PDA

View Full Version : You are welcome Maine

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
You guys are welcome. We beat elon so you guys could sneak in. I don't get it. But i don't blame you guys. I blame the Committee.

appmountaineer
November 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm feeling for Liberty. I really thought the committee would let liberty in...but no, they went with a 5th CAA team again...

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm feeling for Liberty. I really thought the committee would let liberty in...but no, they went with a 5th CAA team again...

I'm right there with you APP. I don't ever wanna see what i saw on the faces of all our seniors. I hope to see app and JMU do well.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Down with Maine! This is not right! Our players put it all on the line yesterday, only for the committee to smack them like this.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Liberty's schedule killed them. It just wasn't very good at all. They would have been better served IMO to play 1 D2 game and an 11 game schedule rather than 2 D2's and 12 games. Those two D2's stick out like sore thumb in the beginning of the year.

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
well after listening to the Commissioner's interview...I'm convinced Liberty was never on the board. He couldn't even answer a question posed about the new rules for 2010.

When he was asked why Liberty was left out when they would have gotten an AQ in 2010 he said that Liberty didn't meet the criteria...and the interviewer said yes they did....and he was like oh...well I'd have to look it over and couldn't even recall Libertys record.

BestOfBreed
November 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Sadly, those D2's are still better than Iona.

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
well after listening to the Commissioner's interview...I'm convinced Liberty was never on the board. He couldn't even answer a question posed about the new rules for 2010.

When he was asked why Liberty was left out when they would have gotten an AQ in 2010 he said that Liberty didn't meet the criteria...and the interviewer said yes they did....and he was like oh...well I'd have to look it over and couldn't even recall Libertys record.

I'm really glad i didn't watch that. is there a link to the comments made? and did he explain why W&M didn't get in either?

Big Dawg
November 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Liberty's schedule killed them. It just wasn't very good at all. They would have been better served IMO to play 1 D2 game and an 11 game schedule rather than 2 D2's and 12 games. Those two D2's stick out like sore thumb in the beginning of the year.

Wait, they played 2 Div. II schools??? Yeah that does stick out. I think we probably would've gotten into the playoffs before Liberty would've gotten the nod(No smack intended)...and we gave up on the playoffs, sorta, after we lost homecoming.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM

When he was asked why Liberty was left out when they would have gotten an AQ in 2010 he said that Liberty didn't meet the criteria...and the interviewer said yes they did....and he was like oh...well I'd have to look it over and couldn't even recall Libertys record.The interviewer was wrong. Liberty did not meet the criteria. This has been talked about ever since CSN broke the story earlier this year.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-how-many-teams&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
It was originally reported that all a team needed to do was to achieve eight Division I wins, two wins over schools in autobid conferences (or an FBS win), and an average ranking of at least #16 in the GPI, Sports Network and Coaches polls. The average rankings begin after the 10/25 games.

However, there is a key caveat to this criteria. Not only does the team need to meet these criteria, they need to be the champion of a conference that currently qualifies for an autobid but isn’t currently an autobid conference. They also need to ask for an AQ. Only if they meet those parameters they will receive an at-large bid to the playoffs in 2008.

Based on this criteria by the NCAA, only one conference could achieve an autobid: the winner of the Northeast conference, or NEC.In 2010 they would get the Big South AQ. This year is like any other, they have to be an at-large. Who was the interviewer?

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
We were not looking for and AQ we were looking for an AT-Large!

SuperJon
November 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Down with Maine! This is not right! Our players put it all on the line yesterday, only for the committee to smack them like this.

Can we chill out with crap like this? I mean, really, c'mon now. We're better than that. They got in. We didn't. It's not Maine's fault they got in over us.

blur2005
November 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM
The irony here is how your username and this comment relate to one another. Maine plays in the strongest conference at this level and got rewarded for it. I, for one, was surprised because I thought the committee would take Liberty over Maine or W&M but I guess it looked at the GPI and saw how Liberty was at 20 and that Maine and W&M were ahead of the Flames. I'm still not sure why W&M wasn't picked over Maine except that Maine had an extra game, a win over Iona, which might as well count as a DII win, particularly now that Iona is ending its football program.

joecooll6
November 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM

If that is true, that is fricken rediculous. Ive been on Liberty's case pretty hardcore, but they certainly deserved to be seriously considered. If there wasn't at the very least a long heated conversation about Liberty by the committee, that is fricken rediculous.

Jackman
November 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Alright, enough with this. The difference between Liberty and the 8 at-large tournament teams plus W&M is that those teams didn't lose a single game to anyone except to other playoff teams or to FBS teams. The only exception is UNH, which lost to W&M.

It's not even about Presbyterian. Liberty's loss to Lafayette was worse than any loss the at-large playoff teams had. The win over Elon was great, and they should be proud of it, but they were already at least 2 games behind at kickoff.

