PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Runningbacks

CSN-info
November 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
College Sporting News

The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We will be finishing the lists this week and we hope you enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

griz37
November 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
No Yohance Humphrey? It's hard to take these lists seriously when you leave out some of the all time greats.

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
No Yohance Humphrey? It's hard to take these lists seriously when you leave out some of the all time greats.

Just wait for the QB list, I bet Dickenson will be nowhere to be found.

ezgriz51
November 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Another Griz whiner here. Dan Carpenter? Tim Hauck?xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
It's Westbrook and AP and then everyone else. Nobody else has put together a similar body of work at the FCS level. And Westbrook was an All-Pro last year, not sure what All-NFL means.

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Another Griz whiner here. Dan Carpenter? Tim Hauck?This is a runningback list and Humphrey is... well, not on it. Make a case for him over one on the list.

Okay, I looked and he is nowhere in the NCAA record books griz37. He is the Griz' all-time leader but c'mon, an all-time great? You got some 'splaining to do.

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hurray for Colgate's reps: Kenny Gamble and Jamaal Branch xhurrayx xhurrayx

griz37
November 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM
This is a runningback list and Humphrey is... well, not on it. Make a case for him over one on the list.

Okay, I looked and he is nowhere in the NCAA record books griz37. He is the Griz' all-time leader but c'mon, an all-time great? You got some 'splaining to do.

You're right, if he didn't set at least 1 all time record he couldn't possibly be one of the top 30 backs.

bshgriz
November 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
This is a runningback list and Humphrey is... well, not on it. Make a case for him over one on the list.

I would've never guessed you would think a Griz isn't deserving.xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 10:45 PM
You're right, if he didn't set at least 1 all time record he couldn't possibly be one of the top 30 backs.He was nowhere! Nowhere! The record books list the top 30 and more in every category.

ANY OTHER BACKS LEFT OFF? I was wondering about Marcell Shipp as one. Shipp was a top back for several years with many honors, plus had a very good pro career.

bshgriz
November 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
He was nowhere! Nowhere! The record books list the top 30 and more in every category.

You can't make a case for you calling him an "all-time great"? Guess that says a lot.Ah yes, the famous fan smack. xrolleyesx I know I know. Everyone hates the Griz. Everyone has Griz envy. xrolleyesx If you guys want to post on the discussion board then at least bring something more substantive than "nyah nyah".

ANY OTHER BACKS LEFT OFF? I was wondering about Marcell Shipp as one. Shipp was a top back for several years with many honors, plus had a very good pro career.

Nope just from you...Guess the west just can't have any talent compared to you East Coast boys.xthumbsupx

McNeese75
November 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Looks like a pretty good list to me

McNeese72
November 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Rest in Peace, Henry Fields.

The McNeese fans don't care if you made this list or not. We know the quality runningback and more importantly the quality guy you were.

McNeese State all-time rushing leader Henry Fields passes away (http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22000&ATCLID=1626981)

Doc

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Nope just from you...Guess the west just can't have any talent compared to you East Coast boys.xthumbsupxI didn't make the list GENIUS.

711.47 miles as the crow flies to the east coast. 1343.3 to Missoula. 395.4 from Missoula to the west coast.

You are confused. This is called the MidWest.

Is it possible you can add ANYTHING to this thread newbie? xconfusedx

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Rest in Peace, Henry Fields.

The McNeese fans don't care if you made this list or not. We know the quality runningback and more importantly the quality guy you were.

McNeese State all-time rushing leader Henry Fields passes away (http://www.mcneesesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22000&ATCLID=1626981)

DocThanks Doc! xbowx
He played for the Cowboys from 1992 to 1995 when he rushed for 4,358 yards to set the school record. That total also still ranks as the third leading total by any Louisiana collegiate running back. His career rushes of 839 is also a school record.http://www.mcneesesports.com//pics24/640/LG/LGSPMNULDCVIWEV.20081117185709.jpg

SactoHornetFan
November 24th, 2008, 11:49 PM
It's Westbrook and AP and then everyone else. Nobody else has put together a similar body of work at the FCS level. And Westbrook was an All-Pro last year, not sure what All-NFL means.

Ahem, Charles Roberts!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm a little surprised Rabih Abdullah from Lehigh, Clifton Dawson of Harvard and Keith Elias of Princeton didn't make it.

Maroon&White
November 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm more than a little surprised Marcel Shipp didn't make it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Another one deffinately.

luflame15
November 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Rashad Jennings and Samkon Gado are definitely two running backs to be considered.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Also where are they going to have Gordie Lockbaum? He's one of the greatest 1-AA players of all-time regardless of position. His name hasn't popped up yet.

Brad82
November 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Mark Van Eeghan-Colgate
Marv Hubbard -Colgate
Paul Lewis-BU

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM
was hoping to see settle and richardson but i will take just k rich... what a stud...

