PDA

View Full Version : 5 years eligibility

MplsBison
November 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Current: football players have 5 years to play 4 seasons

Future: football players have 5 years to play 5 seasons. No more redshirts freshman year.

Status quo maintained: most players graduate in 4.5 or 5 years anyway.

This could've helped us out this year because we have a true freshman QB that could've been given a chance to play if the coachs weren't scared of burning his redshirt.

lizrdgizrd
November 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Future: football players have 5 years to play 5 seasons. No more redshirts freshman year.

This could've helped us out this year because we have a true freshman QB that could've been given a chance to play if the coachs weren't scared of burning his redshirt.

You starting up your windmill tilting again?

Rob Iola
November 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
And they should be paid...

Grizzaholic
November 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
And they should be paid...

Only if they have a track should they get paid.

edited for accuracy.

BeauFoster
November 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Again? Jeeze...

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Its college football. COLLEGE. The goal is actually graduate from college and play some great FB while you're there. If you want to be a professional FB players go ahead.

andy7171
November 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Some topics never get old.

So tell us maples, if you get rid of the redshirt, what do you call the 5th year player?

Rob Iola
November 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Its college football. COLLEGE. The goal is actually graduate from college and play some great FB while you're there. If you want to be a professional FB players go ahead.
That's great for most of FCS and below. The FBS schools make some serious coin on the backs of their players, most of whom will only see the NFL on TV. Only fair that the players get paid - their schollies basically make them indentured servants to the coaches and the administrators...

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
That's great for most of FCS and below. The FBS schools make some serious coin on the backs of their players, most of whom will only see the NFL on TV. Only fair that the players get paid - their schollies basically make them indentured servants to the coaches and the administrators...

They dont have to play FBS football of they dont like it. A small stipend for living expenses and clothes is ok, paying is just flat out against what college athletics are about. Before you know it there will be bidding wars for these players.

andy7171
November 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM
At Towson most of the upper classmen lived off campus, so we got reimbursed for what the school would pay for room and board. So, technnically, I did get paid $2050 twice a year. I tell you September and February we lived HIGH on the hog!

As for those other 6-7 months, meh living in poverty built character.

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
What is the free college education they are getting considered then? Why should they get paid on top of getting a free education at a school they maybe couldn't afford without being good at football. So they don't sniff the NFL they get an education that could get them a job all of which may not have happened without college athletics.

MplsBison
November 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Most players graduate in 4.5-5 years anyway.

Not sure what your point is.

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Most players graduate in 4.5-5 years anyway.

Not sure what your point is.

Because college is intended to be for 4 years. I know you dont understand that as you spent 8 years at Bismark Community college and almost have that associates degree. Players may spend more then 4 years, and that is already a concession made to help athletes.

Rob Iola
November 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Because college is intended to be for 4 years. I know you dont understand that as you spent 8 years at Bismark Community college and almost have that associates degree. Players may spend more then 4 years, and that is already a concession made to help athletes.
Tommy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000394/): Did you hear I finally graduated?
Richard Hayden (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005450/): Yeah, and just a shade under a decade too, all right.
Tommy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000394/): You know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Richard Hayden (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005450/): I know, they're called doctors.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Taking a full course load and having to go to practice, team meetings, travel, film studies, and deal with media (if you are a star player in a popular sport) can be very difficult. And not taking a full course load can make it hard to finish most degree programs in 4 years.

I don't see what the problem is with giving small stipends to athletes if the sport they are in generates a lot of revenue and if the NCAA putss a relatively low cap (maybe just a few thousand per year) on how much can be given. Of course the Title IX feminazis on our college campuses will probably raise a stink about it since most women's sports don't generate revenue, but that is beside the point.

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Taking a full course load and having to go to practice, team meetings, travel, film studies, and deal with media (if you are a star player in a popular sport) can be very difficult. And not taking a full course load can make it hard to finish most degree programs in 4 years.
I don't see what the problem is with giving small stipends to athletes if the sport they are in generates a lot of revenue and if the NCAA putss a relatively low cap (maybe just a few thousand per year) on how much can be given. Of course the Title IX feminazis on our college campuses will probably raise a stink about it since most women's sports don't generate revenue, but that is beside the point.

