Elon-12

Furman-41
Chattanooga-37

Citadel-20
VMI-15

Wofford-21
G.Webb-9

GSU (awaiting the playoffs)

WCU (enjoying our 1st winning season since 2001, preparing for 2006)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AppGuy04
November 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM
App.State-48
Elon-12

Furman-41
Chattanooga-37

Citadel-20
VMI-15

Wofford-21
G.Webb-9

GSU (awaiting the playoffs)

WCU (enjoying our 1st winning season since 2001, preparing for 2006)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Elon will get their standard 7 in the 4th quarter

GoGSU
November 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I agree with all BUT, Chatty could upset Furman at home....otherwise you are on the money!

yosefcity
November 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
THE Appalachian State University-38
Eloan Magic Birds-0
Yes my friends the shut out will be marked down.

Purple Paladins-27
Choo Choo Train Wistle-31

El Citadel-17
VMI-10

Little Chiwawa's- 24
BullDawgs of G Webb-17

UCLA Cantamounts- Thanks for bringing our Jug back
Georgia Southern Eagles- See now, Sewak is a good coach. Lets say it together, We love Sewak.

fuEMO
November 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM
It just wouldn't be right in the football world without APP or GSU fans predicting another SoCon team beating Furman :)

GSUAlumniEagle
November 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM
App State--31
Elon--10
Someone remind me why Elon's in this conference?

Furman--48
Chattanooga-51
Shades of the UTC/App game from last year

Citadel--21
VMI--9

Wofford--14
Gardner Webb--17
Sad, but I think it'll happen

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM
ASU: 37
Elon: 7

Wofford: 28
Gardner Webb: 14

UTC: 21
FU: 34 (sorry guys, ain't gonna be no upset there)

Citadel: 31
VMI: 10

GSU (formulating secret plans for playoff domination :D )

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 12:03 PM
It just wouldn't be right in the football world without APP or GSU fans predicting another SoCon team beating Furman :)

You mean like WCU and GSU earlier on?
After the way ASU played WCU yesterday (surprisingly to me anyway), it's tough to understand how Westen beat you Furmans by 20. Nor for that matter how we beat GSU like we did, and yet they still took care of the Purple Tin Men.

Evidently the "at's" mean a lot. :cool:

Beware of the Noogas. It's AT Noogie. :nod:

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 12:05 PM
The idea ASU scored 31 on us, and GSU 27, but that UTC will score 51 or some similar number... doesn't really require comment. We know admission standards are lax at some SoCon schools.

None will be close. G-W has zero chance against Wofford. Elon has .01% chance. VMI 5%. UTC 2%.

Baldy
November 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM
The idea ASU scored 31 on us, and GSU 27, but that UTC will score 51 or some similar number... doesn't really require comment. We know admission standards are lax at some SoCon schools.

Let's see,

Jacksonville state scored 35
Hofstra scored 41
Western Carolina scored 41
The Citadel scored 31
Gardner freakin' Webb scored 31

51 might be a little high, but if G-W can score 31, most anyone in I-AA can.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM
... doesn't really require comment. We know admission standards are lax at some SoCon schools.

Dayum! :eek:

LarryBoy
November 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Question: If Furman wins the National Championship, will ASU and GSU fans still hang their hat on the early-season loss to WCU? Because it certainly seems to be helping them sleep at night right now.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Let's see,

Jacksonville state scored 35
Hofstra scored 41
Western Carolina scored 41
The Citadel scored 31
Gardner freakin' Webb scored 31

51 might be a little high, but if G-W can score 31, most anyone in I-AA can.

You're right, UTC could score 31.

But that wouldn't be enough anyway.

Baldy
November 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Question: If Furman wins the National Championship, will ASU and GSU fans still hang their hat on the early-season loss to WCU? Because it certainly seems to be helping them sleep at night right now.

Nope, I'll hang my hat on GSU's late season victory over Furman. It's been helping me sleep very good at night.

GoGSU
November 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
and Furman will not win the National Championship this year.....not with that defense!!

eaglesrthe1
November 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Speaking about hanging your hat on something, it seems to me that FU is the one with the runner-up signs hanging in the stadium.

Why would GSU fans need to hang their hat on the WCU win over FU? The Eagles have their own.

LarryBoy
November 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I think you missed my point. (Re: every single thread that has mentioned Furman all season)

EagleCrusade
November 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I think you missed my point. (Re: every single thread that has mentioned Furman all season)

My favorite FU thread is the smack thread "Dingleberry Martin and FU proves how much they suck."

