PDA

View Full Version : If this was 2010

alexale23
November 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
in 2010 4 more team will be added to the playoffs. If this was 2010 which four do you think would be in

1.william and mary
2.liberty
3.Elon
4.Jax St. or Mcneese.

What u guys think

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
in 2010 4 more team will be added to the playoffs. If this was 2010 which four do you think would be in

1.william and mary
2.liberty
3.Elon
4.Jax St. or Mcneese.

What u guys think

William & Mary
Delaware
Towson
URI

The New World Order

UNIFanSince1983
November 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Well I think Liberty and Albany would have to be in.

darussian12
November 24th, 2008, 11:24 PM
so how the heck are the brackets going to work...the numbers dont add up to 2 being left at the end...even thinking maybe the 4 seeded teams get a bye round one that still is 12 teams after round 1...whats the format going to be

MountaineerGuy
November 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM
As much as I'd like to see more SoCon representation...Elon didn't pull off any big wins when it really counted...I can't say I think they deserve a spot.

alexale23
November 24th, 2008, 11:26 PM
only way i see it with 20 teams 5 rounds top 4 seeds get bye. I really dont like the fact that if you are not a top 4 seeds you prolly will have 5 rounds to play. At least you will have 3 or 4 weeks in between the semis and the final to get healthy.

darussian12
November 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
the math still doesnt work with bye for top 4...because that leaves 12 teams after rnd 1..then 6....then 3 :-(

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I could be wrong but dont the top 8 or something get byes in the new format?

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I think its 12 byes 8 teams play week one 4 advance and thena 16 team field.

alexale23
November 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
u right maybe they will have 4 sub bracket of 4 teams each with 1 play in game for the worst teams.

T-Dog
November 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I could be wrong but dont the top 8 or something get byes in the new format?

That would be in a 24-team playoff.

I think either four teams get byes or sixteen teams get byes (or to put it another way, four teams have to play opening round games).

EDIT: Or what you said in your next post before I could post this. :p

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
8 team play in

darussian12
November 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
cause yeah it all have to be reducable to 2 at some point...thats why my brother was like how the heck is the format going to work...we would have to go to 32 team playoff and i knew it wasnt that.

FargoBison
November 25th, 2008, 01:17 AM
If it was 2010 it would look something like this...

AutoBids
Big Sky- Weber State
Big South- Liberty
CAA- JMU
MEAC- South Carolina State
MVFC- SIU
NEC- Albany
OVC- EKU
Patriot- Colgate
SoCon- App State
SLC- Texas State

At-Large Bids
Wofford
UNI
Montana
Cal Poly
Villanova
UNH
Richmond
William and Mary
Maine
Jacksonville State

Bracket
1.JMU
vs winner of Colgate at Maine

Wofford at Villanova

2.App State
vs winner of Liberty at SCSU

EKU at Richmond

3.Montana
vs winner of Jacksonville State at Texas State

Weber State at Cal Poly

4.UNI
vs winner of Albany at William and Mary

UNH at SIU

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Fargo,

NC$$ economics would result in these match-ups:

Colgate-Albany
W&M-Liberty

Probably even Jax St.-SCSU (my SWAG says < 400 miles)

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM
FargoBison's post made me question:

Will the mandate against conference opponents apply only to the play-in games (the "First Round") or also to the round of 16? Does anybody know?

danefan
November 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
FargoBison's post made me question:

Will the mandate against conference opponents apply only to the play-in games (the "First Round") or also to the round of 16? Does anybody know?

Hasn't been discussed that I know of, but I couldn't make a bracket to get non-CAA teams matched up in the First Round. (2nd week).

GGASU
November 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
The committee told us who the next 4 would have been...

--------------
McCutcheon said the hardest part of the selection process was picking which team received the final at-large bid. He said the committee met for two hours Saturday night and an hour Sunday morning discussing which of the final five teams on its list — Maine, Elon, William & Mary, Liberty and Jacksonville State — received the bid. It eventually went to Maine.

