PDA

View Full Version : Davidson 10 Georgetown 3

DetroitFlyer
November 13th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Wow, who would have ever expected one of the weakest teams in the PFL to go into Georgetown and win the game? Great win for Davidson! Games like this sure make me wonder how the PL can get an autobid while an 11-1 San Diego team will be sitting at home this season.... I seem to recall that earlier this season, CCSU beat Colgate. That PL sure is a power conference, much more deserving of an autobid than the PFL.... NOT! Games like this completely prove the point that on any given saturday, any team can put it all together and win a game! The same would absolutely hold true in the 1-AA playoffs for the Mid-Major conference champions. They may not win often, but it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Wow, who would have ever expected one of the weakest teams in the PFL to go into Georgetown and win the game? Great win for Davidson! Games like this sure make me wonder how the PL can get an autobid while an 11-1 San Diego team will be sitting at home this season.... I seem to recall that earlier this season, CCSU beat Colgate. That PL sure is a power conference, much more deserving of an autobid than the PFL.... NOT! Games like this completely prove the point that on any given saturday, any team can put it all together and win a game! The same would absolutely hold true in the 1-AA playoffs for the Mid-Major conference champions. They may not win often, but it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility!

:rolleyes:

Please, PLEASE have San Diego, Davidson, or any PFL team schedule Lehigh. You'll then realize why the Patriot League is a playoff conference... Are you going to judge how good the SoCon is by how well Elon is doing? The Gateway by how well Indiana St. is doing? If G'Town were going for a playoff spot, you may have a point, but G'Town is not a playoff-caliber team.

Hansel
November 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Over the last 3 years, the PL has last 10 games to Mid-Majors (every team but Lehigh, and LC has lost to a MM), has any other playoff conference lost a game to a mid-major (I honestly don't know)

The top teams can play with anyone, but the bottom of the conference is among the worst equivalency IAA football played

hawkineer
November 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Please, PLEASE have San Diego, Davidson, or any PFL team schedule Lehigh. You'll then realize why the Patriot League is a playoff conference... Are you going to judge how good the SoCon is by how well Elon is doing? The Gateway by how well Indiana St. is doing? If G'Town were going for a playoff spot, you may have a point, but G'Town is not a playoff-caliber team.
I obviously agree with you. However, this is really a bad loss and, quite frankly, an embarrassment to a Georgetown team that is trying to move to the middle or upper echelon of the PL. How can you only score 3 points at home to Davidson? GU really needs to consider a complete overhaul, including Benson. They must consider tearing it down (not exactly a major demolition) and rebuilding 'cause it isn't working.

Even one of the worst team in the Patriot League should never lose to the worst team from the Pioneer! The sad fact is that this year they are not even the worst team in the league. That honor belongs to Bucknell.

I think that the divide between the top teams in the Patriot is as great as it has ever been. GU, Fordham, and Bucknell are really bad football teams with absolutely dreadful offenses. LU could have easily hung 60+ on Fordham and Bucknell if they had chose to.

I am not convinced that either Fordham or GU is truly committed to football. I don't think that Bucknell has ever recovered from the loss of Coach Gadd. At least he kept them competitive every year.

lugo02
November 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Doesn't Davidson and Georgetown have some sort of rivalry?
Do you think CCSU will beat Colgate again if they were to play this season?
An 11-1 San Diego! How many D-II and lower wins? 4 at my last count. Since only 11 games count this season that mean they only have 6 D-I wins, you need 7 to qualify for the I-AA playoffs.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM
There is no comparison between the Patriot and the Pioneer. It's not even close...

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I obviously agree with you. However, this is really a bad loss and, quite frankly, an embarrassment to a Georgetown team that is trying to move to the middle or upper echelon of the PL. How can you only score 3 points at home to Davidson? GU really needs to consider a complete overhaul, including Benson. They must consider tearing it down (not exactly a major demolition) and rebuilding 'cause it isn't working...I am not convinced that either Fordham or GU is truly committed to football. I don't think that Bucknell has ever recovered from the loss of Coach Gadd. At least he kept them competitive every year.

Perhaps you may want to investigate the situation before making such blanket statements.

Scoring 3 points isn't good. But it's not unexpected either--seven of Georgetown games this year have seen the Hoyas score 10 or less. It's the lowest scoring team in I-AA and last in total offense. Why is this?

