PDA

View Full Version : C'mon Liberty!!!

Rob Iola
November 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Not that I have anything against Elon, but a Liberty win would sure make life interesting for the committee...

Sly Fox
November 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
We'll be happy to comply. It'd be fun to see what thought processes win out in the committee meeting.

AppAlum2003
November 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
It would be very interesting if the Flamers won... but I've got to pull for Elon.

carney2
November 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Not that I have anything against Elon, but a Liberty win would sure make life interesting for the committee...

I'm betting that ship has sailed - and Presby pushed it out of the harbor.

danefan
November 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I agree, especially considering YSU's downward fall. Had YSU turned it around after the Liberty loss than Liberty would have a better chance.

But as of right now, they have zero wins to hang their hats on and on top of that they have a bad (relatively speaking) loss to Lafayette and a really really bad loss to Presby. Not looking good unless they blow Elon out, and even then they'll need a lot of other things to happen.

james_lawfirm
November 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Stranger things have happened on any given Saturday, however, I don't see Liberty beating Elon. Based on what I saw in Boone, Elon is the entire package. Special teams, defense & offense, they have no weak links.

Rob Iola
November 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Not so much for Liberty, but rather hope/interest for a bunch of bubble teams that would otherwise be frozen out if Elon gets a bid...

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The ship hasn't sailed. I'm not saying that Liberty is in a win and in situation. Far from it. But from everything I'm hearing, the Flames are still a serious part of the conversation.

PhoenixPhan06
November 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
After our strong showing in Boone last weekend, our guys won't let another shot at the playoffs slip away. Our late season collapse last year is still pretty fresh in our minds and we'll show Liberty we have what it takes on Saturday.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
The ship hasn't sailed. I'm not saying that Liberty is in a win and in situation. Far from it. But from everything I'm hearing, the Flames are still a serious part of the conversation.

Even if they win they will have 8 D-I wins correct? I think they are toast.

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Yes, they'll be 8-2 in DI games. Conventional wisdom says they are toast. But conventional wisdom didn't have Eastern Illinois making the field last year, either. I'm only going on what I'm hearing from people who are close to committee members.

If Liberty wins, it will probably need New Hampshire and Richmond to win as well to have a decent shot.

jcmanson
November 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Our late season collapse last year is still pretty fresh in our minds and we'll show Liberty we have what it takes on Saturday.

As is 9/22/07 fresh in our players' minds.

appstate1998
November 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
After our strong showing in Boone last weekend, our guys won't let another shot at the playoffs slip away. Our late season collapse last year is still pretty fresh in our minds and we'll show Liberty we have what it takes on Saturday.

Stranger things have happened to deserving teams. Just go back to 2002 Wofford only had 3 losses and one was to a very good Maryland team...and they beat Georgia Southern and Appalachian State that year and still didn't get in. (granted they did lose to VMI almost like Liberty losing to Presbyterian)

th0m
November 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It'll be good for the CAA, that's for sure!

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Yes, they'll be 8-2 in DI games. Conventional wisdom says they are toast. But conventional wisdom didn't have Eastern Illinois making the field last year, either. I'm only going on what I'm hearing from people who are close to committee members.

If Liberty wins, it will probably need New Hampshire and Richmond to win as well to have a decent shot.

I just dont see a case for Liberty. If Lafayette beats Lehigh and Colgate loses to HC they will both be 8-3. Lafayette beat Liberty and two of their loses would be to0 the likely Ivy champ in Harvard and a close loss to potential Patriot Champ HC. I am not advocating that Lafayette deserves a bid in this scenario, but I am saying I just dont see how Liberty would deserve one more. In this scenario Colgate would also have a beef as they beat Lafayette.

JMU Newbill
November 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
What a prize for Liberty..... work hard, play hard, win..... you MIGHT get a chance to play JMU in the first round.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
What a prize for Liberty..... work hard, play hard, win..... you MIGHT get a chance to play JMU in the first round.

I think that's an interesting point IF (and it's a big IF) Liberty wins. What sort of factor will their proximity to JMU be. If teams are a toss-up, would the committee go by location? I know "officially" they will put in the best 16, but it would be easy to throw Liberty in there and ship them to Harrisonburg.

jcmanson
November 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
No, the prize will be: you will have the most wins in school history. You will have beaten a top 15 team. You will have a shot at the school's first ever playoff appearance.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I saw Liberty twice on TV and they look pretty good. I have not seen Elon live and they clearly are very talented, but I have never believed Pete Lembo to be a big-game coach go back to his Lehigh days.

