here: http://www.amazon.ca/Magic-Mountain-Appalachian-National-Championship/dp/1933251336

Ok so he has been published by a nobody publisher.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM
xconfusedx What is the color of Montana State's helmet? Still Coulson knows the color is supposed to be copper.

Nike just lost a lot of credibility in my book for agreeing to fabricate those ... things.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM

FWIW, the Harrisonburg paper used him routinely on articles about the playoffs and pairings and about the Payton award.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2008, 04:22 PM
FWIW, the Harrisonburg paper used him routinely on articles about the playoffs and pairings and about the Payton award.

So he has been published by a small publisher looking to capitalize on ASU's three peat (and Coulson was the best they could do on a limited budget) and a small town newspaper.

Ok, your point is?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
So he has been published by a small publisher looking to capitalize on ASU's three peat (and Coulson was the best they could do on a limited budget) and a small town newspaper.

Ok, your point is?

You said he wasn't published. He is. You are wrong again. Shut your mouth.

mcveyrl

Ok, your point is?

I just said "for what it's worth"!! It's like Ricky Bobby saying "With all due respect", after you say FWIW, your comment can add zero value to the conversation.

Seriously, he's a known and respected name in I-AA football. How many other sports writers for our division have been published by a "big time" publisher?

ursus arctos horribilis
Nike just lost a lot of credibility in my book for agreeing to fabricate those ... things.

I'll alert Nike right away.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 04:31 PM
So he has been publishedxrolleyesx CLUELESS xrolleyesx

Sports Network is a wire service and everything they do is wired to thousands of publications. That is called publishing. Also, Coulson was a newspaper writer and editor for most of his career including the LA Times. He has been published extensively. Glad to help educate you.

UNI Pike
November 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Ok, your point is?

It's easy to criticize, harder to create. As much crap as Mr. Coulson gets (some deservingly) I don't see many others putting themselves on the line to write a weekly column or two.

Put up, or shut up.

grizbeer
November 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Nike just lost a lot of credibility in my book for agreeing to fabricate those ... things.ha ha - looks like Nike will make some good money off replicas of these ... things. The game jerseys sold out immediately for $200, helmets $300, but now the players want to keep them:

Dear Griz Fan,

Thank you for your support of Griz Football through the purchase of a throw-back jersey and/or helmet. I wanted to send you a quick update on the status of your order. To be honest, we underestimated the emotion these pieces of equipment would stir within the players who wore them…and the desire they would have to purchase them. Remember, the players had no idea they would be wearing the copper and gold until two hours before kickoff.

At this point we are currently working through NCAA rules and regulations surrounding the topic of student-athletes purchasing equipment. Because of this, the shipment of this equipment to those who purchased them online must be delayed. Your credit card has not been charged.

If this delay changes your desire to purchase the equipment, please contact the GSA office at 406-243-6481. I will keep you updated as the situation unfolds.

Thank you for your patience. We are only trying to do right by our student-athletes.

Go Griz,

Greg Sundberg

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Looks like a high school in rural New Mexico.Smacker leak on the discussion board again. Fact, MSU and UM are 5-2 against UNI.

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Dear Mr. Coulson,

Sincerely,

xrolleyesx

After reading this article twice I've come to this conclusion...

If you were offended in any way by the article or you think that Coulson is "classless" because of it, you should just go ahead an do us all a favor...take your life. That's right, just end it now. This is exactly what's wrong with America. Are people really upset by this article!?

Cranium716
November 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Here's the real question: If AE or Rodney Landers had thrown five INTs in a big game that cost their team a chance at a seed in the playoffs, would columnists write about how awful a performance it was and how they should be the ones shouldering the loss? OF COURSE! That's what sports writers do, they write about the big stories of the day, and this definitely was one of them. Gardner has missed big kicks throughout the entire season (i.e. Montana & Wisconsin) and probably cost his team a shot at a seed. Of course that's a big story! If he had done his job as a kicker, that article would never have been written.

