PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Rivarly in the South

DTSpider
November 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
UofR at W&M with a playoff berth on the line. Would be interested to hear comments from the JMU folks who have seen both teams in person.

JMU DUUUKES
November 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Are there like 78,000 different "oldest rivalry's in the south" ???

UNC and UVA i think technically have it since they have played since 1892, that is the official coined "Oldest Rivalry of South"

Also Auburn and Georgia claim the "Oldest Rivalry in the Deep South" , haha

Plus Randolph Macon and Hampden Sydney claim this title as well, playing for over 113 years i read

Eight Legger
November 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
We first played W&M in 1898, but this will be the 118th meeting, which is more than UVA-UNC and the others mentioned, I believe. Either way, this will be the most meaningful game in this series in a long time.

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Nice to have the I-64 Bowl mean something for the first time in years. The Tribe will need to recover from a very poor showing at JMU if they're to have a chance in this.

beauvighn
November 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Not sure I consider Virginia South...but that's just me.

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM

My God, man! xeekx Richmond was the capital of the confederacy!

beauvighn
November 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
It's not the south if they don't serve sweet tea, Grits at breakfast, and serve pepsi instead of coke.

hapapp
November 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
You might be thinking of Northern VA, but in the rest of VA all of those things are readily available.

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
It's not the south if they don't serve sweet tea, Grits at breakfast, and serve pepsi instead of coke.

xthumbsupx Next question?

StonewallSpider
November 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
It's the oldest football rivalry in the south.

Also there is a statue of Stonewall Jackson 3 blocks from my apt. I would say Richmond is in The South.

DTSpider
November 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Well, glad to see that two top 15 teams meeting with a playoff spot on the line, has only come up with discussions of whether Richmond is considered south.

As for the game, I tend to think that Richmond's defensive line will be a little too much for W&M to handle, assuming that UR can hold onto the ball this week.

StonewallSpider
November 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
How much will home field advantage affect the outcome of this game?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
How much will home field advantage will affect the outcome of this game?

It won't. We practice on the same surface they play on 4 days a week.

Are you going? I am.

jmu_duke07
November 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
You might be thinking of Northern VA, but in the rest of VA all of those things are readily available.

Northern VA is a different state all together... I never had tea without sugar until I was in College, grits are always in my cabinet, and Sundrop and Cheerwine in the fridge!!! xpeacex

(Originally from Va)

walliver
November 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
It's the oldest football rivalry in the south.

Also there is a statue of Stonewall Jackson 3 blocks from my apt. I would say Richmond is in The South.

Wofford beat Furman on December 14, 1889. I think we're in the South.

JMU DUUUKES
November 16th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Northern VA is a different state all together... I never had tea without sugar until I was in College, grits are always in my cabinet, and Sundrop and Cheerwine in the fridge!!! xpeacex

(Originally from Va)

Seconded, head over to Harrisonburg or Graves Mountain Lodge and tell me your not in the South, haha

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Well, glad to see that two top 15 teams meeting with a playoff spot on the line, has only come up with discussions of whether Richmond is considered south.

As for the game, I tend to think that Richmond's defensive line will be a little too much for W&M to handle, assuming that UR can hold onto the ball this week.

All bets are off on this side after the Tribe's dismal performance at JMU. We had been playing poorly in the first half, and coming out strong in the second half all year. At JMU we played poorly throughout the game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
All bets are off on this side after the Tribe's dismal performance at JMU. We had been playing poorly in the first half, and coming out strong in the second half all year. At JMU we played poorly throughout the game.

Sandy, may the best team win on Saturday. If we aren't the best team, we will be pulling for the Indians in the playoffs.

What time is tailgating permitted for a Noon game. 9am? Earlier?

ASU88
November 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Pepsi: Born in NC.

Coke: Born in Georgia. Further South.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM

I don't see W&M being the same caliber as JMU/Richmond/Nova this year and I expect Richmond to win this weekend and move on to the playoffs. IMO, the Tribe was simply overmatched on both sides of the ball on Saturday.

