PDA

View Full Version : Possible Future Games Vs Grambling!!!

mikebigg
November 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
There has been many discussions and debates on the possible matchups of D1AA opponents against Grambling. Grambling is bound by the SWAC's 9 game mandate...consequently, we only have two available dates on our current schedule. If we are unable to shift some of our existing games around, would your team be willing to do a 4 year home and home on either the 3rd playing date of Sept or the 2nd playing date in November? If not for 4 years, what about a 1 year neutral site for the September date? This applies to MEAC and TnState as well. Serious responses only please!

Hansel
November 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Due to having a 5 team conference, NDSU normally has a fair amount of open dates to fill, and has played 2 Louisiana teams home/home over the last two years so we are willing to go down travel.

You can view future schedules here

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=695&SPSID=11844

keep in mind the conference dates are not set in stone, so a November game may work. Plus, Grambling may want payback for the 20-7 win we had over them in 1965 Pecan Bowl, which give us our first College Division National Title in both polls :)

November 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
This thread is about scheduling Grambling! Didn't mikebigg say "Serious responses only please!"? :nod:

Baldy
November 14th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Rumor is (not really a rumor...a pretty well known fact) that GSU (through a promoter) is trying to get a "classic" together with Gram or Southern U in the GA Dome for sometime in September 2006.

Can any Jag or Tiger fans shed some light on the situation?

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 14th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Rumor is (not really a rumor...a pretty well known fact) that GSU (through a promoter) is trying to get a "classic" together with Gram or Southern U in the GA Dome for sometime in September 2006.

Can any Jag or Tiger fans shed some light on the situation?
SU is suppose to be playing in California in Sept. 06, at least thats what I heard, and adding Tenn. St. to the schedule. The next season we are suppose to add Famu back on the schedule.

mikebigg
November 14th, 2005, 05:29 PM
This thread is about scheduling Grambling! Didn't mikebigg say "Serious responses only please!"? :nod:

Thanks Ralph!

I actually think a 3 year deal would be the best approach. Home and Home the first two years to get the fans excited and finish it up with a neutral site game that will hopefully be the tie-breaker. Imagine the revenue and marketing potential of such an arrangement between the right teams. I say make it the season opener so that the teams can move on to a similar arrangement with other 1AA's.

Since GaSU responded first, I would like a 3 year matchup with the finale being in the Georgia Dome. That would be interesting!

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM
SHSU has played November OOC games the last two years against NoCo (2004, 2005). Did the same against Northern Arizona in 2003.

89Hen
November 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
:cool: :cool: :cool:

arranger101
November 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I guess to help our SOS, and if Grambling stays a I-AA ranked team, then Buddy Pough should have no problem with scheduling them for one of those dates. But I am sure that along with Coastal Carolina, he would first schedule Wofford or Furman.

SAME OLD G
November 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Grambling is in discussion with Pitt to play a game there in 2006. So if that happens, we will only have one more open date. And if this MEAC/SWAC challenge is suppose a match up between the two previous champions of each conference, that means our other OOC opponent is against Hampton.

TexasTerror
November 15th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Hampton vs Grambling would tell us a lot...especially pending the outcome of Hampton in the playoffs...

McNeeserocket
November 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM
SU is suppose to be playing in California in Sept. 06, at least thats what I heard, and adding Tenn. St. to the schedule. The next season we are suppose to add Famu back on the schedule.

Any idea if Southern might make the game up in Lake Charles with McNeese? We McNeesee fans were really looking forward to the game here in Lake Charles before the two Hurricanes of 2005 screwed everything up. Maybe we can arrange it for 2007. We need to finish off the series and hopefully have another series after that. Louisiana schools should be playing Louisiana schools, especially now that our state is suffering so much.

gram4life
November 15th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Any idea if Southern might make the game up in Lake Charles with McNeese? We McNeesee fans were really looking forward to the game here in Lake Charles before the two Hurricanes of 2005 screwed everything up. Maybe we can arrange it for 2007. We need to finish off the series and hopefully have another series after that. Louisiana schools should be playing Louisiana schools, especially now that our state is suffering so much.

I agree I would love to see future matchups with I-AA Louisiana schools.

McNeeserocket
November 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
There has been many discussions and debates on the possible matchups of D1AA opponents against Grambling. Grambling is bound by the SWAC's 9 game mandate...consequently, we only have two available dates on our current schedule. If we are unable to shift some of our existing games around, would your team be willing to do a 4 year home and home on either the 3rd playing date of Sept or the 2nd playing date in November? If not for 4 years, what about a 1 year neutral site for the September date? This applies to MEAC and TnState as well. Serious responses only please!

