PDA

View Full Version : RIP IONA COLLEGE FOOTBALL

GaelsFootball
November 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone on this site for all the support we were given. Unfortunetly, it fell on deaf ears. Iona will no longer sponser football. This is one of the worst days in my entire life and I just want to say good luck to the remaining FCS programs. My time here is done.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.

LehighFan11
November 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear.

Stang Fever
November 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Terrible... I signed the petition and everything. Sorry to here this

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I knew it was coming.

phoenixphanatic21
November 20th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I am very sorry to hear that. I offer my deepest condolences and there is always a spot on the Elon bandwagon for you.

GaelsFootball
November 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Terrible... I signed the petition and everything. Sorry to here this

According to our President he was "impressed with the amount of signitures"...but the upon looking at the names realized that "80% of the signitures were simply Home Depot signitures that had no idea of the situation"

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
This sucks. I can't even imagine losing football. Was looking forward to you guys visiting the Bill next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
According to our President he was "impressed with the amount of signitures"...but the upon looking at the names realized that "80% of the signitures were simply Home Depot signitures that had no idea of the situation"

It's amazing that he managed to go through 1,000 "Home Depot" signatures that quickly. Wonder how the Home Depot feels about that, too.

xsmhx

rcny46
November 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
" Home Depot signatures." Nice attitude as well as comment.I'd just like to add my sincere condolences to the list regarding this sad situation.I know how I would feel if the school I support as a fan were to drop the sport,so I can understand how you feel.Hope you stick around and chime in now and then since you are also a follower OF 1-AA football.I'm sure you'd always be welcome.

slycat
November 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Too bad. Sounds like Iona already had their mind made up and nothing would change it.

Henny
November 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Besides a human death, this is the worst of the worst news on this site. I can't even elaborate other that to say that a college without the greatest team sport on earth makes no sense to me. Let alone dropping the sport.

Sorry Gaels

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone on this site for all the support we were given. Unfortunetly, it fell on deaf ears. Iona will no longer sponser football. This is one of the worst days in my entire life and I just want to say good luck to the remaining FCS programs. My time here is done.

Sorry to hear the news. Good luck finding a new school to play at if that is what you are looking to do.

dgreco
November 20th, 2008, 06:01 PM
i think we knew it was coming, but that sucks that it has now come.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Terribly, terribly sorry to hear this.

"Home Depot signatures". What a pompous man that priest is!

mainejeff
November 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear.......:(

UAalum72
November 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Iona press relase:
http://www.iona.edu/news/releases/0809/1120football.cfm

aceinthehole
November 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Can't say that I didn't see this coming. It is a sad day for FCS. Most importantly, I hope those dedicated Iona players and coaches find a home at another university where they are appreciated.

I know many will disagree with me, but I think in some ways this is not a worse case outcome for the players/coaches. They deserve better treatment than what they were given by Iona administrators. The final plea fell on deaf ears and the Iona leaders should be ashamed. I hope the NCAA granst a waiver so all the players can find a home next year and not have to sit out!

But on this sad note, what FCS teams need to find a replacement for Iona on their 2009 schedule? Liberty?

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
:( :( :(

xprayx xsmhx xbawlingx RIP Iona...

xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

horrible decision by the administration. I wouldn't be surprise if school spirit went down as well...football is the ultimate aphrodisiac for the student body.

hebmskebm
November 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
But on this sad note, what FCS teams need to find a replacement for Iona on their 2009 schedule? Liberty?

According to a poster on the other thread:

ODU, Columbia, Liberty, North Dakota, a few NEC teams (probably Wagner, Saced Heart)

gokats85
November 20th, 2008, 06:53 PM
That's absolutely terrible. I wish all of you at Iona the very best.

dgreco
November 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
According to a poster on the other thread:

ODU, Columbia, Liberty, North Dakota, a few NEC teams (probably Wagner, Saced Heart)

Bryant vs. North Dakota next year? They have played 4 or 5 different times in so far this year.

dgreco
November 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Can't say that I didn't see this coming. It is a sad day for FCS. Most importantly, I hope those dedicated Iona players and coaches find a home at another university where they are appreciated.

