PDA

View Full Version : S.C. State making bid to bring playoff games to Orangeburg

R.A.
November 19th, 2008, 01:27 AM
S.C. State making bid to bring playoff games to Orangeburg
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer

http://thetandd.com/content/articles/2008/11/19/news/13337505.jpg
OLIVER C. DAWSON STADIUM LOCATION: S.C. State campus in Orangeburg CONSTRUCTED: 1955 SEATING CAPACITY: 22,000 LARGEST CROWD: 24,577 (Sept. 11, 1999 against Benedict College) RENOVATIONS: Semipermanent seats were added in 1972 to increase capacity to 10,000. Additional renovations increased seating to 15,000 and remodeled the press box. In 1994, a $4.5 million refurbishment project raised the seating capacity to its present level, resodded the playing field, added extra restrooms and remodeled the press box. In 2006, the school installed synthetic turf to replace the natural grass at a cost of $552,000 and added a $427,000 state-of-the-art scoreboard. NAMED AFTER: Former S.C. State coach, athletics director, professor and administrator Oliver Cromwell Dawson. The Thomaston, Ga., native coached five different sports at S.C. State from 1935-1976 and won championships in four of them. (LARRY HARDY/T&D)

The Garden City could rival Death Valley -- the site of this year's annual Clemson/University of South Carolina clash -- in football frenzy during Thanksgiving weekend.

During Tuesday's weekly Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference teleconference, South Carolina State head football coach Oliver "Buddy" Pough revealed the school has placed a bid for a Football Championship Subdivision playoff game at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium on Nov. 29.

Link to story
http://thetandd.com/articles/2008/11/19/news/13337505.txt

terrierbob
November 19th, 2008, 03:25 AM
It would be fantastic. Good luck!

inpsite1919
November 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
It will happen, as long as we finish out real strong.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM
This shouldn't even be a question...the reason why UD didn't want to come down to Dover last year was that they knew they could make more on ticket sales by holding the game at Tubby Raymond field. With both schools within 100 miles or so of each other, and with SC State having the larger stadium of the two. If, (and I mean if, because there's still talk of SC State and App, when Richmond makes more sense regionally), the Terriers and the Bulldogs are matched up in the 1st round, without question the game should be at Dawson Stadium. I hope that the school made an impressive bid because if so I think that outbidding SC State would cause Wofford to LOSE money on holding this game at their place.

GOODY26
November 19th, 2008, 06:29 AM
xpeacex I hope SCSU do get to host the playoff game.xthumbsupx

appstate38
November 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Good looking stadium.... Facilities are definitely not a concern. Since we know the NCAA loves the $$$$. You guys should get one.

CSUBUCDAD
November 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Man that would be sweet. 40 miles up the interstate from me. I would be there for sure.

Pitbull
November 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Whether we get it or not we would still have to play a different level of ball to beat Wofford and/or App State..And when I say different I mean playing disciplined ball from start to finish, playing 100 miles/hr on every play-not taking any plays off, great play calling and coaches making adjustments throughout the game(not just at halftime).......I can't remember if we have ever played App St (I think so)...but I know we have played Wofford a few times and we were able to hang w/ them.......We shall see...xnodx

OLDMAIN80
November 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Whether we get it or not we would still have to play a different level of ball to beat Wofford and/or App State..And when I say different I mean playing disciplined ball from start to finish, playing 100 miles/hr on every play-not taking any plays off, great play calling and coaches making adjustments throughout the game(not just at halftime).......I can't remember if we have ever played App St (I think so)...but I know we have played Wofford a few times and we were able to hang w/ them.......We shall see...xnodx

SC State would be a great matchup with Wofford. We are 6-2 lifetime against the Bulldogs and the last time we lost in Orangeburg was in 1975.
I was at the last game we played at SC State and will be there for this one too if it pans out.xthumbsupx

WOCO
November 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
This shouldn't even be a question...the reason why UD didn't want to come down to Dover last year was that they knew they could make more on ticket sales by holding the game at Tubby Raymond field. With both schools within 100 miles or so of each other, and with SC State having the larger stadium of the two. If, (and I mean if, because there's still talk of SC State and App, when Richmond makes more sense regionally), the Terriers and the Bulldogs are matched up in the 1st round, without question the game should be at Dawson Stadium. I hope that the school made an impressive bid because if so I think that outbidding SC State would cause Wofford to LOSE money on holding this game at their place.

