PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel Has Begun

snakeeyes
November 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
The announcements of coaches departing has begun. What is the status of your school's coaching staff?

CSUBUCDAD
November 24th, 2008, 06:50 AM
No changes coming at Chuck South that I have heard about yet.

snakeeyes
November 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Please post any openings, rumors, etc. Let's keep this thread alive.

andy7171
November 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Gordy still has 2 years left on his contract, and with a new basketball arena and new field hockey field in the works, Towson isn't going to buy him out.

I do hope they get a new OC.

NashMoc
November 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Chattanooga has had an opening for over a month now. We should have a new coach by Christmas. Lots of names being talked about. The most likely are:

Mark Hudspeth, HC North Alabama
Jason Simpson, HC UT-Martin (former Moc OC)
Tony Ball, Asst. RB coach Georgia (former Moc)
Randy Sanders, QB coach Kentucky
Dale Jones, LB coach Appalachian
Russ Huesman, DC Richmond (former Moc)
Dave Clawson, OC Tennessee
Ron Roberts, HC Delta State

These are just a few of the names being mentioned

ncbears
November 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Despite only 3 wins in the past 3 seasons, no word on Scott Downing at UNC.

YaleFootballFan
November 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
After 12 years as head coach, Jack Siedlecki is out at Yale. According to the New Haven Register's Yale Football Blog (http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/) there are "rumors that the entire staff were being dismissed" as well.

HoyaMetanoia
November 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
After 12 years as head coach, Jack Siedlecki is out at Yale. According to the New Haven Register's Yale Football Blog (http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/) there are "rumors that the entire staff were being dismissed" as well.

Wow.

And we can't get rid of a guy who has gone 1-16 in his conference career?

Different football standards apparently.

griz37
November 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Joe Glenn returns to Greeley?

JayJ79
November 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Denver Johnson is out at Illinois State.
http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39013&SPID=2899&DB_OEM_ID=7600&ATCLID=3621663

grizbeer
November 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM
This 1 win season was nothing like the last 2. I can see UNC at 6-5 next year.

CSU Girl
November 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Anyone at Youngstown have any clue what's going to happen there?

Eaglesrus
November 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
As far as I know we're set. Man, it felt good to type that!

SandMountainDemon
November 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Scott Stoker is out at Northwestern State, remainder of staff is expected to get the boot sometime next week.

catamount man
November 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Dennis Wagner fired DL coach John Scott after the Appalachian State game. John Scott was the lone holdover from the Kent Briggs era.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GrizRchattybound
November 26th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Joe Glenn returns to Greeley?

That was my thoughts when I heard he was out at Cowpie U

MountaineerMania54
November 27th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Chattanooga has had an opening for over a month now. We should have a new coach by Christmas. Lots of names being talked about. The most likely are:

Mark Hudspeth, HC North Alabama
Jason Simpson, HC UT-Martin (former Moc OC)
Tony Ball, Asst. RB coach Georgia (former Moc)
Randy Sanders, QB coach Kentucky
Dale Jones, LB coach Appalachian
Russ Huesman, DC Richmond (former Moc)
Dave Clawson, OC Tennessee
Ron Roberts, HC Delta State

These are just a few of the names being mentioned

No way Dale Jones leaves for UTC...he has been offered numerous positions at Univ. of Tenn (where he was a star LB) and has turned them down

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
UTC AD Rick Hart has done a good job of keeping actual HFC applicant names within the committee--but he has expressed that the people who have contacted him (and vice versa) that are nterested are at a high level. He has arranged for boosters to pledge money to get the salary up to where it needs to be (Allison was hired at about $120,000 6 years ago) to hire a first rate coach, extra money in recruiting budget, and some facility upgrades (some are finished, one is finishing, one or two in the plans).

