PDA

View Full Version : EKU at UT Martin Thread - For All the Marbles

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I had luck with the Holy Cross at Colgate one, let me try this one too. xthumbsupx

ekufbfan
November 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
GO EKU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xbowx We believe it's a matter of pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MavK9
November 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
GO UTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should be an interesting game. lot on the line and we have home field. looking forward to it!

ekufbfan
November 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM
GO UTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should be an interesting game. lot on the line and we have home field. looking forward to it!

I must say I would feel much better if we were playing at home, nevertheless we believe in this program and what we have seen transpire since the beginning of the season. GO EKU!

Weems
November 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
How about it! OVC Championship game in Martin, TN :). Winner take all. It should be a GREAT game.

EKUSteve
November 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
A true conference championship game next week.

EKU (7 - 3) at UT-Martin (8-3). Both teams have two losses against FBS subdivision teams and a loss to Tennessee State (who has blown it (sorry BBT)).

OVC may still get two teams in this year. The winner of this game and Jacksonville State (who has lost to both of these teams but beat TSU).

Go Big E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawkeye
November 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Just got back from Cape Girardeau..........darn it was cold and breezy. Our kids are fired up and this is going to be a great matchup Saturday. WELCOME TO MARTIN-colonels. Will be a great crowd, food, drink......and we promise to be nice to you. (Up until kickoff then the Hawks claws come out!!) They are very sharp right now. Been looking forward to this one for weeks. PS. Thanks Jax St!!!!!

JaxSinfonian
November 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Been looking forward to this one for weeks. PS. Thanks Jax St!!!!!

Our pleasure, I assure you. Sorry we can't return the favor by pulling for you. Go Colonels!

Weems
November 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Just got back from Cape Girardeau..........darn it was cold and breezy. Our kids are fired up and this is going to be a great matchup Saturday. WELCOME TO MARTIN-colonels. Will be a great crowd, food, drink......and we promise to be nice to you. (Up until kickoff then the Hawks claws come out!!) They are very sharp right now. Been looking forward to this one for weeks. PS. Thanks Jax St!!!!!

What did you think about the officials at the game? I couldn't believe some of the calls they made, seem very non proffesional to me...

ekufbfan
November 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
What did you think about the officials at the game? I couldn't believe some of the calls they made, seem very non proffesional to me...

What would expect? The OVC officials are notoriously bad (fb and bb) and when one of them finally learns the rules of the game they move on to a bigger pay check.

EKU05
November 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM
GO COLONELS!!!

It looked rocky early in the year, but all credit to Coach Hood...he has this team playing very, very well. EKU has taken 18 of their last 19 OVC games. Let's go for 19 of 20.

hawkeye
November 16th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I agree some of the calls were questionable. I wish they were more consistent from crew to crew. What one official calls holding, another crew does not. They have some good officials in the league. I hope Saturdays crew in Martin allows the teams to play without a lot of flags.

MaroonDoom
November 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Sadly I must work on gameday, but I will be old school & listen to the great Greg S. on the radio. Good luck EKU make us proud.

T-Dog
November 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
And remember, this win will more than likely earn you a trip to either Boone or Carbondale. xnodx

hawkeye
November 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
And remember, this win will more than likely earn you a trip to either Boone or Carbondale. xnodx

Is that suppose to just tickle the *(#$(^#&* out of us?xnonono2x

MaroonDoom
November 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Boone or Carbondale means were in. That is half the battle.

Gamecocks99
November 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM

The bigger you are the harder you fall. The OVC says, Lets get it on like Donky Kong !

MoreheadEagle
November 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I think I'll be rooting for UTM in this one. I just can't bring myself to root for EKU under most circumstances. :)

Weems
November 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Although i would much rather play App State becuase of the exposure factor, Carbondale is much closer :)

Either way, i'm not gonna miss that game if UTM can take care of business on Sat.

jaxstatealum
November 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Go Colonels!!!!!!!!!!! We did our part on Saturday; now help us out.... xnodx

MaroonDoom
November 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Good work guys, way to stay stiff against those Tigers.

EKU05
November 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Playing App State just might land our game on TV...so I'm all for it. I really enjoyed our 4 game series with the Mountaineers a few years back. You have to beat a lot of good teams to get to the title...I actually consider App State a preferable opening round match up.

But we have some business to take care of first.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
The winner gets marbles!!!

Shweet!!

