PDA

View Full Version : Best coach in football

GrizzlyBill
November 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
At risk of raising the ire of Wolfman, I want to express my amazement and happiness at having such a great coach at Montana, as Bobby Hauck. Maybe he's not the BEST in the game, but damn good; and it's still early in his career.

No doubt, I'm a homer by being largely ignorant of many coaches outside the BSC. Maybe someone could start a poll to see who all else would get many votes as best coach in FCS football right now—currently. Obviously others are doing a lot of good things at other schools, too. I know Coach Moore at App is one. However, for a young guy to come into a pressure situation like Hauck did at Montana, and for his first 6 straight years inspire this kind of play, using mostly home-grown kids, who we have watched play HS ball down the road, is just phenomenal. I am proud to have BH as coach.

IMHO, he is a great student of the game, and has a certain style and enough of the gambler to keep it interesting. He will certainly have opportunity to move on to a big time job (you know, like Joe Reed did in going to Wyoming). Some on this board (well, one anyway) think we could do a lot better. I don't think so!

This year we didn't have any big-name NFL kind of known talent going in (like Hilliard, Biermann [sp?]), but Bobby has guys stepping up big on all sides of the ball, most of whom were unknowns 3 months ago—and we have a good shot at going 11-1. What more could anyone want in a college football coach?

93henfan
November 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM
What more could anyone want in a college football coach?

OK App fans, he just set the ball on the tee for you. Who can load a picture of three trophies the fastest?

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I think it'd be really tough to pin down the best coach currently in FCS.

As much as it hurts to say, Montana State looks to have a phenomenal coach in Rob Ash, and they should be scary in the next few years.

Hauck is pretty amazing, given his youth and short time at UM, plus the intensely high standards which he had to live up to in his very first year and since then (as illustrated by fans like Alpha and Wolfy) has been pretty amazing.

However, I don't know how you could take anyone over Jerry Moore at this point. Three NC's in a row, and I think you have the best Coach that's coaching right now. The only problem is that his success hasn't been sustained, only really recent. If I remember correctly, fans were calling for him to be fired before ASU won its first NC. Even so, I don't think anyone is coaching better right now.

So I guess you could chalk up my vote for Jerry Moore.

uofmman1122
November 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM
OK App fans, he just set the ball on the tee for you. Who can load a picture of three trophies the fastest?xlolxxlolxxlolx

He did also mention Bobby Hauck, so...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/351_photo.jpg

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Too many great FCS coaches to decipher.

mvemjsunpx
November 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
At risk of raising the ire of Wolfman, I want to express my amazement and happiness at having such a great coach at Montana, as Bobby Hauck. Maybe he's not the BEST in the game, but damn good; and it's still early in his career.

No doubt, I'm a homer by being largely ignorant of many coaches outside the BSC. Maybe someone could start a poll to see who all else would get many votes as best coach in FCS football right now—currently. Obviously others are doing a lot of good things at other schools, too. I know Coach Moore at App is one. However, for a young guy to come into a pressure situation like Hauck did at Montana, and for his first 6 straight years inspire this kind of play, using mostly home-grown kids, who we have watched play HS ball down the road, is just phenomenal. I am proud to have BH as coach.

IMHO, he is a great student of the game, and has a certain style and enough of the gambler to keep it interesting. He will certainly have opportunity to move on to a big time job (you know, like Joe Reed did in going to Wyoming). Some on this board (well, one anyway) think we could do a lot better. I don't think so!

This year we didn't have any big-name NFL kind of known talent going in (like Hilliard, Biermann [sp?]), but Bobby has guys stepping up big on all sides of the ball, most of whom were unknowns 3 months ago—and we have a good shot at going 11-1. What more could anyone want in a college football coach?

I agree that Bobby Hauck is a really good coach, but who is Joe Reed? ;)

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM
http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/16/uno_dos_tres.jpg

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I agree that Bobby Hauck is a really good coach, but who the f@ck is Joe Reed?Is there a profane gene in Montana? What the heck is the deal?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Dick Biddle should get some serious consideration. He took over a team that was 0-11 in 1995 and went 6-5 the next year. In 1997 he earned the PL's first ever bid to the playoffs and the program hasn't looked back since. He's produced a Payton winner and a National Title appearance while being a school that no matter what you believe faces different obstacles.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Colgate was in the D-I playoffs before Biddle.

