PDA

View Full Version : MVC AQ

URMite
November 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
So with 4 AQs left, OVC & PL seem simple, Southland has a couple of possibilities. But who does SIU play this week? And who can get the AQ if they lose?

Plus with what I assume would be a bad loss and Non-counter, they would be 7-3 and slightly less than a lock, so it could effect teams outside the MVC.

crunifan
November 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
So with 4 AQs left, OVC & PL seem simple, Southland has a couple of possibilities. But who does SIU play this week? And who can get the AQ if they lose?

Plus with what I assume would be a bad loss and Non-counter, they would be 7-3 and slightly less than a lock, so it could effect teams outside the MVC.

SIU plays at Illinois State. While ISU is a thorn in the Salukis side, they should be able to clinch the autobid next weekend.

In the event they fail to beat the Redbirds, UNI will win the autobid. UNI has already clinched a share of the MVC title, but due to losing the head to head with SIU, we only receive the autobid if SIU loses.

JayJ79
November 17th, 2008, 12:35 AM
SIU plays at Illinois State. While ISU is a thorn in the Salukis side, they should be able to clinch the autobid next weekend.

In the event they fail to beat the Redbirds, UNI will win the autobid. UNI has already clinched a share of the MVC title, but due to losing the head to head with SIU, we only receive the autobid if SIU loses.

Our conference schedule is finished. you can add to your sig line. xcoolx

crunifan
November 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Well, what do you know! You're absolutely right. How pretty does that look now?

joecooll6
November 17th, 2008, 12:48 AM

They would be 8-3, unless you're throwing out the non-counters.

I think the win over UNI gets them in anyway. They also have decent wins against SDSU and WIU.

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Plus with what I assume would be a bad loss and Non-counter, they would be 7-3 and slightly less than a lock, so it could effect teams outside the MVC.With a good game against a good FBS team, three wins over ranked FCS, I think they are pretty much in though a loss at Illinois State may make for some sweating when Selection Sunday comes. I assume you mean the one score loss at the Fargodome is the "bad loss" or would it be to the Redbirds?

siuham
November 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM
A loss to ISU would be a bad loss, but the NDSU loss is pretty bad too, given the halftime lead that was blown. And it wasn't much of a game with Northwestern after the first half.

URMite
November 17th, 2008, 07:12 AM
With a good game against a good FBS team, three wins over ranked FCS, I think they are pretty much in though a loss at Illinois State may make for some sweating when Selection Sunday comes. I assume you mean the one score loss at the Fargodome is the "bad loss" or would it be to the Redbirds?

I meant the redbirds, but I couldn't remember who SIU or UNI played this weekend.

PS-I meant 7-3 vs DIV I. and I did mean nearly a lock. But I think anyone with <8 DIV I wins isn't automatic this year. The UNI win really helps but SDSU&WIU may need 7 DIV I wins themselves to be standout wins.

nmatsen
November 17th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I beg of you, remove the 2008 from your conference champions list. Unless SIU loses to ISU (red) we ARE NOT CHAMPIONS! Unless you get the auto bid you shouldn't claim championships, sure it looks nice to add another year, but when we stick to our guns and only count the ones we WIN (instead of every time you tie with three other teams like YSU) it makes the years we do have listed look that much more impressive.

clenz
November 17th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I beg of you, remove the 2008 from your conference champions list. Unless SIU loses to ISU (red) we ARE NOT CHAMPIONS! Unless you get the auto bid you shouldn't claim championships, sure it looks nice to add another year, but when we stick to our guns and only count the ones we WIN (instead of every time you tie with three other teams like YSU) it makes the years we do have listed look that much more impressive.We did win a share of the conference. Tell to any school that has shared a conference title to strike all of their records that they don't have outright...you'll get laughed out of the state.

nmatsen
November 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
That schools fans would laugh, not their coaches / players. Its about a comptetive nature, talk about laughing, remember when Iowa State was "Big XII North Champions", do you really believe that they deserved to be called champions after choking down their leg against Missouri that year, listen there shouldn't be co-champs, there should be just one, one trophy, one auto-bid, one winner. This is just another indicator of the "hugs and juiceboxes" society that we live in. Were the Patriots the "Co-Super Bowl Champions" last year? No, they weren't, because they got BEAT BY THE CHAMPIONS! Much like UNI did this year.

joecooll6
November 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I like your logic about Iowa State, but the Patriots thing was kind of dumb.

UNIFanSince1983
November 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yup our society now is all 'Hugs and Juiceboxes'

Lets go back to the old days when no one used to share championships. Wait that never happened. They have been sharing championships since conferences started. Give me a break. I know the coaches and the players are talking about being the first back-to-back conference champions under Farley.

