PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte to Start Football Team

Pages : [1] 2 3

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Just had a unanimous vote by the Board of Trustees to add football by 2013. They are looking to come into the FCS level to start out.

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Ruh roh.........App fans in 5...4...3....2....1

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
http://news14.com/content/top_stories/601437/uncc-board-votes-in-favor-of-football/Default.aspx

Looks like its official now. I wonder how popular the "Niners" will be with the casual football fan xlolx

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
They've already had 4,167,000 dollars pledged from selling seat licenses to build the new stadium.

They have also had one extremely large donation from a very generous individual.

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Charlotte Observer article...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/347975.html

Eight Legger
November 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Looks like they got the votes....

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/nov/13/uncc-trustees-vote-start-football/

jaxstatealum
November 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Any early guesses what conference they would land in?

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Mods should consider merging this with the one in the Other Sports section. Considering they will be FCS it should apply in here more directly.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52300

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Isn't that a huge "if" - "if" they can raise the money?

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Any early guesses what conference they would land in?

My money is on the SoCon...although the Big South is also in play purely from a football standpoint. And the CAA as well since they are in the A-10 (pending the assumed realignment in the Divisions after 2011)

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
This has probably been addressed before in UNCC threads, but why are they going to build a stadium on campus? Memorial Stadium downtown would serve their purposes just as well, it seats over 20K, and save them a big chunk of change. They are probably looking towards BCS football at some point and maybe they are planning to expand to a bigger stadium on campus, but if that is the case why build one that is only 12,000 seats now and then have to spend to expand it later? Anybody understand what their thinking is here?

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
This has probably been addressed before in UNCC threads, but why are they going to build a stadium on campus? Memorial Stadium downtown would serve their purposes just as well, it seats over 20K, and save them a big chunk of change. They are probably looking towards BCS football at some point and maybe they are planning to expand to a bigger stadium on campus, but if that is the case why build one that is only 12,000 seats now and then have to spend to expand it later? Anybody understand what their thinking is here?

I dunno, but as LFN said, theres a big IF attached to this. Maybe they think the attempt is going to flounder? Or they think that support will not be that great for a few years?

DLS
November 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM

yes,

memorial stadium is used by countless other schools and orginizations in the area. not to mention i believe its owned by cpcc.

also thats a good 15 to 20 miles from campus.

im guessing they are building the stadium on the soccer fields behind the citgo at mallard creek rd and tryon or the old baseball fields but i dont know for sure.

its easier to build with expansion in mind.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Charlotte will seek the Big South as a stepping stone for a C-USA bid, and will settle for SBC. The A-10 probably doesn't figure into it.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You guys are caaaahrazy. Depending on what happens with the rumor-mill in the Big East...I would not be shocked to see a Big East bid.

Why?

Another football school eventually, another large market, and, most important...a bigger foothold into the land of the ACC.

IF...a big IF...Charlotte does this right...they will be fast-tracked like South Florida.

BearsCountry
November 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I see them and Georgia State eventually in the Sun Belt. Kind of ironic since they were once in that league.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I understand the 49ers wanting to draw people to campus, but $40 million or so for the stadium is a huge chunk of change. I think DFW Hoya has it right, that the administration wants to try and move to ocnference USA eventually, but it seems to me that they are gambling a lot of money for a few years in the Big South before probably ending up in the Sun Belt.

(Weren't they in the Sun Belt as a basketball school years ago? And conference USA after that?)

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
They'll probably land in the CAA with the other A10 members. with the hopes of moving to the Big East. They do NOT want to go back to C-USA after being forced to leave that conference because they did not have football.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
You guys are caaaahrazy. Depending on what happens with the rumor-mill in the Big East...I would not be shocked to see a Big East bid.

You may want to revisit the comments from the new BE commissioner--they are not looking for a 17th school.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
In September, Dubois recommended the school suit up a team by 2013, if boosters and football fans demonstrated support by raising $5 million in six months to help build a $45.3 million stadium complex.

"The cold stark financial reality we face is that those who say they want football are going to have to help pay for football," Dubois told trustees in Spetember. "We need to see support demonstrated now."

He suggested selling 5,000 personal seat licenses - or "Forty-Niner Seat Licenses" - for $1,000 each, just for the right to buy tickets, within six months of the BOT's vote.

IMO... this is basically taking the UNCC fan community hostage. "Fork over the friggin' money, NOW! Or else, no team!"

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
You may want to revisit the comments from the new BE commissioner--they are not looking for a 17th school.

There is going to be another conference realignment Big East is looking to become a BCS conference. In my opinion they are going to lose a couple of the non football schools to make room for schools who do have it.

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Why?

Another football school eventually, another large market, and, most important...a bigger foothold into the land of the ACC.

IF...a big IF...Charlotte does this right...they will be fast-tracked like South Florida.

I just don't understand this line of thinking. UNCC brings the Charlotte market the same way Samford brings the Birmingham market. There just isn't that much support. I live in Charlotte, and I see more UNC, NCST,Duke, ASU, WF, ECU, and Clemson stuff DAILY than UNCC. Its just a hard sell, it is ACC country for basketball, ACC, SEC, ECU, ASU for football. Charlotte would make an excellent candidate for CUSA, especially if they made some changes.

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
IMO... this is basically taking the UNCC fan community hostage. "Fork over the friggin' money, NOW! Or else, no team!"

it is. With the economy the way it is now, its a tough pill to swallow. Their Chancellor said that if they wanted football they are going to have to pay it. 5 million for the stadium +10 million from corporate sponsors. In my opinion, the 10 mil from corporate sponsors is going to be harder than the private donations. Charlottes big businesses have been hit HARD. BoA, Wach, Lowes. I read somewhere they think BoJos is going to sponsor a stadium. LOL they have been on the cusp for about 10 years.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
No - it is a put up or shut up about football move.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Ahhh...and I thought Georgetown produced academics!

You may want to revist my post and read it carefully. And yes, I know what the new Big East Commissioner said publicly. I also know things that are being said privately...at the highest levels at six BE schools.

Again, re-read what I wrote.

dbackjon
November 13th, 2008, 12:46 PM
it is. With the economy the way it is now, its a tough pill to swallow. Their Chancellor said that if they wanted football they are going to have to pay it. 5 million for the stadium +10 million from corporate sponsors. In my opinion, the 10 mil from corporate sponsors is going to be harder than the private donations. Charlottes big businesses have been hit HARD. BoA, Wach, Lowes. I read somewhere they think BoJos is going to sponsor a stadium. LOL they have been on the cusp for about 10 years.

BofA is making Billions...

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I just don't understand this line of thinking. UNCC brings the Charlotte market the same way Samford brings the Birmingham market. There just isn't that much support. I live in Charlotte, and I see more UNC, NCST,Duke, ASU, WF, ECU, and Clemson stuff DAILY than UNCC. Its just a hard sell, it is ACC country for basketball, ACC, SEC, ECU, ASU for football. Charlotte would make an excellent candidate for CUSA, especially if they made some changes.

Ok...I will point to S. Florida. Same story...only difference is arguably there are more athletes to pick from in the Florida recruiting area. S. Florida had ZERO support until a few years ago.

Same with UCONN.

If done right...and the BE splits...BANK IT: Charlotte will be in the BE. And, for as much as it is ACC country, recruits still head North and South....to both leagues.

Frankly, the ACC for football is not much ahead, if at all, than the BE except for name recognition. As for hoops...negligble.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM

My company had a meeting with B of A last week. They are doing so well they are probably going to fund, outright lease deal, an entire public works project to the tune of 500mm-1billion USD.

They are doing quite fine.

Jackman
November 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM
They already have more than $4 million of the $5 million in seat licenses pledged (though not collected). If they follow through they're going to hit that mark easily. They're already talking about increasing the seat licenses to offset some of the other fundraising.

Appinator
November 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think they are GROSSLY underestimating costs here. I would suspect that not all of that 40+ million dollars will be going to football, per Title IX. I think they will be either sorely disappointed with the 30 million dollar stadium they will end up with, or completely broke with an awesome 80 million dollar place.

The reason USF didn't experience this is because they went from their crappy initial field to Raymond James, a crown jewel of the NFL. With these plans, BofA field isn't even on their radar, and they will be more along the lines of Buffalo, FIU, FAU, etc. It will be a long journey for the 49er's

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM
My company had a meeting with B of A last week. They are doing so well they are probably going to fund, outright lease deal, an entire public works project to the tune of 500mm-1billion USD.

They are doing quite fine.

a quick look at their financials:

Financials (In millions of USD)
Income Statement Quarterly
(Sep '08) Annual
(2007) Annual
(2006)
Net Income 1,177.00 14,982.00 21,133.00
Balance Sheet
Total Assets 1,831,177.00 1,715,746.00 1,459,737.00
Total Liabilities 1,670,138.00 1,568,943.00 1,324,465.00
Total Equity 161,039.00 146,803.00 135,272.00
Cash Flow
Net Income/Starting Line 1,177.00 14,982.00 21,133.00
Cash from Operating Activities 20,078.00 11,036.00 14,509.00
Cash from Investing Activities 30,471.00 -108,480.00 -68,304.00
Cash from Financing Activities -50,250.00 103,412.00 53,133.00
Net Change in Cash 214.00 6,102.00 -570.00

its hard to read but everything is not hunky dory. They lost 108 billion last year from investing, and this year is looking much worse, they must be moving ***** around like crazy to make sure it doesn't look so bad considering they lost 50 bil. in financing activities. BoA is going to survive this current crisis, but they are not making "billions" and doing great.

DLS
November 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
i've lived in the uncc area of charlotte for 20yrs now and the support is there without question. i cant imagine a student body that wants football more than uncc. they are one of the largest schools without one period.

uncc has been selling niner football shirts since the ninetys. trust me this team is long over due.

on weekends that campus is barren because there is nothing going on, they NEED something to keep people interested for more than basketball.

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ok...I will point to S. Florida. Same story...only difference is arguably there are more athletes to pick from in the Florida recruiting area. S. Florida had ZERO support until a few years ago.

Same with UCONN.

If done right...and the BE splits...BANK IT: Charlotte will be in the BE. And, for as much as it is ACC country, recruits still head North and South....to both leagues.

Frankly, the ACC for football is not much ahead, if at all, than the BE except for name recognition. As for hoops...negligble.

lots of differences. South Florida is HUGE. UNCC only has 22k right now, with *plans* for 35k. Wasn't USF around 30-33k when they added football? USF had a promised fast track, UNCC doesn't. USF added during an economic boom, UNCC isn't.

DLS
November 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM

(Sep '08) Annual
(2007) Annual
(2006)
Balance Sheet
Cash Flow

its hard to read but everything is not hunky dory. They lost 108 billion last year from investing, and this year is looking much worse, they must be moving ***** around like crazy to make sure it doesn't look so bad considering they lost 50 bil. in financing activities. BoA is going to survive this current crisis, but they are not making "billions" and doing great.

dont worry Obama is bringing the change.