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 03:56 AM
OK App fans, he just set the ball on the tee for you. Who can load a picture of three trophies the fastest?

I am an App alumni and diehard fan and get flamed all the time for it, but I don't think Coach Moore is much more than a prop. I've already explained my irritation at the fact he doesn't even control his players. He should have been yelling at Robert Welton at the Wofford game when he started running his mouth after his td run and got an unsportsmanlike penalty, instead he gives him congrats on the TD and lets him get a second unsportsmanlike conduct later in the game for running his mouth again.

I think his time management is some of the worst I've ever seen at points. For instance Corey Lynch made Moore a legend on his blocked field goal against Michigan...but Michigan should have never had the ball to end the game. Moore got trigger happy and kicked that field goal wayyyyyy too soon and almost cost us one of the "biggest upsets in football history"

But he does have the "stats" they say he is one of the best. I agree with earlier poster though that there are too many great coaches to even think about picking one for me.

appstate38
November 14th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I am an App alumni and diehard fan and get flamed all the time for it, but I don't think Coach Moore is much more than a prop. I've already explained my irritation at the fact he doesn't even control his players. He should have been yelling at Robert Welton at the Wofford game when he started running his mouth after his td run and got an unsportsmanlike penalty, instead he gives him congrats on the TD and lets him get a second unsportsmanlike conduct later in the game for running his mouth again.

I think his time management is some of the worst I've ever seen at points. For instance Corey Lynch made Moore a legend on his blocked field goal against Michigan...but Michigan should have never had the ball to end the game. Moore got trigger happy and kicked that field goal wayyyyyy too soon and almost cost us one of the "biggest upsets in football history"

But he does have the "stats" they say he is one of the best. I agree with earlier poster though that there are too many great coaches to even think about picking one for me.

Well I hopefully will not flame you but I am going to disagree. He has had one losing season since coming to Boone. He has surrounded himself with a quality staff and kept them together. He is the winningest coach in SoCon history. His players are good people and when they screw up he takes care of business and he doesn't put up with it. I don't think you know as much about him and his program as you think. He was a great coach before Corey Lynch. Besides somebody had to recruit him.

As to the early post about him not being sustained.... If his record during his time at App is not "sustained" then what is??? This thread will quickly become a homer thread I think. I am here to defend a coach that I played for and truly respect from people who have never played for him and form their opinions from the safety of the stands.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Jerry Moore is much more than a "prop."

I agree that he should have gotten on Welton's case... but, to say Jerry doesn't have control of his players is just ridiculous. The team has had very little off the field trouble. He has no hesitation benching players when they do screw up.

As for the time management at the end of the Michigan game... Scott Satterfield said they talked about what to do after Michigan called time out. Satterfield said they should kick it. You can see on the video Shawn Elliott being very animated talking to Jerry during the timeout pointing a finger in the air... I assume Elliott was begging for one shot at the endzone before kicking the field goal. Kicking the field goal on first down wasn't what almost cost us... it was poor defense. Honestly, if you can't stop a team from driving ~70 yards with 26 seconds left... you don't really deserve to win.

The only problem is that his success hasn't been sustained, only really recent.

I disagree with that. He'd been to the playoffs 10 times, finished in the top 10 9 times, finished in the top 5 3 times BEFORE the 2005 season. He's had one losing season in 20 years as head coach. That's a VERY successful career in my (homer) book.

Granted, he only started winning national championships 3 years ago... but, I don't think you have to win them to be successful. If that's the criteria of success then, I guess, KC Keeler and Mickey Matthews are the only others that could be considered?

SoCon48
November 14th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Well I hopefully will not flame you but I am going to disagree. He has had one losing season since coming to Boone. He has surrounded himself with a quality staff and kept them together. He is the winningest coach in SoCon history. His players are good people and when they screw up he takes care of business and he doesn't put up with it. I don't think you know as much about him and his program as you think. He was a great coach before Corey Lynch. Besides somebody had to recruit him.

As to the early post about him not being sustained.... If his record during his time at App is not "sustained" then what is??? This thread will quickly become a homer thread I think. I am here to defend a coach that I played for and truly respect from people who have never played for him and form their opinions from the safety of the stands.

It couldn't possibly be JM. After all they wanted to fire him 5 years ago.;) ;) ;)
Just kidding. In my opinion, in the FCS/IAA ranks, all around, he is the best. Leadership is his number one trait.

ASUG8
November 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM

You rang?

