PDA

View Full Version : Southland Remaining Scenarios

joeymac007
November 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM
First time to post here, but haven't seen this anywhere yet. This is from KPLCTV.COM

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE FOOTBALL REMAINING SCENARIOS

Current Standings (through Nov. 15):

*UCA 5-1

McN 4-2

TXST 4-2

NW 3-3

#SLU 2-4

#SH 2-4

#SFA 2-4

#NIC 2-4

*Ineligible for championship and NCAA Automatic Bid.

# Eliminated from championship race.

Remaining Tie-Breaking Possibilities:

If only Texas State finishes 5-2, Texas State will be the champion and NCAA AQ recipient.

If only McNeese finishes 5-2, McNeese will be the champion and NCAA AQ recipient

If McNeese and Texas State finish 5-2, a two-way championship is declared. As a result of Texas State's head-to-head win over McNeese,
Texas State will be the NCAA AQ recipient.
If McNeese, Texas State and Northwestern all finish at 4-3, a head-to-head comparison of records among the tied teams shows that McNeese is 1-1 vs. tied teams, Texas State is 1-1, and Northwestern is 1-1. Tie remains unbroken.

A comparison of records of the tied teams' records vs. the other Conference teams in order of finish:

Comparison of McNeese, Texas State and Northwestern vs. UCA: All 0-1; Tie remains unbroken.

Comparison of McNeese, Texas State and Northwestern vs. SH and SLU (if, SH and SLU are tied in next highest position in standings): McN: 2-0; TXST 1-1; NW 1-1. Three-way championship declared and McNeese is NCAA AQ recipient.

Comparison of McNeese, Texas State and Northwestern vs. SH and NIC (if SH and NIC are tied in next highest position in standings): McN: 1-1; TXST 1-1; NW 2-0. Three-way championship declared and Northwestern is NCAA AQ recipient.

If McNeese and Texas State both finish 4-3, Texas State's head-to-head win over McNeese is determinant. Two-way championship declared and Texas State is NCAA AQ recipient.

Khan4Cats
November 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the clarification on that. I actually was kind of wondering.

Now, come on Bobcats, just win and solve any of this cluster---- problems.

Then, enjoy your trip to Montana, though I would love to see you up here in the Dome.

McNeese75
November 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure the sportcaster is correct on this. I believe there is a stupid tie-breaker in place that goes against the teams that have been to the playoffs more recently which is going to remove McNeese in any tie scenario (except UCA).

txstatebobcat
November 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I thought in case of a three way tie, the team that has longest without going to the playoffs (Northwestern state in this case) becomes the AQ.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
That's the tiebreaker that comes into play only after the go-through-team-by-team tiebreaker that is detailed here. The broadcasters, I think, are right (besides, I don't think they did it themselves, they probably got it from the league office).

Netted out,

* Texas State wins, they're in
* Texas State loses, McNeese wins, McNeese is in
* Both lose, and wait until the dust settles

McNeese75
November 17th, 2008, 11:12 PM
From a post on Geauxcowboys

Southland playoff procedures
To: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:04 pm

SECTION 6. I-AA FOOTBALL
6.01 General Rules. Football competition in the Conference shall be played under the rules of the
NCAA and regulations contained in the Bylaws and Operating Code of the Conference. [8/02]
6.02 Format. A Conference championship shall be determined by a round-robin schedule or by a
formula designed to accommodate particular situations as agreed upon. [8/02]
6.03 Championship. The championship shall be determined on a percentage basis of Conference
competition, but in the event of a tie between two (2) or more teams, co-champions shall be
declared. [8/02]
6.03.01 Automatic Representative. The recipient of the Conference’s automatic bid to
the NCAA I-AA playoffs shall be the champion of the round-robin competition, as
defined above. In the event the Conference or the NCAA prohibits a team from
participation in postseason competition, it shall be eliminated from
consideration.
6.03.01.01 Two-Way Ties. In case of a two-way tie for the championship, the
team that defeated the other shall be the automatic bid recipient.
If the two (2) teams played to a tie game, the won-lost record
against the teams finishing below the tied position shall be utilized
in sequence until the tie is broken.
6.03.01.02 Multiple Ties. If three (3) or more teams tie for the
championship, the same selection procedure as outlined in
6.03.01.01 shall be followed with the following exceptions:
(a) If three (3) or more teams are tied and if one (1) should
have an advantage in head-to-head competition over the other
teams, that team shall be the automatic bid recipient;
(b) If three (3) or more teams are tied and if two (2) or more
should have an advantage in head-to-head competition over the
other team, those teams with the advantage shall be evaluated
using the two-way or multiple tie-breaking procedures and the
other team eliminated; and/or
(c) If three (3) or more teams remain tied, the won-lost record
against the teams finishing below the tied position shall be utilized
in sequence until the tie is broken.
6.03.01.03 Unbreakable Ties. If a tie remains after the above procedures
are attempted, the member that has been absent from the I-AA
playoffs for the longest period of time shall be designated as the
Conference’s representative in the I-AA playoffs.
6.03.01.04 Tie-Breaker Drawing. If a tie remains after the procedure
outlined in 6.03.01.03 is attempted, a drawing shall be conducted
by the commissioner.
6.04 Playing Days. Conference institutions are prohibited from scheduling regular-season home
football contests on Friday nights. [7/01]
6.05 Game Confirmation Letter. Prior to September 1 of each year, the Conference office shall
circulate Game Confirmation Letters to the host athletics director for each Conferencescheduled
contest. The letters shall be completed with a copy forwarded to20the visiting team’s
athletics director, the coordinator of officials and the Conference office. [8/97]

TheValleyRaider
November 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM
In short, Northwestern State needs to win, see McNeese and Texas State lose, and have Nicholls win over Southeastern, and only then can they get into the postseason

Otherwise, it'll come down to Texas State and McNeese, right?

Dallas Demon
November 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
In short, Northwestern State needs to win, see McNeese and Texas State lose, and have Nicholls win over Southeastern, and only then can they get into the postseason

Otherwise, it'll come down to Texas State and McNeese, right?

Correct.