MaroonDoom
November 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Boone is beautiful this time of year, but being a preferable matchup is a little crazy. Like my boy Nature Boy says "to be the man, you must beat the man, WOOOOOOO!"

ekufbfan
November 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
1. First we've got to beat UTM ( again)
2. I prefer a home game ( which we won't get because we have been completely ignored in the rankings)
3. As much as I like visiting Boone (in warmer weather I might add), I don't want to face them the first round of the playoffs
4. We have improved greatly since the UC,wku,TSU games, but I am not sure we are ready to take on App State in Boone (must be that loss to wku that's keeping us out of the rankings :D )
5. I do think we can win some games IF we don't have the cards stacked against us right up front (If we are the conference champs we deserve better than we will probably get)
6. First BEAT Martin (GO EKU!)
7. Lay it on the line and show that EKU PRIDE!!! we always talk about! GO COLONELS!
8. We need a crowd (like we always had in the past, it is time to step it up Colonel fans!)
9. BEAT Tn-Martin
10. GO EKU!

hawkeye
November 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Playing App State just might land our game on TV...so I'm all for it. I really enjoyed our 4 game series with the Mountaineers a few years back. You have to beat a lot of good teams to get to the title...I actually consider App State a preferable opening round match up.

But we have some business to take care of first.

xrotatehx Careful what you wish for. The Skyhawks prefer SIU for our first round. xnodx

Move over EKU- ITs our turn-AGAIN- GO HAWKS!!!!!!

EKU05
November 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
1. First we've got to beat UTM ( again)
2. I prefer a home game ( which we won't get because we have been completely ignored in the rankings)
3. As much as I like visiting Boone (in warmer weather I might add), I don't want to face them the first round of the playoffs
4. We have improved greatly since the UC,wku,TSU games, but I am not sure we are ready to take on App State in Boone (must be that loss to wku that's keeping us out of the rankings :D )
5. I do think we can win some games IF we don't have the cards stacked against us right up front (If we are the conference champs we deserve better than we will probably get)
6. First BEAT Martin (GO EKU!)
7. Lay it on the line and show that EKU PRIDE!!! we always talk about! GO COLONELS!
8. We need a crowd (like we always had in the past, it is time to step it up Colonel fans!)
9. BEAT Tn-Martin
10. GO EKU!

To get anywhere in the FCS post-season you'll have to beat the best teams at some point. I'd rather catch them off guard early on. Besides, it might get us on TV like I mentioned already.

To claim that we "deserve" anything is a bit much. We lost three games...only one to a great team. WKU, for all their FBS status, would be middle of the pack in their old MVFC/Gateway stomping grounds. TSU is solid but not spectacular. We're a better team than that now, but the fact that we've improved doesn't make losses that are on our record just go away.

The only thing we deserve is a chance, and we'll get just that if we do what we have to on Saturday, and I'm very confident we will despite the very good team we're playing against.

EKU05
November 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
xrotatehx Careful what you wish for. The Skyhawks prefer SIU for our first round. xnodx

Move over EKU- ITs our turn-AGAIN- GO HAWKS!!!!!!

I suppose by "again" you're referring to the fact that you're going for your second OVC title. Win 18 more and then we'll talk. But there's one again you can't claim...and that's beating EKU. Never done it, and There are a few guys in Maroon helmets commited to making sure it doesn't start now.

Seriously though, it should be a fantastic game and I'm hoping to be there for it.

hawkeye
November 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I suppose by "again" you're referring to the fact that you're going for your second OVC title. Win 18 more and then we'll talk. But there's one again you can't claim...and that's beating EKU. Never done it, and There are a few guys in Maroon helmets commited to making sure it doesn't start now.

Seriously though, it should be a fantastic game and I'm hoping to be there for it.

I hope your there as well. Who gives a rats $ss about the past. Were ranked, were at home, and we are ready to beat the maroon out of you. New Era. Get use to it.

ekufbfan
November 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I hope your there as well. Who gives a rats $ss about the past. Were ranked, were at home, and we are ready to beat the maroon out of you. New Era. Get use to it.

Ranking doesn't win a game for you, frankly we've been given the shaft in the rankings, but rankings or lack there of won't lose a game for you either. As far as the past, I rather be 18-0 than 0-18 and "hoping"...we'll see. New era? Of what? UTM finally beats EKU? We own you. You know it. Get use to it.

