PDA

View Full Version : Who will win? Wofford at JMU

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Vote and Discuss

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
i am going with jmu bc i feel they are the better team and will be at home but i would imagine this to be a very close contest

OLDMAIN80
November 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM
obvious homer votexthumbsupx

slycat
November 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Close game. JMU comes through with a last second lateral play that goes the length of the field.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
JMU's offensive line dominates. Landers and company run the field. Wofford's O struggles to keep up.

neersnbeers
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM
JMU is tough! But I've got this crazy gut feeling......

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM
JMU because the playoffs would be boring without Mickey the Mouth.

th0m
November 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Truth xnodx

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM

I don't know. They've been pretty exciting the past few years and Mickey's seen a glorious first round exit each time...xbawlingx

jus10asu
November 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I went with JMU but I also have a gut feeling about this one. Wofford has a chip on their shoulder and as much as I'd love to see JMU again...I would love to see Wofford drop and L on the Dukes. Will this be the second annual "fumblin dukes" fest?

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know. They've been pretty exciting the past few years and Mickey's seen a glorious first round exit each time...xbawlingx

True, but maybe exciting for only 60% of AGS. (you know all of us App fans). I kid, I kid...it is always exciting. My favorite was WKU vs. McNeese St. Everyone had the Cowboys winning, that was an awesome playoff year.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Difference in this is the defenses, just as it was when Wofford played ASU. Wofford does not have the defensive speed to contend with teams like JMU and ASU.

T-Dogg
November 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Wofford, no question!

South Carolina Duke
November 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
It will be interesting. Both teams have a good ground attack. However, JMU's line will be the difference.

Wofford has real difficulty with throwing the ball.

jstclmet
November 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I voted for Wofford, because if Wofford & Nova won, Nova might get the home game. If JMU wins, like I'm expecting them too, we have to travel to Harrisonburg.

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
this voting is a lot closer than expected... has jmu played a running attack similar to wofford this year???

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Not this year.

APPStrongNC
November 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Wofford. If they play big time ball. However, I fear a blow out if they do not...

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Close game. JMU comes through with a last second lateral play that goes the length of the field.

Seriously, I will probably die if that happens.

Not figuratively. Literally.

OldSouth
November 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Two very disciplined teams. Whoever makes the least turnovers wins. I'm going with Wofford because I've never been so rudely treated by a so many fans in one place as I was at JMU. Different thread for that story.

Go Terriers.

South Carolina Duke
November 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
this voting is a lot closer than expected... has jmu played a running attack similar to wofford this year???

A lot of JMU haters participating, as usual.

JMU Newbill
November 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
JMU finally gets a home playoff game.... I can't see us going out in the first round. No doubt it will be close.... I am going to take a little different angle on this one though..... I think our ability to go deep on the play action pass leads to a few long touchdowns and makes the difference in the game.

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
JMU finally gets a home playoff game.... I can't see us going out in the first round. No doubt it will be close.... I am going to take a little different angle on this one though..... I think our ability to go deep on the play action pass leads to a few long touchdowns and makes the difference in the game.

Whatever would give you the idea? Brian Quick perhaps? ;) I think it should be a good game. If I was betting, I'd put my money on JMU just because I've seen both play in person. However, it is the playoffs and it should be interesting.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM

If you take the SoCon and CAA votes out, it's like 2 to 1...that's not a ratio...literally 2 to 1 (for those that actually counted, I did not.)

We haven't played a running attack like this, but I'm encourage by the fact that somebody said that Furman switched to a 4-2-5 (which we run) and had some success stopping the option. I also like the fact that we've got great DTs and a great safety to hopefully take away the middle option. If we can shut down the middle, I think that our LBs and DBs can take away the outside option with some success.

Wofford will still get a good amount of yards, though. You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it.

HIU 93
November 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'm going with JMU because I am biased.xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm going with JMU because I am biased.xthumbsupx

xlolx xlolx

neersnbeers
November 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I just think Ayers is willing to do anything to avoid another embarassing showing.

mtnman
November 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM
wofford just does not have the team speed on defence to stop jmu

JDC325
November 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
JMU is tough! But I've got this crazy gut feeling......

Ditto....you never know with the TO.

millwoga1
November 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
If you take the SoCon and CAA votes out, it's like 2 to 1...that's not a ratio...literally 2 to 1 (for those that actually counted, I did not.)

We haven't played a running attack like this, but I'm encourage by the fact that somebody said that Furman switched to a 4-2-5 (which we run) and had some success stopping the option. I also like the fact that we've got great DTs and a great safety to hopefully take away the middle option. If we can shut down the middle, I think that our LBs and DBs can take away the outside option with some success.

Wofford will still get a good amount of yards, though. You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it.

Wofford moved the ball with ease against Furman. I guess you didn't see the game. I watched the game and yes Wofford had more trouble moving the ball against Furman than say UTC but still moved the ball with ease.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Wofford moved the ball with ease against Furman. I guess you didn't see the game. I watched the game and yes Wofford had more trouble moving the ball against Furman than say UTC but still moved the ball with ease.

Wow. Touchy.

I did watch the first part of the game and Wofford was moving the ball well. A Wofford fan on here said that Furman switched to a 4-2-5 later and had some pretty good success with it. That's all I was saying.

If I knew I was Director of Scouting for AGS, I would've watched the whole game. Mea culpa.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hasn't this already been posted for discussion?xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hasn't this already been posted for discussion?xeyebrowx

Multiple times. But that's never stopped this board before.