Go Dukes

Tribe4SF
November 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sandy, may the best team win on Saturday. If we aren't the best team, we will be pulling for the Indians in the playoffs.

What time is tailgating permitted for a Noon game. 9am? Earlier?

W&M Hall lot should open at 9.

If the Spiders win, I hope you get a home game so I can go. Have seen the Spiders play Hampton, Furman and EKU over the last few years.

ViennaSpider
November 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Are you going? I am.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there along with a buddy of mine from high school. He just happens to be a W&M grad. We've been going to these games together for over 40years. For most of that time, the Tribe has been a very unkind host to the Spiders. Hopefully, we stay focused and get out of Zable with the W. It will be a war.

South Carolina Duke
November 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Virginia, "The Old Dominion", (Richmond) was the capitol of the South, CSA, ever heard of the Army of Northern VIrginia?

Wade Hampton, Longstreet, Beauregard all reported to a Virginian's command.

I hope you enjoyed the history lesson. xthumbsupx

Retro
November 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Virginia was part of the old south, but these days anything north of South Carolina is not the south IMO...

Today's south: South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee and Northern Florida.. Hell, Atlanta has become a yankee relocation center in the past 20 years, so who knows anyomore..

South Carolina Duke
November 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Hapapp,
Be sure to tell him about the moonshine in Franklin County as well

South Carolina Duke
November 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I don't see W&M being the same caliber as JMU/Richmond/Nova this year and I expect Richmond to win this weekend and move on to the playoffs. IMO, the Tribe was simply overmatched on both sides of the ball on Saturday.

Go Dukes

Agreed.

Eventhough Grimes is a strong runner and W&M have plenty to look forward to next year. The "Stonewall Defense" and the Huge Offensive line for the Spiders will be too much I think. Not to mention UR's QB threat.

beauvighn
November 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Virginia was part of the hold south, but these days anything north of South Carolina is not the south IMO...

Today's south: South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee and Northern Florida.. Hell, Atlanta has become a yankee relocation center in the past 20 years, so who knows anyomore..

Not only has Atlanta fallen again but the entire metro area has been overrun. If Citdog was here I'm sure he would concur with us.

I was born and raised in the deep south, but have lived in Annapolis,MD for most of my adult and now retired life. I know Virginia well and they don't speak the same dialect there as my rural friends back home xnodx

South Carolina Duke
November 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Not only has Atlanta fallen again but the entire metro area has been overrun. If Citdog was here I'm sure he would concur with us.

I was born and raised in the deep south, but have lived in Annapolis,MD for most of my adult and now retired life. I know Virginia well and they don't speak the same dialect there as my rural friends back home xnodx

Which dialect are you referring to? Southwestern, Va. Shenandoah Valley, Tiedwater? Southside? Central? How much of the Commnwealth have you traveled? I would put several of those up against any other person from any other state in the South.

NOVA and the Beltway or anything on Route 50 going your way I understand, they have no southern dialect, not in or near the "Free State " of Maryland.

spdram
November 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Check out the links on college football rivarlies. I think the distinction is the game is one of the most played.

http://www.1122productions.com/rivalries/most-played.html

chantster
November 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM

True.

Lived in Va Beach, Manassas, and Quantico. Never once did it ever feel like I was living in the south.

bullseye44
November 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM
To me, Laycock has to open up the playbook against Richmond if we're going to have a chance. I've seen or attended all but 1 game this year, and haven't seen him call a game as conservatively as the JMU game. If we're that predictable and tentative on offense, we will struggle.

If we play our game offensively, then it will be like the old days where we have a chance to outscore our opponents if we get the last possession.

DTSpider
November 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I think it'll be interesting how Richmond's speed on defense matches up with W&M's offense. Richmond has moved some defensive backs into linebackers and is definitely probably the fastest defense I've seen at the FCS level. They really can fly sideline to sideline. Unfortunately we're a little small so teams that can spread it out and run hard downhill (JMU & Nova) have been able to move the ball on the ground. Any word on the weather?