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Nope, I'll hang my hat on GSU's late season victory over Furman. It's been helping me sleep very good at night.

I guess you hung it up in 2001 also, after winning against Furman in the regular season. Granted, we didn't win the NC because Ivory was hurt, but then we did remove GSU from the playoffs, which presumably counts for something considering GSU was a very good team.

If WCU beat us by 20, but GSU beat us by 3 and was lucky Martin screwed up at the end, then I guess we are improving, no?

note: logic is another area where many GSU fans struggle. I guess if you get below 1000 on the SAT like a lot of their students it's a little much to ask for good analysis.

gsugt1
November 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM
We are talking Football not SAT scores. :deadhorse We have beaten FU 3 out of the last 4 by the way :spank: .

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I guess you hung it up in 2001 also, after winning against Furman in the regular season. Granted, we didn't win the NC because Ivory was hurt, but then we did remove GSU from the playoffs, which presumably counts for something considering GSU was a very good team.

If WCU beat us by 20, but GSU beat us by 3 and was lucky Martin screwed up at the end, then I guess we are improving, no?

note: logic is another area where many GSU fans struggle. I guess if you get below 1000 on the SAT like a lot of their students it's a little much to ask for good analysis.

First of all, I for one don't think UTC has a chance in this game. Yeah, your loss to Western is shameful, but I bet you are not as ashamed of that as we are of our 5 point loss to Wofford.

Second, GSU did not get lucky against you. Sure Ingle Martin made a terrible play, but so did our kicker trying to make a squib at the end. And what about that TD that was stolen from us?

Third, our average freshman SAT score is now close to 1100 (on the 1600 scale, 1650 on the 2400 scale), thank you very much.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Oh, sorry. That's still good for what place among SoCon football-playing schools?

So far as GSU-Furman, I think most people are aware that GSU won. By 3 at home, so it was a close, hard fought game that GSU had to win and Furman didn't (to make the postseason). It rather obviously does not prove Furman is a bad team or GSU is a great team, which some GSU fans appear to be claiming.

It's also funny how much credit GSU fans take for winning. Last time I checked, it was your players that won, not you. So they deserve credit, not you. If the teams meet again, the outcome could well be different.

Baldy
November 13th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Fermin didn't win the NC in 2001 because Ivory was hurt? xlolx
GSU was lucky because Martin screwed up? xlolx
I thought you Fermins were above making excues for your team's defeats. :rolleyes:

Face it. Your DL went to school. Thacker and Riley were absolutely dominated and looked lost. Jones and Freeman are all you have. Time to face reality, you lost to the better team, sorry.

A sure sign your arguement has absolutely no merit....bring out the SAT smack. :rolleyes:
For someone with such a big brain and a high SAT score, you don't make much sense.

ASU Kep
November 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM
We are talking Football not SAT scores. :deadhorse We have beaten FU 3 out of the last 4 by the way :spank: .

So have we. :D .

LarryBoy
November 13th, 2005, 07:29 PM
SAT smack is lame. I'm not going to side with any Paladin fan who brings it out. I have a good SAT score, but I'm an idiot, so the SAT is pretty close to meaningless.

We wouldn't have won the NC in 2001 with a healthy Ivory. Our tailback by committee was producing just as many rushing yards as Ivory was by himself. Our defense played a whale of a game to hold Montana to just 13 points, but their defense was a step better.

Georgia Southern was the better team two weeks ago. On another Saturday, Furman could be...and we may get that chance. But the truth of the matter is, we lost, period.

The "Dingleberry" thing is disgustingly classless. Ingle's a heck of a guy--I know that many of you would like to believe that he is an arrogant "I-AA sucks" butthole--sorry, that's not the case. He's made a couple of key mistakes this year, but when all is said in done, he's going to have every Furman passing record, and he'll be remembered more for the clutch wins than say, the GSU INT or the Western game.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2005, 08:39 PM
First of all, I for one don't think UTC has a chance in this game

Dang, no chance at all, huh...I guess I will call Rodney and the boys and tell them to call the game off.

GSUAlumniEagle
November 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM

None will be close. G-W has zero chance against Wofford. Elon has .01% chance. VMI 5%. UTC 2%.

Someone call Coach Moore and the ASU fans and ask them if they saw UTC putting up 50+ on them last year....