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Here's the real question: If AE or Rodney Landers had thrown five INTs in a big game that cost their team a chance at a seed in the playoffs, would columnists write about how awful a performance it was and how they should be the ones shouldering the loss? OF COURSE! That's what sports writers do, they write about the big stories of the day, and this definitely was one of them. Gardner has missed big kicks throughout the entire season (i.e. Montana & Wisconsin) and probably cost his team a shot at a seed. Of course that's a big story! If he had done his job as a kicker, that article would never have been written.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out that a guy missed MULTIPLE extra points (which are supposed to be "automatic") in a game that would have been one of the biggest wins in the programs history.

Missing that many extra points is like missing 3 consecutive free throw tries at the end of the game when your team is tied and all you need is 1 to win...It's a newsworthy story.

Appinator
November 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I just wanted to say props to Mr. C.

He has done nothing but help promote FCS football for years, and I hope everyone on this board does not take one person's opinion and run with it. I didn't find anything offensive with the article at all.

It's sad that CP came so close to winning the game and had it taken from them because of "easy" points. It IS the kickers fault and it's a tough situation, but if anything, DC painted a lonesome end to a great game for someone who has carried his team to victory a few times throughout the year. Empathy is exactly the theme that I read throughout the piece.

SideLine Shooter
November 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM
First of all, I consider David Coulson to be a friend of mine. You will not find a more knowledgeable person on the planet when it comes to college football. He is a good person too.

I didn't see anything wrong with the article. He is a writer, reporter and he calls it the way he sees it.

Keep up the great work Mr. C.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I just don't see what all the fuss is about. If you don't like him, don't read him. If you REALLY don't like him, why give him the satisfaction of discussion? I understand alot of Griz fans have a thing against Coulson - but I think we should all just say who gives a *****

mlbowl
November 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I sure didn't see a problem with the article and I can assure you Mr. C is far from classless...but he is an App homer!!!xnodx

Poly Pigskin
November 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I just wanted to say props to Mr. C.

He has done nothing but help promote FCS football for years, and I hope everyone on this board does not take one person's opinion and run with it. I didn't find anything offensive with the article at all.

It's sad that CP came so close to winning the game and had it taken from them because of "easy" points. It IS the kickers fault and it's a tough situation, but if anything, DC painted a lonesome end to a great game for someone who has carried his team to victory ONCE throughout the year. Empathy is exactly the theme that I read throughout the piece.

Fixed it for you. He blew 2 games, saved one. And really, the one he made was the least important. I would gladly trade the SDSU win for a Montana win.

jonmac
November 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Y'all should've seen the mmb when our kicker missed 2 pat in a game(that we won). I'm surprised he wasn't burned in effigy by asutodd(love ya todd.xpeacex )

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Smacker leak on the discussion board again. Fact, MSU and UM are 5-2 against UNI.

Yes Montana is 4-0 infact if I remember correctly a couple of the times they beat us were in those awesome uniforms they were wearing.

I am not being sarcastic those are sweet. I think they should go back to those colors on a permanent basis. There is nothing more boring than plain old maroon and silver.

GreatAppSt
November 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Then it's a weak leg you choose to stand on.xthumbsupx

Cleets
November 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Can't speak for the rest of AGS but I miss Mr. C hanging around and talking football on the forum...

1) He get's paid for his opinion and analysis (yes both)
2) He knows FCS football
3) He promotes our brand of play xnodx

All we've succeeded in doing is chasing him off - which is too bad

xbowx

thmst30
November 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have three comments on this thread.

1: Don't care too much for Coulson's writing, but I do know him personally and he's an OK guy.
2: Nothing classless or offending about that article AT ALL.
3: DO NOT be putting down Parkway Publishers. I know the owner very well and he works his butt off to keep his business strong, and he is really good people. So don't be calling them a small-time nobody publisher who couldn't do better than Coulson.

That is all.......for now.

