PDA

View Full Version : Will liberty get in?

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
So do yall think liberty will get a bid into the playoffs?

PhoenixSupreme
November 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I would've said no if it was a close game but I'll go with a yes on that...they'll sneak in the back door.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
To me, there's a difference between "should" they and "will" they.

They might get in, but I don't think they're among the top 16 teams.

danefan
November 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Check out http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52903

I think I laid out all teams that are in contention. Does Liberty jump out over them?

Appguy
November 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I must admit I haven't thought highly of them all season but do after this game, I think they should get in and get JMU 1st round!

South Carolina Duke
November 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
There is no way that Liberty is a Top 16 team!

IaaScribe
November 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Not relevant to the discussion. Eastern Illinois wasn't a top 16 team last year, either.

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
I think they will, though others are probably more deserving.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I think they will, though others are probably more deserving.

Like Whom?

Look I think LU deserves a shot. They are playing their best now. I say the Presby loss was an anomaly. They deserve a shot over teams that did not win their conferences.

Go LU!

Fear The Beard
November 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I think they should get in. I looked at the Elon/Liberty game as bascially a play-in game. Liberty wins and Liberty gets to dance!

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
bump for the votez

Seawolf97
November 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I say they make it. Good for the Big South Conference!

AppMAN04
November 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I def think Liberty is in after todays game. Elon got spanked

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I def think Liberty is in after todays game. Elon got spanked

lol what is your avater eating? the competiton?

appstate1998
November 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm still having a hard time putting them ahead of William and Mary. I think they have a better shot by beating Elon....but comparing Liberty's 8-2 FCS record and W&M's 7-3 FCS record, I am more impressed with the 7-3. They only loss to the #1 seed in the playoffs, a possible seed in Villanova and an OT loss to a top 10 playoff bound Richmond team. They lost to FBS NC State. Liberty started the year 6-0 with 2 D-2 wins and finished with a 4-2 record with the Presbyterian loss looming. But the committee took Montana State in 2006 with a D-2 lost and left out an undefeated San Diego team in the top 15 GPI so they will probably let Liberty in.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
I would love Liberty to get in but I don't see them getting in. They lost to PC. That's not earning style points. Remember Wofford got denied the playoffs in '02 because they lost to VMI, I can see a similar result out of this.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I say no. Their schedule is weak and they only have one win over a Top 25team assuming Elon stays in the polls. Their two losses came against Lafayette who finished 4th in the PL and a bad Presbyterian team. Today was the only win over a solid, legit foe.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I voted yes.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Liberty's almost a lock now - Elon was in with a win, and Liberty destroyed them. 10 wins and an emphatic win over the 3rd best team in the SoCon (so much for that depth in the SoCon, huh?) and the Flames are in. They won't last long, but they deserve the shot.

luflame15
November 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
There is no way that Liberty is a Top 16 team!
I think JMU is scared to play Liberty now after seeing what we did to Elon.

rickyball
November 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
They will get in because of their win today over Elon.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
I didn't give Liberty much credence earlier this year. Wins were not impressive over quality opponents, then they got whipped by Lafayette, at home. However, after today's win over a very good Elon team, they should get consideration.

SuperJon
November 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think you're an idiot for saying JMU is scared of playing anyone at this point.

We've got a good case to make. There are examples of teams like us who have gotten in as well. Our case is as best as it's going to get. CAA members will stick with the CAA no matter what. It's how life is on here. These are the same people saying we would lose to the bottom of the SoCon by two and three scores and we come out and beat their third best team by three scores.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM

Very nice, I hadn't thought of it that way. GO LU!

GannonFan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Liberty's almost a lock now - Elon was in with a win, and Liberty destroyed them. 10 wins and an emphatic win over the 3rd best team in the SoCon (so much for that depth in the SoCon, huh?) and the Flames are in. They won't last long, but they deserve the shot.

I think you're an idiot for saying JMU is scared of playing anyone at this point.

We've got a good case to make. There are examples of teams like us who have gotten in as well. Our case is as best as it's going to get. CAA members will stick with the CAA no matter what. It's how life is on here. These are the same people saying we would lose to the bottom of the SoCon by two and three scores and we come out and beat their third best team by three scores.

Uh, I'm a UD guy (CAA you know) and I posted that just 5 posts before you ripped CAA fans. Tsk Tsk. xnonox

SuperJon
November 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
I made a generalization cause there's 200 of you. I know there are exceptions to everything.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Uh, I'm a UD guy (CAA you know) and I posted that just 5 posts before you ripped CAA fans. Tsk Tsk. xnonox

You are the Voice of Reason for a Reason. :P

xbowx xbowx xbowx

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
You are the Voice of Reason for a Reason. :P

xbowx xbowx xbowx

xlolx xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I would EASILY welcome LU to Harrisonburg.

Turfwar
November 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Man I hope Liberty comes to JMU.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah... some of our fans don't get out much. :P

I know JMU wouldn't be scared at all. The main issue that JMU might have would be to overlook lowly Liberty, and even then I don't think it would be an issue. LU would have to be on it's "A" game to survive a game against the Dukes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
If Liberty gets in and plays either JMU or App they'll lose by 28+ IMO. They just haven't played solid enough teams week in and week out to be conditioned for a game like that.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah... some of our fans don't get out much. :P

I know JMU wouldn't be scared at all. The main issue that JMU might have would be to overlook lowly Liberty, and even then I don't think it would be an issue. LU would have to be on it's "A" game to survive a game against the Dukes.

Simple factor. Liberty is a VA team. Same area of recruiting. JMU as a whole would view this as a Richmond / W&M / VMI game. In state rivalry! There will be no overlooking that. I hope we get LU first round as I'm sure that would draw a good amount of in state fans from both schools.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I think Liberty sneaks in this year and gets JMU in the first round. I thought Elon would put the nail in their coffin, but after that win, I say they are in!

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Lot's of opinion and emotion, here's my best shot at an objective view...

GPI going into this weekend:
Elon - 11
WM - 12
Maine - 14
Liberty - 27T

Now, WM, Elon and Maine will drop and Liberty will rise, but on monday the order will likely be WM, Maine, Elon and Liberty.

Best Win

WM - @UNH (#11, won today)
Maine - @UMass (unranked, won today)
Liberty - Elon (#12, lost today)
Elon - Furman (#20, lost today)

Bad Loses

WM - none, but JMU was blowout
Maine - none, but took 2OT to put away Hofstra at home
Liberty - Presbyterian
Elon - none, but blown out by Wofford and @Liberty

Common Opponents

Maine and WM
JMU 10-24, 24-48
UNH 24-28, 38-34
UD 27-10, 27-3
UR 17-44, 20-23 OT
URI 37-7, 34-24
NU 20-0, 38-17
Totals = 135 - 113, 181 - 149, Advantage WM

WM and Liberty
VMI 52-17, 38-26, Advantage WM

WM and Elon
UR 20-23 OT, 10-28, Advantage WM

Analysis

WM has seven DI wins and has a win over #11 and playoff bound UNH at UNH. WM lost by 10 to NCST (ACC). WM lost by 10 to Villanova (#6) with our back-up QB, #1 JMU by 24 and to #7 UR by 3. WM has no bad losses, plays in the toughest division of the toughest FCS conference. VMI and NSU are not strong OOC opponents, but WM's margin of victory was what you would expect from a playoff caliber team. WM has lost their last two after winning five straight, but both loses were to top ten teams.

Maine has 8 DI wins, no wins over ranked or playoff-bound opponents, and one of their wins was against non-scholarship Iona. Maine has won 7 of their last 8. The north division of the CAA is weaker than the south, but the committee could favor a second north team over a fourth south team.

Elon has 8 DI wins, but after Furman's loss today, none of their wins will likely be over ranked opponents. Elon lost three of their last four games.

Liberty has 8 DI wins and is the only team in consideration that won today. However, Liberty's SOS is not on par with the other bubble teams. The committee may like to give the Big South champ a playoff spot, but they could just as easily deny Liberty for scheduling two sub-DI opponents. They have a bad loss to Presbyterian, truthfully a game a playoff squad shouldn't lose. Additionally, a 3 point win over YSU, 5 point win over CCU, and a 14 point loss to Lafayette does not look like the resume of a playoff caliber team. One of those by itself could be explained away, but not all four IMO.

WM may not be playoff caliber, but by virtually every objective standard they appear to be the best team available.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
W&M is close, but I don't think they get in. W&M lost to a lot of good teams, reminds me a bit of Nova in 2001 when they finished 8-3 losing to W&M in the last game and did not get in. I think W&M is in a similar spot and will be on the outside looking in.

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
W&M is close, but I don't think they get in. W&M lost to a lot of good teams, reminds me a bit of Nova in 2001 when they finished 8-3 losing to W&M in the last game and did not get in. I think W&M is in a similar spot and will be on the outside looking in.

Fair enough, but I'm curious as to your reasons why, keeping in mind my above post?

JaxSinfonian
November 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Going homer, sorry. Jax State gets in (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52930) over Liberty. The OVC seems to wield influence on the committee.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Fair enough, but I'm curious as to your reasons why, keeping in mind my above post?

I think with only 7 wins and especially losing the last two will be the death knell. I realize the last two were against UR and JMU, but still, finishing with 2 losses is a losing streak. Even going back before those two, they beat Towson, NE, URI and UD, all weak teams. W&M hasn't won against a good team since October 11th at UNH.

If W&M had played 12 games and finished 8-4, I think they might sneak in.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Going homer, sorry. Jax State gets in (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52930) over Liberty. The OVC seems to wield influence on the committee.

You got a real point there, I would not be surprised to see them in over Liberty. That last spot is a real debater.

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
I think with only 7 wins and especially losing the last two will be the death knell. I realize the last two were against UR and JMU, but still, finishing with 2 losses is a losing streak. Even going back before those two, they beat Towson, NE, URI and UD, all weak teams. W&M hasn't won against a good team since October 11th at UNH.

If W&M had played 12 games and finished 8-4, I think they might sneak in.

I'm aware of the holes in our resume, but it's still better than Liberty's resume and its not even that close IMO. Losing the last two hurts, but the committee looks at the entire season, not just the last two weeks. Liberty just doesn't stack up. Last question, how is Liberty more deserving than WM?

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
heart feels Liberty, mind thinks WM, committee sez......

JaxSinfonian
November 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
You got a real point there, I would not be surprised to see them in over Liberty. That last spot is a real debater.

More people would be talking about us, I think, except that we were idle today. Liberty is the toast of AGS (and deservedly so) for their win. We've got about as strong a resume but we weren't on the scoreboard today.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
More people would be talking about us, I think, except that we were idle today. Liberty is the toast of AGS (and deservedly so) for their win. We've got about as strong a resume but we weren't on the scoreboard today.

See my post on your other topic, I think this one is a really tough call. Jax St., Liberty and maybe even W&M. W&M has a good resume but they lost to all teams that are higher than them, except for UNH, which I am not sure where they really stack up, probably top 10. Bottom line, W&M has 7 wins and 4 losses and that doesn't get in the playoffs in most years (yes, I know about Colgate and UNH in past years).

I still think Liberty gets in, but they may take Jax. St. because of Perrilloux and put him on the ESPN game against JMU, App St. or Montana. That would make for good TV.

Khan4Cats
November 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I say yes. They are a 2-loss team, but the also fit geographically to travel to play at James Madison and would be the "last team in" and as such, essentially, the 16 seed.

SuperJon
November 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Simple factor. Liberty is a VA team. Same area of recruiting. JMU as a whole would view this as a Richmond / W&M / VMI game. In state rivalry! There will be no overlooking that. I hope we get LU first round as I'm sure that would draw a good amount of in state fans from both schools.

I would love to go to JMU for this reason, and one other.

We start the four year series with JMU next year in Lynchburg. If we go to Harrisonburg and make a game of it, next year's game becomes a HUGE game in terms of hype, excitement, etc.

Right now, I just want to get in. If we can get in, all bets are off.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Well said. I would love to see us become part of a statewide rivalry including those teams and it could start here and now.

I believe firmly that as a 2 loss team with a HUGE win today we are in, it is just a matter of waiting on the wonderful committee to find out for sure.

I think LU could make some noise against ANYONE. Yea, I said it!
:D

luflame15
November 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I agree with the last two posts. And to William & Mary fans the selection comittee will take an 8-2 team vs a 7-4 team. Liberty gets in with their huge win today against Elon.

BJuice
November 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yes, I think they should get in. Every fan from a Big South school should want them in.

With this kind of stuff, it is not about us and them. It is about we, as in the Big South Conference.

Liberty, here's hoping you get in and make some noise.

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with the last two posts. And to William & Mary fans the selection comittee will take an 8-2 team vs a 7-4 team. Liberty gets in with their huge win today against Elon.

Strength of schedule would dictate otherwise.

PhoenixSupreme
November 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM

I think that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. JMU is on a higher level than Elon, plus Liberty is too inconsistent of a team to bring out fear to a team like JMU. Just because you beat us doesn't mean you should let it go to your head and delude you

luflame15
November 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Dude , you guys got shut down today , so dont talk!!! You got held to a freakin FG. Our team shut u guys down. Even Mr.Hudgens got it stuck to him. So did Riddle and Newsome. So have sitting at home next weekend , while we travel to play JMU.

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
i wouldnt talk about that jmu game yet :O

PhoenixSupreme
November 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Dude , you guys got shut down today , so dont talk!!! You got held to a freakin FG. Our team shut u guys down. Even Mr.Hudgens got it stuck to him. So did Riddle and Newsome. So have sitting at home next weekend , while we travel to play JMU.

I never said anything that would resemble complaining about this game. I accept it for what it was and I congratulate you on winning. Still comparing us to JMU is not a good idea because JMU is so much better as a team and is more dangerous as a whole. Elon was the strongest opponent you beat and so that doesn't justify JMU being "scared" of the Flames. And kirkblitz is right...you still aren't out of the woods yet (read the topic title).

luflame15
November 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
JMU is just another team. 11 guys on offensevs 11 guys defense.

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
JMU is definitely vulnerable, but not to Liberty.

PhoenixSupreme
November 23rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
JMU is definitely vulnerable, but not to Liberty.

Absolutely right. Any time can be vulnerable at any time at any place, but we are realistically looking at the odds of that team being vulnerable. And JMU's odds of being vulnerable are pretty low.

luflame15
November 23rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Look, Elon was suppose to be not vulnerable to losing to Liberty and they got stomped. Liberty will get in and will put it to them but i dont expect a huge win.

DB_Atlantic10
November 23rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Liberty has clearly met the new criteria for non-autobid conference teams to get in...so they do make it regardless of what we think.....they will be on the bracket tomorrow and more than likely at JMU first round.....

luflame15
November 23rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
Thanks for your support.

T-Dog
November 23rd, 2008, 02:42 AM
I say yes. And a JMU/Liberty game is all too easy to predict if Liberty makes it.

Dukie95
November 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
The main issue that JMU might have would be to overlook lowly Liberty, and even then I don't think it would be an issue.

People also said that before Maine, Hofstra, Delaware, Towson. JMU has been prepared each week.

Also, JMU tends to not play down to the level of their opponents. Villanova's a great team, but that's been a problem for them this year.

TribeNomad
November 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
I can assure you JMU is not scared of LU----they have grins as wide as Texas thinking about this matchup. The CAA is no Big South----we beat each other up every week so you guys can look good at 8-3 or 9-2.

Landers will be like a knife through butter to your defense---praying for someone to tackle him will not help.......

19Duke97
November 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM

Ummm no, most JMU fans would love to have Liberty instead of Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Ummm no, most JMU fans would love to have Liberty instead of Wofford.

I don't know about you but if a fan base does not know much about Wofford and sees them lose 70-24 on National television the "uneducated" fans (The ones that know little outside the conference b/c they don't go on this board etc.) will probably want Wofford. That's just my guess but I can't speak for your fan base.

19Duke97
November 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
I don't know about you but if a fan base does not know much about Wofford and sees them lose 70-24 on National television the "uneducated" fans (The ones that know little outside the conference b/c they don't go on this board etc.) will probably want Wofford. That's just my guess but I can't speak for your fan base.

I was actually stating we'd rather play Liberty than Wofford because we see your team as more of a threat.

WOCO
November 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
I think liberty will get in but it is based on the false premise that Elon was a good team. Their ranking the entire years was based on what they should do. They didn't beat one good team all year. They have lost 3 of their last 4 but those were the only "tough" teams that they played. PC is horrible and they beat liberty. I don't know that either team has proven to be very good.

kirkblitz
November 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
guess we will see

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I had thought Liberty had no chance to get in win or lose...then I remembered 2006 so I'm pretty sure Liberty takes that last spot. Also A liberty fan explained their issue with the DII scheduling to me which I can't really hold that against them since a DI backed out on them. I still think W&M deserve it but after reviewing the past 5 years selections, I feel Liberty is a lock.

JaxSinfonian
November 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Also A liberty fan explained their issue with the DII scheduling to me which I can't really hold that against them since a DI backed out on them.

I don't think the committee can consider who a team would like to have played. They can only look at the schedule they actually played. If we're gonna look at what might have been, we were in talks once upon a time for an early-season neutral-site game in Atlanta against Georgia Southern. We wanted to do it, but a number of other teams on our slate wouldn't flex their schedules to let it happen. Not our fault.

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I don't think the committee can consider who a team would like to have played. They can only look at the schedule they actually played. If we're gonna look at what might have been, we were in talks once upon a time for an early-season neutral-site game in Atlanta against Georgia Southern. We wanted to do it, but a number of other teams on our slate wouldn't flex their schedules to let it happen. Not our fault.

I agree to an extent...I was basically saying that filling that slot with a DII shouldn't hurt them since they played 12 games. They could have just not played the game since they DI backed out and only played 11 games like a lot of teams. I also agree JaxState should be considered as well. They have had a great season and you could have easily been undefeated in FCS play.

AlphaSigMD
November 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Probably.

JaxSinfonian
November 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
I agree to an extent...I was basically saying that filling that slot with a DII shouldn't hurt them since they played 12 games. They could have just not played the game since they DI backed out and only played 11 games like a lot of teams.

Good point, but you may be considering it sorta backwards. The guidelines don't say DII games hurt you, they say in effect that playing all-DI competition can help you. Even if Liberty's DI opponent hadn't backed out, or even if they'd elected to remain idle that week, they still wouldn't have had an all-DI schedule.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
I love how the JMU fans are looking at LU as a patsie. If we get you, I hope your players and coaches do that too.
Look you guys have an awesome team, and you should beat us, but you know the phrase, "anything can happen on any given Saturday!".

GO LU!

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I love how the JMU fans are looking at LU as a patsie. If we get you, I hope your players and coaches do that too.
Look you guys have an awesome team, and you should beat us, but you know the phrase, "anything can happen on any given Saturday!".

GO LU!

Regardless it will be nice having another VA school playing at Bridgeforth if it happens.

matfu
November 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
what time is the playoff show? is it on tv? channel?

luflame15
November 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
7 PM , ESPNU

matfu
November 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Liberty had zero chance before whipping elon. i now think they will get in despite the loss to PC even though, sure Wm and Mary or Maine might be better teams. of couse, Jx state makw get in instead.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
xrulesx Even though the Bill and Mary fans have been loud and obnoxious today, the majority of the board thinks LU deserves in over W&M!

luflame15
November 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
We def do derserve in over W&M because we have won 10 games and many other factors.