DTSpider
November 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
To me, Laycock has to open up the playbook against Richmond if we're going to have a chance. I've seen or attended all but 1 game this year, and haven't seen him call a game as conservatively as the JMU game. If we're that predictable and tentative on offense, we will struggle.

If we play our game offensively, then it will be like the old days where we have a chance to outscore our opponents if we get the last possession.

Interesting. I've always thought of Laycock as one of the more consistently aggressive playcallers around. Especially with a senior QB.

Dukie95
November 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
If I'm going to judge W&M based on their perfomance this weekend, I don't see how W&M keeps up with Richmond.

Now, maybe they had an off-day, but they didn't appear to be in the same league as JMU, VU and UR. Sure they beat UNH, but they're not in that class, either.

19Duke97
November 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM
UR should be better than W&M, but this is a rivalry game at W&M I believe, on their Senior Day. W&M is much improved, but I think UR get's the nod by a TD or so.
As far as the South argument, I have lived in NOVA, Richmond, Harrisonburg, and Petersburg. All are south except NOVA, which actually WANTED to split form VA for quite some time, but go to Galax, or Danville, and tell me that's not the South -- you are crazy. They are more "South" than many southern cities, and I mean scary star and bars flying, gun toting, south is going to rise again types...

ur2k
November 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Tribe fans - how is your offensive line this year? We hold our d-line to be pretty darn good so would like to know what they are going up against.

HIU 93
November 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
UNC and UVA i think technically have it since they have played since 1892, that is the official coined "Oldest Rivalry of South"

What is the date on that? I ask, because Livingstone and Johnson C. Smith have been playing since 1892 as well.

MacThor
November 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm feeling pretty good about our D. First-string D has given up one TD (no FGs) in 3 games, and that one while protecting a 27-point lead!

MacThor
November 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
There's no debate about the rivalries. The only schools that have played more often are Lafayette-Lehigh, Princeton-Yale & Harvard-Yale. None of those are in the south! :)

wocorebel
November 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Wofford first played Furman on December 14, 1889. I didn't want to look through all of these post to compare, but that tops UR/WM. And Wofford won 5 to 1.

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Tribe fans - how is your offensive line this year? We hold our d-line to be pretty darn good so would like to know what they are going up against.

Inconsistent. They have shown well at times (2nd half against Nova...at UNH...at UD), but played poorly at JMU. Both tackles are young, and have played young at times.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
True.

Lived in Va Beach, Manassas, and Quantico. Never once did it ever feel like I was living in the south.

From my experience, everyone in Va Beach seems to be from Ohio, Michigan, or Iowa. (Its a Navy thing, I guess.)

And Manassas and Quantico are north of the Rappahannock in the Yankee occupation zone. My father-in-law lives in Fredericksburg, and he jokes that he lives on the "frontlines."

StonewallSpider
November 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM
It's interesting to look at how similar UR and W&M's schedules and outcomes were.
Loss to an ACC team UR-UVA, W&M-NC State
Loss to JMU and Villanova
Wins vs VMI
Wins vs Towson and Delaware
3 CAA north wins, UR - UMass, Maine, Hofstra. W&M - UNH, Northeastern and URI
Wins against so-so FCS teams UR-Georgetown and W&M-Norfolk State
The only game that separates them is the UR win @ Elon

ur2k
November 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
From the UR football notes for this game:

Saturday’s game marks the 118th meeting between Commonwealth
rivals Richmond and William & Mary. In terms of number of games, the rivalry is the oldest in the South and the fourth-oldest in the nation.

Although the Tribe leads the all-time series 59-53-9, the Spiders have owned the I-64 Trophy as of late by winning three straight, four of the last six and six of the last 10.