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
If that is true, that is fricken rediculous. Ive been on Liberty's case pretty hardcore, but they certainly deserved to be seriously considered. If there wasn't at the very least a long heated conversation about Liberty by the committee, that is fricken rediculous.

I don't know if they were never considered or if there wasn't a long, heated debate about Liberty, but the previous poster's account of the interview was true to my memory. The commissioner said the two DII game hurt them... and then couldn't recall their record or if they met the automatic qualifier criteria. xnonono2x

Cocky
November 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Remember the chairman is from the CAA.

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Liberty can blame no one but themselves.

If you come from a weak conference (in relative terms the Big South is weak) and you play two DII games, you better not lose any games that shouldn't be lost.

Liberty's loss to Presby kept them out. Plain and simple, IMO. Liberty would have gotten in had they lost to Lafayette only, but they didn't. Its not biased, its not because the CAA commish is the committee chair, it's because Liberty lost to Presby.

Now, W&M has a beef, but thats between them and the committee.

Liberty doesn't even qualify as being Woffed IMO.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Alright, enough with this. The difference between Liberty and the 8 at-large tournament teams plus W&M is that those teams didn't lose a single game to anyone except to other playoff teams or to FBS teams. The only exception is UNH, which lost to W&M.

It's not even about Presbyterian. Liberty's loss to Lafayette was worse than any loss the at-large playoff teams had. The win over Elon was great, and they should be proud of it, but they were already at least 2 games behind at kickoff.

This isn't about Liberty in my opinion. It could have be Elon, W&M or Crack Community College for all I care. The interview question was about the last spot in the field of 16. He couldn't recall team records and wasn't quite sure what the rules were. If I was deciding on a final team, a game that could be the last game of many young men's life, I would take the time to know a little about the teams in consideration and also the rules for selecting them..xnonono2x

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Can we chill out with crap like this? I mean, really, c'mon now. We're better than that. They got in. We didn't. It's not Maine's fault they got in over us.

It may not be maine's fault but the committee sure needs to be looked at...

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
This isn't about Liberty in my opinion. It could have be Elon, W&M or Crack Community College for all I care. The interview question was about the last spot in the field of 16. He couldn't recall team records and wasn't quite sure what the rules were. If I was deciding on a final team, a game that could be the last game of many young men's life, I would take the time to know a little about the teams in consideration and also the rules for selecting them..xnonono2x

Exactly!

I am really glad I didn't hear that crap. We shot ourselves in the foot a couple times, sure, but to just be some joke that doesn't even get brought up? Makes me believe that LU and W and M's resumes wound up in the recycle bin when they threw out JMU's and App's since they already knew they were the top 2 seeds.

Tim James
November 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM

I agree. This isnt a Liberty vs Maine thing because Liberty were way down their list. Florida A&M were probably ahead of them on the committe's list as well.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Remember the chairman is from the CAA.

This is such a bogus argument every time somebody brings it up. Is the chairman the supreme ruler of the committee?? Does his vote count more than any other?

Having said that, I'm pretty shocked to see 5 CAA teams this year. I'm doubly shocked that it was Maine. I would've put W&M in over the Black Bears, but I guess there's an argument there.

I personally would've liked to have seen Liberty get a shot at the playoffs. I thought they deserved it with their win over Elon.

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Well, what other reason is there to put Maine in over LU and WM? They played JMU a little closer, while still losing? Being 2nd in the CAA North? They beat UMass?

Cocky
November 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
The chairman presides over the meeting and if they use Robert's rules he is close to a supreme ruler if knows how to use the rules to his favor.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The chairman presides over the meeting and if they use Robert's rules he is close to a supreme ruler if knows how to use the rules to his favor.

Is he the only one that can mention teams??

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
The selection show said they spent 3 hours deciding between Liberty/W&M/Maine/Jax St/Elon.

Jackman
November 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I heard the interview, and what McCutch couldn't remember of the top of his head was all of the special "bridge" qualifying criteria for conferences that didn't get AQs. Which makes sense, because only the NEC was eligible for that this year, not the Big South, and every NEC member had been eliminated from meeting the criteria in the first 5 weeks. There was no reason to discuss it at the meeting.

The AD of Coastal Carolina, a Big South member like Liberty, is one of the 8 members of the Selection Committee. People buying into a conspiracy theory that Liberty was never discussed are out of their minds. Unlike every other non-AQ conference, Liberty's conference has just as much voting power as every single AQ conference, and more voting power than the SoCon. Liberty was over-represented, not under-represented.

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I heard the interview, and what McCutch couldn't remember of the top of his head was all of the special "bridge" qualifying criteria for conferences that didn't get AQs. Which makes sense, because only the NEC was eligible for that this year, not the Big South, and every NEC member had been eliminated from meeting the criteria in the first 5 weeks. There was no reason to discuss it at the meeting.