A poll on here would be useless, because there are too many of us App homers. Ayers at WoCo has done some amazing things with their program, and Hatcher at GSU will get that program turned around. I've never seen Montana play, but it's hard to argue with their record under Hauck.

SoCon48
November 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Not one of your better posts to say the least. In fact, not one of the better posts on this board.

ASUG8
November 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Not one of your better posts to say the least. In fact, not one of the better posts on this board.

Agreed - calling Moore out for two instances in 20 yrs is pretty weak.

OL FU
November 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
It is hard to compare since so many programs are so different. A good example is Ayers at Wofford with a student body of 1500 or so and for a long time scholarship numbers in the low 50's (not sure what they are now) and very little, if any, give in their academic requirements.
But seriously, I don't know how Moore could not be near the top. He has led ASU to an unprecedented three NCs in a row. It is hard to argue against that type of success. xnodx

james_lawfirm
November 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Wow, the only thing I agree with in the above post is that we both agree that you deserve to be flamed. So, here goes. Kicked the field goal in Mich. way too soon? Would you have had him go for it on 4th down when we were down by 1? What other choice did he have? Please enlighten us.

OK, you poo-poo stats showing Coach Moore is one of the best. What other sort of "style-points" would you prefer to use?

As for the Welton thing, I was at the game & I have watched the game about 5 times now. I could not tell Welton said anything or did anything to get a personal foul. One of those fouls was when Quick scored one of his TDs & dunked the ball over the goal post. I assumed that the flag was actually on #8 & the ref just named the wrong number. Do you suppose Coach Moore thought the refs were a little trigger happy on the excessive celebrations? I think that's what he thought.

proasu89
November 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I think it'd be really tough to pin down the best coach currently in FCS.

As much as it hurts to say, Montana State looks to have a phenomenal coach in Rob Ash, and they should be scary in the next few years.

Hauck is pretty amazing, given his youth and short time at UM, plus the intensely high standards which he had to live up to in his very first year and since then (as illustrated by fans like Alpha and Wolfy) has been pretty amazing.

However, I don't know how you could take anyone over Jerry Moore at this point. Three NC's in a row, and I think you have the best Coach that's coaching right now. The only problem is that his success hasn't been sustained, only really recent. If I remember correctly, fans were calling for him to be fired before ASU won its first NC. Even so, I don't think anyone is coaching better right now.

So I guess you could chalk up my vote for Jerry Moore.

175-72 while at ASU. One losing season in 20 years at ASU. 1 of only 6 active DI coaches w/ 200+ wins. xpeacex

DLS
November 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Wow, the only thing I agree with in the above post is that we both agree that you deserve to be flamed. So, here goes. Kicked the field goal in Mich. way too soon? Would you have had him go for it on 4th down when we were down by 1? What other choice did he have? Please enlighten us.

OK, you poo-poo stats showing Coach Moore is one of the best. What other sort of "style-points" would you prefer to use?

As for the Welton thing, I was at the game & I have watched the game about 5 times now. I could not tell Welton said anything or did anything to get a personal foul. One of those fouls was when Quick scored one of his TDs & dunked the ball over the goal post. I assumed that the flag was actually on #8 & the ref just named the wrong number. Do you suppose Coach Moore thought the refs were a little trigger happy on the excessive celebrations? I think that's what he thought.

the welton thing was due to him taking his hat off after the td. you could see moore get livid with the ref for calling that.

he talks about it in the post game interview

Native
November 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
In his fourth year at Weber State, coach Ron McBride is leading the Weber State Wildcats right into the FCS playoffs with the first Big Sky Conference football championship in 40 years and the first victory over Montana in 10 years. xnodx

With one remaining regular season game remaining for 2008, Coach McBride is 18-12 in Big Sky competition and 24-20 overall at WSU. :)

Coach Mac is an excellent tactician, a superb program manager, and an outstanding recruiter. He holds high standards while maintaining individual relationships with each of his players, parents and sponsors, and has assembled an excellent staff. Even at age 69 he runs circles around much of his younger competition, and was recently awarded another four year contract. Asked about coaching 'til he's 73, Mac said if he died, he wanted his coaches to make a cardboard cutout of him and put it on the sidelines. Now that's my kind of coach! xthumbsupx

