PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hauck a possible candidate for FBS job

USDFAN_55
November 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
So Bobby Hauck is being mentioned around here in San Diego as a possible candidate for the open HC job at San Diego State. Is he a good choice? How do you Montana fans feel about that?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/aztecs/20081124-9999-1s24azsider.html

Proud Griz Man
November 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
So Bobby Hauck is being mentioned around here in San Diego as a possible candidate for the open HC job at San Diego State. Is he a good choice? How do you Montana fans feel about that?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/aztecs/20081124-9999-1s24azsider.html

xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex

uofmman1122
November 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
At the risk of being ruthlessly flamed, I actually like Bobby Hauck, and don't want him going anywhere.

Realistically, however, I don't see him actually leaving unless he wins the NC.

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 09:53 AM
He's a great coach. Not really my favorite guy but he can coach well. I wouldn't be too bummed to see him go as long as we had a killer replacement lined up. And if he didn't take his defensive coordinator.

I don't know if he'd go to SDSU though, he's normally on the list for a handful of FBS schools at the end of the year.

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
why would he leave a great place like montana to go to a place where nobody cares about their football team??? and play in a giant stadium that is 90% empty at least every week?

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
why would he leave a great place like montana to go to a place where nobody cares about their football team??? and play in a giant stadium that is 90% empty at least every week?

Because it's stable and makes a lot of money. Which these days matters more and more.

USDFAN_55
November 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM

The challenge of resurrecting a program. Plus, maybe he's ready for the beach life?

putter
November 25th, 2008, 10:12 AM
"salary of more than $700,000 annually was among the top half of coaches of the Mountain West Conference. So were those of defensive coordinator Bob Elliott ($194,000) and offensive coordinator Del Miller ($183,000). "

That right there gets a lot of coaches attention. Living in San Diego is another positive but you have to have the right fit. Joe Glenn left for Wyoming, which is a difficult place to recruit and play, for a bigger paycheck and an opportunity to turn a program around. Lasted 6 years.

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I hear Wyoming has an opening...

;D

The truth is SDSU is a terrible job, which is baffling to me considering geography and population base. I said when Chuck Long was hired that he made a mistake taking the position. SDSU's AD is fooling himself if he thinks a simple coaching change is going to turn that program around. They have larger, administration and school-related issues to fix before they can expect measurable success on the field.

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
While there is zero percent chance it would happen, wouldn't it be cool if in the same year, Hauck moved up and Glenn came back?

RationalGriz
November 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
gbhmt, I think Glenn burned too many bridges to be welcomed back at UM.

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
gbhmt, I think Glenn burned too many bridges to be welcomed back at UM.

He has, and that's why he'd never come back.

I'm just saying that I think it's be cool. He's an outstanding coach.

cmaxwellgsu
November 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Rumor has it that Wolfman has already sent his resume, video, and reserved a plane ticket for Hauck.

Green26
November 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think Glenn burned too many bridges when he left UM. There was a persistent rumor as to how he left his team, but the rumor was not accurate. I don't think Glenn would be rehired, tho.

Another negative for coaching at any San Diego area school is that housing prices are too high for assistants, and assistants tend to turnover fairly quickly.

Montanan
November 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
While there is zero percent chance it would happen, wouldn't it be cool if in the same year, Hauck moved up and Glenn came back?

HELL NO!

Kabooom
November 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM

In my opnion, Bobby Hauck has now matured ...into twice the coach Glenn ever thought of being...Joe Glenn is the nicest, most likeable coach I've ever met, where as Bobby Hauck is not...But as an over all Head Coach, along with his recruiting ability, Hauck is heads above Glenn. All Hauck does is win. Maybe not in the style that a great deal of Grizfans like,(He's no Don Read) but he and his staff get the job done. Look at Glenns recruits vs. Haucks recruits..Many of Joe's just didn't pan out..

When it comes to being an amdassador/Spokesperson for Montana football, Joe Glenn gets an A+.....Where as Bobby Hauck only get a B-..xsmhx ......xlolx ...but the game is a lot more than salesmanship and being nice and personable with Joe Public...

I like the hell outta Joe Glenn....but he does not hold a candle to Mr Hauck...as an over-all Head Coach..Again...imho..

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
In my opnion, Bobby Hauck has now matured ...into twice the coach Glenn ever thought of being...Joe Glenn is the nicest, most likeable coach I've ever met, where as Bobby Hauck is not...But as an over all Head Coach, along with his recruiting ability, Hauck is heads above Glenn. All Hauck does is win. Maybe not in the style that a great deal of Grizfans like,(He's no Don Read) but he and his staff get the job done. Look at Glenns recruits vs. Haucks recruits..Many of Joe's just didn't pan out..

When it comes to being an amdassador/Spokesperson for Montana football, Joe Glenn gets an A+.....Where as Bobby Hauck only get a B-..xsmhx ......xlolx ...but the game is a lot more than salesmanship and being nice and personable with Joe Public...

I like the hell outta Joe Glenn....but he does not hold a candle to Mr Hauck...as an over-all Head Coach..Again...imho..

I just think that Glenn was a better recruiter and had a better staff, at least on the offensive side.

I think the biggest thing Hauck's got on Glenn is his special teams coaching.

Stubbins
November 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
HELL NO!

second that

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Detroit Free Press has Hauck a strong candidate at Eastern Michigan. Read it in the airport the other day.

xnodx

malibudude
November 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Because it's stable and makes a lot of money. Which these days matters more and more.

