PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Battle for the Old Mountain Jug

The Cats
November 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM
The 73 year rivalry will be renewed this year in Cullowhee .....

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Jug_Traditions/oldmountainjugweb.jpg http://catamountsports.cstv.com/genrel/011305aah.html

It's on SportSouth's SoCon Saturday.....

https://admin.xosn.com//pics22/100/YG/YGPUAQJPDRVLRRM.20080825162529.jpg

What are the Catamount's chances of playing spoiler and keeping the jug in Cullowhee????

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
how'd you get a picture of that?

AppChicago
November 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well, ASU/WCU is 53-18-1 (App with 53), all-time, and since the actual jug came into play in 1978, the record is 24-6 in App's favor.

Tough record. I don't think this'll be Western's year...

Then again, AE got hurt today, so who knows? I think DeAndre can handle it, though... Sorry, Cats.

B&G
November 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'd say the chances are pretty slim. ASU has a trend this year of looking very good in about every other game. Seeing as how Elon made us look pedestrian... I'll say ASU by 34.

theasushow
November 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
79-35

catamount man
November 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Armanti got hurt?xeekx

WCU has shown signs of improvement this year, but are still at least 2 years away, IMO, from making any major dents. God, I hate to say this but ASU wins again. Not gonna predict any scores. Hope my Cats prove me wrong. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ASU88
November 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
What are the Catamount's chances of playing spoiler and keeping the jug in Cullowhee????

What do YOU think the chances are?

CharlestonAppFan
November 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Armanti got hurt?xeekx

WCU has shown signs of improvement this year, but are still at least 2 years away, IMO, from making any major dents. God, I hate to say this but ASU wins again. Not gonna predict any scores. Hope my Cats prove me wrong. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

bruised knee and hip pointer, nothing terribly serious....I don't think anyway xeyebrowx

appstate1998
November 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
how'd you get a picture of that?

well you can tell the picture was taken from behind the jug because obviously it's facing the other way so the correct picture is shown to people walking by.

DX Man
November 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
It is a shame that this rivalry has not grown over the years. All the blame should be laid on the WCU administration. This game should be so big that it has to be held at a neutral site. Maybe one day?

The Cats
November 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
What do YOU think the chances are?

Slim, but there is a chance. If our guys have healed (during the off week) and can come out determined and play 4 quarters of football like they did for 3 quarters against the gnats......it could be close.

(Obviously, based on history and both teams current records, this shouldn't be a game......but, IF Wagner has them believing in themselves...... anything is possible)

DX Man
November 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
To all WCU fans: Can you fill your stadium for a TV game against your biggest rival? xconfusedx If you can't, people will be laughing at you just like they are currently laughing at Furman.xlolx

theasushow
November 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
To all WCU fans: Can you fill your stadium for a TV game against your biggest rival? xconfusedx If you can't, poeple will be laughing at you just like they are currently laughing at Furman now.xlolx

gosh that was so pathetic. i mean this is Furman we are talking about, in a regionally televised game with perfect weather against GS for a possible playoff spot?? not trying to talk smack but what a dissapointment. especially when you would turn back and forth between that game and the unc-maryland game, the crowd was like comparing an high school game to college. i guess the fans had already given up hope. on a more positive note furman put together a nice comeback, too bad nobody was there to see it.

BearGibson
November 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
final score: 49-20 Mountaineers

ASU starters rest entire 4th quarter.

the jug stays where it belongs.

KiddBrewer
November 16th, 2008, 12:17 AM
from the first of the season to today, western carolina has to be the clear "most improved" team in the SoCon. Western has really gone about this building process in the right way, a way that deserves a lot of credit. Coach Moore pointed out tonight in his post game interview how western has not taken in a lot of transfers in the new system, but rather worked with what they already have. The freshman QB has a good career ahead of him and if Quan is anything like he was in highschool, hes a viable threat to open up a game (if the o-line will help him out). with that said, the pipeline of talent which has become appalachian state will most likely not take a week off next week (most likely). I think there are good things in the future for western, but i dont think there is much chance of an upset in this one. not this year. but thats why they play the game.

SoCon48
November 16th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Any Given Saturday. Let's hope this isn't one, however.

The Cats
November 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Any Given Saturday. Let's hope this isn't one, however.

I know it's unlikely, but just hoping the apps are looking past the Cats to the playoffs, and feel they only have to show up in the 'Whee for a win.....

Since most app fans think a win in this game is a birth right... I suspect the mountaineers expect to cruise to an "easy" victory, maybe the Cats will be ready. xnodx

th0m
November 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
No disrespect meant to WCU, but is it likely that Coach Moore decides to sit out Edwards for this game in favor of your back-up (who isn't too shabby either, right?)

I'd imagine this hurts his Payton chances, but all things considered, I think Edwards of all people would choose team success in the long run over personal success (besides he can try to win it next year again)

BarefootApp
November 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I think it is very possible AE sits. At this point, I agree with the ESPN analysts, he is the clear favorite for the Payton and should win it regardless. I really respect Rodney and the other candidates, but AE is the best, and deserves it.

AppMan
November 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM
No disrespect meant to WCU, but is it likely that Coach Moore decides to sit out Edwards for this game in favor of your back-up (who isn't too shabby either, right?)

I'd imagine this hurts his Payton chances, but all things considered, I think Edwards of all people would choose team success in the long run over personal success (besides he can try to win it next year again)

I may be wrong, but unless we need him I doubt you'll see much of Edwards next weekend. Don't think it'll hurt his Payton chances. All the playoff games are televised, most on ESPN. Everyone knows when the ESPN cameras are on Armanti is at his best. Thr kid has amazing stats in ESPN family network games. 1167 yards rushing, 1706 passing, 14 rushing TD's and 17 passing TD's in 9 games.

th0m
November 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Except playoff games don't count toward the Payton ballot.