Current poll on mocfans.com ranking coaching preferences:

1. Mark Husdpeth
2. Joe Glenn
3. Dave Clawson
4. Randy Sanders
5. Tony Ball
6. Mike Sewak
7. Jason Simpson
8. Russ Huesman

I have added 7 and 8 b/c they have been discussed in the Chattanooga Times-Fress as candidates, along with Ball, Sanders, and Clawson. Simpson was the OC at UTC a few years back, while Huesman--DC at Richmond-- (along with Tony Ball) is a former Moc player. Paper also speculated it might be nice to have Clawson as HFC, and bring Huesman back as DC. Of course all is speculation at this point. Hart has said he will take his time and not rush things, even if it means missing some recruiting time.

We expect the coach to be one of substance--and have reason to believe at least some of these are possible candidates. I do not know how much the new football coach will be paid--but UTC found $300,000 to hire Jeff Lebo to coach basketball a few years back.

Demon Fan
December 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Scott Stoker is out at Northwestern State, remainder of staff is expected to get the boot sometime next week.

Let's hope that your information about that is faulty! I suspect that the new coach will have the option of who "gets the boot". Defensive Coordinator Brad Laird is one very bright spot on that staff. I don't see the athletic department tossing the baby out with the bath water.

carney2
December 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM

I must have been napping. Didn't have any inkling of this until I saw this post. What's the story? Was he fired? One of the articles said he "retired" to accept another position in the athletic department.

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
There is a story on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3728570

putter
December 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
There have been rumors about Bobby Hauck being looked at by San Diego St and others. People have mentioned Washington as he used to be an assistant there but that would be quite a jump. Of course, he has been rumored to be leaving the last 3 years so who knows.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2008, 04:32 PM
There have been rumores about Bobby Hauck being looked at by San Diego St and others. People have mentioned Washington as he used to be an assistant there but that would be quite a jump. Of course, he has been rumored to be leaving the last 3 years so who knows.

He only signed a contract extension of 1 year, correct?

putter
December 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
He only signed a contract extension of 1 year, correct?

I believe that is correct.

Ronbo
December 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
A guy posted over at eGriz that the message boards in San Diego are abuzz with Bobby Hauck as the front runner for the San Diego State job. He was a finalist the last time. $700,000 a year with OC and DC getting $190,000 each makes it a no brainer if he's chosen.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
A guy posted over at eGriz that the message boards in San Diego are abuzz with Bobby Hauck as the front runner for the San Diego State job. He was a finalist the last time. $700,000 a year with OC and DC getting $190,000 each makes it a no brainer if he's chosen.

Wyoming is a better program than SDSU right now and we know how that worked out for Joe xrolleyesx

Big Al
December 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hauck would be a fool to take that job. SDSU is where coaches go to die.

That said, here's to Hauck going to SDSU! ;D

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Get a 5 year contract. Live on $350,000, bank the rest. If you get fired after 3 years you get 1.4 million. Not bad.

Henwatcher
December 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
UD stuck with Keeler until new AD takes over.

GRZZ
December 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM

You think maybe Joe Glenn at UNC? Back to his longest stop?

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Glenn to UNC might be a possibility if they fire Downing. At 59, he also might look at the how much the job pays as well.

dbackjon
December 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
One can only hope NAU has an opening.

UNH 40
December 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
I read the other day that former UNH OC Chip Kelley is going to be interviewed for the Syracuse HC job on Wednesday. Not that that has much to do with the FCS just interesting.

utcfan
December 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't think the SU faithfull would be happy with the hiring of an FCS OC.

bulldog10jw
December 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I must have been napping. Didn't have any inkling of this until I saw this post. What's the story? Was he fired? One of the articles said he "retired" to accept another position in the athletic department.

I think the phrase "kicked upstairs" fits.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Get a 5 year contract. Live on $350,000, bank the rest. If you get fired after 3 years you get 1.4 million. Not bad.

Negotiate a house, live on $50K a year, bank the rest, get fired after 3 years and get LOTS more!

UNH 40
December 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't think the SU faithfull would be happy with the hiring of an FCS OC.