Here's the list of most played rivalry games (numbers through the end of this season):

1. Lehigh vs. Lafayette 144
2. Yale vs. Princeton 131
3. Yale vs. Harvard 125
4. Richmond vs. William & Mary 118
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin 118

apppackdad
November 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So are Virginia CAA members traitors to the beloved South?

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
UofR at W&M with a playoff berth on the line. Would be interested to hear comments from the JMU folks who have seen both teams in person.

All I know is early in the 4th qtr with JMU up 45-10 JMU had over 500 yards total offense to W&Ms 169 at that point. W&M then got 2 4th qtr TD drives, the 2nd with W&M's starters against JMU's backups, to make the score and total yardage difference look not as lopsided. W&M wasn't as good as I thought they would be. I know its a rivalry game, but UR rolls in this one by 2-3 TDs.

whoanellie
November 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM

As a North Carolinian I excuse my Sandlapp'n brethern for not knowing his geography or History when it comes to the Origin of The Old Dominion Commonwealth xrulesx xrulesx

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
All I know is early in the 4th qtr with JMU up 45-10 JMU had over 500 yards total offense to W&Ms 169 at that point. W&M then got 2 4th qtr TD drives, the 2nd with W&M's starters against JMU's backups, to make the score and total yardage difference look not as lopsided. W&M wasn't as good as I thought they would be. I know its a rivalry game, but UR rolls in this one by 2-3 TDs.

The game was not close, but there's no reason to exaggerate. The second W&M TD was with backups in the game. RJ Archer engineered the entire drive.

charliej
November 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM

True. W&M had a great second half against Nova. Might have been a much different game had Tribe played first half like that.

I think I have to go with UR here tho.. Spider defense is just too good.

South Carolina Duke
November 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The game was not close, but there's no reason to exaggerate. The second W&M TD was with backups in the game. RJ Archer engineered the entire drive.

Congrats to Archer and the backups. Question, who do you think he was playing against, ...all back ups.?

The Tribe has a bright future offensively, however, UR is going to roll all over ya'll.

Since you were unable to put any pressure on Landers/Superman. There is no way you will be able to move the OL of the Spiders, no way! Plus they can run as well.

GboroAppFan
November 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM

I was able to buy grits in Penn camping around York a few summers ago. I think Baltimore is a grit city also.

I don't think the Grit line is the same as the Mason-Dixon line.

I must admit I don't remember the tea situation, but it seems I got sweet tea in Hershey, PA also, though I was so hyped up on chocolate at that point everything tasted like sugar.

AppMan
November 21st, 2008, 05:57 AM

Pepsi was created in New Bern, North Carolina.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
Congrats to Archer and the backups. Question, who do you think he was playing against, ...all back ups.?

The Tribe has a bright future offensively, however, UR is going to roll all over ya'll.

Since you were unable to put any pressure on Landers/Superman. There is no way you will be able to move the OL of the Spiders, no way! Plus they can run as well.

We'll see how it plays out. Another uphill battle for the Tribe. The difference this week is UR's more conventional offense. Landers' ball handling was brilliant last week, and did as much as the o-line to protect from pressure. His play ranked up their with Edwards' against Wofford.

terrierbob
November 21st, 2008, 07:52 AM

Gee...someone MAYBE significant was head of a little band of rebels called the ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA, for God's sake.

elon77
November 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
I thought the oldest rivarly in the south was who made the best shine, ASU or WSU?xconfusedx

spdram
November 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I thought the oldest rivarly in the south was who made the best shine, ASU or WSU?xconfusedx

you sure that's not who drank the most?

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
If W&M plays like they did in Harrisonburg, I don't think they have a chance. But, I think they're a better team than they showed and will at least keep it close with UR. I think UR will ultimately win, but I expect it to be close.

elon77
November 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
you sure that's not who drank the most?