2008 is the first year that coach Mac has enjoyed the full fruit of his recruiting efforts, and it shows in the performances of his players, including sophomore quarterback and Walter Payton nominee Cameron Higgins (241-351-8 passing this season for 3,496 yards and 33 touchdowns), junior running back and three-time Big Sky rushing leader Trevyn Smith (233 carries for 1173 net yards and 15 touchdowns), and junior defensive end Kevin Linehan (13.5 tackles for a loss, 9.5 sacks and a fumble recovery returned 97 yards for a touchdown), just to name a few. xrotatehx

Over his entire career as a head coach, Mac is 112-83, which includes 13 years at Utah. There, his teams won two conference championships and made six post season bowl appearances, highlighted by a 2001 Las Vegas Bowl victory over USC - yes, the University of Southern California. xcoolx

Mac has sent a number of players to the NFL and CFL. In this year's draft, Weber State Offensive Linemen David Hale was picked up in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens, and Dmitri Tsoumpas was the second overall pick in the Canadian Football League draft, taken by the Calgary Stampeders.xsmiley_wix

Other NFL players mentored by Coach McBride include:

Jamal Anderson - All-Pro running back, Atlanta Falcons
Mike Anderson - 2000 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Denver Broncos
Kevin Dyson - The first wide receiver taken in the 1998 NFL draft; starter for Tennessee Titans in 2000 Super Bowl;
Andre Dyson - Brother of Kevin and defensive back for Tennessee
Luther Ellis - All-Pro defensive lineman, Detroit Lions
Steve Smith - Led the NFL in kickoff returns in 2001; only rookie named to the Pro Bowl team, plays for Carolina Panthers
Jordan Gross - Eighth pick in first round of NFL draft; current starting offensive tackle for Carolina Panthers.
Pat McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)
Paul McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Oakland Raiders in the 3rd round of the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_McBride
http://www.weberstatesports.com/View...ATCLID=1618082

james_lawfirm
November 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM
OK, whoops, the earlier poster was right. We did kick that field goal in Mich. on 1st down, after Hillary got tackled inside the 10. I remember Coach Elliott trying to run 1 more play. The problem was we were out of time outs & lots of things could go wrong. Kicking the field goal at that time was absolutely the right call.

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM

I may not know as much about him from a players point of view, but I've been going to App games since the mid 80's and have known many people who have played for him, so I know a little about the program. Maybe not from the locker room, but saying people know less because they didn't play is kinda silly. Might wanna tell Texas Tech and Notre Dame and Georgia Tech etc to fire there coaches since they were never players. John Clayton should stop writing about football too as well.....

I have a lot of respect for Coach Moore...I base my opinions on what I see on the field. When a guy scores a touchdown and then starts jawwing with the other team and cost your team 15 yards, you would think that the coach would make sure that didn't happen again, and if it did he should be benched for lack of discipline. Well Welton racked up another 15 yarder later in the game.

His first penalty came at a crucial time. We had just taken a 21-14 lead. Luckily LeGree came up big and stopped the play with an interception, but they started that drive with pretty good field position. Then he got hit with another unsportsmanlike in the 3rd quarter. You would think somewhere between the first half and the second half maybe someone would have said this is unacceptable. I was embarrassed as an App fan watching on National Television the lack of sportsmanship from Welton. There were a few other times he didn't get called that you could see him running his mouth.

Maybe lack of control wasn't a good way to put it, but there is a lack of discipline when one player gives the team great field position because he is a bonehead.

I do like the fact he takes care of players who couldn't make it on football skill after college though like Elder and such...Elder is a good addition to the sideline. And yes I know he is the winningest coach etc, but come on now 20 plus years and you got to have WCU and UTC on your schedule every year. I think they have given him over 30 wins lol. JK...

Still glad we got Coach Moore though...if aint broke mantra

just read some of the posts after I posted this....I don't know what exactly got Welton the unsportsmanlike, but I have watched the game several times and you can see him running his mouth to the wofford guys, there is one play where he is backpeddling to the sideline running his mouth.

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
OK, whoops, the earlier poster was right. We did kick that field goal in Mich. on 1st down, after Hillary got tackled inside the 10. I remember Coach Elliott trying to run 1 more play. The problem was we were out of time outs & lots of things could go wrong. Kicking the field goal at that time was absolutely the right call.

take a knee, spike the ball

DLS
November 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM

well they couldve run one more play then spiked it but like you said alot can go wrong.

isnt that right mickey?

