PDA

View Full Version : No love for JMU. Don't get it.

JmuSkinsfan
November 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Rather than post in every Wofford JMU thread, I'm starting a new one. I don't care if it gets buried and noone responds, but I'm getting really sick of the lack of respect for JMU. Give me a break. I'm not saying we are definitely going to handle Wofford, but some of you people are acting as though Wofford is the #1 seed and JMU is traveling to S.C. to play.

We may be #1 and have a target on our backs, but this team has NOT forgotten the pain of last year's playoffs, and if you think they will come in and be surprised by Wofford, you are kidding yourselves. This has the potential to be a massive blowout. WOCO doesn't have the speed to stop our offense, and, while it could be a shoot out, I don't think our defense will allow it to happen. Not nearly as porous a defense as ASU

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
And you think Wofford has forgotten the 70-24 loss to App? Or the loss to Richmond? This speed thing is really getting on my nerves, we're not the fastest team but it's not like we're The St. Francis School for the Morbidly Obese.

JmuSkinsfan
November 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM
And you think Wofford has forgotten the 70-24 loss to App? Or the loss to Richmond? This speed thing is really getting on my nerves, we're not the fastest team but it's not like we're The St. Francis School for the Morbidly Obese.

xlolx xlolx

Look, I'm not saying you guys are a bad team or don't stand a shot. I just don't understand how the "who will win" thread is currently 50-50. Even in our worst games of the year we managed to beat the #1, #5 and #7 teams at the time. I am really looking forward to your wishbone offense. Should be a lot of fun to watch. But I don't think people are giving JMU's offense enough credit. I think we have a good chance of putting up 40+ if not 50+. Our defense is very good, and we specialize in penetration and run stopping. If you really think you can hang 50 on us, then maybe you got a shot. But I just don't see where there is any evidence to say that this is a 50-50 tossup game.

jonmac
November 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
You think WE don't have any love for JMU? How 'bout this for a headline...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3722084xeekx

No. 2 seed Appalachian State to open FCS playoffs vs. South Carolina St.

Associated Press

Updated: November 23, 2008, 9:49 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

INDIANAPOLIS -- Three-time defending national champion Appalachian State will open the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs Saturday at home against South Carolina State, while top-seeded James Madison will face Wofford.

Second-seeded Appalachian State (10-2) earned the Southern Conference's automatic berth for its 16th playoff appearance. James Madison (10-1), the Colonial Athletic Association champion, won the 2004 national title.

South Carolina State and Wofford are both 9-2.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Why would anyone care how others predict their game to go. I hope 75-80% of people predict EKU to beat UR so they can be proven wrong.

That said, remember JMU has great statesmen like Alexale and SouthCarolina Duke representing them on these boards. Are you really surprised that people would want to pick against them?

JmuSkinsfan
November 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
:( xeekx xmadx

That's just incredible. I get the ASU name recognition, but that's just pathetic on the part of ESPN.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
xlolx xlolx

Look, I'm not saying you guys are a bad team or don't stand a shot. I just don't understand how the "who will win" thread is currently 50-50. Even in our worst games of the year we managed to beat the #1, #5 and #7 teams at the time. I am really looking forward to your wishbone offense. Should be a lot of fun to watch. But I don't think people are giving JMU's offense enough credit. I think we have a good chance of putting up 40+ if not 50+. Our defense is very good, and we specialize in penetration and run stopping. If you really think you can hang 50 on us, then maybe you got a shot. But I just don't see where there is any evidence to say that this is a 50-50 tossup game.

Well the only evidence to say that this game would be a bad game would be our loss to App, which was really the worst game we played all season, we've really blown past everybody in the SoCon. BTW we don't run much of a wishbone, but our offense is still fun to watchxthumbsupx .

It's really not that they're not giving JMU credit, it's just that they are giving Wofford credit because 10/11 of this season we have played great football.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM

That's just incredible. I get the ASU name recognition, but that's just pathetic on the part of ESPN.

You could tell ESPN's priorities when they talked about App first even though they were the #2 seed.

JmuSkinsfan
November 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
You could tell ESPN's priorities when they talked about App first even though they were the #2 seed.

Yeah that's true. I guess it makes sense. It would just be nice to, you know, at least pay homage to the team on top. Even if it is just the playoff seed. ASU got about 5 minutes...JMU 2.

jonmac
November 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Well the only evidence to say that this game would be a bad game would be our loss to App, which was really the worst game we played all season, we've really blown past everybody in the SoCon. BTW we don't run much of a wishbone, but our offense is still fun to watchxthumbsupx .

It's really not that they're not giving JMU credit, it's just that they are giving Wofford credit because 10/11 of this season we have played great football.

Shhhh...don't tell him that, he might tell MM to stop preparing for the wishbone.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Shhhh...don't tell him that, he might tell MM to stop preparing for the wishbone.

Mickey preparing for Woffordxsmiley_wix ? I thought we weren't good xsmiley_wix

(Just kidding I know he's preparing)

ASUTed
November 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Rather than post in every Wofford JMU thread, I'm starting a new one. I don't care if it gets buried and noone responds, but I'm getting really sick of the lack of respect for JMU. Give me a break. I'm not saying we are definitely going to handle Wofford, but some of you people are acting as though Wofford is the #1 seed and JMU is traveling to S.C. to play.

We may be #1 and have a target on our backs, but this team has NOT forgotten the pain of last year's playoffs, and if you think they will come in and be surprised by Wofford, you are kidding yourselves. This has the potential to be a massive blowout. WOCO doesn't have the speed to stop our offense, and, while it could be a shoot out, I don't think our defense will allow it to happen. Not nearly as porous a defense as ASU

I am going to give it to you straight. Most people on this board think that the app win was great, but it was early in the year and after app was up 21-0 so it may have had something to do with app letting up. Its something to hang your hat on though.

