PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross at Colgate Thread - For All the Marbles

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Figured I'd start this thread for the game of the week... now.

UMass922
November 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Go Holy Cross! Massachusetts needs a playoff team this year.

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Gotta love it. A very old pre-PL rivalry going back to when both schools were "big-time" in good standing. Happy for both schools.

Go Lehigh TU owl
As of right now i think HC has the advantage. They seem like they're ready to get over the hump and finally capture a league title and playoff berth. I might very easily change my opinion as the week plays out.

Go...gate
Go Holy Cross! Massachusetts needs a playoff team this year.

So does New York....

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
As of right now i think HC has the advantage. They seem like they're ready to get over the hump and finally capture a league title and playoff berth. I might very easily change my opinion as the week plays out.

Probably right, but this is going to be a hell of a game.

UMass922
November 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
So does New York....

Indeed. Even more marbles on the line . . .

TheValleyRaider
November 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
This is going to be fun :)

I'll have a game thread up, like always, on Saturday morning xnodx

I'll also start paying more attention to this game later, after Colgate Hockey deals with our trip to SUNY-Ithaca tonight xthumbsupx

LET'S GO 'GATE!

Spoke
November 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Whats the capacity/ticket price/likelihood of it being sold out before Thursday? A bunch of us HC alums might be making the trip.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Whats the capacity/ticket price/likelihood of it being sold out before Thursday? A bunch of us HC alums might be making the trip.

I highly doubt this game will sellout. Colgate doesn't really draw all that well.

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I have all the respect in the world for Lafayette and Lehigh, but Holy Cross and Colgate have had some great games as well. I believe Time Warner Sports will carry the game (which, of course, is not available in the Princeton/Trenton area unless you have a dish).

LehighFan11
November 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Is the game on at 12? I really wish it was a later game because I want to watch it. I have to believe it will be a shootout. Classic matchup of the run v pass.

Lehigh74
November 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM

The only Patriot League game that is ever a sell out is Lehigh / Lafayette.

TheValleyRaider
November 15th, 2008, 04:23 PM

The capacity of Andy Kerr Stadium is 10,221, split between the crescent (home side) and the bleachers (visitors and Press Box side). The largest crowd I've ever seen there was about 6,000, so I imagine there will be plenty of seats available for anyone who wants to come

Ticket Information from the Website:
FOOTBALL
2008 Ticket Information (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/Pdfs/football/2008/9/1/08FBticket_brochure.pdf)
Andy Kerr Seating Chart (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/Pdfs/gen/2008/8/11/andy_kerr_compact%20final.jpg)
$15 Reserved Seats
$10 General Admission
$5 Children (12 and under)
$5 per ticket for groups of 25 or more

I believe Time Warner Sports will carry the game (which, of course, is not available in the Princeton/Trenton area unless you have a dish).

TW Sports will have the game, and it'll be available through Colgate's All-Access video program. $5.95 for a 24-Hour Pass

Is the game on at 12? I really wish it was a later game because I want to watch it. I have to believe it will be a shootout. Classic matchup of the run v pass.

Kickoff is at 1 Eastern (12 Texas), so you should be able to see it. Don't know if/how that conflicts with Lafayette-Lehigh

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM

I'm afraid Lehigh74 is right regarding the post-1986 PL years, but Colgate-Cross did sell out Andy Kerr in October 1982 - approximately 14,000 for a game also televised regionally on ABC. One of only a handful of official sellouts in Andy Kerr history.

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
The capacity of Andy Kerr Stadium is 10,221, split between the crescent (home side) and the bleachers (visitors and Press Box side). The largest crowd I've ever seen there was about 6,000, so I imagine there will be plenty of seats available for anyone who wants to come

Ticket Information from the Website:
FOOTBALL
2008 Ticket Information (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/Pdfs/football/2008/9/1/08FBticket_brochure.pdf)
Andy Kerr Seating Chart (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/Pdfs/gen/2008/8/11/andy_kerr_compact%20final.jpg)
$15 Reserved Seats
$10 General Admission
$5 Children (12 and under)
$5 per ticket for groups of 25 or more

TW Sports will have the game, and it'll be available through Colgate's All-Access video program. $5.95 for a 24-Hour Pass

Kickoff is at 1 Eastern (12 Texas), so you should be able to see it. Don't know if/how that conflicts with Lafayette-Lehigh

I never knew we had a seating chart. When I went to Colgate, most of the seats were general admission and everybody got splinters in their backsides!!!

TheValleyRaider
November 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I never knew we had a seating chart. When I went to Colgate, most of the seats were general admission and everybody got splinters in their backsides!!!

Well, the seats are now all metal now, so no more splinters :D

I think the seating chart is an addition of the new AD (can we really call Roach "new" anymore?) to help count the seats and attendance better

C-Mo
November 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
hopefully our NYC alums will get some purple in andy kerr.

what a win for hc today. best hc win i've ever seen.

ngineer
November 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Have to correct you there, brother. On October 21, 2000 Lehigh and Bucknell played before 16,906 on a beautiful Parents Weekend. The sunkissed picture of Goodman we see in the program and/or Media guide was taken from that game with the overflow crowd spewing around the bowl. FWIW, Lehigh-Colgate on November 9, 2002 drew 15,023. All other sellouts at Goodman were for Lafayette.;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Have to correct you there, brother. On October 21, 2000 Lehigh and Bucknell played before 16,906 on a beautiful Parents Weekend. The sunkissed picture of Goodman we see in the program and/or Media guide was taken from that game with the overflow crowd spewing around the bowl. FWIW, Lehigh-Colgate on November 9, 2002 drew 15,023. All other sellouts at Goodman were for Lafayette.;)

What is technically a sellout at Goodman? Realistically you could put 25,000 people in there without any trouble. The biggest is listed at 19+ in 1991 when they had a big temp bleacher behind the south goal as well as the the one below the scoreboard. The bank would hold more than any bleacher.

colgate13
November 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I like this matchup. It should be an evenly matched game and both teams have shown they can come from behind.

The slight edges I'd give to Colgate are 2 weeks to prepare and home field. It might not sell out, but an away trip to Hamilton in November can be demoralizing. There is some snow in the forecast around Saturday and the highs look to be in the low 30s.

Plus, HC hasn't won at Colgate since 2000... :) Good luck to both teams!

ColgateTD
November 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Should be a helluva game. Don't think snow is anything HC is unfamiliar with, so doubt it's a factor. With fieldturf now, we don't have the advantage of a "mud bowl."....:D
This may turn into a defensive struggle - don't be surprised. The high octane "O's" may cancel each other out. Who's "D" will respond better is the question..?

carney2
November 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Not the outcome I was hoping to see, but I am content that the championship and playoff bid will be decided on the field and not by 4 disinterested ADs on a party line.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm still amazed LFN wasted no time in posting a HC-Colgate thread while there is still no 144th Meeting thread.

crusader11
November 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm still amazed LFN wasted no time in posting a HC-Colgate thread while there is still no 144th Meeting thread.

Well, at least he is cognizant of what the bigger game is. xnodx

TheValleyRaider
November 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Big game indeed

Colgate comes in at 8-2, 4-0 in the League. The Raiders are on a 7 game winning streak and have won 3 in a row at home, not losing in Hamilton since September 13

Holy Cross comes in at 7-3, 5-0 in the League. The Crusaders are on a 6 game winning streak and have won 2 in a row at home, not losing away from Worcester since October 4

Both teams are coming off 1 point wins in Eastern Penn

With apologies to App, these two teams are HOT HOT HOT :D

petethepenguin15
November 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I can't wait for this game. It all comes down to one final game in the patriot league. This is going to be a great game holy cross pass against colgate run. This is definitly the game of the week for me.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Biggest football game at Colgate since the 2003 play-offs.

Spoke
November 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So I can buy tickets the day of the game? HC doesn't usually gets 10,000+ at games, but it does happen, at least 1-2 times per season in recent years. I shouldn't be worried about Colgate hitting that attendance number?

