PDA

View Full Version : SHSU-TxSt Game Thread

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Opening up the game thread for this week's game. Keep the smack to the thread in the smack section fellas! Here's the TexasTerror's weekly preview of the SHSU game. I went all out in this one, because to many of us (myself included), we like winning the rivalry game over the Cats more so than the Jacks, especially in recent years, a helluva lot more...

------------
Texas State Univ - San Marcos
vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats
Saturday, November 18th, 3 PM
Jim Wacker Field @ Bobcat Stadium, San Marcos, Texas

An Eye on the Kats: What a difference a week makes. Wade Pate entered as the reigning SLC and KatFans.com Player of the Week. He left the game and had to be replaced after throwing the ball around to just as many NoCo defenders as he did Bearkats. No luck in general with six interceptions in a game that should have been won. This last game of the season will be played with nothing on the line for the Kats except the role of being the spoiler, something many Kat fans would thoroughly enjoy.

An Eye on the Cats: The Cats with a 'C' are having their best season in I-AA and is bringing back the thoughts back to the glory years of Jim Wacker when the Cats won two Div II championships in the early 80s. This team has been built around a solid offense quarterbacked by NFL prospect Barrick Nealy, has recieved great special teams play all season and the defense has answered the call, holding their opponents under 21, seven times this season. A win for the Cats, they clinch atleast a share of their first-ever SLC title. Coupled with a Nicholls loss, they get the outright SLC title. A loss, the Cats are sent home packing thanks to an 8-3 year that included two sub Div I wins, which would not give them the required seven Div I wins, that is, unless Nicholls loses as well, forcing a three-way tie which would send the Cats on.

Keys for the Kats:
1) Make Nealy Miss. No questions about it, Barrick Nealy is going to get a few hundred yards on you whether it on the ground or airing it out. In their one SLC loss against Nicholls, Nealy was 17 of 41 passing for 227 yards and was limited on the ground to 24 yards. The Kats will need to do what they did when 'Hyde' showed his head and have great pass defense, forcing Nealy to run and rushing his passes. This occured in Huntsville last year, but this is 2005, not 2004.

Nealy is a Payton Award nominee and is going to want to put the stamp on his campaign with an impressive SLC-title clinching performance here. Many NFL scouts have brought up his accuracy as an issue, though it has improved vastly this year. If San Marcos is the home to a Nealy Revival of years' past, it will be a long afternoon for the Cats. Problem is, isolating Nealy can only go so far as RB Daniel Jolly (two TDs against SFA) can change the game on his own two feet.

2) Ball Control. Last week, one of the keys was to isolate Northern Colorado's Reed Doughty, one of the top defensive players in the nation from having an impact on defense. Coach Whitten felt the Kats were making some bad decisions with their passes and the Kats must've been looking around for Doughty a little too much as six interceptions was the deciding blow in this one. Whichever QB is on the field whether it Daugherty, Hicks or Pate is going to have to keep the ball out of the hands of guys like Daniel Varvel and Walter Musgrove.

Fumbles were avoided in Colorado, which must be repeated this week. However, for the second straight week, the Bearkats could not top 125 yards rushing. Keeping Nealy off the field will be crucial and these last two weeks of 101 and 89 yards, respectively, are much less than what is needed. Solid running game would keep the passing game honest and perhaps not lead to as many turnovers through the air.

For the record, Doughty finished with 13 tackles, one for loss, two INTs and a pass broken up. There's no reason he is not a finalist for top defensive honors as week-in and week-out, he shows that he has a way to finding the ball.

3) Seniors Go Out with a Bang. There are quite a few seniors who will be playing their last game in Bearkat orange. Some of these individuals earned letters for both the 2001 and 2004 championship teams. For these individuals, this will be their playoff game and they need to let it rub off on all the younger players. Bobcat Stadium will be packed as the 'Cats are playing what amounts to their second elimination game in as many weeks, knowing a loss will more than likely send them home.

Seniors to keep an eye on including the running duo of Stevie Smith (who unless he has a huge game recieving, will miss becoming the first 1000 rushing/1000 returning/1000 recieving player in SHSU history) and perennial All-SLC running back Jason Godfrey. On defense, Jeff Mayhew and John Griffin will be the seniors (along with Marcus Mikulec who missed all year due to injury) that will be missed most. They, along with safety Robert Herron have been huge cogs in the Kats machine this year. All three will need to play major roles if a win against the Cats is desired.