Most app fans will pick wofford because we have seen how they can beat you. I will tell you this, if you cannot complete some passes against wofford then it could be a long day. I will quote Armanti on this one "We knew Wofford had the best dline in the conference". So I think the two teams are very similair except Landers is a better athlete than Widmyer(sp?) and Scottie Mcgee is a difference maker. But I still picked Wofford in the poll, sour grapes I guess.

beauvighn
November 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM

I hope Mickey Mouth is preparing for the wishbone. he will be in for a big surprise come Saturday..xnodx

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I am going to give it to you straight. Most people on this board think that the app win was great, but early in the year and after app was up 21-0 so it may have had something to do with app letting up.
Most app fans will pick wofford because we have seen how they can beat you. I will tell you this, if you cannot complete some passes against wofford then it could be a long day. I will quote Armanti on this one "We knew Wofford had the best dline in the conference". So I think the two teams are very similair except Landers is a better athlete than Widmyer(sp?) and Scottie Mcgee is a difference make. But I still picked Wofford in the poll, sour grapes I guess.

You spelled it right, (just so you know App fans Widmyer is faster than he looks--he squats 610 so he has great speed and stamina just ask USC he ran for a 50 yard TD just a quicky note;))

I never heard that quote before, but when you lead the conference in sack I guess it could be accurate. By the way--1/2 those DL are freshman, and all of them get significant playing time.

CharlestonAppFan
November 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM

and you wonder why posters from the SoCon (probably mostly App) won't give posters from JMU the "respect you deserve?" xeyebrowx It may be because the lack of respect you just gave in this post xnodx

it may be because Wofford went into Wa-Griz and beat them last year in the first round, or it could be because they played it very close wuth USC this year (who has the #1 ranked defense in the SEC), or that they only lost 2 games this year and won most of their games with ease (of which the App game was an anomoly - believe me this is the truth and not smacking, no team in the FCS would have beat us that night)

yes, JMU has a great football team, but this Wofford team deserves respect too and for a few reasons mentioned above. I'm sure your team will not take them lightly and rightfully so, but if MM makes any questionable calls and/or turnovers are a problem, Wofford WILL make you pay. JMU MUST score very quickly to take them out of their game....you do not want them to keep the game close....you will turn grey very quickly my friend because they are that type of team.

I think that JMU will ultimately be too much for Wofford because they can't come from behind...just not built that way. But if it's close, look the freak out xnodx

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
xbawlingx "We want respect too." Look I have family (ok in-laws) who went to JMU. They could care less what some fans on a message board thought of JMU. Give me a break, grow a pair. You guys are the #1 seed and everyone who plays you wants to knock you off, welcome to ASU's world since Michigan. It happens, be happy you're in that position and everyone is chomping at the bits to beat you. It's actually quite an awesome position to be in.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM

These speed arguments in college football are really becoming a joke

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Very well could be the only FCS team they know...That whole Michigan thing last year & all ..xlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU Newbill
November 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
i like the chances of it being a good game. I said it in a couple of the other threads, but I would rather play Wofford than Liberty or Elon. If JMU can manage to hold up throughout the playoffs, I want it to be against the best teams that the FCS has to offer.

No doubt, Wofford is better than a lot of the teams we could have potentially gotten matched up with. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bring your A-game Wofford, hopefully Mickey will bring his thinking cap.

Thunderstruck84
November 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Why would anyone care how others predict their game to go. I hope 75-80% of people predict EKU to beat UR so they can be proven wrong.

That said, remember JMU has great statesmen like Alexale and SouthCarolina Duke representing them on these boards. Are you really surprised that people would want to pick against them?
Precisely, what difference does it make? All that matters are the 22 guys between the lines on Saturday. This isn't the BCS, you go about your business and whether or not people "respect" you is immaterial. If you're that good, you won't need to tell anybody. I gaurantee the people that matter know how good JMU is.

Dukie95
November 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Don't let it bother you SkinFan...

SoCon fans believe that our season can be summed up by...

- A loss to pathetic Duke (who is probably the 6th best DI team in the state)
- A win given to us because ASU let down in the second half
- 2 lucky conference wins against UR and Nova
- The rest were against the dregs of the weaker CAA
- A loudmouth coach that hurt their feelings xbawlingx

JMU (and likely CAA fans) sees our season as a series of well earned, well prepared-for victories by the most dominant team in the divison.

All are valid opinions, but the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The voting lines you see show how many people fall somewhere on either side. It'll all become clearer on Saturday.

Eight Legger
November 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
No one who picks Wofford to in the game is disrespecting JMU. Both are strong teams. Either could win. If that weren't the case, JMU would be playing Villanova/Colgate already. I do think some JMU fans are guilty of assuming their team is going to destroy every opponent, however, which doesn't sit so well with the fans of other teams.

Most fans on the JMU board thought JMU would beat UR by 10-20 points easily. After the game, they were shocked at how good we were. Same for Villanova. That kind of attitude makes me wonder if they have been watching other teams at all this year or just their own. There are about six teams capable of winning it all this year, in my opinion, and JMU is one. Maybe their fortunate wins earlier this year portend more of the same in the playoffs, or maybe they mean their fortune runs out the next time they're in a close game. Time will tell.

asknoquarter21
November 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I think JMU isn't getting the respect they deserve, but Wofford is a team I didn't want to see again because I don't think it would be that big of a blow out. JMU is a team I want to see again because I saw a team we could beat.

Is JMU #1? Yes.

Is Wofford the toughest 1st round draw? Yes

Can Wofford beat JMU? Yes

If Appalachian had played against JMU the way they did Wofford that game is a blowout too.

If both teams bring their A game this is a close JMU win, but if not....watch out

GrizDen
November 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I've got much love for JMU. I think people are just recognizing the fact that on paper, JMU has potentially the toughest first two rounds of play (should they defeat Wofford).