Cobblestone
November 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Mark Van Eeghan-Colgate
Marv Hubbard -ColgatePaul Lewis-BU

"Van" was in the NFL in 1978.

Hubbard was retired by 1978.

I'm also surprised to see that Lewis wasn't on the list.

Cobblestone
November 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I thought Gordie Lockbaum (Holy Cross late 80's) would make the top 30 RB list.

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'm a little surprised Rabih Abdullah from Lehigh, Clifton Dawson of Harvard and Keith Elias of Princeton didn't make it.

Also where are they going to have Gordie Lockbaum? He's one of the greatest 1-AA players of all-time regardless of position. His name hasn't popped up yet.

Agree with both of the above posts. And what about Ed Marinaro of Cornell? To include Jim Finn in the list -- just because he was "Mr. Irrelevant" one year -- as the Ivy rep is a flat-out joke.

Cobblestone
November 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Mark VanEghan?

READ the title of the thread!

1978 - 2008.

I mentioned in a previous post that Van Eeghan was in the NFL in 1978 THUS he would not be eligible for this list.

Milo
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I realize it is probably greedy wanting another App RB with Kevin Richardson already on the list, but John Settle deserves some mention.

When he graduated he was 3rd all time in 1-AA yards, 2 time All-American...made it to a Pro Bowl as free agent pickup with the Falcons. And was named to an All-Madden team:) ...

BeauFoster
November 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I realize it is probably greedy wanting another App RB with Kevin Richardson already on the list, but John Settle deserves some mention.

When he graduated he was 3rd all time in 1-AA yards, 2 time All-American...made it to a Pro Bowl as free agent pickup with the Falcons. And was named to an All-Madden team:) ...

What he said...

andy7171
November 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
#6! Towson State Representin'!!!

MaroonDoom
November 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Elroy Harris was the man for EKU (I miss the Family Dog days!). Then came Markus Thomas= 5149 rushing yards, 322 points. Both still OVC records.

leatherneck177
November 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Aaron Stecker?

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
These list are PURE JOKES... I cant stand them... how the hell does a 1 year FCS player make the top twenty in brandon Jacobs. These top thirty list are the worse

stevdock
November 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
These list are PURE JOKES... I cant stand them... how the hell does a 1 year FCS player make the top twenty in brandon Jacobs. These top thirty list are the worse

I was wondering the exact same thing. Most of these players on the list came well before we joined the FCS so I had no interest, except for maybe watching how Montana did. So when I heard Brandon Jacobs came out of SIU I excepted to see his dominant stats for multiple years. I was disappointed to see it was only one. And even at that, I would guess many FCS RB's had better stats in one year than Jacobs did. For example, I'm pretty sure Tyler Roehl's stats from last year would at least equal his if not exceed. I'm sure that others throughout FCS could say the same thing.

Anovafan
November 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Ahem, Charles Roberts!!!

Gimme some stats....Westbrook's and AP's are pretty gaudy. And if he was so great, why is he in the CFL and not the NFL?

biobengal
November 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I don't intend to sound like all of you partisan whiners but... xsmiley_wix ... Hoge at 18 is low. IMO. xwhistlex

skinny_uncle
November 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Jacobs is putting together a good NFL career and does have a Super Bowl Ring. The year he was at SIU, he had 19 TDs mostly as a second option behind Arkee Whitlock.

Go...gate
November 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Nice to see Joe Delaney. Truly a special person.

jlcharles
November 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I don't intend to sound like all of you partisan whiners but... xsmiley_wix ... Hoge at 18 is low. IMO. xwhistlex

Hoge should be banned from all lists for his level of doucheness.

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM

I have to agree with that. I'm not sure why Brandon Jacobs was on the list. The guy only had one year's worth of statistics on the I-AA level and he wasn't even a Walter Payton finalist that year.

When you make a list like this you need to look at it in a vacuum and only take into account what they did on the college level. The only reason that guys like Brandon Jacobs and Terrell Owens make these lists is because of what they've done in the NFL...it's a joke.

It's like when you're sitting around talking about great college football players and some moron says, "YEAH BUT HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING IN THE NFL!"....that's not the freaking point! When talking about "great college football players" it doesn't matter what the guy did AFTER college.

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Gimme some stats....Westbrook's and AP's are pretty gaudy. And if he was so great, why is he in the CFL and not the NFL?

A lot of great players end up in the CFL...I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick. It really doesn't have anything to do with how good of a college football player he was...

GannonFan
November 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
No Omar Cuff - the quality of the lists continue to fall. xsmhx

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
No Omar Cuff - the quality of the lists continue to fall. xsmhx

That's a pretty glaring omission, IMO...