He is now the OC of the Oregon Ducks. If you have ever seen the type of offense that he runs (whether at UNH or Oregon) you would understand why they should be dying to aquire him.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
He is now the OC of the Oregon Ducks. If you have ever seen the type of offense that he runs (whether at UNH or Oregon) you would understand why they should be dying to aquire him.

No question. But, Chip would have to first turn down the Oregon Democratic Committee's nomination for Governor to move to upstate NY. xthumbsupx

charliej
December 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
UD stuck with Keeler until new AD takes over.

First time I ever heard the term "stuck with" applied to Keeler.xlolx

utcfan
December 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Thought he was still at UNH--my bad.

utcfan
December 2nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Some "confirmed" applicants for the UTC job: Hugh Freeze HC @ Lambuth, Jason Simpson HC @ UT-Martin, Tony Ball AC @ Georgia, Randy Sanders AC @ Kentucky, Russ Huesman DC @ Richmond. "Confirmed" through various newspapers. Hart will not officially comment, and it appears through various reports/comments Hart is waiting on the D2 playoffs for at least one of his interviews.

catamount man
December 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Some "confirmed" applicants for the UTC job: Hugh Freeze HC @ Lambuth, Jason Simpson HC @ UT-Martin, Tony Ball AC @ Georgia, Randy Sanders AC @ Kentucky, Russ Huesman DC @ Richmond. "Confirmed" through various newspapers. Hart will not officially comment, and it appears through various reports/comments Hart is waiting on the D2 playoffs for at least one of his interviews.

If you guys get Hudspeth from North Alabama, then there will be no excuses as to why you couldn't win. That guy is awesome!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
looks like asu's coach will be safe for another year :) ;) :)

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Jerry Moore has announced his retirement following the season. He wants to focus on his true calling, dentistry. There is quite the market for his second profession in the Boone area, I hear.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/2078248562_1d7db751a2.jpg

B&G
December 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Jerry Moore has announced his retirement following the season. He wants to focus on his true calling, denistry. There is quite the market for his second profession in the Boone area, I hear.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/2078248562_1d7db751a2.jpg

I'm sure they'd love to know what denistry is.

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm sure they'd love to know what denistry is.

Nothing like shooting yourself in the footxoopsx .

HoyaMetanoia
December 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hudspeth may be a candidate for the soon to be open WR Coach job at Auburn.

And it's starting to look like not only will Kevin Kelly stick at Georgetown, but not one assistant will be let go.

utcfan
December 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
As for Hudspeth and Auburn----Is Tuberville back for sure? It would surprise me more that he would be a WR coach at Auburn, than HFC at UTC. Win in two or three years at UTC and FBS schools will come offering HC jobs. Two or Three years as WR coach, and you will still be a WR coach. Now if Auburn is offering the Offensive Coordinator job it might be a different story.

GATA
December 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hudspeth would be a great pick up for UTC. You could always try to get Sly Croom...

utcfan
December 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Croom and his can't score boring ass offense?xlolx

I agree about Hudspeth, I guess we will have to wait until and see.

wapiti
December 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Scroll down to Washington. Hauck's name is listed.
and Cal Poly coach Rich Ellerson is listed for San Diego State

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=870494

HoyaMetanoia
December 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
As for Hudspeth and Auburn----Is Tuberville back for sure? It would surprise me more that he would be a WR coach at Auburn, than HFC at UTC. Win in two or three years at UTC and FBS schools will come offering HC jobs. Two or Three years as WR coach, and you will still be a WR coach. Now if Auburn is offering the Offensive Coordinator job it might be a different story.

Tuberville's job safety has changed drastically in the last couple of days as it now appears he's going to be having multiple meetings with the AD and President.

Hudspeth would become an OC just as soon being the WR coach at Auburn as he would being the head coach at a middling FBS school.

BJuice
December 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
No changes coming at Chuck South that I have heard about yet.