GO COLONELS!

ekufbfan
November 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
To get anywhere in the FCS post-season you'll have to beat the best teams at some point. I'd rather catch them off guard early on. Besides, it might get us on TV like I mentioned already.

To claim that we "deserve" anything is a bit much. We lost three games...only one to a great team. WKU, for all their FBS status, would be middle of the pack in their old MVFC/Gateway stomping grounds. TSU is solid but not spectacular. We're a better team than that now, but the fact that we've improved doesn't make losses that are on our record just go away.

The only thing we deserve is a chance, and we'll get just that if we do what we have to on Saturday, and I'm very confident we will despite the very good team we're playing against.

So another team from another conference does"deserve" better treatment, who finished 2-3 in their respective conference? If you are the conference champs, a 2-3 place finisher should not be given preference over a conf champ because of preconceived "notions" about how good/bad you are because of the conf you are in. I still don't agree that sending EKU (or UTM) straight to what I think is probably the best team in FCS (did you see them against Wofford?) and take a possible beat down on national TV will do anything for us. I would like to see the hands of any team(s) who"want" to go to Boone for the first game. I have seen EKU in too many playoff games and know that who you play and where you play means a great deal and how far you go in the playoffs. If you don't think that is so, then why do you think everyone is putting out the $$$ for a home game??? Take off your rose colored glasses. xcoolx Yes you have to beat the best to be the best, but as a die hard EKU fan I would hope that EKU would get a little better start than traveling to ASU (or another top 4 seed) right out of the gate.

Weems
November 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM

I Agree 100%!

Ranking doesn't win a game for you, frankly we've been given the shaft in the rankings, but rankings or lack there of won't lose a game for you either. As far as the past, I rather be 18-0 than 0-18 and "hoping"...we'll see. New era? Of what? UTM finally beats EKU? We own you. You know it. Get use to it.

GO COLONELS!

A New Era of UTM being a dominant force in the OVC, year in, year out. You think our players are saying, man, when i was in diapers this team was good? Of course not. History only means stuff to the fans. The game is played everyday because like this site... Any Given Saturday.

ekufbfan
November 17th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I Agree 100%!

A New Era of UTM being a dominant force in the OVC, year in, year out. You think our players are saying, man, when i was in diapers this team was good? Of course not. History only means stuff to the fans. The game is played everyday because like this site... Any Given Saturday.

xlolx xlolx xlolx No don't think so.

(But it sounds as if you don't think we are any good now?) I would guess they just like you know the facts, we beat you last year and the year before and the year before that, well you get the picture...and just because UTM is ranked, you think EKU is going to walk into Martin thinking they are going to lose.....and UTM may indeed win, I know you have a good team, it's just not a given like some UTM fans seem to think, that is why we play the game...my concern IS that the game is at your place..we will see . I hope UTM does continue as a "force" it's good for the OVC, just hope it stalls on Saturday.
GO EKU!

Weems
November 17th, 2008, 10:50 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx No don't think so. But I would guess they just like you know the facts, we beat you last year and the year before and the year before that, well you get the picture...and just because UTM is ranked, you think EKU is going to walk into Martin thinking they are going to lose.....and UTM may indeed win, I know you have a good team, it's just not a given like some UTM fans seem to think, that is why we play the game...my concern IS that the game is at your place..we will see . I hope UTM does continue as a "force" it's good for the OVC, just who it stalls on Saturday.
GO EKU!

I know EKU expects to win... And they should. I mean, look at your history xwhistlex .

Anywho, history aside, This will be a great game. We will see a stingy defense vs a high potent offense... I think the tie breaker in this one is that we don't have that death trip to Richmond.

ekufbfan
November 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I know EKU expects to win... And they should. I mean, look at your history xwhistlex .

Anywho, history aside, This will be a great game. We will see a stingy defense vs a high potent offense... I think the tie breaker in this one is that we don't have that death trip to Richmond.

Truce until Saturday. xpeacex

GO EKU! BEAT UTM!

Syntax Error
November 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
this game is going to be streamed on www.ovcsports.com

MaroonDoom
November 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Truce? We out number the UTM posters, so let's roll 'em up & smoke 'em.

JoshUCA
November 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but UCA has played UT Martin....so GO SKYHAWKS!!!

hawkeye
November 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Truce? We out number the UTM posters, so let's roll 'em up & smoke 'em.

