PDA

View Full Version : If every team in the CAA played each other.....

WOCO
November 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
If every team in the CAA played each other, how would the conference win loss be different and would there be a possible different playoff scenario?

smcwildcat
November 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
much different but would be dumb also

WOCO
November 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
much different but would be dumb also

I do realize that there are 12 teams and it can't happen, but imagine if app and wofford didn't have to play.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yes. And half the members from the CAA South don't get to play Rhode Island, Northeastern and Hofstra, and half the members from the North don't get to play Towson and Delaware. Yes, there would be some tougher games, but there would also be more gimme's. It'd probably balance out, though I realize it's impossible.

For all the SoCon whining about having to play everyone in conference, they get games against The Citadel, Western Carolina and UTC.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I do realize that there are 12 teams and it can't happen, but imagine if app and wofford didn't have to play.

The 12-team conference, not just in the CAA, but everywhere, is untenable.

StrikeJMU
November 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I'd be cool with that.

andy7171
November 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I would like to play all the CAA North teams and only 3 from the South.

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
imagine if app and wofford didn't have to play.
Imagine if WC didn't get to play WCU, Chatty or Samford. xpeacex

Or better yet, imagine if App or Wofford had to play all the CAA teams too. xeyebrowx

whitey
November 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The CAA would still get 4 teams in the playoffs this year. Except they'd all most definitely be from the South. And if New Hampshire beats Maine this weekend they could get 5.

I don't see how much changes other than Villanova could be 9-1 right now and JMU could be 10-0 (no FBS games for these two schools in this scenario right?). That and this weekend's game of Richmond/W&M would be pretty meaningless since both teams would already be playoff locks.

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Or better yet, imagine if App or Wofford had to play all the CAA teams too. xeyebrowx

We did last year:D.

WOCO
November 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM

The reality is that Wofford cost App a seed last year and App did the same to us this year.

WOCO
November 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

WUTNDITWAA
November 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Are you talking about the 2007 nCAA Champions? xnodx

StrikeJMU
November 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM

I would like to personally welcome App. State fans to November 17th, 2008. Past calendars are only good for kindling and remembering birthdays.

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
You ask like we're YSU fans talking about the 1990's or something, it was just last year.

Let's see 11/17/08, yep I'm there.

ASU is three time defending national champion, ranked #2 in the FCS nation, can wrap up homefield advantage throughout the the playoffs with a win over WCU, and has the most dynamic player in the FCS leading them. Another great day to be a Mountaineer.

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
If every team in the CAA played each other, how would the conference win loss be different and would there be a possible different playoff scenario?
With an 11 game schedule there would be no OOC games, so I think you'd still be looking at 3-5 CAA teams in the playoffs every year.

With a 12 game schedule, I expect most CAA teams would schedule an easier opponent (i.e no FBS road game) for the OOC game. You're still looking at 3-5 playoff teams.

In other words, it would probably even out.

DTSpider
November 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, Richmond sure did have an easy conference schedule this year.

#1 JMU, @ #6 Nova, @ #16 W&M, #17 Maine

How many ranked teams did Wofford play in conference? I count 3, #2, #12 & #20.

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Richmond sure did have an easy conference schedule this year.

#1 JMU, @ #6 Nova, @ #16 W&M, #17 Maine

How many ranked teams did Wofford play in conference? I count 3, #2, #12 & #20.

The CAA south is very strong no doubt about it, but the north teams have had the easier schedules. Neither Maine nor UNH have beaten a top 25 team this year, yet we are ready to send the winner to the playoffs. The CAA North reminds me of a weak reality TV contestant that pairs up with the strong player at the beginning of the season and rides their coattails to the finals. The fourth place CAA South member would win the North.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
UNH's record would not be as strong if they had to play all the tough south teams...

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
The CAA south is very strong no doubt about it, but the north teams have had the easier schedules. Neither Maine nor UNH have beaten a top 25 team this year, yet we are ready to send the winner to the playoffs. The CAA North reminds me of a weak reality TV contestant that pairs up with the strong player at the beginning of the season and rides their coattails to the finals. The fourth place CAA South member would win the North.
If UNH finishes 9-2 they deserve to be in, even if it is at the expense of the 4th place CAA south school - which will have 4 losses.

UNHFootballAlum
November 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
UNH just hammered #22 UMASS. I count that as a top 25 team.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I would like to play all the CAA North teams and only 3 from the South.
so you'd leave off JMU, Richmond and Villanova? xcoolx

GannonFan
November 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Well, they used to be a top 25 team - UMass won't be on any top 25 lists this week.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
UNH's record would not be as strong if they had to play all the tough south teams...
OH PLEASE.

UNH Has made the playoffs the past four season (No other CAA/A-10/Yankee team has ever done that.) And has done so playing the eaier parts of the south and the harder, yet they still made the playoffs with solid records.

People are knocking on UNH's schedule like they did UMass' last year, but UNH wins what they have to no matter which part of the schedule they have, unlike UMass.

UNHFootballAlum
November 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Well, they used to be a top 25 team - UMass won't be on any top 25 lists this week.

They were #22 when they played last Saturday. That would count as a top 25 win

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
The thrashing UNH gets from the SoCon is laughable consdering there is a very similar team in their own conference that seems to avoid the same treatment, AND is without the quality of win that UNH has (I'm looking at you, Elon, and you, The SoCon).

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The thrashing UNH gets from the SoCon is laughable consdering there is a very similar team in their own conference that seems to avoid the same treatment, AND is without the quality of win that UNH has (I'm looking at you, Elon, and you, The SoCon).

Might want to check your facts Elon has beaten a current top 25 team.

Black Saturday
November 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM

UMass is not a very good team. They mailed that game in Saturday.

JMU Newbill
November 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
OK.... this argument gets old... but I am revisiting it since the SoCon people keep bringing it up.

JMU has beaten (at the time of the game) a #1, #3, #5, #7, and #12 team. Maine is currently around #20 (depending on your poll of choice and timing). Man, we really had it easy with 6 of our 9 wins coming against top 25 teams. In fact, while we are at it, UNH, UR, VU, Maine, and UMASS all had it pretty easy too.

App State/Wofford play tough schedules, no doubt about it. But honestly, no team in either conference has "an easy schedule", whether they play every team in the conference or not. Get over it.

MasonJar
November 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
OK.... this argument gets old... but I am revisiting it since the SoCon people keep bringing it up.

JMU has beaten (at the time of the game) a #1, #3, #5, #7, and #12 team. Maine is currently around #20 (depending on your poll of choice and timing). Man, we really had it easy with 6 of our 9 wins coming against top 25 teams. In fact, while we are at it, UNH, UR, VU, Maine, and UMASS all had it pretty easy too.

App State/Wofford play tough schedules, no doubt about it. But honestly, no team in either conference has "an easy schedule", whether they play every team in the conference or not. Get over it.

zactly! lets see where everyone falls come December 19th around 11:30pmxcoffeex xhypedx

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Yea, my guess is that each eight game schedule has a mix of top teams and lower teams. The difference in the CAA is that those are different teams. UNH still had/has to play three top 25 teams (W&M, 'Nova, and Maine) and a team that is on the cusp of the Top 25 (UMass) and most people consider their schedule "weak." (They also played and beat an FBS that is not the bottom feeder a lot expected it to be).

UNH's schedule is really only "weak" on a relative basis. Sure they "could" have played JMU and UR, too, but then they probably would lose one of the other top teams. If Dayton played their schedule and went 8-3, everybody would say how they are a "lock" to make the playoffs.

henfan
November 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Odd that this topic is seldom brought up by people in the CAA, yet those not involved in the conference are consumed with it.

It's a non-issue for most people in the CAA. It just isn't important, especially compared with other far more pressing matters.

PapaBear
November 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Neither Maine nor UNH have beaten a top 25 team this year

I have no interest in this silly argument, other than to read it and chuckle. But just to correct your facts ...

Delaware was #20/24 when we beat them. UMass was #13.

The fact that they both subsequently dropped out of the polls doesn't mean squat. The fact is, they were ranked when we played them. Just as we are now ranked, and therefore any team that beat us when we were playing poorly can claim that they beat a ranked team.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled delusions.xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have no interest in this silly argument, other than to read it and chuckle. But just to correct your facts ...

Delaware was #20/24 when we beat them. UMass was #13.