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM

You guys didn't hear? Brandon Jacobs was a WAYYYYY better football player than Omar Cuff xrolleyesx

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
You guys didn't hear? Brandon Jacobs was a WAYYYYY better football player than Omar Cuff xrolleyesx

and john settle??? xrolleyesx

absurd...

art vandelay
November 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM

i was thinking the same with Cliff Cawson. He was with the Colts last year and was seeing some PT, I'm assuming he still is. also Tim Hightower wasnt on the list and he is a starter for Arizona.

Retro
November 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I have to agree with that. I'm not sure why Brandon Jacobs was on the list. The guy only had one year's worth of statistics on the I-AA level and he wasn't even a Walter Payton finalist that year.

When you make a list like this you need to look at it in a vacuum and only take into account what they did on the college level. The only reason that guys like Brandon Jacobs and Terrell Owens make these lists is because of what they've done in the NFL...it's a joke.

It's like when you're sitting around talking about great college football players and some moron says, "YEAH BUT HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING IN THE NFL!"....that's not the freaking point! When talking about "great college football players" it doesn't matter what the guy did AFTER college.

DITTO!! These list's have no real credibility!

GannonFan
November 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM

There's at least 10 easy ones that Cuff could replace on that list - I mean, the guy did have 4364 yards rushing for a career, 1256 yards receiving, and scored 65 rushing TD's and 8 receiving TD's, and of the 4 years he played he was injured and missed half a year twice. Glaring omission to say the least.

Stang Fever
November 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I read these list and just start laughing... because for someone to publish this and not be FIRED is sad. I like Brandon Jacobs too... Great Fantasy football player but 1000000000% NOT one of FCS best running backs of all times

if you are going to talk about single season then Ryan Fuqua from Portland State has to be mentioned and several others that slip my mind.

blueballs
November 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Elroy Harris was the man for EKU (I miss the Family Dog days!). Then came Markus Thomas= 5149 rushing yards, 322 points. Both still OVC records.

I knew Elroy from high school at Winter Park High here in Central FL. His position coach at Winter Park was Tom Munsey, who is Brett Munsey's (Arena Bowl winning coach) dad. I saw them both a couple of weeks ago.

Elroy was a great player and a good guy too.

blueballs
November 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
There are a lot of great backs left off the list, but the list is only 30 so somebody had to get left off.

You could add Jermaine Austin of GSU to the list too... he had over 5000 career rushing yards.

They did get it right with Peterson and Westbrook being the top two though. It is worth remembering that the eye popping numbers credited to those two DO NOT include playoff numbers... if you level the field and include playoffs Peterson's totals go to around 9000 yards rushing and over 100 TD's.

BULLDOG8180
November 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Good to see my man Stump Mitchell and Travis Jervey on the list.
Stump still is the St.Louis/Arizona Cardinals all-time, all-purpose yardage leader.

Travis Jervey was simply the "fastest white boy" I ever saw!xeekx xeekx xeekx

UMass922
November 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Are people not reading the introductory blurb? "[T]his is a sampling of the talent this level of football has produced." It's not intended to be a list based purely on college accomplishments--or purely on pro accomplishments, for that matter. The lists are a nice mix, and I've had fun reading them.

UMass922
November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM

As am I. I guess he gets overshadowed having played at the same time as AP and Westbrook.

Eagle22
November 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Another 'vote' for Marcel Shipp from me. Aaron Stecker was a good one as well, but like Jacobs was a transfer.

Agree with someone else's mention of John Settle.

Only name I have to contribute that I haven't seen mentioned is VMI's Thomas Haskins.

That guy was good and played on some AWFUL VMI teams .. and played several years in the CFL if I'm not mistaken.

Brad82
November 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Tim Hightower

Sir William
November 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
? Stanford Jennings - Furman
? John Settle - App State

?????

The list is bogus.

Tod
November 25th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Yes it is. I'm a bit disappointed that you and I are the only ones who seem to have noticed this special man.

Anybody have more info on him?

If so, please PM me the link, I don't have as much time as I used to and might miss it.

:) :(

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM

A lot of great players end up in the CFL...I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick. It really doesn't have anything to do with how good of a college football player he was...

True GATA, I think he has well over 10,000 yds in the CFL but as far as college ball the guy was a one man crew. He was very Barry Sanders like. I think he still has the single game rushing record at 409 yds.
http://articles.latimes.com/1999/nov/07/sports/sp-31090

Charles Roberts finished his career at Sac State with something like 6200-6300 yds. Ron Dayne has more yds. now but CR was the record holder for rushing before that I think. Below is a snippet from his CFL page on his college career:

The leading rusher in NCAA Division I history originally became a Winnipeg Blue Bomber when he inked a pact with the CFL club May 22, 2001. Roberts is a U.S. college football legend. During his time with the Hornets, Roberts set or tied nine NCAA I-AA records, 13 Big Sky Conference records and 27 Sacramento State records. Roberts accomplished so much during his college career that it is embarrassing to try and describe it all. Among the highlights is the NCAA single-game rushing record of 409 yards versus Idaho State, Nov. 6, 1999. That performance won Roberts several honors and represents the first and only time a college running back has exceeded 400 yards rushing in a game since the NCAA began recording statistics in 1937.