I think McNeese would go for a four year series. We really enjoyed the two game series in 2002 and 2003. Met some great fans at both games. I really enjoyed the whole game day experience at Grambling and thought your stadium was beautiful. We need to do it again. Louisiana schools should really be taking advantage of all the great I-AA programs in state. Lets keep our boys and money in state by playing as many Louisiana teams as possible. We have great talent here in Louisiana and it is wonderful for our boys to play against each other. What do you think?

SAME OLD G
November 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hampton vs Grambling would tell us a lot...especially pending the outcome of Hampton in the playoffs...

What would it tell you other than who won?

TexasTerror
November 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM
What would it tell you other than who won?

Would give us an indication where Grambling stands against a recognized I-AA power (or atleast they were this year, as undefeated is impressive) since Grambling has not played any major I-AA foes despite being a top 20 team...

ucdtim17
November 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
There was an article in the Sacramento Bee a month or so back about Grambling wanting to play another game in northern california against UCD or Sac. Nothing confirmed, but hopefully they'll work something out

McTailGator
November 15th, 2005, 09:17 PM

I see the ole Southern Commitment is showing its ugly head again as you guys appear to be running from McNeese again...

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I see the ole Southern Commitment is showing its ugly head again as you guys appear to be running from McNeese again...We not running from McNeese.
The hurricane was not SU's fault. I wouldn't expect McNeese to play SU over a traditional rival. We have been playing Tenn. St. and Famu for over 50 years and somehow both series were cancelled. Now it seems the administrations for the schools have worked things out and are about to resume the series. As for the game in California , college football @ some HBCU's(SU,Famu,Tenn.St,Gram,J-State) is big buisness.

November 15th, 2005, 11:29 PM
This thread is about scheduling Grambling!

Please put your other stuff in another thread.

mikebigg
November 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM
How about renewing our rivalry in the Whitney Young Classic? We can play Morgan home and home. It would really make a more intriguing EVENT (not just a game) for us to play y'all again in the Meadowlands.

Oh man, that would be great! The fan interest would be there and if partnered with the Urban League (as in the past), it could have a huge social impact to a worthy organization that helps inner city kids. I think the Corporate support would line up behind this one. Now that both teams are competitive, it would be an awesome thing. I'd love to see it happen...

mikebigg
November 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I guess to help our SOS, and if Grambling stays a I-AA ranked team, then Buddy Pough should have no problem with scheduling them for one of those dates. But I am sure that along with Coastal Carolina, he would first schedule Wofford or Furman.

I was somewhat disappointed that Coach Jeffries didn't stick around long enuff to make a game against you guys happen. We had some good games against yall in the late 70's thru early 80's. Not necessarily interested in a long term deal but an occassional matchup early in the season would be great... Like I said, home and home then a neutral site (Atlanta)

mikebigg
November 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I think McNeese would go for a four year series. We really enjoyed the two game series in 2002 and 2003. Met some great fans at both games. I really enjoyed the whole game day experience at Grambling and thought your stadium was beautiful. We need to do it again. Louisiana schools should really be taking advantage of all the great I-AA programs in state. Lets keep our boys and money in state by playing as many Louisiana teams as possible. We have great talent here in Louisiana and it is wonderful for our boys to play against each other. What do you think?

I would like to do a home and home with 1AA's from the State. Here's an approach that I think would work for the SWAC and the SLC involving the Louisiana schools (and two Mississippi Schools) from the SWAC.

On the third week of the season (schedules permitting) have home and home games with these type matchups: McNeese vs Southern; Northwestern vs Grambling; Southeastern vs Jackson State; Nichols vs Alcorn. After the two years, switch the teams and let's do it until all the schools have played home and home against the other conference. Talk about building rivalries and interest. The teams would make $$$$$ and save on travel expenses!!!!

mikebigg
November 16th, 2005, 08:09 AM
There was an article in the Sacramento Bee a month or so back about Grambling wanting to play another game in northern california against UCD or Sac. Nothing confirmed, but hopefully they'll work something out

That would make sense... Spears wants to expand our recruiting to how it was with Coach Robinson. We don't have the budget to recruit California on a regular basis, but playing out WEST on occassion will give us some exposure to the heavy JUCO talent of California. Although we don't recruit jucos, there is always exceptional talent out there that makes any coach consider bringing in a good player. Especially if he's a defensive lineman...easier to work players into your system when he's a down lineman.