I really think I've made the same post on two or three threads.

woffordgrad94
November 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I voted for my team, but we are going to have to play an almost perfect game to pull it off. I'm banking on us being fired up, movtivated, and playing that well.

I'm really surprised the vote is about even right now, though, to tell the truth.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Two very disciplined teams. Whoever makes the least turnovers wins. I'm going with Wofford because I've never been so rudely treated by a so many fans in one place as I was at JMU. Different thread for that story.

Go Terriers.

JMU fans treated me rudely so that means Wofford will win....ok, that makes a lot of sense.

DTSpider
November 24th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Last year UR was able to contain Wofford's option. I think that JMU will be able to do the same and I think that JMU will be really jacked up for the home crowd. Although it would not surprise me if Wofford is winning at halftime.

Dukester
November 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I agree with the ASU fans. JMU will have it's hands full with Wofford.

No cakewalk games like SC State for us. xsmhx

wocorebel
November 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I am a little biased because I am a Wofford grad, but Wofford has a really good shot at winning this game. Wofford plays really well against run oriented teams. If Wofford wins the TO battle, I think Wofford would win. Wofford lost to APP, I was upset, but it happened. We were running our offense for the first couple of drives then Ben got pass happy, and Marshall got hurt. If we continue to run the ball with a pass mixed in every 8 or 9 plays and Ben is on, I think Wofford will have it. People are talking about JMU's O-Line, I will take Wofford's O-Line against anyone. There is a reason that you can count the amount of sacks allowed on one hand. It will probably be a shot out but I think Wofford will prevail in the end. I think our Wildcard Robby Davis is going to be the deciding factor in this game and that McGee kid or whatever his name is will not get a chance to really run any kicks back. We will squib or sky kick everytime. Good luck to JMU, you will need it against a fired up Terrier team. This is going to be our 4th week in the playoffs, because we had to keep winning because the committee hates our school because we are great but really small. We deserved a home game. I believe that we are a top 6 team, the one APP is an outlier.

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I agree with the ASU fans. JMU will have it's hands full with Wofford.

No cakewalk games like SC State for us. xsmhx

xbawlingx To be the best, you've got to beat the best, right? Or, are you saying you did September 20th?

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I HAVE NO IDEA WHO WINS!

played them both, yet i have no idea why anything happened the way it did in either game. both were very weird games.

Wofford is a really weird team, who is quite sneaky. JMU is powerful and fast.

This is going to be a good game, very good.

FWIW, i voted Wofford, gotta stay in the SoCon

DX Man
November 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Wofford is playing with a chip on their shoulder. I pick the Terriers by 2.xnodx

StrikeJMU
November 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
The #1 team at home only winning by 5%? I smell some haters.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
People are talking about JMU's O-Line, I will take Wofford's O-Line against anyone. There is a reason that you can count the amount of sacks allowed on one hand. ...and that McGee kid or whatever his name is will not get a chance to really run any kicks back. We will squib or sky kick everytime.

I think the two O-line's are comparable, but with both teams' offensive schemes, you're not going to get a lot of sacks even if me and you are playing O-line. JMU's only given up 9 sacks to Wofford's 3 (JMU had 36 more attempts). It's just a product of the run-first offense.

That's fine not kicking it to McGee, we'll take field position in this type of game all day.

JMUSaxMRD
November 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Who is officiating this game? I hope they're good...

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Wofford is playing with a chip on their shoulder. I pick the Terriers by 2.xnodx

I posted this in another thread (maybe this one, they all run together), but JMU's pretty heavily invested in this one too. After last year's loss, they want a win real bad.

jlcharles
November 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm pulling for Wofford, sorry JMU fans. If Wofford wins and Nova wins, we get a home game from what I have heard.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It will be interesting. Both teams have a good ground attack. However, JMU's line will be the difference.

Wofford has real difficulty with throwing the ball.

Statistically speaking I think we throw it better than you but I could be wrong, it's close regardless.

Mountain Panther
November 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Jimmy Madison rolls....

appirishmen
November 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
LETS GO WOFFORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i say they come out to show that they should be there. it will be a close game. the team with the ball last wins.

GrizFamily
November 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
JMU on a last second hail mary!!

AppStateLumbee
November 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Wofford will win because they are out to prove themselves again. Just ask Montana what happened last year in their house. JMU is a great team but their luck will run short in this game. It is just a damn shame it's not gonna be on tv.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
JMU by at least a TD.

SeattleGriz
November 24th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Had to go with my gut and pick Wofford. Why? Because that article that came out on JMU about them being a team of destiny. After an article like that, only cosmic failure...

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
A lot of JMU fans on their site are basing their predictions on the App game xoopsx xoopsx

Montana did you guys think you were bigger, faster, and more athletic last year (NO smack)? I believe you were whether the fans thought it or not. Right now I think some of the folks at JMU cough cough Mickey Matthews cough cough are just trying to find ways to motivate our players. We thrive as an underdog!!

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
deadlocked at 84

StrikeJMU
November 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
yea, cause this poll will affect the game how?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
yea, cause this poll will affect the game how?

maybe it will be a score at some point?

South Carolina Duke
November 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
xbawlingx To be the best, you've got to beat the best, right? Or, are you saying you did September 20th?

We did beat a good Appy St. team on 9-20-08.

I have heard non stop that you are an improved team now and I would agree. However, so are the Dukes of JMU. I would hope that most teams progress and improve as their season goes on. Exceptions to this rule would be a few unmentioned teams in both the SoCon and the CAA.