I know many will disagree with me, but I think in some ways this is not a worse case outcome for the players/coaches. They deserve better treatment than what they were given by Iona administrators. The final plea fell on deaf ears and the Iona leaders should be ashamed. I hope the NCAA granst a waiver so all the players can find a home next year and not have to sit out!

I agree a fresh start for a lot of them might be good. It could of been worse and ended like La Salle or they could of run the program into the ground.

JD51
November 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Truly sorry to hear it. I wish all the best for the players and coaches at Iona.

CRAZY_DANE
November 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
All of NEC football is probably next.

Hey. Don't jinx us. College football is near and dear to me and it starts with my alma mater.

Cobblestone
November 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Your President is a total pussy who needs to pull the stick out of his @$$.

My condolences to your players, coaches and supporters. I hope they can all find other FCS programs to transfer to. Tell you defense guys that we at URI could certainly use their help; especially any secondary guys.

Best wishes to you as well.

bobbythekidd
November 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w287/bobbythekidd/IONA.jpg?t=1227230540

catamount man
November 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
This sucks. Here's hoping a new administration will nut up someday and bring football back.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Monarch History
November 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear that news. I was looking forward to our game next year in Old Dominion's first year.:(

Most importantly, I hope those dedicated Iona players and coaches find a home at another university where they are appreciated.

My Monarchs are looking for a few good men and would welcome these guys with open arms.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
"The decision was made within the best interests of Iona College as a whole and its athletic department,” said Iona College President Br. James A. Liguori, CFC."

An Open Letter To The Football Players Of Iona:

Transfer.

Transfer now, and take the second semester tuition check with you to Marist, to Pace, to Wagner, wherever...but in a time of economic hardship, any school that would give up on you so effortlessly is not worthy of your dollars.

The 100 football players of Iona represent as much as $1.2 million in tuition per semester. Put the money where someone will appreciate it and let Brother James explain away why the college is going into the red next spring.

Seawolf97
November 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM

You are always welcome on this board. This is sad for the players, coaches and the fans.

clenz
November 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Sad day for college football.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM

You are always welcome here.

Jiggs
November 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Been there, done that. Very sad indeed. It may take a while for the administration to realize what they have done. When they finally wake up and look in the mirror, they won't like what they see.

BEAR
November 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
So sad. With all the bad things that happen at universities these days, having a sport unite the players, fans and local community is something that is so badly needed...anywhere. :(

YaleFootballFan
November 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Very sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully someday we'll see football back at Iona.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Very sorry to hear this.

ASU
November 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM
There will Always be an Iona Football team in all our hearts......gone but never forgotten.

Husky Alum
November 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
The kicker from my HS team played at Iona back in the 1990s, I'm sure he's torn apart by this.

He had a real bad learning disability, and despite his ability to split the uprights consistently from 48 yards in, no one would give him a chance out of high school - except for Iona.

I'm sure Youngstown is calling whomever Iona was supposed to play this fall when the Pens were scheduled to come to Boston.

daywoo7
November 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I just wanted to send out my thanks from myself and the whole team for everyones support. Definitely the worst day of my life after we put in eveything for 4 years without any support from administration and a joke for facilities they just ripped our hearts out. Liguori may be a priest but he is just a man with a collar in my book who will burn in hell for what he did to us. He stood there with a smirk on his face as he ruined our lives, refused to answer any questions honestly, and showed we were nothing but numbers to him. He didnt' bat an eye as 110 grown men openly wept in fromt of him. A sad day for the whole Iona College family and DIVISION 1-AA football. And lastly I want to send out my love for all my brothers on the team. Thanks again everybody.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
My condolences to the Iona fan community.

Zoo
November 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the situation coming to a close like this.