**A bit long, but I think many of you may find the below information interesting.

Just going by highest ranked potential opponents (per the AGS poll) which just so happens to mirror the non-seeded teams that got a home game, JMU's average opponent rank in the first two rounds (assuming all home teams win for this example) is 7.5, App. State is 10, Montana is 13 (thanks in large part to Texas State being the lowest ranked team in the playoffs at 24, but offset by potentially having the highest ranked 2nd round opponent Cal Poly at #3) and Northern Iowa is 14.

In doing this research the biggest question I came up with is "Why in the heck did JMU not get Eastern Kentucky?" Eastern Kentucky is 432 miles from JMU yet they are 505 miles from the University of Richmond. How does the committee remotely explain themselves on this hypocrisy?
Shifting Eastern Kentucky to play JMU not only adheres to the ridiculous regionalization approach the committee takes, but it also lines up better if they were to actually seed all of the teams.

If the committee made this more just decision, #1 JMU plays #20 Eastern Kentucky instead of #9 Wofford.

In turn, #7 Richmond would host #9 Wofford instead of #20 Eastern Kentucky. Heck, in this scenario I could have seen the committee awarding Wofford the host role over Richmond…although that would just open the door (and justly so) for the folks at Richmond to be upset.

grayghost06
November 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I think JMU isn't getting the respect they deserve, but Wofford is a team I didn't want to see again because I don't think it would be that big of a blow out. JMU is a team I want to see again because I saw a team we could beat.

Is JMU #1? Yes.

Is Wofford the toughest 1st round draw? Yes

Can Wofford beat JMU? Yes

If Appalachian had played against JMU the way they did Wofford that game is a blowout too.

If both teams bring their A game this is a close JMU win, but if not....watch out

While I agree that Woffy will be a tough game for Madison ( and certainly WAAAAAAAAAAAY tougher than So Carolina St)....there is no basis for your statement that ASU would blow out JMU if they played like they did against Wofford. To back up my point, here is a review of JMUs losses against I-AA competition in the last 5 years: 11 losses ( 3 at home, 8 on the road. Average margin of defeat for those 11 games is 3.6 points. The worst of those losses was to ASU by 11 points. When playing at home over that 5 year stretch, JMU has won their games against I-AA teams by an average of 38-16, losing only 3 games by 1, 3 and 3 points. And this was done while playing a conference slate against the toughest conference in our Division. Still want to stand by your ridiculous statement???

T-Dog
November 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Also if JMU played as bad as Wofford did against us it would have been a blowout. not taking anything away from App because App were world beaters that day but Wofford's seven turnovers (to App's none) helped.

While I agree that Woffy will be a tough game for Madison ( and certainly WAAAAAAAAAAAY tougher than So Carolina St)....there is no basis for your statement that ASU would blow out JMU if they played like they did against Wofford. To back up my point, here is a review of JMUs losses against I-AA competition in the last 5 years: 11 losses ( 3 at home, 8 on the road. Average margin of defeat for those 11 games is 3.6 points. The worst of those losses was to ASU by 11 points. When playing at home over that 5 year stretch, JMU has won their games against I-AA teams by an average of 38-16, losing only 3 games by 1, 3 and 3 points. And this was done while playing a conference slate against the toughest conference in our Division. Still want to stand by your ridiculous statement???

If JMU turned the ball over seven times against an App team as "on" as it was that night, it doesn't matter what you average margin of defeat is in the last five years. xnodx

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Also if JMU played as bad as Wofford did against us it would have been a blowout. not taking anything away from App because App were world beaters that day but Wofford's seven turnovers (to App's none) helped.

If JMU turned the ball over seven times against an App team as "on" as it was that night, it doesn't matter what you average margin of defeat is in the last five years. xnodx

Wofford had five turnovers. Thank for the support.

th0m
November 25th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Why? I've seen this mentioned so many times, it's not even funny anymore (and it wasn't even funny to begin with). Why?

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Why? I've seen this mentioned so many times, it's not even funny anymore (and it wasn't even funny to begin with). Why?

I think his assumption is, the way we played that night no one could beat us. Not speaking for him, that's how I took it.

th0m
November 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I agree on your interpretation, but my question still stands.

You can't simply substitute Wofford with JMU in that game. Neither can we substitute Wofford for ASU in our game with you folks and expect a win. That's why its such a shortsighted claim, IMO, and I'd like to know if any ASU or other fans have actually looked at the facts more deeply. I'm not saying ASU couldn't have beaten JMU that night, but I just like some actual facts to support the claim xpeacex

blitz4
November 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Its not a question of wheather Appstate would blow out JMU if they played like they did against Wofford. It is the fact that Appstate would blow out JMU if JMU played like Wofford did against Appstate. Wofford had five turnovers and about 10 blown coverages for easy long throws. If you look at Woffords history, we dont ever get blown out!! We have been right in there till the end with south carolina the past two years. We missed a 25 yard field goal in the first quarter against usc this year or we would have had the ball and a tied score with 2:50 left in the game to win it.

If JMU is expecting a blowout, I woulnt bet on it. Unless the Terriers are going to lose the turnover battle -5. Appstate is a great team, but Wofford beat Wofford on halloween night. And dont count on that to happen twice in one decade, much less within 5 games.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I agree on your interpretation, but my question still stands.

You can't simply substitute Wofford with JMU in that game. Neither can we substitute Wofford for ASU in our game with you folks and expect a win. That's why its such a shortsighted claim, IMO, and I'd like to know if any ASU or other fans have actually looked at the facts more deeply. I'm not saying ASU couldn't have beaten JMU that night, but I just like some actual facts to support the claim xpeacex

Not sure what "facts" can support an "if" claim. I think he was probably popping off at the mouth. Most ASU fans don't do that, although it seems most non-ASU fans on AGS think that. Anyways, again, not sure what facts to look at. I was at both games and JMU has big play capability and WoCo, doesn't (from what I saw). WoCo's offense is methodical and marches down the field. Those are the only facts I know.

asknoquarter21
November 25th, 2008, 08:07 AM
The way Appalachian played on Halloween night reminds me of only a few games that I have seen App play. Richmond last year as well as Delaware.