The AD of Coastal Carolina, a Big South member like Liberty, is one of the 8 members of the Selection Committee. People buying into a conspiracy theory that Liberty was never discussed are out of their minds. Unlike every other non-AQ conference, Liberty's conference has just as much voting power as every single AQ conference, and more voting power than the SoCon. Liberty was over-represented, not under-represented.

I don't know about over-represented. They were represnted adequately. This is the first year the NEC and Big South have had representation on the selection committee. In the past, only the 8 AQ conferences had representation, but the rules were changed this year to include the NEC and the Big South.

knucklehead
November 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Exactly!

I am really glad I didn't hear that crap. We shot ourselves in the foot a couple times, sure, but to just be some joke that doesn't even get brought up? Makes me believe that LU and W and M's resumes wound up in the recycle bin when they threw out JMU's and App's since they already knew they were the top 2 seeds.

Well said. It is obvious now that the committee never even considered LU properly. This is a joke. We deserved a look for the work these young men did. This leads to my earlier comments about the committee being anti Big South and heavily CAA slanted. They are a sham! xnonono2x

Jackman
November 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I don't believe the NEC is on it. My understanding is it's the ADs of:

UMass (CAA)
Montana (Big Sky)
Western Illinois (MVC)
Nicholls St. (Southland)
SE Missouri St. (OVC)
Morgan St. (MEAC)
Lafayette (Patriot)
Coastal Carolina (Big South)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Maybe they snubbed us becasue of our status as an evagelical school.

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM

UMass (CAA)
Montana (Big Sky)
Western Illinois (MVC)
Nicholls St. (Southland)
SE Missouri St. (OVC)
Morgan St. (MEAC)
Lafayette (Patriot)

they are:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf

Central

Mark Sandy - Dir. of Athletics
Eastern Kentucky University

Tim Van Alstine - Dir. of Athletics
Western Illinois University

East
Charles Jones - Dir. of Athletics
Central Connecticut State University

Bruce McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics
Lafayette College

John McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics
Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst

South
Charles Cobb - Dir. of Athletics
Appalachian State Univeristy

Floyd Kerr - Dir. of Athletics
Morgan State University

Warren Koegel - Dir. of Athletics
Coastal Carolina University

West
Richard Bernardi - Dir. of Athletics
Nicholls State University

Jim O’Day - Dir. of Athletics
University of Montana

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM

xnonox

LUfilmguy
November 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM

would you please stop with the stupid comments. seriously. I bet half the committee doesn't even know we are an evangelical school. thats not what kept us out so stop suggesting it.

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM

I thought liberty deserved it too. The committee should really watch as much FCS football as we do.

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
if it wasnt maine, liberty would have been beaten out by W&M, and everyone would be talking about how the CAA south got the bid because the commitee is bias, i want to know exactly what liberty did to make their fans think the were an outright pick over maine. to me it is very murcky, all of the resumes a fairly equal imo

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
am i the only one that feels the comittee made a reasonable choice? is maine really that bad, unexpected yes, but i would pick them over W&M and Liberty. Maybe not on paper, but i believe maine plays a better game.

and i go UNH...

Jackman
November 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
they are:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf

Central

Mark Sandy - Dir. of Athletics
Eastern Kentucky University

Tim Van Alstine - Dir. of Athletics
Western Illinois University

East
Charles Jones - Dir. of Athletics
Central Connecticut State University

Bruce McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics
Lafayette College

John McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics
Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst

South
Charles Cobb - Dir. of Athletics
Appalachian State Univeristy

Floyd Kerr - Dir. of Athletics
Morgan State University

Warren Koegel - Dir. of Athletics
Coastal Carolina University

West
Richard Bernardi - Dir. of Athletics
Nicholls State University

Jim O’Day - Dir. of Athletics
University of Montana

Thanks for the correction. Looks like the article I was relying on did some selective trimming of the list so that each of the 4 regions had only 2 names. I should have known something was wrong when the App St. AD wasn't on it, because I remember now that he voted on the moving the championship game date issue.

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

IaaScribe
November 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM

With the amount of money they make on football, it doesn't make financial sense to scrap a home game for the sake of making the schedule look at little better to the committee.

The two DIIs didn't do Liberty in. The Presbyterian loss did Liberty in.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well said. It is obvious now that the committee never even considered LU properly. This is a joke. We deserved a look for the work these young men did. This leads to my earlier comments about the committee being anti Big South and heavily CAA slanted. They are a sham! xnonono2x

UMass (CAA)
Montana (Big Sky)
Western Illinois (MVC)
Nicholls St. (Southland)
SE Missouri St. (OVC)
Morgan St. (MEAC)
Lafayette (Patriot)

Please knuclehead...show me where the "anti-Big South and heavy CAA" slant is in this membership????