Kids have 5 years currently. Barring issues like changing a major kids should be able to graduate in 4 years, Student- athletes do it all the time in the Ivies, The Patriot and probably at places like Furman and Wofford. It has little to do with being smarter and a lot to do with taking their school work seriously.

MplsBison
November 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Even non athletes routinely take 4.5 years to graduate with a bachelors.

And there is no "intention" and certainly no expectation that students are to graduate in 4 years. If anything, colleges want to make the experience more enjoyable and lengthen it so they can get more tuition and fees out of the student.

Sorry, but you're just flat wrong on this point.

MplsBison
November 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
And the current state of the rule is that players have 5 years to compete in 4 seasons.

They're already there for 5 years anyway.

This would just let them play all 5 years if needed.

BeauFoster
November 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Kids have 5 years currently. Barring issues like changing a major kids should be able to graduate in 4 years, Student- athletes do it all the time in the Ivies, The Patriot and probably at places like Furman and Wofford. It has little to do with being smarter and a lot to do with taking their school work seriously.

Pierre Banks will graduate from ASU with a graduate degree in 5 years. No one can say that it takes 5 years for an athlete to get an undergraduate education. They just have to get their priorities in order if they want to do it.

Franks Tanks
November 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Pierre Banks will graduate from ASU with a graduate degree in 5 years. No one can say that it takes 5 years for an athlete to get an undergraduate education. They just have to get their priorities in order if they want to do it.

Exactly-- I graduated in 4 years while playing FB no problem. I was even ahead and only had to take 3 classes my last semester senior year. Its not really that hard as long as you have decent time managment skills. I actually did better during the season rather then out of season as I was more focused.

GATA
November 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM

That scholarship also pays a hefty tuition bill that the player would probably have to take out loans to pay.

The players don't need to get paid...and even if they did, they shouldn't get more than what a graduate assistant would make...somewhere around 1,000-2,000 bucks a semester.

GATA
November 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Even non athletes routinely take 4.5 years to graduate with a bachelors.

And there is no "intention" and certainly no expectation that students are to graduate in 4 years. If anything, colleges want to make the experience more enjoyable and lengthen it so they can get more tuition and fees out of the student.

Sorry, but you're just flat wrong on this point.

It shouldn't routinely take anybody more than 4 years to graduate unless you're just BSing your way through undergrad and taking the minimum amount of classes every semester to be considered "full-time"

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Check the last NCAA national conference. The concept of getting rid of the "redshirt" year AND giving football players 5 years of eligibility was discussed seriously. Don't be surprised if you see it in the near future. There was discussion of what 5 years would do to individual historical statistical records (ie: TDs, Passing yards, .....), but it was dismissed as not a problem in most minds.

SteelCurtain
November 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Where in the he%% do you come up with this stuff???? Were you dropped as a child???? Everytime I think you couldn't possible say something dumber than your last post you make a liar out of me..

PS-were not playing Sam Houston next year are we???

MplsBison
November 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Exactly-- I graduated in 4 years while playing FB no problem. I was even ahead and only had to take 3 classes my last semester senior year. Its not really that hard as long as you have decent time managment skills. I actually did better during the season rather then out of season as I was more focused.

So what if you did it in 4 years?

Most of them take 4.5 and 5 years.

There is no expectation that you are to graduate in 4 years.

MplsBison
November 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
It shouldn't routinely take anybody more than 4 years to graduate unless you're just BSing your way through undergrad and taking the minimum amount of classes every semester to be considered "full-time"

Even non athletes are taking 4.5 years - 5 years with internships.

MplsBison
November 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Where in the he%% do you come up with this stuff???? Were you dropped as a child???? Everytime I think you couldn't possible say something dumber than your last post you make a liar out of me..

PS-were not playing Sam Houston next year are we???

Check the last NCAA national conference. The concept of getting rid of the "redshirt" year AND giving football players 5 years of eligibility was discussed seriously. Don't be surprised if you see it in the near future. There was discussion of what 5 years would do to individual historical statistical records (ie: TDs, Passing yards, .....), but it was dismissed as not a problem in most minds.

(PS that was the post right above yours. Maybe read the thread?)

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM

That was me, what a mistake. I loved college a little too much, and now I've got the student loans to show for it.xsmhx

soccerguy315
December 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
There is no expectation that you are to graduate in 4 years.

And no one goes into college with the expectation to play for 5 years.