Luck aside, and each team ASU and JMU have enjoyed luck but good teams find a way to win. That goes for ASU and the two teams that this thread is dedicated to.

GO Dukes!

potus#4
November 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM
A lot of JMU fans on their site are basing their predictions on the App game xoopsx xoopsx

I think most JMU fans are basing their predictions on the fact that JMU has had a better season in a tougher conference and is playing at home. Do you honestly think that ANY JMU fan is going to pick Wofford to win this game? That doesn't mean Wofford won't win obviously, but how can anyone be surprised that the JMU folks think they'll win?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think most JMU fans are basing their predictions on the fact that JMU has had a better season in a tougher conference and is playing at home. Do you honestly think that ANY JMU fan is going to pick Wofford to win this game? That doesn't mean Wofford won't win obviously, but how can anyone be surprised that the JMU folks think they'll win?

The vibe is basically "we'll be the crap out of them" that's my point. I don't really care what they think thoughxthumbsupx

StrikeJMU
November 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM
No matter how much some of these Wofford and App. State fans love holding hands, the fact of the matter is your coming to Bridgeforth Stadium with some of the rowdiest fans out there...best of luck, you'll need it.

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM

I don't think he was posting in response to JMU fans thinking they will win (and they have definitely earned their confidence). He was commenting on the JMU fans that think the App - Wofford score is indicative of the kind of team Wofford has. Trust me. It is not. I do not want to play them again.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I don't think he was posting in response to JMU fans thinking they will win (and they have definitely earned their confidence). He was commenting on the JMU fans that think the App - Wofford score is indicative of the kind of team Wofford has. Trust me. It is not. I do not want to play them again.

Pretty much, but if they want to think that ....I have no objectionxsmiley_wix

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I think JMU wins ...(hope I'm wrong)xwhistlex

potus#4
November 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Maybe, but that's not what he said.

Can any of the Wofford or App people here honestly say that if JMU had been completely dominated by App and if Wofford had played a very competitive game with App that you wouldn't let that affect your opinion of the JMU/Wofford matchup?

beauvighn
November 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
No matter how much some of these Wofford and App. State fans love holding hands, the fact of the matter is your coming to Bridgeforth Stadium with some of the rowdiest fans out there...best of luck, you'll need it.

And we are to begin feeling fear in 5....4...3...2....1.....

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe, but that's not what he said.

Can any of the Wofford or App people here honestly say that if JMU had been completely dominated by App and if Wofford had played a very competitive game with App that you wouldn't let that affect your opinion of the JMU/Wofford matchup?

I did mean that, see my post after his. It would really depend on how well JMU's season went, they respect Wofford because we played a near flawless season with the exception of one game. If JMU still went undefeated in the CAA after a 46 point loss to App then we would probably say that yes, it would be a good game.

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM

That's true. Beware of those scary purple streamers. xlolx

I kid, I kid...:D

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I would expect that each fan base would vote for their team....you be crazy if you did'nt.

I would rather hear real predictions other than...."We get a home game if JMU loses" or "I'm supporting my conference." Although both of these comments may be true, it's not quite the analysis I'm looking for. I've only seen Wofford play at App St on that Friday night and I'm sure they are a much better team than the final outcome. I'm just glad JMU is at home and I do expect a great game.

Both teams will be ready......can't wait for Saturday.

Go Dukes

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I see the poll is now 93-91 for JMU. I'll take bets with all 91 who think Wofford wins this.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

JMU Newbill
November 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Who cares what the poll says..... is it Saturday yet?

AppStateLumbee
November 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
First one to 200 wins the game ;)

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Judging by this poll, shame on JMU for thinking they could beat two teams from the SoCon in the same season....xnonono2x

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
this voting is a lot closer than expected... has jmu played a running attack similar to wofford this year???Just follow the full-back......

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Judging by this poll, shame on JMU for thinking they could beat two teams from the SoCon in the same season....xnonono2x

Jesus will you Dukes pipe down. Wofford is good football team. Get used to it. This game isn't a gimme. You'd better not treat it like one or you'll regret it.

You all know what happened last time someone big met Wofford in the playoffs...

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Lots of Bite - Terriers May Not Be Pushover

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=33542&CHID=3&sub=

Before you get too upset about the title, note that it's the newspaper article making the "may not" call. Every quote in the article is very respectful.

BULLDOG8180
November 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Wow. Touchy.

I did watch the first part of the game and Wofford was moving the ball well. A Wofford fan on here said that Furman switched to a 4-2-5 later and had some pretty good success with it. That's all I was saying.

If I knew I was Director of Scouting for AGS, I would've watched the whole game. Mea culpa.

Furman changed to the 4-2-5 to try to contain Armanti, and they did a pretty good job against ASU- not Wofford.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Jesus will you Dukes pipe down. Wofford is good football team. Get used to it. This game isn't a gimme. You'd better not treat it like one or you'll regret it.

You all know what happened last time someone big met Wofford in the playoffs...

Yep, Richmond beat them 28-10 in Round Two.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Furman changed to the 4-2-5 to try to contain Armanti, and they did a pretty good job against ASU- not Wofford.

Yea, I just reread the post I was relying on and I read it wrong the first time.

My bad, everybody.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Yep, Richmond beat them 28-10 in Round Two.

No no no, 21-10 it was a close game then we turned the ball over to the one.

