PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11/17

JALMOND
November 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
One week left in the conference season and, barring something major, it looks like the conference will get two teams in to the playoffs. Northern Arizona has completed the year one week earlier than the rest and will be staying home for Thanksgiving. Some teams are gearing toward the playoffs, some are getting ready for next year, and some are trying to survive. Here are this week's power rankings, last week's in parentheses.

1. Weber State (1)---As if a bye was going to hurt them. The Wildcats had an extra week to prepare to complete the conference slate undefeated. Just a home win over Eastern Washington is all that stands between them. They have clinched at least a share of the conference title with Montana.

2. Montana (2)---The Griz welcomed Idaho State to Missoula over the weekend and, after making the first quarter seem interesting, finally put the pesky Bengals away. This week the Brawl of the Wild as they welcome their rivals, Montana State, to Missoula. The Griz need a win and a Weber State loss to share the conference title.

3. Montana State (3)---It took a while, but the Bobcats put Portland State away last week at home. The vaunted Bobcat defense bent but did not break, and the offense finally came alive as well. This week, a trip to that hated Montana team in the Brawl of the Wild. Records are thrown out and the game will be hard fought. They've won there before, can they do it again?

4. Sacramento State (4)---The Hornets had little trouble with Northern Colorado at home in clinching a winning season last weekend. A great way for a program that has not had much success, yet the Hornets can end the year with four straight wins if they beat winless Idaho State. The game is a road game, will it matter?

5. Eastern Washington (6)---In the tale of what might have been last week, the Eagles got by Northern Arizona to get back to .500. A season of high expectations on all fronts is drawing to a close and they have no choice but to get ready for next year. But a chance to put a dent in someone else's hopes as they head to Weber State to end the year is what they are still playing for. Ironically, the two team's roles are reversed from last year. Do the Eagles have one more surprise left?

6. Northern Arizona (5)---The middle of the year and the Jacks were looking good, with everything going right. Then, four straight losses to end the year and it all went south. One bright spot, the season is over and they have no choice but to look towards next year.

7. Portland State (7)---The road woes continued for the Vikings as a trip to Montana State did not go so well. As a result, they were winless away from Portland, something that had not been done in the program since 1996, their first year in the Big Sky. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde all year, the Vikings seem to be more competitive at home. Good news in that they still have a home game left this weekend when Northern Colorado comes calling.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---It just continues for the Bears. Last week, a loss on the road to Sacramento State, this week a trip to Portland State. What started out as a promising year with the Bears being close has slowly turned into a couple of blowouts. Portland State has not been lighting the world on fire, maybe the last game will be close again.

9. Idaho State (9)---So the Bengals made it interesting last week at Montana for one quarter, then they fell victim to the Grizzlies defense. They are still winless with just one more game left to play. The game is against the upstart Sacramento State team. The good news is that the game is at home. The bad news is that, well, that has not translated into victories either.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM
3. Montana State (3)---It took a while, but the Bobcats put Portland State away last week at home. The vaunted Bobcat defense bent but did not break, and the offense finally came alive as well. This week, a trip to that hated Montana team in the Brawl of the Wild. Records are thrown out and the game will be hard fought. They've won there before, can they do it again?Once.

xcoffeex

:p

SactoHornetFan
November 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Pretty spot on....of course I said before the season that we would be much improved...now if we can only win in the month of October (Sperbeck is 0-7 in October in two years)......

Ronbo
November 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Congrats to Sac. State on their comeback season and the win over a tough Davis team. Jalmond Sac. State clinched a .500 season last Saturday and are 6-5. If they lose this week they didn't get a winning season.

Native
November 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Once.

xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx xlolx

SactoHornetFan
November 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Congrats to Sac. State on their comeback season and the win over a tough Davis team. Jalmond Sac. State clinched a .500 season last Saturday and are 6-5. If they lose this week they didn't get a winning season.

So what do you think our chances are for the winning record this week xlolx

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
So what do you think our chances are for the winning record this week xlolx

It is up for grabs. ISU really doesn't want to lose every damn game this year so I would imagine they will come out with nothing to lose. Probably some trickery will be used in the game.

CrazyCat
November 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

What are you laughing at? Weber hasn't won at Wa-Griz since 1987.xlolx

I Bleed Purple
November 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
It is up for grabs. ISU really doesn't want to lose every damn game this year so I would imagine they will come out with nothing to lose. Probably some trickery will be used in the game.
Poor choice of words, maybe? They have everything to lose, namely every game this season. Takes work to be able to do that. Playing on concrete helps that, though.