And let me ask you who is the conference champions in basketball if one team wins the regular season, but the other team wins the conference tournament?

We were the first Gateway champions, the last Gateway champions, and now the first MVC football Champions and you should be proud of that and quit trying to take things away from the team you supposedly like.

appfan2008
November 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think judging by how shallow the at large pool seems to be a siu team that losses next week and finishes 8-3 will be in...

Killsback
November 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
But how about a 9-2 SIU team with a road load loss at NDSU and a road loss at Northwestern as a number 4 seed?

UNIFanSince1983
November 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think it is possible, but I think teams like Montana, Weber, Villanova, and possibly Cal Poly (with a win at Wisconsin) have a better shot at a seed than either of the MVC teams.

Killsback
November 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Probably right, but I still think the MVFC in its worst years is still worthy of a top 4 seed for the auto bid. We get looked down because we have some bad bottom feeders, but I still believe that UNI and SIU are worthy.

UNIFanSince1983
November 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Oh I completely agree.

JayJ79
November 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I beg of you, remove the 2008 from your conference champions list. Unless SIU loses to ISU (red) we ARE NOT CHAMPIONS! Unless you get the auto bid you shouldn't claim championships, sure it looks nice to add another year, but when we stick to our guns and only count the ones we WIN (instead of every time you tie with three other teams like YSU) it makes the years we do have listed look that much more impressive.

Are you calling Coach Farley a liar? :p

ValleyChamp
November 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
That schools fans would laugh, not their coaches / players. Its about a comptetive nature, talk about laughing, remember when Iowa State was "Big XII North Champions", do you really believe that they deserved to be called champions after choking down their leg against Missouri that year, listen there shouldn't be co-champs, there should be just one, one trophy, one auto-bid, one winner. This is just another indicator of the "hugs and juiceboxes" society that we live in. Were the Patriots the "Co-Super Bowl Champions" last year? No, they weren't, because they got BEAT BY THE CHAMPIONS! Much like UNI did this year.

Ok, but we whipped NDSU, while SIU got beat by them. Therefore, we are the lone champs. Right? What is the difference?

Killsback
November 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
The difference is we beat UNI head to head....

ValleyChamp
November 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
The difference is we beat UNI head to head....

True, which is a perfect way to decide who gets the autobid. BUT, I don't think you can have non-shared titles without a conference championship game. That is my point.

achrist70
November 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
How lucky was SIU to have UNI, SDSU, and WIU at home this year?

joecooll6
November 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM

They got a very favorable schedule, kind of like we did last year.

As far as the co-champs thing, I think that there's something to be said about shared titles when both teams played a full round robin. Both UNI and SIU played the exact same schedule, both went 7-1 with that schedule assuming SIU wins next week, I think that means they both equally earned the right to call themselves co-champs.

Maybe SIU can call themselves MVC Champs, while UNI can only call themselves co-champs. Kind of reminds me of an episode of Scrubs.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Luckier than usual when you add in the collapse of YSU who we had on the road. xnodx

Hey. We'll take it. Beats the hell out of finishing fifth like we were supposed to do.:D

JayJ79
November 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
They got a very favorable schedule, kind of like we did last year.

As far as the co-champs thing, I think that there's something to be said about shared titles when both teams played a full round robin. Both UNI and SIU played the exact same schedule, both went 7-1 with that schedule assuming SIU wins next week, I think that means they both equally earned the right to call themselves co-champs.

Maybe SIU can call themselves MVC Champs, while UNI can only call themselves co-champs. Kind of reminds me of an episode of Scrubs.

The MVFC conference manual (http://www.mvc.org/manual/football.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=7600) designates co-champs:

4.1 Format. The conference champion shall be determined annually by the results of the round robin schedule.
4.2 Ties.
4.2.1 Co-Champions. In the event of a tie in the round robin results, co-champions shall be named.

Saluki09
November 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM
The thing I don't like about our scheduling is we have to go to a dome every year now...and we haven't won in a dome since 1983.

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
They get them all on the road next year. It balances out.

UNI MadCat
November 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Are you calling Coach Farley a liar? :p

You assume he is actually reading and listening.

I've seen his rants for enough years to know that you dont confuse nmatsen with facts, his mind is already made up.

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
What is the big deal about whether a co-championship is a title? Going 7-1 in this league is quite an accomplishment. Both teams are champs regardless of the autobid. The league rules are quite clear on that.

