PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Defensive Linemen

CSN-info
November 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg
The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We will be publishing the lists over the next two weeks and we hope you will enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM
#26 Rich Owens- DE Lehigh xhurrayx

inpsite1919
November 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM
# 8. Robert Porcher, DE, South Carolina State, 1st Rnd-1992
xbowx

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
We don't have many players that are going to show up on these lists, but hopefully Charles Haley is considered a LB and not a DE. I would guess they go by what position they played in college.

gbhmt
November 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Pleasantly surprised to see Kroy in there at #17xthumbsupx

jstate83
November 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
AHHH...............xeyebrowx
Why no Dr. Sack...........Leon Seal?xnonono2x

Superbowl XXV...........Tampa, Florida.
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71395913.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBCD0602D258098393 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71157537.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBB9DD8B5CA9EF4A8A A40A659CEC4C8CB6
List is INCOMPLETE.xsmhx

pokum88
November 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Bryan Smith from MCNEESE should be on the list. IMA

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
We don't have many players that are going to show up on these lists, but hopefully Charles Haley is considered a LB and not a DE. I would guess they go by what position they played in college.

Charles Haley also played LB in the pros for a while too

93henfan
November 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
No Shawn Johnson, huh? I figured the anchor of the only team to pitch a shutout in the championship game might be worthy. Twelve regular season sacks and 21 tackles for losses of 97 yards too.

Those are thirty great players that were picked though. Can't argue that any on there were not phenomenal.

DB_Atlantic10
November 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM
We don't have many players that are going to show up on these lists, but hopefully Charles Haley is considered a LB and not a DE. I would guess they go by what position they played in college. Man I hope so, that would be a HUGE miss on the list. Also I thought he did play DE in college and the Pros with very limited LB time....5SB rings.....xrulesx

Touchdown Yosef
November 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Dexter Jackson makes the WR list but Corey Lynch isn't on the DB list? Dexter may not have been the best receiver on our team last year let alone in the top 30 of all time...

Appstate29
November 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
this is lineman, not backs

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah Bryce Paup played DE in the NFL but I believe he was a LB at UNI so hopefully he shows up on the LB list because he was a NFL Defensive MVP.

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I cant beleive they have Chris Gocong so far down the list.
I mean come on NOW?? the stats speak for themselves... Record after record. This shouldnt be a list based on how they are playing or played in the NFL... ITs how they played while in COLLEGE.

In 2005, Gocong set a FCS season-record with 23.5 sacks and led the nation with 31 tackles behind the line of
scrimmage. He recorded a career-high 98 tackles, caused four fumbles, recovered two others and deflected four passes.
© 2008 College Sporting News - 2008 FCS Yearbook
This amazing season led to Gocong being the recipient of the Buck Buchanan Award. In 41 career games with the
Mustangs, Chris started 35 times and recorded 212 tackles. He set an NCAA career-record with 42 sacks for minus
284 yards. Gocong play in 2005 aided to Cal Poly's 8-3 record and first-ever playoff berth that included a win at
Montana. He was a two time All-American in his junior and senior seasons (2004 & 2005). Gocong was drafted by the
NFL's Philadelphia Eagles in 2006 and became a starter in 2007. He has 54 tackles and 1 sack in his career thus far for
the Eagles.

93henfan
November 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
As an Eagles fan, gotta say "Thanks for Gocong." He and Stuart Bradley are really coming into their own. Now if we could get a coach and QB...

appfan2008
November 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Dexter???

Really???

what about davon fowlkes???

if you are going to have an asu wide reciever no way you go with dexter...

and HOW CAN YOU LEAVE OFF COREY LYNCH???

kerry brown and matt isenhour being left off oline is also a shame...

all I know is dexter coakely and dino hackett better show up or this is a true sham...

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
This shouldnt be a list based on how they are playing or played in the NFL... ITs how they played while in COLLEGE.
It says the lists are a sampling of players at the positions that highlight college and pro achievements. xcoffeex

appfan2008
November 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM
It says the lists are a sampling of players at the positions that highlight college and pro achievements. xcoffeex

we know what is says but why??? this isnt a pro league!!! it should represent what happened at the schools...

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
or this is a true sham...Obvious App envy and hate. xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
November 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM

While it is easy to criticize it I am glad to see someone take a stab at it. Thanks!

Maybe an honorable mention to show the top names not ranked could be done? Maybe list 5-8 guys in no order below #30?

Stang Fever
November 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
we know what is says but why??? this isnt a pro league!!! it should represent what happened at the schools...

My point exactly. I can read you know. But it should be based purely on how well they played COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Cause the way they have it. HOW CAN the NFL all time sack leader be second on the list. I want to see a list of Greats based on College. Granted I believe all of these guys have a favorable shot at being in the college football hall of fame. (note Favorable)

appfan2008
November 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Obvious App envy and hate. xlolx

what we have accomplished over the last 3 years and to a lesser exent the other 27 must be taken into account a number of multiple time all americans have already been left off of the lists...

smallcollegefbfan
November 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Dexter???

Really???

what about davon fowlkes???

if you are going to have an asu wide reciever no way you go with dexter...

and HOW CAN YOU LEAVE OFF COREY LYNCH???

kerry brown and matt isenhour being left off oline is also a shame...

all I know is dexter coakely and dino hackett better show up or this is a true sham...

If Coakley is not #1 then I don't know who else would be. He is the best LB in FCS history by far and the only two-time Buchanan Award winner. Hackett had a great senior year and is a definite top 5-10 guy as well.

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Why complain about what it should be. You know going in what it is so quit complaining about what it isn't. There were plenty of UNI players I thought could be on either the DB or WR list, but they never made it in the NFL so no use complaining it isn't going to change anything.

blueballs
November 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Fred Stokes was a fine DL in the NFL with the Rams and 'Skins but he played OL at GSU, not DL.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Greg Peach would be on this list but he hasn't graduated yet.

89Hen
November 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I cant beleive they have Chris Gocong so far down the list.
I mean come on NOW?? the stats speak for themselves... Record after record. This shouldnt be a list based on how they are playing or played in the NFL... ITs how they played while in COLLEGE.
I think you are correct that this list is too heavily weighted to how they played/are playing in the NFL.

I could be completely botching this, but I thought Gocong was playing LB for the Iggles. xconfusedx

ValleyChamp
November 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM
James Ruffin will be on this list next year.

Retro
November 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I really hate these lists because they focus too much on the NFL in some cases. If Biermann is on there, so should Bryan Smith of Mcneese.. He's better despite not winning the Buchanan award.. He was drafted in the 3rd rd, if that even matters, which apparently it does in some cases..xrolleyesx

If you guys want to do a list of the top FCS players, don't even look at what they did in the pro's, because there are far too many players who had great FCS careers, but no pro success and then some that had so-so FCS career's and then blossomed in the pros... Pro success has absolutely nothing to do with their FCS achievements!xnonox

For you Josh, you're too hung up on what players will do in the pro's anyway instead of looking at them for what they are right now or have done at this level. Leave that for another list.xrulesx

Cap'n Cat
November 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpgRead more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Jeff Bealles #99, DE Northern Iowa, 1984-87

Owned every single Gateway Conf OT for three years straight.