Georgetown is built on a a run option. Here's what's happened to the depth chart since the beginning of the season:

RB #1 (Kim Sarin, 1000+ yards in 2004): had a career-ending injury diagnosed in the spring. Total 2005 production: 0 yards.
RB #2 (John Sims, leading rusher in 2003, who ran for 268 on Davidson the last time the teams met in DC) left the team before the first game. Total 2005 production: 0 yards.
RB #3 (Emir Davis, 5 TD's in 2004): Has played in only seven games, did not play vs. Davidson. Total 2005 production: 237 yards, 1 TD.
RB #4: Marcus Slayton, leading rusher in 2002): 594 yards, 3 TD's.

When you focus on the run and your RB corps has four TD's all season, that's the issue. Georgetown has not scored a point in the first quarter all season, and when you're down 10-0 or 17-0 with a team that can't run, comebacks prove difficult. If Georgetown had any running game Saturday, it defeats Davidson...and Lafayette before that. The GU defense shut Davidson down, with the only TD coming off an offensive fumble at the Georgetown 20. (Did you know Georgetown has the #6 pass defense in the nation, and #22 overall?)

No one is happy when you score 3 points in a game like this, However, it's a big leap on your part to suggest that Georgetown is not committed to football. If the PL had an even playing field for recruiting and for budgets, Georgetown would be right up there. The field is not level--Georgetown knows it, and every other PL team knows it, too.

lugo02
November 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Perhaps you may want to investigate the situation before making such blanket statements.

...If the PL had an even playing field for recruiting and for budgets, Georgetown would be right up there. The field is not level--Georgetown knows it, and every other PL team knows it, too.

I think this statement supports Hawkineers' statement that Georgetown is not committed... If they were then they would put up the funds and step up the recruiting.

hawkineer
November 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Scoring 3 points isn't good. But it's not unexpected either--seven of Georgetown games this year have seen the Hoyas score 10 or less. It's the lowest scoring team in I-AA and last in total offense. Why is this?

Georgetown is built on a a run option. Here's what's happened to the depth chart since the beginning of the season:

RB #1 (Kim Sarin, 1000+ yards in 2004): had a career-ending injury diagnosed in the spring. Total 2005 production: 0 yards.
RB #2 (John Sims, leading rusher in 2003, who ran for 268 on Davidson the last time the teams met in DC) left the team before the first game. Total 2005 production: 0 yards.
RB #3 (Emir Davis, 5 TD's in 2004): Has played in only seven games, did not play vs. Davidson. Total 2005 production: 237 yards, 1 TD.

When you focus on the run and your RB corps has four TD's all season, that's the issue. Georgetown has not scored a point in the first quarter all season, and when you're down 10-0 or 17-0 with a team that can't run, comebacks prove difficult. If Georgetown had any running game Saturday, it defeats Davidson...and Lafayette before that. The GU defense shut Davidson down, with the only TD coming off an offensive fumble at the Georgetown 20. (Did you know Georgetown has the #6 pass defense in the nation, and #22 overall?)

No one is happy when you score 3 points in a game like this, However, it's a big leap on your part to suggest that Georgetown is not committed to football. If the PL had an even playing field for recruiting and for budgets, Georgetown would be right up there. The field is not level--Georgetown knows it, and every other PL team knows it, too.
I'll play. What was factually untrue about my posting?
Awful offense - you made my case!
Poor coaching - good coaches adjust to the team strengths. Why run a option offense if you don't have any quality running backs? Your own football board indicates a lack of imagination in regards to play calling.
Unsure commitment - Isn't a level playing fields and budgets part of a measure of commitment to a sport? I read the posts on the GU football board. There is general frustration with the attendance, especially from the student body. The most recent report from yesterday's game indicates that there were more Davidson fans than GU fans at the game. "The game was played before a season low 1,354 fans, most of which wore Davidson's colors."
If you read my posting, I'm actually frustrated that the league is not more competitive from top to bottom, including the Hoyas. But clearly, it is not.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I think this statement supports Hawkineers' statement that Georgetown is not committed... If they were then they would put up the funds and step up the recruiting.

No, it doesn't.

Recruiting is not the problem, it's the ability to recruit depth. Lehigh can offer 55-60 grants, Georgetown cannot, and a lot of recruits don't want to settle for loans when the cost of a year at Georgetown runs $45K.

Granted, fans aren't happy on the offense, but you go with what you have. The defense can play with anybody, but the offense cannot.

Lehigh spends more money on football than Georgetown spends on men's basketball, for example. How would you sell Georgetown on spending more, then, on football than basketball?

lugo02
November 13th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Foottball teams are much larger than both women and men basketball teams combined so, it should not be surprising that Football programs cost a whole lot more.

hawkineer
November 13th, 2005, 03:25 PM
No, it doesn't.

