PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson Award Candidates Announced

smallcollegefbfan
November 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4193437

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I know that they are good coaches, but Moore and Matthews have a lot to work with and have pretty much done what's expected of them.

The tops for me would have to be Cosgrove, Pough, Ayers and Rocco (not necessarily in that order).

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'd give it to McBride of Weber State....

89Hen
November 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
1 and 1A...

Clint Conque, Central Arkansas - In just their third year as an FCS program and their second as a Southland Conference team, Conque led the Bears to the top of the league standings a 10-2 record and the No. 11 ranking in The Sports Network poll. It was the highest ranking ever for Central Arkansas in FCS. UCA is 24-10 since moving from Division II.

Rich Ellerson, Cal Poly - Facing a schedule that featured games against two FBS opponents to bookend the season, Ellerson guided the Mustangs to an 8-2 record, the Great West Conference title and a No. 3 national ranking. Cal Poly beat San Diego State and came within missed kicks of beating Montana and Wisconsin to finish with a perfect regular-season record.

smallcollegefbfan
November 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I know that they are good coaches, but Moore and Matthews have a lot to work with and have pretty much done what's expected of them.

The tops for me would have to be Cosgrove, Pough, Ayers and Rocco (not necessarily in that order).

I do agree that Cosgrove, Rocco, and Ayers should be there. Throw in McBride, Taylor, Conque, Ellerson, and even Frazier. The only thing about Pough is that we all expected SC State to be the champs so not sure I would put him in the top 5.

Agree somewhat Moore and Matthews.

Although there is one thing about each of what they did that makes them worthy to be on the list. Moore took a team in a rebuilding year, believe it or not, and kept them near the top.

Matthews led JMU to a win over ASU, a perfect league record, and the #1 ranking, although many expected them to.

It still is impressive to see a team stay at or near the top for so long and then to see another team have a perfect season and defeat the champs, despite some expecting they would. It is much tougher to do these things than to just say you can do them.

bandl
November 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Shouldn't a head coach be awarded for doing what is expected of a head coach?

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Frazier from PVAM?

Bell from Jacksonville? (Largest turnaround in FCS this year)

Big Dawg
November 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Joe Taylor, Florida A&M - This classy veteran moved from Hampton and took over a once-proud Rattler program that had fallen on hard times with a 3-8 record in 2007 and an eighth-place finish in the MEAC. He immediately instilled his brand of discipline and organization to the program and produced a 9-3 record and a tie for second place in the MEAC. He also had the Rattlers in the playoff discussion for the first time since they last participated in the postseason in 2001.

Big Dawg
November 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Frazier from PVAM?

FAMU had the largest turnaround...we went from 3-8 in 2007 to 9-3 in 2008

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
FAMU had the largest turnaround...we went from 3-8 in 2007 to 9-3 in 2008

So did Jacksonville. 3-8 to 9-3. Its a tie for most improved!xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Huh. No love for Coach McDonell, who lost one of the best QB's in FCS History, won his 4th consecutive game against an FBS opponent and IMPROVED the team's record 2 wins despite not having Ricky? Tough.

GrizNation93
November 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM
McBride deserves it.

knucklehead
November 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Rocco! Nuf Said!

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Cosgrove.. Maine fans were calling for his head earlier in the season

DetroitFlyer
November 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
If there were any justice in the world of FCS, Kerwin Bell wins hands down!

slycat
November 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Frazier from PVAM?

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Kabooom
November 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Henry Frazier....Prairie View

He has be in the top 4....Remember..as much as some of you want to look the other way when it comes to the SWAC, because of their policy with the NCAA, and their commitment to their alternative post season style, Praire View has gone from perrenial SWAC bottom feeder to the top...NO WAY...is Henry frazier Not in the top 4 for the Eddie Robinson Award...in my huble opinion..

Peems
November 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
McBride, Frazier, and the homer in me says Hauck(believe it or not!!) This has been his best coaching job by far, taking a team that many thought might finally miss the playoffs and getting a four seed. All deserving though...except Mickey:p

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
McBride.

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Weber St. coach would get my vote

skinny_uncle
November 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Exceeding expectations probably works better. Dale Lennon took an SIU squad that had graduated half its starters and was picked fifth in the MVFC in the preseason poll and marched to a 9-2 record and a conference title. The Saluki fanbase didn't even expect that when the season started.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Real, real tough. McBride, Taylor, Frazier, Cosgrove, Bell... all very deserving.

Of these, Joe Taylor really sticks out because I thought he had a multi-year rebuilding job ahead of him AND came to FAMU in the middle of recruiting season. Making a 9-3 team out of this team this year, IMO, is remarkable.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
This is what my ballot would look like

1. Frazier
2.Ayers
3. Ellerson

clenz
November 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
K.C. Keeler's hair....

wait....what?xdohx

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Rocco should get it after the turnaround he has done at Liberty.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
My vote would go to any coach with zero FCS losses...hmmmm

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Well i guess that leaves out Moore. LOL

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Homer says Ellerson he has just done a great job building and this maximising his program. Lennon at SIU has done a great job leading the Salukis past expectations in his first year.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well i guess that leaves out Moore. LOL

i can't stand jerry moore...so that doesn't bother me...I was actually implying it should be Mickey hands down....10 straight wins and you knocked off the 3 time defending national champs. They are the #1 seed and undefeated in fcs.....no one else should even be considered

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM
i can't stand jerry moore...

xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/thisplacesucks/computergif.gif

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM

yes I know and I get flamed for it all the time...but I've been going to App games since Sparky was the coach and I feel like I'm entitled to my opinion.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Coolxeyebrowx xeyebrowx xrotatehx xrotatehx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
i can't stand jerry moore...so that doesn't bother me...I was actually implying it should be Mickey hands down....10 straight wins and you knocked off the 3 time defending national champs. They are the #1 seed and undefeated in fcs.....no one else should even be considered

Agree that Matthews ought to get it before Moore this year, but still, you guys did a heck of a job to run the table in this SoCon. And what's not to like about Moore, anyways?

appstate1998
November 25th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Agree that Matthews ought to get it before Moore this year, but still, you guys did a heck of a job to run the table in this SoCon. And what's not to like about Moore, anyways?

Yeah I agree the last few years have been great, and this year we had a great run....but their were 16 years prior to that I spent watching Moore, and I'll just leave it at that and say there is a reason I-A schools weren't knocking down his door to come coach for them. There is also a reason Paul Johnson was scooped up after 5 years at Georgia Southern.

Anyways....like I said don't want to debate Moore because I'll be flamed to hell and back by the App fans who have the luxury of never seeing App lose a playoff game, or finish 4th in the conference, or lose to Western and UTC in the same year.

Speaking of Mickey winning it though....has anyone ever won the Eddie Robinson Award twice?

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Frazier was CSN's Coach of the Year last year and the Sports Network usually hands that guy the Robinson Award the following year if they keep it going. So, Henry, it's your year for the FCS Eddie.

UCABEARS75
November 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Admitting I am biased on the front end.....Clint Conque

Third year transitional program, getting better each year.

Great coach, great leader of young men.

The Sheriff
November 25th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Any chance Lennon wants to come back to UND and rebuild that defense by Sept 5, 2009 (UND vs. Texas Tech)?? Didn't think so...

Congrats to Coach Lennon who would be quite deserving of this honor.

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2008, 11:55 AM
McBride should win, but I think Hauck should be in the top 5.

CSUBUCDAD
November 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
That is what he gets paid to do. Special recognition is for doing above and beyond what you were thought NOT to be able to do, like win the conference. SC State was picked by everyone on the planet to win the MEAC. Let Pough win the championship, then give him the thing.