Hopefully there won't be any changes coming at Charleston Southern. I like this group of coaches. It seems like there is a good mix. I don't how it is during the week, in the offices, on the practice field, or in the locker room, but it translates to a good chemistry on the field during games.

I watched Coach Smith (Defense) and Coach Kelly (Offense) coach very hard on the sidelines this year and was very impressed at their intensity and approach to in-game situations.

I hope this group can stay together for at least a few years. I think it could translate into a very successful stretch.

utcfan
December 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hudspeth would become an OC just as soon being the WR coach at Auburn as he would being the head coach at a middling FBS school.

I meant he could more quickly make the jump to being a head coach at CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC/etc.. team if he went to UTC and was successfull, as opposed to being just a WR coach at Auburn. If Auburn offered him the OC job that would be a plum he should jump on. WR coach at Auburn would pay him better than UNA, but only about the same as HC at UTC.

At any rate, time will tell.

utcfan
December 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
UT-Chattanooga: We hear that Lambuth University (NAIA) head coach Hugh Freeze will interview today (12/2)at UT-Chattanooga.

UT-Chattanooga: Sources tell us that UT-Martin head coach Jason Simpson will interview tomorrow (12/3) at UT-Chattanooga

from footballscoop.com

apppackdad
December 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Expect Samford coach Pat Sullivan to be very much on the Auburn radar if ol' Tuberville is let go.

HoyaMetanoia
December 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Expect Samford coach Pat Sullivan to be very much on the Auburn radar if ol' Tuberville is let go.

Sullivan will be nowhere on the radar if Tuberville is let go. Not even close.

And Hudspeth will certainly not get the OC job, but I still maintain that the job progression will only be quicker at UTC than as a WR coach at Auburn if he turns that program into a legitimate, year in, year out play off team within two or three years.

Look at what Clawson did at Richmond, and that still only got him an OC job.

scbc
December 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Is the DL job at the citadel really open?

utcfan
December 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
OC job at a BCS school, not just any FBS program.

Had he waited a year (and it still might happen) he would be a front runner for Head coaching jobs at Miami-Ohio, Bowling Green, etc...FBS programs, he still might land somewhere like that. Coaches from both programs in the past have moved up the FBS/BCS ladder.

utcfan
December 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
By the way, Birmingham News is reporting that Tubberville is gone at Auburn.

An official announcement could come today. It was unclear whether Tuberville was fired or resigned.

Tommy TubervilleTuberville was 85-40 in 10 years at Auburn, and is 110-60 in 14 years as a college head coach. His final season at Auburn ended with a 36-0 loss to Alabama last Saturday to finish off a disappointing 5-7 record.

Tuberville met with Athletics Director Jay Jacobs on Tuesday and again today. He met with university President Jay Gogue on Monday.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/tommy_tuberville_is_out_as_aub.html

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
And it's starting to look like not only will Kevin Kelly stick at Georgetown, but not one assistant will be let go.

The entire staff returned from the 1-10 season as well.

HoyaMetanoia
December 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM

Yes, and it's a tried and true method. I mean, look at the results. We doubled the wins and had our first non-loss to Colgate in a while.

santosballnewhampshire
December 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Will Sean McDonnell (UNH), ever get mentioned for any of these jobs?

HoyaMetanoia
December 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Also, has to be said, I think Kelly running off Mychal Harrison might be worse than him not running off any of his assistants (although he is the problem, not the assistants).

FCSbacker
December 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Any new news from anyone regarding changes or rumored changes on various coaching staffs?

HoyaMetanoia
December 5th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Also, has to be said, I think Kelly running off Mychal Harrison might be worse than him not running off any of his assistants (although he is the problem, not the assistants).

utcfan
December 7th, 2008, 08:24 AM
University of Kentucky quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator Randy Sanders said he has talked with University of Tennessee at Chattanooga athletic director Rick Hart about the Mocs’ vacant football coaching position.