Watched your playback against Murray on OVC Demand playback. It appears all 5 of you posters were the only ones in the stands.:D Pitiful. Just pitiful to have such a good team and nobody wanted to weather the wind and cold. Hope you guys bring more to Martin than you had at your home game. Hope you "Roll em up and bring it to Martin" so you can watch.

MaroonDoom
November 18th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have been to Martin for a game in the past & if I did not have to pay the bills & would be there with my game face on (i.e.- Crown & Coke). Sat. was the first home game I have missed in 15 years. I was in Tampa for work, but was getting updates from my bud in the stands.

EKU05
November 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
So another team from another conference does"deserve" better treatment, who finished 2-3 in their respective conference? If you are the conference champs, a 2-3 place finisher should not be given preference over a conf champ because of preconceived "notions" about how good/bad you are because of the conf you are in. I still don't agree that sending EKU (or UTM) straight to what I think is probably the best team in FCS (did you see them against Wofford?) and take a possible beat down on national TV will do anything for us. I would like to see the hands of any team(s) who"want" to go to Boone for the first game. I have seen EKU in too many playoff games and know that who you play and where you play means a great deal and how far you go in the playoffs. If you don't think that is so, then why do you think everyone is putting out the $$$ for a home game??? Take off your rose colored glasses. xcoolx Yes you have to beat the best to be the best, but as a die hard EKU fan I would hope that EKU would get a little better start than traveling to ASU (or another top 4 seed) right out of the gate.

Look, all I'm saying is that although we're a very good team now...our overall resume does include a terrible performance against an overrated (at the time) WKU team, a loss to non-playoff TSU, an embarassingly close game against Morehead, and an overtime win over Austin Peay (Austin Peay!!!). I think when all of that is the case you take what you're given. Based on that resume we may well be one of the bottom four teams in the field (should we be fortunate enough to beat UTM)...we just have to deal with that.

You are right though in saying that most teams would be afraid to go to App State in round one. Most teams don't take the "matter of pride" thing to heart the way the Colonels always have and always will. They can send us wherever they want and the Colonels will compete for all 60 minutes. If we lose we lose, but I don't see any reason for a program like ours to wish not to play the best.

EKU05
November 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I Agree 100%!

Good point. Let's not talk about ancient history. Can anyone remember who the reigning OVC champs are? ;)

Trust me guys, I'm plenty worried about how good I know the UTM team is, but at the same time one title does not an "era" make. It's going to be a great game on Saturday, and I'm sure the history of the series will be used as motivation for the Skyhawks. I just hope we don't let that play into your hands.

EKU05
November 18th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Watched your playback against Murray on OVC Demand playback. It appears all 5 of you posters were the only ones in the stands.:D Pitiful. Just pitiful to have such a good team and nobody wanted to weather the wind and cold. Hope you guys bring more to Martin than you had at your home game. Hope you "Roll em up and bring it to Martin" so you can watch.

I've been known to complain about the crowds myself, but that was among the nastiest games I've ever sat through weather wise. I've seen colder, but the rain and the wind were bound to keep away all but the most hardcore.

*Just to demonstrate that I'm not a total weather pansy I'll point out that I attended 3 college football games in 24 hours in that very weather this past weekend.

Weems
November 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Good point. Let's not talk about ancient history. Can anyone remember who the reigning OVC champs are? ;)

Dang it! You got me! :D

ekufbfan
November 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Watched your playback against Murray on OVC Demand playback. It appears all 5 of you posters were the only ones in the stands. Pitiful. Just pitiful to have such a good team and nobody wanted to weather the wind and cold. Hope you guys bring more to Martin than you had at your home game. Hope you "Roll em up and bring it to Martin" so you can watch.
You are right it looked bad on TV and it was pretty sparse, however a lot of people were cramed in the boxes (hey I was l ooking for seat in there too, but ended up outside the whole game). I have only sat through one other game as bad as that and it was a playoff game, at night against Boston University and it was as miserable as it was Saturday.

Go EKU! Bring another OVC championship HOME where it belongs!

ekufbfan
November 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Look, all I'm saying is that although we're a very good team now...our overall resume does include a terrible performance against an overrated (at the time) WKU team

Could wku be the reason we can't climb in the polls....a loss to them is looking pretty bad xlolx

hawkeye
November 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
You are right it looked bad on TV and it was pretty sparse, however a lot of people were cramed in the boxes (hey I was l ooking for seat in there too, but ended up outside the whole game). I have only sat through one other game as bad as that and it was a playoff game, at night against Boston University and it was as miserable as it was Saturday.

