PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Kickers

CSN-info
November 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
College Sporting News

The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We will be publishing the lists over the next two weeks and we hope you will enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Shellin
November 21st, 2008, 12:27 AM
I am sorry, but any list that doesn't have Dan Carpenter in the top 30 is absolutely bogus.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I am sorry, but any list that doesn't have Dan Carpenter in the top 30 is absolutely bogus.That's not what Wofford says! xsmiley_wix

Shellin
November 21st, 2008, 12:36 AM
That's not what Wofford says! xsmiley_wix

Ok, I definitely laughed, but still...a two time All-American and the FCS career leader in points as a kicker PLUS being the starting kicker for an NFL team should at least merit top 30 status...right? xeyebrowx

Rob Iola
November 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
um, no Mr. Wide Right himself - Scott Norwood? from JMU? All kidding aside, he was a damn good kicker...

btw, he lives down the street from me, and his kids go to school with my kids...

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM
um, no Mr. Wide Right himself - Scott Norwood? from JMU? All kidding aside, he was a damn good kicker...

btw, he lives down the street from me, and his kids go to school with my kids...Oddly, he was replaced by the #1 on this list... Steve Christie

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Ok, I definitely laughed, but still...a two time All-American and the FCS career leader in points as a kicker PLUS being the starting kicker for an NFL team should at least merit top 30 status...right? You'd think so, Snyder was on there.

JmuSkinsfan
November 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
Norwood not there? Really?

And how is Charles Haley not on the DL list?

Bogus.

th0m
November 21st, 2008, 01:44 AM
What! No Scott Norwood? xlolx

Borat
November 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Bjorn Nittmo!

appfan2008
November 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM
app got two players on there which is great!!!

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
And how is Charles Haley not on the DL list?Someone already posted that Haley was an LB in college. xcoffeex

JMU2004
November 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
so you replace Norwood with Christie, and leave Norwood off entirely?

Makes sense xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
so you replace Norwood with Christie, and leave Norwood off entirely?Norwood misses AGAIN! xlolx

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
so you replace Norwood with Christie, and leave Norwood off entirely?

Makes sense xrolleyesx

I think he meant replaced him in real life, not on the list...

andy7171
November 21st, 2008, 07:52 AM

Bogus.

I'm guessing there is going to be a DE category.

28. Mike Dragosavich, P, North Dakota State, None
The Bison punter was a 2006 and 2007 All-American--his junior and senior seasons. He led the
FCS in average yards per punt. He had a great performance at the Senior Bowl averaging 58
yards per punt in three punts, including a record breaking 69-yarder. Dragosavich signed a
contract with the NFL's New England Patriots after going undrafted in the 2008 NFL Draft but
was released in June and remains a free agent.
Dang! I was hoping there would be a link to that basketball halftime dance to entertain all our North Dakotans!

I keep forgetting Towson was D.II when Sean Landetta played.

blueballs
November 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
16. Rob Bironas , K, Georgia Southern, None

Most GSU folks will tell you he is no better than the fifth best kicker to come out of GSU, certainly not as good as- in no particular order- Tim Foley, David Cool, Chris Chambers, and Scott Shelton. In fact, he was MOL second string behind Shelton his one year at GSU.

This selection to this list should end any debate as to whether this list is based on college or pro accomplishments, because Bironas had very little to any accomplishments at GSU.

wapiti
November 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
Jan Stenerud should be on this list.

DaDukes40
November 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM

Bogus.

The real outrage on the DL list is how Howie Long was left off. These list lose a bit of credibility with me for leaving off Long.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
... whether this list is based on college or pro accomplishmentsIt says upfront it is a mix.
Jan Stenerud should be on this list.Never played FCS.
... Howie Long was left off.Never played FCS.

andy7171
November 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
The real outrage on the DL list is how Howie Long was left off. These list lose a bit of credibility with me for leaving off Long.

Wasn't Nova I-A during his days?

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Wasn't Nova I-A during his days?1987 is when Villanova started FCS. Long was drafted before that.

Canyoncat
November 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Jan Stenerud should be on this list.

Can't, because Jan played in the 60's.

As for Carpenter, He should be top 10!

Cranium716
November 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
It says upfront it is a mix.

Well that would explain Norwood's absence...

gbhmt
November 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah to have the one that scored the most points and has succeed so far in the NFL not even in the top 30, let alone top 10, that's crazy.

JMU Newbill
November 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM
i found out scott norwood went to jmu after my first day of school there.... if i had known prior, i probably would have gone to uva.........

sometimes, ignorance is bliss

Rob Iola
November 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
i found out scott norwood went to jmu after my first day of school there.... if i had known prior, i probably would have gone to uva.........

sometimes, ignorance is bliss
You chose JMU over UVA?

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
You chose JMU over UVA?

Believe it or not, there are legitimate reasons to do so.

Rob Iola
November 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Believe it or not, there are legitimate reasons to do so.
Generally revolving around the words "safety school"...

OT - just win the damn NC, woodja?

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

No generally revolving around the words "I'm not a pretentious prick" :p

(with apologies to 89Hen's kinfolk)

Proud Griz Man
November 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
It says upfront it is a mix.Never played FCS.Never played FCS.

