PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Eliminates PV From Playoffs

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Prairie View A&M has to wait til Sunday, Nov. 30 to figure out if they are going to the SWAC championship game. Because of this late coin flip, Prairie View is eliminated from consideration for a playoff bid...

I do not think PV had a chance, but the SWAC absolutely killed the opportunity. PV's season is now over with the only school having any say in their season being Grambling... xnonono2x

The two schools with the same coin designation would then follow the steps for the two-team tie breaker (with the first step being head-to-head competition) to determine the Western Division representative for the 2008 SWAC Championship Game on Saturday, Dec. 13 in Birmingham.

If the coin flip is necessary to break the tie between the three teams, it would occur Sunday, Nov. 30 in New Orleans at a location to be announced.

http://swac.org/ssp/news?news_id=533

And yes, sure the SWAC decided to forego the playoffs years ago -- but at least give a team a chance to go to the playoffs if such a chance exists. Sorry, Henry Frazier III, Donald Babers, Panther88 and company.

813Jag
November 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Prairie View A&M has to wait til Sunday, Nov. 30 to figure out if they are going to the SWAC championship game. Because of this late coin flip, Prairie View is eliminated from consideration for a playoff bid...

I do not think PV had a chance, but the SWAC absolutely killed the opportunity. PV's season is now over with the only school having any say in their season being Grambling... xnonono2x

http://swac.org/ssp/news?news_id=533

And yes, sure the SWAC decided to forego the playoffs years ago -- but at least give a team a chance to go to the playoffs if such a chance exists. Sorry, Henry Frazier III, Donald Babers, Panther88 and company.
You say that like Grambling's at fault. It's a tough break but Grambling is in first by themselves. I think it's the right move. This is a prime example of taking care of business on your own. That goes for Southern as well.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Nothing wrong here until they stop the mandate to play in the SWAC champ game.

Grambling State (8-2, 5-0) can win the division outright with:

Victories over Texas Southern and Southern, giving the Tigers the best division record, OR

A loss to Texas Southern and a win over Southern, which would give the Tigers the head-to-head tie breaker over both Prairie View A&M and Southern.

A win over Texas Southern and a loss to Southern would force a three-team coin flip.

Grambling State is eliminated from division title contention with losses to both Texas Southern and Southern.

Prairie View A&M (9-1, 6-1) can win the division outright with:

Grambling State losing its final two games to Texas Southern and Southern, which would give the Panthers the head-to-head tiebreaker over Southern.

A Grambling State win over Texas Southern and a loss to Southern would force a three-team coin flip.

The Panthers are eliminated from division title contention if Grambling State wins its final two games over Texas Southern and Southern.

By virtue of being in conference title contention, the Panthers are not eligible for the FCS playoffs.

Southern (6-4, 5-1):

Can only win the division through a three-team coin flip.

The Jaguars must have Grambling State defeat Texas Southern AND Southern must defeat Grambling State to force the proposed three-team coin flip.

Southern is eliminated from division title contention with a loss to Grambling State.

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Maybe this has been answered before, but can Prairie View decline participation in the SWAC championship game anyway either now or after the playoff committee considers them? If so, would they be able to say "we will make ourselves available for the playoffs if the opportunity presents itself" to the selection committee.. What exactly is the protocol here?

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Maybe this has been answered before, but can Prairie View decline participation in the SWAC championship game anyway either now or after the playoff committee considers them? If so, would they be able to say "we will make ourselves available for the playoffs if the opportunity presents itself" to the selection committee.. What exactly is the protocol here?No. Agreeing to the SWAC rules is part of membership, like the Ivy League. The PFL and NEC teams can opt out of the Gridiron Classic if they get a playoff bid.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I wonder if they'd have coin flipped early if PV had a prayer of making the playoffs.

Panther88
November 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Maybe this has been answered before, but can Prairie View decline participation in the SWAC championship game anyway either now or after the playoff committee considers them? If so, would they be able to say "we will make ourselves available for the playoffs if the opportunity presents itself" to the selection committee.. What exactly is the protocol here?

Sux huh? Trust me, we wanted McN as bad as would've wanted us to come to your place?