I hope Mr. Richardson wants a home game and cuts a check. I'd go either way but I would love to be home in the first round, especially after last year.

Rob Iola
November 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Nice stadium! Wish Delaware Stadium were as nice...

Good luck with the bid, and the game itself! Suggest max protect and deep pass on your 1st play from scrimmage...

Punchykky
November 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Interesting idea. SCSU definitely has the facilities. And I think SCSU would sell the game out as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
They have to be angling to outbid Wofford, and setting up a Wofford at SC State matchup.... How POed would Terrier fans be with that? No other home game makes sense, unless you send UNH there (unlikely, IMO) or a Maine there (more likely).

joecooll6
November 19th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Pretty field

beauvighn
November 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Not sure they have the resources to outbid Wofford if Wofford really is serious about hosting.

Either way, it looks like a beautiful stadium and we would be honored to play SCST. in the first round

BestOfBreed
November 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM
They have to be angling to outbid Wofford, and setting up a Wofford at SC State matchup.... How POed would Terrier fans be with that? No other home game makes sense, unless you send UNH there (unlikely, IMO) or a Maine there (more likely).

Most Terrier fans would be thrilled. I for one would much rather play at SC State than Montana.

B&G
November 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Not sure they have the resources to outbid Wofford if Wofford really is serious about hosting.

Either way, it looks like a beautiful stadium and we would be honored to play SCST. in the first round

Why not? SCSU has played two BCS schools in each of the past two seasons so it's not like there's nothing left in the coffers from those payouts. Plus they can seat more people in their stadium. I'm just wondering why Terrier fans are so sure SCSU couldn't outbid a "serious" Wofford. It seems to be a common theme. Not saying the sentiment is incorrect but I would like to know the thought behind it. What does Woff have that SCSU couldn't match?

DX Man
November 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I applaud SCSU for trying to get a home game, but if Wofford wins this week, there is no way they should have to go on the road for the 1st round. After Wofford went on the road last year and won in one of the toughest places in all of the FCS, they've proven that they deserve a home game in the 1st round.xpeacex

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Why not? SCSU has played two BCS schools in each of the past two seasons so it's not like there's nothing left in the coffers from those payouts. Plus they can seat more people in their stadium. I'm just wondering why Terrier fans are so sure SCSU couldn't outbid a "serious" Wofford. It seems to be a common theme. Not saying the sentiment is incorrect but I would like to know the thought behind it. What does Woff have that SCSU couldn't match?

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0041/0750/vince_feature.jpg

It's all about the Mon-Nay! xlolx

From the looks of things SCSU has the room to guarantee more because of their larger stadium (more tickets to sell). And distance will not be an issue for either team, so both fan bases will be out in full force.

bosshogg
November 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I applaud SCSU for trying to get a home game, but if Wofford wins this week, there is no way they should have to go on the road for the 1st round. After Wofford went on the road last year and won in one of the toughest places in all of the FCS, they've proven that they deserve a home game is the 1st round.xpeacex

Most would agree with this. If SCSU got a home game against wofford, it would be because our stadium holds more people and there would be more money to be made.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 10:24 AM
In all seriousness, would it be a big deal if Woffy played at SC State? It at least would allow Woffy fans to see the game without scheduling a last-second flight to Montana. Plus, as everyone sees, SC State has a beautiful stadium. And yes, you could cram more fannies into seats in Orangeburg than you could in Spartanburg.

Rob Iola
November 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I applaud SCSU for trying to get a home game, but if Wofford wins this week, there is no way they should have to go on the road for the 1st round. After Wofford went on the road last year and won in one of the toughest places in all of the FCS, they've proven that they deserve a home game is the 1st round.xpeacex
If Wofford doesn't get a seed then it's all about the bid, per NCAA policy...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I applaud SCSU for trying to get a home game, but if Wofford wins this week, there is no way they should have to go on the road for the 1st round. After Wofford went on the road last year and won in one of the toughest places in all of the FCS, they've proven that they deserve a home game is the 1st round.