DC 'gater
November 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
So I can buy tickets the day of the game? HC doesn't usually gets 10,000+ at games, but it does happen, at least 1-2 times per season in recent years. I shouldn't be worried about Colgate hitting that attendance number?

I will put it on the line and guarantee that you could show up with three buses full of purple clad revelers and have no problem getting everyone a ticket. Just keep your lousy butts on the visitor's side.:D

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Go Gate!!!xnodx xthumbsupx Bring it home!

TheValleyRaider
November 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Colgate defeats Holy Cross for Patriot League Title (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/News/msoc/2008/11/16/MSOC%20Champs.asp?path=msoc)...........in Men's Soccer

:D xsmileyclapx :D xhurrayx :D xbowx :D

Spoke
November 17th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Wrong kind of football there.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Last time Colgate and Cross played for a PL title in Hamilton was 1990, in a rain/snow/mud bowl. HC, in the middle of a 14-year winning streak over Colgate, decisively won, 35-6.

TheValleyRaider
November 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Last time Colgate and Cross played for a PL title in Hamilton was 1990, in a rain/snow/mud bowl. HC, in the middle of a 14-year winning streak over Colgate, decisively won, 35-6.

Sounds like it's time we returned the favor.... xcoolx

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Forecast for Saturday (4 days out):

Few Snow Showers
High 26
Low 19
Chance of Precipitation: 30%

In the days beforehand:
Tonight: 40% chance of evening snow showers
Thursday: 60% chance of snow showers
Friday: 80% chance of snow showers

xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Few Snow Showers
High 26
Low 19

In the days beforehand:
Tonight: 40% chance of evening snow showers
Thursday: 60% chance of snow showers
Friday: 80% chance of snow showers

xthumbsupx

Would it be playoff football for Colgate without snow? xnodx

ColgateTD
November 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Few Snow Showers
High 26
Low 19

I've got partly sunny, cold, about 30 for a high on Saturday, a little breezy. What the heck, it's just semantics...xcoolx

Gonna be a real dogfight. Wondering if there are any players for either side on the DL? Since we've had two weeks to prepare I would guess not. How about HC? Any injuries left over from the LC game?

Go...gate
November 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Really looking forward to this, though my primary source for following the game will be streaming radio or Teamline.

StonewallSpider
November 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
BIG GAME, my high school captains in a big battle; Breslin vs. Stewart I'll be following this game from from RVA

TheValleyRaider
November 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM
The Football team is calling for Colgate fans to wear black to the stadium on Saturday to "Black-Out the Crusaders"

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/images/football/2008/11/20/black-out-logo(1).jpg

As long as it doesn't involve black jerseys, I'm okay with this xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
November 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I feel even better about the black-out knowing what's supposed to be on the back of the shirts:

http://www.radiofreehamilton.com/sitebuilder/images/back-532x406.jpg

It's the return of the HOODOO!
http://www.radiofreehamilton.com/hoo_doo.html

Go...gate
November 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM
My God, the HooDoo! Thought we saved that for Syracuse! We're really pulling out all the stops now.....

colorless raider
November 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Really looking forward to this, though my primary source for following the game will be streaming radio or Teamline.

You never go. Why? I think you are a "closet" Princeton fan and won't take the time to drive to Hamilton for the big one.:D

DC 'gater
November 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
i land in Syracuse at 6pm tonight. Colgate Inn tap room tonight anyone?

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
The Football team is calling for Colgate fans to wear black to the stadium on Saturday to "Black-Out the Crusaders"

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/images/football/2008/11/20/black-out-logo(1).jpg

As long as it doesn't involve black jerseys, I'm okay with this xthumbsupx

STOLEN!! From the Pard website!

Go...gate
November 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
You never go. Why? I think you are a "closet" Princeton fan and won't take the time to drive to Hamilton for the big one.:D

I'm glad you put the smilie there. How I wish I could go, but maybe this will explain the whole Colgate-Princeton thing.

I balance a law practice with taking care of an 86-year-old father who has advanced Parkinson's Disease and had three heart attacks last year. There is not much time left over for other events, even this game.