Pauly LB
November 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I just wanted to send out my thanks from myself and the whole team for everyones support. Definitely the worst day of my life after we put in eveything for 4 years without any support from administration and a joke for facilities they just ripped our hearts out. Liguori may be a priest but he is just a man with a collar in my book who will burn in hell for what he did to us. He stood there with a smirk on his face as he ruined our lives, refused to answer any questions honestly, and showed we were nothing but numbers to him. He didnt' bat an eye as 110 grown men openly wept in fromt of him. A sad day for the whole Iona College family and DIVISION 1-AA football. And lastly I want to send out my love for all my brothers on the team. Thanks again everybody.

I cannot imagine the sadness that must have been in the room when the players and the staff heard that Iona Football was discontinued. Best wishes and prayers for all involved. Hopefully most of the players and coaches land on their feet in other programs. Unfortunately at the end of the day we are all just a number.

PS -- One of my son's friends in high school was recruited to kick at Iona a couple of years back. He came back after less than a year -- the facilities were bad and it was very clear that the administration did not have a commitment to their football program.

Footballer31
November 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Sorry to hear the news.

This team never had a chance. Between the forces they could control, and things the college had no control over, there really wasn't much hope.

Credit the college with one thing, and one thing only. They decided fast so that kids could move on and the schools they were supposed to play in 2009 have time to maybe get another game.

This is the story in the local Westchester rag.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008811210370

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear the news.

This team never had a chance. Between the forces they could control, and things the college had no control over, there really wasn't much hope.

Credit the college with one thing, and one thing only. They decided fast so that kids could move on and the schools they were supposed to play in 2009 have time to maybe get another game.

This is the story in the local Westchester rag.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008811210370

Some good news.

Coach Fred Mariani will begin individual player interviews today to assess their needs. He hopes to see everyone in three days. He said his phone is already ringing off the hook with other coaches wanting him to send kids their way.

"We're not going to let this destroy our lives," Mariani said. "I'm not going to let it destroy my career, nor will I let it destroy my players' careers."

Mariani spent the last 11 years of a 35-year coaching career at Iona, where he saw his daughter through school and won a conference championship. He plans to seek coaching work elsewhere once the players have determined their futures.

Great quote by a frustrated partent!

"The bottom line is that the decision today stuck a dagger in Iona," said Ed Day of New City, father of tight end Michael Day. "Not Iona the football team, Iona. Because nobody will ever believe Iona at its word ever again."

89Hen
November 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hate to see any school drop football and feel very bad for the players. :(

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Really? A reason for disbanding the football program is lack of quality opponents in the FCS? What the hell Iona administrators?

WUTNDITWAA
November 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
"The decision was made within the best interests of Iona College as a whole and its athletic department,” said Iona College President Br. James A. Liguori, CFC."

An Open Letter To The Football Players Of Iona:

Transfer.

Transfer now, and take the second semester tuition check with you to Marist, to Pace, to Wagner, wherever...but in a time of economic hardship, any school that would give up on you so effortlessly is not worthy of your dollars.

The 100 football players of Iona represent as much as $1.2 million in tuition per semester. Put the money where someone will appreciate it and let Brother James explain away why the college is going into the red next spring.

This needs to be repeated. RIP Iona football. xsmhx

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Really? A reason for disbanding the football program is lack of quality opponents in the FCS? What the hell Iona administrators?

They mean opponents they feel they can compete with at their funding level.

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
They mean opponents they feel they can compete with at their funding level.

Ahh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. It's still not a good enough reason to get rid of football. There is never a reason good enough to disband football. Ever.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Ahh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. It's still not a good enough reason to get rid of football. There is never a reason good enough to disband football. Ever.

Excatly--they could have joined the PFL and competed reasonably well. Like others have said their mind was already made up xsmhx

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Terrible news and a terrible decision.

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Sad news. Really a bad decision IMO.

The thing that really irks me is that the President said in the article that this season was an experimental season and the Administration knew that coming in. The freshman (60 of them) were not told that during their recruiting. That is downright fraudulent. And quite sad. Induce a kid to pay his own way to play football and not even have the decency to tell him the program is in an experimental stage. I know they wouldn't have gotten a lot of recruits, but it would have been the right thing to do.