Two weeks to prepare? Senior day? Furman possibly napping because they feel superior?

Remember what the name of this site is. Any given Saturday.....

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Someone call Coach Moore and the ASU fans and ask them if they saw UTC putting up 50+ on them last year....

Two weeks to prepare? Senior day? Furman possibly napping because they feel superior?

Remember what the name of this site is. Any given Saturday.....

Yes, unfortunately I remember every dang one of those 59 points...if I remember corrrectly, 20 more than Furman hung on us.

youwouldno
November 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Right, but my point is that GSU and ASU fans- some of them- "predict" Furman will lose all the time, but without FOOTBALL reasons. No, "Furman feeling superior" is not a legitimate rationale.

I like football arguments, not childish nonsense like that crap.

AppGuy04
November 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
If Chat puts together 2 halfs like they played ASU in the 1st half, they will be in the game

I'm not predicting a Chat upset, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened

ButlerGSU
November 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
UTC could be the heart breaker for Furman. Is the game on TV?

UTC - 48

Furman - 42

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM
But I agree with youwouldno, I don't see Furman losing this game, though it'll scare the purples more than they expect. We were supposed to ANNIHILATE UTC on homecoming up here, but only won by ten. Those boys know how to put up a fight against "superior" teams.
But btw, with strictly "football" arguments, WCU never beat Furman.

GSUAlumniEagle
November 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Right, but my point is that GSU and ASU fans- some of them- "predict" Furman will lose all the time, but without FOOTBALL reasons. No, "Furman feeling superior" is not a legitimate rationale.

I like football arguments, not childish nonsense like that crap.

If you're looking for strictly football arguments, there would be finding whatsoever that Georgia Southern would beat Furman 27-24. Georgia Southern's defense is pathetic. Their offense had been struggling against good defenses. Every sane human should have picked Furman in that game.

But sometimes it's not about Xs and Os. It's about the intangibles. Georgia Southern was pumped to defend their home stadium and to "defend the 1985 championship team's honor". It had nothing to do with football.

Furman 24
Georgia Southern 27

Two weeks to prepare. Senior day. The last chance for the Mocs to beat one of the "big three". Furman settling down for what some see as a "weaker opponent". There is no playoffs for the Mocs. They've already decided a winning season, but now they're playing for pride and a chance to be a spoiler.

Intangibles win just as many football games as Xs and Os do. I'm not afraid to go out on a limb.

Furman 48
Chattanooga 51

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Yah, and Furman doesn't really lose all that much with a loss at UTC anyway, right? They're already in IMO, don't have too great of a shot at a seed (UNH, Montana, App State, Hampton, Texas St all lie in front of em) and would likely only surrender a home-opener (or maybe not, FU has had some good attendance). I find it hard to believe the playoff comittee wouldn't take an 8-3 FU, even with a late loss to up-and-comer UTC.
On the other hand, UTC has everything to gain by proving for the second year in a row that they are capable of knocking out one of the big boys in the SOCON.

Black and Gold Express
November 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM
The idea ASU scored 31 on us, and GSU 27, but that UTC will score 51 or some similar number... doesn't really require comment.

At what point are you going to wake up and realize your defense is not all that good this year? How many more games do you need to give up 24+ points to see that you are nothing special on that side of the ball?

Or were each of those games "flukes"? :rolleyes:

You guys will go as far as your offense can take you. Ad you have a really good offense for sure. But if your offense gets held down by anyone the rest of your games, you're in deep trouble. And that's just facts talking.

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 01:47 PM
And if you wanna look at it THAT way, GSU scored 7 on us while UTC scored 25 so by the transitive laws you've been using...UTC should beat you by 100. :)

walliver
November 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Wofford--14
Gardner Webb--17
Sad, but I think it'll happen

I would like to think that is impossible, but, after last year's VMI scare and the way our offense has played lately, such an outcome is not beyond reason. We have given up on the triple option (there are plays that look like the option, but the quarterback's decisions are made before the ball is snapped)

I expect Wofford to win, but the game will be in doubt well into the fourth quarter

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Before the season started there were two SoCon games (other than ASU and GSU) that scared me . One was WCU, mainly because it was so early and after the JSU game which I thought would be closer than most people predicted. The other games was Chattanooga, mainly becuase I thought Chattanooga had the potential to be good and it was the last game of the season.