All three of those games Appalachian was dominant.

Wofford having 5 turnovers hurt, and you won't win a game with 5 turnovers, but all we heard about Wofford is they don't make mistakes and make turnovers. A turnover doesn't happen because of one team making a mistake especially not 5. The D was making plays and to be fair they gave up just as many. My point is simply that if App had played JMU the way they did Wofford, Richmond, or Delaware that game may not have been close. Especially after a 21-0 lead at halftime.

I'm not trying to take anything away from JMU for beating App. I was at that game too and that was a heck of a comeback.

Simply put, JMU shouldn't compare our loss to them and our Win against Wofford, because that was Appalachian playing much much better in the Wofford win.

Sorry to anyone that took offense

MacThor
November 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
In doing this research the biggest question I came up with is "Why in the heck did JMU not get Eastern Kentucky?" Eastern Kentucky is 432 miles from JMU yet they are 505 miles from the University of Richmond. How does the committee remotely explain themselves on this hypocrisy?
Shifting Eastern Kentucky to play JMU not only adheres to the ridiculous regionalization approach the committee takes, but it also lines up better if they were to actually seed all of the teams.

If the committee made this more just decision, #1 JMU plays #20 Eastern Kentucky instead of #9 Wofford.

In turn, #7 Richmond would host #9 Wofford instead of #20 Eastern Kentucky. Heck, in this scenario I could have seen the committee awarding Wofford the host role over Richmond…although that would just open the door (and justly so) for the folks at Richmond to be upset.

I agree. I can only speculate that with just two SoCon teams in the field, they wanted to keep Wofford and ASU in opposite halves of the bracket.

They could have had a JMU-EKU/UR-WOFF quarter and an ASU-SCSU/VU-COLG bracket I suppose. But then if favorites hold, VU's gotta fly to Boone in the 2nd round.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Its not a question of wheather Appstate would blow out JMU if they played like they did against Wofford. It is the fact that Appstate would blow out JMU if JMU played like Wofford did against Appstate. Wofford had five turnovers and about 10 blown coverages for easy long throws. If you look at Woffords history, we dont ever get blown out!! We have been right in there till the end with south carolina the past two years. We missed a 25 yard field goal in the first quarter against usc this year or we would have had the ball and a tied score with 2:50 left in the game to win it.

If JMU is expecting a blowout, I woulnt bet on it. Unless the Terriers are going to lose the turnover battle -5. Appstate is a great team, but Wofford beat Wofford on halloween night. And dont count on that to happen twice in one decade, much less within 5 games.

I haven't read much of the rest of this thread, but the above comment is well stated and proves that neither of our games against App can be used as a predictor for this weekend's game.

In Wofford's case, App was clikcing on all cylinders. Wofford could've played a perfect game and gotten beat. The didn't and got blown out.

In our game, our first half was atrocious. Landers was particularly bad in the first half and also threw an int in the second half (the last one he's thrown all year). Without Scotty McGee's touchdown to start the half and Landers big TD run, we might've gotten steam rolled. It was also three months ago.

Either way, Saturday should be a good one.

Appguy
November 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Even less love for JMU from Yahoo!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Either-James-Madison-is-a-lot-better-than-you-th?urn=ncaaf,124387

andy7171
November 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Maybe you guys have thrown one too many streamers at away games to get proper respect? xrolleyesx

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Wofford hosted against Richmond last year, so it shouldn't come as too big of a shock.

The committee paired us with Wofford because they are (I think) the closest non-conference opponent.

The seeds are paired first, then the other teams are paired.

ChickenMan
November 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Its not a question of wheather Appstate would blow out JMU if they played like they did against Wofford. It is the fact that Appstate would blow out JMU if JMU played like Wofford did against Appstate. Wofford had five turnovers and about 10 blown coverages for easy long throws.

An outstanding team like JMU doesn't and won't make those kind of mistakes vs ASU or anyone else.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
An outstanding team like JMU doesn't and won't make those kind of mistakes vs ASU or anyone else.

JMU won't have a single turnover or blown coverage in the playoffs? xeekx

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 AM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Either-James-Madison-is-a-lot-better-than-you-th?urn=ncaaf,124387

Gotta say I agree with him there. We are not the 24th best team in all of college football.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to be the first FCS team to garner BCS points, but those are more worthless than used toilet paper to me.

BeauFoster
November 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Boy, that guy has it all wrong! The computer polls are by far the most accurate polls ever!

xoopsx

(^^^^That's sarcasm, folks^^^^)

ChickenMan
November 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
JMU won't have a single turnover or blown coverage in the playoffs? xeekx

the reply wasn't about a 'single' mistake.. it was relative to a 'ton' of mistakes... ;)

Duke Dawg
November 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
My point is simply that if App had played JMU the way they did Wofford, Richmond, or Delaware that game may not have been close. Especially after a 21-0 lead at halftime.

I just don't get this kind of talk. "Well, if we played like we played against Wofford, we'd blow you out"...but you didn't. And JMU didn't play near a flawless game against you.

if VMI plays there absolute best game, I'm sure they can beat any number of Top 25 teams.

sometimes teams play better than at other times.

JMU played a LOUSY first half against you guys. That's the ONLY reason you were up 21-0 to begin with.

In the 2nd, we played better and absolutely DOMINATED you. I was there and I've seen it on TV. It was domination. The numbers and eyeballs back it up.

Who is to say in a rematch, that JMU wouldn't play two complete halves as well?

The real point is, teams play well at times, and like everybody else, not so well at times. But when GOOD teams play well, it can get ugly no matter who the opponent. And both JMU and App State would qualify in the good category.

