PDA

View Full Version : Final Big Sky Power Rankings

JALMOND
November 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
As quick as it began, now it is over. Here are the final power rankings (according to myself) in the Big Sky conference for the 2008 season. All are solely my opinion and all are open for discussion. This week, (last week)...

1. Montana Grizzlies (2)---Some rebuilding year. This was the year the streak was to come to an end, done in by either Eastern Washington or Weber State. Yet once again, there are the Grizzlies with a share of the conference title. Will this dynasty ever end?

2. Weber State Wildcats (1)---Heartbreak disguised as Eastern Washington hit the Wildcats the last game of the season, and what seemed like the title was theirs alone, in the end they have to share it with Montana. Still, it is quite difficult to go through the whole conference undefeated and the Wildcats will continue on.

3. Eastern Washington Eagles (5)---A little to late, but how about salvaging what could have been a disastrous season with three straight wins to end it, including over Northern Arizona and eventual conference co-champion Weber State. Oh, what could have been.

4. Montana State Bobcats (3)---Looking forward to slightly derailing Montana's season, it was the Bobcats that got derailed themselves. Injuries were the main culprit all year, yet the Bobcats came in to Missoula with a chance to end in a tie for second. Yet, the injuries were too much to overcome.

5. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (6)---Took the final week off and took advantage of some miscues from teams above them. Still, four straight losses at the end marred a possibly special season. Got some work to do for next year.

6. Sacramento State Hornets (4)---The last game of the year and the Hornets gave Idaho State their first and only win. A minor setback compared to what all they did. A very improved team that should make some noise next year.

7. Portland State Vikings (7)---They held on for a victory against Northern Colorado to end an up and down year, one that saw them go winless on the road, yet only lose to Montana at home. The youth of the team showed many times, but there were bright spots here and there.

8. Northern Colorado Bears (8)---One bright spot for the year was that the Bears were competitive most of the games they played. With the exception of a couple games, the Bears had chances to win late, some going down to the final gun. A good step forward for this team.

9. Idaho State Bengals (9)---They finally get their win which means they will enter next season on a winning streak as opposed to losing. As with Weber State finding it difficult to go through the year undefeated, it is equally as challenging to go through conference play without a win. This win will bring them closer to the rest of the conference and install confidence for next year.

So there you have it. To put a wrap on the rankings for the year, thanks to all of you who do read my ramblings on these. Please remember that I am not influenced by any outside sources as I compile these. All rankings are totally where I alone see them and not from anywhere else. These rankings were actually started a few years ago when I saw the Oregonian's Pac-10 insider, Ken Goe, who created them at the time for the Pac-10 conference (which as since been discontinued) and I adopted it for the Big Sky conference here on AGS. Thanks for the wonderful discussions and insights from all of you. I'll compile the first power rankings for 2009 in mid-August.