There is no such thing as "deserving" a home playoff game, unless you make it in the field as a seed. All else is "Show Me the MONEY!!!!!"

JMU knows this all too well. One win away from securing home field in the playoffs - a welcome change from our usual On the Road Again routine...

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
There is no such thing as "deserving" a home playoff game, unless you make it in the field as a seed. All else is "Show Me the MONEY!!!!!"

That's right. And if SCState is the closest school to one of the four seeds (App St.), then the bid will never be opened.

JMU fans know this all too well. We have nice facilities, felt we deserved a home game and have had nice bids in the past, but were hurt by that geography problem in that we were the closest non-seeds to YSU (06) and App St. (07).

It's about geography first, then money.

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM
That's right. And if SCState is the closest school to one of the four seeds (App St.), then the bid will never be opened.

JMU fans know this all too well. We have nice facilities, felt we deserved a home game and have had nice bids in the past, but were hurt by that geography problem in that we were the closest non-seeds to YSU (06) and App St. (07).

It's about geography first, then money.

Also it may be true that Wofford is closer to SC State than App St. But the rules stipulate that all seeds are paired first, THEN the other teams are paired.

So, they're going to look at a map and see who's closest to App St...that could be SC State.

Black and Gold Express
November 19th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It will happen, as long as we finish out real strong.

Correction: It will happen, as long as you don't face a seeded team and do outbid Jerry Richardson.

Not sure if either of those are going to happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Also it may be true that Wofford is closer to SC State than App St. But the rules stipulate that all seeds are paired first, THEN the other teams are paired.

So, they're going to look at a map and see who's closest to App St...that could be SC State.

That IS SC State. Wofford and SC State are the only two teams in SC playing in the playoffs. App State, in norhtwestern North Carolina, is further away. Matter of fact, Elon is closer to SC State than App State, too - but not as close as Wofford.

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
That IS SC State. Wofford and SC State are the only two teams in SC playing in the playoffs. App State, in norhtwestern North Carolina, is further away. Matter of fact, Elon is closer to SC State than App State, too - but not as close as Wofford.

What is the closest non-SoCon team to ASU in the field?

Black and Gold Express
November 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM

But are they closer than the UR/W&M winner would be to Boone?

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Orangeburg to Boone = 231.6
EKU to Boone = 262.4.6
Richmond to Boone = 314.8

Seems a lock that SCState's going to Boone.

That rule about pairing seeds first makes no sense because it's contrary to the goal of limiting travel. However, that's the rule that's going to keep the Wofford/SCState matchup from happening.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Wofford to ASU: 130 mi
Richmond to ASU: 314 mi

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
EKU to Boone = 262.4.6If that's the case then EKU (if they get in) is going to Boone.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
EKU to Boone = 262.4.6
Richmond to Boone = 314.8

Seems a lock that SCState's going to Boone.

That rule about pairing seeds first makes no sense because it's contrary to the goal of limiting travel. However, that's the rule that's going to keep the Wofford/SCState matchup from happening.

Come on man... are you seriously debating that a 30 mile difference is going to prevent a good first-round game from happening?

Richmond seems destined to being on the road. What's the closest non-CAA school with a realistic chance at being a destination for Richmond? Elon; but they've already played them, and it's no guarantee that they will be in the field. Next? App State.

You add to that that it's a rematch of last year's semifinal? Add a couple of percentage points to that probability.

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Come on man... are you seriously debating that a 30 mile difference is going to prevent a good first-round game from happening?

Richmond seems destined to being on the road. What's the closest non-CAA school with a realistic chance at being a destination for Richmond? Elon; but they've already played them, and it's no guarantee that they will be in the field. Next? App State.

You add to that that it's a rematch of last year's semifinal? Add a couple of percentage points to that probability.

You've got a point IF EKU makes it, then maybe 30 miles won't make a difference. If Tenn-Martin is in instead, then SCState is the clear choice for closest team to ASU.

Elon will have already been paired with JMU
ASU will be paired with SCState
Wofford will be paired with UR

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Not to be a smartass, but I've read the handbook several times, and no where do they list any criteria for paring as "a good first-round game".