PhoenixPhan06
November 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I saw Liberty twice on TV and they look pretty good. I have not seen Elon live and they clearly are very talented, but I have never believed Pete Lembo to be a big-game coach go back to his Lehigh days.

You can't spell bELieve in Pete LembO Now without ELON

th0m
November 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM

If you don't take care of business you can spell the field of 16 without Elon ;)

SuperJon
November 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I think that's an interesting point IF (and it's a big IF) Liberty wins. What sort of factor will their proximity to JMU be. If teams are a toss-up, would the committee go by location? I know "officially" they will put in the best 16, but it would be easy to throw Liberty in there and ship them to Harrisonburg.

We're getting into HUGE if's right now, but we've put a bid in to host, so there's a chance we could host because we've got the money to throw around. We have to get in before we can think of that though.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
We're getting into HUGE if's right now, but we've put a bid in to host, so there's a chance we could host because we've got the money to throw around. We have to get in before we can think of that though.

I think if you guys get in (and I agree that it is a big IF), you will come to JMU. They will almost automatically pair you with us (the top seeds get paired before anybody else). I don't think your bid would matter.

SuperJon
November 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I think the same thing. That's why I said we were getting into huge if's. We really don't know what will happen.

appstate1998
November 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
If you don't take care of business you can spell the field of 16 without Elon ;)

is it kinda like chronigen?

Rob Iola
November 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Ok, I'm sorry, but that's just lame...

Rep to you to make up for daHatin'...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hard to deny the Flames a spot if they beat Elon. IMO.

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Liberty has a great case for the playoffs. 1) We have 7 Divison 1 wins. 2)We have domainated the Big South the past 2 seasons and have went undeafeated in league during these 2 seasons. 3) Last year we had 6 D-1 wins and got snubbed because we didnt "play any good teams". Wins are wins and should be respected. People need to relalize that the Big South has good teams and that they have played good teams all year long. Come Saturday and Liberty wins , they deserve to be in the playoffs. BOTTOM LINE!!!!!

SuperJon
November 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM
We didn't get snubbed last year. We didn't have seven Division I wins and the committee stuck by that standard. The second UNH was announced (in the first pairing) everyone knew Liberty had no chance.

gabe01
November 18th, 2008, 12:35 AM

I betcha that stadium will be rockin'. Arguably the biggest game in their D1 history.

ToTheLeft
November 18th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I betcha that stadium will be rockin'. Arguably the biggest game in their D1 history.

It will actually be our least attended game of the year, more than likely.

40 degrees and a ton of kids home for Thanksgiving break...

Syntax Error
November 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Come Saturday and Liberty wins , they deserve to be in the playoffs. BOTTOM LINE!!!!!Agreed. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Liberty has a great case for the playoffs. 1) We have 7 Divison 1 wins. 2)We have domainated the Big South the past 2 seasons and have went undeafeated in league during these 2 seasons. 3) Last year we had 6 D-1 wins and got snubbed because we didnt "play any good teams". Wins are wins and should be respected. People need to relalize that the Big South has good teams and that they have played good teams all year long. Come Saturday and Liberty wins , they deserve to be in the playoffs. BOTTOM LINE!!!!!

So far your best win is....3-8 Youngstown State

You've also lost to Lafayette, who worst case scenario sees at 7-4 and 4th place in the Patriot League. Yeah, you played some decent teams, but unless Colgate or Holy Cross can hang their hat on beating the team that beat Liberty to make an at-large case (which I don't think they can), then Liberty's got to be pretty far down the list

I'm betting their name is getting tossed around, but the Flames would need a few teams to go down to see their name in the final 16 xtwocentsx