ASU_Pads
November 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM

... and Ray Finkle.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM
... and Ray Finkle.I couldn't remember the name or the movie title but that was HILARIOUS! xlolx So Dave, be careful with Gardner! xlolx

jonmac
November 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I couldn't remember the name or the movie title but that was HILARIOUS! xlolx So Dave, be careful with Gardner! xlolx

Don't worry, Ace will be on the case. AAAAALLLLLLLLRIGHTY THEN!

Montanan
November 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
thank you all for some really fine xlolx Tuesday night entertainment. i do love diversity!xnodx xlolx xnodx

wideright82
November 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
FWIW, his writing about the kicker showed more class than i would have given the kid. One extra point, fine, two extra points, pushing it, but to miss THREE.... THREE extra points to the exact same side in the same game is inexcusable for any kicker. It doesn't take any adjustment, just kick the damn ball. He is on a DI team kicking, he should make at least one of those 3 extra points, to me another writer closer to Cal Poly should give him an even harder time, the pat on the back, and the encouragement should come from his teammates and his coaches, not the writers covering his terrible play.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Ok, your point is?

The point is you were WRONG. Be a man and admit it. Clearly you have some little man syndrome that makes you jealous of his success. What have you published? That's right, you're just on here talking ***** and calling names like a child when you're called on your BS.

He may have only been published by a "nobody publisher," but at least his claim to fame isn't being MplsBison on AGS. xlolx

ASU_Pads
November 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Three missed PAT's in a game is a little ridiculous, but is Cal Poly's kicker that bad? A lot goes into a kick. You've got the line, the snap, the hold, the wind, yada yada yada, and then the kick. I'm just trying to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Any Cal Poly fans out there who know if it is the kicker or could it be something else?

Tod
November 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Can't speak for the rest of AGS but I miss Mr. C hanging around and talking football on the forum...

2) He knows FCS football

xbowx

DITTO!!!

xmadx

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I'm sure he's lingering around somewhere. It's really tough to stay away from here if you like/follow FCS. I didn't post for a while following the Delaware loss, but I still read up on what everybody thought about everything happening in the FCS world. I don't agree with everything he writes, but he knows a hell of a lot more than I do about FCS.

Tod
November 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm sure he's lingering around somewhere. It's really tough to stay away from here if you like/follow FCS. I didn't post for a while following the Delaware loss, but I still read up on what everybody thought about everything happening in the FCS world. I don't agree with everything he writes, but he knows a hell of a lot more than I do about FCS.

Nobody's perfect, but Mr. C is a fine columnist and a credit to FCS football. I'm not sure why so many Griz fans seem to hold a grudge against him.

Anybody know the reason behind that? Is it because he dissed the Griz Nation, or that he doesn't give us the attention we demand...oh, sorry, I mean deserve, of course...

GRZZ
November 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
First of all, I consider David Coulson to be a friend of mine. You will not find a more knowledgeable person on the planet when it comes to college football. He is a good person too.

I didn't see anything wrong with the article. He is a writer, reporter and he calls it the way he sees it.

Keep up the great work Mr. C.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Mr. C is Coulson? I'm confused because I had been told by higher sources that he wasn't...... xrotatehx xrotatehx xnodx :) :) :) :) :) xpeacex

In all seriousness, I didn't find the article offensive.

Tod
November 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Mr. C is Coulson? I'm confused because I had been told by higher sources that he wasn't...... xrotatehx xrotatehx xnodx :) :) :) :) :) xpeacex

In all seriousness, I didn't find the article offensive.

He used to be...:( xsmhx xsmhx

GRZZ
November 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
He used to be...:( xsmhx xsmhx

I remember really not liking most of Coulson's articles...so I stopped reading them. Seemed like the adult thing to do. He seemed to pick against Montana any chance he got and that really irked a lot of the fans I guess? It was/is his opinion. I just didn't like the articles, heavy on statistics and assumptions based on those stats-lite on interviews. He was right about Wofford last year... to each their own I suppose.

