PDA

View Full Version : Pete's Playoff Picks by conference

BEAR
November 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
A fellow Bear friend found this site that has the picks listed by conference.

Sorry if this has been listed here before. But here's the site:

http://petespoll.com/petesprvrev.shtml

It doesn't appear that wins against UCA count toward playoff eligibility due to being in transition. If he is right, then Texas State will have to win on Saturday against Sam Houston just to get enough wins to be eligible. McNeese, even if they win saturday against UCA, will only have 5 Division I wins. I'm totally confused about the autobid..especially if Texas State loses Saturday. Does the Southland get the autobid even if Texas State loses, thus not giving them the 7 Division I wins they need? or does that matter? (Sorry, new to the whole playoff thing) :o

Southland Conference
Three teams are still in the hunt for the Southland Conference championship and automatic qualifier for the NCAA Division I Football Championship. Texas State and McNeese State are both 4-2, while Northwestern State, at 3-3, remains in the hunt for a championship, but only if McNeese State and Texas State both lose Saturday. Nicholls State, Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana and Stephen F. Austin have been eliminated from the championship picture. Central Arkansas, now 5-1, is ineligible for the conference championship and cannot participate in the playoffs because of its NCAA Championships ineligibility during its reclassifying transition into Division I. Which brings the 7-game standard into play as well.

Northwestern State currently has only 4 qualified wins. They played DII Texas A&M-Commerce, and reclassifying Central Arkansas. Even a win this Saturday over SFA, would not bring them to the needed 7 wins. Texas State currently has only 6 DI wins, making this week's game (vs. SHS) "must win". Furthermore, McNeese State currently has two sub-I-AA/FCS wins ...giving them only 5 ...with reclassifying Central scheduled this weekend. The Cowboys did have their game with Cal-Poly cancelled. Who knows? The way things look, this is a one-bid conference for 2008. Thanks to the auto-qualifier.

Southland Standings
Conf All
Central Arkansas 5-1 9-2
Texas State 4-2 7-4
McNeese State 4-2 7-3
Northwestern State 3-3 6-5
Sam Houston State 2-4 4-5
Stephen F. Austin 2-4 4-7
Southeastern Louisiana 2-4 5-6
Nicholls State 2-4 2-6

IaaScribe
November 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Games against UCA should count. The non-counter status is only for teams in their first year of transition.

UAalum72
November 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Pete's always had his own ideas of who to rate and who not to.

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
FYI, never EVER take anything on that site seriously. He's about as with it as MPLSBISON.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
FYI, never EVER take anything on that site seriously. He's about as with it as MPLSBISON.

xthumbsupx

Ditto. Pete's in a world of his own.

appfan2008
November 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I was reading pete's site and amazed at how crazy some of the things he said were... then I read the comments here and realized I am not alone...

HPCAT
November 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
WIth the auto-bid, 7 wins should be a moot point, applicable only to at large considerations. Most folks accept that the SLC is a one bid conference this year.

But not does not mean one and done.

TXST could mean trouble for teams that have not seen such a explosive balanced offense, with the key being balanced, not one dimensional.

appfan2008
November 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
WIth the auto-bid, 7 wins should be a moot point, applicable only to at large considerations. Most folks accept that the SLC is a one bid conference this year.

TXST could mean trouble for teams that have not seen such a explosive balanced offense, with the key being balanced, not one dimensional.

it is a moot point which is why he shouldnt have brought it up bc it doesnt even matter and he was acting like if they dont get7 they cant accept the auto qualifier... just stupid...

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
WIth the auto-bid, 7 wins should be a moot point, applicable only to at large considerations.
Correct. Montana State only had 6 DI wins in 2002 and got the BSC auto (7-5 with 1 DII win and 1 DII loss).

BEAR
November 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info...and the education..xlolx

McNeese75
November 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Like Cal Poly right??? :D

Pete's Weekly
November 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Just so everyone knows. I finally had a response back from the SLC. The rule is quite complicated. As per the NCAA:

A team is a qualified DI school (when moving from DII) 1 year after they move from provisional/transitional to transitional. So last year looks to be the first year & this is the second. While in transition, the institution involved has to declare they are eligible in writing by September 15, or prior to the beginning of the sport in question ...which ever is first. All schools that schedule that team must then do the same. So I sent an email to Assistant Commissioner Lamb to verify that all of this has taken place. Here is the reply, I will update the site tonight when I get home from work.

------------------------------------------

Hey Dan,
I just wanted to let you know that Central Arkansas is a countable Division
I opponent in every regard. I ran it by our commissioner just to make sure
and he assured me that is accurate.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Lamb
Asst. Commissioner for Communications
Southland Conference

-----------------------------------------------------------

So this means that games vs UCA qualify as games toward the post-season. I am not convinced they count in-conference toward the AQ though. Hopefully I will have an answer soon.

nmatsen
November 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Correct. Montana State only had 6 DI wins in 2002 and got the BSC auto (7-5 with 1 DII win and 1 DII loss).

I believe that was 03' wasn't it? I remember them coming to the dome in 03' as the auto bid winner from the big sky but they were 7-4.

Canyoncat
November 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I believe that was 03' wasn't it? I remember them coming to the dome in 03' as the auto bid winner from the big sky but they were 7-4.

Cats got in in 02 with a 7-5 record lost to McNeese State 21-14. They got in the next year with another 7-5 record and lost to UNI something like 35-14. Both times we were the auto. In 06 we made it as an at large because of our win over Colorado, but finished with a 7-4 regular season record. We lost to DII Chadron State in 06 and DII Central Washington in 02 I believe. We haven't played two DII teams in one year except for this year (USD and Adams State both wins).