Old Cat Fan
November 26th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Number 21 on the list is Gill Fenerty: Saturday in the UNH-Maine game thread when Holycross was brought up. I posted that in the early 80's had a chance to see him in person and he was an outstanding back. along with Fenerty I also had the pleasure of seeing Westbrook and of course Jerry Azumah in person xthumbsupx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Fenerty

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/286287.jpg

Old Cat Fan
November 26th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Number 21 on the list is Gill Fenerty: Saturday in the UNH-Maine game thread when Holycross was brought up. I posted that in the early 80's had the opportunity to see him in person and he was an outstanding back, along with Fenerty I also had the pleasure of seeing Westbrook and of course Jerry Azumah in person not a bad backfield xthumbsupx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Fenerty

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/286287.jpg

Dallas Demon
November 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM

Phonenomal athlete and incredible person. He died trying to save 3 boys even though he couldn't swim. If anyone doesn't know the story of Joe Delaney, do a search on Google for "Joe Delaney" and read, but bring some tissues to wipe the tears away. He was one of those guys that would do anything for anybody and would be the last to tell you he was a star.

From Wikipedia:

In the Chiefs' October 18, 1981 game against the Denver Broncos, Delaney broke loose for a 75-yard touchdown run, but an offside penalty caused the play to be re-started from five yards back. On the second play after the penalty, Delaney scored an 82-yard touchdown, the longest rushing play from scrimmage in the 1981 NFL season.

Dallas Demon
November 26th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Yes it is. I'm a bit disappointed that you and I are the only ones who seem to have noticed this special man.

Anybody have more info on him?

If so, please PM me the link, I don't have as much time as I used to and might miss it.

:) :(

Hopefully people won't forget Joe, a true hero. As mentioned, do a Google search for "Joe Delaney". Lots to read. Along with being a star for the Chiefs, he was untouchable while playing for Northwestern. He ran for 299 yards against Nicholls St. one game, and 252 against high-scoring Portland St. with Neil Lomax at QB and Clint Didier at receiver.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/rick_reilly/news/2003/07/01/reilly0707/

From Wikipedia:

On October 28, 1978, Delaney carried the ball 28 times and gained 299 yards for Northwestern State against Nicholls State University with 263 of the yards coming in the game's second half. Delaney's rushing stats in the second half of the game are an NCAA record. In the same game, he scored four touchdowns, one on a 90-yard run, and led his team to a 28-18 victory.

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
finally.. a list i can agree with.. i do think that AP and Brian Westbrook are pretty much interchangeable though

Demonguy
November 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Love the fact that the Demons have the #3 and #5 guys on this list...that's awesome!

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM
what position are they gonna put gordie lockbaum in at?

NSUDemon98
December 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hopefully people won't forget Joe, a true hero. As mentioned, do a Google search for "Joe Delaney". Lots to read. Along with being a star for the Chiefs, he was untouchable while playing for Northwestern. He ran for 299 yards against Nicholls St. one game, and 252 against high-scoring Portland St. with Neil Lomax at QB and Clint Didier at receiver.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/rick_reilly/news/2003/07/01/reilly0707/

From Wikipedia:

On October 28, 1978, Delaney carried the ball 28 times and gained 299 yards for Northwestern State against Nicholls State University with 263 of the yards coming in the game's second half. Delaney's rushing stats in the second half of the game are an NCAA record. In the same game, he scored four touchdowns, one on a 90-yard run, and led his team to a 28-18 victory.

Don't forget that Joe was also a member of the 400 meter relay team that beat LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, etc. to win the NCAA championship. That team also included Mark "Super" Duper who played WR for the Dolphins and also Victor Oatis.

grizzpaw
December 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
these lists seam to to be more about what they did AFTER collage not during

spiderman87
December 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
perhaps a little love for Tim Hightower...I think he deserves a spot on that list

ngineer
December 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think Lehigh's Rabih Abdullah should have made the list. The complete package with speed and power as well as good hands. 3,396 yards rushing and had more than a cup of coffee in the NFL.

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM

From Wikipedia:

I remember seeing him play in the NFL, and I remember when he died. Just thinking about it brings a tear to my eye.

Hero is a term that is used too much when describing athletes, but Joe Delaney was a hero.

Glad to see him high on this list, he should not be forgotten.