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM
We not running from McNeese.
The hurricane was not SU's fault. I wouldn't expect McNeese to play SU over a traditional rival. We have been playing Tenn. St. and Famu for over 50 years and somehow both series were cancelled. Now it seems the administrations for the schools have worked things out and are about to resume the series. As for the game in California , college football @ some HBCU's(SU,Famu,Tenn.St,Gram,J-State) is big buisness.

Hell yes SU is running...

We offered them a December 3rd date this year in LC....They said no...

We have also offered them the 1st 2 weeks in 06 in LC, They said NO, and then scheduled those other 2 OOC schools.

I WOULD EXPECT SOUTHERN TO HONOR IT CONTRACT WITH MCNEESE BEFORE SCHEDULING ANOTHER SCHOOL IN LIEU OF COMING TO LAKE CHARLES FOR THE RETURN GAME IN THE SERIES.

First Southern broke there word, now they will break a contract.

I expected nothing less.

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM
I would like to do a home and home with 1AA's from the State. Here's an approach that I think would work for the SWAC and the SLC involving the Louisiana schools (and two Mississippi Schools) from the SWAC.

On the third week of the season (schedules permitting) have home and home games with these type matchups: McNeese vs Southern; Northwestern vs Grambling; Southeastern vs Jackson State; Nichols vs Alcorn. After the two years, switch the teams and let's do it until all the schools have played home and home against the other conference. Talk about building rivalries and interest. The teams would make $$$$$ and save on travel expenses!!!!

Mike that sounds great and a McNeese vs GSU series would be a good thing for each school and the state.

But becarefull about throwing Southern into the mix, they have PROVEN they can not honor a contract and their word surely is nothing to hang your hat on.

Grambling and McNeese are two ULS schools that should make a habit of playing each other. I'd say 4 out of every 10 years would keep us both interested.

mikebigg
November 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM

We have also offered them the 1st 2 weeks in 06 in LC, They said NO, and then scheduled those other 2 OOC schools.

I WOULD EXPECT SOUTHERN TO HONOR IT CONTRACT WITH MCNEESE BEFORE SCHEDULING ANOTHER SCHOOL IN LIEU OF COMING TO LAKE CHARLES FOR THE RETURN GAME IN THE SERIES.

I expected nothing less.

What a minute? How could yall play Southern on December 3rd? Was that arrangement contingent upon McNeese not making the playoffs?
When did you guys make that offer? The reason I ask that question is because that indicates to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you're willing to forego the playoffs so that you can play Southern. That makes sense to me cuz obviously Grambling does it all the time...however, we have been criticized for that in the past. Were you one of the critics?

Thanks for the post though... I agree that Grambling and McNeese should play at least 3 games (home/home; neutral site) like Shreveport or Tad Gormley in New Orleans. It would be good for all involved.

McNeeserocket
November 16th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I expected nothing less.

I think that you are assuming that Southern Univ. is against honoring their contract (Using past problems, rumors and history really has no basis for this present agreement). The fact that Southern Univ. scheduled other OCC games next year (2006) does not necessarily mean that they do not intend to honor their contract. If Southern Univ. is like most Universities, then they have been working on their 2006 and 2007 schedules for quite a while (even though nothing was signed or announced until recently does not mean it had not been in negotiation for quite a while). I know the McNeese-Southern series was in negotiation for many months before it was finalized and announced. Since Southern had no way of knowing ahead of time that the Sept 3rd game would be cancelled due to Hurricane Katrina, then they could not have known to leave an open date in early 2006 to make the game up.

So, why don't we just all assume that the McNeese - Southern return game, to be played in Lake Charles, is still being considered and may actually happen in 2007 or 2008? In the mean time, McNeese can easily schedule other games until the deal can be worked out.

mikebigg
November 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I don't want to get sidetracked, but I can't let this drop. Didn't McTailgator mention that McNeese offered to play SU on Dec 3rd? Can McTailgator tell me if this means he would be willing to see McNeese forego the playoffs to play SU? That's all... now everyone else, back to how we can make some games happen.

SAME OLD G
November 16th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I don't want to get sidetracked, but I can't let this drop. Didn't McTailgator mention that McNeese offered to play SU on Dec 3rd? Can McTailgator tell me if this means he would be willing to see McNeese forego the playoffs to play SU? That's all... now everyone else, back to how we can make some games happen.
Yeah, what he said. Somebody answer.