I made a typo it should have been ASU or WCU. Please excuse me Western folks, But, WHO DID MAKE AND SELL THE BEST SHINE?xconfusedx

apppackdad
November 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
I have seen this rivalry in person, and it's pretty intense. You can forget most previous notions about Richmond and Bill & Mary folks. This usually is a most uncivil war. xeekx

Playoffs on the line, most competitive W&M team in a while, Tribe at home, I think it will bexrolleyesx William & Mary 31- Richmond 28.

jmufan999
November 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
you asked for opinions from JMU fans. here's mine:

W&M will get killed in this game. i think there is a big disparity (is that the word i'm looking for?) in talent, especially on defense. Richmond and Nova are by far the best defenses we've played all season. add in their KR (Justin something, right?) who can change field position...

UR 41
W&M 28

W&M gets some late scores to make it look more competitive, but i think they will be absolutely dominated from start to finish.

bostonspider
November 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
I hope the JMU fans are right about this game... I am nervous

DTSpider
November 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
I agree.

Is this game sold out? I know that UR sold of all their tickets. Hopefully the rest are gone as well. This game deserves a sold out crowd (which I think is only something like 12,000 at the Reservation).

tandemlax
November 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Not sure. I just tried to buy tickets on the WM website and it looks like there are some available- but I hope the place is packed tomorrow. Laycock sent an email to the entire student body urging them to come out en masse- hopefully that leads to a good atmosphere.

URMite
November 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Will W&M be the 1st team this season to score 3 TDs against UR in the 1st 59 minutes?

Quite possibly, but I'm still hoping for a 31-21 victory! xprayx

MacThor
November 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah all these predictions of a high-scoring game must think W&M is the best offense Richmond has faced all year. JMU got 38 (15 in the last minute w/a punt return). Villanova got 26. Nobody else scored more than 17, and a even a lot of those measly points were scored in garbage time.

tandemlax
November 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
WM has put up at least 24 in each game. While it was a soft 24 last week at JMU, no other team has come close to shutting down the offense for 60 minutes. I'd say that WM is as likely to go over 30 as they are to be held under 20 against UR.

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM
WM has put up at least 24 in each game. While it was a soft 24 last week at JMU, no other team has come close to shutting down the offense for 60 minutes. I'd say that WM is as likely to go over 30 as they are to be held under 20 against UR.

I am thinking a 24-21 type score...

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
I agree that the score is going to be lower ... especially because it will be cold and somewhat windy.

I suspect the first team to 20 wins.

Longhorn
November 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
ever heard of the Army of Northern VIrginia?

yep...and I think it's still stuck in rush hour commuter traffic. xsmiley_wix

Longhorn
November 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
you asked for opinions from JMU fans. here's mine:

W&M will get killed in this game. i think there is a big disparity (is that the word i'm looking for?) in talent, especially on defense. Richmond and Nova are by far the best defenses we've played all season. add in their KR (Justin something, right?) who can change field position...

UR 41
W&M 28

W&M gets some late scores to make it look more competitive, but i think they will be absolutely dominated from start to finish.

This game would be my choice for "game of the week"...but I have to agree with 99...I don't think the Tribe matches up well with Richmond's defense. Unless Ward has a subpar game, this one could be over early. And if Ward plays like he did against JMU, and UR's big hoss RB gets rolling...ewww....it could get ugly. W&M has it in them to pull off the upset if Phillips has an all-CAA type game, but with all due respect, the Tribe will be doing well to keep it within two scores.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Richmond D is easily the best we've seen all year. Just got our first first down of the game with 4:32 left in the HALF. Luckily our D has held as well as it possibly can so far, and Richmond O hasn't taken advantage. Only down 10-0.

No idea what adjustments Jimmye will be able to make at halftime to deal with this defense. Phillips looks completely rattled with 3 INTs so far and tentative on his other throws as a result.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Wow, make that 4 INTs for Phillips in the first half. Richmond return for a TD makes it 17-0. Sad to see Jake end his career like this.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Wow. UR has intercepted Phillips 4 times already in the first half.

