PDA

View Full Version : Edwards vs. Dally; more similar than you might think

SLOSTYLE
November 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm sure no one will argue that these two quarterbacks are extreme dual threats on offense, and with todays release of the final ballot for the payton award which left off dally, i thought i would try and shed some light on the fact that he may not be that far behind edwards when it comes to numbers. Now im not saying dally is better than edwards, in fact, after watching edwards against wofford on espn, i feel like edwards is the better passer, runner, and unquestionably the better pro prospect. The bottom line is that dally isnt that far behind edwards in pretty much every catagory, and its a shame that someone so statistically close to the payton award frontrunner, isnt even on the ballot. also keep in mind that dally has played two less games than edwards, and will finish the season as such. also, BOTH players have had multiple games where they are taken out of the game early to avoid an injury in a blowout, so that really isnt something that should be taken into account

Player
Edwards
Dally

Yards

TD's

INT's

Rating

YPG

Rushing

Yards

TD's

YPC

YPG

appstate1998
November 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
Edwards has 4 games with 100 yards rushing or more, Dally has 0. They both have 4 games with at least 200 yards passing. Dally's longest rush is for 29, Armanti's is for 76. Armanti's opponents combined record 67-50. Dally's opponents combined record 41-55.

Dally's monster game was against 4-6 Southern Utah and Dally was still playing in the 4th quarter. Armanti's monster game was against 8-2 Wofford and he also played a series in the fourth.

Edwards worst game stat wise was against 8-3 Jacksonville where he didn't have to do anything because App was rushing all over the place....and he only played a series in the second half. Dally's worst game was against 0-11 Idaho State where he played til 4th.

Armanti didn't even step on the field in the second half of the UTC game, and was in and out of the Elon game.

Armanti played 4 full games and that was against JMU, GSU, Samford and Furman...all of which were pretty close games. Dally played 5 full games, 2 of which were wins by more than 27 points, the other 3 were close.

Not taking anything away from Dally, but you have to look at more than just stats. When you are choosing someone to win an award, you need to compare games and opponents and offensive lines etc. Because stats don't always tell the whole story...

just like.....what happens when you play LSU as an FCS team.

The LSU game definitely hurt Edwards stats when it comes to completion percentage and rushing yards. His completion % was 42% and his ypc was .53. LSU was the defending FBS national champion so I think that one game definitely skews his stats.

They both played respective in their FCS losses so I call a draw there.

Edward's has accumulated 830 more yards of offense which is pretty significant. However, let's give Dally credit. Cal Poly has played 2 less games than ASU...so obviously his total yardage would definitely go up. But would his averages go up? Would they go down. No way to tell. Either way, they are both great quarterbacks, but in my opinion they are not as close as you think. When you think their rushing touchdowns are close, you are just looking at number of touchdowns. Almost all of Dally's rushing touchdowns are 1 yarders. A good many of Armanti's are 15-30 yard runs. Other than the GSU game...App has been giving it to Welton lately to score the TD more often than letting AE superman it in.

Touchdown Yosef
November 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Dally definitely deserves to be on the watch list, no question there.

Black and Gold Express
November 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
The most amazing part of the LSU game was that Armanti came out in one piece. I lost track of the number of times he got the snap and was instantly on the run for his life. An LSU fan friend of mine says he avoided about 12-15 sacks that most SEC quarterbacks would have taken with protection like we had that day.

Armanti probably used one of his nine lives in that game.

ericsaid
November 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
He just used his superman like abilities.

Rob Iola
November 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Neither - Landers...

SLOSTYLE
November 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Edwards has 4 games with 100 yards rushing or more, Dally has 0. They both have 4 games with at least 200 yards passing. Dally's longest rush is for 29, Armanti's is for 76. Armanti's opponents combined record 67-50. Dally's opponents combined record 41-55.

dally had 173 yards rushing verse davis last saturday. and with 4 guys with over 5 td's rushing, poly definitly spreads the ball around when they get inside the 20.

appstate1998
November 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM
dally had 173 yards rushing verse davis last saturday. and with 4 guys with over 5 td's rushing, poly definitly spreads the ball around when they get inside the 20.

my bad..change that 0 to 1 and change that to 6 games he played the whole game instead of 5

not to down on Dally...but imo as far as QB's go it's Edwards or Landers as the ones to be considered for the Payton as a QB

SLOSTYLE
November 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
If you look back at my post, i agreed with you that edwards is clearly the better player. But i think most people can agree that dally is putting up amazing numbers, and the fact that the committee left him off the ballot, when, lets face it numbers are pretty much the main the thing they look at when determining things like this, is just wrong. Dally, although not as spectacular, deserves at least to be mentioned with armanti as a top fcs player, and i hope dally proves it again this sat vs wisc.

appstate1998
November 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well if you think that yardage and such is the reason he should be on there, then he would rank near the very bottom for total offensive yardage amongst QB's on the watch.