OL FU
November 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM

2) He knows FCS football

xbowx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2634771/2/istockphoto_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

appstate1998
November 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I just said "for what it's worth"!! It's like Ricky Bobby saying "With all due respect", after you say FWIW, your comment can add zero value to the conversation.

Seriously, he's a known and respected name in I-AA football. How many other sports writers for our division have been published by a "big time" publisher?

IT'S IN THE GENEVA CONVENTION!!!! LOOK IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

andy7171
November 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm with Cleets, I miss Mr.C.

I found nothing wrong with the article. And as a kicker hater, I found the article to be sympathetic to Gardner if anything. Kickers either do thier job or lose the game. Plain and simple. In this case, the kicker lost a huge one for Cal Poly. And no one was there to console him. BOO HOO!

Lay off Coulson.

Skjellyfetti
November 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23mOQxoZnQo

MplsBison
November 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
ha ha - looks like Nike will make some good money off replicas of these ... things. The game jerseys sold out immediately for $200, helmets $300, but now the players want to keep them:

"Tradition" rears it's ugly head.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM
The point is you were WRONG. Be a man and admit it. Clearly you have some little man syndrome that makes you jealous of his success. What have you published? That's right, you're just on here talking ***** and calling names like a child when you're called on your BS.

He may have only been published by a "nobody publisher," but at least his claim to fame isn't being MplsBison on AGS. xlolx

At least I'm entertaining to read.

Gil Dobie
November 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM

:pumpuke:

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM

That's true, you are a maverick, in the Sarah Palin sense of the word. :D I actually rarely read his articles. Of course, you're talents are much more appreciated on the Smack Forum. xnodx xlolx

OL FU
November 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM

:pumpuke: :pumpuke:

SoCon48
November 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Can't argue with that!!

Nothing new. DC dumped on ASU's Coach Jerry Moore just before they were about to fire Moore prior to the 2005 National Championship run. Nothing surprises me.

MasonJar
November 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Not a bad article IMO.

flip the coin and the kicker makes all the kicks, gets carried off the field... would we complain that he received too much credit, attention and accolades? Well, maybexrolleyesx but my point is that there are lots of reasons to play the game. Everyone wants (or should want) to be in position to make the play to save the day. There is always the risk of failure, otherwise there wouldn't be the thrill of success.

I doubt the article enlightened the kid to anything he didn't already know of feel. Hopefully the kicker will come out of this stronger and better off. Bless his heart...:o

james_lawfirm
November 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
OL FU:
What's with the new avatar? Not pulling for App? Say it ain't so.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
OL FU:
What's with the new avatar? Not pulling for App? Say it ain't so.

I think you'll find your answer here: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53085

Before all of my ASU friends think I have become a turncoat and full of sour grapes, even though, I am full of something, let me explain.

The first playoff game I ever attended happened to be in the first year the SoCon moved to I-AA and was FU against SC State which happens to be the last year that SC State made the playoffs. SC State won the game with relative ease and I wasn't very happy about it but I was happy that I made a life long friend who was an SC State fan. For the rest of my friends life we sat with each other every time Furman and SC State played. My friend isn't around any longer to see SC State back in the playoffs, but I wear the avatar out of respect for a friendship that lastest as long as was physically possible.

MY avatar no way disrepects my ASU friends or my SoCon roots but salutes my friend Ken.

With SC State back in the playoffs, my thoughts of him are with me even more than usual.

To my ASU friends , no offense intended.

As my friend citdog would say, I don't have a lot a friends but this fellow was one and he was certainly a good one

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the article.. he was painting a picture of what it is like to be a kicker, an outcast from the team.. if it was the quarterback who threw an interception it would be a completely different story.

wideright82
November 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the article.. he was painting a picture of what it is like to be a kicker, an outcast from the team.. if it was the quarterback who threw an interception it would be a completely different story.

HEY NOW!! I resent that remark! xlolx xsmiley_wix

(but true, oh so true) xbawlingx xlolx

MplsBison
November 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how ASU posters will cluck and crow in defense of one of their own.

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how ASU posters will cluck and crow in defense of one of their own.