MasonJar
November 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Yay. xcoffeex UNC-Concrete football... Instead of "The Rock" maybe they can call their stadium "The Slab."

If football flies for UNCC, I guess we can expect more of the "Much ado about nothing" we see out of the 49er hoops program.

On the bright side for the 49ers, it must be tough to have homecoming at a basketball game in mid-winter... Football would help them out a little...

xgiveadamnx

Pard94
November 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Can we avoid yet another boring thread and simply cross them off the list as a potential expansion target for for Patriot League right from the "get go"...

http://sports.excite.com/news/11132008/v6097.html

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Meh-I remember when they had Byron Dinkins and "Vanilla" Dan Plondke playing hoops and that was a pretty good team (been a while though).

I'm not worried about UNCC taking any of App's fan base away-even though a lot of the alumni live in and around Charlotte, no way any stadium they get can challenge the view at the Rock.

MasonJar
November 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Meh-I remember when they had Byron Dinkins and "Vanilla" Dan Plondke playing hoops and that was a pretty good team (been a while though).

I'm not worried about UNCC taking any of App's fan base away-even though a lot of the alumni live in and around Charlotte, no way any stadium they get can challenge the view at the Rock.

Oh, yeah, they have had some great times back with Mullen... and don't forget Cornbread... ASU and UNCC have had some great match-ups through the years. UNCC would actually make a good natural rivalry for the Apps. It would be neat to see a conference that had ASU, UNCC, Marshall, ECU and Maybe GaSouthern.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Oh, yeah, they have had some great times back with Mullen... and don't forget Cornbread... ASU and UNCC have had some great match-ups through the years. UNCC would actually make a good natural rivalry for the Apps. It would be neat to see a conference that had ASU, UNCC, Marshall, ECU and Maybe GaSouthern.

Marshall-I remember going to the Asheville civic center for the conference tournament one year and the @#$& (er, Herd) fans raising the roof. They were a great rival, I miss watching us beat them :D . Hopefully we can rekindle the rivalry with ECU next year.

813Jag
November 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Same with UCONN.

This is very true, and with a year like they are having now that support seems to have dropped off a bit. Lots of people are still fans of the Gates.

813Jag
November 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think they are GROSSLY underestimating costs here. I would suspect that not all of that 40+ million dollars will be going to football, per Title IX. I think they will be either sorely disappointed with the 30 million dollar stadium they will end up with, or completely broke with an awesome 80 million dollar place.

The reason USF didn't experience this is because they went from their crappy initial field to Raymond James, a crown jewel of the NFL. With these plans, BofA field isn't even on their radar, and they will be more along the lines of Buffalo, FIU, FAU, etc. It will be a long journey for the 49er's
USF played at the Big Sombrero (Bermanism) until Ray J was built.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM

(Sep '08) Annual
(2007) Annual
(2006)
Balance Sheet
Cash Flow

First, they cant move **** around to make it look so bad because of the SOX requirements they must adhere to. Second, again, they are doing quite fine. My meetings involve Federal, State, City, SEC, and other officials. If they can fund 1billion for a public works project...CASH PAYMENT...then I think they are fine.

No one is saying it is hunky dory...but they have plenty of $$$ to play with.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
lots of differences. South Florida is HUGE. UNCC only has 22k right now, with *plans* for 35k. Wasn't USF around 30-33k when they added football? USF had a promised fast track, UNCC doesn't. USF added during an economic boom, UNCC isn't.

Seriously...stop embarasing yourself.

South Florida, up until a few years ago...is/was PRIMARILY A COMMUTER SCHOOL. Most students STILL live off-campus in a commuter role. So, that 34,000 student body...is less than that as far as what goes on at the campus. Additionally, that 34k student body INCLUDES the satelite campus (if memory serves correct, St. Pete, Lakeland, and two others). In the end it is probably equal to that of Charlotte. Total enrollment with grad students is in the 44000 range...spread out all over.

Second, how do you know WHAT was/is promised to UNCC?

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
This is very true, and with a year like they are having now that support seems to have dropped off a bit. Lots of people are still fans of the Gates.

Exactly. But...I think you and I have discussed this...USF in 10 years will have constant support. It is Florida and college football is king. Same with UCF.

They get a nice crowd. That is a GREAT comparison to use because frankly...they arent that good of a team. Once they moved out of the ****RUS Bowl...it started picking up for them (this year and last).

They built that stadium for peanuts.

http://www.floridatrend.com/img.aspx?image=images/photos/07-11/football_ucf_stadium.jpg&size=460

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Exactly. But...I think you and I have discussed this...USF in 10 years will have constant support. It is Florida and college football is king. Same with UCF.

They get a nice crowd. That is a GREAT comparison to use because frankly...they arent that good of a team. Once they moved out of the ****RUS Bowl...it started picking up for them (this year and last).

http://www.floridatrend.com/img.aspx?image=images/photos/07-11/football_ucf_stadium.jpg&size=460

$55 million ....cheap cheap cheap

813Jag
November 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I totally agree. It just takes time to reprogram the locals. UCF got a head start with their new stadium and they also have improved their campus.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
$55 million ....cheap cheap cheap

Drives me FWCKIN bananas about the mismanagment at Albany. If UCF can get this thing built on a freakin swamp for 55mm at 45k seats....why cant we get 12k seats built on bonds/loans for 15m up in Albany.

Screw concrete, use steel...deal with amenities later like UCF, FAU, and FIU are doing and get it up.

It costs SO MUCH more to fill in land in FLORIDA. The water table is such that they have to offset it with truckloads of sand...even up in Orlando.

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Drives me FWCKIN bananas about the mismanagment at Albany. If UCF can get this thing built on a freakin swamp for 55mm at 45k seats....why cant we get 12k seats built on bonds/loans for 15m up in Albany.

Screw concrete, use steel...deal with amenities later like UCF, FAU, and FIU are doing and get it up.

It costs SO MUCH more to fill in land in FLORIDA. The water table is such that they have to offset it with truckloads of sand...even up in Orlando.

We could get it built, but it wouldn't look pretty enough to satisfy McElroy's need for a legacy. You could build stands that sit 8,000 on the home side and 4,000 on the away side. Enclose under the bleachers with concrete block and brick in a few years and add a field house in the endzone that could hold VIP suits, etc. later if need be.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
We could get it built, but it wouldn't look pretty enough to satisfy McElroy's need for a legacy. You could build stands that sit 8,000 on the home side and 4,000 on the away side. Enclose under the bleachers with concrete block and brick in a few years and add a field house in the endzone that could hold VIP suits, etc. later if need be.

Funny...those were the plans I was told about in 1991. In McElroy...I dont trust.
xcoffeex

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Funny...those were the plans I was told about in 1991. In McElroy...I dont trust.
xcoffeex

It is exactly what Hofstra did, and their place is just fine, if you ask me.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It is exactly what Hofstra did, and their place is just fine, if you ask me.

Yes it does...and I was on that campus plenty when it was being built! They only screwed up with the connector opposite the press box. Otherwise...just fine!

danefan
November 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yes it does...and I was on that campus plenty when it was being built! They only screwed up with the connector opposite the press box. Otherwise...just fine!

Yeah, it looks like the cost was just too much to creat tunnels so instead they just made the end zone stands separate units.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM

12K? Try 4,500 seats in Washington... xeyebrowx

catdaddy2402
November 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
They'll probably land in the CAA with the other A10 members. with the hopes of moving to the Big East. They do NOT want to go back to C-USA after being forced to leave that conference because they did not have football.

They weren't forced out, and supposedly CUSA helped find them and St Louis a home when CUSA wanted to go to an all-sports conference.

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM

South Florida, up until a few years ago...is/was PRIMARILY A COMMUTER SCHOOL. Most students STILL live off-campus in a commuter role. So, that 34,000 student body...is less than that as far as what goes on at the campus. Additionally, that 34k student body INCLUDES the satelite campus (if memory serves correct, St. Pete, Lakeland, and two others). In the end it is probably equal to that of Charlotte. Total enrollment with grad students is in the 44000 range...spread out all over.

seriously, don't go ad hominem because somebody doesn't agree with your assessment.
And I said 34k back when football was started, now its looking more like 46k total, with 39k being in Tampa. This is still millions more in athletic fees than UNCC can produce, even if they grow to what they *plan* on. (again 22k now which includes thousands of commuters and adult students) You still fail to address the serious economic concerns facing this. UNC schools are going to face some serious cutbacks on funding, which includes the heavy borrowing schools do for new stadiums/upgrades (we did it for KBS, UNC is doing it for their upgrade too).

Secondly I know several people in the higher ups at UNCC. I actually live in Charlotte (not Boston) The chancellor used to live in South Charlotte until they built him a mansion up there. He lived close to several people I know. I may not know what they were promised, but I have a good idea where UNCC realistically sees itself. And the delusional UNCC fanbase that swears up and down that the big east is just waiting for them to add football so that they can join are most likely wrong.

Appstate29
November 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
First, they cant move **** around to make it look so bad because of the SOX requirements they must adhere to. Second, again, they are doing quite fine. My meetings involve Federal, State, City, SEC, and other officials. If they can fund 1billion for a public works project...CASH PAYMENT...then I think they are fine.

No one is saying it is hunky dory...but they have plenty of $$$ to play with.

what is this $1b dollar project you are referring to?

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Cant discuss it...but believe me...it is real. Hasnt been put out on official bid yet. Trying to go P3 on it to avoid bidding.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
seriously, don't go ad hominem because somebody doesn't agree with your assessment.
And I said 34k back when football was started, now its looking more like 46k total, with 39k being in Tampa. This is still millions more in athletic fees than UNCC can produce, even if they grow to what they *plan* on. (again 22k now which includes thousands of commuters and adult students) You still fail to address the serious economic concerns facing this. UNC schools are going to face some serious cutbacks on funding, which includes the heavy borrowing schools do for new stadiums/upgrades (we did it for KBS, UNC is doing it for their upgrade too).

Secondly I know several people in the higher ups at UNCC. I actually live in Charlotte (not Boston) The chancellor used to live in South Charlotte until they built him a mansion up there. He lived close to several people I know. I may not know what they were promised, but I have a good idea where UNCC realistically sees itself. And the delusional UNCC fanbase that swears up and down that the big east is just waiting for them to add football so that they can join are most likely wrong.

I also know people in the Big East...and Charlotte is 100% on the radar. All schools have economic issues right now. No State is filling it worse than NY...we are getting nearly 200mm more cut from our already disgusting cuts.

USF didnt have a lot of $$$...didnt have huge athletic fees...and didnt have support. Same with UCF.