So we can have a Buck Buchanan award for the top FCS / I-AA defensive player, but Jan Stenerud can't be a top FCS kicker. Wow, they even played together!!!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/hall_of_fame/stenerudj.jpg

The first pure placekicker to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and the fifth Chiefs player to make it to Canton . . . Regarded by many as the best placekicker in pro football history . . . Named to the NFL’s 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in 1994 . . . Played 19 NFL seasons: Kansas City 1967-79; Green Bay Packers 1980-83; and Minnesota Vikings 1984-85 . . . Ranks third on the league’s all-time scoring list with 1,699 points and is fourth in career field goals made with 373 . . . Still owns or shares nine Chiefs records, including field goals attempted in a career (436) and season (44), consecutive games played (186) and consecutive games scoring field goals (16) . . . Hit a 48-yard field goal and two other FGs in Super Bowl IV victory over the Vikings . . . Played in 263 pro games and never missed one because of injury or illness . . . Played in two AFL All-Star games and four AFC-NFC Pro Bowls . . . Named the Outstanding Offensive Player in the 1972 Pro Bowl . . . Was selected by the Chiefs in the third round of the 1966 AFL “redshirt” draft . . . Attended Montana State University on a skiing scholarship . . . Was an outstanding ski jumper in his native Norway . . . His jersey number 3 has been retired by the Chiefs . . . Born November 26, 1942, in Fetsund, Norway . . .

clenz
November 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
2 Panthers...nice

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
So we can have a Buck Buchanan award for the top FCS / I-AA defensive player...and the Walter Payton award for the top FCS offensive player........... and neither played a single down of FCS!

xdizzyx

SLOSTYLE
November 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
i mean, this list is completely bogus until you include the current poly kicker, andrew gardner.xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
i mean, this list is completely bogus until you include the current poly kicker, andrew gardner.xthumbsupxsomehow I knew this was coming from you xlolx

nwFL Griz
November 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Why the heck should any list about FCS football history include pro accomplishments?

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Why the heck should any list about FCS football history include pro accomplishments?Maybe because FCS players have distinguished pro accomplishments? xcoffeex

BTW, as I read these lists it is apparent that the lists were done before this season.

nwFL Griz
November 21st, 2008, 09:38 PM
Maybe because FCS players have distinguished pro accomplishments? xcoffeex

BTW, as I read these lists it is apparent that the lists were done before this season.

Maybe, but by using that logic it makes the converse true. In that, if a certain player didn't have significant pro achievements, they are somehow not noteworthy in this "top 30" list.

As evidenced by Carpenter's omission from the kickers list....and others which have already been brought up.

placidlakegriz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Ok, I definitely laughed, but still...a two time All-American and the FCS career leader in points as a kicker PLUS being the starting kicker for an NFL team should at least merit top 30 status...right? xeyebrowx

How do you miss the record holder???

placidlakegriz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM

Except that some on the list didn't have a pro career, Ralph.

nmatsen
November 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
2 Panthers...nice

Nice, yet of the two, they didn't even get the best one.

South Carolina Duke
November 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
This list is incomplete without JMU's Scott Norwood. A great kicker.

nmatsen
November 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Was this professional and college careers or just college and they noted what they did in the pro's.

P.S. I think Mike Scifres should have been # 1. I really don't know if many on this board know how good he really is.

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM

Hey Rob - it happens more than you think - I chose JMU over UVA. If not for any other fact that when I toured UVA I was so turned off by their snotty attitude. Back to the list -- Scott Norwood not being on this list is a travesty. Put aside that one missed kick, he's a pro bowl kicker and top 1-AA kicker of 1980. I met him once while at JMU too - he's a really nice guy as well.

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM

So, is should have Carps on it, right? Oh and nice remark about Snyder.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe he didn't want Mr. Wide Right to be associated with FCS? xlolx

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
This is from a Griz fan, Grizfan9420, trying to get a reason for not having Carpenter on the list.

TO CSN/Ralph Wallace: Hey Gents, your top 30 list appears to be far from comprehensive and certainly ignores several Montana players, most notably, Dan Carpenter (Kicker). Dan is the FCS top scorer OF ALL TIME, and now a very successful kicker for the Miami Dolphins (check ESPN). How can a top 30 list have any credibility when the #1 scorer of all time is left off the list????

Here is Ralph's response:

"Perhaps you missed that Snyder was on the list (in case you don't remember
he also played for the Griz), which was compiled before the current NFL
season? Other kickers have been the FCS top scorer OF ALL TIME too you
know?

Whatever. It is a sampling..." Ralph Wallace

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
So, is should have Carps on it, right?http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1217494&postcount=7 RIF

Grizzaholic
November 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Maybe he didn't want Mr. Wide Right to be associated with FCS? xlolx

Take it off the discussion board and to Smack--------------->

Grizzaholic
November 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1217494&postcount=7 RIF

Nice edit job.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Hey Rob - it happens more than you think - I chose JMU over UVA. If not for any other fact that when I toured UVA I was so turned off by their snotty attitude. Back to the list -- Scott Norwood not being on this list is a travesty. Put aside that one missed kick, he's a pro bowl kicker and top 1-AA kicker of 1980. I met him once while at JMU too - he's a really nice guy as well.
Just yankin' your chain - I'll be takin' my kids out to Harrisonburg for campus tours starting next year (Charlottesville and Blacksburg too) - beautiful area!

And yes, Scott Norwood is a really great guy - though it is a bit awkward at first to talk to him about his NFL days (thankfully I could talk to him about girls soccer instead - seriously)...