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
No. Agreeing to the SWAC rules is part of membership, like the Ivy League. The PFL and NEC teams can opt out of the Gridiron Classic if they get a playoff bid.

So, your saying the SWAC has a rule that you can't opt out of the championship game if you receive a playoff bid?

Just curious has to the swac rules on this.. I don't feel like looking it up.:D

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I wonder if they'd have coin flipped early if PV had a prayer of making the playoffs.There isn't a scenario of a coin flip until after the Bayou. So the coin flip now wouldn't help.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
So, your saying the SWAC has a rule that you can't opt out of the championship game if you receive a playoff bid?
Just curious has to the swac rules on this.. I don't feel like looking it up.:DYes, I asked the SWAC commish (and SID) point blank. If you qualify for the champ game, you must play it.

813Jag
November 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Sux huh? Trust me, we wanted McN as bad as would've wanted us to come to your place?
Best idea is to do away with the championship game. But you gotta play the cards that are dealt. There have been a couple of teams in the 9 year history of the SCG that would have had a shot at the playoffs, but there's not much you can do. In most peoples eyes an at-large to a non-league champ is a no go. I would love for my team to play in the playoffs, but the choice was made. Best thing for PV is to make B-ham, turn out in large numbers and win.

813Jag
November 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I wonder if they'd have coin flipped early if PV had a prayer of making the playoffs.
Right now the tie is for second place. A coin flip wouldn't be neccessary unless Southern beats Grambling. Forcing a 3-way tie.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Selection Sunday after the Bayou, announce the teams for the "SWAC Classic" of the best teams not in the playoffs. Drop the champ game.

tingly
November 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM
They flip coins in pro baseball weeks in advance. It's no big thing.

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
They flip coins in pro baseball weeks in advance. It's no big thing.Read the scenarios. The outcome of the Bayou Classic either makes the flip relevant or not. PVAMU has to wait until that game is decided until they are possibly playoff eligible. AFAIK, the Bayou Classic is played after Selection Sunday.

tingly
November 20th, 2008, 12:29 AM
yeah, I understood the first 3 times. :)

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM
yeah, I understood the first 3 times. :)Sorry to be repetitive but tens of thousands read this board every day and there should be no doubt that PVAMU is obligated to the SWAC champ game this year until the Bayou Classic is over, which is after Selection Sunday.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Not at all. The SWAC does not care about the playoffs or the possibility of their teams making it if they can not make the SWAC Championship Game. This coming from several members of the media who have gotten that rub.

And the individual that brought up the coin flips happen early across many sports -- you got that right. The SWAC walks to their own drum, for better or not.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Right now the tie is for second place. A coin flip wouldn't be neccessary unless Southern beats Grambling. Forcing a 3-way tie.
This is the most important point. There's still two SWAC games to be played. Gram's in the driver's seat, the other passengers lost their opportunity to control the wheel. PV and Southern blew their chance.

The SWAC can't have their cake and eat it too. When the decision was made to forgo the playoffs altogether, folks with playoff aspirations should have fought the decision. Unless Southern and Grambling truly run the league. xrolleyesx

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I said this in the other thread, and I think that it shows a sobering fact:

Its almost like Prairie View is being held hostage by their own conference. I guess this means now that to be eligible for the playoffs, a SWAC team needs to finish second in their division so as not to be included in the SCG, but also not be involved in any tie-breaker scenarios involving either Grambling and/or Southern...AND on top of that have an OOC strong enough to make up for playing within their conference.

So you would need to have an undefeated winner of your division who has played a brutal and I mean BRUTAL schedule, have them to be your ONLY loss (10-1), have your schedule be a Top 20 in the country, i.e. beat an "App State" or a few FBS squads. And have the rest of your fellow conference mates play tough schedules as well and win those games. Not to mention not being involved in any tie-breaker scenarios involving the Bayou Classic whatsoever.