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I have heard from people that are close to the Selection Committee and they are saying that whoever wins Saturday will most likely get in with an At-large bid. If Liberty wins, they would stand at 10-2 with 8 Division 1 wins. If Elon wins, they would stand at 9-3 and also with 8 Division 1 wins. Now, where it gets tricky is that Elon has lost to some good quality football teams (Richmond, Wofford and Appalachian State) all but one of these games where at played at Elon. That means that Elon hasn't been able to take care of business on its home-field , where they with the team of its caliber should have. Elon has constantly been ranked in the Top 25 all season and respectably so but when you cant win those big games at home that hurts when it comes to playoffs and all the factors thrown in. Now, looking at Liberty, there only 2 losses come to the hands of Lafayette and lowly Presbyterian College. Lafayette has always been a power in the mighty Patriot League in the last 4 years. This game was a eye opener to many how crappy Liberty's secondary has been at times. Lafayette rush defense was ranked in the top 5 in I-AA when this game was played and played a huge role in their "upset" win at Williams Stadium. The loss to Presbyterian College was a "FLUKE" as to what our team is capable of doing. This loss is what I believe could come back to haunt us when the Selection committee looks at our season. Sorry for such a long post.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I have heard from people that are close to the Selection Committee and they are saying that whoever wins Saturday will most likely get in with an At-large bid. If Liberty wins, they would stand at 10-2 with 8 Division 1 wins. If Elon wins, they would stand at 9-3 and also with 8 Division 1 wins. Now, where it gets tricky is that Elon has lost to some good quality football teams (Richmond, Wofford and Appalachian State) all but one of these games where at played at Elon. That means that Elon hasn't been able to take care of business on its home-field , where they with the team of its caliber should have. Elon has constantly been ranked in the Top 25 all season and respectably so but when you cant win those big games at home that hurts when it comes to playoffs and all the factors thrown in. Now, looking at Liberty, there only 2 losses come to the hands of Lafayette and lowly Presbyterian College. Lafayette has always been a power in the mighty Patriot League in the last 4 years. This game was a eye opener to many how crappy Liberty's secondary has been at times. Lafayette rush defense was ranked in the top 5 in I-AA when this game was played and played a huge role in their "upset" win at Williams Stadium. The loss to Presbyterian College was a "FLUKE" as to what our team is capable of doing. This loss is what I believe could come back to haunt us when the Selection committee looks at our season. Sorry for such a long post.

First, Elon would be 9-3 with 9 D-I wins if they win, not 8 wins.

Second, not winning at home makes no difference if you aren't going to get a home playoff game anyway.

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Ya, it does because the Selection Committee looks at those big games at home. I know cause one of my family's friends is on the committee, he so himself . There are so many things that they look at.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Ya, it does because the Selection Committee looks at those big games at home. I know cause one of my family's friends is on the committee, he so himself . There are so many things that they look at.

And I am telling you you're wrong that this is as weighted as you are making it out to be. You are right, there are so many things they look at. Home losses against big teams. Give me a break. A good road win means much more than a home loss to a good team.

But hey, keep believing it if you want to.

Appstate29
November 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM
no offense to Liberty, but I don't think they are going to be close in this game. Elon by 3 TDs or more. Don't be fooled by the 16 points they put up last saturday, the Weather was not conducive to passing offenses. Elon is playing for a tangible spot in the playoffs. If they win, they are in period. Liberty is hoping against hope they get in with a win.

JMU Newbill
November 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I agree with Appstate29..... Elon.... we will be seeing you in Harrisonburg on November 29th.

Liberty.... look at it this way.... a strong showing two years in a row can go a long way, even if you don't make the playoffs. Next year, if you run through your conference again, it will be pretty hard for you to be left out of the field of 16.

Dukie95
November 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I don't think Liberty's in even with a win. Their best win at that point would be Elon, who wouldn't be in the playoffs themselves. Liberty will have no wins against any playoff teams, and a couple pretty bad losses. Any bubble CAA team (Maine, W&M) would be more deserving at that point.

A playoff team from the Big South needs to sweep that weak conference. You just don't lose to PU and expect to be in the field. Sorry. I can forgive a loss to Lafayette, not PU.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Then I guess it's confimed-- the selection comittee is a bunch of morons. Where you won or lost shouldnt mean squat.

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think Liberty's in even with a win. Their best win at that point would be Elon, who wouldn't be in the playoffs themselves. Liberty will have no wins against any playoff teams, and a couple pretty bad losses. Any bubble CAA team (Maine, W&M) would be more deserving at that point.

A playoff team from the Big South needs to sweep that weak conference. You just don't lose to PU and expect to be in the field. Sorry. I can forgive a loss to Lafayette, not PU.

Man I sure am glad we didn't lose to PU xlolx . It's PC, and we did sweep the conference - 2 years in a row now. PC is not in the Big South this year, they are an independent.

The Cats
November 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Even thought I'm NO fan of E-Lone, conference loyalty will have to rule the day (plus they are a MUCH better team) ....

Fried birds 49
Flickers - 17

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
no offense to Liberty, but I don't think they are going to be close in this game. Elon by 3 TDs or more. Don't be fooled by the 16 points they put up last saturday, the Weather was not conducive to passing offenses. Elon is playing for a tangible spot in the playoffs. If they win, they are in period. Liberty is hoping against hope they get in with a win.