Black and Gold Express
November 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM

A few points:

They have no problem doing first round rematches of in-season games. ASU and Troy met in round 1 in Troy's last year in I-AA. They played in Boone in Week 2 of that season.
A UR/Wofford rematch would be a good one too, one of a game a lot closer than ASU/UR was.
Elon's not a lock for getting in even if they beat Liberty. If they are not in, then I would guess EKU would be the next closest if they are in.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Not to be a smartass, but I've read the handbook several times, and no where do they list any criteria for paring as "a good first-round game".

Economically it makes sense to have Wofford-SCSU and Richmond-App

Both will have over 20,000 on hand for the game. Wofford doesn't travel well. Richmond doesn't sellout their stadium. Its almost common sense to have two 1st round playoff games at your biggest stadiums available, where you will sell more tickets at both sites. You could easily have this:

Richmond @ App State = 20,000+ in attendance
Wofford @ SCSU = 20,000+ in attendance

instead of this:

SCSU @ App State = 20,000+ in attendance
Wofford @ Richmond = >10,000 in attendance (and I'm being gratuitous with that estimate) xnonono2x

App will have great attendance no matter who is in there in the first game. Richmond has had poor attendance all season and historically little is different for home games in the playoffs.

I think that you can afford to send one team an extra 80 miles or so to have another two teams travel a combined 400 miles less AND potentially double the profitability of the two playoff games. And this isn't no racial bias, ploy or ulterior motive, the only color that should matter to the NCAA is $GREEN$. This is just good business practices...xnodx xnodx xnodx

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You're absolutely right DSURocks. I don't disagree that those matchups make the most sense.

BUT, take it from the JMU fans who have gone through this two straight years now... The rules they have to follow about geography, travel and expenses outweigh any matchups that make sense.

I'm sure it would have made sense for JMU to have home games the past two seasons because of the receipts we would draw, but none of that matters if you're located near a seed.

I'm not trying to pee on anyone's cornflakes, but JMU fans have seen it work this way for two straight years, and I'm trying to interject a bit of reality into the conversation about SCState hosting a game.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
You're absolutely right DSURocks. I don't disagree that those matchups make the most sense.

BUT, take it from the JMU fans who have gone through this two straight years now... The rules they have to follow about geography, travel and expenses outweigh any matchups that make sense.

I'm sure it would have made sense for JMU to have home games the past two seasons because of the receipts we would draw, but none of that matters if you're located near a seed.

I'm not trying to pee on anyone's cornflakes, but JMU fans have seen it work this way for two straight years, and I'm trying to interject a bit of reality into the conversation about SCState hosting a game.

2007 Matchups

New Hampshire @ (1)Northern Iowa
Delaware State @ Delaware
Eastern Illinois @ (4)Southern Illinois
Fordham @ Massachusetts
Eastern Washington @ (2)McNeese State
James Madison @ Appalachian State
Wofford @ (3)Montana
Eastern Kentucky @ Richmond

2006 Matchups

Coastal Carolina @ (1) Appalachian St
Furman @ Montana State
Illinois State @ Eastern Illinois
James Madison (4) Youngstown State
McNeese State @ (2) Montana
Tennesee-Martin @ Southern Illinois
New Hampshire @ Hampton
Lafayette @ (3) Massachusetts

The only thing that I notice about those two seasons are that JMU was 9-2 in 2006 and 8-3 in 2007. Richmond will finish either 9-3 or 8-4, and looking at their schedule the only win that jumps out at me is Elon. So I don't think that its a guarantee that Richmond will be at home for the first round. Whether they're in the CAA or not. xrolleyesx In any case, to me UR @ Wofford is a lot more likely than Wofford @ UR. The MEAC champion does not automatically get sent on the road for the playoffs, it happened last year because Alumni Stadium is too small for a playoff game, especially playing Delaware.

smcwildcat
November 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM
great stadium

BestOfBreed
November 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Let us not forget that App State's AD is on the committee and I'm sure he will push for whatever he thinks is the easiest game. Eastern Kentucky's AD is also on the committee and I'm sure will do likewise.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
great stadium

More pics of Dawson Stadium:

Make it happen NCAA xthumbsupx

B&G
November 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
2007 Matchups

Fordham @ Massachusetts
Wofford @ (3)Montana

-If they seed the #1 team first with the closest team, then why did UNI play UNH last year?