Too many hurdles, too many rings to jump through in my eyes. I don't think that we'll ever see another SWAC team participate in the playoffs. xsmhx

I also forgot to include Alabama A&M in there as well. (Turkey Day Classic with Tuskegee). The only way for a SWAC team to qualify for the FCS playoffs is to be the second best team in their division, and that does not bode well for their playoff chances.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I said this in the other thread, and I think that it shows a sobering fact:

I also forgot to include Alabama A&M in there as well. (Turkey Day Classic with Tuskegee). The only way for a SWAC team to qualify for the FCS playoffs is to be the second best team in their division, and that does not bode well for their playoff chances.
I disagree, everybody knew the rules. I guess it wasn't a big deal back then. xconfusedx If PV is being held hostagethen so is Jackson St, Alabama A&M and UAPB (teams besides Grambling, Southern, and Alabama State who made the Championship Game).
I swear people make this issue seem like the SWAC Championship game was started in the middle of the season. People should have known this could happen since '99.
Alabama State plays in the Turkey Day Classic.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I disagree, everybody knew the rules. I guess it wasn't a big deal back then. xconfusedx If PV is being held hostagethen so is Jackson St, Alabama A&M and UAPB (teams besides Grambling, Southern, and Alabama State who made the Championship Game).
I swear people make this issue seem like the SWAC Championship game was started in the middle of the season. People should have known this could happen since '99.
Alabama State plays in the Turkey Day Classic.

Then the SWAC should come out and outright say that "we will not participate in the FCS playoff system in any shape or fashion." Throwing out mixed messages, such as "well...we are open to an at-large berth" sends the wrong signal to their members. It just sucks for PV that if they do not win the coin toss, that their season is basically over as of right now. No SCG, no playoffs...thanks for playing. xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If I'm part of the PV A&M athletic department, I'd be pi$$ed to high heaven right now.

At the beginning of the year, PV A&M had a path to two different postseason opportunities - the SCG and the playoffs. If PV A&M finishes atop SWAC West, they play in the SCG, that's great. But if they finish 9-1, 9-2 or 10-1, they had reason to believe that maybe they would have a shot at the playoffs.

Right now - this moment - they sit in second place. After the "Bayou Classic", they may still be sitting in second place. But their own league has raised a big middle finger to the playoffs.

Has another league ever started the year saying that certain teams were eligible for the playoffs, then at the last second denied a playoff-eligible team access to the playoffs in this way?

This is UNPRECEDENTED. This should be called as such. And, IMO, it's incredibly unfair.

I don't know if PV A&M would have been selected. But they deserve to at least have the chance to be selected. A coin flip on Friday could have at least given them a chance.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Then the SWAC should come out and outright say that "we will not participate in the FCS playoff system in any shape or fashion." Throwing out mixed messages, such as "well...we are open to an at-large berth" sends the wrong signal to their members. It just sucks for PV that if they do not win the coin toss, that their season is basically over as of right now. No SCG, no playoffs...thanks for playing. xsmhx
The SWAC never did that. When the Championship game was announced it was understood. We're done with the playoffs. Nobody had an uproar when Southern and UAPB was tied heading into the end of the season. PV had a chance if the had beat Grambling, why are people missing that point. Southern had a chance if they had beat PV. Life ain't always fair. This has been in place since '99. Jackson State didn't raise a stink that year and they had been in the playoff the previous couple of seasons. Alabama A&M took their invite with no issue.

So it's OK for Southern and Grambling to have a coin flip since we don't have an outside chance at the playoffs?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Right on the money.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The SWAC never did that. When the Championship game was announced it was understood. We're done with the playoffs. Nobody had an uproar when Southern and UAPB was tied heading into the end of the season. PV had a chance if the had beat Grambling, why are people missing that point. Southern had a chance if they had beat PV. Life ain't always fair. This has been in place since '99. Jackson State didn't raise a stink that year and they had been in the playoff the previous couple of seasons. Alabama A&M took their invite with no issue.

So it's OK for Southern and Grambling to have a coin flip since we don't have an outside chance at the playoffs?