I'd be more than willing to put a wager on that if you want to lay 21 points to LU.

Dukie95
November 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Man I sure am glad we didn't lose to PU xlolx . It's PC, and we did sweep the conference - 2 years in a row now. PC is not in the Big South this year, they are an independent.

I stand corrected, but that's still a bad loss, and Liberty's out.

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I stand corrected, but that's still a bad loss, and Liberty's out.

That was the same PC team Elon beat 66-12 xsmiley_wix

Black and Gold Express
November 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm still trying to find anything close to a good win on Liberty's resume. But on the flip side, should Liberty make it in I guess I can't say the OVC and MEAC champs will have the smallest chance to win a playoff game this year...

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I'm still trying to find anything close to a good win on Liberty's resume. But on the flip side, should Liberty make it in I guess I can't say the OVC and MEAC champs will have the smallest chance to win a playoff game this year...

You won't find it yet. They only chance Liberty has of even being a name on the board in the committee room is if they beat Elon.

If they don't, they have ZERO good wins, a loss to a PL team, and a really bad in-conference loss.

Dukie95
November 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
and a really bad in-conference loss.

See, I'm not the only one that thought PC was in the Big South. xthumbsupx

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
See, I'm not the only one that thought PC was in the Big South. xthumbsupx

Uhhh....they are, aren't they?

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=timesunion&page=cfoot2/conf/bigsouth/confsched.aspx?season=2008,sc=AF,conf=Big%20South

They are in the conference, but aren't eligible for a conference championship right? Same as being in the conference for purposes of this discussion.

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
They did not play a full conference schedule. The Big South does not recognize as them as a conference member for football this year. Next year they will play a full conference schedule, and be included in the conference standings. However, they are not eligible for the playoffs until 2011. Officially, this year they are an independent.

It doesn't really matter if they are in the conference or not though. Bottom line is we lost to them, it's a REALLY bad loss, and if we don't make the playoffs that would be one of the reasons why.

Appstate29
November 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'd be more than willing to put a wager on that if you want to lay 21 points to LU.

I'll give you liberty +20. Avatar wager, you win I'll put up a Liberty Avatar until the start of next year. I win, you do it with ASU

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Deal

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
All you haters , listen up come Saturday LIBERTY U FLAMES will be in the playoffs with a win over Elon!!!!! BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retro
November 18th, 2008, 11:17 AM
2 SLC teams will get in before 2 PL teams or Liberty.. That is if Texas State and Mcneese both win on saturday..

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 11:17 AM
All you haters , listen up come Saturday LIBERTY U FLAMES will be in the playoffs with a win over Elon!!!!! BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that insightful addition to the conversation. It has nothing to do with hating on Liberty and everything to do with looking at the past and predicting the future.

Liberty doesn't have the resume that the past would indicate would give them a chance at an at-large.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM

I disagree. Please follow the logic on my prior post for the reason

"I just dont see a case for Liberty. If Lafayette beats Lehigh and Colgate loses to HC they will both be 8-3. Lafayette beat Liberty and two of their loses would be to the likely Ivy champ in Harvard and a close loss to potential Patriot Champ HC. I am not advocating that Lafayette deserves a bid in this scenario, but I am saying I just dont see how Liberty would deserve one more. In this scenario Colgate would also have a beef as they beat Lafayette"

Even if Liberty beats Elon there will be teams at 8-3 that will have a very good case for the playoffs. If Liberty gets in it will be because the commitee feels bad for them.

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the committee will let teams in based on their feelings

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the committee will let teams in based on their feelings

You have no other case for the playoffs. If Lafayette and Liberty both win this week both teams will have the same number of D-I wins and Lafayette was victorious over Liberty. Please explain why you feel Liberty should get a bid over Lafayette if both win? I simply dont see a logical case for that. ( Also please note I am not advocating a bid for Lafayette, dont think they really deserve it)

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
You have no other case for the playoffs. If Lafayette and Liberty both win this week both teams will have the same number of D-I wins and Lafayette was victorious over Liberty. Please explain why you feel Liberty should get a bid over Lafayette if both win? I simply dont see a logical case for that. ( Also please note I am not advocating a bid for Lafayette, dont think they really deserve it)

That's exactly the issue here. When you look at Liberty's resume on its face (including a win this weekend) you can come to the conclusion that maybe it has potential for an at-large. But you have to look at that resume compared to other teams in the running. There are teams that will end up with better resumes than Liberty even if Liberty wins.