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I like the PFL's idea of not taking members who plan on jumping subdivisions. If UNCC plans on going FBS, let them play as FCS independents.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I like the PFL's idea of not taking members who plan on jumping subdivisions. If UNCC plans on going FBS, let them play as FCS independents.

Agreed!

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2008, 05:49 PM
There is going to be another conference realignment Big East is looking to become a BCS conference.

Big East is in the BCS. xconfusedx

Appinator
November 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM

100% agree

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Wouldn't hurt to set up a scheduling agreement with them to help fill your schedule and theirs though. Just don't give them membership.

phoenixphanatic21
November 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

ASUTed
November 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
They've already had 4,167,000 dollars pledged from selling seat licenses to build the new stadium.

They have also had one extremely large donation from a very generous individual.

Huge difference between pledging money and paying money. To this point they have not accepted any money, read the fine print. They are required to raise 45 mil before it comes true. Good luck with that.

ASUTed
November 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Dude get over it, did you go to uncc? The original poster made some good points about the economy. And you are crazy if you think b of a is doing great, I live in Charlotte and there reputation around here is sinking quickly.

walliver
November 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM

If they want to play FBS football, then why make them play FCS at all? It just makes FCS look like a stepping stone, instead of a realistic sustainable destination.

gvilleapp
November 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
On the Packman radio show earlier this evening, UNCC AD Judy Rose said that she would not be interested in the Big South or SoCon because both leagues would not enhance her school's basketball programs and she doubted either league would take them as a football only member.

She implied that she hoped something could be worked out with the CAA for football membership with eventual membership in the Big East and/or Conference USA.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
On the Packman radio show earlier this evening, UNCC AD Judy Rose said that she would not be interested in the Big South or SoCon because both leagues would not enhance her school's basketball programs and she doubted either league would take them as a football only member.

xoopsx xoopsx

DX Man
November 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Why?

I agree. It's all about TV market in this day and time.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I agree. It's all about TV market in this day and time.

I agree, if UNC-Charlotte does this right they will be fast-tracked into the Big East (post bball-only exodus of course).

Any FBS dreams App State has might lose out in this scenario, but ECU would be the biggest loser. Years of growing their program in Greenville, and the Big East would skip them for UNC Charlotte in a second.

But I don't think UNCC will do this right. So who knows? Maybe some sort of non-BCS east coast FBS conference can be cobbled together w/ App, UNCC, and ECU?

Seawolf97
November 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
They may not stay long. I thought their goal is to get to the FBS level rather quickly. Could be wrong .

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Dude get over it, did you go to uncc? The original poster made some good points about the economy. And you are crazy if you think b of a is doing great, I live in Charlotte and there reputation around here is sinking quickly.

Hey Noobie-- All i see is ASU fans saying this wont happen. You sound a lot like Sox fans. Listen guy, the AD just announced what she wanted and I have numerous sources in the Big East-- the football schools want, eventually UCF, Memphis, and Charlotte. USF is saying no to UCF...so if the break up happens, you can bet the latter two are in.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2008, 10:22 PM

She implied that she hoped something could be worked out with the CAA for football membership with eventual membership in the Big East and/or Conference USA.

I almost choked after reading this.

She doesn't want to be part of the SoCon - home of Davidson, one missed shot from the Final Four?

She wants to shoehorn herself into a 14-team conference - and then say
to that conference, F-you, we're going to be FBS in a few years?

Judy needs to brush up on:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:l5IqgCquxR5ToM:http://dalecarnegie.wwwhubs.com/htwfaip.jpg

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM

She doesn't want to be part of the SoCon - home of Davidson, one missed shot from the Final Four?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:l5IqgCquxR5ToM:http://dalecarnegie.wwwhubs.com/htwfaip.jpg

She's right in her opinion. A10 also has teams playing football in the CAA. So it would be a smart move for the school. As for the SoCoN it is a perennial 1 bid conference in basketball. A10 is usually 3-5 and Charlotte basically dominates them in every other sport besides basketball right now. So staying in the A10 and using CAA for football only would be a smart move. Plus the 3 womens sports they are adding coincide with the Big East athletics.

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Ugh, I hate this crap. Please, no FCS league should take them. Make them pay double to have home games with any FCS team. If they want FBS so bad then get it on, FCS will kick your butt in the meantime before FBS kicks your butt.

Dane96
November 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Shhhh....you are making WAY too much sense. Dont let ASUTed know.

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Big East is in the BCS. xconfusedx

they have a championship game? since when?

Syntax Error
November 13th, 2008, 11:46 PM
they have a championship game? since when?All FBS is BCS, been such for a few years

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
All FBS is BCS, been such for a few years

Here I am thinking the BCS conferences were all ones that had Championship Games each year.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I think it was 2005 that all then I-A teams were deemed BC$. Just some had to hop other hurdles to get considered for the BC$ bowels, err bools, errrrrrrr.

mountaineer_dax
November 14th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I think it was 2005 that all then I-A teams were deemed BC$. Just some had to hop other hurdles to get considered for the BC$ bowels, err bools, errrrrrrr.

Hmm. I was under the impression that there were BCS conferences. Which were the conferences that the champions automatically received BCS invites. Which those conferences had championship games to determine which member was sent to participate in those games and the BCS system sent the two top teams determined by the computer system and the polls.

All other conferences outside of those elite conferences had to fight and claw to get into those bowl games. The smaller conferences that contain the Boise State, Ball State and so forth could only make BCS games if they were in the top 12 and only one from the non bcs competing schools made it in.

I'm pretty sure that is how i saw it working. I could be completely wrong in my thought process.

Yes i know the FCS and FBS designators. But there are conferences in FBS that aren't considered BCS qualifiers helping my assessment. Winners of the MAC, MWC, Sun Belt, WAC have to be in the top 12 to get "BCS" recognition or they aren't allowed to play in those games.

I hope you see where I am coming from here.

Syntax Error
November 14th, 2008, 02:04 AM
all FBS is BC$, that is fact

the trad six in BC$ still rule but there is no FBS-non-BC$

BC$ bowel qualifiers is another thing

Should this be moved to Other Sports?

I know I need to shower after talking about FB/BC $ ..... so dirty

Jackman
November 14th, 2008, 02:08 AM
She's right in her opinion. A10 also has teams playing football in the CAA. So it would be a smart move for the school. As for the SoCoN it is a perennial 1 bid conference in basketball. A10 is usually 3-5 and Charlotte basically dominates them in every other sport besides basketball right now. So staying in the A10 and using CAA for football only would be a smart move. Plus the 3 womens sports they are adding coincide with the Big East athletics.

The Charlies more than carry their weight in the olympic sports, especially considering their tiny budget, but they're not dominating anything except baseball and maybe women's soccer.

The CAA would be pretty stupid to let Charlotte use them as a stepping stone if the SoCon and Big South won't stoop to it. Their best situation would be if the CAA breaks up and the A10 resurrects football from the former CAA affiliates. Then Charlotte is in automatically, even if we know better.

813Jag
November 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM
You don't need a championship game to be BCS. BCS = ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Pac 10.

henfan
November 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Don't worry, the CAA will not be adding UNCC as a FB affiliate. Due to the exisiting size of its FB league conference and with the pending addition of 2 additional core members for FB, the CAA won't have room for a subdivision hopper. Adding UNCC FB would offer zero incentive to the CAA, unless they agreed to become a core league member. This is highly unlikely.

UNCC is USF and FIU all over again. I'd imagine they'd come into the FCS as an independent and play that way until they find a suitable all-sport conference affiliation. There are no shortage of regional FCS teams for them to schedule in the meantime.

DX Man
November 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
It is my understanding that the BCS is made up of the six power conferences and Notre Dame.

Dane96
November 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
That is 100% correct. Syntax is wrong.

There are 6 BCS bowl slots, Notre Dame is guaranteed one if they finish with X number of wins, and the last spot is guaranteed to the NON-BCS conference winner ranked 12 or higher I believe.

DSUrocks07
November 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Syntax is wrong.

xeekx

mainejeff
November 14th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Why?

Agreed. Charlotte is on a fast track directly into the Big East. xnodx

Tim James
November 15th, 2008, 04:29 AM
We dont want more southern schools in the Big East. You can have Charlotte but I'd rather have BC, Penn State, Temple, Army, Navy, Villanova, Georgetown or Notre Dame. I'd even take Buffalo over Charlotte. I dont like that the conference changed from its original identity which was a place for eastern independents. Kick out South Florida and Louisville and bring in Navy and Temple. That would never happen but if it did I'd be fine with it.

The Cats
November 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
49er football fever or what?

Last Thursday, UNC Charlotte's Board of Governors voted for the school to proceed with plans to start a football program in 2013.

Later that day, school athletic director Judy Rose commented further on what it all means for the 49ers moving forward on the syndicated Charlotte radio show "Prime Time with the Packman" on WFNZ-AM 610.

more.... http://www.gastongazette.com/news/conference_27147___article.html/stadium_school.html

Syntax Error
November 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Syntax is wrong...xrolleyesx

FACTS:

After the 2007 season, automatic qualification standards will be applied to all 11 Division I-A conferences to determine the number of conferences whose champion will automatically qualify for a BCS game for the next two seasons ('08 and '09). Each conference will be evaluated on each of the previous four seasons ('04, '05, '06, '07), based on membership during the '07 season. The champions of no fewer than five conferences and no more than seven conferences will have annual automatic berths in the BCS bowl games played following the 2008 and 2009 regular season.

The bowl games participating are the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, FedEx Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Allstate Sugar Bowl and the BCS National Championship Game which will be played each year at one of the bowl sites.

The BCS is managed by the commissioners of the 11 NCAA Division I-A conferences, the director of athletics at the University of Notre Dame, and representatives of the bowl organizations. The conferences are Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Pacific 10, Southeastern and Western Athletic.

The conference commissioners and the Notre Dame athletics director make decisions regarding all BCS issues, in consultation with an athletics directors advisory group and subject to the approval of a presidential oversight committee whose members represent all 117 Division 1-A programs.

xsmashx xspankx xasswhipx xanim_chaix xnonox xrulesx xlmaox

Dane96
November 16th, 2008, 12:48 AM
We dont want more southern schools in the Big East. You can have Charlotte but I'd rather have BC, Penn State, Temple, Army, Navy, Villanova, Georgetown or Notre Dame. I'd even take Buffalo over Charlotte. I dont like that the conference changed from its original identity which was a place for eastern independents. Kick out South Florida and Louisville and bring in Navy and Temple. That would never happen but if it did I'd be fine with it.

Really?

Dane96
November 16th, 2008, 01:01 AM
xrolleyesx

FACTS:

After the 2007 season, automatic qualification standards will be applied to all 11 Division I-A conferences to determine the number of conferences whose champion will automatically qualify for a BCS game for the next two seasons ('08 and '09). Each conference will be evaluated on each of the previous four seasons ('04, '05, '06, '07), based on membership during the '07 season. The champions of no fewer than five conferences and no more than seven conferences will have annual automatic berths in the BCS bowl games played following the 2008 and 2009 regular season.