The fact that they both subsequently dropped out of the polls doesn't mean squat. The fact is, they were ranked when we played them. Just as we are now ranked, and therefore any team that beat us when we were playing poorly can claim that they beat a ranked team.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled delusions.xsmiley_wix

"WAS" is the key word in your statements. Rankings in September and October don't mean "squat". You are claiming a win vs. Delaware when they were ranked #20 as a quality win and I'm the delusional one.xnonono2x

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM
"WAS" is the key word in your statements. Rankings in September and October don't mean "squat". You are claiming a win vs. Delaware when they were ranked #20 as a quality win and I'm the delusional one.xnonono2x

I actually agree. I'm not one to put much stock in "was ranked" arguments. Otherwise, our win over UMass is more impressive than our win over Maine, which, after the season has played out, doesn't seem to be the case.

89Hen
November 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Odd that this topic is seldom brought up by people in the CAA, yet those not involved in the conference are consumed with it.

It's a non-issue for most people in the CAA. It just isn't important, especially compared with other far more pressing matters.
Reminds me of the Delaware/Del State issue. xsmiley_wix

19Duke97
November 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Same could be said for Furman's win over Delaware. teams do ebb and flow through seasons though, I think once teams are eliminated from playoff contention, the quality of play drops a bit.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Just be sure to make the same argument for Elon. Please. I don't want to hear complaining about this and then boasting for Elon's chances come selection time.

JmuSkinsfan
November 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Well, this year JMU played Umass, Maine and Hofstra and won all 3. Add in UNH, Northeastern and Rhody and subtract NCC, Duke and ASU, and I think you would see an 11-0 JMU team. No change for us, except for swapping a win against UNH for a loss @ Duke.

For the others, I really don't know and don't have the time to look into it!

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
xbangx Is the SoCon xbangx better than xbangx the CAA xbangx which is too big xbangx and unfair xbangx and UNH xbangx didn't have to play xbangx a tough schedule xbangx and App gets to play xbangx WCU and Chattanooga xbangx who both stink xbangx and is Georgia State xbangx going to be in the North xbangx and App went xbangx 4-0 v the CAA xbangx in the playoffs xbangx and Wofford really is a good team xbangx and more CAA teams are in the top 25 xbangx and who cares anyway!

dbackjon
November 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM
They were #22 when they played last Saturday. That would count as a top 25 win

Cool. So Weber and Montana get credit for a top 20 win over NAU.

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Agreed. The only people who have a complaint are the losers of this weekends Richmond - W&M, since they will likely miss the playoffs while a CAA north team likely gets in ahead of them.

No matter how you schedule it, the CAA likely gets 4 teams in the playoffs, yet some people get all worked up because not all CAA teams play each other.

GannonFan
November 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Yup, much ado about nothing, that is, unless you aren't part of the CAA and then it's one of the hottest topics in FCS. xrolleyesx

BigApp
November 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Odd that this topic is seldom brought up by people in the CAA

You don't mention it because you know its a weakness, just like the Germans didn't advertise the Panzer's weak spot.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
You don't mention it because you know its a weakness, just like the Germans didn't advertise the Panzer's weak spot.

I've always failed to see how it's a weakness. Explain to me how any CAA team's schedule this year is any weaker than another conference's schedule?

The North has two ranked teams and another that is just on the outside of the Top 25. The South has four ranked teams.

UNH (who everybody brings up as having a "soft" schedule) will play three ranked teams (Maine, 'Nova and W&M), a close to Top 25 team (UMass) and then Hofstra, Towson, Northeastern, and Rhode Island.

Elon will play three ranked teams (ASU, Wofford, and Furman) and Georgia Southern, The Citadel, Samford, Western Carolina and Chattanooga.

Not much difference to me.

EDIT: These are current ranks, not ranks when they played. I don't buy the retroactive approach.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I've always failed to see how it's a weakness. Explain to me how any CAA team's schedule this year is any weaker than another conference's schedule?

The North has two ranked teams and another that is just on the outside of the Top 25. The South has four ranked teams.

UNH (who everybody brings up as having a "soft" schedule) will play three ranked teams (Maine, 'Nova and W&M), a close to Top 25 team (UMass) and then Hofstra, Towson, Northeastern, and Rhode Island.

Elon will play three ranked teams (ASU, Wofford, and Furman) and Georgia Southern, The Citadel, Samford, Western Carolina and Chattanooga.

Not much difference to me.