Go EKU! Bring another OVC championship HOME where it belongs!

We had the same weather at SEMO with the blowing wind and 45 degrees. Right now the weather for Saturday in Martin has high 47 with little wind, partly cloudy.
Its really been fun jabbing at you guys. All aside, whoever wins, I will be pulling for them in the playoffs. IF you guys pull it off I will help you jab at SIU. I feel either one of us can beat them in the playoffs. xnodx

Maroons
November 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Official attendance for Saturday's EKU/Murray game? 2200! When is the last time we had a crowd that small?

I do believe I was one of about 40 people sitting topside! If only it had been colder it could have snowed! That would have been preferable to 40 degrees and wet.

Wish I could dedicate 11 hours to make the drive to and from Graham Stadium to cheer my Colonels against the Skyhawks. I still have sweet memories of listening to the game in 2006... and that year the Colonels were only playing to preserve the winning season streak! In 2008, it's for a 20th OVC title! I wish tomorrow were Saturday!

Weems
November 18th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Is Saturday ever going to get here?!

hawkeye
November 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Is Saturday ever going to get here?!

Weems, Ive watched EKU(OCV on Demand) playbacks enough to possibly call their plays. Little birdy tells me our practices at Martin this week have been nothing short of WILD and WOOLY. Enthusiastic and wide open!! I dont know if Saturday can get here quick enough for us or the players. They will be ready.xnodx

Weems
November 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Weems, Ive watched EKU(OCV on Demand) playbacks enough to possibly call their plays. Little birdy tells me our practices at Martin this week have been nothing short of WILD and WOOLY. Enthusiastic and wide open!! I dont know if Saturday can get here quick enough for us or the players. They will be ready.xnodx

That is what I like to Hear!!!

MaroonDoom
November 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Just because you now what is coming does not mean you can stop it.

ekufbfan
November 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Weems, Ive watched EKU(OCV on Demand) playbacks enough to possibly call their plays. Little birdy tells me our practices at Martin this week have been nothing short of WILD and WOOLY. Enthusiastic and wide open!! I dont know if Saturday can get here quick enough for us or the players. They will be ready.

Hummm.... we probably aren't ready, we probably don't know what's coming, we probably can't call our own plays and should let hawkeye, do we even play football at EKU?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jaxstatealum
November 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
All I can say is Goooo Colonels!!!!!!!!!!!!! xnodx

hawkeye
November 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Just because you now what is coming does not mean you can stop it.

Austin Peay said they could.......or did. :D

ekufbfan
November 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Austin Peay said they could.......or did. :D

huh???????????xconfusedx
At any rate we are not the same team that played APSU, or else we were/are incognito.....

Let's go EKU!!!!

Weems
November 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
We need to make a little wager on this game... You know, spice things up a bit MORE. Who would like to take a bet and the loser has to change their avatar or signature to something the winner chooses?(some rules apply obviously)

Anyone?:D

hawkeye
November 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
We need to make a little wager on this game... You know, spice things up a bit MORE. Who would like to take a bet and the loser has to change their avatar or signature to something the winner chooses?(some rules apply obviously)

Got a new one for MaroonDoom: GloomnDoomxthumbsupx

Maroons
November 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM

I may take you up on this, Weems... what would be the time frame? The length of the playoffs? More? Less?

Obviously, it would have to be in good taste.

MaroonDoom
November 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I guess Weems woke up & remembered it is currently 18-0 EKU.

Weems
November 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I may take you up on this, Weems... what would be the time frame? The length of the playoffs? More? Less?

Obviously, it would have to be in good taste.

You have a pm....

MaroonDoom
I guess Weems woke up & remembered it is currently 18-0 EKU.

PM'ed him last night so i wouldn't clutter up this thread with it.

hawkeye
November 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Quote from the Sports Network!

"Look for Eastern Kentucky to see its postseason hopes dashed by Tennessee- Martin's offensive prowess as the Skyhawks claims its first win over the Colonels along with its second league title and the automatic bid to the playoffs".

Tennessee-Martin 27, Eastern Kentucky 24

Weems
November 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
I likey very much!

MaroonDoom
November 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Good bulletin board material. Should be a good one. I am working on plans to attend. Woooooo!