Panther93
November 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
2007 Matchups

Fordham @ Massachusetts
Wofford @ (3)Montana

-If they seed the #1 team first with the closest team, then why did UNI play UNH last year?

I'm assuming because E. Illinois would have been the only one close enough (maybe) for bus travel, but they were even closer to SIU.
So that leaves no one else for UNI to play except a team that must travel by plane.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
For those of us saying that Wofford is almost assured a home game remember this:

The playoff committee is the equivalent to the BCS for Wofford--You don't know haw many times you'll be ripped off.

We gave a school record bid last year and still got sent to Montana. If Jerry wants us to have an assured home game this year, he'll probably give more.

SC state has a wider fan base so I guess they might get it but I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford got it over them. It doesn't matter to me, the last time Wofford lost an away OOC FCS game was @ Deleware in 2003.

B&G
November 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM

So then this rule must not supersede the rest considering last year had UNH travelling to UNI when there were much closer matchups. Which means if it's out the window, then SCSU-Wofford could indeed happen.

Dukie95
November 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
So then this rule must not supersede the rest considering last year had UNH travelling to UNI when there were much closer matchups. Which means if it's out the window, then SCSU-Wofford could indeed happen.

Yeah, but see the response to that question above. Someone was flying to UNI anyway, I guess the picked UNH because they had no other bus option.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but see the response to that question above. Someone was flying to UNI anyway, I guess the picked UNH because they had no other bus option.

Agreed, once somebody needs to step onto a plane, it doesn't matter where they're coming from, anybody could be the one picked to make the flight.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Agreed, once somebody needs to step onto a plane, it doesn't matter where they're coming from, anybody could be the one picked to make the flight.

Soooo...UNH @ CP isn't out of the question then?

apaladin
November 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I don't think you will see 20,000 peeps at any game on Thanksgiving weekend except Montana.

appstate1998
November 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
If Wofford wins out....that means they only lost to FBS SC and 3 time champ ASU. If they don't get a home game, especially after having to travel to Montana last year(regardless of the outcome) then something is definitely wrong with the selection committee. Chattanooga has the national champsionship game, the rest of the games should be based off the most deserving team getting home field...

I mean what the hell would they do it UTC one day went undefeated in the SOCON and was a #1 seed. Should they not get a home game just because they only have 3 fans other than band parent fans?????

UMass922
November 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I mean what the hell would they do it UTC one day went undefeated in the SOCON and was a #1 seed. Should they not get a home game just because they only have 3 fans other than band parent fans?????

The #1 seed would guarantee them home games regardless of all other factors.

beauvighn
November 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Let us not forget that App State's AD is on the committee and I'm sure he will push for whatever he thinks is the easiest game. Eastern Kentucky's AD is also on the committee and I'm sure will do likewise.

Great point. When your AD is on the selection I'm sure Jerry Moore will tell him who he wants to play. Look for App to play SCST and Wofford to play Richmond.

I remember one Appy saying that they wanted to play as many CAA schools as possible to shut them up. Guess they changed their mind

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM
If Wofford wins out....that means they only lost to FBS SC and 3 time champ ASU. If they don't get a home game, especially after having to travel to Montana last year(regardless of the outcome) then something is definitely wrong with the selection committee. Chattanooga has the national champsionship game, the rest of the games should be based off the most deserving team getting home field...

If they were winning they would definitly have more fans.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
If they were winning they would definitly have more fans.

And if UTC ever got to the situation where they would be capable of getting the #1 seed, talk would start up fast of moving the title game, less we have another "Marshall" situation on our hands xlolx

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
And if UTC ever got to the situation where they would be capable of getting the #1 seed, talk would start up fast of moving the title game, less we have another "Marshall" situation on our hands xlolx

I'm young, explain.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm young, explain.

xreadx

In 1992, Marshall won their first I-AA title. The championship game was played in Huntington, WV. Proud hometown of the MARSHALL THUNDERING HERD. xlolx

From 1992-1996, Huntington, WV hosted the championship game. Not surprisingly, Marshall was a participant in that title game in four out of those five seasons (Winning in 1992 and 1996).