South Carolina Duke
November 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM

And yet, Appy has been clamoring for a rematch against JMU? Fascinating!!!

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
No no no, 21-10 it was a close game then we turned the ball over to the one.

You're right, my bad. We have beaten so many SoCon teams the last two years that I get the scores mixed up. We beat Elon 28-10 this year.;)

blitz4
November 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
You're right, my bad. We have beaten so many SoCon teams the last two years that I get the scores mixed up. We beat Elon 28-10 this year.;)

If we hadnt been shipped to Montana in the 6 degree weather, you guys wouldnt have won the game last year. I hope we get you guys this year...you are the same team minues your NFL running back.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
If we hadnt been shipped to Montana in the 6 degree weather, you guys wouldnt have won the game last year. I hope we get you guys this year...you are the same team minues your NFL running back.

which really doesn't change a thing, if I remember correctly we held him in check pretty well, our offense just turned the ball over too much.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM

I would love to play Wofford...it would mean we both made the championship game! We are the same team minus an NFL running back, but plus a bunch of D linemen who were injured during the playoffs last year. It would be a great game, no doubt.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I would love to play Wofford...it would mean we both made the championship game! We are the same team minus an NFL running back, but plus a bunch of D linemen who were injured during the playoffs last year. It would be a great game, no doubt.

I'll play this game first though OKxsmiley_wix

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Interesting overview of Wofford's offense:
http://photontorpedotube.blogspot.com/2008/09/woffords-wingbone-offense-gun-option.html

blitz4
November 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
The fact that Wofford averages more passing yards per game than JMU tells me that they are in for an A** kicking.

WOW

JMad03
November 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
All that it tells me is that Wofford had a higher average. That's it.
You can have all the stats you want. I'll take the win.

ASU
November 26th, 2008, 02:59 AM
All that it tells me is that Wofford had a higher average. That's it.
You can have all the stats you want. I'll take the win.

So......what excuses will JMU fans make this year after they lose in the first round? After all, JMU fans Always have a bunch ready.....the world is against you ...........remember. I actually heard that from a JMU fan.

JMU Newbill
November 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Its only Wednesday!?!?!?! Any chance they will reschedule this game to Thanksgiving Day and televise it on ESPN? I'm not sure I can wait another 3 days.

T-Dog
November 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM
The talk of this game on here and on JMU's boards is reminding me a lot of the Wofford/Montana talk last year (although Griz fans respect Wofford more).

Good sign for the Ankle Biters? I think so. xnodx

Myself, I'm a bit torn. I would love a rematch with JMU on 12/19, but I don't root against SoCon brethren in the playoffs, especially against the CAA.

And for the JMU posters thinking us App fans who are rooting for Wofford are just bitter, that's not true. We want our conference to be the best so we hope SoCon teams can beat other teams when it really matters. You just happen to be playing a SoCon team this week. xthumbsupx

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM
So......what excuses will JMU fans make this year after they lose in the first round? After all, JMU fans Always have a bunch ready.....the world is against you ...........remember. I actually heard that from a JMU fan.

Probably the same excuses AppY used when they lost to JMU this year :D

19Duke97
November 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM
It seems to me many fans are voting with their heart not their head on this, so Wofford is keeping it close in the poll. Trying not to be a homer, I say JMU is a bit more athletically talented, and we are at home. WC has a good disciplined team, no doubt, and I think will keep it close, but I say Dukes by 10, 45-35. However, if we get up early and put a few fast scores up, we could blow this game wide open. Wofford does not run a come from behind type of offense. They have to play the type of game we played against App St last year, but not fumble the ball. :(

appfan2008
November 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
amazing how close this vote is for the game involving the number one team in the country in the first round!

terrierbob
November 26th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Anyone know the line last year MT vs. Wofford and this year's?

terrierbob
November 26th, 2008, 07:32 AM
It seems to me many fans are voting with their heart not their head on this, so Wofford is keeping it close in the poll. Trying not to be a homer, I say JMU is a bit more athletically talented, and we are at home. WC has a good disciplined team, no doubt, and I think will keep it close, but I say Dukes by 10, 45-35. However, if we get up early and put a few fast scores up, we could blow this game wide open. Wofford does not run a come from behind type of offense. They have to play the type of game we played against App St last year, but not fumble the ball. :(
IF we can start with a couple of scores, including drives with passing, we have a good chance. If we find ourselves behind more than 14-0, I think it will be a Terrier L.

Saint3333
November 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
And yet, Appy has been clamoring for a rematch against JMU? Fascinating!!!

I never like facing the team we've beaten in the regular season in the postseason. It is difficult to beat a good team twice in a year.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I never like facing the team we've beaten in the regular season in the postseason. It is difficult to beat a good team twice in a year.

Thats why the possibility of playing Villanova in the 2nd round makes me sick to my stomach. I can't handle any more last second hail mary's xeekx

Mntneer
November 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
JMU is a very talented team no doubt. But you can't achieve the level of success they've had this season without a bit of luck, and personally, I think that luck is gonna run out before 'nooga. Maybe not here in the first round, but it's coming IMO.

19Duke97
November 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM
JMU is a very talented team no doubt. But you can't achieve the level of success they've had this season without a bit of luck, and personally, I think that luck is gonna run out before 'nooga. Maybe not here in the first round, but it's coming IMO.