Because if that were to occur, PV would be automatically in the SCG, by finishing 1st in the SWAC West. By losing to Grambling, the door was open to the playoffs due to the chance of PV finishing second (where they are now), and not being involved in the SCG. Because they've played well enough to stay in the conversation by finishing the year with one loss. The SWAC has never made the statement that the playoffs were an impossibility, just for Grambling, Southern, and Alabama A&M due to their classics being played on the Thanksgiving weekend when the playoffs start. If they came out as said such, "NO SWAC TEAM WILL EVER BE IN THE PLAYOFFS", then it would clear up this confusion from the beginning and we wouldn't be talking about the possibility of PV being in the playoffs. Right now we have this question out there and all of the signs and actions by the SWAC higher-ups point to the fact that the SWAC title game is the big fish for them.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Right now we have this question out there and all of the signs and actions by the SWAC higher-ups point to the fact that the SWAC title game is the big fish for them.

That's perfectly OK that the SCG is the big fish for the SWAC leadership, GSU, SU, and PV A&M. But if there's a path to the playoffs for one of their second-placed teams - no matter how remote - you have to put something in place to make that happen.

Basically, the SWAC is inventing a rule to prevent one of their (potentially) second-placed teams an opportunity for postseason play.

It's the first time I've ever heard of a league purposely denying their membership potential post-season opportunties that they were promised in September.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I guess PVU would just have to be happy with a chance to win their first SWAC title in a long time. xrolleyesx

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I guess PVU would just have to be happy with a chance to win their first SWAC title in a long time. xrolleyesx

Nothing wrong with that, its just a shame that after having such a successful season, it comes down to a coin-flip. And if Grambling wins then the point is moot.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Not if they lose the coin toss on Monday.

Now, if they lost a coin toss on Friday, they would still be a second-placed team have a shot at their second choice: the FCS playoffs.

This has nothing to do with the SCG - undoubtedly the first choice of all the players on PV A&M - and everything to do with playoff access. The truth is a solution existed that could have clarified things on Friday.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The SWAC has never made the statement that the playoffs were an impossibility, just for Grambling, Southern, and Alabama A&M due to their classics being played on the Thanksgiving weekend when the playoffs start.

Make that five teams...

http://www.dallaslonestarclassic.com/images/vs.jpg

A new Thanksgiving tradition is in the making as the 1st Annual Dallas Lone Star Football Classic Weekend kicks off November 28-29, 2008 in Dallas, TX. Forces will collide as the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Golden Lions take on the Texas Southern University Tigers at the Cotton Bowl Stadium in Fair Park. The Classic is expected to draw more than 45,000 spectators in its first year, as two of the nationīs most popular historically black university football teams battle it out for gridiron supremacy.

http://www.dallaslonestarclassic.com/

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Nothing wrong with that, its just a shame that after having such a successful season, it comes down to a coin-flip. And if Grambling wins then the point is moot.
With the program their building this only the beginning. A league title would help them grow. Alabama A&M had an outside shot last year (they blew it on the last game) and there was none of this outrage and shock for them.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Make that five teams...

http://www.dallaslonestarclassic.com/images/vs.jpg

http://www.dallaslonestarclassic.com/
So that means 4 out of 5 teams from the West play on Thanksgiving weekend.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
So that means 4 out of 5 teams from the West play on Thanksgiving weekend.

Nothing wrong with that...looks like it could be the start of a new tradition. IMO the SWAC should look at having Thanksgiving Classic games for all of their teams. Including PV

BgJag
November 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
If the playoff was moved we wouldn't have this problem. I know quite a few posters on the board think that's a good idea because kids are out of school and attendance sucks the first week anyway. Btw, most posters on this board said that with PVAMU's SOC they still wouldn't make the playoff, so what's all the fuss?

jstate83
November 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Because if that were to occur, PV would be automatically in the SCG, by finishing 1st in the SWAC West. By losing to Grambling, the door was open to the playoffs due to the chance of PV finishing second (where they are now), and not being involved in the SCG. Because they've played well enough to stay in the conversation by finishing the year with one loss. The SWAC has never made the statement that the playoffs were an impossibility, just for Grambling, Southern, and Alabama A&M due to their classics being played on the Thanksgiving weekend when the playoffs start. If they came out as said such, "NO SWAC TEAM WILL EVER BE IN THE PLAYOFFS", then it would clear up this confusion from the beginning and we wouldn't be talking about the possibility of PV being in the playoffs. Right now we have this question out there and all of the signs and actions by the SWAC higher-ups point to the fact that the SWAC title game is the big fish for them.