Cobblestone
November 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
The kicker from my HS team played at Iona back in the 1990s, I'm sure he's torn apart by this.

He had a real bad learning disability, and despite his ability to split the uprights consistently from 48 yards in, no one would give him a chance out of high school - except for Iona.

I'm sure Youngstown is calling whomever Iona was supposed to play this fall when the Pens were scheduled to come to Boston.

xeekx I hope URI is calling this kid!

Sturgisjeff
November 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
If your sport is discontinued or not
sponsored at your four-year school …
If your school dropped your sport from its
program or never sponsored it while you were a
student, you may be able to use this exception to
transfer to a Division I or II school.
You may only use this exception after the date
that the school publicly announced that it would
discontinue the sport. For example, if your school
announces during the fall semester that it will
discontinue baseball at the end of the academic
year, you can use this exception only if you
transfer after the announcement. You may not
use it if you transfer before then.
If you have never been recruited …

National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
Official site of the NCAA. Find member school information, current news, eligibility and ... Rules and Bylaws. Rules Compliance. Committees. Eligibility and ...
www.ncaa.org

Sturgisjeff
November 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
Usually if a college or university drops a sport the players if they meet the requirements can transfer to a new college or univ without having to sit out a year. I know this happened when Yankton College closed and the players got to transfer and play right away.

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Usually if a college or university drops a sport the players if they meet the requirements can transfer to a new college or univ without having to sit out a year. I know this happened when Yankton College closed and the players got to transfer and play right away.

It also happened with the other MAAC teams that dropped. Some kids actually ended up transferring up to FBS schools. Temple got a few I think.

JD51
November 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM
I hope some of those players end up at Marist (the last of the former MAAC football schools). The two schools have history in the MAAC together and God knows Marist could use the help.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM

I hope not. Just because you just lost your team doesn't mean you cannot still talk football with others.

rmutv
November 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM
All of NEC football is probably next.

The ignorance and poor attitude shown on this website towards lower level FCS teams is worse than the ignorance and poor attitude shown by FBS/I-A teams, fans, and media members towards the likes of Appalachian State and the "big dogs" of FCS/I-AA.

Ridiculous.

rmutv
November 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
I hope some of those players end up at Marist (the last of the former MAAC football schools). The two schools have history in the MAAC together and God knows Marist could use the help.

Duquesne is still around, playing in the NEC.

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
Thats a poor attitude towards a poor Conf. The NEC is nothing but a D2 In disguise.As a matter of fact they would not be able to compete with the likes of A PSAC Conf.

Smack
<-----

Why don't you focus on supporting your own team, as opposed to trying to bring down others? Your squad needs some support.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Thats a poor attitude towards a poor Conf. The NEC is nothing but a D2 In disguise.As a matter of fact they would not be able to compete with the likes of A PSAC Conf.

The PSAC is a solid D-II conference but I disagree. The top of the NEC is just as good as the PSAC (excepty maybe Cal and Bloom) and the bottom of the NEC is better then the bottom of the PSAC. The NEC is also improving quickly.

danefan
November 21st, 2008, 02:37 PM
The PSAC is a solid D-II conference but I disagree. The top of the NEC is just as good as the PSAC (excepty maybe Cal and Bloom) and the bottom of the NEC is better then the bottom of the PSAC. The NEC is also improving quickly.

How would you compare the PL to the PSAC?

Retro
November 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
What people have to realize is that there are many schools just barely hanging on to their football programs (the most expensive sport to maintain) and just like teams in the FBS that belong in the FCS, there are FCS teams that would fit better in Div II or without expensive sports if they don't have the budget for them year after year..:(

There are many successful colleges out there without football or who dropped football, but have had great success in other sports and don't need football, just to have football, to drain their budget for unrealistic dreams. Cal-State fullerton, Wichita state, Gonzaga and others do quite well on the national scene in other areas..:)

If a school hasn't had much success in football and there is no sign of it getting better, be it financially, W/L's or publicity wise, and money issues abound then it may be time to take another course.. Even some schools with a decent tradition or success have to re-evaluate their situation.. xrulesx

It's always about Academics first, then athletics.