You played really well against a good Wofford team and it was ugly.

We've played lights out against #12 W&M a couple weeks ago and it got ugly.

th0m
November 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Well I agree its stupid to mix FBS and FCS teams in one large Sagarin rating. Just very hard to link them together, IMO.

MacThor
November 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
We had our "heads handed to us" by UVa? It was 3-0 halfway through the 4th quarter. Sheesh.

South Carolina Duke
November 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
The way Appalachian played on Halloween night reminds me of only a few games that I have seen App play. Richmond last year as well as Delaware.

All three of those games Appalachian was dominant.

Wofford having 5 turnovers hurt, and you won't win a game with 5 turnovers, but all we heard about Wofford is they don't make mistakes and make turnovers. A turnover doesn't happen because of one team making a mistake especially not 5. The D was making plays and to be fair they gave up just as many. My point is simply that if App had played JMU the way they did Wofford, Richmond, or Delaware that game may not have been close. Especially after a 21-0 lead at halftime.

I'm not trying to take anything away from JMU for beating App. I was at that game too and that was a heck of a comeback.

Simply put, JMU shouldn't compare our loss to them and our Win against Wofford, because that was Appalachian playing much much better in the Wofford win.

Sorry to anyone that took offense

I am just saying..If a frog had wings, he bump his...

I don't understand how all Appy fans preach this when it suits their point.

However, whenever a person would mention the gift(JMU fumble on the 9 with 22 secs) that they were given last November was some how well deserved and hard fought!? How about the four (4) turn-overs from FU inside the 20 at Boone.

Please! You can't have it both ways

StrikeJMU
November 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I just don't get this kind of talk. "Well, if we played like we played against Wofford, we'd blow you out"...but you didn't. And JMU didn't play near a flawless game against you.

agreed, that logic is dumb.

appstate1998
November 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Don't let it bother you SkinFan...

SoCon fans believe that our season can be summed up by...

- A loss to pathetic Duke (who is probably the 6th best DI team in the state)
- A win given to us because ASU let down in the second half
- 2 lucky conference wins against UR and Nova

I agree completely with that, but don't down Duke too much...this is the first year since like 2003 they've won more than 3 games...so I consider a team in the ACC who is having a better year than norm a good win for you.

ASU was up 21-0 and gave up a fumble in the red zone and also a 99 yard kickoff return for a touchdown. That's a little bit of luck in my opinion.

A hail mary on the last play of the game....LUCK.

Losing by 8 with 59 seconds left and winning by 7....LUCK.....

but what is wrong with that?????

App needed luck to be 3 time national champions. 2005 we need luck on our side to win the last two games. 2006...we were just nasty....2007 we scored with like 1 minute left to beat JMU. SO...whats wrong with us thinking you got lucky....getting lucky is a good thing. You are the number 1 seed and deserve it, but don't think you haven't been lucky.

OldSouth
November 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
If you used this logic then APP was better than Florida last year. App beat Michigan, Michigan beat Florida, therefore. No way.

Each team matures during an entire season. That is FCS fans love the playoffs. This sight is called "Any Given Saturday" for a reason.

We'll no more on Saturday night. the season starts NOW.

jonmac
November 25th, 2008, 07:54 PM

However, whenever a person would mention the gift(JMU fumble on the 9 with 22 secs) that they were given last November was some how well deserved and hard fought!? How about the four (4) turn-overs from FU inside the 20 at Boone.

All I'll say about that is that the fumble was not just dropped, or handed to us, it was caused. All of those facts are part of the game. I agree that you can't use the argument about playing the way you play against one team the way you play against another. You can also not say that since this team beat that team and that team beat that other team then this team will also beat that other team. Those type of mathematical properties do not work in competitive sports. Just play the dang game and that will decide it. You beat us this year because of lots of variables, we beat you last year because of lots of variables. IT'S COMPETITIVE SPORTS, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS.

19Duke97
November 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM

SkinsFan,
Don't sweat it, App state is the darling of FCS for ESPN, but they have earned that by being 3 time defending national champs, beating UM, etc, etc. Don't get caught up in the respect factor, if JMU does what it needs to do on the field, we will get plenty of respect, but more importantly maybe a 2nd national championship. As for everyone else, who cares.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
As far as the Richmond game, JMU was down by 8 with 3 minutes to go. It was RICHMOND that could not stop the Dukes in marching down the field and scoring. Richmond did get the ball back but was forced to punt....the fatal error in punting to Scotty. Maybe 59 seconds was left when we tied the score, but the game probably would have gone to OT if RICHMOND didn't make that mistake. A good team will capitalize.

Go Dukes

JmuSkinsfan
November 25th, 2008, 08:34 PM
All I'll say about that is that the fumble was not just dropped, or handed to us, it was caused. All of those facts are part of the game. I agree that you can't use the argument about playing the way you play against one team the way you play against another. You can also not say that since this team beat that team and that team beat that other team then this team will also beat that other team. Those type of mathematical properties do not work in competitive sports. Just play the dang game and that will decide it. You beat us this year because of lots of variables, we beat you last year because of lots of variables. IT'S COMPETITIVE SPORTS, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS.

Fair enough. But then you can't turn around and say that the forced fumble we got this year in the redzone against you was luck. That was a very very good strip of the ball. Skill, not luck. Applies on both sides.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
agreed, that logic is dumb.

Nice sweeping generalization...clever.

StrikeJMU
November 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Nice sweeping generalization...clever.

If I had written "Would someone please make a dick comment" then you could of jumped in, but until then nobody gives a ***** what you think.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
If I had written "Would someone please make a dick comment" then you could of jumped in, but until then nobody gives a ***** what you think.

xlolx feeling is mutual I suppose. What's up your ass little one?