It's Alabama State that play's the Turkey day Classic with Tuskeege........Not Bamma A@M.
The 3 team's that play after the bid's go out are Southern, Bamma State, and Gram.

JSU and Alcorn used to play the CCC, (Soul Bowl to the old heads), on Thanksgiving day.
We moved it back to the week before the year after the NCAA started the playoff's.

I must admit, the atmosphere and crowd's were out of this world when that game was on Thanksgiving.
The game is still a blast but it has never recaptured the atmosphere of playing on Thanksgiving day.

Imagine family in from all over the country, getting dressed, go to the game, and then have a Thanksgiving feast that night.
Memorial would be rocking with overweight bellies full of food. xlolx

We would have no less than 2 dozen "sauced up/trash talking" family member's that would go to the game while the non-football family member's stayed home and got the food ready.xnodx

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
If the playoff was moved we wouldn't have this problem. I know quite a few posters on the board think that's a good idea because kids are out of school and attendance sucks the first week anyway. Btw, most posters on this board said that with PVAMU's SOC they still wouldn't make the playoff, so what's all the fuss?
That's my point.

813Jag
November 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I started this topic (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51146&highlight=SWAC+West) in late October.

Take note of this quoute from the associate Commisioner: “Obviously there’s still a lot of football to play,” Lewis said. “A lot of things would have to happen. But if that scenario plays out, we would determine the format for the coin flip. I would suspect we’d announce that prior to the Bayou Classic.”

At no point did it say anything about the playoffs.

BgJag
November 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I personally believe that all rival games should be play Thanksgiving weekend, especially if it's an intrastate game. Not sure about other FCS cultures but here in LOUISIANA in the black community that weekend is more of a family gathering than Christmas. Everyone comes home to give thanks and see old friend and relatives, the game is just a pasttime :D ...it's all about family. My oldest brother lives in KC,Mo. but comes home every Thanksgiving and he graduated from Jarvis Christian College. My uncle lives in San Diego and was in school with Charlie Joiner at Grambling come home that weekend and guess what my brother nor my uncle goes to the game. They come home because it's the biggest family event of the year...it just so happened to be the same weekend of the biggest game also. xpeacex
Not sure about other regions/conferences but here in Louisiana and the SWAC it's a religion. Can you imagine SU/GSU, JSU/ALCORN, TSU/PVAM, MVSU/UAPB, McN/Lamar or NWSt, SELa/Nich. None of the local BCS teams are playing that weekend, think LSU plays Arkansas on that Friday. I'm netural on my team participating in the playoff since we never have, but if it was move the SWAC just might consider cancelling the SCG...JUST A THOUGHT.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Sounds like ESPN is causing a stink about PV at the Gram/Tx Southern game on ESPNU

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I hope Dave Coulson blasts the SWAC in his column over this whole issue. It just is unbelievable that a conference would take away a postseason opportunity from a team knowingly as the SWAC has done...

I doubt the SWAC Commish was willing to grant an interview...of course, they have not been forthcoming with Coulson all year, more than likely...

The SWAC title is diminished each time decisions like this one are made. What if PV went to the playoffs and got a few wins? Would add more credibility to the SWAC championship, would it not?

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Basically, the SWAC is inventing a rule...
The SWAC title is diminished each time decisions like this one are made...Inventing a rule? Decisions like this?

First off, the rule is basic to the SWAC, like the NCAA rule is to the SLC's championship. Everybody knows it.

Next, did PVAMU ask for a waiver or to have the coinflip moved? Did it require all three teams agreeing to move it and one or two said no? Is the coinflip date written in the rule?

Seems there are a lot of unanswered questions before throwing the SWAC office under the bus, just like SLC/UCA fans did to the NCAA.

BgJag
November 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
I hope Dave Coulson blasts the SWAC in his column over this whole issue. It just is unbelievable that a conference would take away a postseason opportunity from a team knowingly as the SWAC has done...

I doubt the SWAC Commish was willing to grant an interview...of course, they have not been forthcoming with Coulson all year, more than likely...

The SWAC title is diminished each time decisions like this one are made. What if PV went to the playoffs and got a few wins? Would add more credibility to the SWAC championship, would it not?

Now you think they would've gotten a invite?