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
We derserve a bid this year, it pathtic that you guys think we are weak cause we will come to any house and put the business to them.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
We derserve a bid this year, it pathtic that you guys think we are weak cause we will come to any house and put the business to them.

Please use logic per my prior post to explain. Can you read? I am still waiting for a Liberty Flamer to give me a good reason why they should get the nod over an 8 win Lafayette or 8 win Colgate should they lose to HC.

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Right......any house but for Lafayette and Presby?

Do you see where your argument falls apart?

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
That's exactly the issue here. When you look at Liberty's resume on its face (including a win this weekend) you can come to the conclusion that maybe it has potential for an at-large. But you have to look at that resume compared to other teams in the running. There are teams that will end up with better resumes than Liberty even if Liberty wins.

I don't disagree with any of you. I know we have to win Saturday, and then do alot of praying. xsmiley_wix

SuperJon
November 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM

We were a conference champion going through the conference undefeated. We won two non-conference games on the road. That's the case.

jcmanson
November 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Please use logic per my prior post to explain. Can you read? I am still waiting for a Liberty Flamer to give me a good reason why they should get the nod over an 8 win Lafayette or 8 win Colgate should they lose to HC.

Liberty would be conference champions (granted a weak conference) and the win over Elon would be a better win than either Lafayette or Colgate has.

Some people will disagree with that, but IF they make it this could be the rationale the committee would be using.

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Um....didn't you lose AT PRESBY?

SuperJon
November 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
The reason the conference champions thing is important is because our conference meets all the requirements for an auto-bid except being together for two years.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
We were a conference champion going through the conference undefeated. We won two non-conference games on the road. That's the case.

Ok, those help the situation-- Thank You. The outright Big South Championship is a bit questionable due to the Presbt situation. They are in the lague but dont count for league games or whatever. I assume those non-conference wins are Youngstown and Western Carolina. They are poor teams from good conferences, but they looked pretty good on paper entering the season.

Ok-- I will give you the conference champ part is a valid point to be discussed, but I still dont think it changes the fact that a team that beat you wont be getting a bid with the same amount of D-I wins.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Liberty would be conference champions (granted a weak conference) and the win over Elon would be a better win than either Lafayette or Colgate has.

Some people will disagree with that, but IF they make it this could be the rationale the committee would be using.

But Colgate beat Lafayette who beat Liberty who beat Elon. Therefore Colgate should get an auto if they lose this weekend.

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
The reason the conference champions thing is important is because our conference meets all the requirements for an auto-bid except being together for two years.

That is a valid point.......

gabe01
November 18th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Not so much for Liberty, but rather hope/interest for a bunch of bubble teams that would otherwise be frozen out if Elon gets a bid...

It would certainly make our lives more intereting but we also need Maine, W&M, and Furman to lose. Go Bison!

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM

So does the PFL, but that's not helping them get an at-large.

Meeting all of the requiremetns for an auto-bid means nothing IMO. It says nothing about the strength of a conference. There is no indication that had the Big South been eligible this year they would have gotten an AQ over one of the existing 8 AQ conferences.

The conference championship means very little, IMO, when it comes to at-large prospects.

It of course means great things to players and fans. And is a great accomplishment.

gabe01
November 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Even if they win they will have 8 D-I wins correct? I think they are toast.

Liberty has a had a season they should be proud of but there have only been 3 teams in recent history that made the playoffs in a non auto bid conference and quite frankly, they had MUCH more impressive resume's than Liberty.

Florida Atlantic in 2003 beat D1-A Middle Tennessee State, almost beat Central Florida, and beat 2 Gateway teams and 2 Southland teams. Florida Atlantic went deep into the playoffs.

Cal Poly in 2005. Went 4-1 vs the Big Sky, narrowly losing to Montana. They handed a ranked NDSU team a blowout loss, still the worst in their FCS history. Poly went on to beat Montana in the playoffs.

Coastal Carolina in 2006 had quality wins over Wofford, Furman, and blew out South Carolina State. They were the weakest team in a non auto bid to get into the playoffs and it showed since they got blown out in the first round.

If Liberty would beat Elon, they would only have 1 quality win on the season. That does not compare to the above teams. Liberty has beaten 2-D2 teams, a 3-8 Western Carolina, a 3-8 Youngstown, a 5-6 Stony Brook, a 3-4 Virgina Military, and a 5-6 Gardner Web. Their 2 biggest wins came over a 6-5 Costal Carolina and Charleston Southern. Got blown out by a 7-3 Lafeyette team at home and lost to a 4-7 Presbyterian by 14.