EDIT: These are current ranks, not ranks when they played. I don't buy the retroactive approach.

the weakness occurs when from the uneven scheduling. A CAA North team could for example, have this CAA schedule:

Maine, Mass, Northeastern, URI, Hofstra, Delaware, Towson and W & M.
Another team could have this schedule:

Mass, UNH, Maine, URI, Hofstra, JMU, Villanova, and Richmond

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
the weakness occurs when from the uneven scheduling. A CAA North team could for example, have this CAA schedule:

Maine, Mass, Northeastern, URI, Hofstra, Delaware, Towson and W & M.
Another team could have this schedule:

Mass, UNH, Maine, URI, Hofstra, JMU, Villanova, and Richmond

First, that couldn't happen because the pairings are: JMU, Richmond, Delaware and W&M, Villanova, and Towson.

Second, the only difference is the CAA South teams you play, so if you look at the above pairings this year, each trio has two ranked teams in it.

The point is that by the end of the year, you've got as good of a feel for how good a team is based on their schedule in the CAA as you would from another conference's schedule. If conference championships mattered that much, I might be on the other side, but the fact is they don't (our UD posters have convinced me otherwise and I'm in their camp now...:D ).

I still don't see the weakness. I would put either of those schedules against another conference's schedule.

dbackjon
November 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
First, that couldn't happen because the pairings are: JMU, Richmond, Delaware and W&M, Villanova, and Towson.

Second, the only difference is the CAA South teams you play, so if you look at the above pairings this year, each trio has two ranked teams in it.

The point is that by the end of the year, you've got as good of a feel for how good a team is based on their schedule in the CAA as you would from another conference's schedule. If conference championships mattered that much, I might be on the other side, but the fact is they don't (our UD posters have convinced me otherwise and I'm in their camp now...:D ).

I still don't see the weakness. I would put either of those schedules against another conference's schedule.

Only one ranked team in first scenario...

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM
but the south teams are grouped as W&M, Towson and Villanova and then Delaware, JMU and Richmond.

No north team can actually face the scenerio you put forth.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM

But that scenario couldn't happen (see the three team groups) and it's based entirely on this year and on speculation.

Each year, the strong teams change.

Can you give an actual, concrete, "has happened" example where the scheduling was a weakness?

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Tougher schedule:

Elon - 20th
UNH - 64th

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/toughest%20schedule/fcs_9games_cumm.pdf

Also just get under the skin of Big Sky folks:

Montana - 79 xsmiley_wix

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Tougher schedule:

Elon - 20th
UNH - 64th

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/toughest%20schedule/fcs_9games_cumm.pdf

Also just get under the skin of Big Sky folks:

Montana - 79 xsmiley_wix

Using that chart...

10 CAA teams in Top 25 (including the Top 3 and over half of the top 15)
6 SoCon teams in Top 25

If your argument is that the uneven scheduling is a weakness to the conference, it kind of goes out the window there...

Saint3333
November 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Using that chart...

10 CAA teams in Top 25 (including the Top 3 and over half of the top 15)
6 SoCon teams in Top 25

If your argument is that the uneven scheduling is a weakness to the conference, it kind of goes out the window there...

The argument (at least my argument) has never been that the conference's, as a whole, schedule is weak, rather that 1 maybe 2 members will enjoy a weaker schedule. This year that team is UNH.

Green26
November 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The CAA is a very good conference. However, I think some people give CAA teams too much credit for playing in a tough conference. They get too much credit, sometimes, because they don't play all of the tough teams every year. As has been pointed out, the toughness of the conference for each team depends on who that team plays in the given year.

It would be interesting to see the computer ratings on each of the schedules played by each team, as if the teams played plus the team were the entire conference. It would be interesting to see how strong the assumed "conference" was, in comparison to the whole CAA and the other conferences.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 07:42 AM
The CAA is a very good conference. However, I think some people give CAA teams too much credit for playing in a tough conference. They get too much credit, sometimes, because they don't play all of the tough teams every year. As has been pointed out, the toughness of the conference for each team depends on who that team plays in the given year.

It would be interesting to see the computer ratings on each of the schedules played by each team, as if the teams played plus the team were the entire conference. It would be interesting to see how strong the assumed "conference" was, in comparison to the whole CAA and the other conferences.

That's an interesting point and to that effect, the other members of the CAA with UNH's schedule (except that they play UNH) are:

Rhode Island - 11th
Northeastern - 22nd.