The bowl games participating are the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, FedEx Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Allstate Sugar Bowl and the BCS National Championship Game which will be played each year at one of the bowl sites.

The BCS is managed by the commissioners of the 11 NCAA Division I-A conferences, the director of athletics at the University of Notre Dame, and representatives of the bowl organizations. The conferences are Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Pacific 10, Southeastern and Western Athletic.

The conference commissioners and the Notre Dame athletics director make decisions regarding all BCS issues, in consultation with an athletics directors advisory group and subject to the approval of a presidential oversight committee whose members represent all 117 Division 1-A programs.

xsmashx xspankx xasswhipx xanim_chaix xnonox xrulesx xlmaox

Ummmm....no. You are doing it again. Are all schools BCS-- by the terms of the settlment/negotiation with the NON-BCS schools this changed to include all schools under the BCS moniker. So yes, you WOULD BE CORRECT. However, in reality...it was a simple name change that was hollow.

Look at the language of the proposed lawsuit...then look at the settlement. Small words were changed to say, for instance: "ALL CONFERENCES ARE ELIGIBLE", "ADMINSTERED BY" (refecting all conferences buck up and pay part of the fees", and "REGIONAL CONSIDERATIONS...ALLOW FOR."

What happened? The 6 major conferences were GUARANTEED A SPOT IN THE BCS. The other BCS participants are chosen from "...all other Division I-A teams that have won at least nine games and are ranked among the Top 14 in the final BCS standings.

So...and maybe I didnt make myself clear because I wasn't trying to play the game you LOVE to play which looks at face value only, the 6 BCS Conferences that are MAJOR conferences are guaranteed a spot in the big daddy bowls...and only if a NON-MAJOR conference team hits 9 wins AND gets a Top 14 ranking...will they be included.

That...is not a regular occurrance. THE WORDING WAS SPECIFICALLY WORKED OUT TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE INCLUSION...WHEN AT THE SAME TIME GUARANTEEING THE MAJORITY OF SPOTS TO THE ORIGINAL BCS TEAMS...and...FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT...MAKING IT LOOK LIKE THE OTHER CONFERENCES ARE BCS.

But, as usual, you PARSE WORDS TO GET YOUR WAY. You used the same ridiculous argument when you said that the NEC, PFL, and MAAC were ALL ELIGIBLE FOR THE FIELD OF 16. We were all FCS...but had a RIDICULOUS path into the FCS playoffs...though techinically we could be included.

Eligible yes...but likely to get in under the system...NO. Most important, those leagues came under different guidelines as of the power conference.

Take your spankings, saws...and everything else...and go study the proposed lawsuit with the BCS.

Dane96
November 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
And unlike you...I provide direct source quotes. From the BCS:

"Automatic qualification

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will play in the national championship game.
2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern Conferences automatically qualify for BCS games each year.
3. One team from among the champions of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference automatically qualify for a BCS game if either: A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or, B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.
4. Notre Dame will automatically qualify for a BCS bowl if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.
5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team shall become an automatic qualifier.
6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if Step No. 5 has not been applied and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team shall become an automatic qualifier.
7. If any slots remain unfilled after the placement of all teams qualifying for an automatic berth, then the bowls shall choose their participants from the "pool of eligible teams" (see below.)

Pool of Eligible Teams

If berths are available after the automatic qualifiers have been identified, then the bowls shall select at-large participants from the "pool of eligible teams," which shall include any Division I-A team that is bowl-eligible and meets the following requirements:

A. Has won at least nine regular-season games, not including exempted games, and
B. Is among the top 14 teams in the final BCS Standings"

mountaineer_dax
January 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
It's been a while since I've updated you guys on the 49ers agenda on football.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/500912.html

They just released how they will be selling the seat licenses.

mainejeff
January 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
A 15,000 seat on-campus stadium? Hmmmm......I'm smelling a CAA invite along with Albany which would make for a 16 team CAA........that should really work up the crowd on this site xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx.

CAA North

Maine
UNH
Northeastern
UMass
URI
Albany*
Hofstra
Villanova

CAA South

Delaware
Towson
James Madison
Richmond
William & Mary
Old Dominion
Charlotte*
Georgia State

GannonFan
January 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
A 15,000 seat on-campus stadium? Hmmmm......I'm smelling a CAA invite along with Albany which would make for a 16 team CAA........that should really work up the crowd on this site xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx.

CAA North

Maine
UNH
Northeastern
UMass
URI
Albany*
Hofstra
Villanova

CAA South

Delaware
Towson
James Madison
Richmond
William & Mary
Old Dominion
Charlotte*
Georgia State

That wouldn't be shocking in the least, to be honest. And if some schools in the CAA truly did harbor intentions, years in the future, to eventually move up to FBS level, Charlotte would be a school I wouldn't be surprised that would move with them. I never thought Charlotte was going to be a longtime FCS participant (Georgia St fans feel the same way about their yet-to-play program) so the CAA could be a temporary stop. Although you wonder if that 15k seat stadium is going to be easily expandable.

jmufan999
January 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM

ask Richmond fans how having a stadium away from campus works out for home attendance.

the answer? not well.

ASUG8
January 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Interesting to read how back in November BofA was "doing well" and were gonna pony up the cash for a sponsorship. My how things have changed in 2 months. :(

Touchdown Yosef
January 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I would just love for Appalachian to open their new stadium although the demand for the game would FAR exceed the limits of memorial stadium...

ASUG8
January 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I would just love for Appalachian to open their new stadium although the demand for the game would FAR exceed the limits of memorial stadium...

...otherwise known as Kidd Brewer Southeast. They probably wouldn't even play us, and it would be a good decision on their part. xnodx

Touchdown Yosef
January 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
...otherwise known as Kidd Brewer Southeast. They probably wouldn't even play us, and it would be a good decision on their part. xnodx

Very true but it would be great for us in recruiting and perception. You never know though we may be able to work something out and start an instant rivalry that is already there in basketball.

Ideally I would love to see that as the first game and played in Panther Stadium. For their first game and the buzz around it 50k would not be that hard to see with the App fan base in Charlotte.

ASUG8
January 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Very true but it would be great for us in recruiting and perception. You never know though we may be able to work something out and start an instant rivalry that is already there in basketball.

Ideally I would love to see that as the first game and played in Panther Stadium. For their first game and the buzz around it 50k would not be that hard to see with the App fan base in Charlotte.

It would be cool - Charlotte and the Triad have a huge alumni base, plus it's only 2 hours from Boone and the Triangle (and here!). It wouldn't exactly be an NC State/ECU sized crowd, but it would be very respectable.

49RFootballNow
June 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.jenkinspeer.com/UNCCFootball.htm

New stadium renderings at:

15.000 seats

40,000 seats

Our stadium finance fee request passed the State House today as part of the state yearly budget, so once BevGov signs it the physical work can begin. We should break ground on the Football Center in the Spring and hopefully a more interactive and detailed rendering will be online for review soon. It's an exciting time for 49er fans.

thefortyniner
June 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM

And I almost choked after reading this:

Home of a now cold flash-in-the-pan, and absolutely nothing else? We are not going to move from the strongest non-big six basketball conference in the NCAA to a joke of a basketball conference like the SoCon.

Sure, The Fighting Stephen Currys had a nice run, but their time has come and gone and was shorter than Gary Coleman's vertical. Why would we leave Temple, Dayton, Xavier, and Richmond to come hang out with College of Charleston, Chattanooga, and Wofford?

I'd rather run in the top half of the big dogs than dominate the short bus.

No, she wants to try to make something work with the CAA, where most of our current football-playing conference mates currently are. She never said anything about 'a few years'. The goal, yes, is FBS football. She hasn't put any time frame on it... all of that is coming from alumni and students who want to be FBS as soon as possible.

Well, to be honest... I can't think of a single SoCon school that I'd want to be friends with, anyway.

And now, back to catching up on this magnificent thread!

ThompsonThe
July 1st, 2010, 12:23 AM
Must be slow in Pickass land to bump an almost 18 month old thread.

49RFootballNow
July 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM
I didn't figure this needed a new thread, considering that there were already 5 on the same topic.

Aho_Old_Guy
July 1st, 2010, 07:26 AM
And I almost choked after reading this:

Home of a now cold flash-in-the-pan, and absolutely nothing else? We are not going to move from the strongest non-big six basketball conference in the NCAA to a joke of a basketball conference like the SoCon.

Well, to be honest... I can't think of a single SoCon school that I'd want to be friends with, anyway.

And now, back to catching up on this magnificent thread!

Back at yah, chump.

Oh ... by-the-way

Wed, Nov 19, 2008

Appalachian State 87
UNCC 84

I suspect our football team would hang 87 points on you, too.

thefortyniner
July 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I was there.

You guys played a ****ed great game. Too bad nobody really cares.

Just as many Niners that made the trip as there were Appie students... remember that? Yeah, I remember hearing an alum bristling with amazement at the fact that the student section had students in it!

"I can't remember the last time I saw this many people here" or something like that. I remember hearing that, looking around and thinking "really?"

I mean, sure... it's easy to pull up the score to talk some smack, but to act like your basketball team gets the respect it deserves is laughable.

You guys have a decent team, a very nice arena... and some high-quality tarps covering almost half of it. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I mean, yeah, you guys took that game, and it was heartbreaking to see it. But if you really think App State... or the SoCon, for that matter... is worth half a **** in the world of college basketball...

...well, let's put it this way: UNC Wilmington was a step up from Boone.

edit: You can't say d*** on here? Really?

49RFootballNow
July 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM
See guys! It's all about making new friends.xnodx

thefortyniner
July 1st, 2010, 09:04 AM
See guys! It's all about making new friends.xnodx

We never scheduled that ATM meeting from about a month ago... :)

_________

Seriously guys, please don't take me seriously. I stopped in, read this thread, and have seen a good bit of Charlotte bashing from the Appies 'round here. Just tossing it back their way, and having some fun.

Yes, Old_Guy, you guys would easily hang 87 pts on our defense. It's non-existent. (¿rimshot?)

I have friends that go to App, I enjoy visiting Boone, and believe it or not have a good bit of respect for the program you guys have built. You're not Davidson or anything...

49RFootballNow
July 1st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Now you know these App folks don't know anything about ATM's. HAHA! Goodtimes

thefortyniner
July 1st, 2010, 09:17 AM

Once the power grid reaches Boone, they'll learn quickly.

I love technology!

(see, there I go again.)

Saint3333
July 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Actually UNCW played App last year, guess who won. Buzz will not win 10 games next year.