MplsBison
November 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
No way is UNI a co champ.

SIU won it outright when they beat UNI on the field.

Khan4Cats
November 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM
What is the big deal about whether a co-championship is a title? Going 7-1 in this league is quite an accomplishment. Both teams are champs regardless of the autobid. The league rules are quite clear on that.

A lot of it comes back on UNI fans who have given a particular team from Ohio a hard time over the last few years because they claim co-championships without actually winning one outright. Those comments are coming back on them now. Though, to their credit, there are some that are maintaining their position, even if it means less "prestige" for UNI.

Either way, I will be happy to see another year added to the play-offs list on the north wall of the UNI-Dome.

PurpleandGold
November 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
If those are the MVFC rules, then they can technically call themselves co-champs. I may be wrong, but in the CAA, head-to-head is a tiebreaker. I think we only have co-champs when the tying teams don't play, such as Richmond and UMASS last year, or when there's a three way tie and all 3 lost to one of the others, as would have been the case had W&M beaten JMU last weekend.

MVFC rules are MVFC rules, but personally I wouldn't be as proud of a co-champs banner knowing we lost to the other co-champ.

As for basketball, the regular season champ just means that you have a leg up in the championship, nothing more. If you lose in the playoffs, you are not the champion. Otherwise, why bother with the championship.

Big Al
November 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Except for the part where it defines the champion (or co-champ) in the MVFC bylaws.

nmatsen
November 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
If those are the MVFC rules, then they can technically call themselves co-champs. I may be wrong, but in the CAA, head-to-head is a tiebreaker. I think we only have co-champs when the tying teams don't play, such as Richmond and UMASS last year, or when there's a three way tie and all 3 lost to one of the others, as would have been the case had W&M beaten JMU last weekend.

MVFC rules are MVFC rules, but personally I wouldn't be as proud of a co-champs banner knowing we lost to the other co-champ.

As for basketball, the regular season champ just means that you have a leg up in the championship, nothing more. If you lose in the playoffs, you are not the champion. Otherwise, why bother with the championship.

Well, at least someone doesn't think I am an idiot?

MadCat, whats the deal? Have I don't something to deserve an attack from you?

JayJ79
November 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I may be wrong, but in the CAA, head-to-head is a tiebreaker. I think we only have co-champs when the tying teams don't play, such as Richmond and UMASS last year, or when there's a three way tie and all 3 lost to one of the others, as would have been the case had W&M beaten JMU last weekend.

CAA procedures (http://www.caasports.com/fls/8500/supportfiles/Handbook/FB/08CAA_FOOTBALL_HANDBOOK_web.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=8500) don't specify it quite as clearly as the MVFC procedures. But they do seem to recognize co-champs

ARTICLE IX - CHAMPIONSHIP AWARDS AND CITATIONS
9.01 A trophy will be presented to the Conference champion. If there is a tie for the championship, two trophies shall be presented. A trophy will also be presented to the division winners including any ties.

Of course, they list tiebreakers for the determination of the Automatic Qualifier, just like the MVFC. But that is a seperate distinction from "conference champion"

Pantherpower
November 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM

They haven't won anything, yet. In fact, I think we'll be talking about the Panthers as the outright champs and number four seed come this time next week.

clenz
November 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Well from the looks of our Conference title wall in the dome 2008 is listed on it....

Take that FWIW

stevdock
November 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM

SDSU will have that type of schedule next year with UNI, SIU, and NDSU all at home. Will be interesting to see what type of team they have for that schedule next year.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
SDSU will have that type of schedule next year with UNI, SIU, and NDSU all at home. Will be interesting to see what type of team they have for that schedule next year.

Wonder what YSU will have next year?

Chi Panther
November 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM

No Berry and Harris.

That has to be music to our ears....xwhistlex

SiouxFallsJack
November 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
No Berry and Harris.

That has to be music to our ears....xwhistlex

Harris will be missed but I'm more worried about replacing Berry.

Houndawg
November 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM

SIU loses 5 of their first 22 on offense, 4 of their first 22 on defense.:D

jackmd
November 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Harris will be missed but I'm more worried about replacing Berry.

Definitely, good news is we have 2 very good young RB's and more waiting in the wings. If we can solidify the O-line one of our many prospects at QB will step-up and begin to fill a very large void being left by Berry's departure.

Khan4Cats
November 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM
SIU loses 5 of their first 22 on offense, 4 of their first 22 on defense.:D

We were a little worried after last year when we lost Sanders and the entire offensive line. We've been fine and will continue to be.

Of course, North Dakota State had almost their entire team back as well this year.