PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: The Long, Painful Wait

CSN-info
November 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-the-long-painful-wait&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPG

By Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist

The games have all been played. At this point teams can’t do anything more than politic and point at their body of work to argue that they should be into the field as an at-large entrant. There is no more working on the resume.

In essence, the long, Sunday waiting game for the official playoff selection show, at 7:30 on ESPNU, has now begun.

Plus, an analysis of what happened yesterday in terms of the FCS playoffs, PLUS CSN columnist brackets! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
November 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
I like Chuck and Bruce's brackets.

Something in me tells me that I'd much rather play JMU at JMU than ASU at ASU.

However, Montana @ the Rock would be a much bigger game. xnodx

slycat
November 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm hoping the Texas St AD is throwing some money for a home game. Its a very outside shot but Weber St helped the Bobcats chances.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Elon is still a bubble team. It seems heartbreaking to not include an 8-4 Elon team that was in the Top 10 most of the year and was on the brink of a SoCon championship

Seriously Chuck how much of an Elon homer can you be? They were over-ranked the entire time they were in the top 10, and after getting crushed by Wofford were they really "on the brink" of a SoCon championship? You had them ranked ahead of UR the whole time after UR smoked them at home.

txstatebobcat
November 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'm hoping the Texas St AD is throwing some money for a home game. Its a very outside shot but Weber St helped the Bobcats chances.

That's what I'm hoping as well. The problem is that both Cal Poly and Webber St have already played Montana, for us to get a home game it would mean that someone from the east would have to go to Missoula and I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
UR is not going to App State in Round One. I am surprised all three of these guys picked it that way.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm not so sure, Eight Legger. But I think UR bid enough to host a first round game. Who would we get? The teams that make sense are Wofford, EKU, Liberty & SC St. At least one first round matchup will have to be a "funky travel" game, perhaps UNI or SIU?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Seriously Chuck how much of an Elon homer can you be? They were over-ranked the entire time they were in the top 10, and after getting crushed by Wofford were they really "on the brink" of a SoCon championship? You had them ranked ahead of UR the whole time after UR smoked them at home.

Would your definition of "on the brink" involve leading App State on the road in a game that would have determined the SoCon title? It does mine.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
UR is not going to App State in Round One. I am surprised all three of these guys picked it that way.

I don't see any way around it. The only team that might get paired at ASU other than Richmond is Eastern Kentucky, which is a few miles closer to Boone than Richmond, VA, but I'm guessing they get paired with SIU. Wofford and SC State will be paired, and Liberty will go to JMU. The only bus ride left to Boone is the Spiders.

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Interesting to see that all 3 of them basically have a likely Wofford @ JMU matchup in the 2nd quarterfinals. And all 3 have JMU on the opposite side of the bracket than Nova or UR, which I find surprising. Maybe they know something we don't? That would be good for JMU, despite Nova and UR not peaking the last 2 weeks.

alexale23
November 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I d rather have all CAA teams on Apps side of the bracket Ill take the cal poly weber uni siu over richmond and nova

wocorebel
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I am hoping for the a Wofford/JMU match in the second round. That means we can take care of them then get have another shot at App if they can come through. That is my perfect scenario, takig care of JMU then getting to beat App. It would be better if it was the Championship, but it would be alright in the semis. Then maybe we could put down the Griz again, but this time a little further South in Chattanooga.

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'd LOVE to see Villanova play the Salukis

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'd LOVE to see Villanova play the Salukis
Be careful what you wish for.
EKU @ SIU looks more likely to me.

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Be careful what you wish for.
EKU @ SIU looks more likely to me.

that's true.. but at any round i would not miss that game for the world

terrierbob
November 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but when will we know the selections?

RationalGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but when will we know the selections?

I can not pardon your ignorance, but the selection show is at 7PM eastern on espnu. xthumbsupx

Anovafan
November 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Article says it is at 7:30pm?? Will it be on the radio anywhere? I don't have ESPNU.

terrierbob
November 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I can not pardon your ignorance, but the selection show is at 7PM eastern on espnu. xthumbsupx

I've been told, repeatedly, that it's unpardonable. Just checking.

Appinator
November 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM

I think you are correct too. I really think it will be SCSU coming to Boone in the first round and we could throw a good chunk of change behind our request. The closeness of their campus and how they will travel will off-set the historically under-attended Thanksgiving weekend first round game.

Granted SCSU will probably try hard, but with Cobb on the selection committee this year, I think we will get what we want.

RationalGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Richmond will either play App or Wofford.

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
SC State vs. ASU, Wofford vs. Richmond keeps everyone in buses. But Richmond vs. ASU, SC State vs. Richmond has less mileage. Bids won't be an issue if Richmond hosts either way.

Appinator
November 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
SC State vs. ASU, Wofford vs. Richmond keeps everyone in buses. But Richmond vs. ASU, SC State vs. Richmond has less mileage. Bids won't be an issue if Richmond hosts either way.

Richmond will either play App or Wofford.

Exactly, I think Richmond gets a home game with Wofford and they have the chance to get some revenge from last years game. SCSU goes to App and we have a big crowd for the opening round.

My Bracket prediction, home teams listed first:

JMU (1) - Liberty
Richmond - Wofford
Cal Poly (4) - Weber St.
UNI - UNH

App (2) - SCSU
SIU - EKU
Montana (3) - Texas St.
Villanova - Colgate

CSN-info
November 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPG
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-the-long-painful-wait&disp=single&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The article has been updated with revised and new columnist brackets.