Also, in that chart that in the IA vs. IA games the teams are 579-578?? How did that happen? Shouldn't your intra-division games be an even number of wins and losses??

Cobblestone
November 18th, 2008, 07:47 AM
If every team in the CAA played each other? xeekx

We've got enough problems with the teams we already play.

Dukie95
November 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM
They get too much credit, sometimes, because they don't play all of the tough teams every year.

It balances out because each team doesn't play all the easy teams each year, either.

This year, JMU missed UNH, but is also missing URI.

89Hen
November 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The argument (at least my argument) has never been that the conference's, as a whole, schedule is weak, rather that 1 maybe 2 members will enjoy a weaker schedule. This year that team is UNH.
But the question was raised in a way that made it sound like if the CAA did have to all play each other we'd see a large change in the number of at-large bids. For every one that would "enjoy a weaker schedule", there is one that would not. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
November 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM
xbangx and App went xbangx 4-0 v the CAA xbangx in the playoffs xbangx

App went 4-0 v the CAA in the playoffs? xconfusedx

Damn, the CAA really has grown big - who knew we had teams that far west? xlolx xlolx

BigApp
November 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I still don't see the weakness.

mcv, what part are you not 'seeing'? maybe this will help:

When was the last time your autobid winner played ALL 3 of the top finishers in the opposite division of your conference?

What that means is this: A team that wins your conference and makes the playoffs has historically done so by beating the worst teams on the other side. Had they played the better teams (as the rest of America does), they very likely wouldn't even have even made the playoffs.

See?

whitey
November 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM

When was the last time your autobid winner played ALL 3 of the top finishers in the opposite division of your conference?

What that means is this: A team that wins your conference and makes the playoffs has historically done so by beating the worst teams on the other side. Had they played the better teams (as the rest of America does), they very likely wouldn't even have even made the playoffs.

See?

The first part of your point might be valid, although I'm not bored enough to research whether or not your assumption is correct. I also feel like I don't have to because your second point is most definitely wrong.

BigApp
November 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Also, I want to "thank" a certain Dukes fan for neg-repping me b/c as he says, the SoCon is "weak this year".

What that has to do with this discussion is lost on me. xscanx

ccd494
November 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Who cares? You can take away the CAA autobid for all it matters, the CAA will still get 4 or 5 in based on strength of schedule, both in-and out-of conference. It doesn't matter if you don't play everyone.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM

See?

The second point is definitly not true the last two years. When the autobid comes from the south, they're generally getting and beating the best teams in the conference.

Also, your point seems to concede that the top eight teams in the CAA are better than any other group of eight out there. Otherwise, it wouldn't matter who we played in conference.

The fact is that even with this "weakness" over half of the Top 15 tough schedules are in our conference and 10 of our teams are in the Top 25 in strength of schedule. 1 or 2 teams might escape the "big dogs" but they still have a tougher schedule than most other teams (UNH as the exception this year).

If the "weakness" is that we don't crown a "true" champion for our autobid that's fine, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important in FCS football. I'm pretty sure ASU fans are okay with not getting last year's auto-bid.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Also, I want to "thank" a certain Dukes fan for neg-repping me b/c as he says, the SoCon is "weak this year".

That was uncalled for whoever did it. I hit you back to try and balance it out.

andy7171
November 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
That was uncalled for whoever did it. I hit you back to try and balance it out.

You know what else Dukes fans do that is uncalled for? Purple Streamers xmadx

:p
Who cares if CAA teams don't play 3 teams from the opposite division? the 8 CAA games we do play would be a top conference on its own.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
You know what else Dukes fans do that is uncalled for? Purple Streamers xmadx

:p
Who cares if CAA teams don't play 3 teams from the opposite division? the 8 CAA games we do play would be a top conference on its own.

I wish I could be there on Saturday to throw a few your way.

And you're right. The 8 teams we play would be a great conference regardless.

henfan
November 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
And it's still possible for conferences with complete round robin schedules to have co-champions. In the FCS, round robin schedules aren't as valuable or problematic as some apparently believe.