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
We lost 31-28 to Presbyterian.

ToTheLeft
November 18th, 2008, 12:28 PM
We lost to Presby by 3, and 14 points isn't a blowout. But way to blow things out of proportion, makes your argument more sound and valid.

gabe01
November 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM
We lost to Presby by 3, and 14 points isn't a blowout. But way to blow things out of proportion, makes your argument more sound and valid.

It was 35-14 after 3 quarters. Losing by 2 TD's at home is a blowout, IMO.

I'm not arguing against you. I just think the odds are against you. Those are facts I posted about the other teams that got in.

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
It doesn't matter by how much you lost to Presby by. It was a the loss that counts. A loss to a team that ZERO DI wins except for Liberty. ZERO!

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
We lost 31-28 to Presbyterian.

No offense, but that still doesn't make it any better!

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
No but you should ur facts straight before u quote something.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Are you alexale?? No. I'm seriuos. Are you?

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM
While I think the chances of Liberty winning this Saturday are good, I believe that we'll see Elon win. Elon has shown itself to be a good team and Liberty, like Coastal, has done extremely in a short amount of time and has an honest shot at making the committee members re think some things.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM

What the hell? Are you trying to say:

No but you should get ur facts straight before u quote something

jmufan999
November 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
ok, i skipped several pages because this is getting too long.

Liberty, if you get in, there is a 99.9% chance you'll go to JMU in Round 1.

assuming we beat Towson, we should be seeded #1. at that point, they'll look for the closest non-conference playoff team. obviously, that's Liberty.

it's very easy... you're either playing in Harrisonburg on 11/29, or you're watching from home. Based on how they pair the teams (seed 1-4 first, then go to geography... they won't even look at your bid because you'll already be headed to JMU). i hope that helps, sorry if it's repeating anything you guys have said. just wanted to clear that up.

luflame15
November 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I agree we will be going to JMU, i do know we did put a bid in but were never gonna get a home game for playoffs.

jmufan999
November 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I agree we will be going to JMU, i do know we did put a bid in but were never gonna get a home game for playoffs.

btw, i do think you guys have a real chance at Elon. we'll see how it goes, i'll definitely be pulling for you.

Let me ask you a few things about your team...

1. how well do you travel? meaning, do a lot of your fans go to away games in-state?
2. how is your rushing offense? how about your rushing defense?

i'd love a quick scouting report if you could give one. i'll give you the same about JMU if you want it.

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
btw, i do think you guys have a real chance at Elon. we'll see how it goes, i'll definitely be pulling for you.

1. how well do you travel? meaning, do a lot of your fans go to away games in-state?

i'd love a quick scouting report if you could give one. i'll give you the same about JMU if you want it.

Just to clarify, this game is AT Liberty. Last year, Liberty suffered a 42-14 defeat at Elon......so they're looking for a little revenge!

ToTheLeft
November 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
We travel pretty well in state, I am sure a game at HBurg would be pretty well attended.

I will spare you my biased scouting report, but let's just say that we have a good tandem of running backs with decent blocking for them, and a defense that contains well, but doesn't disrupt all that much.

danefan
November 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Is the game on FamNet? Which I just realized last weekend that I actually get! (I don't venture outside the HD channels on FIOS to often, but man there's a ton of channels on there).

jmufan999
November 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Just to clarify, this game is AT Liberty. Last year, Liberty suffered a 42-14 defeat at Elon......so they're looking for a little revenge!

ok, thanks for clarifying. wow, that is a bad loss. i'd like to see the game but that won't be happening.

PhoenixPhan06
November 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM

IMO, our attendance at home games is a joke. There's nothing that frustrates me more than to have anything less than a sellout at a 13,000 seat stadium at our home games. We've had some big home games this year (Richmond, Furman, Wofford, WCU for Homecoming) and not a single one was a sellout. The most attended game attracted somewhere in the 10,000-11,000 range. What a shame!

With that said, our fans do not travel well but hopefully that will change in the future with the back to back winning seasons that we've experienced under Lembo. Last weekend in Boone, we had around 500-600 fans in the house which has to be one of the most attended road games if not THE most. If the game is out of NC, then you can expect maybe a 100-200 fans most of them being family members if the matchup is exciting.