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
well they couldve run one more play then spiked it but like you said alot can go wrong.

isnt that right mickey?

ouch

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 08:04 AM

I try to mix it up a bit...don't wanna get labled a homer

mtnman
November 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I may not know as much about him from a players point of view, but I've been going to App games since the mid 80's and have known many people who have played for him, so I know a little about the program. Maybe not from the locker room, but saying people know less because they didn't play is kinda silly. Might wanna tell Texas Tech and Notre Dame and Georgia Tech etc to fire there coaches since they were never players. John Clayton should stop writing about football too as well.....

I have a lot of respect for Coach Moore...I base my opinions on what I see on the field. When a guy scores a touchdown and then starts jawwing with the other team and cost your team 15 yards, you would think that the coach would make sure that didn't happen again, and if it did he should be benched for lack of discipline. Well Welton racked up another 15 yarder later in the game.

His first penalty came at a crucial time. We had just taken a 21-14 lead. Luckily LeGree came up big and stopped the play with an interception, but they started that drive with pretty good field position. Then he got hit with another unsportsmanlike in the 3rd quarter. You would think somewhere between the first half and the second half maybe someone would have said this is unacceptable. I was embarrassed as an App fan watching on National Television the lack of sportsmanship from Welton. There were a few other times he didn't get called that you could see him running his mouth.

Maybe lack of control wasn't a good way to put it, but there is a lack of discipline when one player gives the team great field position because he is a bonehead.

I do like the fact he takes care of players who couldn't make it on football skill after college though like Elder and such...Elder is a good addition to the sideline. And yes I know he is the winningest coach etc, but come on now 20 plus years and you got to have WCU and UTC on your schedule every year. I think they have given him over 30 wins lol. JK...

Still glad we got Coach Moore though...if aint broke mantra

just read some of the posts after I posted this....I don't know what exactly got Welton the unsportsmanlike, but I have watched the game several times and you can see him running his mouth to the wofford guys, there is one play where he is backpeddling to the sideline running his mouth.
you are like me a little old school i have been an asu fan all my life i am from boone so i have seen almost all there home games since the 70s,our players now are not like we were when we were younger, if you look at the bigger teams on tv now all players do that show boat stuff,look at me not the team its just the way it is now.i think coach moore is a great coach but he has had some teams that should have won more in the playoffs it took him what 17 years to get it right.

Dane96
November 14th, 2008, 08:11 AM
BOB FORD! Homer yes...but consider this:

Worst Stadium, outside of IONA, in the FCS.

A hair of a million dollar budget.

Kids that no one wanted

Play anyone anywher mentality

Former President of the Coaches Association

More coaches from his lineage coaching in the NFL, College, and High School (per all the stories written about him.

Only 30 scholarships

Will try any play at any, and often uncoventional, times.

Built a team that coaches at Delaware, Montana, Hofstra, UMASS, etc...have said plays tougher and more physical than any teams they face.

Built a team that most teams are wary of playing.

Numerous NFL players...again...that were not scholarship kids.

Team has won 13 straight conference games...mostly in dominating fashion.

FOLKS, I give you BOB FORD; Nobody does more with less!

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
you are like me a little old school i have been an asu fan all my life i am from boone so i have seen almost all there home games since the 70s,our players now are not like we were when we were younger, if you look at the bigger teams on tv now all players do that show boat stuff,look at me not the team its just the way it is now.i think coach moore is a great coach but he has had some teams that should have won more in the playoffs it took him what 17 years to get it right.

1995 xwhistlex

Cobblestone
November 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Let me throw one in from the CAA here. Maybe this is the wrong thread but I think Andy Talley has done a good consistent job in his 22 seasons at Villanova. I wish we could keep a coach for that long.

appstate38
November 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
appstate1998,

You will get no argument about the penalities. Especially the unsportsmenlike penalities. Because I think they can cost you in the long run. But I don't believe that reflects a lack of discipline on his part or his players. The record speaks for itself on that matter. Maybe just maybe they have decided that the players can celebrate however they want and penalities be damned. I don't know but it is a possiblity. I think back to AE doing a flip in the endzone against Richmond last year and K Rich celebration dance routine in the Championship game. Something to think about.

Now back on message and the point of this thread. Jerry Moore is the best FCS coach ever..... PERIOD!:D

appstate1998
November 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
appstate1998,

You will get no argument about the penalities. Especially the unsportsmenlike penalities. Because I think they can cost you in the long run. But I don't believe that reflects a lack of discipline on his part or his players. The record speaks for itself on that matter. Maybe just maybe they have decided that the players can celebrate however they want and penalities be damned. I don't know but it is a possiblity. I think back to AE doing a flip in the endzone against Richmond last year and K Rich celebration dance routine in the Championship game. Something to think about.