Certainly ASU has not accomplished anything of note in basketball, but to hear UNCC fans crow about their accomplishments is a little hard to swallow. UNCC hasn't made the sweet sixteen since 1977. How can you dog Davidson for their run. If you were to bring up the 1977 run I assume DC's elite 8 runs in the 60's count as well. Both teams have made the tournament four times since 2000. Historically I'd say DC has accomplished more.

Let's be honest to the average basketball fan UNCC isn't really relevant, take off the green glasses.

Good luck with finally hitting your 6 month football goal 2 years later.

AppAlum2003
July 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM

Didn't realize you 'Niners fans went ***-to-mouth with each other.

49RFootballNow
July 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Didn't realize you 'Niners fans went ***-to-mouth with each other.

You wouldn't say that to any Niner fan at an ATM.

Don't you have a classroom full of juvenile delinquents you need to try to teach something to?

Saint3333
July 1st, 2010, 01:41 PM
You do realize that ASU has consisently had higher admission standards than UNCC:

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/offtherecord/archives/2007/10/im_going_to_dis.shtml

http://www.campuscorner.com/north-carolina-colleges/university-of-north-carolina-at-charlotte.htm

http://www.campuscorner.com/north-carolina-colleges/appalachian-state-university.htm

49RFootballNow
July 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
That's great for you guys. I'm so happy for App St. And there's no way in the world that only being able to take 17,000 students could help that admissions standard figure out, so no worry there. Or the fact that the "city" of Boone complains every time App wants to expand their infrastructure. App can be more selective because the physical restraints of the campus puts that demand on the University. It's both good and bad for App. If you had the ability to freely expand you'd be the same size as UNC Charlotte and East Carolina, you'd have the extra student fees the extra students bring; but your admissions standards would be identical to ours, because outside of the Mothership the UNC System Academic standards are identical as long as there's space. In this budget crunch even Charlotte is turning away 1 out of every 3 applicants.

Saint3333
July 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Whatever makes to sleep better at night. I wasn't the one bashing another school academically, just thought I'd correct your assumption that UNCC was a better school academically than ASU.

Surely you don't suggest that ASU in beautiful rural NC could attract as many students as a school in concord or greenville NC.

49RFootballNow
July 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Now see, we didn't have to have an Academics Smackdown but you took it there so...............

I'll see your University's Masters programs and raise you 18 DOCTORIAL DEGREES.

I'll see your College of Music and raise you by a DOCTORATE of Engineering from our Engineering School.

We can also discuss our top 5 nationally ranked Architechture College if you like? Or the fact that we're the national leader in patents granted by the US Patent Agency. Or that we're the only Institution outside of NIST itself that is certified to produce measurements in the picometer range.

I've got more if you'd like to continue.

biggie
July 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM
At least we found some fans that will allow most of the annoying Elon fans of last year to quickly disappear from our minds.

appmaj
July 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
That's great for you guys. I'm so happy for App St. And there's no way in the world that only being able to take 17,000 students could help that admissions standard figure out, so no worry there. Or the fact that the "city" of Boone complains every time App wants to expand their infrastructure. App can be more selective because the physical restraints of the campus puts that demand on the University. It's both good and bad for App. If you had the ability to freely expand you'd be the same size as UNC Charlotte and East Carolina, you'd have the extra student fees the extra students bring; but your admissions standards would be identical to ours, because outside of the Mothership the UNC System Academic standards are identical as long as there's space. In this budget crunch even Charlotte is turning away 1 out of every 3 applicants.

Town of Boone

thefortyniner
July 1st, 2010, 11:36 PM
Actually UNCW played App last year, guess who won. Buzz will not win 10 games next year.

Of course he won't. IMO, it was a lateral move at best. But coaches don't make lateral moves... in his mind, it was a step up. Maybe he'd rather see coeds in swimwear than cardigans... my only other guess.

Certainly ASU has not accomplished anything of note in basketball, but to hear UNCC fans crow about their accomplishments is a little hard to swallow. UNCC hasn't made the sweet sixteen since 1977. How can you dog Davidson for their run. If you were to bring up the 1977 run I assume DC's elite 8 runs in the 60's count as well. Both teams have made the tournament four times since 2000. Historically I'd say DC has accomplished more.

Blah blah yada yada this and that and 26-10. All that needs to be said here.

Yes, that was a great run. What made it even better is that it came on the shoulders of a player whom, no matter how much I loathe and despise his university and team, I couldn't bring myself to dislike. But really, one run of success surrounded by years and years and years of mediocrity... to say that they have had more success is laughable. How many tourney appearances has Davidson had? And by that, I mean how many SoCon titles has Davidson won? We all know that is the only way to get in from the SoCon...

Let's be honest to the average basketball fan UNCC isn't really relevant, take off the green glasses.

I mean, if you really want to go there... to the average football fan not a single school whose fans are represented on this website are really relevant...

Good luck with finally hitting your 6 month football goal 2 years later.

Hell, I don't even know what that means... you mean actually getting everything through the legislature?

Oh, you're talking about FSLs that we had hoped to sell for a program that (regardless of what is going on behind the scenes) doesn't really exist yet? Yeah, thanks! We're well on our way, friend!

On a side note, I'm loving these Charlotte - App pissing matches... I really wish we could take care of it on the court. (and field, eventually) We can meet up at the Library afterwards and continue over a tower.

Seriously, that place is awesome.

ThompsonThe
July 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
I loved the post on another board that wondered how a community college named uncc would have a football team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 1st, 2010, 11:48 PM
Much like St. Louis i'm not sure that Charlotte has a long term future in the A10. I can see the conference going through a transition over the next couple years and i wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers somewhere else.

Saint3333
July 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Of course he won't. IMO, it was a lateral move at best. But coaches don't make lateral moves... in his mind, it was a step up. Maybe he'd rather see coeds in swimwear than cardigans... my only other guess.

Blah blah yada yada this and that and 26-10. All that needs to be said here.

Yes, that was a great run. What made it even better is that it came on the shoulders of a player whom, no matter how much I loathe and despise his university and team, I couldn't bring myself to dislike. But really, one run of success surrounded by years and years and years of mediocrity... to say that they have had more success is laughable. How many tourney appearances has Davidson had? And by that, I mean how many SoCon titles has Davidson won? We all know that is the only way to get in from the SoCon...

I mean, if you really want to go there... to the average football fan not a single school whose fans are represented on this website are really relevant...

Hell, I don't even know what that means... you mean actually getting everything through the legislature?

Oh, you're talking about FSLs that we had hoped to sell for a program that (regardless of what is going on behind the scenes) doesn't really exist yet? Yeah, thanks! We're well on our way, friend!

On a side note, I'm loving these Charlotte - App pissing matches... I really wish we could take care of it on the court. (and field, eventually) We can meet up at the Library afterwards and continue over a tower.

Seriously, that place is awesome.

Yeah it's all in good fun, I too wish ASU and UNCC would play each other each year in basketball it would likely be a good match up next year. The 6 month goal line, comes from the original 6 month goal set by UNCC for "PSLs", which still aren't filled (but I think you guys are close based on the last number I saw). Most of it was due to bad timing from an economic standpoint.

49RFootballNow
July 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Asking folks to pony up $1000 to $2500 per FSL for something that doesn't exist requires your potential buyers to have a lot of faith in you. Our Chancellor wasn't thrilled this football push happened as soon as it did. He basically wanted to put next to zero effort into it and put it all on the backs of potential fans. If I wasn't emotionally involved in this movement and purchased my FSLs as a simple investment, then given the lack of committment from him I would have probably not purchased them. He was getting a lot of advice from the local pro sports business community. They steered him toward the FSL concept, which works great with NFL teams but I don't think any college team (certainly none below BCS) have tried it; especially not with a startup program. I think, when you factor in the economy and the lack of "enthusiasm" from the Chancellor's Office, selling the 3200 FSLs we did in the 6 month window was pretty good. I have heard from various sources that no one in our Athletic Department liked the FSL concept. Most in the AD perfered something similar to ODU where you paid around $500.

The Chancellor has since warmed up to football, now that its happening so he can get his share of credit. Had he listened to the COLLEGE athletics folks that offered advice, and had he shown the level of enthusiasm he shows now from the beginning of the entire process, perhaps we'd have sold those first 5000 FSLs in that 6 month window. We have sold 3800 FSLs as of last week, and we expect sales to increase as the stadium takes shape and people have something tangible to focus on. We can now begin to finance a proper media campaign and hopefully once we get a face for this program this winter things will start to snowball.

Perhaps 20 years from now Dubois's lukewarm approach and political shell game tactics will be the blueprint for building startup college football programs. Considering we had a successful blueprint handed to us already (USF Model) I think we could have skipped a lot of the BS.

Aho_Old_Guy
July 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
At least we found some fans that will allow most of the annoying Elon fans of last year to quickly disappear from our minds.

Nope. But they're getting there. Let's just start hating them, now.

Once the power grid reaches Boone, they'll learn quickly.

I love technology!

(see, there I go again.)

Yup. Just got mah indoor plumbing and 'lectricity.

Got mah fiber-to-the-premise 2 years ago. I'm five miles above King Street. How's that looking for yah in Car-lotte, in the next 30 years? How's that TWC fiber net workin' for yah in the Big City?

Let me see if I got this right .... you have Time Warner Cable's name on a basketball arena (that cost $250 million after tearing down a perfectly good 24k-seat arena that sold for $23 million after costing you $120 million), but you can't get Time Warner fiber at your house?

edit: Oh. TWC sucks. Skybest, baby :)

thefortyniner
July 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Nope. But they're getting there. Let's just start hating them, now.

Yup. Just got mah indoor plumbing and 'lectricity.

Got mah fiber-to-the-premise 2 years ago. I'm five miles above King Street. How's that looking for yah in Car-lotte, in the next 30 years? How's that TWC fiber net workin' for yah in the Big City?

Let me see if I got this right .... you have Time Warner Cable's name on a basketball arena (that cost $250 million after tearing down a perfectly good 24k-seat arena that sold for $23 million after costing you $120 million), but you can't get Time Warner fiber at your house?

edit: Oh. TWC sucks. Skybest, baby :)

wait... your response is to steer this thread to a debate about cable providers?

Well, that won't be much of a debate. TWC is horrible.

Eaglesrus
July 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Wow, change the school names and this thread is almost interchangeble with the back-and-forth in a thread on GSUfans.com between GA Southern and GA State fans! Well, one difference is that GA State is actually supposed to field a team this season. Anyway, please continue......

49RFootballNow
July 11th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Update:

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12781036

bjtheflamesfan
July 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I hope this happens...I am actually hoping to get in contact with WFNZ about working with them for football broadcasts (I would have no problem doing HS games in the interim because I do HS broadcasting right now)

49RFootballNow
July 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't you want to work for a radio station that has more than 1 hamster powering their transmitter?

phoenixphanatic21
July 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't you want to work for a radio station that has more than 1 hamster powering their transmitter?

In this economy, you gotta take whatever you can get.

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I hope this happens...I am actually hoping to get in contact with WFNZ about working with them for football broadcasts (I would have no problem doing HS games in the interim because I do HS broadcasting right now)

I'm not sure that Charlotte would be a step up from Lynchburg.

bjtheflamesfan
July 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I'll take whatever I can get at this point, if there are any other sports stations (or radio stations in general) worth looking into in town I'll go wherever. Im hoping to get to work with the school in regards to getting UNCC football on the radio when it starts in 2013.

Also according to News Generation's list of top 100 radio markets, Charlotte is #24...Lynchburg is #67...I think that would be what Id call a step up

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I'll take whatever I can get at this point, if there are any other sports stations (or radio stations in general) worth looking into in town I'll go wherever. Im hoping to get to work with the school in regards to getting UNCC football on the radio when it starts in 2013.

Also according to News Generation's list of top 100 radio markets, Charlotte is #24...Lynchburg is #67...I think that would be what Id call a step up

I really wasn't talking about market size, I was talking about quality of life.

phoenixphanatic21
July 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I really wasn't talking about market size, I was talking about quality of life.

Really? You think Charlotte is worse than Lynchburg?

bjtheflamesfan
July 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
SS, if youve ever been to Lynchburg I think youd agree that just about anything would be considered a step up in quality of life

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Really? You think Charlotte is worse than Lynchburg?

IMHO Charlotte SUCKS as a place to live or visit. Just my opinion.

bjtheflamesfan
July 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM
do you have any recommendations SS? I am hoping to get in on the ground floor with UNCC which is why that potential opportunity is a possibility for me

AppAlum2003
July 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I haven't been to Lynchburg, but from someone that has lived in Chicago and Atlanta, I can tell you that Charlotte completely sucks (IMO of course.) It's not a major city - it's a bunch of medium size towns that think they are the cornerstone of the South.

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
do you have any recommendations SS? I am hoping to get in on the ground floor with UNCC which is why that potential opportunity is a possibility for me

Harrisonburg, Va., Raleigh, N.C., Chattanooga, Tenn., Charleston, S.C., Las Vegas.

bjtheflamesfan
July 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendations SS...are there any new or up and coming football programs that I could potentially get a chance to do radio with? (nothing against all those places they just have established football radio presences from what I can tell)

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the recommendations SS...are there any new or up and coming football programs that I could potentially get a chance to do radio with? (nothing against all those places they just have established football radio presences from what I can tell)

I doubt it.

bjtheflamesfan
July 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
fair enough...I am not trying to be picky just curious because I like the idea of getting in on the ground floor with something that is developing

phoenixphanatic21
July 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM
IMHO Charlotte SUCKS as a place to live or visit. Just my opinion.

Hmm...well I live in Charlotte and I love it here. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though.

SideLine Shooter
July 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Hmm...well I live in Charlotte and I love it here. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though.

If you had bothered to read my statement I said "IMHO". By that I mean that it is MY opinion and certainly not everyones opinion. I'm glad you love Charlotte. I hate stoplights and Charlotte has a couple of those.

phoenixphanatic21
July 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
If you had bothered to read my statement I said "IMHO". By that I mean that it is MY opinion and certainly not everyones opinion. I'm glad you love Charlotte. I hate stoplights and Charlotte has a couple of those.

That's why I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including you. I meant that I understand that not everyone (such as you) would like Charlotte. I know that not everyone hates Charlotte.

And I do agree that some of the stoplights in Charlotte suck. A LOT.

Hooner49
July 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
NC General Assembly passed a bill to allow Charlotte to borrow money for stadium construction. Pending Governor Perdue's signature, this thing's a wrap. AD Judy Rose says the 2013 schedule could come out before the head coach is hired. So expect a schedule in the next 6-8 months.

Charlotte Disturber link (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/17/1567724/49ers-football-program-needs-only.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwxq=593296#none)

WileECoyote06
July 18th, 2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/16/1567029/unc-charlotte-raising-tuition.html

Charlotte tuition and fees will go up by a whopping $708 for the fall semester. This is due to the UNC approved $425 tuition hike, the $120 Stadium Debt Reduction fee, along with other fees.

Ouch xoopsx xwhistlex

Saint3333
July 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'd agree that parts of Charlotte aren't very nice including the north side (unless you're on Lake Norman), but the east and south sides inside 485 are great places to live with not a bad commute.

wr70beh
July 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/16/1567029/unc-charlotte-raising-tuition.html

Charlotte tuition and fees will go up by a whopping $708 for the fall semester. This is due to the UNC approved $425 tuition hike, the $120 Stadium Debt Reduction fee, along with other fees.

Ouch xoopsx xwhistlex

Is that par for the course or is that a steep number? It seems steep to me.

I can imagine that any of the big "commuter schools" in Virginia would have a similar SAF hike if they started football. I know some of those schools just jacked up tuition to cover a shortfall in state support. Any more might be a bit much.

49RFootballNow
July 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Is that par for the course or is that a steep number? It seems steep to me.

I can imagine that any of the big "commuter schools" in Virginia would have a similar SAF hike if they started football. I know some of those schools just jacked up tuition to cover a shortfall in state support. Any more might be a bit much.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/16/1567050/chart-rising-cost-of-a-college.html

The stadium fee is only $120 dollars of this increase. The $425 is compensation for budget cuts.

Here's most everybody:

moss2k
July 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Charlotte, IIRC, is having the 3rd lowest increase in tuition. This includes the fees for football.

holycrossC
July 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I just saw the ad for bids for the new stadium.

Hooner49
August 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Gov. Bev Perdue signed the bill today. It's official!

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204966404&DB_OEM_ID=23200

49RFootballNow
August 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
It IS official! YES!!!!

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/9/0/7/3/965241.jpg

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/9/0/7/3/965605.jpg

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/02/1598372/charlotte-49ers-football-its-officially.html

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2010/08/49ers-football-its-officially-go.html

panama
August 2nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Wow, amazing! What will be its capacity and will it be expandable in the future.

49RFootballNow
August 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
15,000 (all seats as of last word) initial but the design is being done out to 40,000.

http://www.jenkinspeer.com/UNCCFootball.htm

panama
August 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
Awesome. Hopefully we play you in 2013 or 2014

49RFootballNow
August 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
Insiders are saying that we have enough offers on enough dates to put together 2 full seasons of FCS Independent already with some offers as far out as 2018. Our AD even said the first year schedule may be ready in a few months even before we hire the HC.

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
One of several national media "appearances" for the Charlotte program! Good news, good news...

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte has cleared its final hurdle to start a football program in 2013.

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue has signed a capital projects bill this week that includes funding for the 49ers' stadium construction. It was the last ceremonial move needed to start a team at the Football Championship Subdivision level.

Chancellor Philip Dubois first recommended football in 2008 and the board of trustees approved the move. The school has since been scrambling to raise $23 million to build a 15,000-seat on-campus stadium.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13698564/charlotte-clears-final-hurdle-for-program-in-2013

Mr. Bojangles
August 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Awesome. Hopefully we play you in 2013 or 2014

I would love to expand on the so called 'I-85 Rivalry' that the Panthers and Falcon have.

49RFootballNow
August 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12919040

http://www.wcnc.com/video?id=100481324&sec=552547
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feels good!

49RFootballNow
August 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Speeches from the Celebration:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/club/std/ViewCategory.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=23200

bjtheflamesfan
August 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Any idea who does radio for the 49ers right now? I am not totally sure who to get in touch with down there as an up and coming broadcaster looking to get in on the ground floor with this before the team launches

49RFootballNow
August 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Signature Sports runs the media rights. WFNZ is our radio broadcast partner.

Hooner49
August 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Just released our first series. We'll play at Morehead State in 2013 and at home in 2014.

49ers will face Morehead State in football (http://gmine.blogspot.com/2010/08/49ers-will-face-morehead-state-in.html)

MoreheadEagle
August 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Good to see the Niners are going to be playing my alma mater. It's an example of an up and coming program that's on the rise facing off against a declining program that is stuck in PFL purgatory.

49RFootballNow
August 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Good to see the Niners are going to be playing my alma mater. It's an example of an up and coming program that's on the rise facing off against a declining program that is stuck in PFL purgatory.

Wow! That bad huh?

At Morehead State in 2013 and a return to Charlotte in 2014. Both years will be final week spots so its good to lock those difficult to find late season games down.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/tom_talks/2010/08/the-49ers-are-kentucky-bound-and-so-am-i.html

MoreheadEagle
August 27th, 2010, 09:07 AM
It's not bad. Here's my take.
Morehead has had football since the 1920's and had some great rivalries. Sure we were never very good but that could have changed. Now we're the only state school playing non-scholarship football in a non-qualifier league against teams no one cares about (Dayton, Butler, etc.). Not that there not good teams/schools, they're not our traditional rivals.

To cap it off this season we play Georgia State (which is just starting from scratch), Campbell (new program that might go Big South), and in 2013 Charlotte (same story as GSU). It's hard to get enthusiastic about that when the admin seems content with the PFL.

49RFootballNow
August 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Sounds to me that the fans, students and alumni need to organize and start hammering the administration with a unified voice. That's how we got football at Charlotte. We organized together and started lobbying. Moving to scholarship FCS football would be a good start.

Sly Fox
August 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
To day the differences between MSU & Charlotte are night & day would be stating the obvious.

I am curious if the reported discussions of the Big South possibly inviting Kennesaw State as an affiliate member show that Kommissioner Kyle has changed his stance on the 49ers.

49RFootballNow
August 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
To day the differences between MSU & Charlotte are night & day would be stating the obvious.

I am curious if the reported discussions of the Big South possibly inviting Kennesaw State as an affiliate member show that Kommissioner Kyle has changed his stance on the 49ers.

I don't think he has a problem with affiliate members, but we'd clearly be a transitory member. Even if we stay FCS for a while I'm sure given our size, market and current conference affiliations with CAA football members would result in a membership offer from them. The CAA's only real issue with us now is how long we'll we stay FCS.