T.T posts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error
They have a chance to go.
I just do not see the GPI falling favorably and the SWAC as a whole has had one of their worse seasons in recent years (looking at OOC success). Last year, a PV team with a similar record had a much better shot than this year's squad. A shame too...I like PV a lot and if they had played and beat SHSU, it would add a bit more to their argument, despite SHSU's record, their GPI was better than the entire SWAC as of last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther88
Dammit we WANT to go to San Marcos or Lake Charles.

SLC is going on the road to Weber State, Montana or Northern Iowa. No chance for a SWAC visit to the SLC...

Your GPI will not get you into the playoffs unfortunately.

If you guys were 9-1 against Div I foes -- the committee would've showed you the time of day and been hard pressed to keep a SWAC team with such a record out (pending GPI).

7-1. Not going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.
Folks keep saying that you won't get consideration... but the Panthers are the feel good story of the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prairie View gets the nod as the 16th and final team.
R.A, there you go again! Come on my friend. PV may be the "feel good" but they are not going to 'steal' a bid from a team with a GPI that's half that of PV and all their victories were over teams with better GPIs than PV.

813Jag
November 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Move on, there's nothing to see here. xreadx You guys are causing more fuss than PV people. This is similar to all the crying about a Delaware/Delaware St. game. (by people without a dog in the fight)

Maybe I'm wrong here (after all I'm a fan/alum of a SWAC school) but wouldn't it be best for PV to get a league title under it's belt while Frazier is still there? That would seem like the natural progression, conquer the SWAC, then move on to the playoffs. xconfusedx

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Move on, there's nothing to see here. xreadx You guys are causing more fuss than PV people. This is similar to all the crying about a Delaware/Delaware St. game. (by people without a dog in the fight)

Maybe I'm wrong here (after all I'm a fan/alum of a SWAC school) but wouldn't it be best for PV to get a league title under it's belt while Frazier is still there? That would seem like the natural progression, conquer the SWAC, then move on to the playoffs. xconfusedx

You're right, I am an outsider looking in, but from what I've been seeing and hearing from the SWAC for the last few years is that they would rather not have a playoff participant at all. The fact that PV could finish in a tie for the SWAC West title should Grambling lose the BC and would require a tie-breaker that won't occur until after the game just adds another to the considerable number of hoops that a SWAC team has to jump through just to BE CONSIDERED for the playoffs, right now it stands at this.

SWAC Checklist for making the playoffs:

1) Your name is not Grambling
2) Your name is not Southern
3) Your name is not Alabama A&M
4) Your name is not UAPB (starting this year)
5) Your name is not Texas Southern (starting this year)
6) You did not win your division
7) Your GPI is Top 30 in the country
8) The winner of your division is undefeated
9) The winner of your division has a high GPI
10) The winner of your division would make the playoffs without any question were they eligible.
11) You are not involved in any tie-breaker scenarios whatsoever involving any of the teams above regarding the SWAC Championship Game.

Anything I'm missing?

IMO we won't see a SWAC team in the playoffs ever again. xsmhx

813Jag
November 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
You're right, I am an outsider looking in, but from what I've been seeing and hearing from the SWAC for the last few years is that they would rather not have a playoff participant at all. The fact that PV could finish in a tie for the SWAC West title should Grambling lose the BC and would require a tie-breaker that won't occur until after the game just adds another to the considerable number of hoops that a SWAC team has to jump through just to BE CONSIDERED for the playoffs, right now it stands at this.

SWAC Checklist for making the playoffs:

1) Your name is not Grambling
2) Your name is not Southern
3) Your name is not Alabama A&M
4) Your name is not UAPB (starting this year)
5) Your name is not Texas Southern (starting this year)
6) You did not win your division
7) Your GPI is Top 30 in the country
8) The winner of your division is undefeated
9) The winner of your division has a high GPI
10) The winner of your division would make the playoffs without any question were they eligible.
11) You are not involved in any tie-breaker scenarios whatsoever involving any of the teams above regarding the SWAC Championship Game.

Anything I'm missing?