I don't think the intangibles at this point in the season work that much in favor of Chattanooga. The Purple team knows they need to win to get at least one home game in the playoffs. If we were 9-1 going into to Chattanooga, I think the intangibles would be more in their favor. I do think it will be closer than some expect, and while it could happen, I don't expect a lose. Furman 34 Chattanooga 24.

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM
And after going back and reading the thread and admiting that on AGS anything is possible, I think most of the ASU and GSU fans are predicting with their hearts and not their heads.

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
And after going back and reading the thread and admiting that on AGS anything is possible, I think most of the ASU and GSU fans are predicting with their hearts and not their heads.
IMHO, a Furman loss to UTC hurts us badly. You guys are the only I-AA team to beat us (it'll hurt our chances at a 2 or 3 seed) and should ya'll make the playoffs even with a UTC loss, it could mean a potential ASU/Vermin rematch could come earlier than it probably would otherwise. And while I'd be comfortable (and EXTREMELY excited) about playing you guys in the semi's or in Chatty, there are quite a few playoff teams I'd rather face at home in the quarter's (despite our recent winning streak against ya'll at KBS).
Besides a few well-earned ASU/GSU additions to the "Dingleberry" smack board, we have nothing to gain. So I would have to say logical ASU/GSU fans should not be thinking with their hearts when they predict a UTC victory. And as I've said, UTC should put up one helluva fight into the fourth, but I predict a narrow Vermin win.

youwouldno
November 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
WCU actually fought Furman hard last year, and in Greenville. They have a good D-line and superb secondary. It was not a reach at all to think they could win with enough breaks.

There were a lot of reasons to think GSU could beat Furman... in Statesboro, GSU's playoff hopes on the line, etc.

The reality-- and this is a fact, by the way, not my opinion-- is that these upset predictions are not grounded in any kind of objective analysis of any kind. ASU and GSU fans want Furman to lose, especially the Appies since they couldn't beat us, and hence the silly predictions.

If all these self-styled prognosticators had to bet on the game, not a single one would actually put real money on the line for their bizarre predictions. Not a one. That pretty much says all you need to about the honesty of their "analysis."

OL FU
November 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
IMHO, a Furman loss to UTC hurts us badly. You guys are the only I-AA team to beat us (it'll hurt our chances at a 2 or 3 seed) and should ya'll make the playoffs even with a UTC loss, it could mean a potential ASU/Vermin rematch could come earlier than it probably would otherwise. And while I'd be comfortable (and EXTREMELY excited) about playing you guys in the semi's or in Chatty, there are quite a few playoff teams I'd rather face at home in the quarter's (despite our recent winning streak against ya'll at KBS).
Besides a few well-earned ASU/GSU additions to the "Dingleberry" smack board, we have nothing to gain. So I would have to say logical ASU/GSU fans should not be thinking with their hearts when they predict a UTC victory. And as I've said, UTC should put up one helluva fight into the fourth, but I predict a narrow Vermin win.

That makes a lot of sense and I would not mind playing ASU even in Boone (if you had beat us the first time) :) Hate the idea of playing a team twice, that is roughly equal, after winning once.

ASU Kep
Actually, I'd be glad to put money on my prediction: Furman wins by less than 14.

OL FU
Actually, I'd be glad to put money on my prediction: Furman wins by less than 14.

I have not problem with winning by less than 14 :)

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
The reality-- and this is a fact, by the way, not my opinion-- is that these upset predictions are not grounded in any kind of objective analysis of any kind. ASU and GSU fans want Furman to lose, especially the Appies since they couldn't beat us, and hence the silly predictions.

"
Strong talk about the "Appies couldn't beat us." Considering the game was decided on a tipped short FG attempt in your house.
Good luck in Chattanooga.
Maybe we get a rematch of that earlier close game in Boone.

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 03:18 PM
With the exception of this weekend's game, I have no problem here on out of winning by less than 2 :) .

But anyway, good luck...from an ASU fan :eek: . I'd love to see ya'll in Chatty... :D .

Then again, I'd love to see ASU and ANYBODY in Chatty... :p

SoCon48
November 14th, 2005, 03:19 PM
I have not problem with winning by less than 14 :)

Good answer, Ol FU. As I said before the WCU game, I would have taken a WCU mail in of even one pt.