StrikeJMU
November 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
little one? your 27. nvm, I'm done arguing with the captain of the downs syndrome debate team.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
little one? your 27. nvm, I'm done arguing with the captain of the downs syndrome debate team.

xlolx Yeah, good argument...cut down on kids with downs. What was that about captain of the downs syndrome debate team? Grammar not a strong suit for you?

I said little one, not based on age (I have no idea how old you are, nor do I care), but inability to understand meanings of words. I actually, if you had read the rest of this thread, took up for JMU and gave them credit for kicking App's butt in Sept. Then you come along and bring about supreme douchebaggery. I have family who went to JMU, I vote in the AGS poll and have voted the Dukes #1 every week since they beat App. I give them respect, but you wouldn't know that newbie.

Nice try...good swing, but a strike(JMU).

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Classless.xnonono2x

B&G
November 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM
So it's a lack of respect to pick against JMU but not a lack of respect to say JMU will probably blow out Wofford?

Someone posted how ASU fans feel about JMU's resume this season with the lucky wins. Here's how it looks like JMU fans summarize Wofford's season:

- Blown out by ASU on national TV on Halloween

... Talk about dismissing another team's accomplishments. Not all of the votes for Wofford are from SoCon fans. Maybe, just maybe some of them are from people who remember last year when the Terriers flying cross country and knocking off Montana in perhaps THE toughest setting in FCS.

AshevilleApp2
November 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
James Madison deserves a great deal of respect for the way their team has played this year. They are deservedly #1, and should be considered the favorite to win the whole thing.

That said, Wofford should give them a great game and may well beat them. As much as I enjoyed it, the game in Boone on Halloween was an aberration. Wofford is a better team than that.

ASUG8
November 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I don't have any hate for JMU - they have a great team as evidenced by their SOS this season and record. The ASU/Wofford game should not serve as a predictor for this Saturday's results - 10/31 seemed to be the perfect storm, at the Rock, on ESPN, Wofford having a tough night and App playing some of the best football they've played all season. I think Wofford will give JMU a game, and if that's disrespectful to the JMU faithful than take my apologies in advance. I look forward to a good competitive outing for both squads. xthumbsupx

drpnut
November 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
If folks feel JMU is getting little respect, then I have a few thoughts on that subject.

-- When you have a coach that lets his mouth run all the time, it is going to cause folks to disrespect you. (Don't get me wrong, everyone likes to hear coaches mix it up a little and motivate their team.) But when a caoch publicly disses a whole conference, people tend not to forget.

-- When a good number of the JMU posters have a "pompous", greater than thou attitude it makes folks want to disrespect you.

-- And lastly, I sense that there a a great number of JMU family members who assume that they can go ahead and count on a W.

What I believe is this, and other folks have already articulated the same point: Woffy went into GRiz stadium last year and won the game. That place is a more difficult place to play than JMU, and that team was just as good as JMU's current team.

We are confident in our chances. I say it is easily a 50-50 call. The only real advantage JMU has is it is home, but then again i refer to last year's playoff game. JMU may have a back or two that are individually better than any player we put on the field, and Rodney most likely is better than anyone we put in at QB. But Woffy will run the ball with as many as 10 players getting rushes, which is better than having a couple of studs. By the way we feel Romero is absolutely a beast. The short passing game doesn't scare us. WE give up 8-12 yard dinks all the time, but now in the last three games there were only 4 total passes greater than 30 yards. So if we do a good job against the run, which we will, then Landers better be able to complete some long stuff or it will be a long day.

Another thing, we will go for 4th and 4 anywhere on the field even our own 15 as we did last week.

Also, the CAA comp you played this year is probalby only a 1/2 step above the SOCon comp we played.

Duke beat you guys soundly. And we gave South Carolina all they wanted, and everyone knows S. Carolina is heads above Duke.

Therefore it is going to be a good game. And many people feel it is a toss-up.

I can't wait.

Mntneer
November 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I agree completely with that, but don't down Duke too much...this is the first year since like 2003 they've won more than 3 games...so I consider a team in the ACC who is having a better year than norm a good win for you.

ASU was up 21-0 and gave up a fumble in the red zone and also a 99 yard kickoff return for a touchdown. That's a little bit of luck in my opinion.

A hail mary on the last play of the game....LUCK.

Losing by 8 with 59 seconds left and winning by 7....LUCK.....

but what is wrong with that?????

App needed luck to be 3 time national champions. 2005 we need luck on our side to win the last two games. 2006...we were just nasty....2007 we scored with like 1 minute left to beat JMU. SO...whats wrong with us thinking you got lucky....getting lucky is a good thing. You are the number 1 seed and deserve it, but don't think you haven't been lucky.

Excellent post, I agree 100%.

DLS
November 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
"luck repeated over time = skill"

science.

mcveyrl
November 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM
This thread has gotten out of hand. My post is responsive to the last few, but has nothing to do with the start of this thread, which was ridiculous to begin with.

Having said that, do all the ASU posters that are clamoring over this "luck" issue agree that luck is how you beat us last year?

All I remember hearing is how ASU caused the fumble and jumped on the ball, not luck at all.

FWIW, I tend to agree. I posted it once before, but luck is where preparation meets opportunity. You practice kick returns, punt returns and hail mary plays so that when the opportunity for the right play to happen occurs, you are prepared. Just like ASU was prepared when the ball carrier came through the seam and ASU got a helmet on the ball and pursued the ball and recovered the fumble.

Dukes2011
November 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Duke beat you guys soundly. And we gave South Carolina all they wanted, and everyone knows S. Carolina is heads above Duke.

FYI, just as the Wofford-App game should probably be thrown out, this comparison is pretty invalid as well. It is common knowledge that Mickey doesn't remotely try to win against I-A/FBS schools. We passed six times that day and might have run four different run plays.

I'm not saying we would normally beat Duke on a consistent basis, but take the score with a grain of salt.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM
This thread has gotten out of hand. My post is responsive to the last few, but has nothing to do with the start of this thread, which was ridiculous to begin with.

Having said that, do all the ASU posters that are clamoring over this "luck" issue agree that luck is how you beat us last year?

All I remember hearing is how ASU caused the fumble and jumped on the ball, not luck at all.

FWIW, I tend to agree. I posted it once before, but luck is where preparation meets opportunity. You practice kick returns, punt returns and hail mary plays so that when the opportunity for the right play to happen occurs, you are prepared. Just like ASU was prepared when the ball carrier came through the seam and ASU got a helmet on the ball and pursued the ball and recovered the fumble.

You are 100% on here. I wouldn't call it luck. It seems lucky, but it's actually a good team coming through when it has to. They know where to be, they know what to do and they execute with increased focus. Was it luck that pass at Villanova was batted down in the direction of the JMU receiver? Sure, but he still had to make the catch, he was still in the right place at the right time, and that's what good teams/ players do.

Call it luck, call it devine intervention, call it the ball bouncing your way...I call it being a half step quicker than the other guy (in preparation, execution, etc).

Hoboken Dukes
November 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
JMU is gonna destroy wofford. we're playing our best ball of the year right now and won't be stopped. look for wofford to put up 24, and jmu to put up around 49 or 52. we're a friggin machine on offense right now.

and the mvp of the 1st half of the app game was their punter. guy totally shifted the field position battle, our punter was terrible, and app was dealing with a short field all half.

i respect wofford, i respect the socon, and i certainly respect our 2nd round opponent in villanova. but coming to the boneyard this playoff go-round is gonna mean nothing but pain & suffering for the opposition.

see you boys on saturday.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
JMU is gonna destroy wofford. we're playing our best ball of the year right now and won't be stopped. look for wofford to put up 24, and jmu to put up around 49 or 52. we're a friggin machine on offense right now.

and the mvp of the 1st half of the app game was their punter. guy totally shifted the field position battle, our punter was terrible, and app was dealing with a short field all half.

i respect wofford, i respect the socon, and i certainly respect our 2nd round opponent in villanova. but coming to the boneyard this playoff go-round is gonna mean nothing but pain & suffering for the opposition.

see you boys on saturday.

ok It's going to suck if you're wrong.

I don't know by what score, but I see JMU winning.

jus10asu
November 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
LOUD NOISES!!!!

Hoboken Dukes
November 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
trust me, my braggadicio on a message board is the least of my worries if jmu were to lose this game.

AppIAA
November 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I just don't get this kind of talk.

JMU played a LOUSY first half against you guys. That's the ONLY reason you were up 21-0 to begin with.

In the 2nd, we played better and absolutely DOMINATED you. I was there and I've seen it on TV. It was domination. The numbers and eyeballs back it up.

So you played LOUSY in the first half and that was the only reason we were up 21-0 and you DOMINATED us in the second half..

It has nothing to do with us DOMINATING you in the first half and us playing LOUSY in the second?

You are doing the exact thing you are saying is wrong...

I just don't get this kind of talk. It was a battle of two good teams, who each put together one good half. Just happens JMUs better half was better than ASUs.

As far as the "if we play anybody like we played Wofford" I am pretty sure he is inferring that we played phenomenal that night. Its not a fact, its an opinion so getting stats to back that up is impossible. He was saying it would be hard for anybody to stop us if we play like that. No disrespect to JMU or anybody else. I am sure JMU have had the same kind of games.

So stop complaining JMU isn't getting any respect -- they are the number 1 team in the nation right now.. that to me is respect!

Proud Griz Man
November 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Rather than post in every Wofford JMU thread, I'm starting a new one. I don't care if it gets buried and noone responds, but I'm getting really sick of the lack of respect for JMU. Give me a break.

There is no FCS lack of respect for JMU. None that I have seen. xcoolx

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
trust me, my braggadicio on a message board is the least of my worries if jmu were to lose this game.

Guess you have a lot riding on this game? xeyebrowx I guess you're showing Wofford respect by saying JMU will destroy them. I know, I know you said you respect them, that's kind of like saying, "I don't mean this to sound racist, but..." This is a funny thread.

MasonJar
November 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Mmmmmmm... not to really talk smackxrolleyesx but just shut up and play the game. Respect will come if earned. You are the #1 seed in the playoffs and had a great season, but until you accomplish the final goal, you really are no different than any other team hosting in the first round. xwhistlex

Also, ASU has three NC's in a row over the past 3 years and is going into the playoffs as the #2 seed. JMU has one NC from 4 years ago. Were sittin' on top of the mountain, and someone needs knock us off for things to change. At this point, ASU is the bigger story. When/if we get knocked out of the playoffs and JMU were to survive, then you can start getting the accolades you yearn for.xthumbsupx

Before us, GaSouthern, Youngstown, Montana and Marshall (multiple and/or repeat Ntl Champs) have all received their share press during their day and everyone else had to scrape and scrap fore their credit. xbangx Maybe this is JMU's year to join the elite multi-NC winners and add to their mystique...xprayx

True, you beat App in the regular season, but like is said "that was then, this is now." ASU is the team to beat, and maybe there will be a JMU rematch in Chatty... 3 games until then and a lot can happen. Take em one at a time and don't forget the other 14 teams who want respect.xpeacex

Hoboken Dukes
November 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Guess you have a lot riding on this game? xeyebrowx I guess you're showing Wofford respect by saying JMU will destroy them. I know, I know you said you respect them, that's kind of like saying, "I don't mean this to sound racist, but..." This is a funny thread.

nope, don't have anything riding on the game other than emotion. that and the hectic weekend i've now lined up. hoboken/nyc to va tonight coming back on thurs night after turkey dinner. back down friday night after work and then from 'Nova to the game on saturday morning early. originally had friday off, but switched it with a girl on the desk here so i could potentially get the semi-finals and finals off.