TT's Prediction: There are those of us who have a more intense desire to beat the Cats than even the Jacks. Throughout the year, there seems to be more smack-talking between these two universities than there are of any schools in the SLC. Heck, knowing the Bobcats, we'll even see band members and their alums smack-talking our Bearkat Marching Band all week as well.

I want this game more than any game on the schedule. Smacking the Jacks around Huntsville on regional television was a thing of beauty. I don't think any of us minded winning 52-24, did we? But, I think knocking the Cats out of the playoff hunt would leave an even better feeling that can carry over to next year when I think the Kats will be back in the SLC title hunt. I know the Cat fans out there will give me loads of garbage for this, but I'm going to do what any fan would do (and you can't disagree with that), I'm sticking by my home team in this rivalry game. Tell the folks in San Marcos to play the "Bearkat Boogie" instead of the "Chattanooga Choo-Choo", this one is going to the Kats, 37-31.

Cat79
November 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM
TT

Wake up and smell the coffee. Your secondary is depleted with the loss of the safeties for the season. Injuries have taken the toll on your team. The Bobcat D will be all over your QB's. If you had 6 interceptions against Northern Colorado what do you think the Bobcat D will do to you. Prepare to take your medicine. Our team remembers the taunting they received last year in Huntsville.

Bobcats Roll

Texas State 41 Sammy State 10

Go Texas State!!! Go Cats!!!

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
The Bobcat D will be all over your QB's. If you had 6 interceptions against Northern Colorado what do you think the Bobcat D will do to you.

Jekyll showed his head in Colorado, just the opposite of Hyde against SFA and SELA. Which 'face' of the Bearkats shows up gives us the difference between this game being a close-one or a blowout...

I think your missing how true that has been this year, since your caught up in your own team. ;)

Cat79
November 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
The big difference is you played both of those games at home. You will not be in Huntsville to play this week. We win this week.......................

Go Texas State!!! Go Cats!!!

Bobcat94
November 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Bobcats Roll!!!!!!

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I'm heading out the door to work a game here in Houston. Will be missing most, if not all of this one, but wanted to wish both sides, good luck and hope this is a better game than probably most of you are thinking it will be...

Hope someone updates this thread with scores throughout... :)

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 04:33 PM
at the half TSU 10 SHSU 3

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHS!!!!!!!!!!

JMU Duke Dog
November 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! Go Bearkats!

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 04:44 PM
first drive of the 2nd half SHSU is intercepted, Bobcats then drive down and kick a 33 yard FG, 13-3 TSU

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Touchdown Bearkats, TSU lead now 13-10, 10 minutes left in the 3rd

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 04:52 PM
LETS GOOOOOOOOO BEARKATS!!!!!!!!

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM
TSU drives down inside the 50 quickly, then fumbles and SHSU recovers at their own 43

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Kats driving down to the 35 yard line, first down

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM
DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Kats failed to convert on a 4th and 5 at the 30, TSU ball

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Kats defense holds and TSU will have to punt here

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Kats at midfield after a big 3rd down conversion

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Kats convert another big 3rd down, inside the 40 yard line now, end of the 3rd quarter

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Kats to the 11 yard line

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Kats don't convert on 3rd down, but the refs throw a flag and is 1st down for SHSU at the 5

dead ball personal foul

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Kats still can't get in, 4th down and the Kats will kick it

FG is good , 13-13 with 12:07 left

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
WOW. I know what they say about rivalry games, but I still expected TSU to win this one cleanly.

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
TSU runs the kickoff back to midfield, now they are driving down to the 25 yardline

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:26 PM
1st and goal from the 7 TSU

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Touchdown TSU - 20-13 the score with 9 minutes left

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Kats go nowhere, punting now

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM
6 minutes left, TSU was driving and fumbled after making a big 3rd down, Kat ball at their 40

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Kats forced to punt, and its a 9 yard punt, announcers saying it was partially blocked

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM
tsu goes for the deep pass instead of running the clock after being able to run the ball all day long ?????????????/

3rd and long and it stops the clock

incomplete

4th and 10

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:41 PM
3:15 left, Kats get the ball at their own 9 yard line

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Pate to Dzuik for 48 yards !!!!!!!!!!!

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM
91 YARDS IN TWO PLAYS!