Hooner49
September 22nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
We scheduled our inaugural home opener today. The Niners will host Campbell Aug. 31, 2013 and return a visit to Campbell Sept. 20 of the following year.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204998729&DB_OEM_ID=23200

Hooner49
October 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM
We scheduled another opponent for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. The Niners will play at Charleston Southern Oct. 26, 2013 and host the Buccaneers the following season on Sept. 27.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205007941&DB_OEM_ID=23200

2013 SCHEDULE:

Aug. 31, 2013 - CAMPBELL
Oct. 26, 2013 - at Charleston Southern
Nov. 23, 2013 - at Morehead State

2014 SCHEDULE:

Sept. 20, 2014 - at Campbell
Sept. 27, 2014 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN
Nov. 22, 2014 - MOREHEAD STATE

49RFootballNow
November 5th, 2010, 04:26 PM
CCU's AD on the 49ers and the Big South:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/11/05/1794253/big-south-schools-wooing-unc-charlotte.html

Current 2013/14 scheduled games:

Aug. 31, Campbell.
Sept. 21, at Old Dominion
Oct. 5, Gardner-Webb
Oct. 26, at Charleston Southern
Nov. 2, at Coastal Carolina
Nov. 23, at Morehead State

Sept. 6, Old Dominion
Sept. 20, at Campbell
Sept. 27, Charleston Southern
Oct. 4, at Gardner-Webb
Nov. 8, Coastal Carolina
Nov. 22, Morehead State

dirty bird
November 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Is there any word on coaching candidates?
I haven't kept up much with Charlotte's new program.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM
CCU's AD on the 49ers and the Big South:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/11/05/1794253/big-south-schools-wooing-unc-charlotte.html

Current 2013/14 scheduled games:

Aug. 31, Campbell.
Sept. 21, at Old Dominion
Oct. 5, Gardner-Webb
Oct. 26, at Charleston Southern
Nov. 2, at Coastal Carolina
Nov. 23, at Morehead State

Sept. 6, Old Dominion
Sept. 20, at Campbell
Sept. 27, Charleston Southern
Oct. 4, at Gardner-Webb
Nov. 8, Coastal Carolina
Nov. 22, Morehead State

Kind of surprised Georgia State isn't on there yet. I wonder what's up. Granted we'll be in the CAA by then. So maybe it hasn't happened yet 'cause we don't know our conference schedule? Then again ODU is on the schedule? Hmmm.

49RFootballNow
November 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Is there any word on coaching candidates?
I haven't kept up much with Charlotte's new program.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/08/1748922/charlotte-49ers-football-potential.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/08/1748860/charlotte-football-coach-search.html

Mike Minter, former Carolina Panther, has publically lobbied for the job but his 2 years of private high school coaching success doesn't impress most of the fans.

Kind of surprised Georgia State isn't on there yet. I wonder what's up. Granted we'll be in the CAA by then. So maybe it hasn't happened yet 'cause we don't know our conference schedule? Then again ODU is on the schedule? Hmmm.

A delegation lead by our AD will be guests at ODU and getting the behind the scenes tour this weekend.

DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2010, 06:11 PM
What, a game with Campbell but no game with Davidson? (Apologies if I missed this in the previous 19 pages.)

49RFootballNow
November 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
What, a game with Campbell but no game with Davidson?

From what we've been told, Davidson has a full schedule in 2013; plus do they really need us to beat their asses in another sport?

moss2k
January 7th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Charlotte has officially started looking for a coach. AD, Judy Rose stated today on local radio that she would like to have a coach within 30 days and soon there after hire 3 assistants to get started recruiting.

Hooner49
February 9th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Had a Football Forum today and released some good info. Rundown can be found here:
GreenTintedGlasses.net - Afternoon Townhall Meeting Wrap-Up: We Still Don’t Know What We Don’t Know (http://greentintedglasses.net/2011/02/afternoon-townhall-meeting-wrap-up-we-still-dont-know-what-we-dont-know/)

Added Virginia Tech as home opener in 2019.

We will stay in FCS for the foreseeable future.

Seawolf97
February 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Had a Football Forum today and released some good info. Rundown can be found here:
GreenTintedGlasses.net - Afternoon Townhall Meeting Wrap-Up: We Still Don’t Know What We Don’t Know (http://greentintedglasses.net/2011/02/afternoon-townhall-meeting-wrap-up-we-still-dont-know-what-we-dont-know/)

Added Virginia Tech as home opener in 2019.

We will stay in FCS for the foreseeable future.

Is that your home opener or VT's. You havent played a down and in 8 years have a home game against a BCS Team. Unless I read this all wrong that is ambitious .

49RFootballNow
February 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Is that your home opener or VT's. You havent played a down and in 8 years have a home game against a BCS Team. Unless I read this all wrong that is ambitious .

Aug. 31, 2019 at Va Tech.

Hooner49
February 28th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Announcing Head Coach tomorrow at noon.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205105714

Saint3333
February 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I've heard a defensive assistant at Wake, but there have been half a dozen rumors including Minter (no experience) and Chuck Amato (great recruiter, bad X and O head coach, much better as an assistant).

Hooner49
February 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Several reporters are starting to confirm that Wake Forest defensive coordinator Brad Lambert is the guy.

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/02/wakes-lambert-to-be-announced-as.html

Aho_Old_Guy
February 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
From what we've been told, Davidson has a full schedule in 2013; plus do they really need us to beat their asses in another sport?

Davidson Defeats Charlotte to Reclaim Hornets' Nest Trophy, 82-68 (http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/news/2010/12/11/MBB_1211101032.aspx)

Davidson Takes Hornet’s Nest Trophy from UNCC (http://www.wildcatspride.com/?p=1242)
Dec 11, 2010

... With one minute left in the first half, UNCC player Javarris Barnett picked up a tipped pass and brought it down the court for a one-handed dunk. It was his only field goal of the first half, but that didn’t stop Barnett, who took a second to point up to the small group of UNCC fans in attendance and flex.

Unfortunately for Barnett, during his victory lap, McKillop hit a three pointer on the other end of the court to retake the lead which would never be given up again...

91Niner
February 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
all-time Men's BasketBall series:

Charlotte - 26
Davidson - 10

Thanks for coming out.......

49RFootballNow
February 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
all-time Men's BasketBall series:

Charlotte - 26
Davidson - 10

Thanks for coming out.......

There's a reason I didn't reply when I saw this this morning. We SHOULD be ashamed when we lose to Davidson.

SoCon48
March 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM
There's a reason I didn't reply when I saw this this morning. We SHOULD be ashamed when we lose to Davidson.

Like you're outta their class? NOT!

Hooner49
November 30th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Update schedules:

2013 SCHEDULE:

Aug. 31, 2013 - CAMPBELL (H)

Sept. 7, 2013 - CHOWAN (H)

Sept. 14, 2013 - NC CENTRAL (H)

Sept. 21, 2013 - at Old Dominion (A)

Sept. 28, 2013 - at Presbyterian (A)

Oct. 5, 2013 - GARDNER WEBB (H)

Oct. 12, 2013 - UNC PEMBROKE (H)

Oct. 26, 2013 - at Charleston Southern (A)

Nov. 2, 2013 - at Coastal Carolina (A)

Nov. 9, 2013 - NORTH GREENVILLE (H)

Nov. 23, 2013 - at Morehead State (A)

2014 SCHEDULE:

Aug. 28, 2014 - at Campbell (A) - Thurs. night

Sept. 6, 2014 - JOHNSON C. SMITH (H)

Sept. 13, 2014 - at NC Central (A)

Sept. 20, 2014 - OLD DOMINION (H)

Sept. 27, 2014 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN (H)

Oct. 4, 2014 - at Gardner Webb (A)

Oct. 11, 2014 - at The Citadel (A)

Oct. 25, 2014 - GEORGIA SOUTHERN (H)

Nov. 1, 2014 - at Western Carolina (A)

Nov. 8, 2014 - COASTAL CAROLINA (H)

Nov. 15, 2014 - at Furman (A)

Nov. 22, 2014 - MOREHEAD STATE (H)

2015 SCHEDULE:

TBA - WESTERN CAROLINA (H)

Sept. 12, 2015 - PRESBYTERIAN (H)

Sept. 19, 2015 JOHNSON C. SMITH (H)

Sept. 26, 2015 - at Georgia Southern (A)

2016 SCHEDULE:

Sept. 10, 2016 at Richmond (A)

Nov. 5, 2016 FURMAN (H)

2017 SCHEDULE:

Sept. 9, 2017 RICHMOND (H)

2019 SCHEDULE:

TBA - at Virginia Tech (A)

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 08:39 PM
man I hope Wofford schedules UNCC

whitey
December 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM
I'd be surprised if JMU and UNCC don't schedule a few games. Mickey Matthews and Brad Lambert are good friends and both used to coach together at Georgia. I also think Lambert was up in Harrisonburg for a few days this past August during JMU's preseason practices.

49RFootballNow
December 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
I also think Lambert was up in Harrisonburg for a few days this past August during JMU's preseason practices.

He was up there. Basically wanted to get a look at how Mickey ran his practices. He also Spent some time with Larry Coker out in San Antonio.

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM
http://enterpriseblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/who-cares.jpg

49RFootballNow
December 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Great job stealing an image from yesterday. Maybe next time you can actually learn how to post it full size. They still have the 1 hour rule about using the public library computers?

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 10:57 AM
Great job stealing an image from yesterday. Maybe next time you can actually learn how to post it full size. They still have the 1 hour rule about using the public library computers?

It's a pretty common Meme. Maybe next time you'll build your stadium full size. That picture in your sig sure is cute. Is that Butler HS?

49RFootballNow
December 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM
It's a pretty common Meme. Maybe next time you'll build your stadium full size. That picture in your sig sure is cute. Is that Butler HS?

You've bored me. xcoffeex

91Niner
December 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM

Pretty funny that you continually make this kind of comment about our "little stadium" when KBS only actually has seats for about 7-8,000 more after a 50 year headstart and multiple "expansions" (15,300 vs. 22/23,000).

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Pretty funny that you continually make this kind of comment about our "little stadium" when KBS only actually has seats for about 7-8,000 more after a 50 year headstart and multiple "expansions" (15,300 vs. 22/23,000).

And it will be 50 years and multiple "expansions" before UNCCCC averages 29/30,000 for a regular season. xthumbsupx

Sly Fox
December 2nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
What's that I smell? Could it be FBS conference officials on recent site visits? The rumor mill is churning.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
What's that I smell? Could it be FBS conference officials on recent site visits? The rumor mill is churning.

Qué?

T-Dog
December 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
I've heard through the grapevine that Charlotte isn't sure if it's going to have a marching band yet. I know it's early, but if you're going to have one, then all the hirings and allocation of funds has to happen next summer. If they're going to be successful, they have to create a football culture and a marching band would be a big step for that to happen.

91Niner
December 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
And it will be 50 years and multiple "expansions" before UNCCCC averages 29/30,000 for a regular season. xthumbsupx

Yeah and for Ap too.......nice tryxthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah and for Ap too.......nice tryxthumbsupx

29,449 regular season average in 2010.

Nice try!

91Niner
December 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
29,449 regular season average in 2010.

Nice try!

....and which year was it 30,000. Also, what aboutTHIS year and why drop out the biggest games of the year (playoffs)? Could it be because all your dedicated fans dont come out and that drops your average by about 5-10,000?....Ive never seen a fanbase not count playoff attendance. You guys are so transparent.xthumbsupx

cbarrier90
December 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
....and which year was it 30,000. Also, what aboutTHIS year and why drop out the biggest games of the year (playoffs)? Could it be because all your dedicated fans dont come out and that drops your average by about 5-10,000?....Ive never seen a fanbase not count playoff attendance. You guys are so transparent.xthumbsupx

http://www.a10-fans.com/articles/umass-charlotte-tournament-recap_031010.html

The same reason nobody showed up for your first round A-10 tournament game. Such a shame. It appears they missed a good one...