Model Citizen
November 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Does anyone absolutely, positively know whether Iona was non-scholarship this season?

I know they were ns in the MAAC, but they had a transfer or two this year whom I suspect was lured with a little extra aid. NEC lite.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
How would you compare the PL to the PSAC?

There is very little comparison as it has been over a decade since we have played each other. I would say overall it is much the same as the NEC. Top to bottom the PL is quite a bit better then the PSAC, just as the NEC is. The bottom of the PSAC is terrible, we wont even count them in this discussion.

The top of the PSAC and the PL is pretty comparable in most years. The top few teams in the PSAC (Bloom, West Chester, Cal, IUP, ESU, Edinboro) would compete somewhat in the Patriot and beat the Georgetowns and Bucknell's of the world. I think all of these teams however, with the exception of CAL this year, would have a great deal of difficulty beating the top few teams in the PL. (Lafayette, Holy Cross, Colgate.)

I would say that 90% of the time the PL champ beats the PSAC champ. Look at it this was my friend played for Bloom in 200 when they made it too the D-II Championship game. That 2000 Bloom team would have most certainly beat by 2-9 2000 Lafayette Leopards, but I dont think they would have beaten a very good Lehigh team that year.

So overall the PL is deeper and better. The best PSAC teams would compete competently in the PL, but in almost every year I think our best teams beat their best teams.

I havent seen Albany play this year but Albany would also most likley beat the best in the PSAC as well.

GaelsFootball
November 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Does anyone absolutely, positively know whether Iona was non-scholarship this season?

I know they were ns in the MAAC, but they had a transfer or two this year whom I suspect were lured with a little extra aid. NEC lite.

We were 100 percent non scholarship football. There was absolutly ZERO financial aid given to any football player. and just to keep people updated, Coach has already recieved calls from about 50 different colleges ranging from all levels of football interested in possible recruits.

Footballer31
November 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Anyone notice how strikingly similar the Iona press release announcing the cancellation of football was to the ones LaSalle and St. Peters put out.

Iona can't waste money they don't spend. It has been spit and rubber bands there from day one of football.

Iona didn't even paint the lines at Mazzella Field this year. They were very worn, nothing close to white. Who doesn't break out the white spray paint every August?

Maybe Iona and the other 7 defunct members of the MAAC could get back together and set up a new league where they only play each other. You would only play 7 games, but you could limit budgets to $50,000 and the teams could split the ref costs at half time, maybe the players pass the hat around.

They could be really creative and play shirts and skins if they really wanted to save more money. Although playing shirtless at Canisius in October could get a little cold.

proasu89
November 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

leatherneck177
November 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Sad day in college football.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM
We were 100 percent non scholarship football. There was absolutly ZERO financial aid given to any football player. and just to keep people updated, Coach has already recieved calls from about 50 different colleges ranging from all levels of football interested in possible recruits.

Great to hear xthumbsupx

If most of the guys want to stay in the region, there are some great places to consider in the NEC, PL, to a lesser extent in the CAA. Division II options in the PSAC and NE-10, and of course D-III options as well.

Keep us updated on the transfers, its the only good news from this situation. We are all rooting for the players/coaches!

Model Citizen
November 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, and good luck.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM

There are three former MAAC schools: Georgetown, Duquesne, and Marist.

Georgetown is the only original MAAC school left, in no small part because Bob Benson saw Richard Ensor's low-cost vessel taking on water long ago while the Ionas and St. Peter's looked the other way. Hoya fans may rightly grumble about its poor performance in the PL, but where would it be playing today without it?

Also, check the headline on Deadspin today: "The MAAC: Where College Football Programs Go To Die"

http://deadspin.com/5095782/the-maac-where-college-football-programs-go-to-die

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM

Georgetown is the only original MAAC school left, in no small part because Bob Benson saw Richard Ensor's low-cost vessel taking on water long ago while the Ionas and St. Peter's looked the other way. Hoya fans may rightly grumble about its poor performance in the PL, but where would it be playing today without it?

Also, check the headline on Deadspin today: "The MAAC: Where College Football Programs Go To Die"

What is Benson up to now?

hebmskebm
November 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
bdfan, The NEC is going through the slow and sometimes painful process of becoming a scholarship conference. They are moving a a slow pace (too slow for some), but they're getting there. Compare the quality of the players and the scheduling now to that at the beginning of the decade, when they were on the same level as the late MAAC. No comparison.

Most of these schools don't have the state legislatures of the public schools or big time donor alumni who are gung ho for football that some of the southern private schools have. The money is beginning to trickle out there and make an impact; give it a chance.

RIP Iona; hope your players and coaches land on their feet.

JD51
November 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM

True. I did not mean to leave out G'town and Duquesne. I meant to say the last school currently in the MAAC in other sports to still host football. Frankly I'm surprised (and glad) Marist continued to support football with the demise of the MAAC. I hope some Iona players make Marist and the PFL their new home.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
What is Benson up to now?

Assistant coach at Colorado School of Mines (D-II).

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Assistant coach at Colorado School of Mines (D-II).

Ouch. We were told he was a finalist for the Lafayette job when it was open in 1999, it went to Frank obviously but he was a hot young coach at the time. He seems like a smart guy, hopefully he can get a head job again.

downbythebeach
November 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
R.I.P.
IONA
Terrible

UNHFan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Was IONA D 2 in the past? If so why couldnt they go back to D2? You can cut the football budget by more then half moving to D2

IaaScribe
November 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Can't be DII in football and be DI in everything else. No way Iona will give up its DI hoops, especially with several NCAA tournament banners hanging in the gym.

bison137
November 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Was IONA D 2 in the past? If so why couldnt they go back to D2? You can cut the football budget by more then half moving to D2

Iona - and the whole MAAC - was D3. The problem was created by the NCAA rocket scientists who passed a law that teams must be D1 in all sports or none. Thus, Siena, St. John's, LaSalle, Iona, St. Peter's, Fairfield, Canisius, etc all saw football ultimately be disbanded.

hebmskebm
November 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Iona - and the whole MAAC - was D3. The problem was created by the NCAA rocket scientists who passed a law that teams must be D1 in all sports or none. Thus, Siena, St. John's, LaSalle, Iona, St. Peter's, Fairfield, Canisius, etc all saw football ultimately be disbanded.

And that law isn't even uniformly enforced. Some D2/D3 schools are allowed to have one D1 team, as long as its not football or men's basketball (revenue sports).

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM

Fairfield did not have a D-III team.

The "NCAA rocket scientists" were not responsible, it was the D-III schools who were all too willing to get these schools out of their division. But that's no excuse for the poor performance of these universitites in supporting football. Ask Marist--it can be done.

UAalum72
November 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
And that law isn't even uniformly enforced. Some D2/D3 schools are allowed to have one D1 team, as long as its not football or men's basketball (revenue sports).
The difference is they're playing one sport UP a division, not down. And the D-IIIs can't do it any longer either except for those grandfathered in for hockey and lacrosse.

Of course the MAAC just kicked D-II LeMoyne's D-I baseball team out of their league after LeMoyne won it last year.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
The difference is they're playing one sport UP a division, not down. And the D-IIIs can't do it any longer either except for those grandfathered in for hockey and lacrosse.

Of course the MAAC just kicked D-II LeMoyne's D-I baseball team out of their league after LeMoyne won it last year.

UA72,

Correct me if I'm worg, but I thought any D-II and D-III teams can play 1 sport (not FB or hoops) for each gender, but now they can't offer schollys. I tough the "grandfathering" was for existing programs could keep schollys, but sub-DI teams can still "play up" in one sport.

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
UA72,

Correct me if I'm worg, but I thought any D-II and D-III teams can play 1 sport (not FB or hoops) for each gender, but now they can't offer schollys. I tough the "grandfathering" was for existing programs could keep schollys, but sub-DI teams can still "play up" in one sport.

I understand the recent change eliminated any play-ups unless a team was grandfathered already. That was at issue when Hobart decided to go back to D-III in lacrosse, then reconsidered.

The play-up is only for certain sports anyway. That's why you aren't seeing any play-ups in basketball, for example.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
It's amazing that he managed to go through 1,000 "Home Depot" signatures that quickly. Wonder how the Home Depot feels about that, too.

xsmhx

Too bad. Hey, we're always looking for support. So don a 'basic brown' sweatshirt and transfer! ;)

Jackman
November 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
UA72,

I'm pretty sure you can only play up one division in one sport per gender, excluding football and men's basketball. So D2 can play D1, but D3 can only move up to D2. If there are still D3s with a D1 sport, I guess those are grandfathered. I've never read anything about special scholarship restrictions. D2 has scholarships, so it doesn't make sense that they couldn't have them in D1.

To play D1 football or D1 men's basketball, they changed the rule so that you must be a full D1 member in all sports. That's where all the schools that wanted the golden goose of D1 men's basketball but not the expense of D1 football got caught and had to make a difficult decision.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
I understand the recent change eliminated any play-ups unless a team was grandfathered already. That was at issue when Hobart decided to go back to D-III in lacrosse, then reconsidered.

The play-up is only for certain sports anyway. That's why you aren't seeing any play-ups in basketball, for example.

AFIK, the "play up" rule was allowed for 1 men's and 1 women's team in any sport EXCEPT football and basketball

At one time, I think NCAA actually encouraged schools to "play up" in certain "emerging sports" such as W Ice Hockey, etc.

Also, certain sports such as Gymnastics and M Ice Hockey do not have all 3 Divisions, so schools can compete at a different level..

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
The grandfather rule realtes to schollys. A D-III could move its hockey team to play in D-I, but they would be bound to the D-III scholly rules.

In 1982, the NCAA formalized the procedure, allowing a school classified in a lower division, i.e. Division II or Division III, the opportunity to waive the lower division regulations and operate under Division I rules, including the offering of athletic scholarships in one men’s and one women’s sport, so long as that sport is neither football nor basketball. Now the Division III Management Council is attempting to pass legislation that will severely impact those Division III schools that play Division I in selected sports.

At issue is a piece of a broader reform ... the elimination of the awarding of athletic scholarships in sports classified in another division, i.e. a Division III school playing Division I in one sport.

Essentially, it repeals the 1982 waiver amendment that the NCAA provided to grandfather certain institutions the ability to “play up” in one sport. These schools would no longer be able to offer the athletic scholarships that their Division I brethren can; this would make it exceedingly difficult to continue to compete against those same schools in athletics.

http://poly.rpi.edu/article_view.php3?view=2335&part=1

maristdb89
November 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
RIP Iona. This is a horrible decision. I hope some of the players will consider Marist.

JD51
November 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
RIP Iona. This is a horrible decision. I hope some of the players will consider Marist.

Amen to that, Brother!

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
This is a shame for them to shut down a program. Was looking forward to playing you guys next year.

maristdb89
November 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Amen to that, Brother!

We could use some help on O/D lines; With some good pickups we should be very competitive in PFL right from the start

JD51
November 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
We could use some help on O/D lines; With some good pickups we should be very competitive in PFL right from the start

Agreed. beating Davidson was one thing, but we'll need that help to be competitive with the likes of a Dayton, San Diego or JU.

Again, really sad to see Iona go out this way.

Seahawks Fan
November 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear this. Wagner loses another old rival. Good luck with the players looking to transfer. Check out Grymes Hill.

Seawolf97
November 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think if the under classman want to continue to play at the D1 level there are plenty of local teams they could transfer to. Marist, Wagner, CCSU to name a few.