Our rushing offense has been the biggest surprise of the season offensively IMO. At the beginning of the season I was interested in what McCarty (New OC) would change and he has done nothing but great things by adding another dimension to our offense. IMO we can hurt teams just as much on the ground as in the air which has been a key to our success this season. We have a stable of capable RB's in Brandon Newsome (every down back/bruiser), Jamal Shuman (smaller change of pace back/speedster), AJ Harris (big play potential both running and catching the ball and is a good combo back) and Dontay Taylor (also capable of breaking one every now and then).

Our rushing defense is also improved from last year but depth is an issue if we have multiple injuries. IMO we played great against the run vs ASU last weekend and have shown stretches of dominance against the run throughout the season. The schemes Wofford ran against us ate us up all day and we had no clue how to stop them. Some of that can be attributed to the lack of experience in some key positions on our defense but overall, we have a solid front line and some real playmakers in our linebacking core and our secondary.

Hope this helps a bit

JMUOlejer
November 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
It's interesting to note that Liberty was scheduled to play JMU this season and JMU cancelled the game due to the fact that it was originally scheduled during their fall break weekend (which they later cancelled). How many people out there think we would be having this discussion if Liberty had traveled to Harrisonburg in October?

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 03:51 PM
It's interesting to note that Liberty was scheduled to play JMU this season and JMU cancelled the game due to the fact that it was originally scheduled during their fall break weekend (which they later cancelled). How many people out there think we would be having this discussion if Liberty had traveled to Harrisonburg in October?

That's a really speculative question. If Liberty plays in Harrisonburg, they probably lose, but what sort of experience would that give them building up to the season. Maybe they're more "on the ball" when they play Presby or Lafayette...We might not be having this conversation because they'd be in with their only losses (if they lost) would be JMU and Elon.

ElonPride
November 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM
IMO, our attendance at home games is a joke. There's nothing that frustrates me more than to have anything less than a sellout at a 13,000 seat stadium at our home games. We've had some big home games this year (Richmond, Furman, Wofford, WCU for Homecoming) and not a single one was a sellout. The most attended game attracted somewhere in the 10,000-11,000 range. What a shame!

With that said, our fans do not travel well but hopefully that will change in the future with the back to back winning seasons that we've experienced under Lembo. Last weekend in Boone, we had around 500-600 fans in the house which has to be one of the most attended road games if not THE most. If the game is out of NC, then you can expect maybe a 100-200 fans most of them being family members if the matchup is exciting.

Our rushing offense has been the biggest surprise of the season offensively IMO. At the beginning of the season I was interested in what McCarty (New OC) would change and he has done nothing but great things by adding another dimension to our offense. IMO we can hurt teams just as much on the ground as in the air which has been a key to our success this season. We have a stable of capable RB's in Brandon Newsome (every down back/bruiser), Jamal Shuman (smaller change of pace back/speedster), AJ Harris (big play potential both running and catching the ball and is a good combo back) and Dontay Taylor (also capable of breaking one every now and then).

Our rushing defense is also improved from last year but depth is an issue if we have multiple injuries. IMO we played great against the run vs ASU last weekend and have shown stretches of dominance against the run throughout the season. The schemes Wofford ran against us ate us up all day and we had no clue how to stop them. Some of that can be attributed to the lack of experience in some key positions on our defense but overall, we have a solid front line and some real playmakers in our linebacking core and our secondary.

Hope this helps a bit

Actually, a "sellout" at Rhodes is considered 11,250.

SuperJon
November 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
That's a really speculative question. If Liberty plays in Harrisonburg, they probably lose, but what sort of experience would that give them building up to the season. Maybe they're more "on the ball" when they play Presby or Lafayette...We might not be having this conversation because they'd be in with their only losses (if they lost) would be JMU and Elon.

We wouldn't have played Lafayette if we had the JMU game.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2008, 04:10 PM
We wouldn't have played Lafayette if we had the JMU game.

There you go. Even more proof that the season would be different. The loss to JMU would presumably not have been as bad as the one to Liberty.

SuperJon
November 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
So does the PFL, but that's not helping them get an at-large.

Meeting all of the requiremetns for an auto-bid means nothing IMO. It says nothing about the strength of a conference. There is no indication that had the Big South been eligible this year they would have gotten an AQ over one of the existing 8 AQ conferences.

The conference championship means very little, IMO, when it comes to at-large prospects.