ASU88
November 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
WCU has shown a few flashes of having the ability to play competitively. They certainly handled GSU for 3 quarters with much more eases than App St did. Recent history hasn't been kind, but that's no reason to take the week off.

I think that unless he is unable to play due to his injuries, AE should at least start. Pull him early if the lead gets to two scores. Not starting him if he's able to go sends the wrong messge to the rest of the team.

catamount man
November 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I fully expect AE to start and play at least the entire 1st half. The key is that if WCU is within 10 points, does Moore keep him in. I want to win BAD, and at least hope it's a close game. WCU is still 1-2 years away, but a win this week helps recruiting 100 fold. Alas, I won't be in the Whee for the game, but will be front and center in front of Sport South.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ericsaid
November 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
WCU has shown a few flashes of having the ability to play competitively. They certainly handled GSU for 3 quarters with much more eases than App St did. Recent history hasn't been kind, but that's no reason to take the week off.

I think that unless he is unable to play due to his injuries, AE should at least start. Pull him early if the lead gets to two scores. Not starting him if he's able to go sends the wrong messge to the rest of the team.

I think you start Deandre and see where the game goes, if App can get out front and maintian their lead he stays in, if not Armanti comes in to clean up.

App's already a lock for a playoff bid and as long as they win this game the #2 seed, no reason to take a chance of having Armanti hurt worse. When a bruise gets hit, it gets even more bruised, then it gets hit again, it gets even worse. You don't want that with possibly four more games.

boonegoon
November 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I was on the sidelines when a highly touted App squad went to Cullowhee and watched Brad Hoover run all over us. It will be closer than comfortable but App wins.

SideLine Shooter
November 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM
79-35

We could leave the field and it would still take WCU 30 minutes to score 35!

The Cats
November 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Oh how I hope your team has your same confidence level....... xthumbsupx

ElonFirefighter
November 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM
It is a shame that this rivalry has not grown over the years. All the blame should be laid on the WCU administration. This game should be so big that it has to be held at a neutral site. Maybe one day?

Isn't WCU stadium a neutral site???

james_lawfirm
November 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Cat:
Now, now. I thought it was funny.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Just the same confidence level as Georgia Southern. Didn't they spot y'all 28?

T-Dog
November 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Definitely will be there. Last time I was in the Whee was the monsoon game two years ago where five minutes before gametime, the heavens opened up and all the water in the world fell on Whitmer Stadium in a span of two hours.

Hopefully this will be drier.

bench
November 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Definitely will be there. Last time I was in the Whee was the monsoon game two years ago where five minutes before gametime, the heavens opened up and all the water in the world fell on Whitmer Stadium in a span of two hours.

I was there. That was bullshjt.

Skjellyfetti
November 17th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I think this could be closer than a lot of people think. IWestern is very improved... and they played Furman, Georgia Southern and Elon close. I hope Armanti starts if he is healthy enough to go. I don't want to mess around with losing a seed... or the Jug.

WCU LawCat
November 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I believe what you will see Saturday is a TRUE rekindling of a deep rivalry and a lot of heart and fire from The Catamounts. I'd love for the game to be a great one. Can David beat Goliath???

BarefootApp
November 17th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Yes he can....but only in Ann Arbor.

Black and Gold Express
November 17th, 2008, 07:08 AM
ASU still has the #2 seed and homefield advantage to play for. Even as improved as WCU is, I do not think we need Armanti to win this one. That said, by the account of an athletic trainer that I respect, the fact Armanti came back in the game after the injuries is proof that it probably is not too serious, especially the hip pointer.

To that end I think we will see AE in for the first half, but I expect him to be more of a passer and let the halfbacks do the running. I think we will see a lot of DeAndre in this game, and ASU will clinch the road to Chattanooga coming through Boone by 2+ scores.

appmaj
November 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
When will we get an update on AE?

Appinator
November 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
From day one at the SoCon rouser, all Wagner has heard about is how he needs to beat ASU. I guarantee that the cats have taken a look or two at the Mountaineers game tapes every week this year. They will come prepared and they will play hard.

I really think that we should play Armanti for only the first series, and then let DeAndre go the rest of the way. It would make it the only year Armanti has ever started every game during the regular season. Plus, depending on the type and severity of the hip pointer, DeAndre might even be a step faster. Wouldn't be surprised to see CoCo get a few snaps either.

CrackerRiley
November 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Haha, good times. I just remember a friend of mine getting half naked and wearing nothing but boots and overalls dancing in the rain.

Mntneer
November 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I agree with this 100%. Most App fans deep down are pulling for Western to get back in the game. It's hard to crack jokes anymore without feeling like you're kicking someone that's already down. Here's to hoping for WCU's continued improvement....(next season ;) )

appfan2008
November 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM

???

stupid comment...

appfan2008
November 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Haha, good times. I just remember a friend of mine getting half naked and wearing nothing but boots and overalls dancing in the rain.

I was there... I was miserable... that is all I have got to say about that HELL game

Appinator
November 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
When will we get an update on AE?

Nothing mentioned in this mornings "Around the Mountain". I would guess that it would be around mid week until we hear anything officially from the team.

DLS
November 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM
there was an update on mountaineer illustrated stating its nothing serious and he should be back this weekend.

not exactly official but generally pretty accurate