PDA

View Full Version : Seeds after expansion

URMite
November 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Has there been any talk about seeding 8 teams once the playoffs are expanded? That would be a good time to bring it up again. OTOH, giving the 8 teams with a bye, a seed as well may be considered too much.

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Has there been any talk about seeding 8 teams once the playoffs are expanded? That would be a good time to bring it up again. OTOH, giving the 8 teams with a bye, a seed as well may be considered too much.

I haven't seen anthing yet. And there will be 8 teams who don't get a bye. I believe 12 teams will get a bye so that you end up with a 16 team first round.

20 team opening round (4 games, 12 byes)
16 team first round
quarterfinal
semifinal
Final

So at the very least the Commitee will have to decide, who the top 4 seeds are and who the bottom 8 teams are.

Its pretty likely the AQ's from the following conferences will end up in the opening round:

NEC
Patriot
MEAC
OVC
SLC
Big South

Two at-large squads will also likely be in the opening round. Likely any second bid from these conferences or the last teams in from the Big Sky, CAA, Socon, or MVFC.

It actually works out pretty well regionally for opening round also: NEC vs. PL; MEAC vs. Big South; OVC vs. SLC and then have one of the at-larges travel to the other.

Thus leaving the AQ's from the CAA, Socon, Big Sky and MVFC with essentially auto-byes.

tingly
November 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
An article says 8 teams are seeded to receive first-round byes. Since a normal 20-team tourney would have 12 first-round byes, do 4 teams who aren't geographically close to anyone get the other 4 byes? Are they seeded as an unnumbered group, or in order from 1 to 8, or from 1 to 4 plus a block of 4 more? How many of the 8 auto-host the 2nd round with a minimum bid? Did the reporter mess up?

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM
An article says 8 teams are seeded to receive first-round byes. Since a normal 20-team tourney would have 12 first-round byes, do 4 teams who aren't geographically close to anyone get the other 4 byes? Are they seeded as an unnumbered group, or in order from 1 to 8, or from 1 to 4 plus a block of 4 more? How many of the 8 auto-host the 2nd round with a minimum bid? Did the reporter mess up?

Do you have a link to that article?

89Hen
November 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
This is gonna be a CF for a while. We will all have to relearn what the Committee will do. xrotatehx

tingly
November 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
not that it says any more about it, but here's the article http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=79017&p=1009982

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 12:56 PM
not that it says any more about it, but here's the article http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=79017&p=1009982

Yeah, I think the reporter got it wrong. I think 8 teams will play in the opening round.

URMite
November 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
I haven't seen anthing yet. And there will be 8 teams who don't get a bye. I believe 12 teams will get a bye so that you end up with a 16 team first round.

20 team opening round (4 games, 12 byes)
16 team first round
quarterfinal
semifinal
Final

So at the very least the Commitee will have to decide, who the top 4 seeds are and who the bottom 8 teams are.

Its pretty likely the AQ's from the following conferences will end up in the opening round:

NEC
Patriot
MEAC
OVC
SLC
Big South

Two at-large squads will also likely be in the opening round. Likely any second bid from these conferences or the last teams in from the Big Sky, CAA, Socon, or MVFC.

It actually works out pretty well regionally for opening round also: NEC vs. PL; MEAC vs. Big South; OVC vs. SLC and then have one of the at-larges travel to the other.

Thus leaving the AQ's from the CAA, Socon, Big Sky and MVFC with essentially auto-byes.

Yeah, I definitely got that backwards. Maybe 4 seeds, 8 other teams with a bye (who play each other in the 2nd rd?), and 8 teams that don't get a bye (and play the seeds in the 2nd rd?)

So they would still only need to seed the top 4. :(

8 Byes is with 24 teams, then maybe they will seed 8...

Cranium716
November 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Since four team would be playing in the "play-in" games, wouldn't they have to somewhat seed those bottom four teams?

tingly
November 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
I bet they'd still go with geography. Different-conference teams within 300 miles of each other would be a lock to get paired. I'm afraid I wouldn't find it shocking if the NCAA picked the 4 first-round games by whichever games were bus trips.