We've only had one win where luck really had an impact (@Villanova). Every other game was won/lost outright IMO. IN addition to luck, we have a lot of talent, and a desire to win. If you want to talk about luck, we had a lifetime of bad luck last year! xrotatehx

WOCO
November 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I think the reason that socon people are picking wofford is because they know what wofford is all about. I understand that JMU is basing everthing off of the halloween game and I understand that. Hell, if the only game that I saw texas tech play was oklahoma, I would assume that anybody could be them too. I just think people that know wofford football have a deeper understanding of what wofford football is all about and that we aren't a pushover.

19Duke97
November 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I think the reason that socon people are picking wofford is because they know what wofford is all about. I understand that JMU is basing everthing off of the halloween game and I understand that. Hell, if the only game that I saw texas tech play was oklahoma, I would assume that anybody could be them too. I just think people that know wofford football have a deeper understanding of what wofford football is all about and that we aren't a pushover.

No no, we are basing it on the way JMU has played. it's nothing against WC. We know we have a good team, and we are confident that we will show that again - I can't stress enough that this team has the "it" factor - regardless of how the game ends, we know that this team will not give up. I think most JMU fans realize that WC has a good team, hence why we were irritated we got you all as the draw in the first round. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM

FWIW, I've seen Wofford three times this year (first half of Furman, Elon, and App). I watched some of the Ga.So. game, but not enough to say I really saw them.

I am not taking them lightly. This is a tough game. Wofford looked like a completely different team against Elon than it did against App. The question is: was it Wofford or their opponent that did this? I always think it's somewhere in the middle, so I'm encouraged that we are a lot like App, but know that Wofford will be better than they were on Halloween.

ASU was spectacular on that night offensively. Wofford started out strong, but fell off. In the Elon game, it was never really that close. I felt like Elon gave up after a while.

Anyway, I say all that to say that none of the previous games matter. It's a different team, different time. Both teams will be ready to play.

WOCO
November 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
FWIW, I've seen Wofford three times this year (first half of Furman, Elon, and App). I watched some of the Ga.So. game, but not enough to say I really saw them.

I am not taking them lightly. This is a tough game. Wofford looked like a completely different team against Elon than it did against App. The question is: was it Wofford or their opponent that did this? I always think it's somewhere in the middle, so I'm encouraged that we are a lot like App, but know that Wofford will be better than they were on Halloween.

ASU was spectacular on that night offensively. Wofford started out strong, but fell off. In the Elon game, it was never really that close. I felt like Elon gave up after a while.

Anyway, I say all that to say that none of the previous games matter. It's a different team, different time. Both teams will be ready to play.

That game went wrong when wofford got out of character. I have never ever ever ever, seen wofford throw three straight passes on a drive and they weren't even play action especially when we weren't being stopped running the ball. We didn't play our normal game and fell behind. Once we fall behind, we can be in a little trouble. The other thing was AE. He might have had his best passing game of his life in that game. I think he had 2 incompletions and they were drops. His ability to run kept plays alive but he was perfect that night. Much respect to RL but if AE is on like that, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to stop them.

I hope this doesn't turn into another AE vs RL thread. I'm just talking about the halloween game.

Hoboken Dukes
November 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
jmu 52
wofford 24

WOCO
November 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
From GoUpstate.com
Spartanburg Herald Journal

Due to technical difficulties, coaches from Wofford and James Madison weren’t able to exchange film by computer Sunday night after it was announced they would be paired up in the NCAA Division I FCS playoffs.

So they did it the old-fashioned way.

Wofford running backs coach Aaron Johnson and video coordinator Yon Boone, both rookies on the staff, drove halfway to Harrisonburg, Va., a three-hour trip, to meet two coaches from James Madison. They made the package swap at a hotel parking lot near Wytheville, Va.

“You do what you have to do,” Wofford head coach Mike Ayers said. “We needed to start working on that game tape Monday morning.”

That was also the first time James Madison head coach Mickey Matthews got a good look at Wofford, which runs a unique triple-option offense with various formations and motions. The Terriers have used it to rank second nationally this season in rushing (343 yards) and total offense (470 yards) per game.

“They take the ball outside as much as anyone I’ve ever seen in recent years,” Matthews said. “… They run every option known to man. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team run as many options as they run. Every option you can think of, they run it at some time during the game.”

James Madison (10-1), the No. 1 overall seed in the playoffs, has not faced a team with Wofford’s style of offense. The Dukes don’t see the option in the Colonial Athletic Association, and Matthews said that causes some concern.

“Call Miami and ask them,” he said, referring to the Hurricanes’ 41-23 defeat last week to Georgia Tech, where former Georgia Southern and Navy coach Paul Johnson has taken the option offense. “When you play option defense, it’s all about responsibility and assignments. It only takes one breakdown for a big play. It’s something we’re really going to have to work on all week.”

Even Southern Conference teams that prepare for Wofford’s offense every year have trouble stopping it. Furman coach Bobby Lamb, whose team lost 35-10 last week at Gibbs Stadium, said the Terriers provide a difficult matchup in the playoffs — even for a team ranked No. 1 in the country with 10 straight victories.

“I’ve always said that if they get into the playoffs, they’re going to be very dangerous because of what they do on offense,” Lamb said. “People aren’t used to seeing it. They can really keep the ball away from you and make it hard on you.”

After the first quarter, for example, Furman only had six more possessions the rest of the game. Wofford was 3-for-3 on fourth downs after going for it nine times and converting five the week before at Samford. That makes long drives seem an eternity to the other team waiting for a chance with the ball.