IMO we won't see a SWAC team in the playoffs ever again. xsmhx
I'll say this and be done the SWAC wants a title game. The schools know this, the teams know this, the coaches know this, and the fans know this. In a perfect world playoffs would be the final destination, but since 1999 Birmingham has been the goal for our teams.
Maybe people are swept away by PV's turn around (rightfully so) but I don't see much hoopla for an Alabama A&M or Jackson St. Where was all this concern for PV and the SWAC's playoff stance at the start of the season?

813Jag
November 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM

What would Coulson blasting the SWAC do besides get your rocks off? You and I both know the SWAC marches to it's own beat.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
... Where was all this concern for PV and the SWAC's playoff stance at the start of the season?I think I have consistently read for years on AGS the want for the SWAC to be in the playoffs. In this case, the right thing to do would be to hold the coinflip today so that PVAMU would know whether or not they had a chance to be selected for the playoffs or not. Heck, despite their low SOS, they are 9-1.

Panther88
November 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
I could care the hell less about a SWAC football championship as I would a fake medal from a cracker jack box. They'd carry the same weight IMO. xreadx Unless the SWAC football championship would bolt us to the playoffs, I could really care the hell less. That's about as real as real gets. xreadx

We're in the proc of attempting to finalize the remaining outstading issues w/ erecting a new on campus stadium. We're not doing that to compete w/ "SWAC schools." We're doing that to compete against the SHSUs, SFAs, TxSTs, aTm B/CS, UofHs, Rices, ut-austins, tx-techs, et al universities for students/student-athletes here first and foremost. Everything else is secondary, just like SWAC schools lol.

We're 20% to where we need and should be competitive wise. It's amazing that we went 9-1 while having only 20% capability student-athlete wise. xreadx

813Jag
November 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM
I could care the hell less about a SWAC football championship as I would a fake medal from a cracker jack box. They'd carry the same weight IMO. xreadx Unless the SWAC football championship would bolt us to the playoffs, I could really care the hell less. That's about as real as real gets. xreadx

We're in the proc of attempting to finalize the remaining outstading issues w/ erecting a new on campus stadium. We're not doing that to compete w/ "SWAC schools." We're doing that to compete against the SHSUs, SFAs, TxSTs, aTm B/CS, UofHs, Rices, ut-austins, tx-techs, et al universities for students/student-athletes here first and foremost. Everything else is secondary, just like SWAC schools lol.

We're 20% to where we need and should be competitive wise. It's amazing that we went 9-1 while having only 20% capability student-athlete wise. xreadx
Everything I've read that you wrote is about PV & the playoffs. I think the future is bright for the school and the team. I said in another topic the title game should be done any with. I and anybodyelse who's had long term dealings with the SWAC knows they can make snap mind boggling decisions. My suggestion is that the schools that want to go to the playoffs lobby to do away with the title game.

813Jag
November 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
I think I have consistently read for years on AGS the want for the SWAC to be in the playoffs. In this case, the right thing to do would be to hold the coinflip today so that PVAMU would know whether or not they had a chance to be selected for the playoffs or not. Heck, despite their low SOS, they are 9-1.
You know what I've read here? 0-19 or MEAC & OVC should have their bids taken away. The SWAC gets bashed enough, at this moment we aren't playoff worthy. 1 FCS OOC win by the whole league.
I have my own personal feelings about the SWAC that I won't share here.

Panther88
November 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Everything I've read that you wrote is about PV & the playoffs. I think the future is bright for the school and the team. I said in another topic the title game should be done any with. I and anybodyelse who's had long term dealings with the SWAC knows they can make snap mind boggling decisions. My suggestion is that the schools that want to go to the playoffs lobby to do away with the title game.

We "youngsers" have made our position known to our prezy & want to do certain things to aide it's progress (donations, etc). However, our current numbers are so minimal until it's almost moot to even discuss outside of the "core" supporters. It's the "old heads" w/ their stuck in the cotton field mentality that has us doing certain things a specific way. xreadx

We've progressed but we STILL have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go, IMO.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
You know what I've read here? 0-19 or MEAC & OVC should have their bids taken away. The SWAC gets bashed enough, at this moment we aren't playoff worthy. 1 FCS OOC win by the whole league.
I have my own personal feelings about the SWAC that I won't share here.