In 1997, Marshall moved up to the MAC and the title game was relocated to Chatty, where it is held every year to this day.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
xreadx

In 1992, Marshall won their first I-AA title. The championship game was played in Huntington, WV. Proud hometown of the MARSHALL THUNDERING HERD. xlolx

From 1992-1996, Huntington, WV hosted the championship game. Not surprisingly, Marshall was a participant in that title game in four out of those five seasons (Winning in 1992 and 1996).

In 1997, Marshall moved up to the MAC and the title game was relocated to Chatty, where it is held every year to this day.

Well as long as it's not played in Montana, Georgia Southern, or "The Rock" I'm fine.

inpsite1919
November 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM

Great point. When your AD is on the selection I'm sure Jerry Moore will tell him who he wants to play. Look for App to play SCST and Wofford to play Richmond.

I remember one Appy saying that they wanted to play as many CAA schools as possible to shut them up. Guess they changed their mind

If I'm not mistaken this is the current list, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision Committee
Dave Kaverman of Southeast Missouri State representing the Central Division
Tim Van Alstine of Western Illinois representing the Central Division
Bruce McCutcheon of Lafayette representing the East
John McCutcheon of Massachusetts representing the East
Floyd Kerr of Morgan State representing the South
Warren Koegel of Coast Carolina representing the South
Jim O’Day of University of Montana representing the West
Richard Benardi of Nicholls State representing the West

When you start talking about the money side of the situation, how many of your schools have put up for a Multiple Stellar Award-winner, Grammy-nominee artist to perform. That being said money is not a issue where there is a will there is a way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSeMFlecSvw

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up... live out the true meaning of its creed. We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.” MLK

Wofford @ SCSU
Live on ESPN
November 29, 2008

xcoolx

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 01:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken this is the current list, someone correct me if i'm wrong.Okay

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52727

THE COMMITTEE (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf)

Chairman:
John McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
Committee:
Mark Sandy - Dir. of Athletics Eastern Kentucky University
Tim Van Alstine - Dir. of Athletics Western Illinois University
Charles Jones - Dir. of Athletics Central Connecticut State University
Bruce McCutcheon - Dir. of Athletics Lafayette College
Charles Cobb - Dir. of Athletics Appalachian State Univeristy
Floyd Kerr - Dir. of Athletics Morgan State University
Warren Koegel - Dir. of Athletics Coastal Carolina University
Richard Bernardi - Dir. of Athletics Nicholls State University
Jim O’Day - Dir. of Athletics University of Montana

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=2008-fcs-championship&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

LakeGriz
November 20th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Eight at-large teams get chosen to go with the eight Auto, and then the committee decides which four teams will get the seeds. Those four teams are guaranteed first-round home games -- as long as they meet the $30,000 minimum bid. That leaves the four other games to be placed, and the criteria includes facilities, prospects for a crowd, history, crowd control, and money.

For the second round, the four seeded teams will host again -- if they win, and if they meet a $40,000 minimum for the second round. If any seeded teams lose in the first round (ala Montana in 2007 on a missed FG by this year's Dolphins kicker), then somebody else will get a home game.

Semifinal minimum guarantees for seeded teams: $50,000.

A clue: If you're not a seeded team and want a home game, you better have bid a whole lot more than $30k, $40k, or $50k.

inpsite1919
November 20th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks One name left off one put on.
But like I stated SCSU has:
Fan Base = High Attendance
Star Power = ESPN = MONEY =

Wofford @ SCSU
Live on ESPN
November 29, 2008

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up... live out the true meaning of its creed. We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.” MLK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0GnyOTchQ0

xcoffeex

Pitbull
November 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm a realist...We will have to play at a different level to beat whoever we play......Great teams do all of the little things right all of the time....We haven't been doing that consistently this year.....I have seen it in spots...but not game in and game out.....We have the ability and the talent to win...But can we put it w/ a game plan from our coaches at the end of the regular season...That remains to be seen....I think we can do it....xthumbsupx...I know we can do it....xthumbsupx

ASU
November 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm a realist...We will have to play at a different level to beat whoever we play......Great teams do all of the little things right all of the time....We haven't been doing that consistently this year.....I have seen it in spots...but not game in and game out.....We have the ability and the talent to win...But can we put it w/ a game plan from our coaches at the end of the regular season...That remains to be seen....I think we can do it....xthumbsupx...I know we can do it....xthumbsupx

You have a really good record this year.....must have been pretty consistent....would like to see them at the Rock.