Our conference is ranked higher in the GPI than two leagues with automatic bids. It was the same way last year. I think it's safe to say that's why a Big South championship means a lot more than the PFL championship.

elon77
November 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Our conference is ranked higher in the GPI than two leagues with automatic bids. It was the same way last year. I think it's safe to say that's why a Big South championship means a lot more than the PFL championship.

SuperJon, I watched a replay of the GW-Liberty game last night and one observation is that Liberty's OL is really big but a little slow. Elon's D ends are very quick and can put good pressure on QB's. What is your take. Also can your DB's stay with Elon's stable of WR's. I understand Jenning's is banged up pretty good, do you know if he will play or not? Good luck and may the best team win, hopefully Elon.xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
November 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Actually, a "sellout" at Rhodes is considered 11,250.

I was using the App State attendance last year (13,100) which included grass seating as the basis for that statement.

IaaScribe
November 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM
elon77: Jennings is going to play.

SuperJon
November 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Jennings will play.

The OL this year is smaller, faster, and more athletic than last year's. Last year's OL was just huge and strong but not very athletic.

whoanellie
November 19th, 2008, 10:51 AM

With an Elon win We aren't backing into anything!!!!

phoenixphanatic21
November 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Are there any tickets left for this game? If so, where can I get them?

SuperJon
November 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Are there any tickets left for this game? If so, where can I get them?

We never stop selling tickets. You can get them at the gate.

jcmanson
November 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
You can show up at the gate and get tickets or go to www.libertyflames.com and click on tickets at the top to order online.

phoenixphanatic21
November 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Muchas gracias. I look forward to see you guys on Saturday.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
As far as the
-MVC (UNI & SIU)
-Big Sky (Montana & Weber)
-So-Con (ASU & Wofford),
-MEAC (SC State)
-OVC (EKU/Tenn Martin winner- EKU loses they'd be 7-4, Tenn Martin loses loses they'd be out at 8-4 with only 6 Div I wins).
-Southland (Either Tx State or McNeese. Tx State if they win, 7-3 McNeese if they win & 7-4 Tx State loses (McNeese with a win at 8-3 would only have 6 Div I wins)
CAA (JMU & Nova)
-Cal poly
the playoff field is pretty set.

For Liberty to get in a lot of things would have to happen.
1. Liberty of course would have to beat Elon. I doubt it.

Then in order for only one Patriot team to be 8-3 vs 3 of them being 8-3, an 8-3 Patriot, at least Lafayette, would get an at large over a 10-2 Liberty
2. Colgate would probably have to beat HC- who knows here.
3. Lehigh would have to beat Lafayette- I doubt it.

4. UR would maybe have to beat W&M (likely) in what is a play in game for them because a 8-4 UR team would likely get in over a 10-2 Liberty who was 8-2 vs Div I without having played a I-A.

5. UNH would have to win @ Maine (better than 50/50), because with a Maine win, a 9-3 Maine would get in, and an 8-3 UNH with a win over a I-A (granted it was Army) would certainly get in as a 5th CAA team over a 10-2 Liberty.

So the way I see it, the odds of all the above happening is very small- only a few %. Even with a Liberty win, the odds of the next 5 things all happening is probably less than 1 in 10. Yes, Liberty could get in, but ALOT would have to happen.

For what its worth, I'll be rooting for Liberty and all the above scenarios to play out for Liberty, as I'd much rather see JMU play Liberty than Elon in the 1st round, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Eaglegus2
November 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I am pulling for my SoCon brethen..........

Giv'em Hell Elon!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
November 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I am pulling for my SoCon brethen..........

Giv'em Hell Elon!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

Atta boy! Congrats on going out in style with the W against Furman last weekend

BigSouthFB
November 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
But Colgate beat Lafayette who beat Liberty who beat Elon. Therefore Colgate should get an auto if they lose this weekend.

Well if you are using that logic: Liberty shut out Stony Brook who beat Colgate by a substantial amount. So if Liberty wins this weekend against Elon and Colgate takes a loss. Liberty has an argument over Colgate. Not that I agree I'm just sayin...

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well if you are using that logic: Liberty shut out Stony Brook who beat Colgate by a substantial amount. So if Liberty wins this weekend against Elon and Colgate takes a loss. Liberty has an argument over Colgate. Not that I agree I'm just sayin...

And Lafayette Beat Liberty...xsmiley_wix

BigSouthFB
November 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
And Lafayette Beat Liberty...xsmiley_wix

So Laffayette should have the bid over Colgate. If Colgate winsxsmiley_wix