StrikeJMU
November 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Richmond's Defense= nasty. Take it from a JMU fan, you don't want to play Richmond in the playoffs, they can frustrate even the best offenses.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Not even like the pressure has caused these interceptions. They are just horrible passes.

Gotta give overall credit to Richmond D though.

redspider
November 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Wow 4 interception in a half way to go Spiders you are seeing our vaunted D at it best this is one of the big things London has done make our defense play up to its best. The only thing that bothers me is that we only have 17 point off of 4 INTS. Lets go Spiders!

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Archer better get in the 2nd half

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Archer better get in the 2nd half

Jimmye won't sit Jake in his final college game. He'll play this one to the wire.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Richmond D stat line for the first half:

4 Interceptions
3 Sacks
1 Fumble Recovery
1 Touchdown
1 First Down Allowed

And this against the #2 offense in the CAA.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Jimmye won't sit Jake in his final college game. He'll play this one to the wire.

While not likely to win, the game is not over (New Hampshire game). Phillips is out of it. While it would be a bad way to end his career, Jimmye still has to coach to win the game.

Maybe I'd give Jake 1 possession then pull him.

Bettina90
November 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I saw 2 of the 3 sacks and they were just bonecrushers, too. That may be the worst stat line out of a college QB I've ever seen in a half.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Another INT on W&M's opening drive of the half.

Jake Phillips is 4/16, 21 yards, 5 int.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
No problem with this INT. (stupid play call though - should have punted). 4th down and it cost Richmond 25 yards because of it.

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Not even like the pressure has caused these interceptions. They are just horrible passes.

Gotta give overall credit to Richmond D though.

Looks like pressure is there to me. Alot of hurried throws.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
No problem with this INT. (stupid play call though - should have punted). 4th down and it cost Richmond 25 yards because of it.

I agreed that it was 4 down territory, but we should've run it on 3rd down to set up a 4th a short. McCauley over the middle would've been a better option than throwing deep, but you can't blame Jake for a receiver falling down.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Looks like pressure is there to me. Alot of hurried throws.

Lots of pressure in general, but the INTs have generally just been awful throws on the INTs.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM

Oh, I have the sound muted because I'm listening to the JMU game...didn't realize.

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Lots of pressure in general, but the INTs have generally just been awful throws on the INTs.

Agreed,Running game isn't working at all either.This could get worse.

wocorebel
November 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I Am Sorry, but this isn't the Oldest Rivalry in the South. That would be Furman V. Wofford today. You guys are posting in the wrong thread.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I Am Sorry, but this isn't the Oldest Rivalry in the South. That would be Furman V. Wofford today. You guys are posting in the wrong thread.

Richmond/W&M is the oldest rivalry in the South (most games played). UVA/UNC technically was played first, but not as frequently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_and_Mary_Tribe#Rivalries

wocorebel
November 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I really don't think most games played should dictate what is the oldest rivalry.

StonewallSpider
November 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
The tribe is coming back 20-6 with 10:22 in the 4th

redspider
November 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Wow that interception by Shoop the six does it and I have to say I really havent been impressed by the offense but wow how about the D. This is the best I hav esen them play all year we leaned on them today to win this game and they came through. My only concern is that our offense will have to show up in the playoffs to win especially Eric Ward.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Too little too late? 20-13 Richmond 3:02 to go. All 3 TOs for the Tribe left.

Onsides kick?

redspider
November 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Damn that return I may have spoken to soon.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Tribe ball on the onsides kick

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
W&M's playing a different game this half.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
1st down tribe Richmond 35. 1:48 to go

Why can't we play 2 good halves

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
1st down Tribe at the 9 yard line.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
OMG, please punch this in!!!!!!

WoffDoc04
November 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Richmond/W&M is the oldest rivalry in the South (most games played). UVA/UNC technically was played first, but not as frequently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_and_Mary_Tribe#Rivalries

I know you quoted the indisputable reference source Wikipedia, but 118 meetings in 111 years seems a little questionable. If it is true, maybe you guys should think about changing the name of the thread to "The Frequentest Rivalry in the South."