I had a friend that graduated from SC State....drove up from Florida back in the 70's to see Appalachian beat South Carolina at Williams Brice stadium.....we barely got out of that stadium alive.....the wives were not too happy.

By the way.....Any person with ties to a school has to leave the room when they are talking about or making a decision on that person's school.
....on the selection committee. I had heard that for years, but also heard an audio on SME Broadcasting (I believe it's SMEBroadcasting.com....under their archieves, under football.....that was just put on today).....it's the head of the selection committee talking about how they do it. {I believe the head guy is that guy from U-Mass that we thought had something to do with getting 5 CAA members into the playoffs last year.}

Hail-Hail
November 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have hope....let's get it dogs!! To anyone coming on Sunday see you at the SHM!!

MarchingMountaineer
November 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM
By the way.....Any person with ties to a school has to leave the room when they are talking about or making a decision on that person's school.
....on the selection committee. I had heard that for years, but also heard an audio on SME Broadcasting (I believe it's SMEBroadcasting.com....under their archieves, under football.....that was just put on today).....it's the head of the selection committee talking about how they do it. {I believe the head guy is that guy from U-Mass that we thought had something to do with getting 5 CAA members into the playoffs last year.}

Committee members only have to leave the room for the vote on their school:

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:

5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

That's not the same as leaving during the discussions about their school deserving to be selected. Also, a member from UMASS can be in the room to discuss other CAA teams for inclusion. And there's no specific rule that says they have to leave during the discussions about pairings that include their school or where the four, non-seeded games will be played. The rules are specific about which teams the seeds will play - they will be paired with the closest at-large not in the seed's conference.

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM

I agree to disagree. I agree that the passing game has not always been hitting, but that comes with the lack of experience and mostly play calling. Our running game will be unstoppable if the passing game got going early in a game. Defense speaks for itself. They stood strong against UCF just got tired because the passing wasn't on point early in the year. Against clemson they handled their business against the pass but those huge OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LINES ( SOMETHING WE NEED BADLY IN FCS FOOTBALL) hurt us. We are a great team. This is the most well- rounded team I've seen in a long time. We can compete and beat anybody on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY!!!!!!

Go Bulldogs!

Sing the praise of Alma Mater
Let us rally to her call
Lift our voices, send them ringing,
Thru the groves and classic halls.

Hail! Hail! Dear Alma Mater
Hail! Hail! Dear S.C. C.
We’ll defend and honor,
Love and cherish thee.

We are loyal sons and daughters
Proud to own the name we bear
For the truth that thou has taught us
Ready all to do and dare.

Hail! Hail! Dear Alma Mater
Hail! Hail! Dear S.C.C.
We’ll defend and honor,
Love and cherish thee.

xwhistlex

BgJag
November 21st, 2008, 12:50 AM
I don't think you will see 20,000 peeps at any game on Thanksgiving weekend except Montana.

you wanna bet on that?xpeacex

ASU
November 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Committee members only have to leave the room for the vote on their school:

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:

5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

That's not the same as leaving during the discussions about their school deserving to be selected. Also, a member from UMASS can be in the room to discuss other CAA teams for inclusion. And there's no specific rule that says they have to leave during the discussions about pairings that include their school or where the four, non-seeded games will be played. The rules are specific about which teams the seeds will play - they will be paired with the closest at-large not in the seed's conference.

It may say that in the rules but I think he said that's what they do when they are discussing the team that they work for.

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM

you wanna bet on that?xpeacex

Can i get in on the action!!!

Wofford @ SCSU

Let's Make It Happen

xrolleyesx