“What we do from an offensive standpoint, I hope, gives us an advantage,” Ayers said. “There are things we can do to help ourselves. If you give them too many opportunities with the football, you’re probably not going to win that game. We’ve got to move the football, take time off the clock and, hopefully, have a chance at the end.”

In its past three games, James Madison allowed 94 rushing yards on 31 carries against Delaware, 76 yards on 21 carries against William & Mary, and last week just 18 yards on 18 carries against Towson. Matthews said the Dukes had work to do on defense after giving up a combined 50 points at eventual playoff teams Richmond and Villanova.

“We couldn’t stop anybody. We really struggled,” Matthews said. “We realized after Villanova ran over us (for 229 rushing yards) that we had to do something or we weren’t going to win any more games. We weren’t going to be the team we wanted to be.”

Saint3333
November 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm surprised how even the votes are here. I was expecting more of a 70-30 split lean to JMU.

JMU's defense isn't getting the credit it deserves.

th0m
November 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Looks like this game will be close to a sell-out. As of yesterday, 11,000 tickets have been sold.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
That game went wrong when wofford got out of character. I have never ever ever ever, seen wofford throw three straight passes on a drive and they weren't even play action especially when we weren't being stopped running the ball. We didn't play our normal game and fell behind. Once we fall behind, we can be in a little trouble. The other thing was AE. He might have had his best passing game of his life in that game. I think he had 2 incompletions and they were drops. His ability to run kept plays alive but he was perfect that night. Much respect to RL but if AE is on like that, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to stop them.

I hope this doesn't turn into another AE vs RL thread. I'm just talking about the halloween game.

actually we did, we wasted a possession against USC and we were up by like two scores against Elon.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM
James Madison
An intriguing matchup, especially given it's the first round, and it involves the #1 seed. Wofford is a tough out, and that offense can give you fits if you've never seen it or haven't prepared for it well enough. Madison, on the other hand, merely ran the table with a schedule that included the tougher division of the toughest conference, plus the thrice-defending champs. The loss to Duke is a distant memory. Good teams find ways to win close games, and they've done it all year. I think JMU is the best team in the field, and they'll outlast the Terriers at home

terrierbob
November 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thats why the possibility of playing Villanova in the 2nd round makes me sick to my stomach. I can't handle any more last second hail mary's xeekx

We may be able to help you that anxiety.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM
JMU by 10.

jmufan999
November 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I went with JMU but I also have a gut feeling about this one. Wofford has a chip on their shoulder and as much as I'd love to see JMU again...I would love to see Wofford drop and L on the Dukes. Will this be the second annual "fumblin dukes" fest?

with all due respect, this "chip on the shoulder" argument is so trite and usually not a factor in a game at all. this phrase is a media creation and it's gotten out of hand.

both teams are going to play as hard as they ever have. it's the playoffs, for god's sakes! you could say JMU has a chip on its shoulder after last year at ASU. i don't feel this argument holds water.

Monarch History
November 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Upsets do happen in the playoffs, but not in this game. JMU 28- Wofford 17.

AppStateLumbee
November 26th, 2008, 04:21 PM
It looks like JMU might just win the game after all.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM
with all due respect, this "chip on the shoulder" argument is so trite and usually not a factor in a game at all. this phrase is a media creation and it's gotten out of hand.

both teams are going to play as hard as they ever have. it's the playoffs, for god's sakes! you could say JMU has a chip on its shoulder after last year at ASU. i don't feel this argument holds water.

I think fans are the ones with chips on their shoulders. Like the ones with the "Revenge is Sweet - Beat App State" shirts at JMU in September (I also donated to a charity at the game to get a "Beat App State" cup). However, I doubt the players were like that. I want to play Montana so bad I can't stand it, but only because of 2000. None of the players on ASU's roster were at App then, probably not even in high school. xbawlingx But, I was a sophomore.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think fans are the ones with chips on their shoulders. Like the ones with the "Revenge is Sweet - Beat App State" shirts at JMU in September (I also donated to a charity at the game to get a "Beat App State" cup). However, I doubt the players were like that. I want to play Montana so bad I can't stand it, but only because of 2000. None of the players on ASU's roster were at App then, probably not even in high school. xbawlingx But, I was a sophomore.

I actually do think the players for JMU had a chip on there shoulder, I mean they could have won last year and it got taken away.

Longhorn
November 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I actually do think the players for JMU had a chip on there shoulder, I mean they could have won last year and it got taken away.

You are correct.

If any of the doubters reading this had the chance to speak to some of the JMU players (as I have) it wouldn't take you long to realize they are very motivated by last year's loss to ASU. Not sure that amounts to a "chip on the shoulder" but JMU as a team feels they have unfinished business to take care of...whether that motivation carries them all the way to a NC win is another matter. But JMU's players and coaches are focused in a way that I've never seen them...even more so than in 2004.

phoenix3
November 26th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Wofford is one of the toughest teams to prepare for from a defensive standpoint. The question is can WOCO stop the JMU offense? I think Wofford surprises JMU.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
You are correct.

If any of the doubters reading this had the chance to speak to some of the JMU players (as I have) it wouldn't take you long to realize they are very motivated by last year's loss to ASU. Not sure that amounts to a "chip on the shoulder" but JMU as a team feels they have unfinished business to take care of...whether that motivation carries them all the way to a NC win is another matter. But JMU's players and coaches are focused in a way that I've never seen them...even more so than in 2004.