Sanders, a Morristown, Tenn., native who spent 22 seasons at the University of Tennessee as a player then a coach, including seven as the Vols’ offensive coordinator, said Saturday morning that he and Hart had talked in the past few days, though he wouldn’t disclose the circumstances of the conversation.

From Chattanooga Times Free Press

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/dec/07/uks-sanders-talks-hart/

catamount man
December 7th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Sanders is DYING to be a SoCon head coach. WCU interviewed him last year. I still think UTC should go after Hudspeth at UNA.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM

The Hoyas need more skill players, not less. Kelly's offense is built almost exclusively on the run, and returns no experienced WR's next year.

Georgetown RB's scored one rushing touchdown in 2008.

utcfan
December 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I guess we will find out next week if Hudspeth is interested or not. UNA lost to NW MO State Saturday 41-7 (sounds like 9 or 10 of UTC's regular season games this year). I have been told by people who are close to the program Hudspeth and UTC both have interest and were waiting for the season to end to meet. Looks like we have had discussions with 3 (Freeze-Lambuth, Simpson-UTMartin, Sanders-KY) and it appears that Huesman-Richmond/DC, and Ball--Georgia/AC will also have disussions with UTC about the position. Some feel that the announcement might come the week of the FCS National Championship game.

JackTwice
December 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
South Dakota State has parted ways with their defensive line coach and there is talk of another assistant that has yet to be named leaving.

utcfan
December 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I suspect UTC will have 10 AC's looking for jobs, as well as Allison.

FCSbacker
December 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I heard that WCU has Defensive Line opening. This may have been posted before?

utcfan
December 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yale: Sources tell us that former Tennessee offensive coordinator Dave Clawson has interviewed for the head coaching position at Yale. We also hear that Yale would like to interview Florida assistant Steve Addazio.

Illinois State: Georgia State offensive coordinator John Bond and Georgia Tech assistant Jeff Monken are interviewing this week, but we hear Central Arkansas head coach Clint Conque is at the top of the Illinois State list.

above from footballscoop.com

UTC search--a lot of the UTC former football players are supporting Russ Huesman for the HFC job we have open.

catamount man
December 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I heard that WCU has Defensive Line opening. This may have been posted before?

Per the website, John Scott is still on staff, but a former player told me that he is indeed gone. Our SID staff is extremely busy with hoops and short staffed so this may not be "official" until after the Holidays. Who knows?

If so, I hate that for John as he played at WCU and came in to help Briggs in 2006 and then Briggs last 2 seasons just fell apart. John will land on his feet. He is a good young position coach with a lot to offer and before WCU, coached at Norfolk State and was a GA at Louisiana-Lafayette. Wagner, I assume, will go after a midwest or west coast guy to bring in. Those are his primary contact areas.

I would like Steve Grimit from St.Cloud State to get the job. He and Matt Pawlowski, our current DC, coached their together.

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletics/sports/football/coach.asp

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FCSbacker
December 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
As far as I know we're set. Man, it felt good to type that!

I heard that Hatcher was a hot name in some of the FBS jobs. Couldn't remeber if they were head jobs or OC jobs

colorless raider
December 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Yes, and it's a tried and true method. I mean, look at the results. We doubled the wins and had our first non-loss to Colgate in a while.

I think that's great!:D

Libertine
December 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Rivals is reporting that Illinois State has hired Purdue's defensive coordinator, Brock Spack.

mcveyrl
December 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I guess this is the best place to put this...

It's an article about JMU assistants getting interviewed. The only school specific speculation is that our OC Durden is interested in the Towson job.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=34072&CHID=3&sub=

Jiggs
December 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hudspeth is gome to Mississippi State as OC. Rumor mill says Bobby Wallace back to UNA.

http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=9535389&nav=menu108_5

FCSbacker
December 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hudspeth is gome to Mississippi State as OC. Rumor mill says Bobby Wallace back to UNA.

http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=9535389&nav=menu108_5

Do you think that Coach London at Richmond is going to be there a while?