You do have a point.

xoutofrepx

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
You know what I've read here? 0-19 or MEAC & OVC should have their bids taken away.Yes, AGS does have it's share of smartmouths who think messageboards are only for smack. But there is also alot of "the SWAC should be in the playoffs" "the Ivies should be in the playoffs" too. Those sentiments come from fans of the FCS, not those who just bash others.

Panther88
November 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, AGS does have it's share of smartmouths who think messageboards are only for smack. But there is also alot of "the SWAC should be in the playoffs" "the Ivies should be in the playoffs" too. Those sentiments come from fans of the FCS, not those who just bash others.

Syntax, I'm pizzed. xmadx I want our D to go against McN's O or TxSt's O. xmadx

jstate83
November 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
We "youngsers" have made our position known to our prezy & want to do certain things to aide it's progress (donations, etc). However, our current numbers are so minimal until it's almost moot to even discuss outside of the "core" supporters. It's the "old heads" w/ their stuck in the cotton field mentality that has us doing certain things a specific way. xreadx

We've progressed but we STILL have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go, IMO.

Don't blame JSU or Alcorn old heads.
We will play anybody that sign's a contract. xlolx

We moved the date of the Capitol City Classic from Thanksgiving day to the weekend before the playoff bids go out back in 1980.

Su, Gram and Bamma State did not.
Now UAPB & Texas Southern is about to start playing on the weekend after Thanksgiving.
So that's half the conference that will be playing after Thanksgiving.

Somebody remind me why JSU and Alcorn bowed to SWAC official's and moved the capitol City Classic to the weekend before Thanksgiving in 1980?
Please remind me why? xlolx

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
They flip coins in pro baseball weeks in advance. It's no big thing.

There is a big difference. The coin flip in baseball only determines who will be at home or away if a tie occurs. It does not determine a winner or loser.

Having a coin flip to determine a winner or loser before a game is played may affect how a team plays in the game played after the coin flip. A team may have less to play for if they know that a coin flip has already decided their fate.

Panther88
November 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Don't blame JSU or Alcorn old heads.
We will play anybody that sign's a contract. xlolx

We moved the date of the Capitol City Classic from Thanksgiving day to the weekend before the playoff bids go out back in 1980.

Su, Gram and Bamma State did not.
Now UAPB & Texas Southern is about to start playing on the weekend after Thanksgiving.
So that's half the conference that will be playing after Thanksgiving.

Somebody remind me why JSU and Alcorn bowed to SWAC official's and moved the capitol City Classic to the weekend before Thanksgiving in 1980?
Please remind me why? xlolx

It's not JState or Alcorn that's holding the conf back stag, errrr, jstate83. We know the real deal. xreadx

jstate83
November 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM
It's not JState or Alcorn that's holding the conf back stag, errrr, jstate83. We know the real deal. xreadx

My cover has been blown away. xlolx xthumbsupx

Panther88
November 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
My cover has been blown away. xlolx xthumbsupx

xlolx

Plz. You bring the exact same fire here that you bring over there------> and over there------> where "the eye that is tight" lives. xreadx xthumbsupx

LOL I don't know about you sometimes man. lol

jstate83
November 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
xlolx

Plz. You bring the exact same fire here that you bring over there------> and over there------> where "the eye that is tight" lives. xreadx xthumbsupx

xlmaox
I'm bored man.
If nobody call me for a tech problem, I'm just at my station staring at computer's all day.

And today, I'm pissed.
The CCC Pep Rally is being held on the Capital Lawn and I can't be there.xmadx
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/JacksonMSSkylineAtNight.jpg
They started blocking off downtown Jackson last night.
It will be shown on WJTV-TV12 webcast at 12pm central time.
Damm........Damm............DAMM!!!!xmadx

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/AOB2106.jpg

WJTV-TV12 link. (http://www.newslink.org/cf/goto.cfm?g=641)

jstate83
November 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
xlolx

Man. xlmaox
Earnest Jones done pulled out a big arse fake CCC throphy, put it in Comegy's face, and called it the Alcorn Mississippi SWAC Throphy.xlolx

Ricky Smiley putting on a show hosting.xlolx
Alcorn band been clownig every since...........They won't stop. xlolx