So, you disagree with jmufan999? I think the players are better at putting off loses than fans are--flat out, they have to be. Not everyone on that losing team (JMU) played this year and not everyone that played this year was on that team. I suspect a few might have, but most realized (at least I hope) that a game in September is no where near as important as one in November/ December. So are you saying ASU was JMU's Super Bowl?

Appaholic69
November 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
This is going to be a great game. Probably one of the closest games in the first round. I think the Woof end up pulling it out. JMU has had a great season but Woff is really hard to gameplan.

Either way, the winning team comes out of the game really banged up and exposed to the next round. Its going to take a lot of great plays to win the game and the next opponent will get a good look at what is there to be offered.

Appaholic69
November 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Also, not to be too much of a homer, but as far the chip-on-shoulder thing goes.

If, just if, it all works out that APP and the dukies play each other in the NC game, you can damn well count on APP being ready and remembering giving away the game in the second half.

Lighting won't strike twice for JMU if we meet in the championship!

AppMAN04
November 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I would like for a fellow SOCON member to win, but JMU is number for a reason and I believe Wofford will experience this first hand.

Longhorn
November 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
So, you disagree with jmufan999?

Yes I do. Isn't that obvious? xrotatehx

I think the players are better at putting off loses than fans are--flat out, they have to be. Not everyone on that losing team (JMU) played this year and not everyone that played this year was on that team. I suspect a few might have, but most realized (at least I hope) that a game in September is no where near as important as one in November/ December. So are you saying ASU was JMU's Super Bowl?

You're point is well taken, but there's a difference between a player (or a team) "putting off" a loss, and using the memory of that loss...particularly a loss as significant as the one JMU suffered in Boone...as motivation.

I know the JMU players well, and the ASU loss last year was a galvanizing experience for those young men. They have indeed moved past last year's loss to ASU...but the JMU players and coaches haven't forgotten it. They have used it to set goals and to motivate themselves towards winning the NC. And if you truly think that this year's JMU team is somehow comprised of many different players who have forgotten ("put off") the memory of last year's ASU game...just check the JMU roster. You're wrong. Very wrong.

The vast majority of the JMU team that competed against ASU in the first round loss last year are back playing this year. That's not a "few players" back...in point of fact there were only about 4 senior starters lost to graduation from last year's JMU team. But the real point here...and make no mistake about this...the returning JMU players have used the memory of their disappointment in the way the '07 season ended as motivation for every game they've played this year. Every game. Not just the early season ASU contest.

This motivation started long before the first game in September. Virtually every member of the JMU team remained in H'Burg for voluntary summer workouts with the express goal of getting better and winning the NC. In fact, it was the largest group of JMU players ever to stay and work out during the summer. It included all the starters, and you could count the kids who weren't there on one hand and have digits left over. This group believes that the only way for the '08 season to end successfully is to play for, and win, the NC in December. That goal has never changed, and each victory throughout the season has been but one more step towards achieving that goal.

So, if your question/suggestion is "did the JMU FB team see the early season contest against ASU as a "super bowl?" the answer is "no". In contrast, I'm sure some JMU and ASU fans may have seen it that way, but not the JMU players. The JMU team saw the early season ASU game as nothing more than one contest that had to be won on the road to Chatty. And now that the regular season has ended, and the team has secured the #1 seed, their real work has begun.

Now, should JMU and ASU be fortunate enough to meet again this season we fans can talk about "super bowls". ;) However, Nova and Richmond may have something to say about that...they field terrific teams this year...and there are a couple of heavyweight squads out West who could derail our efforts. So, until JMU and ASU meet in Chatty (should that come to pass) both teams have their work cut out for them. For JMU that work starts with Wofford, and win or lose, JMU will come prepared this postseason to each and every contest because this team knows how painful it is to lose, and they never want to experience that feeling again.

ASUMountaineer
November 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Yes I do. Isn't that obvious? xrotatehx

You're point is well taken, but there's a difference between a player (or a team) "putting off" a loss, and using the memory of that loss...particularly a loss as significant as the one JMU suffered in Boone...as motivation.

I know the JMU players well, and the ASU loss last year was a galvanizing experience for those young men. They have indeed moved past last year's loss to ASU...but the JMU players and coaches haven't forgotten it. They have used it to set goals and to motivate themselves towards winning the NC. And if you truly think that this year's JMU team is somehow comprised of many different players who have forgotten ("put off") the memory of last year's ASU game...just check the JMU roster. You're wrong. Very wrong.

The vast majority of the JMU team that competed against ASU in the first round loss last year are back playing this year. That's not a "few players" back...in point of fact there were only about 4 senior starters lost to graduation from last year's JMU team. But the real point here...and make no mistake about this...the returning JMU players have used the memory of their disappointment in the way the '07 season ended as motivation for every game they've played this year. Every game. Not just the early season ASU contest.

This motivation started long before the first game in September. Virtually every member of the JMU team remained in H'Burg for voluntary summer workouts with the express goal of getting better and winning the NC. In fact, it was the largest group of JMU players ever to stay and work out during the summer. It included all the starters, and you could count the kids who weren't there on one hand and have digits left over. This group believes that the only way for the '08 season to end successfully is to play for, and win, the NC in December. That goal has never changed, and each victory throughout the season has been but one more step towards that achieving that goal.

So, if your question/suggestion is "did the JMU FB team see the early season contest against ASU as a "super bowl" the answer is "no". In contrast, I'm sure some JMU and ASU fans may have seen it that way, but not the JMU players. The JMU team saw the early season ASU game as nothing more than one contest that had to be won on the road to Chatty. And now that the regular season has ended, and the team has secured the #1 seed, their real work has begun.