And Kep, I'd say your 14 pt margin is safe, if Chattanooga plays up to their best, like they did most of the game in Boone.
Furamn will have to score more than 24 to win. IMOP

ASU Kep
November 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I dunno, if UTC can hang 25 on us, Ingle + Co. might have to put up more than that. My prediction: FU - 38, UTC - 27. Furman scores a late 4th quarter TD to put it out of reach...

LarryBoy
November 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
A team fighting for pride at the end of the season can be very dangerous. Just look at Furman in 2003. The performance of the offense, for the bulk of the season, was downright disappointing. No playoffs, and way too many "what ifs." Naturally, Furman would deliver 63-21 massacre to Chatt.

Chattanooga is similar this year (good overall season, but just enough 'what ifs' to be irritated), plus the added joy of being the spoiler. As I've already said, this game scares me.

With all of that in mind, I still say Furman by 17. Maybe 13.

BestOfBreed
November 15th, 2005, 07:12 PM
App State 45
Elon 7
Trey Elder plays the whole 2nd half making App State fans smile about their prospects next year.

Furman 31
Chattanooga 24
The Mocs make a run late but it's not enough.

Citadel 31
VMI 17
El Cids new QB brings the silver shako home.

Wofford 35
G.Webb 21
Wofford finds it's missing offense.

GSU - prays Wofford wins so the selection committee doesn't have to look at a sub 500 loss on their record aka no home playoff game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 15th, 2005, 08:11 PM
App State 45
Elon 7
Trey Elder plays the whole 2nd half making App State fans smile about their prospects next year.

Furman 31
Chattanooga 24

Citadel 31
VMI 17

Wofford 35
G.Webb 21

GSU - prays Wofford wins so the selection committee doesn't have to look at a sub 500 loss on their record aka no home playoff game.

Wofford will win, but the selection committee won't care that we lost to them in week 2 (or week 3, whatever it is). We have our convincing wins against South Dakota State, UTC, Western, and Furman.

SoCon48
November 16th, 2005, 06:07 AM
App State 45
Elon 7

Furman 31
Chattanooga 24

Citadel 31
VMI 17

Wofford 35
G.Webb 21

I liked Elder in the Wofford game. He did look a little slow vs WCU Saturday, though.

AppGuy04
November 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM
I liked Elder in the Wofford game. He did look a little slow vs WCU Saturday, though.

much better defense, just shows you how good Richie really is

Black and Gold Express
November 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM
ASU 35
Elon 14
Over by the third quarter really.

Furman 42
Chattanooga 35
I've had this nagging feeling for weeks now this was going to be a trap game for Furman. On the road, against what's not a bad team, and in a place with no, and I mean no, atmosphere. If Furman can find the mental focus to win this one convincingly, that will say a lot to me about them. I can't pull the trigger on picking the Mocs, but an upset here would not stun me at all.

Citadel 15
VMI 24

Wofford 27
G.Webb 14

OL FU
November 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM
ASU 35
Elon 14
Over by the third quarter really.

Furman 42
Chattanooga 35
I've had this nagging feeling for weeks now this was going to be a trap game for Furman. On the road, against what's not a bad team, and in a place with no, and I mean no, atmosphere. If Furman can find the mental focus to win this one convincingly, that will say a lot to me about them. I can't pull the trigger on picking the Mocs, but an upset here would not stun me at all.

Citadel 15
VMI 24

Wofford 27
G.Webb 14

I can't say I have had a nagging feeling that it would be an upset. But it has concerned me since I first looked at the schedule. I will be glad when it gets started. Furman needs to go in with the attitude that the playoffs have started.

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
App. St.-42
Eloan- 7
This one will be over before kickoff.

Furman-35
Chatty-10
This game reminds me of last weeks WCU-ASU game. Everyone WANTS the upset so they're stretching things a little in order to convince themselves that they're not insane. Chatty is decent, much like WCU, but like WCU, they'll be overmatched on Sat.

Citadel-17
VMI-9
The battle of the state militias again goes unnoticed.

Wofford-24
Gardner-Webb-14
Could be closer, I mean, GW did put up 30+ on Furman. :D

blueballs
November 16th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I can't say I have had a nagging feeling that it would be an upset. But it has concerned me since I first looked at the schedule. I will be glad when it gets started. Furman needs to go in with the attitude that the playoffs have started.

Right on, because 8-3 with losing 2 out of the last 3 could put you in jeopardy of not getting in at worst and not controlling your own destiny and playing on the road in round 1 at best.

If Furman runs the ball 50+ times they win by at least two scores.