San Diego dollars are worth a lot less than Montana dollars

Kabooom
November 25th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I just think that Glenn was a better recruiter and had a better staff, at least on the offensive side.

I think the biggest thing Hauck's got on Glenn is his special teams coaching.[/QUOTE]

Iv'e looked at quite a few of your posts, and ageed with most of them....You seem quite knowledgable...However we are 180 Degrees different on Glenns teams Defense which I thought saved the Grizzlies offense many times.... I thought the best coaching on his staff was that of Defensive Coach Mike Breske...Thought Breske's defensive style of play, and perfomance-wise... was the Shining star of the Grizzlies Team....Of course then there was evander Segars...So tough and elusive.. imho..

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hauck obviously isn't a bad coach (his record speaks for itself) but, he does need to do something about the OC. We have too much talent on that side of the ball to struggle like we do in the playoffs. xtwocentsx

Stubbins
November 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM

I get frustrated with Bobby sometimes...but he is by far a better recruiter than JG...and a far better coach. As far as offensive playcalling...it is a tie, both boring as hell.

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Both SDSU and Eastern Michigan would be a step down. He will be able to get a Pac 10 job if he holds out long enough and keeps winning at Montana.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Both SDSU and Eastern Michigan would be a step down. He will be able to get a Pac 10 job if he holds out long enough and keeps winning at Montana.

I totally agree - Hauck is an upward motivation type of guy. I can't see him going to any mid-major FBS school like EMU or SDSU, although I wouldn't be surprised if he took a job somewhere in the Mountain West. Definitely not the MAC though.

Ronbo
November 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Brian Kelly went from Grand Valley to the MAC, Central Michigan for 3 years. Then Cinncinati for 2 years, now he's being mentioned for some huge BCS jobs. That's a pretty fast track to the BCS from DII through the MAC.

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Brian Kelly went from Grand Valley to the MAC, Central Michigan for 3 years. Then Cinncinati for 2 years, now he's being mentioned for some huge BCS jobs. That's a pretty fast track to the BCS from DII through the MAC.

Hauck could do that. Jobs like EMU and SDSU are dead ends and he knows it.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Ideally Mike Bellotti gets fired at Oregon - Chris Peterson comes to Oregon from Boise State - and Bobby goes to Boise xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM

How is it more stable? If anything, Griz coachs have found how unstable leaving UM can be

KNUTS
November 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Bobby's as a coach is outstanding when you consider we won't sneak up on anybody and our conference circles the game against the Griz every week. I think he gets a bad rap on his outgoingness, sure he's nothing like his brother Tim, but he has had to endure for sale signs in his front yard and messages from irrate Griz fans about his coaching and his staff. I hate to see him go, but hope he finds the right fit so he can progress his career.

I have forgiven Joe and would welcome him back with open arms. I think that he really does care about Montana. It's kind of like when you want to break up with a chick but it's to hard so you just start ignoring her and acting like an A-hole so she'll break up with you.

USDFAN_55
November 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Many consider the MWC better than the Pac-10 this year. Utah, BYU, and TCU are all pretty good schools in the MWC. The Pac-10 has USC, and then the rest.xnodx

veinup
November 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I don't want Bobby gone. Stay Bobby, stay.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I don't want Bobby gone. Stay Bobby, stay.

If we win the next two games I will be with you. I disliked him the first couple years because of this reason or that reason but as of late I am looking around the conference and I think he is doing a very good job. With any coach there is always something to improve on but he seems to put a lot of effort into each game and it is showing, especially this year.

griz37
November 25th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Detroit Free Press has Hauck a strong candidate at Eastern Michigan. Read it in the airport the other day.

xnodx

He would have to be pretty desperate to take that crap-hole dead end job.

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM

I remember hearing this about Mangino when he left OU.

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Many consider the MWC better than the Pac-10 this year. Utah, BYU, and TCU are all pretty good schools in the MWC. The Pac-10 has USC, and then the rest.xnodx

Because Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Arizona State, and Washington do nothing year in and year out.

mtgrizfankb
November 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM
i want him to stay here and after how much FUN he has had and says he is having with this football team. this team being as young as it is.... i see him sticking around here for a few more years. this year is the first year he has really showed that he loves this team and he is having a blast

JALMOND
November 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Ideally Mike Bellotti gets fired at Oregon - Chris Peterson comes to Oregon from Boise State - and Bobby goes to Boise xthumbsupx

Can't see Bellotti getting fired after this season, if he has lasted this long. But Duck fans are fickle indeed.

JALMOND
November 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Wasn't that long ago that SDSU drew as many fans there as the Chargers did. Still, the SoCal recruiting market is pretty saturated with the Pac-10 and the upper Mountain West teams recruiting there. Whoever gets it will need to somehow keep the San Diego kids from going to LA, Phoenix and SLC.

GrizRchattybound
November 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
It is going to take a Washington or a Utah type job or "maybe" a BSU type job for him to make a move as a HC.

Personally, I think he would do better maintaining a program, than building a program, based on his personality and reputation.

He's not a big sugarcoat or PR/Politician type guy that is often required to maintain a job at one of those dead end or rebuilding type jobs.

He is young, and has a very good "deal" going in Montana, I believe more than just his base. I am not going to be surprised to see him there for the next 5-10 years and win a few flags.