On purely a personal level as a fan, I enjoy the variety of a revolving conference schedule. xthumbsupx

BigApp
November 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
The second point is definitly not true the last two years.

sorry, but it is. UMass had your autobid both 2006 & 2007:

2007 the top 3 finishers on the other side were #1 Richmond, #2 JMU and #3 Delaware. UMA played NONE of them.
2006 the top 3 finishers on the opposite were #1 JMU, #2 Villanova and #3 Towson (who had a .500 conference record). To their credit, UMA DID play #2 and #3, but not the #1.

any other years you'd like to try?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM

2007 the top 3 finishers on the other side were #1 Richmond, #2 JMU and #3 Delaware. UMA played NONE of them.
2006 the top 3 finishers on the opposite were #1 JMU, #2 Villanova and #3 Towson (who had a .500 conference record). To their credit, UMA DID play #2 and #3, but not the #1.

Didn't UMass go to the finals in 2006?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Neg rep should not happen for that.

That said you should let go the "didn't play everyone" stuff.

ccd494
November 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Are you saying that UMass would not have made the playoffs without the AQ? Because if not, then it is a moot point. There is no scenario in which the CAA could produce a champion that would not otherwise have made the playoffs as an at large. UMass had to go through UNH in both '06 and '07.

charliej
November 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM

See?

Historcally? ...The answer to the question is never.The split div. conference is only in its 5th year. The autobid is determined by a tiebreaker most years.

While it might make it easier to get a conference championship by missing some of the better teams in the opposite division.... Why would anyone outside of the CAA care?xconfusedx

As for not making the playoffs if they played the better teams,(like the rest of America),UNH did it last year.xnodx

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
If UNH finishes 9-2 they deserve to be in, even if it is at the expense of the 4th place CAA south school - which will have 4 losses.

Don't forget that, except for a loss to W&M with 24 seconds to go (after a roughing the passer negated a UNH interception to seal the game), UNH would be 9-1 heading into this weekend's game with UMaine. One loss to Villanova during which UNH dominated at times and shot themselves in the foot several other times (including TD called back) is not a bad potential resume.

Add to that a win over FBS Army and a scoring offense that has scored 28+ in every game except for Villanova loss (13pts) and the resume looks even better. Avg per game is around 38+/- for the year. UNH has nothing for which to apologize, ....

nutterlyattled
November 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM

i do think it is fair to retrospect, because with a close loss they would be in the top 25 still, we crushed them so they dropped we deserve to say we beat a top 25 team

now i think they were overranked to begin with, but thats a different story

nutterlyattled
November 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I dont think you can really say a schedule is truely unfair, all caa team north and south have a good chance to be good, and bad. no offense maine, never thought id see you in this possition this year. and noone thought umass would be as bad as they were.

the other thing is unh played delaware umass richmond jmu and marshall last year, they lost 3 and people are still saying we didnt deserve a spot in the playoffs

schedules are going to vary, it comes with being in a large division, but the commity is there to look at quality of wins, with a win over maine unh deserves to be in the playoffs

madisonfan87
November 20th, 2008, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=andy7171;1214695]You know what else Dukes fans do that is uncalled for? Purple Streamers xmadx

I'm probably the only JMU fan that doesn't care much for the streamers. When fans take them to away venues it just makes us look bad. Its bad enough at home games having to worry about getting clocked in the head with one while trying to watch a PAT. I can understand why away teams hate em so much. You have my sympathies.

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM

My bad, thought Richmond got the auto-bid last year and I was talking about JMU this year.

Still, are you really saying that the eight teams that UMass played those years made for a weaker conferene schedule than most other conferences?

89Hen
November 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM

2006 Toughest Schedule
3. Massachusetts

2007 Toughest Schedule
9. Massachusetts

BigApp
November 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
While it might make it easier to get a conference championship by missing some of the better teams in the opposite division.... Why would anyone outside of the CAA care?xconfusedx

As for not making the playoffs if they played the better teams,(like the rest of America),UNH did it last year.xnodx

thanks for bringing UNH into this. They make my point perfectly. Yes, they played the 3 top teams in the South and LOST 2 of them. They made the playoffs with that impressive win over Iona.

Had they played the bottom 3, they may have garnered your auto bid or even a seed.

BigApp
November 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
2006 Toughest Schedule
3. Massachusetts

2007 Toughest Schedule
9. Massachusetts

amazing what a couple of runs into the playoffs will do for SOS, eh?

charliej
November 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
thanks for bringing UNH into this. They make my point perfectly. Yes, they played the 3 top teams in the South and LOST 2 of them. They made the playoffs with that impressive win over Iona.