Recruiting is not the problem, it's the budget. Lehigh can offer 55-60 grants, Georgetown cannot, and a lot of recruits don't want to settle for loans when the cost of a year at Georgetown runs $45K. This issue is exactly waht's at play here--depth in recruiting makes a difference. Granted, fans aren't happy on the offense, but you go with what you have, and the runners still do better than the receivers.

Lehigh spends more money on football than Georgetown spends on men's basketball, for example. How would you sell Georgetown on spending more, then, on football than basketball?
So what's your solution? :confused:
Sounds like you'd like a spending cap for football in the P.L. That isn't going to happen, given LU's and CU's commitment to their football programs. Even Lafayette seems to have moved beyond the mess that they had 4-5 years ago and is now committed to maintaining a competitive 1-AA program (perhaps at the expense of their once proud basketball program).

GU knew what they were getting into when they decided to join the Patriot League stating that they welcomed the challenge of buiding their program. Maybe the P.L. may not be a good fit for the Hoyas after all.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2005, 03:58 PM
So what's your solution? :confused:
Sounds like you'd like a spending cap for football in the P.L. That isn't going to happen, given LU's and CU's commitment to their football programs. Even Lafayette seems to have moved beyond the mess that they had 4-5 years ago and is now committed to maintaining a competitive 1-AA program (perhaps at the expense of their once proud basketball program).

GU knew what they were getting into when they decided to join the Patriot League stating that they welcomed the challenge of buiding their program. Maybe the P.L. may not be a good fit for the Hoyas after all.

The PL is absolutely the right fit for Georgetown, but don't confuse commitment with finances. Georgetown is committed to being a contending PL team, but that growth will come in spite of, not because of, the budget. That means working harder and harder to find student athletes who will be admitted (never an easy task at a school with a 21% admissions rate) and that can continue to build the program despite the issues that affect every one of Georgetown's 27 teams. No one has thrown up the white flag on this, but any PL fan who thinks that Georgetown doesn't care to be competitive is just mistaken.

Georgetown University as a whole has struggled financially in recent years, losing as much as $86 million in a single year and having to sell off its hospital. It can't afford any program growth without it coming from outside sources. It's alumni that are funding the $22 million facility-in-progress, not the University, and that's a very visible commitment right in the center of the campus. When completed, the building will be the first intercollegiate facility built at GU in 55 years. (Basketball needs a new home, too, but it's 100 times more complicated than football's situation.)

http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/facilities/gu-multi-sport.html

hawkineer
November 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM
The PL is absolutely the right fit for Georgetown, but don't confuse commitment with finances. Georgetown is committed to being a contending PL team, but that growth will come in spite of, not because of, the budget.
I,for one, am glad to hear it and wish the Hoyas luck in taking three steps forward for every step backwards. Maybe the Davidson was just one of those steps backwards.

I also hope that GU football gets the local and student support to continue to grow the program. This would certainly aid with recruiting.

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM

What are you talking about even playing field? The PL has done NOTHING to tilt the playing field away from G'town. It is Georgetown, and Georgetown alone, that decides what and how much it wants to commit to football. The Hoyas have to learn to make their own bed.

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 04:40 PM
No, it doesn't.

Recruiting is not the problem, it's the ability to recruit depth. Lehigh can offer 55-60 grants, Georgetown cannot, and a lot of recruits don't want to settle for loans when the cost of a year at Georgetown runs $45K.

Granted, fans aren't happy on the offense, but you go with what you have. The defense can play with anybody, but the offense cannot.

Actually, 53 this year. Hey, Georgetown wanted in the PL. Nobody held a gun to their head. Youse pays yo' money and takes yo' choice.

colgate13
November 13th, 2005, 09:52 PM
My personal opinion is that G'Town needs a fresh start. Lose the option offense and find someone dynamic to lead this program who can get people excited and maybe see some dollars follow.

But ultimately, as long as G'Town doesn't want to cough up the same dough CU, LU, LC are to play, they will need lightning in a bottle to have a good year every 3-4.

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 10:21 PM
My personal opinion is that G'Town needs a fresh start. Lose the option offense and find someone dynamic to lead this program who can get people excited and maybe see some dollars follow.

But ultimately, as long as G'Town doesn't want to cough up the same dough CU, LU, LC are to play, they will need lightning in a bottle to have a good year every 3-4.

Agreed. I said a few days ago that with the new stadium, their prestige, location, a $ commitment similar to CU, LU, LC can have the Hoyas a power in the PL. But if they'r not going to pay similar grant money, then all the prestige aint going to help recruiting.