Now back on message and the point of this thread. Jerry Moore is the best FCS coach ever..... PERIOD!:D

I wish you could celebrate however you want as well, but in a tight game gotta use your head.....it was back and forth at that point and like I said it didn't cost us in the long run because LeGree's glue hands worked their magic and killed the momentum for Wofford.

and based on longevity at the same job, I'll say he is one of the best ever.

On a side note...if they were to ever build a new stadium after he retires....you think they will name it Jerry Moore Stadium?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
BOB FORD! Homer yes...but consider this:

Worst Stadium, outside of IONA, in the FCS.

A hair of a million dollar budget.

Kids that no one wanted

Play anyone anywher mentality

Former President of the Coaches Association

More coaches from his lineage coaching in the NFL, College, and High School (per all the stories written about him.

Only 30 scholarships

Will try any play at any, and often uncoventional, times.

Built a team that coaches at Delaware, Montana, Hofstra, UMASS, etc...have said plays tougher and more physical than any teams they face.

Built a team that most teams are wary of playing.

Numerous NFL players...again...that were not scholarship kids.

Team has won 13 straight conference games...mostly in dominating fashion.

FOLKS, I give you BOB FORD!

Bob Ford is in my top 5 favorite coaches of all time in 1AA.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Sean McDonnell or Jack Cosgrove.

appstate38
November 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I wish you could celebrate however you want as well, but in a tight game gotta use your head.....it was back and forth at that point and like I said it didn't cost us in the long run because LeGree's glue hands worked their magic and killed the momentum for Wofford.

On a side note...if they were to ever build a new stadium after he retires....you think they will name it Jerry Moore Stadium?

I don't know that we build a new stadium, but I would bet the field will be renamed after he retires. How does Jerry Moore field at Kidd Brewer Stadium hit ya??

grizbeer
November 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Is there a profane gene in Montana? What the heck is the deal?xlolx xlolx xlolx It is our logging and mining (and Irish) heritage.

I agree, not way to pick one coach.

Mntneer
November 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM

I think the general consensus is that Jerry Moore Field is going to happen. Any possibility for a new stadium, for better or worse, was taken off the table once the decision to renovate KBS was made.

Dane96
November 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Sean McDonnell or Jack Cosgrove.

Really, Jack Cosgrove? Is that a joke.

I sense some Maine fans, even with this years success, would beg to differ.

blueballs
November 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
In FCS Mike Ayers...

After him, the next five in no particular order: Moore, McConnell, Matthews, Farley, Houck.

But seriously folks, the best coach in football is Bill Bellichick...

Native
November 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
In his fourth year at Weber State, coach Ron McBride is leading the Weber State Wildcats right into the FCS playoffs with the first Big Sky Conference football championship in 40 years and the first victory over Montana in 10 years. xnodx

... 13 years at Utah. There, his teams won two conference championships and made six post season bowl appearances, highlighted by a 2001 Las Vegas Bowl victory over USC - yes, the University of Southern California. xcoolx ...

I forgot to mention that McBride played professional football with the San Jose Apaches of the USA League, where he was a linebacker and defensive coordinator.:) xnodx

I also forgot to mention that his post season victories at Utah included a 1999 win over Fresno State in the Las Vegas Bowl and a 1994 win over Arizona in the Freedom Bowl. xthumbsupx

I mention these items just to remind my Grizzly cousins that Weber State may not be a flash in the pan. If we can keep Mac alive, the Wildcats have a pretty good chance of sustaining the football program for a while at WSU. xsmiley_wix

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
When I rank coaches, I like to rate how good a coach does with respect to what kind of program they are in charge of. There are a few programs in the FCS that any fool could coach to a winning season. That having been said, I think one man being overlooked is PVAMU's Henry Frazier. PVAMU has been a team where 2 wins is considered a successful season. Now he has them within reach of the SWAC championship.

beauvighn
November 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
With all due respect to Jerry Moore, anybody could take the App. talent and win. Heck, he ought to be fired if he doesn't at least play for the NC. I can remember not too many years ago the App faithful were calling for his head.

IMO, Mike Ayers does more with less at Woffrd than any other coach. I doubt there are many players on the Wofford team that you would trade position for position for. When is the last time you heard of a Wofford player going pro in anything but Medicine or Law.