CATS DEFENSE?!? WHAT?!?!

beerkat
November 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
HOLY CRAP KATS SCORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIE GAME !!!!!!!!

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
3rd and 1 for Nealy and the Cats...

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Cats 20-20 Kats, 1:10 left

Cats on T46.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Penalty to the S38 after a late hit...

Nealy can't hit the broadside of a barn today, eh? I know some NFL scouts are there.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM
BEARKATS RECOVER! BEARKATS RECOVER!

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM
WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO time left?

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM
overtime!

November 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Update?

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
3rd and G from TxSt 6

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM
23 yarder...GOOD

Bobcats get ball in 1 OT

23-20 SHSU on top

any free audio online?

matfu
update...or a link to listen to the game?

Eagle22
November 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM
any free audio online?

It's over.

Texas State wins on a TD in OT.

TexasTerror
TxSt wins and escapes with a 26-23 win to go to the playoffs...

Nealy played like crap, but they're going I-AA playoffs...

GSUISBACK
All eyes on TEXAS

GSUISBACK
November 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Wow that was quick

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2005, 06:34 PM
any free audio online?

I've got radio links on www.godemons.com for lots of the teams for future reference. I'll be adding more in the off-season too.

Bobcat94
November 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Nealy did not play like crap. The only question was the passing game. How many freakin' drops did the hands of stone receiving corp have? Hell Marque drop four of five that I remember that would be big, no huge gains. Three different WR's dropped touchdowns and a fourth was called back on penalty. 6 fumble losing 5. Texas State won ugly, but a good team can win ugly and that was ugly. Can anyone say tight..........

By the way 15,285 in attendance. I KNOW SAM DIDN'T HAVE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO THAT LAST YEAR FOR YOUR WIN AND SHARE OF THE TROPHY!!!!!!

With that said, Sam came in like most thought and played their rival really tough. I was impressed with the guts they showed. They wanted that ball game, and played like it. I think you have found your QB................

Retro
November 19th, 2005, 09:33 PM
You need to change your signature as Nicholls state gets the 2005 SLC Champs title! :o

Bobcat94
November 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Did you just wake up?????? I thought you guys knew something about I-AA football??????

There is a SLC trophy in San Marcos tonight. Over 15,000 saw it handed out.

Retro
November 19th, 2005, 10:18 PM
That's right: Co-Champs, but Nicholls gets the auto bid since they beat you!

bobcatfan06
November 19th, 2005, 10:35 PM
That's right: Co-Champs, but Nicholls gets the auto bid since they beat you!

Awww, lets be a freakin baby. I know ya'll have been co-champs and I bet you still called yourselves Champions. You losers are still crying 'bout your poor Billy Bob getting his feelings hurt 3 weeks ago. Go play some basketball. :nod:

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Once again the Refs had a hand in that game. Some very questionable and late calls were made that killed momentum for the Kats and kept some going for the cats. Yes, after having 5 fumbles go our way it may cancel out a little but the SLC refs showed once again that they are the worst in college football.

TxSt02
November 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Did you just wake up?????? I thought you guys knew something about I-AA football??????

There is a SLC trophy in San Marcos tonight. Over 15,000 saw it handed out.

and i got a hand on it on the field and it felt great!!!

McNeese75
November 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Awww, lets be a freakin baby. I know ya'll have been co-champs and I bet you still called yourselves Champions. You losers are still crying 'bout your poor Billy Bob getting his feelings hurt 3 weeks ago. Go play some basketball. :nod:

Billy Bob?????? :D I think ole Billy Bob just might live in your neck of the woods buddy. You will be representing the SLC from here on out so try to grow up and do it with a little class. Put yourself above the urge to resort to your old ways!! :eek:

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 19th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Billy Bob?????? :D I think ole Billy Bob just might live in your neck of the woods buddy. You will be representing the SLC from here on out so try to grow up and do it with a little class. Put yourself above the urge to resort to your old ways!! :eek:

agreed....

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Once again the Refs had a hand in that game. Some very questionable and late calls were made that killed momentum for the Kats and kept some going for the cats. Yes, after having 5 fumbles go our way it may cancel out a little but the SLC refs showed once again that they are the worst in college football.
Worst is right.
There were plenty of penalties against the Kats that were not called but good teams win regardless of the refs.

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM
You need to change your signature as Nicholls state gets the 2005 SLC Champs title! :o
Did someone say Grow up!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: