PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008 Harvard-Yale Thread!

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
The 125th version of The Game will, as usual, have a direct bearing on the Ivy race. It's still possible to have a 4-way tie at 5-2, if Yale beats Harvard, Columbia beats Brown and Penn beats Cornell. Brown and Harvard wins will mean a 2-way tie at 6-1. Yale's stout D will be tested by Harvard's aerial attack. Another capacity crowd of 30,000+ will pack Harvard Stadium for this one.

YaleFootballFan
November 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
It's also the 40th Anniversary of the The Tie, which I'm sure Harvard will honor this weekend. I'm sure Coach Cozza is dreading that.

The road team usually has the advantage in this series. The main reason: less distractions.

Harvard Worship
November 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Another capacity crowd of 30,000+ will pack Harvard Stadium for this one.

I'll be in that crowd, flying back all the way from California. Let's hope its a good one.

THE GAME is finally here!

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Let's hope for a close and exciting game this year. Too many blowouts in this decade. In the 2000's only the 2002 and 2005 games have been decided by a TD or less.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Let's hope for a close and exciting game this year. Too many blowouts in this decade. In the 2000's only the 2002 and 2005 games have been decided by a TD or less.

I think it will be relatively low-scoring, like 20-17 one way or the other.

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I'm going to do extensive research, looking into both teams tendencies on both offense and defense.

I'm going to read newspaper articles, study the games from the past two years and watch all the video I can find from this year.

I'm going to investigate the relationship between the coaches, how they react to each others moves, and their relationship with their coaching staff.

I'm going to account for home field, revenge factors, talent at the key positions, and how each team has progressed during the season.

I am studying weather patterns and how individual players react to certain weather conditions especially wind. It's always windy at the Stadium.

Then I will disregard all that stuff and pick Yale. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Then I will disregard all that stuff and pick Yale. xthumbsupx

How did I ever guess that punch line?:p :D

Cleets
November 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
24 - 10
10,000 men xnodx win

YaleFootballFan
November 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM

I don't know if can handle another triple OT game like the one in '05.

If we do end up seeing one, at least Harvard Stadium has lights. xrolleyesx

YaleFootballFan
November 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Greatest prank ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjJCh0ffs0)

http://www.yaleclub.de/newsletters/images/2005_12_29_harvard_sucks.jpg

Let the pranks begin! xlolx

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Just saw a forecast. Will be bitchin' cold! How about that Ice Bowl of '87? 14-10, anyone?

YaleFootballFan
November 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Just saw a forecast. Will be bitchin' cold! How about that Ice Bowl of '87? 14-10, anyone?

Ahhh....there's nothing like sitting on ice cold concrete!

I'll take 14-10, just as long as the scoreboard this time reads Yale 14, Harvard 10. xnodx

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Greatest prank ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjJCh0ffs0)

Let the pranks begin! xlolx

Of course, you have to watch out for M.I.T. pranks, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSt73eg0GXk&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwICCHqaHxk&feature=related

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I remember the '82 MIT balloon very well. I also remember that Harvard kicked azz that day!:D

Husky Alum
November 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM

I was a Senior in High School. Got tickets at the last minute. Wore a sweatshirt, thermal top, sneakers without socks - don't ask why, I was 17.

It was FREAKING COLD. We drank schnapps during most of the game.

I'll never forget that game. I still have the ticket stub in my office.

At the time I hadn't torn up my knee and had told both Harvard and Yale I wasn't interested (I wanted to go to Columbia), so my friends joked with me that I had no right going to the game - but I'm glad I did.

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I remember the '82 MIT balloon very well. I also remember that Harvard kicked azz that day!:D

That WAS the only highlight I remember from that year. xbawlingx

That and dinner at the Publik House in Sturbridge. We always stopped there to eat after the game(THE game).

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I was a Senior in High School. Got tickets at the last minute. Wore a sweatshirt, thermal top, sneakers without socks - don't ask why, I was 17.

At the time I hadn't torn up my knee and had told both Harvard and Yale I wasn't interested (I wanted to go to Columbia), so my friends joked with me that I had no right going to the game - but I'm glad I did.

I'm not sure if I have the ticket stub or not. I always kept the stub for away games, but only for significant home victories or special games like the 100th Yale-Harvard game. I may have kept all the stubs from 1987 since Kelly Ryan was such a special player.

Edit to add: I recorded the ICE BOWL, it was on TV, probably ESPN, but lost it somehow. Probably because Yale lost I didn't think about it again after watching it once and I THINK someone may have recorded over it, but I just may have lost it when I moved. I would love to watch it again despite the loss. It's now historical.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM

If I remember correctly, Harvard's big RB that year who ran for the winning TD was from Montana, so the cold didn't affect him!:)

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If I remember correctly, Harvard's big RB that year who ran for the winning TD was from Montana, so the cold didn't affect him!:)

I remember that Yale had to punt from their own endzone against the wind. I think the punt went 15 yards. Harvard took over on the Yale 20 then ran it in for the TD. No complaint about the punter. The wind was probably 35 MPH. He had no chance.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I remember that Yale had to punt from their own endzone against the wind. I think the punt went 15 yards. Harvard took over on the Yale 20 then ran it in for the TD. No complaint about the punter. The wind was probably 35 MPH. He had no chance.

And then you had the '02 Game in Cambridge, where the objective was to score as many points as possible during the two quarters you had the wind.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Saturday's forecast for Cambridge: sunny, high of 40 degrees.

YaleFootballFan
November 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure if I have the ticket stub or not. I always kept the stub for away games, but only for significant home victories or special games like the 100th Yale-Harvard game. I may have kept all the stubs from 1987 since Kelly Ryan was such a special player.

Edit to add: I recorded the ICE BOWL, it was on TV, probably ESPN, but lost it somehow. Probably because Yale lost I didn't think about it again after watching it once and I THINK someone may have recorded over it, but I just may have lost it when I moved. I would love to watch it again despite the loss. It's now historical.

I have the ticket stub from 100th Y/H game in '83. I also still have all my ticket stubs from the '87 season, including all the away games (except for Hawaii). The 1987 season was special...Kelly Ryan, Mike Stewart, Dean Anthanasia, the great comebacks against UConn, William & Mary and Penn, etc. It's a shame that team didn't win the Ivy. The '87 and '07 teams are the two best Yale teams to NOT win the Ivy title.

The 1987 Yale/Harvard game was televised on PBS. If I search my attic I probably would find the tape of that game.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have the ticket stub from 100th Y/H game in '83. I also still have all my ticket stubs from the '87 season, including all the away games (except for Hawaii). The 1987 season was special...Kelly Ryan, Mike Stewart, Dean Anthanasia, the great comebacks against UConn, William & Mary and Penn, etc. It's a shame that team didn't win the Ivy. The '87 and '07 teams are the two best Yale teams to NOT win the Ivy title.

The 1987 Yale/Harvard game was televised on PBS. If I search my attic I probably would find the tape of that game.

I KNOW I have the Hawaii ticket stub. ;)

YaleFootballFan
November 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I KNOW I have the Hawaii ticket stub. ;)

You went to Hawaii? Wow!

I remember listening to the game on WELI at 2 AM.

After the Hawaii game, I pretty much attended every Yale game (home and away) for the next several years. The game at Central Florida in 1993 broke my consecutive game streak.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
You went to Hawaii? Wow!

I remember listening to the game on WELI at 2 AM.

After the Hawaii game, I pretty much attended every Yale game (home and away) for the next several years. The game at Central Florida in 1993 broke my consecutive game streak.

I attended every Yale home game from 1973-1989 (and only missed a couple from '67-'72). I started going to the away games in 1974, missed the Harvard game that year, but saw all games home and away after that through the '89 season.

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Harvard's Ryan Barnes was named national defensive player of the week for his 3-pick performance against Penn last weekend.xthumbsupx

Hope he comes up with one or two more this Saturday...xcoolx

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

Backed into a corner?

Yale could have both of its starting corners when it goes against the most dynamic offense in the Ivy League or could be without either of them for Saturday's game at Harvard.

Paul Rice has been on the field for one play - a punt - in the last two weeks because of a troublesome knee. At Tuesday's media luncheon, Yale coach Jack Siedlecki said Rice is better than he was a week ago when Rice was ruled out for the Princeton game by mid-week but Rice may not know if he can go or not until he attempts to go full speed during pre-game drills on Saturday.

The case of Casey Gerald is not injury related. Gerald will fly to Houston on Thursday and will undergo interviews in an attempt to become the eighth Yale football player to be named a Rhodes Scholar. The hope is to have Gerald on a flight from Houston to Boston Friday night but the exact details are still being worked out. Gerald wants to play in the Harvard game enough that he reached out to the committee to express his intention on being with Yale as he plays the final game of his football career. In Wednesday's edition of the Register, there will be more on Gerald's remarkable journey from a rough childhood where both of his parents left the family because of their drug addictions and became not only a three-year starter at Yale, but has a chance to become one of the most decorated student-athletes to ever suit up at Yale.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
40 years (I was 17 years old watching on closed circuit TV in the old New Haven Arena)

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/movies/19harv.html

Back in 1968, When a Tie Was No Tie

For most of the world, I suspect, the year 1968 signifies upheaval, revolution, power to the people, Vietnam and My Lai, Paris in flames, Martin and Bobby, Nixon versus Humphrey. Another great rivalry played out that year in the form of a college football game. And while it seems absurd to include such a picayune event in the annals, the filmmaker Kevin Rafferty makes the case for remembrance and for the art of the story in his preposterously entertaining documentary “Harvard Beats Yale 29-29,” preposterous at least for those of us who routinely shun that pagan sacrament.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
40 years (I was 17 years old watching on closed circuit TV in the old New Haven Arena)

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/movies/19harv.html

Back in 1968, When a Tie Was No Tie

For most of the world, I suspect, the year 1968 signifies upheaval, revolution, power to the people, Vietnam and My Lai, Paris in flames, Martin and Bobby, Nixon versus Humphrey. Another great rivalry played out that year in the form of a college football game. And while it seems absurd to include such a picayune event in the annals, the filmmaker Kevin Rafferty makes the case for remembrance and for the art of the story in his preposterously entertaining documentary “Harvard Beats Yale 29-29,” preposterous at least for those of us who routinely shun that pagan sacrament.

You old phart! In November 1968, I was a ninth-grader with zits who was more concerned about girls, my "buds" and my HS football team. All I knew about Harvard was that my mother's brother had gone there ('48 grad). I knew bupkis about Yale. I really didn't hear about "The Tie" until my freshman year at H four years later.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Harvard favored by 5

http://www.docsports.com/5dimes.html

YaleFootballFan
November 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Harvard favored by 5

http://www.docsports.com/5dimes.html

Not surprised Harvard is favored.

Wasn't Yale a 7 point favorite last year?

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Not surprised Harvard is favored.

Wasn't Yale a 7 point favorite last year?

THE HOME TEAM SHOULD ALWAYS BE A 3-POINT DOG IN THIS SERIES!

brownbear
November 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Current spreads:

Harvard -5
Brown -14
Princeton -14
Penn -5

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Current spreads:

Harvard -5
Brown -14
Princeton -14
Penn -5

All the Yale money will come flooding in on Friday, pushing the spread to Yale -3!:D

But I couldn't live off the vigorish....;)

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.gocrimson.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=41065&SPID=3659&DB_OEM_ID=9000&ATCLID=1628363

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The 125th playing of “The Game” between Harvard and Yale on Saturday is officially sold out. Select student tickets remain and are being distributed on campus.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.gocrimson.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=41065&SPID=3659&DB_OEM_ID=9000&ATCLID=1628363

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The 125th playing of “The Game” between Harvard and Yale on Saturday is officially sold out. Select student tickets remain and are being distributed on campus.

No surprise there. As always, The Game has the biggest and most enthusiastic Ivy crowd of the year.

Latest Cambridge Saturday forecast calls for "flurries" but sun in the afternoon. High of 32, low of 23.:)

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Just looked at the Yale stats. Mike McLeod is about 400 yards behind Clifton Dawson's all-time Ivy rushing record and is 6 TDs behind Dawson as well. However, McLeod only needs 41 yards to move past Nick Hartigan into 4th place on the all-time Ivy rushing list. He needs about 200 yards to catch Cornell's Chad Levitt for 3rd place, but he's never broken the century mark against Harvard.

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Just looked at the Yale stats. Mike McLeod is about 400 yards behind Clifton Dawson's all-time Ivy rushing record and is 6 TDs behind Dawson as well. However, McLeod only needs 41 yards to move past Nick Hartigan into 4th place on the all-time Ivy rushing list. He needs about 200 yards to catch Cornell's Chad Levitt for 3rd place, but he's never broken the century mark against Harvard.

He has a shot at 41 yards.

6 TD's? Has Yale even had 6 TD's total in the previous 9 games? I mean by the offense. xlolx

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I'll be in that crowd, flying back all the way from California. Let's hope its a good one.

THE GAME is finally here!Get a bunch of good photos!

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

The status of Yale junior cornerback Paul Rice probably won't be known until just before kickoff. Rice missed last week's game against Princeton and was limited to just one play the previous week against Brown with a knee injury. Rice, who is tied for the team lead with Bobby Abare with four interceptions, won't attempt to go full speed until the pre-game warmups.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
He has a shot at 41 yards.

6 TD's? Has Yale even had 6 TD's total in the previous 9 games? I mean by the offense. xlolx

Could this turn out to be another 10-7 Game, like '75? I remember freezing my azz off at the Bowl that year. I think there were 66,000 others similarly situated.

No Ivy team has held Harvard under 20 points since the '06 Yale contest, so you could say we're "due."

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Could this turn out to be another 10-7 Game, like '75? I remember freezing my azz off at the Bowl that year. I think there were 66,000 others similarly situated.

No Ivy team has held Harvard under 20 points since the '06 Yale contest, so you could say we're "due."

Everytime I see Stone Phillips on TV I remember the '75 game and curse him. (It wasn't necessarily his fault, but the QB gets the blame)

If Harvard scores 20 or more Saturday it's over. Unless Yale has some defensive TD's.

bonarae
November 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
No surprise here at looking back, '68 is one of the greatest editions of The Game ever played:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/11/20/68_is_still_the_one_most_remembered/

Even now, the game comes up among people who weren't born 40 years ago. "They say they won that, right?" says Bobby Abare, Yale's current captain. In Cambridge, they still believe that Harvard "beat" Yale, 29-29, in 1968. That's what the famous Crimson headline declared and that's the title of the documentary produced by Harvard man Kevin Rafferty that is showing this weekend at the Brattle Theatre.

And that's how the Bulldogs felt that day, after Harvard scored 16 points in the final minute to mar their perfect season. "To us it felt like a loss, after winning 16 in a row and the way we outplayed them," says former Yale coach Carm Cozza.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Everytime I see Stone Phillips on TV I remember the '75 game and curse him. (It wasn't necessarily his fault, but the QB gets the blame)

If Harvard scores 20 or more Saturday it's over. Unless Yale has some defensive TD's.

Phillips scored the lone Yale TD that day. I was sitting in that end of the Bowl. Tommy Winn evened it up for Harvard in the 3Q on a short plunge, and Mike Lynch's "knuckleball" FG won it. Neither offense did much that day. My hallmate Pete Mee got a big sack of Phillips in the closing minutes.

bonarae
November 21st, 2008, 04:12 AM
One of the unsung heroes of the '68 The Game was a reserve QB, Frank Champi, a junior.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/11/20/man_of_the_moment/

After four decades, memories become deficient - or convenient. There are people who are certain that Frank Champi was the quarterback for all of that remarkable season - or only for the final 42 seconds. And there isn't an Old Crimson who won't swear that he was standing on a Stadium seat when Harvard "beat" Yale, 29-29, in 1968. "That would make the attendance around 1,340,000," Champi reckons wryly. "It's great to distort history."

Champi, who grew up in Everett and now lives on the North Shore, was the backup quarterback behind George Lalich that autumn. He was summoned from the bench in the second quarter with his teammates three touchdowns behind and engineered one of the most extraordinary comebacks in football history, as the Crimson scored 16 last-minute points to defeat (the Cambridge version) or tie (the New Haven version) their archrivals in an historic battle of unbeatens.

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Phillips scored the lone Yale TD that day. I was sitting in that end of the Bowl. Tommy Winn evened it up for Harvard in the 3Q on a short plunge, and Mike Lynch's "knuckleball" FG won it. Neither offense did much that day. My hallmate Pete Mee got a big sack of Phillips in the closing minutes.

Me too.

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2008, 06:08 AM
One of the unsung heroes of the '68 The Game was a reserve QB, Frank Champi, a junior.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/11/20/man_of_the_moment/

I don't think Champi was an "unsung" hero. He was very "sung" after the game. xlolx

And I think he quit football the next year.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I'm "all talked out" and am ready for The Game to begin! My next post on this thread will appear on Saturday after the contest is over. Best of luck to both teams...but a little bit more to Harvard!:)

UNH Fanboi
November 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Well, I say let Harvard have its football and academics. Yale will always be first in gentlemanly club life.

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Rumor has it that Yale won the JV game 21-6.

Cleets
November 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm so excited for the game tomorrow I can hardly stand it..!!! xbowx

24-10 Harvard :p

~

bonarae
November 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Just a series of two articles regarding The Game (both good reads):

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/11/21/unique_tie/ - a look back of The Game's history and its significance to the two teams and their players and coaches

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/11/21/10_to_remember/ - a list of the 10 greatest editions of The Game ever played

YaleFootballFan
November 21st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Rumor has it that Yale won the JV game 21-6.

That may not be a good sign for tomorrow. The winner of Friday's JV game usually ends up losing Saturday's varsity game.

Just look at the last three years.....

JV - Yale wins 42-28
Varsity - Harvard wins 37-6

JV - Harvard wins 62-29
Varsity - Yale wins 34-13

JV - Yale wins 22-19
Varsity - Harvard wins 30-24 3OT

Hopefully Yale can make it a clean sweep and not fall victim to this pattern.

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM
http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112108aaa.html

The Day Before
No Chance For a Tie 40 Years Later

Nov. 21, 2008

The day before The Game is not just about the varsities of Yale and Harvard preparing for the 125th gridiron meeting. In addition to the Bulldog and Crimson junior varsity squads battling on the synthetic surface of Harvard Stadium early in the afternoon, there were luncheons, dinners, receptions and an alumni touch football game today along the banks of the river Charles. In addition, the eve of The Game brought the premier of the movie Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29 at a Cambridge theater.

It's quite possible that no other rivals could gather former players in the same room for an annual luncheon the day before the big game. Despite the emotional toll The Game tends to have on its student-athletes, former players and other alumni, the guys who used to be the combatants in this historic event come together to share their experiences. They talk about the old times and the next game while breaking bread and reveling in the spirit of the sport's value in a way scholarship schools could never comprehend.

The Tim Clark Luncheon, named after a former Harvard player (Yale's luncheon on odd years is named after Walt Levering '33), is the venue for that rivalry gathering. It was held today in the magnificent athletics history room of the Murr Center. The crew shells that hang from the ceiling and the timeline of Crimson athletic history on the walls create the perfect backdrop for former college athletes who competed in the one of sports' most historic rivalries.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Articles on today's Game:

New Haven Register: Twin Powers: Abares suit up together for final time in 'The Game' (http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2008/11/22/sports/22-yale_fb_feature.txt)

Boston Globe: Harvard, Yale on a collision course (http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/11/22/harvard_yale_on_a_collision_course/)

Boston Herald: Harvard vs. Yale: New wrinkle to The Game (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/2008_11_21_Harvard_vs__Yale:_New_wrinkle_to_The_Ga me/)

Hartford Courant: Yale's Casey Gerald Combines The Best Of Different Worlds (http://www.courant.com/sports/columnists/hc-jeffcol1122.artnov22,0,4679838.column)

Husky Alum
November 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
There was some smack talk going on yesterday afternoon at the Harvard Club in downtown Boston.

Believe it or not the Harvard Club lets NU alumni join (we have rights everywhere except for the clubhouse in the Back Bay), and I thought it was quite fun watching middle aged men talk about games from the past.

When I chimed in about my memories from H-Y games in New Haven from my youth, someone asked when I graduated from Yale, and I said "I didn't", someone asked when I graduated fro Harvard and I said "I didn't" - I got some puzzled looks when I told them I went to Northeastern and that I was a member of the Harvard Club.

Anyway, I'm going to NU-URI today. My dad and I toyed with the idea of going to H-Y in Cambridge since we've never seen an H-Y game in Cambridge together, but we'll wait for another day.

Go Elis!!!

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Pre game show on WYBC 1340.

Listen online at www.wybc.com (http://www.wybc.com/)

Reporters from the Yale Daily News have a live game blog of today's Game. Yale Daily News Game Blog (http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/26695)

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Pre game show on WYBC 1340.

Listen online at www.wybc.com (http://www.wybc.com/)

Reporters from the Yale Daily News have a live game blog of today's Game. Yale Daily News Game Blog (http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/26695)

YFF, I thought you would be going to the game (THE game). xconfusedx

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
YFF, I thought you would be going to the game (THE game). xconfusedx

Nope, not this year. I'll be sitting in my warm living room watching everyone else freeze at The Game! :p

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Pre game on VERSUS.

Kickoff in 4 minutes.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
26 degrees at Harvard Stadium.

Yale wins the coin toss; Harvard will receive.

The 125th Game is underway!

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Well, the one thing Yale couldn't afford to have happen, happened. They hand Harvard a TD.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Another costly turnover on the onside kick gives Harvard the ball AGAIN.

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
If Yale's not careful, this is going to be a repeat of last year.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Harvard 32 yard FG no good. Wide left.

Yale's offense has yet to play a down. 3:25 left in the first quarter.

7-0 Crimson.

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Yale's offense has been sitting for half an hour. I'll be curious to see how they react.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
End of the first quarter. 7-0 Harvard.

No score at Brown. 14:50 left in the first quarter there.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
One Quarter in the books

7-0 Harvard Crimson xnodx

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Not good.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Missed from short range... Harvard gets the ball back

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Usually automatic, Mante misses a 24 yard field goal. Wide left.

Still 7-0 Crimson.

Brown and Columbia tied 7-7 in the first period.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Harvard fumbles. Yale recovers at the 41.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yale Fumbles - Harvard recovers...

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
This has been a Game of turnovers and missed opportunities.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Harvard driving inside the 20...

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Usually automatic, Mante misses a 24 yard field goal. Wide left.

Still 7-0 Crimson.

Brown and Columbia tied 7-7 in the first period.

Saw no reason to try that FG. We already saw what happened to Harvard's FG attempt at the same end.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Saw no reason to try that FG. We already saw what happened to Harvard's FG attempt at the same end.

another horrible FG attempt xlolx Harvard hacks that

7-0 at the half

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
another horrible FG attempt xlolx Harvard hacks that

7-0 at the half

Harvard might have an advantage just because they kicked their XP. I don't think ANY place kicks will be automatic.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Brown takes a 14-7 lead on Columbia midway through the 2nd quarter.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Harvard might have an advantage just because they kicked their XP. I don't think ANY place kicks will be automatic.

I hadn't considered that...
the way it looks on the field right now (you're right) an extra point could be the game

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Some stats....

For Harvard, Pizzotti is 10-for-16 for 92 yards. Gordon has 14 carries for 54 yards. For Yale, McLeod has 14 carries for 50 yards, and Brook Hart is 2-for-2 for 27 yards.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Brown now up 17-7 in the second quarter.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Halftime in Providence. Brown leads 24-10.

Yale with an 11 yard punt, thanks to a big Harvard bounce.

First and 10 Crimson at the Harvard 26.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
According to the YDN, Ted Kennedy is in attendance.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
12:13 left in the fourth quarter.

10-0 Harvard.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Harvard getting first downs and eating up the clock.

Doesn't look good for Yale.

5:30 left. 10-0 Crimson.

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Harvard getting first downs and eating up the clock.

Doesn't look good for Yale.

5:30 left. 10-0 Crimson.

I hate the fact that I thought at halftime that Yale had no shot.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yale's offense has been pathetic today. Absolutely pathetic.

Congratulations Harvard on winning the Ivy title.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Brown is leading Columbia 41-10.

Harvard and Brown will share the 2008 Ivy League crown.

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Congrats to Harvard. They seem to always make the plays when they have to.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
FINAL SCORE: Harvard 10, Yale 0.

First shutout in The Game since 1992 (Harvard 14-0).

For the third consecutive year, the winner of The Game wins the Ivy title (Yale 2006, Harvard 2007 & 2008).

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I think it's time for Jack to think about moving on.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I think it's time for Jack to think about moving on.

Jack just can't win the big one.

He'll hear about this all offseason long....

From the YDN Game Blog: (http://yaledailynews.com/articles/view/26695)

What are you thinking?! With under two minutes remaining and the ball on the 2-yard line after a Crimson defensive pass interference call. Instead of giving it off to one of the best running backs in Ivy League history, coach Siedlecki tried his luck with two consecutive passes to avoid losing valuable time — and it came back to haunt him. As Hart dropped back to pass, he was hit and fumbled the ball. The Crimson recovered the ball and have no milked the clock off.

Understandably, McLeod left the field for the final time in his career in anger. The decision not to go to him with the game on the line will be one that will be questioned for a long time — and deservedly so.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Final from Providence. Brown wins 41-10.

Penn is leading Cornell 20-6 in the 4th quarter, so it appears the Quakers will claim 3rd place in the Ivy with a 5-2 record. Yale will finish 4th.

Yale's Offense today: 90 yards of total offense and five first downs.

Terrible.

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Final from Providence. Brown wins 41-10.

Penn is leading Cornell 20-6 in the 4th quarter, so it appears the Quakers will claim 3rd place in the Ivy with a 5-2 record. Yale will finish 4th.

Terrible.

How about two years in a row with ZERO offensive TD's. Harvard has a nice defense, but not that nice.

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
how many people were there?

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
how many people were there?

it was a sellout which is about 31,000

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM

That sounds familiar to me... xeyebrowx

Seriously, Harvard's defense has always been troublesome for Yale. Some more recruiting on that side of the ball would help.

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Yale's defense was impressive in defeat. Harvard made that one TD stand up. I never dreamed that Yale would keep Pizzotti out of the end zone, but they did.

Congrats to Yale. Looking forward to next year's clash! I wonder who Harvard's quarterback will be...xwhistlex

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Two plays made ESPN's rivalry week segment: Gordon's touchdown and Schultz's 4th quarter sack.xnodx

Why do the ESPN guys always have to try those stupid Harvard accents?xsmhx

Cleets
November 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM

I was thinking the same thing.. xlolx
It's a hard working school with kids from all over the world not a yacht club...xoopsx

as odd of a game as it was both teams looked tough and ready to play
I think the Yale offensive play calling was terrible the whole game

bulldog10jw
November 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM

Must have been Stuart Scott. I can't stand him.

YaleFootballFan
November 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Both Harvard Stadium and Yale Bowl installed new scoreboards this year.

I must say, after seeing both, Harvard's scoreboard (http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view_super/1668135/i36512239/) is better than Yale's. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewestend/2997591699/sizes/m/)

HoyaMetanoia
November 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
it was a sellout which is about 31,000

While it may say it was a sell out, it definitely wasn't full.

Harvard Worship
November 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Just got back from Boston. I have to say that was the coldest I have ever been for a football game. I wore every ounce of clothing that I brought and the folks I went with had a couple picnic blankets, but I still lost sensation in my toes, fingers, nose, & ears (well, save for the joyous sensation of victory).

It was so cold that you couldn't hear either of the bands. I've always enjoyed hearing the fight songs. I think the reeds must have frozen and the brass didn't dare put their lips to their mouthpieces, for fear of never being able to detach them. Of course, I was wearing about 8 layers of earmuffs & scarves, which might explain the relative quiet.

After the game I got to go see that documentary on the 1968 tie that was reviewed in the New York Times. It was showing at the Brattle Street Theatre. It was really well done -- some of the interviews were hilarious. The interview with Yale LB Mike Bouscaren was incredible... the man made himself out to be such a villain.

Harvard Worship
November 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yale's defense was impressive in defeat. Harvard made that one TD stand up. I never dreamed that Yale would keep Pizzotti out of the end zone, but they did.

Both defenses were pretty incredible Saturday, especially at creating key turnovers and killing momentum. Even though it was low scoring, and the kicking games were miserable, the defenses created some exciting moments. Other than the cold I thought it was a good, hard-fought game.

Harvard Worship
November 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
While it may say it was a sell out, it definitely wasn't full.

It was definitely full in the 1st quarter, and definitely empty by the 4th. It was absurdly cold, and sadly too many people were overcome by their instinct for self-preservation. Plus some of the fans on both sides didn't see much likelihood that the Yale offense would suddenly become capable of moving the ball, so they left. Kudos to both student sections for staying to the bitter end.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=Harvard Worship;1226860]Just got back from Boston. I have to say that was the coldest I have ever been for a football game. I wore every ounce of clothing that I brought and the folks I went with had a couple picnic blankets, but I still lost sensation in my toes, fingers, nose, & ears (well, save for the joyous sensation of victory).QUOTE]

You were only a toddler for the '87 Game. Trust me: that was colder. xpeacex Same result, though!:D

brownbear
November 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
It was so cold that you couldn't hear either of the bands. I've always enjoyed hearing the fight songs. I think the reeds must have frozen and the brass didn't dare put their lips to their mouthpieces, for fear of never being able to detach them. Of course, I was wearing about 8 layers of earmuffs & scarves, which might explain the relative quiet.

At the Brown-Columbia game, our band basically took the second half off because it was so cold we couldn't play anymore. I had been outside since about 8 am on Saturday, but by the end of the game, it had gotten so cold that I almost got used to it. I also didn't bring gloves and had to buy a pair of Brown gloves from the spiritwear shop at the stadium.

As to it being the coldest game, I was probably colder last year at the Brown-Yale Hurricane Noel Bowl, but that was because I was completely unprepared for the weather.

YaleFootballFan
November 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
You were only a toddler for the '87 Game. Trust me: that was colder. xpeacex Same result, though!:D

The '87 Game was colder. MUCH colder. The wind-chill factor was minus 11 degrees that afternoon, yet 66,000 strong braved the elements at The Bowl.

YaleFootballFan
November 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Well since you didn't hear it, here's the Harvard Band's halftime show. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZobPgEONou0)

So nice of the Harvard Band to recycle their halftime show from last year. xrolleyesx

Listen closely and you can hear the Yale students chant "Booorrrrrrriiinnnggg....." xlolx