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
LUfilmguy, i was only trying to be funny. Dont take it like I meant it. Cause i didnt. Our boys derserved it no doubt but the committee obvisuly doesnt like Liberty.

g-webb1994
November 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Liberty got screwed plain and simple.

If the committee let Maine in based on Liberty beating Elon, the how in the hell did Maine get seeded higher than both SC State and Wofford?

A Liberty/JMU matchup in the first round would have been fun and pretty competitive IMO.

Liberty beats Maine and Texas State both straight up IMO, home or away.

At least the Big South will have that automatic bid soon.

SuperJon
November 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I know it's a set thing, but when comparing Maine and Liberty, one thing popped out. Everyone wants to claim that Liberty had two Division II schools. Even with those two schools, each one had more scholarships than Iona and I think Monmouth too, but those two schools were classified as Division I so they counted and ours didn't.

Now, please don't take it as me whining and saying it isn't fair, because that's not what I'm doing. That just really stuck out in my head and has taken a while to get my head around it.

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The running back for Glenville State would be the best player in Iona football history.

downbythebeach
November 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Sour grapes for 2theleft and the Liberty fansxlolx

Jackman
November 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Liberty got screwed plain and simple.

If the committee let Maine in based on Liberty beating Elon, the how in the hell did Maine get seeded higher than both SC State and Wofford?
Only the top 4 teams get seeded. The remaining 4 home teams are determined mainly by who bid the most money for a home game. Teams with higher attendance and higher ticket revenue logically tend to bid higher amounts. Finally, the 8 away teams are assigned by best geographic fit with the home teams, without pitting two teams from the same conference against each other in the first round. I believe money from the bidding process is used to offset travel costs for the away teams.

Liberty if granted an at large bid would almost certainly have traveled to JMU. Maine did not because it is in the same conference as JMU and is nowhere near JMU. That's how it works.

luflame15
November 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I think allot of people knew liberty wasnt in the field when JMU was matched with Wofford. I do know Liberty did place a bid for hosting playoffs.

Dane96
November 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
You guys are welcome. We beat elon so you guys could sneak in. I don't get it. But i don't blame you guys. I blame the Committee.

Schedule is not even comparable. I presume Liberty was a distant team compared to Maine and W&M.

Dane96
November 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I know it's a set thing, but when comparing Maine and Liberty, one thing popped out. Everyone wants to claim that Liberty had two Division II schools. Even with those two schools, each one had more scholarships than Iona and I think Monmouth too, but those two schools were classified as Division I so they counted and ours didn't.

Now, please don't take it as me whining and saying it isn't fair, because that's not what I'm doing. That just really stuck out in my head and has taken a while to get my head around it.

Monmouth would likely end up with a similar record as Liberty with that schedule.

Dane96
November 25th, 2008, 12:21 AM
The running back for Glenville State would be the best player in Iona football history.

The most ridiculous comment yet.

ToTheLeft
November 25th, 2008, 12:22 AM
The most ridiculous comment yet.

Do a little homework and find out who I'm talking about before you run your mouth.

Kid was a starter at Central Michigan before getting arrested and transferring down to GS. Kid is just sick nasty, best DII running back out there, clearly better than anything Iona has.

Dane96
November 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM
You have 316 posts...and you are telling me to do homework. Buddy...your comment was ridiculous...and you didnt say HAS...you said HAD...as in PREVIOUS YEARS COMBINED.

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT IONA FOOTBALL HISTORY THAT YOU CAN MAKE THAT STATEMENT?

A lot of DI transfers play DII...heck...Rowan College (Glassboro State) had their whole DIII team filled with DI players over the years...and good ones. Doesnt make them better than FCS players.

ToTheLeft
November 25th, 2008, 12:45 AM
You have 316 posts...and you are telling me to do homework. Buddy...your comment was ridiculous...and you didnt say HAS...you said HAD...as in PREVIOUS YEARS COMBINED.

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT IONA FOOTBALL HISTORY THAT YOU CAN MAKE THAT STATEMENT?

A lot of DI transfers play DII...heck...Rowan College (Glassboro State) had their whole DIII team filled with DI players over the years...and good ones. Doesnt make them better than FCS players.

So you go from finding every Liberty post you can and sniping at it, to a post count reference as if it makes me less of a poster here?

The ever comment was a bit of, how do you say, exaggeration maybe? I know nothing about Iona's history and frankly I don't care to know. What I do know is that Jerry Seymour is an athlete the likes of which Iona College did not and would not have had in their current state. It was just a joke, but it also proved a point. Glenville was a bigger challenge than Iona would have been or than NC Central would have been. But a team that isn't DI is magically a black mark on the record of the team... Makes me wish we could have played your buddies at St. Francis and dropped 70 on them again, just so we could get a DI win.

charliej
November 25th, 2008, 06:02 AM

When Keeler was there :p