PDA

View Full Version : Last year this time.....

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Did anyone predict that the A-10 would send a record 4 teams into the play-offs.... then did anyone guess that they would send all four of those teams to the quarterfinals another first in history.....and did anyone in their right mind predict that JMU would win all four on the road to win it all...another first in history and finally did anyone think that JMU had a chance against Montana?

The point of this post is, the Selection Committe meets for a reason, to select the best 8 teams to complete a 16 field of play-offs teams...and since I last checked, they have not met yet. Each year they do something unpredicatable to the previous year. Once the 8 autbids are formed, they can do what ever they want to do with the final 8 teams, within but not limited to the proposed criteria. I'm not saying who will make it or who won't....so if they were to chose JMU over some of your favorites, there would not be a thing you could do about it. I personally feel that the Dukes are all but mathmatically out of the play-offs and I'm not holding my breath. But to count out a power school, from a power conference for a 2nd MEAC or (non auto-bid) team is a bit shallow at best! They didn't change the verbiage this year for nothing.....the criteria literature gives them a lot of leaverage in their final decisions...and if the best 14 are picked, the final two could come down to other intangibles rather than win/losses, but money/fan support.

rokamortis
November 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Anything is possible. Some more so than others.

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM
reminds me of the UNI fans crowing for a bid last year, ain't gonna happen, nice run last year JMU :)

umassfan
November 13th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Lets put it this way... if UMass looses to Hofstra(which I dont expect us to do) then we will get in over JMU anyway(if a 7-4 team were to get in).

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Lets put it this way... if UMass looses to Hofstra(which I dont expect us to do) then we will get in over JMU anyway(if a 7-4 team were to get in).
There are a bunch of 7-4 teams who would be ahead of JMU

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
It helped that the socon had a bad year last year. App State was 6-5 and is a usual playoff contender. The Big Sky wasn't too hot last year with just one at large, and neither was the gateway. With CCU, SCSU, and Cal Poly all making good cases, I don't see how you could get 4 in again. With CCU's win over JMU, I don't think JMU would get in over them. the A10 dominated the playoffs this past year, that's for sure, but I have a feeling this time around it'll be different. When the teams are selected one week from today, there will be at least two teams who you can make a decent case for but did not get in.

umassfan
November 13th, 2005, 03:38 PM
There are a bunch of 7-4 teams who would be ahead of JMU
I am aware of that... And I mentioned the one I knew due to their head to head game.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for not bringing up where SHSU was and where they've gone! ;)

We'll be back next year, fellas!

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Also I think most IAA fans DID think that the A-10 would get four teams last year.

DB_Atlantic10
November 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Your response is so certain....this isn't about tie breakers or head to head... I saw the stands at UMass, I hardly doubt their 7-4 would beat out anyone's....you can't fill your home stands, I hardly see you as a money making travel squad. The final field is not all about the win/losses...

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Here is an article from the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768120023&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

Two-game winning streak has Dukes hoping for a playoff berth

By Mike Harris

HARRISONBURG - James Madison University's football team needs Villanova coach Andy Talley on the Division I-AA playoff selection committee.

JMU improved to 6-4 yesterday by beating Talley's Wildcats 28-13 in an Atlantic 10 game before 10,984 at Bridgeforth Stadium. The Dukes did it with what coach Mickey Matthews called his team's best offensive effort of the season, an effort that included 436 total yards and a pair of 100-plus rushing efforts from Maurice Fenner (127) and Alvin Banks (114).

But the defending I-AA champion Dukes are a long shot to make the playoffs, even if they beat Towson at home Saturday in their regular-season finale to finish at 7-4.

"They're as good a team as they were last year, they just haven't won the close ones. They're a playoff team - whether they make it or not," Talley said. "They might not.

"That's what a playoff team looks like and I think we played very hard against them.

"I think they belong in the playoffs because they have a pedigree. They're an Atlantic 10 football team. They're defending national champions. Their 7-4 record would be comparable to anybody's 8-3 record anywhere else because of the league we play in. The only thing that could hurt them a little bit, candidly, is the Division II game on their schedule."

JMU opened its season with a victory over Lock Haven. Should it beat Towson, it will close with a three-game winning streak that followed a three-game losing streak. JMU's four losses have been by a total of 16 points. The Dukes are 4-3 in the A-10.

Matthews isn't willing to close the door on a return to the playoffs yet. In fact, he's confident enough to say, "I think we're going to be there," if the Dukes win against Towson.

"I don't make that decision . . . we know we have to win next week. When you realize we've lost four games on basically the last play of the game, that's some pretty tall talking.

"We feel like we'll be at the top of the list of the 7-4 teams. Whether they take any, I don't know. At some point in time, there's going to be a 7-4 team in the playoffs."

Said Mike Parham, the Dukes' junior offensive guard from Petersburg, "We're still fighting. Until they tell us we're not going to the playoffs, we'll keep on fighting. If we get in, they better be ready for us. We're coming."

The game had the makings of a serious shootout early. Villanova (2-5, 4-6) ended up with 401 total yards, 363 coming in the air.

Frank Jankowski completed 30 of 47 passes.

Things turned JMU's way early in the second quarter. Villanova led 10-7 after one quarter and forced a turnover when Raymond Hines fumbled on the first possession of the second quarter. But the Wildcats gave it back when Justin Barnes intercepted Jankowski and returned the ball 25 yards to Villanova's 23.

The Dukes ended up scoring when Justin Rascati threw three yards to Casime Harris.

Villanova's first play after the kickoff resulted in a fumble by Martin Gibson that JMU's Clint Kent recovered on the Dukes' 41.

Fenner eventually scored from three yards out.