nay, what "bigger problems" refers to is the issue that i think many on this board have; the struggle to come to grips with the finality of it all when your team loses to end a season. being a 29 year old philadelphia sports fan (my dad is one of 13 from philly, mom one of 5, but i was born & raised in manassas, va) i've had a lifetime to try to come to try to deal with this phenomena in a mature fashion but failed miserably each & every year. luckily my beloved phillies changed the perspective a bit, however jmu holds a special place in my sports fandom and as such any goodwill generated by the phitin's will have no effect on allaying said inner turmoil re: JMU's untimely bounce from the playoffs.

after the heartbreak the last 2 years i believe we're fully paid up our deal with the devil for the travelling roadshow of 2004. i've made the nyc to va trip too many times to count since graduating in 2001 and i'll be damned if some terriers are gonna stop me from making it one more time next weekend, and so on until chatty.

i was there for app state & the comeback, i was there for the hail mary in the frigid monsoon conditions @ 'nova. i was there for the beatdowns of delaware & waste management. and i'll surely be there for the 3 home games in the boneyard & the finals in chatty.

and i can respect my opponent whilst simultaneously predicting a slaughter. if i didn't respect wofford, i'd predict something along the lines of, oh, 70 - 0.
xeyebrowx

jmu007
November 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
happy thanksgiving everyone. this thread just got me through the last 20 min of work this week. thanks :)

DTSpider
November 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hoboken, what high school? I think that our paths may have crossed in a different lifetime.

Hoboken Dukes
November 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM
osbourn park, 1993-1997. played basketball and baseball in case you played in the ol' cardinal district back in the day.....and managed the gals volleyball team during my offseason during our state semi's year!!!! people scoff, but did you see what those girls wear? gorgy.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
nope, don't have anything riding on the game other than emotion. that and the hectic weekend i've now lined up. hoboken/nyc to va tonight coming back on thurs night after turkey dinner. back down friday night after work and then from 'Nova to the game on saturday morning early. originally had friday off, but switched it with a girl on the desk here so i could potentially get the semi-finals and finals off.

nay, what "bigger problems" refers to is the issue that i think many on this board have; the struggle to come to grips with the finality of it all when your team loses to end a season. being a 29 year old philadelphia sports fan (my dad is one of 13 from philly, mom one of 5, but i was born & raised in manassas, va) i've had a lifetime to try to come to try to deal with this phenomena in a mature fashion but failed miserably each & every year. luckily my beloved phillies changed the perspective a bit, however jmu holds a special place in my sports fandom and as such any goodwill generated by the phitin's will have no effect on allaying said inner turmoil re: JMU's untimely bounce from the playoffs.

after the heartbreak the last 2 years i believe we're fully paid up our deal with the devil for the travelling roadshow of 2004. i've made the nyc to va trip too many times to count since graduating in 2001 and i'll be damned if some terriers are gonna stop me from making it one more time next weekend, and so on until chatty.

i was there for app state & the comeback, i was there for the hail mary in the frigid monsoon conditions @ 'nova. i was there for the beatdowns of delaware & waste management. and i'll surely be there for the 3 home games in the boneyard & the finals in chatty.

and i can respect my opponent whilst simultaneously predicting a slaughter. if i didn't respect wofford, i'd predict something along the lines of, oh, 70 - 0.
xeyebrowx

Yeah, I too travel a lot for my team. Including three trips to Chattanooga and one to Ann Arbor. At to you showing respect and predicting a slaughter, have no problem with that except when it's a top 10 team. I really don't care if you think you guys will dominate WoCo, you very well may. Just sounds a lot like the talk going on here last around Sept. 1st. I think we all know what happened then. I stand by my statement and say humility is not a bad thing. xpeacex

MasonJar
November 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I think you need to come to grips that it wasn't just the fumble that cost you the game... some coaching decisions by MM leading into the fumble cost you just as much... not converting on 4th down, maybe waiting too long to try the winning field goal, maybe our speed and offense put him in a bad way and he tried the lesser of two evils...

Not really criticizing the decisions, just saying that there was a lot more to the game than just the final fumble, and a lot of it does come down to "if." If JMU punts, pooches or tries the field goal instead of going for it on 4th down, if they converted on 4th down?xchinscratchx

and how about all those turnovers in other games... to the victor go the spoils! xnodx

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I too travel a lot for my team. Including three trips to Chattanooga and one to Ann Arbor. At to you showing respect and predicting a slaughter, have no problem with that except when it's a top 10 team.

Just let him be, this year USC people predicted we would lose 34-0 at least and it took them 58 minutes to put us away.

I think we'll at least keep this game close and that will earn some respect back from the loss at Appy. Hopefully we'll win, GO TERRIERS!!!

South Carolina Duke
November 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I think you need to come to grips that it wasn't just the fumble that cost you the game... some coaching decisions by MM leading into the fumble cost you just as much... not converting on 4th down, maybe waiting too long to try the winning field goal, maybe our speed and offense put him in a bad way and he tried the lesser of two evils...

Not really criticizing the decisions, just saying that there was a lot more to the game than just the final fumble, and a lot of it does come down to "if." If JMU punts, pooches or tries the field goal instead of going for it on 4th down, if they converted on 4th down?xchinscratchx

and how about all those turnovers in other games... to the victor go the spoils! xnodx

Agreed, no doubt. Some decisions that Mickey made did cost us and allowed ASU to catch up and pull ahead. However, the 2 play 70 yard march down the field to your 5 was just great too. We just pushed it too much and paid the price.

I am sure that the JMU Nation will accept it as soon as ASU accepts the result Madison's victory in Harrisonburg.

BearGibson
November 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I have accepted the defeat, and in all honestly, am glad we didn't win. The loss was the wake up call that App needed...

I just can't wait to play JMU again, because this time, there will be no excuses, only a Mountaineer victory.