Had they played the bottom 3, they may have garnered your auto bid or even a seed.

I thought your point was that if they played all the top teams they wouldn't even make the playoffs.xconfusedx

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM

You still haven't answered this question:

Do you think that the eight team schedule played by CAA teams (even the "easy" ones) is somehow weaker than another conference's schedule?

If so, I'd like specific reasons, other than just "yes." I wll grant you that some years the CAA schedule might be weaker than the SoCon schedule, but that's about it.

JMU Newbill
November 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
I still think JMU had the easiest schedule ever this year. We should have scheduled the upper tier of the SoCon as all of our out of conference games, and added another FBS game. If we eliminated our bye weeks and played a double header one weekend, we could fit in 14 games.

Ok, hopefully everyone can appreciate the sarcasm. Enough with the stats and rankings.... I made the mistake of making that argument earlier too.

No one in the SoCon or in the CAA has an easy schedule. They just don't. There's no way you can say any team that plays that many high caliber teams per year has an easy schedule, regardless of whether you are in the SoCon or CAA.

89Hen
November 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
2006 Toughest Schedule
3. Massachusetts

2007 Toughest Schedule
9. Massachusetts

Nice try.

2006 Toughest Schedule
3. Massachusetts
6. Maine

Maine played the same CAA schedule as UMass and did not benefit from making the playoffs.

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM
Why do you care? Your team has won three straight I-AA/FCS titles and is in good position to win a fourth, and you are worried about CAA scheduling?xoopsx

GannonFan
November 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM

Didn't Elon play the best 2 teams in the SoCon this year (Appy St and Wofford), lost to both of them by a combined 43 points, lost a home game to the 3rd place team in the CAA South, yet still is a win against lowly Liberty away from making the playoffs? I thought round robin play was supposed to prevent that kind of thing from happening???? :p :p :p :p :p

URMite
November 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
"If every team in the CAA played each other....." and 3 or 4 OOC

...then there would be a lot less CAA teams with 3 or less losses. :D

In general the unbalanced schedule hasn't been a huge shift. Similar to if you could skip ASU & Furman in the SoCon by playing Wofford & GSU twice each this year. xcoffeex

BigApp
November 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Nice try.

2006 Toughest Schedule
3. Massachusetts
6. Maine

Maine played the same CAA schedule as UMass and did not benefit from making the playoffs.

you also both played highly rated I-A teams too. xpeacex

BigApp
November 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Why do you care?

b/c we're also the 3x defending A-10/CAA champs!! xlolx

BigApp
November 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
You still haven't answered this question:

Do you think that the eight team schedule played by CAA teams (even the "easy" ones) is somehow weaker than another conference's schedule?

I guess I missed you asking the 'question' originally...

It could be weaker or tougher, depending on which 8 teams you play! Just this season, would it have been better to have played URI/Northeastern/Hofstra (who have won a combined 3-18 in conference games) or UNH/Maine/UMA on the other side?

UNH and Maine individually have won as many games as ALL 3 of those combined (8)

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I guess I missed you asking the 'question' originally...

It could be weaker or tougher, depending on which 8 teams you play! Just this season, would it have been better to have played URI/Northeastern/Hofstra (who have won a combined 3-18 in conference games) or UNH/Maine/UMA on the other side?

UNH and Maine individually have won as many games as ALL 3 of those combined (8)

You have to use the right groupings
North a - UMass, Maine, Hofstra
North b - UNH, URI, Northeastern

South a - JMU, Delaware, Richmond
South b - WM, Nova, Towson

Also, even if you played, URI/NE/Hofstra (impossible but just assuming), you still have to play the other 5 South teams so don't ignore that.

BigApp
November 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
You have to use the right groupings
North a - UMass, Maine, Hofstra
North b - UNH, URI, Northeastern

ok, which 'grouping' would you prefer?

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
ok, which 'grouping' would you prefer?

North B this year but you also have to play 5 of JMU, Richmond, Nova, WM, Towson and Delaware (You can't play against yourself) so with either group, you are playing a tough in conference schedule.

So in my preference, a team would have to play 3 or 4 playoff teams from this year.

If you use the other group, you have to play 2 or 3 playoff teams plus 2 others with an above 500 overall record (including an 8 win team not going to the playoffs).