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
WOWWWWWWWWWWw

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
3rd and goal from the 1.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
TD

StonewallSpider
November 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
25 seconds left 3rd and goal inches from the goal line

charliej
WOW! I had written this game off.... W&M Ties it up with 18 seconds!!

bullseye44
wow. 7 turnovers and we manage to force OT

WoffDoc04
Sorry for interrupting such an exciting game with that dose of sarcasm. Carry on.

Bettina90
Wow. London's terrible offensive playcalling could keep us out of the playoffs. This game should be nowhere within reach.

StonewallSpider
go for 2?

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
maybe. don't do anything stupid!!

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Heckuva comeback by W&M!

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
This feels like the Delaware playoff game.

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
I know you quoted the indisputable reference source Wikipedia, but 118 meetings in 111 years seems a little questionable. If it is true, maybe you guys should think about changing the name of the thread to "The Frequentest Rivalry in the South."

Clearly everyone on this thread except you acknowledges this as the oldest, move along and go watch what's turned out to be a great game.

Bettina90
November 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Well, maybe Phillips has another INT left in him. Just brutal.

tribe_pride
Going to OT for a playoff berth

bullseye44
This feels like the Delaware playoff game.

Yes. Derek Cox meet Stephen Cason. xthumbsupx

Dukie95
wow

Bettina90
November 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Richmond really needs to learn when and how to punt the ball the F out of bounds.

art vandelay
is this game on the internet

art vandelay
quick let me know i dont want to miss it

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
really is it on the internet? anyone.

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
try cn8.com

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
nope just deleware

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
why in gods name does deleware get to be on cn8

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Damn. FG blocked. Bad call on a 1st down by WM that was ruled incomplete

IaaScribe
November 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
UR had a field-goal blocked?

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Richmond to attempt a 36 yard field goal

alexale23
the guys name who said dam is tribe pride what u think

charliej
why in gods name does deleware get to be on cn8
UD-Nova game is on every year.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
WM calls a TO to ice Richmond kicker who is 1 of 2 today.

Sorry Richmond blocked a 42 or 43 yarder from WM

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Game over

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Spiders win it in OT 23-20

art vandelay
did he make it!!!

bostonspider
Thank god. Great comeback from W&M though

alexale23
sorry tribe great comeback good year

StonewallSpider
November 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Howard is my boy, I've got some stories about that kid

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
oh yeh u better root hard for liberty u may still get in

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Yahoo.com has William and Mary as the winner. AHAHHAHAHHA

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/scoreboard?&w=13&c=iaa_all

SFspidur
November 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
^^^They got that error from W&M's live stats. They credited a field goal to #10, but on the wrong team, so it shows that Tribe frosh LB Jabrel Mines kicked a FG. :)

alexale23
November 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
maybe they won

tandemlax
November 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Fantastic game that had a definite playoff feel to it. Those that left after Phillips' INT #6 missed the most entertaining 4 minutes of Tribe football I've seen. WM managed to pair their worst offensive game of the year with their best defensive one. Though WM is almost certainly not a playoff team this year, I definitely think I watched two of the nations top 16 teams square off this afternoon.

Bettina90
November 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Damn. FG blocked. Bad call on a 1st down by WM that was ruled incomplete

That was not a bad call, Bruener on the broadcast had that wrong. That ball rolled out right before it hit the ground and the ref (before he got hit by Rogers) was right on top of it.

DTSpider
November 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
What a weird game. UR's offense was just pathetic in the second half. Ran the same damn play almost every time and produced 1 first down in the second half. So, UR's defense got tired and W&M made a great comeback. UR continues to have major special teams problems.