HiHiYikas
November 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
With all due respect to Jerry Moore, anybody could take the App. talent and win...

IMO, Mike Ayers does more with less at Woffrod than any other coach.
And ask a Georgia Southern fan if that's true; they might tell you a story about a certain head coach who turned a Payton award winning QB into a part-time receiver. Or ask a UTC about watching one of the conference's best recruiting classes lose 8 or 9 games a season. I'm not sure it's as easy as one might think.

And not just anybody could sustain an above-average-to-excellent program for 20 years, so better and better talent keeps emerging. Almost nobody can turn a program into year-in, year-out contender, much less a three-peat champion.

No question about it, though - Ayers is for sure one of the top coaches in FCS. Pete Lembo ain't no slouch, either.

HoyaMetanoia
November 14th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Unquestionably Kevin Kelly at Georgetown.

I mean, in only one year, the man has doubled the team's win total from the prior year, and produced the first non-loss to Colgate in a while for Georgetown football.

Reign of Terrier
November 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM
It is hard to compare since so many programs are so different. A good example is Ayers at Wofford with a student body of 1500 or so and for a long time scholarship numbers in the low 50's (not sure what they are now) and very little, if any, give in their academic requirements.
But seriously, I don't know how Moore could not be near the top. He has led ASU to an unprecedented three NCs in a row. It is hard to argue against that type of success. xnodx

About 1350 now but I see your point. BTW I don't know a lot of FCS coaches but I do believe Higgens at the Citadel is a good coach, but the players are the only thing holding him back from being good (rookie mistakes by underclassmen)

The Moody1
November 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I try to mix it up a bit...don't wanna get labled a homer

Probably better to be labeled a homer than what most app fans who read your post would want to label you.

appstate1998
November 15th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Probably better to be labeled a homer than what most app fans who read your post would want to label you.

a long time fan who has watched App always lose the game when it mattered most? I just find it funny how so many people think I am so dead wrong. App has been the most talented team the last few years. Do I think the three peat has anything to do with Jerry...maybe a little. I think it has more to do with Satterfield and his intensity and the superior athletes App has. If you don't remember people were calling for Jerry to retire after the 2004 debacle. You know another one of his winning seasons (6-5). I could care less what you think or label me....

1995 was just WOW...losing to SP Austin after the year we had only to see Montana beat them like a high school JV team the next week.

Until 05, App won 2 outright SoCon titles. So thats 2 out of 16 seasons. You can say 3 out of 17 seasons if you wanna count the three way tie in 1999.

Paul Johnson only coached 5 years a Georgia Southern...was 62-10. I think he had 3 outright SoCon titles, 2 shared and oh yeah didn't he win 2 national championships?

Point is Jerry's longevity is why he has the most wins and App's recent success has really padded his numbers. I don't know anyone on this board, but it sounds like a lot of the App fans have been fans from 2005-present. I've been going to games since Sparky was the coach and have seen almost every home game since Jerry has been coach until this year. Many of his "winning seasons" came because the SoCon still allows Western Carolina and UTC to play in the conference so everyone has (usually) 2 wins automatically.

Jerry was a decent coach until 2005, now all of a sudden he's "the greatest ever" In his previous 10 playoff appearances we were bounced in he first round 5 times, the second round 4 and 1 semi final. He had been a 7 win a year coach which is respectable but not great. But I'm sorry for remembering years before 2005. I will be sure not to let it happen again.

Shame on me....let me say what I am supposed to. Jerry Moore is he greatest coach on the planet. He is a God amongst mere mortals in the coaching field. I love you Jerry. Let me back on xbandwagonx

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Do I think the three peat has anything to do with Jerry...maybe a little.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah, Jerry might have a had a "little" to do with the three NC's. xrolleyesx

If you don't remember people were calling for Jerry to retire after the 2004 debacle.

Not everyone was... and, I am going to assume you were one of these people. xsmhx

Many of his "winning seasons" came because the SoCon still allows Western Carolina and UTC to play in the conference so everyone has (usually) 2 wins automatically.

Every single conference has a couple of bad teams. SEC, Pac-10, CAA, Big Sky, MVFC, etc., etc. Every coach doesn't play top 10 or top 25 caliber games every single week. What is your point?