-------------------------------

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM
In 2010 everyone will see that those next four spots will go to a third Big Sky team, A Second OVC team, Maybe 1 more CCA team and maybe and just maybe some wild card team from another league

BEAR
November 25th, 2008, 09:35 AM

AutoBids
Big Sky- Weber State
Big South- Liberty
CAA- JMU
MVFC- SIU
NEC- Albany
OVC- EKU
Patriot- Colgate
SoCon- App State
SLC- Central Arkansas (first year they will be eligible, so Texas State would have stayed home..if it was 2010)

At-Large Bids
Wofford
UNI
Montana
Cal Poly
Villanova
UNH
Richmond
William and Mary
Maine
Jacksonville State

Bracket
1.JMU

Wofford at Villanova

2.App State

EKU at Richmond

3.Montana
vs winner of Jacksonville State at Central Arkansas

Weber State at Cal Poly

4.UNI

UNH at SIU

ADD Central Arkansas..not Texas State. UCA would have been conference champions and the autobid receivers. xthumbsupx

danefan
November 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
The committee told us who the next 4 would have been...

--------------
McCutcheon said the hardest part of the selection process was picking which team received the final at-large bid. He said the committee met for two hours Saturday night and an hour Sunday morning discussing which of the final five teams on its list — Maine, Elon, William & Mary, Liberty and Jacksonville State — received the bid. It eventually went to Maine.

-------------------------------

No they didn't. One of those teams would have been left out because of Albany's AQ.

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
The committee told us who the next 4 would have been... /snip/ final five teams on its list — Maine, Elon, William & Mary, Liberty and Jacksonville State[/B] — received the bid. It eventually went to Maine.

The difference is that in 2010, the NEC & Big South will have AQ spots so Liberty and Albany would automatically get in. That means two of the people on your list would be left out.

gofurman
November 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
the math still doesnt work with bye for top 4...because that leaves 12 teams after rnd 1..then 6....then 3 :-(

probably already posted but I am not going to look back...
math would dictate 8 teams play in first week eliminating 4 and thus leaving 16 (4 winners + 12 teams that got a bye). The neat thing is this would mean the committee essentially HAS to give a seed to the teams to determine who the bottom 8 are. My question would be could an automatic qualifier from a conference that is weak be given one of these lower 8 seeds and no bye? I bet they won't do that but honestly I think some league winners are NOT top 12 - Colgate, for example. Fine program but my 7-5 Paladins beat them 42-21 AT Colgate. I guess we will have to wait and see

danefan
November 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
probably already posted but I am not going to look back...
math would dictate 8 teams play in first week eliminating 4 and thus leaving 16 (4 winners + 12 teams that got a bye). The neat thing is this would mean the committee essentially HAS to give a seed to the teams to determine who the bottom 8 are. My question would be could an automatic qualifier from a conference that is weak be given one of these lower 8 seeds and no bye? I bet they won't do that but honestly I think some league winners are NOT top 12 - Colgate, for example. Fine program but my 7-5 Paladins beat them 42-21 AT Colgate. I guess we will have to wait and see

You will absolutely see most of the AQ teams in the opening round. You're likely to see these conferences have semi-permanent games on Thanksgiving weekend:

NEC
Big South
MEAC
Patriot
OVC
SLC

Its not very often the winner of those conferences is a top 12 team. It is likely the SLC winner will have less opening round games as McNeese has had some good season and been highly ranked with a seed.

Saint3333
November 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The only advantage to 20 teams is that is could screw up this regionalization crap once it gets down to 16 teams and the second round pairings will be better than the first rounds pairing are now.