McNeeserocket
November 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Good Point! I think McTailgator is correct in that McNeese did offer to reschedule the Southern game for the Dec. 3rd weekend, but only if McNeese was not invited to the playoffs (the only way we might go to playoffs is if we win this coming weekend against Nicholls State and we get some additional help from other schools win-loss this same weekend) and Southern was not involved in SWAC Championship game. There is a greater probability of McNeese staying home and not being invited to playoffs this year (though playoffs hopes are still alive and well at this point). McNeese offered Dec. 3rd date as makeup date, realizing that neither McNeese or Southern would likely be involved in post season play (as offer came in middle of season when both schools' record would indicate that a post season was unlikely).

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM
What a minute? How could yall play Southern on December 3rd? Was that arrangement contingent upon McNeese not making the playoffs?
When did you guys make that offer? The reason I ask that question is because that indicates to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that you're willing to forego the playoffs so that you can play Southern. That makes sense to me cuz obviously Grambling does it all the time...however, we have been criticized for that in the past. Were you one of the critics?

Thanks for the post though... I agree that Grambling and McNeese should play at least 3 games (home/home; neutral site) like Shreveport or Tad Gormley in New Orleans. It would be good for all involved.

That was (IF we didn't make the playoffs).

McTailGator
November 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I think that you are assuming that Southern Univ. is against honoring their contract (Using past problems, rumors and history really has no basis for this present agreement). The fact that Southern Univ. scheduled other OCC games next year (2006) does not necessarily mean that they do not intend to honor their contract. If Southern Univ. is like most Universities, then they have been working on their 2006 and 2007 schedules for quite a while (even though nothing was signed or announced until recently does not mean it had not been in negotiation for quite a while). I know the McNeese-Southern series was in negotiation for many months before it was finalized and announced. Since Southern had no way of knowing ahead of time that the Sept 3rd game would be cancelled due to Hurricane Katrina, then they could not have known to leave an open date in early 2006 to make the game up.

So, why don't we just all assume that the McNeese - Southern return game, to be played in Lake Charles, is still being considered and may actually happen in 2007 or 2008? In the mean time, McNeese can easily schedule other games until the deal can be worked out.

Because, the just announced thier 06 schedule this week, knowing full well, they will not honor the contract.

Give it up, they are not an honorable bunch.

mikebigg
November 17th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Just wanted to be clear... Wanted to make sure if you were endorsing bypassing the playoffs (kinda knew you weren't) and for some Bayou Classic SmackTalk. Thanks for the ammo! (lol) You;re welcome to come over and voice your opinion McTailgator. :bang:

AmsterBison
November 17th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Man, I know a lot of Bison (North Dakota State) fans who would be thrilled to play Grambling... maybe one down there and one in the Metrodome?

Yeah, I know, it's not going to happen, but it's nice to dream.

McNeeserocket
November 17th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Because, the just announced thier 06 schedule this week, knowing full well, they will not honor the contract.

Give it up, they are not an honorable bunch.

Their announcement of their 2006 schedule does not mean they do not ever intend to honor their contract. It means that they have a good AD (or someone else) who works on schedules year(s) in advance to make sure they don't always have to schedule games at the last minute. You and I both know that it takes time and a lot of work to get a game scheduled and it can't (shouldn't) be done all at the last minute. In addition, I believe Southern Univ. has many more steps for scheduling approval than a lot of schools.

So I am still very hopeful and optimistic that Southern Univ. will play McNeese in Lake Charles within the next couple of years. Until we hear otherwise, lets just concentrate on the games we do have scheduled.

McNeese75
November 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Their announcement of their 2006 schedule does not mean they do not ever intend to honor their contract. It means that they have a good AD (or someone else) who works on schedules year(s) in advance to make sure they don't always have to schedule games at the last minute. You and I both know that it takes time and a lot of work to get a game scheduled and it can't (shouldn't) be done all at the last minute. In addition, I believe Southern Univ. has many more steps for scheduling approval than a lot of schools.

So I am still very hopeful and optimistic that Southern Univ. will play McNeese in Lake Charles within the next couple of years. Until we hear otherwise, lets just concentrate on the games we do have scheduled.

I agree with your AD comment but it is probably easier to fill a schedule when you are already committed to 9 league games and are only seeking 2 OOC.

Dallas Demon
November 17th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Mike, I was under the impression earlier that Northwestern St./Grambling were to play the 3rd weekend next year at Independence Stadium in Shreveport - but somehow that must have fallen through. Do you know what happened?

mikebigg
November 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Mike, I was under the impression earlier that Northwestern St./Grambling were to play the 3rd weekend next year at Independence Stadium in Shreveport - but somehow that must have fallen through. Do you know what happened?

I don't think it's falling through... I think Grambling is trying to work out a means of playing both Northwestern and ULM. Perhaps, the game dates might have to be juggled to make it work out so that we can play both. That would be a good thing!