Most calls today were pretty good. That pass in OT was most definitely incomplete, it was right in front of us and you could see it coming lose as he was falling. On before Tribe fans complain about the 2nd quarter pass interference call, you could see the corner reach out and grab the WR's jersey after 5 yards and just hang on, so it looked like nothing at the time the ball got there, but there's a reason the WR couldn't get there. Of course, the clock run-off at the end of the first half was a disaster, can't understand why that happened.

spdram
November 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Rivarly games, you never know what is going to happen! This is one neither team will forget for years to come. Hats off to W&M team and staff for the second half comeback!

Although I don't think the selection committee will put you in I believe you deserve to be in the playoffs.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Wow. London's terrible offensive playcalling could keep us out of the playoffs. This game should be nowhere within reach.

London doesn't call the plays, but yes the selection was awful. Your first clock-eater drive of the 4th quarter and you pass on all three downs?

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
If the season was comprised of only second halves, we'd be 10-1. Its a shame they count the first 30 minutes! :D

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
That was not a bad call, Bruener on the broadcast had that wrong. That ball rolled out right before it hit the ground and the ref (before he got hit by Rogers) was right on top of it.

WM receiver had possession when his knee hit the ground and before he lost control of the ball.

Possession + down knee = completion

The player is down when his knee hits, not when the ball hits the ground.

No excuses, and we may still have lost, but that was a blown call.

ur2k
November 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
WM receiver had possession when his knee hit the ground and before he lost control of the ball.

Wrong, It was right in front of us live and he never had the ball under control before it came out for good. I also watched it on via DVR upon returning home and felt the same way.

Good job by W&M today to come back. Our offensive play calling and execution were miserable in the 2nd half. We were very fortunate to come out with a win. You think with 7 TOs you waltz to a win. Our offensive coordinator didn't let us do that today.

ur2k
November 22nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Richmond really needs to learn when and how to punt the ball the F out of bounds.

Don't agree with that in this case (yes for the JMU game). Our coverage team was there, we just didn't make the G-D tackle. We had 4 guys at the ball and didn't put the guy down.

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Wrong, It was right in front of us live and he never had the ball under control before it came out for good. I also watched it on via DVR upon returning home and felt the same way.

He had control, guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but the oimpartial announcers saw it my way FWIW. Good luck in the playoffs.

Bettina90
November 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM

Agree with ur2k here. Tribe90, if you have access, go back and look at it. Your boy caught the ball but lost possession (the ball rolled out of his hands) before knee or ball hit the ground. I am not one to be a homer, if I saw/thought otherwise I would admit it but the ref had a better view than anyone (thankfully, cause it was a huge call) I would freely admit we stole one after all that took place.

Bettina90
November 22nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Don't agree with that in this case (yes for the JMU game). Our coverage team was there, we just didn't make the G-D tackle. We had 4 guys at the ball and didn't put the guy down.

You are missing the point. If UR just kicks the ball out of bounds and reasonably deep then W&M has an uphill battle. Has to go down the field down 14 with 3 minutes left. I would rather give them the ball at midfield or at the UR's 40 than a quick Punt return that immediately gets them back in the game and the ability to do an onside kick.

ur2k
November 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Bett - I hear what you're saying but that's the same sort of thinking that I think stalled our O in the 2nd half - Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

If our coverage guys do what they are supposed to do and wrap that guy up since they were on him - this is a moot point. We actually made the return guy juggle the ball with a hit but he did a great job to regain possesion and get down the field.

And Tribe - I would probably be saying the same thing in your shoes. It's was close but I think it was called correctly. Heck, if it was a catch, with the way it came out of his hands on the way down, it would've been a fumble and Justin Rogers had recovered it and then laid out the official.xeyebrowx

Bettina90
November 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I just wanted them to face our D all the way down the field instead of a quick/easy TD on the punt return. Kicking it OB would have ensured that.

But there is no way that could have been a fumble cause if he caught it then the ground could not have caused it. He rolled the ball in his hands on the way down and it was subtle but it was there on replay. Great call but the official was right there.

Yosef@therock
November 23rd, 2008, 06:00 AM
AMEN!!!!!!!!!! How about the Mid-Atlantic Bowl?