Cleets
November 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hofstra
Massachusetts
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Towson
William and Mary

xwhistlex

danefan
November 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Hofstra
Massachusetts
Northeastern
Rhode Island
Towson
William and Mary

xwhistlex

Yeah and maybe by 2010 Harvard will have beaten other Ivy and PL teams enough to be ranked 5th.... ;):D

alexale23
November 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
So if this was 2010

1.Liberty--AQ
2.Albany--AQ
3.William and mary
4.Elon

Does that sound right to you guys

danefan
November 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
So if this was 2010

1.Liberty--AQ
2.Albany--AQ
3.William and mary
4.Elon

Does that sound right to you guys

Yes, sounds right to me. Elon could be interchangeable with Jacksonville State though. You'll see the same argument for the 20th spot as we see for the 16th.

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM

AutoBids
Big Sky- Weber State
Big South- Liberty
CAA- JMU
MVFC- SIU
NEC- Albany
OVC- EKU
Patriot- Colgate
SoCon- App State
SLC- Texas State

At-Large Bids
Wofford
UNI
Montana
Cal Poly
Villanova
UNH
Richmond
William and Mary
Maine
Jacksonville State

Bracket
1.JMU

Wofford at Villanova

2.App State

EKU at Richmond

3.Montana
vs winner of Jacksonville State at Texas State

Weber State at Cal Poly

4.UNI

UNH at SIU

Why would we be the #4 instead of the #3? We maybe shouldn't have been #3 anyways, but why would more teams in move us down?

Seven Would Be Nice
November 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
If it was 2010 we wouldn't be 6-5 :D

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
If it was 2010 we wouldn't be 6-5 :D

I think you're right. Most people consider this your high water mark. :D :p

FargoBison
November 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Why would we be the #4 instead of the #3? We maybe shouldn't have been #3 anyways, but why would more teams in move us down?

I forgot to update that part, but the bracket wouldn't change, you would just host Montana if you guys met up.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM
In the new 20-team bracket, App State gets a bye to the championship game and all qualifying CAA teams are placed into one bracket of 8.

SideLine Shooter
November 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I think they need to put all teams in the playoff and then we could have football ALL YEAR!!!!!!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
In the new 20-team bracket, App State gets a bye to the championship game and all qualifying CAA teams are placed into one bracket of 8.

Heck yeah, I'd go for that!

UD97HENS
November 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I think it is going to get more confusing then the BCS series....no need to add more teams. If you can't make the current cut then you are out...point blank! Hell if that's the case..they might as well say..ok...It's a new season folks, basically what we are gonna do is have a Round-Robin/Double Elim tourney. You lose twice..you are out. The last team standing without 2 losses wins the Championship. You start off with the Top seed from the previous year vs. the lowest and so on. Remember when we were all younger...you had what...2-3 bowl games...now it's like 20!! The FCS is turning into the BCS.

Saint3333
November 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I think it is going to get more confusing then the BCS series....no need to add more teams. If you can't make the current cut then you are out...point blank! Hell if that's the case..they might as well say..ok...It's a new season folks, basically what we are gonna do is have a Round-Robin/Double Elim tourney. You lose twice..you are out. The last team standing without 2 losses wins the Championship. You start off with the Top seed from the previous year vs. the lowest and so on. Remember when we were all younger...you had what...2-3 bowl games...now it's like 20!! The FCS is turning into the BCS.

Better make that 30+. The BCS and FCS are turning into little league where everyone needs to be rewarded for an average year instead of keeping it an accomplishment to make the postseason. In 2016 when 24 or even 32 team are in the field and a winning season (6-5) gets you into the playoffs it will be cheapened IMO. :pumpuke:

UD97HENS
November 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Yah they will end up saying...sorry guys you didn't make the cut....but Hey..here is a one foot tall trophy that you can ship back to mommy and daddy so they can put it on the mantle Reading: FCS Tournament- Thank you for your particpation. Now it's everyone to the concession stand for ice cream cones and Pepsi..lol

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Yah they will end up saying...sorry guys you didn't make the cut....but Hey..here is a one foot tall trophy that you can ship back to mommy and daddy so they can put it on the mantle Reading: FCS Tournament- Thank you for your particpation. Now it's everyone to the concession stand for ice cream cones and Pepsi..lol

We could call it the "C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence".

UD97HENS
November 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
lol