Now, should JMU and ASU be fortunate enough to meet again this season we fans can talk about "super bowls". ;) However, Nova and Richmond may have something to say about that...they field terrific teams this year...and there are a couple of heavyweight squads out West who could derail our efforts. So, until JMU and ASU meet in Chatty (should that come to pass) both teams have their work cut out for them. For JMU that work starts with Wofford, and win or lose, JMU will come prepared this postseason to each and every contest because this team knows how painful it is to lose, and they never want to experience that feeling again.

True that...one bowl that would actually matter. I think we can agree on that. xpeacex

Saint3333
November 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM

I'd like to echo this statement, there are 5 to 6 teams outside of ASU and JMU capable of winning it all and I feel both of our respective fanbases are forgetting this.

bulldog
November 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm going with Wofford because I've never been so rudely treated by a so many fans in one place as I was at JMU.

I know how you can be treated worse. Try walking around in Boone wearing a JMU t-shirt.xeyebrowx

bulldog
November 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
If turnovers are even or in JMU's favor, I see a 20-point+ win for the Dukes.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
If turnovers are even or in JMU's favor, I see a 20-point+ win for the Dukes.

well if its 0-0 I can see Wofford winning it.

bulldog
November 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM
JMU is a very talented team no doubt. But you can't achieve the level of success they've had this season without a bit of luck, and personally, I think that luck is gonna run out before 'nooga

"I recruit my luck."
Mickey Matthews

StrikeJMU
November 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
headed down to Harrisonburg tomorrow, I'm pumped. Hope the weather is decent, rain wise.

Turfwar
November 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
The game is officially now a sellout, according to my sources, it will be a great game day for all to enjoy. The weather will be great, the rain is not a threat now, the stadium will be around 40-45 degrees at kickoff, and the sun will be down soon after.

All in all it will be a great day to be a JMU fan, the place will be rockin.

In closing, I hope everyone from Wofford thoroughly enjoys the trip up, I wish you all safe passage to and from the game.

chiapet9
November 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The game is officially now a sellout, according to my sources, it will be a great game day for all to enjoy. The weather will be great, the rain is not a threat now, the stadium will be around 40-45 degrees at kickoff, and the sun will be down soon after.

SELLOUT! Cannot wait!

Turfwar
November 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Well what I was told, it appears they are still selling some seats in the endzone, a friend just called and told me, so people should check with JMU tomorrow to be 100%. It could be a "Projected Sellout" or whatever they call it over there.

StrikeJMU
November 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM
how can you find out where your seats are?

chiapet9
November 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
how can you find out where your seats are?

My guess is to call the ticket office. I'm sure they can tell you where your seats are.

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Great job by JMU fans!xthumbsupx Sellouts are rare for Thanksgiving weekend games. I believe ASU is the only school that's pulled that off recently.

proasu89
November 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Great job by JMU fans!xthumbsupx Sellouts are rare for Thanksgiving weekend games. I believe ASU is the only school that's pulled that off recently.

Props to you but I don't think that we have ever come close to selling out. I think we got close to the listed capacity in 06 vs. Coastal, but we would have filled up the grass bank if there had been a demand.

GaSouthern
November 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO WOFFORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wofford has a worse playoff history than just about anyone as far as getting shafted goes.

th0m
November 28th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Of course, lil' Bridgeforth isn't as big as some other stadiums out there, but at least we're showing the committee we can handle a home-game just fine!

woffordgrad94
November 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I just realized I never gave a score for this game. JMU kicks a FG witha couple of minutes left, and WC scores the winning TD on 4th down with just seconds remaining! :) WC-35, JMU-31

terrierbob
November 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM

All in all it will be a great day to be a JMU fan, the place will be rockin.

In closing, I hope everyone from Wofford thoroughly enjoys the trip up, I wish you all safe passage to and from the game.
What's the link to madzone?

JMU Newbill
November 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
i would predict a score, but someone from the SoCon would just start an argument about how i don't respect wofford or that we are overlooking them.

looking forward to a great game.

South Carolina Duke
November 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
What's the link to madzone?

jmusports.com

Then look in the right hand side for a link to the madizone.
Good luck.

Henny
November 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Wofford is enjoyable to watch for someone who has an affection for a complex running game with a strategy that can(and will) confuse opponents. This is a close replica to the UD teams from the early 90's that played Marshall and had a great deal of success before the athletic ability took over. Make no mistake Mikey's Marshall roots are deep and JMU, like Marshall are loaded with athletes.

ASUMountaineer
November 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
i would predict a score, but someone from the SoCon would just start an argument about how i don't respect wofford or that we are overlooking them.

looking forward to a great game.

Only if you predict an outlandish score, if you make a prediction that is withing say, 14 points no one would say that. A lot of JMU fans have chips on their shoulders (as do some ASU fans)...don't understand that. Of course, I have seen a thread on here called, "Wofford gets no respect. Don't get it." However, I have seen one called "JMU gets no respect. Don't get it."

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53149

JMad03
November 28th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I think its going to be a shootout. Very similiar to the first part of the ASU/Wofford game. The question will come down to which defense steps up will be the ultimate deciding factor in this game.
To Wofford fans: have a safe trip. Hope the JMU fans treat you with respect. Can't guarantee any A-hole fans won't come your way as with any fanbase, but hope they are few and far between. Looks like perfect weather for a great game.
Go Dukes!