SLOSTYLE
November 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
i never said anything about yardage, i said numbers, which includes yardage but is not limited to that. if you replicated dally's stats over two extra games, he would have 2053 passing yards (armanti 2146) 24 tds( 25 for armanti) still 1 int( 2 for armanti) a passer rating of 193.6(178.5) he would have 643 rush yards( 890 ) and 9 rush tds(9 for armanti). can you really say those numbers are not similar? are you just being blinded by your east coast bias? look, armanti will win the payton, and he deserves to, dally is just being overlooked by the committee, maybe because barden was expected to be th real candidate from poly this year

appstate1998
November 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
I don't think 100% that Armanti should win....I truly believe Landers is a true threat as well and would be just as deserving. Plus we can't forget that FCS isn't just a spread offense game. There are several QB's out there with well over 3000 yards passing. I have no bias in this. I get bashed just as much by App fans as non App fans do becasue as an App fan I think Jerry Moore is overrated and I thought Trey Elder was horrible.

I love college football, and ASU is the school I have passionately cheered for for over 25 years. I will critique ASU just as much as anyone and on this board I get bashed all the time by the "homer" crowd.

However I am not overly impressed with Dally compared with the other top 5 QB's in the division. You really think if Cal Poly played LSU to add a game to their resume his numbers would get better. He may gain a few yards here or there like AE did, but his percentages and YPC and such would have dropped. I'm not trying to take anything away from Dally but he is not a top 5 QB in my opinion.

Stang Fever
November 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
I truly believe Dally is just as good... Dally is not playing in the fourth quarter. Yeah his rushing numbers are not as high. but that is because we spread the ball around. As for throwing. We have been running the ball down peoples throats so there is no need to throw the ball

Poly Pigskin
November 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
However I am not overly impressed with Dally compared with the other top 5 QB's in the division. You really think if Cal Poly played LSU to add a game to their resume his numbers would get better. He may gain a few yards here or there like AE did, but his percentages and YPC and such would have dropped. I'm not trying to take anything away from Dally but he is not a top 5 QB in my opinion.

I would agree with that, and even against Wisconsin (obviously not as good as LSU) his averages will drop. He's a good QB, but not worthy of winning the Payton.

I would like to see him on the watch list though, he has much more influence on the game than Barden does, and I think that's readily obvious by looking at the offensive production in 05 and 06 vs 07 and 08. Barden was around for all 4 years, but the offense never really took off until last 2 seasons when Dally transferred in. James Noble has been around for all 4 of those years as well, so the running game has never been an issue either. Dally has had a HUGE impact on our offense the last 2 seasons, which has gotten the Poly fans excited and rightfully so. We have so many strong offensive weapons that no one individual will put up mind-boggling numbers, which hurts Dally, but it is a team sport after all so that's just as well.

Thunderstruck84
November 22nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Joe Montana:
192 career games, per game average: 63.2 completion %, 211.2 yards, 1.42 TDs, 0.72 INTs

Jeff Garcia
119 games, per game average: 61.76 completion %, 205.4 yards, 1.29 TDs, 0.67 INTs

What's the difference between these two?

Black Saturday
November 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Neither - Landers...

Ha ha ha ha

appstate1998
November 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Joe Montana:
192 career games, per game average: 63.2 completion %, 211.2 yards, 1.42 TDs, 0.72 INTs

Jeff Garcia
119 games, per game average: 61.76 completion %, 205.4 yards, 1.29 TDs, 0.67 INTs

What's the difference between these two?

Jerry Rice? j/k

But you make a great point. Stats don't mean jack. Garcia had a couple monster years which inflate his stats over his career. Hell he did something Joe didn't do and that is throw for over 4000 yards during the regular season, and he did another thing and that was have back to back 30 td or more years, something Joe never did, but no one would ever argue that The Comeback Kid and the guy Tim Rattay replaced are anywhere close to the same level.

There are a lot of people that could be on the watch....but I think the list is pretty good as it is. I mean you don't want 60 players on the Payton watch the last week of the season and there are already a good many QB's on that list...I think 6? I think honestly part of the reason Dally doesn't get as much attention is because he spend his first two years of ball in community college and although he is having a good year as a senior, people are just now seeing what he is capable of. He was probably getting considered to be added after his monster game at Southern Utah where he had 450 total yards of offense....but his next 3 games combined he had 520. He probably was gonna get on the list but you know how politics are and since Pizzotti is "the next Flacco" they probably wanted him on the list so they can say he look we had an NFL qb on our list.

gsugt1
November 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
I'll take Armanti Edwards every day over everyone ...... but Jayson Foster :) xthumbsupx