I'm enjoying you much more in small doses

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM

It's amazing how little NDSU fans are posting now...

Excuse me for using logic, but don't most people defend their own? Do you think his article was classless and offensive? If so, please quote the parts. If not, I think your point is irrevelant and quite frankly, inept.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with his oped blog update.

There weren't any articles written due to the fact that there was not even an attempt at infusing outside perspective into the piece.

wideright82
November 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM

There weren't any articles written due to the fact that there was not even an attempt at infusing outside perspective into the piece.

Why exactly do you keep reiterating this point? If there is a reason you believe an article HAS to have an outside perspective, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DMUS&defl=en&q=define:article&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

that is a link to 28 different definitions of the word "article".

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I see. One statement, refuted, different statement, refuted, and so on. How many times do you have to be proven wrong? You suffer from low self-esteem or something? Did Alexale steal your thunder?

D1B
November 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, it was part about kicking miseries, a small part of a long article. What is he not going to mention the most notable from Saturday? He didn't attack the kid, far from it. He empathized with him. Then he went on to talk about two other important games with decisive kicks.

I apologize if this was already mentioned, but my problem with the article is that it misses the primary problem which is their coach failing to recruit a quality placekicker, one, and two, failing to have at least one person on the team, usually a punter, who can kick extra points, in the event of injury.

To me the coach should bear a majority of the blame for their kicking issues. It's not like this kid was good and all of a sudden lost his mojo. No, they failed to secure a quality kicker, a heinous coaching error that Coulson fails to mention. I have not heard the coach come out and support the kid or share blame either. Another problem, IMHO.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I would expect most people to defend one of their own. It's called loyalty. Sounds like you are giving ASU fans credit for having lots of it.

TCisMYhero
November 26th, 2008, 04:21 PM
It's amazing how little NDSU fans are posting now...

xthumbsupx

GrizFamily
November 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I would expect most people to defend one of their own. It's called loyalty. Sounds like you are giving ASU fans credit for having lots of it.

And what do you call fans that can only find fault with the program they supposedly support?

wideright82
November 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
And what do you call fans that can only find fault with the program they supposedly support?

xconfusedx..... multiple choice?

txst_wtc
November 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I read the article it wasnt too bad but i dont like any article that specifically calls out any college football player.

Ohh, and i blame the coach anyway. After my kicker misses two PATs, you have to put in the backup.

Skjellyfetti
November 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Ohh, and i blame the coach anyway. After my kicker misses two PATs, you have to put in the backup.

Or just go for two. With Cal Poly's offense it seems like they could have as high percentage gaining 3 yards as the kicker's extra point percentage.

Grizo406
November 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Its been posted countless times, and I just can't understand why folks don't understand...if you don't like what Coulson writes...don't read it! Key words here are DON'T READ IT!!

As a Griz fan, I enjoy what he writes. I may not agree with some of his stuff, but that doesn't dilute the talent that I think he has, and I clearly see it in his articles...whether I agree with them or not.

appstate1998
November 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Is it just me or do some people feel like their IQ drops just from reading some of the responses in this thread.

D1B
November 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Its been posted countless times, and I just can't understand why folks don't understand...if you don't like what Coulson writes...don't read it! Key words here are DON'T READ IT!!

As a Griz fan, I enjoy what he writes. I may not agree with some of his stuff, but that doesn't dilute the talent that I think he has, and I clearly see it in his articles...whether I agree with them or not.

He used poor judgement in this one. It's easy to blame a kid. It takes deeper knowledge of the subject matter to get it right. Here, the coach is to blame. Had all year to recruit and develop an extra point kicker, or two. He also had the opportunity to go for 2, three times, when they had Wisconsin on their heels. He didn't. That kid is a victim of poor coaching and poor coaching decisions.

I don't dispute Coulson's talent for writing. I do question his level of understanding of the game.

Saint3333
November 26th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Is it just me or do some people feel like their IQ drops just from reading some of the responses in this thread.

This thread...xsmiley_wix