The Wildcats got a late second-quarter field goal from Joe Marcoux but couldn't score in the second half.

Villanova came into the game with 24 turnovers for the season.

"[Those turnovers] are when we got the upper hand," Matthews said. "That's been Villanova's mode. They've just struggled with those turnovers. Every game Villanova has played, they have played well. They've just turned the ball over."

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM
JMU has zero chance of making the playoffs. That's just reality. Hopefully for them they recover next year and get back towards the top of the A-10.

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 04:48 PM
JMU has zero chance of making the playoffs. That's just reality. Hopefully for them they recover next year and get back towards the top of the A-10.

I do not think JMU will make the playoffs but they are not too far away from the top of the A10 as a win over Towson this upcoming weekend would give the Dukes fourth place overall in the 12-member conference.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Will JMU even have 7 D-I wins?

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Will JMU even have 7 D-I wins?
No

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM
"I think they belong in the playoffs because they have a pedigree. They're an Atlantic 10 football team. They're defending national champions. Their 7-4 record would be comparable to anybody's 8-3 record anywhere else because of the league we play in. The only thing that could hurt them a little bit, candidly, is the Division II game on their schedule."

I am going to have to call BS on that,

1. JMU hasn't played a IA
2. A-10 is a good league but is not the juggernaut of last year, there are 4-5 leagues as good as the A-10 this year

Coopernh
November 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM
If Umass loses to Hofstra, wouldn't they take Hofstra at 7-4 over a Umass at 7-4?? Hofstra lost to Furman & Richmond both in overtime & #1 New Hampshire by 3. They would also have 7 Div. 1 Wins. (JMU Doesn't)

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM
:hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

JMU still likes to have fun and party!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

:anim_chai :anim_chai

So that right there guarantees a number one seed in the playoffs for JMU for the rest of time! ;)

:dizzy:

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 05:22 PM
If Umass loses to Hofstra, wouldn't they take Hofstra at 7-4 over a Umass at 7-4?? Hofstra lost to Furman & Richmond both in overtime & #1 New Hampshire by 3. They would also have 7 Div. 1 Wins. (JMU Doesn't)

Okay I better try to get back to the real world after that last post. ;)
I do not know how this would figure into anything but JMU absolutely trounced Hofstra on Long Island beating them 42 to 10! :cool:

Tribe4SF
November 13th, 2005, 05:27 PM
If UMass and Richmond both lose this week, they would both be stronger 7-4 candidates than JMU.

The committee looks first at Div. I record, and would have two 7-4 teams versus JMU's 6-4. In addition, both teams beat JMU.

Attendance may get you a home game once you're in the field, but it won't get you in over other teams. There's also the matter of what kind of bid JMU submitted. They draw alot of students and sold only 3300 season tickets, so it's hard to say what their revenue projection would be. Remember, students are gone for those first round games. It's not really about attendance, it's about revenue.

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
If UMass and Richmond both lose this week, they would both be stronger 7-4 candidates than JMU.

The committee looks first at Div. I record, and would have two 7-4 teams versus JMU's 6-4. In addition, both teams beat JMU.

Attendance may get you a home game once you're in the field, but it won't get you in over other teams. There's also the matter of what kind of bid JMU submitted. They draw alot of students and sold only 3300 season tickets, so it's hard to say what their revenue projection would be. Remember, students are gone for those first round games. It's not really about attendance, it's about revenue.

If JMU received a miracle bid then it will not be a home game. JMU traveled quite well as all playoff games were away from Harrisonburg last year so maybe that might be something the committee could consider as both Appalachian State and Hampton are geographically close and should receive home games for the first round.

igo4uni
November 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM
:hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

JMU still likes to have fun and party!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

:anim_chai :anim_chai

So that right there guarantees a number one seed in the playoffs for JMU for the rest of time! ;)

:dizzy:

In my expert opinion, having fun and partying are the 2 most important factors in determining a playoff team!! :) :) :D :p :p :)

Woo Hoo!!

peace

igo4uni

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM
In my expert opinion, having fun and partying are the 2 most important factors in determining a playoff team!! :) :) :D :p :p :)

Woo Hoo!!

peace

igo4uni

JMU needs you on the selection committee! We could setup a JMU at Northern Iowa first round matchup! They have similar colors, and the Dukes would be happy at getting into the playoffs!

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2005, 08:34 PM
DOOGIE....LET IT GO LAD.............LET IT GO!......NO EXTRA DUTY..FO' DUH DAWGS DIS YEAR..........FOLD DUH TENT......RETREAT......NO CHATTY FO' YA'LL!.....AWK!

JMU Duke Dog
November 13th, 2005, 08:51 PM
DOOGIE....LET IT GO LAD.............LET IT GO!......NO EXTRA DUTY..FO' DUH DAWGS DIS YEAR..........FOLD DUH TENT......RETREAT......NO CHATTY FO' YA'LL!.....AWK!

Don't worry Mr. Chicken we are just having fun for another week before 16 others teams have the real fun.

DB_Atlantic10
November 14th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Well the Dukes could use the rest.....everyone is banged up from playing on that awful turf, hopefully they can use that bid money to pull up the turf as planned and make a run next year with most of the players returning......

blur2005
November 14th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I am unconcerned about all of this because there is no way we deserve to go to the playoffs based on our performances this year. If we the close games the way we did last year, we're at least 9-2. That's been the difference. Next year I fully expect to win those close ones like last year and go 9-2. Then we'll back where we belong with a senior QB, a two headed senior-RB monster, and a deep receiving corp. We'll also have a lot of people with game experience back. Next year could be another good year for us, so as Mr. Chicken said, I'm pitching my tent at the Next-Year campsite, and taking the prime spot next to the campfire.