I grew up with Princeton; my father carried me into my first game at Palmer Stadium (I am told they were playing Harvard, which will no doubt please Ivytalk). I would see the players at Mass on Sunday and they spoke at local schools; I remember seeing Bill Bradley play at old Dillon Gym. They were the hometown heroes I looked up to, and so they will always have a special place in my life.

I attended Colgate and if I have had any success in life, it is largely attributable to what I learned there. Colgate was the right place for me and really prepared me for life. I have seen many of their games in many sports through the better part of six decades, back to the days of Hal Lahar as coach. They are my dearly beloved alma mater and have an even more special place in my life.

My friends tell me my heart is orange and black and I bleed maroon. But given a choice, it is Colgate every time. And I will be there in spirit Saturday afternoon. Go Red Raiders!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
What's that weather report? If this were a mid-50s sunny day, I'd take the 'Cross. But assuming that it's cold (possibly snowy) weather, I'm going with Colgate. Should be a great game in the event.

My only regret? That I don't get it on TV xmadx I would LOVE to attend the 144th and watch the game in its entirety on the DVR at night.

LBPop
November 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Please do not think I am a "Wus" for asking this. I got up to Colgate once on a beautiful fall day two years ago and the campus was a treat to see. I had heard there was a town there, but I guess I missed it as I was looking up at the scenery. ;)

So, if it snows at all on Saturday, please someone take a few pictures and post them. And as far at the game is concerned, I have no particular rooting interest. But I think it's great for the PL to have a "Championship Game" on the last day of the season.

DC 'gater
November 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
From the National Weather Service for Hamilton, NY 13346xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SUNDAY...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SUNDAY.

SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS LATE THIS MORNING... WILL BECOME MORE NUMEROUS DURING THE AFTERNOON... ALONG WITH A FEW SQUALLS. A SIGNIFICANT LAKE SNOW BAND COULD SET UP LATE IN THE DAY... AND APPROACH THE THRUWAY CORRIDOR AFTER 4 PM. LOOK FOR LOCALIZED ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS TODAY.

A BAND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE WARNING AREA TONIGHT... LASTING AT LEAST INTO THE MORNING ON SATURDAY. THE BEST CHANCE FOR HEAVY SNOW THIS EVENING... WILL BE FROM NEAR BALDWINSVILLE AND CICERO... THROUGH SYRACUSE... AND INTO CHITTENANGO AND CAZENOVIA. THIS BAND MAY SHIFT SOUTH OF THE THRUWAY CORRIDOR LATE TONIGHT AND SATURDAY... AFFECTING SUCH PLACES AS AUBURN... SKANEATELES... LAFAYETTE... GEORGETOWN... AND HAMILTON. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES MAY OCCUR OVERNIGHT AND SATURDAY... WHERE SQUALLS ARE MOST PERSISTENT.

SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING... PROVIDING ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
A BAND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE WARNING AREA TONIGHT... LASTING AT LEAST INTO THE MORNING ON SATURDAY. THE BEST CHANCE FOR HEAVY SNOW THIS EVENING... WILL BE FROM NEAR BALDWINSVILLE AND CICERO... THROUGH SYRACUSE... AND INTO CHITTENANGO AND CAZENOVIA. THIS BAND MAY SHIFT SOUTH OF THE THRUWAY CORRIDOR LATE TONIGHT AND SATURDAY... AFFECTING SUCH PLACES AS AUBURN... SKANEATELES... LAFAYETTE... GEORGETOWN... AND HAMILTON. ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES MAY OCCUR OVERNIGHT AND SATURDAY... WHERE SQUALLS ARE MOST PERSISTENT.

SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING... PROVIDING ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS.

Holy crap! Good thing Georgetown isn't playing a game this weekend! And do I have to bring out the snow gear in Easton too? xeekx xeekx

Seriously, advantage: Raiders.

colgate13
November 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
This is just how we like it friends... Time to get to work with the running game! :)

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Especially considering Colgate's shaky start, nice to be where we are.