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
why did this thread get bumped?....UNCC is gonna be great in the future and so is App leave it at that

Apphole
December 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM

Low playoff attendance is a problem shared across the FCS. Our meek (by our, subdivision leading standards)playoff numbers are still more than your trade school will draw during the parade of the FCS you call a schedual. Ignorant UNC-Concord post #1,000. It's like his team hasn't played a single game or something....

91Niner
December 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Low playoff attendance is a problem shared across the FCS. Our meek (by our, subdivision leading standards)playoff numbers are still more than your trade school will draw during the parade of the FCS you call a schedual. Ignorant UNC-Concord post #1,000. It's like his team hasn't played a single game or something....

Classic......looks like our "little" stadium (15,300 ACTUAL SEATS) would have had plenty of room for your little playoff tilt yesterday considering only 15,291 showed up to watch that drubbing your team took. xsmileyclapx

boonegoon
December 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=91Niner;1740763]Classic......looks like our "little" stadium (15,300 ACTUAL SEATS) would have had plenty of room for your little playoff tilt yesterday considering only 15,291 showed up to watch that drubbing your team took. xsmileyclapx[/QUOTE

I love hearing smack from a guy without a team. Come back when you have something to add.

ChooChoo
December 4th, 2011, 01:45 PM

I'll tell "our" story if you tell yours... xwhistlex

91Niner
December 4th, 2011, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=91Niner;1740763]Classic......looks like our "little" stadium (15,300 ACTUAL SEATS) would have had plenty of room for your little playoff tilt yesterday considering only 15,291 showed up to watch that drubbing your team took. xsmileyclapx[/QUOTE

I love hearing smack from a guy without a team. Come back when you have something to add.

I didn't start the smack.....it was a"Happy Appy", as usual. xthumbsupx

Apphole
December 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I didn't start the smack.....it was a"Happy Appy", as usual. xthumbsupx

Your negative rep point suggests otherwise....troll

49RFootballNow
December 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM
No need to be sore that you're out of the playoffs and we're still in it.xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
No need to be sore that you're out of the playoffs and we're still in it.xthumbsupx

wat

49RFootballNow
December 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
wat

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/fls/23200/wallpaper2/msoc_800x600.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=23200

NCAA Futbol Final Four!

91Niner
December 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Your negative rep point suggests otherwise....troll

Yeah, that proves it I'm trolling....it has nothing to do with you few App fans living on this board 24/7 and the fact that I call you on your overblown egos.xsalutex

cbarrier90
December 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.charlotte49ers.com/fls/23200/wallpaper2/msoc_800x600.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=23200

NCAA Futbol Final Four!

I played (played, as in "rode the bench while I watched him play") against Will Mayhew when he was at JM Robinson. Great player and a great guy. I'm rooting for the Niners to continue what looks to be a dream of a season.

In an attempt to get this post on-topic, Charlotte has built a winner with their soccer program and attendance is continuously in the 1500-2000 range. I'm curious to see if this translates to the football program.

I've said it before in this thread, I don't expect an ODU-esque start, but I don't expect Georgia State either.

WH49er
December 5th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I played (played, as in "rode the bench while I watched him play") against Will Mayhew when he was at JM Robinson. Great player and a great guy. I'm rooting for the Niners to continue what looks to be a dream of a season.

In an attempt to get this post on-topic, Charlotte has built a winner with their soccer program and attendance is continuously in the 1500-2000 range. I'm curious to see if this translates to the football program.

I've said it before in this thread, I don't expect an ODU-esque start, but I don't expect Georgia State either.

If we are in the playoffs by our 3rd year, I'd be thrilled. I don't see attendance being a problem the first couple years as long as the gameday environment is successful. We definitely used ODU's scheduling methods as a footprint and hopefully we will have this conference situation figured out soon.

Saint3333
December 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Can someone change the title to futbol at least then UNCC will be relevant in something before 2013?

Good luck this weekend in futbol, represent the state and mid-major schools well.

Hooner49
February 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Word on the street is we'll know our conference home by July 1st. Here are some updsates via hearsay (from Coach Lambert)

Southern Conference does not want us because we are a large public university.
We could be in the CAA, the CUSA/MWC Merger looks good too.
He said he isn't worried about conference afiliation so we shouldn't be either, said that Judy's and Phil's vision on this matter are strong.
Still trying to decide between UnderArmor and Nike.
Have Green Helmets and White Helmets mocked up - no decision yet.

Post on NinerNation.net (http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=27548.msg541856#msg541856)

cbarrier90
February 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Word on the street is we'll know our conference home by July 1st. Here are some updsates via hearsay (from Coach Lambert)

Go with Under Armour. It's taken the Charlotte market by storm. xbowx

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0AiD7CK3PwU/T0QM4vmDqkI/AAAAAAAAA1c/Zo7xx7DoH4g/s1600/cam2.gif

WH49er
February 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
If Temple is indeed gone to the Big East, I can't see the A10 existing for very long.

asumike83
February 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM

Post on NinerNation.net (http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=27548.msg541856#msg541856)

For the love of God, green helmets! Those look pretty sweet, I think the white would be terrible.

Hooner49
February 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
For the love of God, green helmets! Those look pretty sweet, I think the white would be terrible.

I agree, but I think the players might like the white more. If it's not green it should be gold or black...not white.

49RFootballNow
February 22nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Helmets GREEN ONLY!!!!!!!!!

Saint3333
February 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
- Southern Conference does not want us because we are a large public university - not true SoCon wants all sports or nothing.
- We could be in the CAA, the CUSA/MWC Merger looks good too - the CAA is the best move for UNCC at this time in my opinion and could lead to an Alliance invitation down the line
- He said he isn't worried about conference afiliation so we shouldn't be either, said that Judy's and Phil's vision on this matter are strong. - this guy's coach speak is pretty good, again joining the CAA all sports would be better than an FCS indy route.
- Still trying to decide between UnderArmor and Nike. - whoever gives you the best deal
- Have Green Helmets and White Helmets mocked up - no decision yet. - easiest of all, Green, those white helmets might be the ugliest I've ever seen

eagle07
February 22nd, 2012, 03:57 PM

http://tanejasbride.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/kermit-the-frog.jpg

KERMIT APPROVES!

Apphole
February 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Green:
Adj
Used to describe someone who is new, inexperienced, sick or jealous.

Perfect color! xlolx

Skjellyfetti
February 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/g/1/q/R/F/s/green-football-helmet-white-padding-md.png

?

Hooner49
February 23rd, 2012, 08:05 AM
Green:
Adj
Used to describe someone who is new, inexperienced, sick or jealous.

Perfect color! xlolx

Black:
Adj
Soiled or stained with dirt; gloomy; pessimistic; dismal:

asumike83
February 23rd, 2012, 08:16 AM
I'm a big fan of solid colored uniforms. I'd have the green helmet permanently and wear greens with a gold stripe at home and whites with a green stripe on the road.

Not really fond of mixing the pants/jersey colors. I love App's all-black home uni's and all-white road uni's, not a big fan of when we wear the black pants/white jersey combo on the road.

Hooner49
February 23rd, 2012, 08:19 AM
I'm a big fan of solid colored uniforms. I'd have the green helmet permanently and wear greens with a gold stripe at home and whites with a green stripe on the road.

Not really fond of mixing the pants/jersey colors. I love App's all-black home uni's and all-white road uni's, not a big fan of when we wear the black pants/white jersey combo on the road.

I feel the same and I LOVE the helmet in my avatar. I do hope that later on down the road we can have a gold alternate, even if it's just the helmet.

asumike83
February 23rd, 2012, 08:22 AM
I feel the same and I LOVE the helmet in my avatar. I do hope that later on down the road we can have a gold alternate, even if it's just the helmet.

Yeah, that green helmet does look sharp. Plus, you'll blend right into the field and have a home-field advantage. The QB will never see that safety creeping over!

WH49er
February 23rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Black:
Adj
Soiled or stained with dirt; gloomy; pessimistic; dismal:

Yellow:
Adj
Cowardly

Dirty and cowardly, sounds like the fighting fupas.

darell1976
February 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM

Green is the best color helmets!!xthumbsupx

alvinkayak6
February 23rd, 2012, 10:03 AM
They say geniuses pick green.

Rekdiver
February 23rd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah, that proves it I'm trolling....it has nothing to do with you few App fans living on this board 24/7 and the fact that I call you on your overblown egos.xsalutex

Seriously? Unionville?

91Niner
February 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Seriously? Unionville?

Whats wrong with Unionville? One of the best small towns around.

Apphole
February 24th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Whats wrong with Unionville? One of the best small towns around.

Onionville is the redneck capitol of the greater Charlotte area. The Piedmont High district is about 80% trailer parks. The woman are covered in skin tags and never clean well enough under their fupas to mask the stench of their brothers' dry semen. Half the men have had a portion of their jaw removed as a result of dip-related mouth cancers. The creeks run with dip spit, discarded insulin shots and outhouse drainage since the town has yet to ascertain indoor plumbing. It's even worse than the hillbilly NASCAR town of the UNC-Cee area. xthumbsupx

superman7515
February 24th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Charlotte is starting a football team!?!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcsembRjVu1qe6o2ao1_500.jpg

91Niner
February 24th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Onionville is the redneck capitol of the greater Charlotte area. The Piedmont High district is about 80% trailer parks. The woman are covered in skin tags and never clean well enough under their fupas to mask the stench of their brothers' dry semen. Half the men have had a portion of their jaw removed as a result of dip-related mouth cancers. The creeks run with dip spit, discarded insulin shots and outhouse drainage since the town has yet to ascertain indoor plumbing. It's even worse than the hillbilly NASCAR town of the UNC-Cee area. xthumbsupx

I assume this was meant as a joke. Unionville/Piedmont school district is one of the most sought after around (not only in Union County). Award winning schools, I literally can't think of a single trailer park in the district, the high school has led Union County in most scholarship money for more consecutive years than I can remember. For example, last years senior class at Piedmont had scholarship awards in excess of $18 million dollars and have had similar numbers for years. This is for a class size of less than 250 students. Nice try moron!

citdog
February 24th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I assume this was meant as a joke. Unionville/Piedmont school district is one of the most sought after around (not only in Union County). Award winning schools, I literally can't think of a single trailer park in the district, the high school has led Union County in most scholarship money for more consecutive years than I can remember. For example, last years senior class at Piedmont had scholarship awards in excess of $18 million dollars and have had similar numbers for years. This is for a class size of less than 250 students. Nice try moron!

**** union