Jerry was a decent coach until 2005, now all of a sudden he's "the greatest ever"

I don't think he's the greatest ever. And, I think whether he is the best current coach in the FCS is debatable. He certainly has the best record and championship resume of any coach in the FCS. However, it depends how you want to judge the greatness of the coach. As other have pointed out, coaches at a lot of other schools (Ayers at Wofford and Bob Ford at Albany) have done a lot with very little.

In his previous 10 playoff appearances we were bounced in he first round 5 times, the second round 4 and 1 semi final. He had been a 7 win a year coach which is respectable but not great.

And, you sound exactly like Wolfman and alphagriz. I think his 16 years before 2005 were very successful. He wasn't a "7 win a year coach" before 2005. 9 of those 16 season he did better than 7 wins.

Shame on me....let me say what I am supposed to. Jerry Moore is he greatest coach on the planet. He is a God amongst mere mortals in the coaching field. I love you Jerry. Let me back on xbandwagonx

xrolleyesx It's not one extreme or the other. I believe you are being unfair to Moore and you don't even have to think he is the best current coach in FCS, much less the greatest ever. However, you are borderline TRASHING him with stuff like this:

I've already explained my irritation at the fact he doesn't even control his players.

beauvighn
November 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah, Jerry might have a had a "little" to do with the three NC's. xrolleyesx

I agree Jerry Moore is a fine coach, but I think Armanti Edwards had a lot more to do with those 3 NC's than J. Moore did. Take AE out of the equation and you guys are in the same boat as the other top 5-6 teams that have a legitimate chance to win it.

The GSU faithful are finding out that a T. Hamm, AP, and J. Foster can make a good coach a great coach.

appstate1998
November 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
And, you sound exactly like Wolfman and alphagriz. I think his 16 years before 2005 were very successful. He wasn't a "7 win a year coach" before 2005. 9 of those 16 season he did better than 7 wins.

Sorry I looked it up and he averaged 8 wins a years instead of 7, including playoff wins... so I stand corrected.

However, I measure success of a coach by how well their team performs in the playoffs. Some base it off the regular season. I prefer the playoffs because you aren't playing a western carolina or a UTC or 1 or 2 division 2 schools every year. ( which is one thing I am happy Appalachian has said they are going to continue scheduling only Division 1, a trend that started last year.)

And as far as me calling for his job after 2004...I had already given up by that time.

I'm not gonna debate Coach Moore anymore though. Maybe he can keep coaching another 20 years. Put him in the press box like Paterno.

Anyways...GO APP....can't wait for 3pm to get here

GrizzlyBill
November 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
With most of the posts in this thread debating Jerry Moore's qualifications, plus a few good points about guys, like at Wofford and Albany, who do a lot with little; I would just reiterate that what BH has done is to meet high expectations. How many can say they have that? That may be the hardest thing of all to do.

It is the intangibles of being prepared week in and week out. Mistakes are made, of course, bad play calling, etc., but over all Griz football has been FUN to watch for 6 straight years. A lot is due to talent, but Hauck is becoming responsible even for that, now that these recruits are all from on his watch.

However, I do agree that Ash at the Bobcats is showing potential. And, success may breed success for McBride at Weber. We'll see.

HiHiYikas
November 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I agree Jerry Moore is a fine coach, but I think Armanti Edwards had a lot more to do with those 3 NC's than J. Moore did. Take AE out of the equation and you guys are in the same boat as the other top 5-6 teams that have a legitimate chance to win it.

The GSU faithful are finding out that a T. Hamm, AP, and J. Foster can make a good coach a great coach.
Again, Armanti was a senior in High School when ASU won championship #1. He had zero to do with the first title.

I'm not saying AE isn't super-duper electric. I do think he's a bit overated, in the sense that his talent tends to overshadow the extraordinary talent of ASU's other players.

Last season, for instance, the Mountaineers had a NCAA record-breaking RB in Kevin Richardson and a Buchanan award finalist in Corey Lynch. In fact, Lynch finished only 5 points away from the Buchanan award, and the year before that, DE Marques Murrell finished third in Buchanan voting.

I can totally understand fans of other SoCon schools saying "well, ASU will be mortal again when #14 graduates." I'd be drinking that koolaid, too, if I were in your shoes. But those with more than three seasons worth of SoCon football experience remember saying "ASU will be mortal again when #7 graduates."

I'm not saying it's a lock, but I'm certainly looking forward to the days when other SoCon fans are saying "ASU will be mortal again when #2 graduates."