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Once.

xcoffeex

Pretty sure we wont have a blizzard and that goony redhead already graduated.:D

already123
November 19th, 2008, 01:11 AM
as far as power rankings are concerned, I would put NAU just above Idahho State...xcoffeex

Everything else is spot on IMO xthumbsupx

JALMOND
November 19th, 2008, 02:15 AM
as far as power rankings are concerned, I would put NAU just above Idahho State...xcoffeex

Everything else is spot on IMO xthumbsupx

You guys are done, everyone else still has to play this weekend. But I will take your suggestion under consideration next week.xnodx xlolx :D

Native
November 19th, 2008, 07:00 AM
What are you laughing at? Weber hasn't won at Wa-Griz since 1987.xlolx

This is a pretty good year for Weber. As good as the Montana team is, and as much as they have improved, the Grizz are not Weber's biggest challenge. xwhistlex

Not still making excuses for WSU winning at MSU, are we? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bobcat in NC
November 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Ummmmm, don't look now...but we have another redhead. Only time will tell if this one wears the Griz out like the other one did.

http://www.msubobcats.com/upload/FBDesin_Mark_Wmug08.jpg

KGKat
November 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Last time I looked there is a decent chance of snow and/or rain, with a high in the 30s! Bobcat weather againxnodx

Berquist will look like he is making snow angels with as much time as he will spend laying on his back looking up at the heavens!xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Ummmmm, don't look now...but we have another redhead. Only time will tell if this one wears the Griz out like the other one did.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! My eyes! xeekx

already123
November 19th, 2008, 01:07 PM
You guys are done, everyone else still has to play this weekend. But I will take your suggestion under consideration next week.xnodx xlolx :D

I hope its STRONG consideration...

Ranking without Jerome Souers, 3rd...With, 7th! xsmhx

wapiti
November 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I remember that game, It only snowed on the Griz players and fans, the Bobcat players and fans had sunshine and mid 50's. :D

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Wow, hope he keeps his helmet onxrolleyesx

UNCBears2010
November 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I still say that UNC should be ranked 8.5.

I Bleed Purple
November 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I remember that game, It only snowed on the Griz players and fans, the Bobcat players and fans had sunshine and mid 50's. :D

Man, weather is so fickle. The way I've heard, the same thing happened during the Weber/Montana game this year, except it wasn't a blizzard, it was a monsoon. Weber's end of the line of scrimmage was dry as a bone.

Green26
November 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Do you not think weather conditions can impact the two teams in different ways and amounts? For example, does a 40 mph wind not impact a passing team more than a running team? Does a home team playing in its consistently bad turf not have an advantage over the opposing team? The Griz used to have an advantage playing at home late in the season when their grass was gone and the field was frozen. Would a northern team not have an advantage over a southern team if it was snowy and minus 10?

This is all part of the game, but some of you act like weather and field conditions don't impact games.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Man, weather is so fickle. The way I've heard, the same thing happened during the Weber/Montana game this year, except it wasn't a blizzard, it was a monsoon. Weber's end of the line of scrimmage was dry as a bone.

I wouldn't know. The rain nearly washed my contacts out and I couldn't see s@#t xbawlingx

JALMOND
November 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Last time I looked there is a decent chance of snow and/or rain, with a high in the 30s! Bobcat weather againxnodx

Berquist will look like he is making snow angels with as much time as he will spend laying on his back looking up at the heavens!xlolx

You're forgetting about that north wind blowing about 20 mph in Bozeman.

LakeGriz
November 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM
We acknowledge that Weber won over Montana at home in the rain and mud and therefore has the Auto bid as well as clinching at least a share of the conference championship. We do NOT concede they are the best team in the Sky. Griz beat Cal Poly on the road; strength of schedule for Weber includes mediocre D2 Dixie State and nearly hapless Montana Western of the NAIA.

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2008, 03:11 AM
We acknowledge that Weber won over Montana at home in the rain and mud and therefore has the Auto bid as well as clinching at least a share of the conference championship. We do NOT concede they are the best team in the Sky. Griz beat Cal Poly on the road; strength of schedule for Weber includes mediocre D2 Dixie State and nearly hapless Montana Western of the NAIA.

I do. Weber is better than Montana this year. Maybe not by much, but they are. I consider both to be top-5 teams, though, & both teams may even receive seeds, so what's to complain about? The Griz weren't supposed to be a top-5 team this year, anyway.

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Neat that you excluded the two FBS games where we were ahead at the half in one and looked decent against a top ten FBS team.

Of course your D-II win looks great though, since it's a top level D-II, right?