PDA

View Full Version : Princeton-Yale thread - 131st meeting of Nation's 2nd most-played rivalry

Go...gate
November 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yale leads 71-49-10 all-time, including a winning streak between 1967-1980.

Thoughts?

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Go Blue!:D

Gotta set up The Game on 11/22!xthumbsupx

That win for Yale last week was big. I see them beating Princeton by a TD.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Been a frustrating year for Princeton, but you throw out the record books for this game.

Cleets
November 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yale by maybe 2 touch downs..?
(Who can get a ground game going - that's the key)

xchinscratchx

Go...gate
November 13th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Forecast is for rain at the Bowl.

Cleets
November 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Forecast is for rain at the Bowl.

I believe that bodes well for La Tigre'
(No..?)

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Been a frustrating year for Princeton, but you throw out the record books for this game.

Princeton has struggled this year (of course in a year Lafayette is off the schedule xlolx ) but as you say this is one of the great games in college football. It should be on the YES network ( as all other Yale games appear to be).

bulldog10jw
November 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Princeton has struggled this year (of course in a year Lafayette is off the schedule xlolx ) but as you say this is one of the great games in college football. It should be on the YES network ( as all other Yale games appear to be).

The game is on Versus, 12:00 P.M.

bulldog10jw
November 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
This could be a tough one for Yale as it's one of those "in between games". Yale was sky high for Brown and has Harvard next week. I like Yale, but only by a FG.

Harvard Worship
November 14th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I think the advantage is w/ Yale. Lots of momentum from shutting down Brown, which nobody else in the league could do. Yale's D is fierce. But the O is suspect this year & there could be quite a few turnovers in the rain, which adds that delightful element of randomness. Could go either way.

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
They had 43,000 for this game two years ago when Yale could have clinched and Princeton needed the win to get a piece of first place.

With the weather forecast and not too much on the line, look for considerably less people to attend.

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
They had 43,000 for this game two years ago when Yale could have clinched and Princeton needed the win to get a piece of first place.

With the weather forecast and not too much on the line, look for considerably less people to attend.

27,000 is what I'm guessing for the Bowl. It is Yale's last home game.

Franklin Field will be lucky to break 12,000 for Harvard-Penn.xsmhx

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Franklin Field will be lucky to break 12,000 for Harvard-Penn.xsmhx

Too many 50 year olds watching CN8. :p

Go...gate
November 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM

I'm figuring about 17-18,000 at the Bowl.

How well I remember the 1989 game. 39,000+ at old Palmer Stadium and the Ivy Championship on the line - really like old times. AIR, ESPN did the game as the Ivy Game of the Week, which they did in those days. Yale, using the Wishbone, squeezed by the Tigers, 14-7. Ironically, Yale was upset by the Cantabs the following week and Princeton ended up with a share of the Ivy title after beating Cornell in its last game.

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Too many 50 year olds watching CN8. :p

Yeah -- if we all showed up, it might break 13K!:p

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm figuring about 17-18,000 at the Bowl.

How well I remember the 1989 game. 39,000+ at old Palmer Stadium and the Ivy Championship on the line - really like old times. AIR, ESPN did the game as the Ivy Game of the Week, which they did in those days. Yale, using the Wishbone, squeezed by the Tigers, 14-7. Ironically, Yale was upset by the Cantabs the following week and Princeton ended up with a share of the Ivy title after beating Cornell in its last game.

I remember both those games very well, probably because they were the last Y-P and Y-H games I attended in person.

Great scene in Princeton after the game with the crowd on the field and Yale captain Jon Reese being carried on the shoulders of his teammates.

The Harvard game was strange. H went up 21-0. Yale came back with three TD's to make it 21-20 and then missed the XP. That just seemed to deflate the whole team. I can't explain it, but you could just feel it. Harvard won 37-20.

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM

I would love to see a decent crowd to send McLeod, Abare, and some other great seniors out on a high.

But this IS the Ivy League, so 20,000 may be the best they can hope for if the weather is not TOO bad.

Go...gate
November 14th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The game is one of the spectacles of College Football. Happy to hear it is on television.

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I would love to see a decent crowd to send McLeod, Abare, and some other great seniors out on a high.

But this IS the Ivy League, so 20,000 may be the best they can hope for if the weather is not TOO bad.

Two of the Ivy's all-time greats. I hope they have a great senior day send-off.

But not so great as to make them kick our butts next week!;)

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Oh, yeah. I still hate Cosmo Iacavazzi. xnonono2x xmadx

Go...gate
November 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
1964. 35-14. Iacavazzi bolts off tackle, scores and heaves the ball into the stands.

Yep, that was a pretty good game. ;)

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
1964. 35-14. Iacavazzi bolts off tackle, scores and heaves the ball into the stands.

The one two years later in '66 was worse. Yale led the whole game, although not by much 7-6. Late in the game they were punting to put Princeton deep in their own end with just a few minutes left. Princeton blocked the punt and ran it back for a TD. That was Yale's 6th straight loss to Princeton. (and also the last loss to P until 15 years later)

I hate Larry Stupski. xnonono2x xmadx

Go...gate
November 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
The one two years later in '66 was worse. Yale led the whole game, although not by much 7-6. Late in the game they were punting to put Princeton deep in their own end with just a few minutes left. Princeton blocked the punt and ran it back for a TD. That was Yale's 6th straight loss to Princeton. (and also the last loss to P until 15 years later)

Not to mention Walt Kozumbo. ;). Except for the 1981 Bobby Holly - Derek Graham circus over Yale, that was pretty much it for Princeton football for a long time after that - the whole program went into eclipse until Rogerson and then Tosches got it back on track.

Remember Mike Curtin of Yale taking his team 95 yards in 96 seconds to win the 1984 game at the Bowl and costing Frank Navarro his job? I traveled to New Haven with a bunch of old PU grads to see that one. It was like a funeral afterwards for PU players, alumni and fans.

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Not to mention Walt Kozumbo. ;). Except for the 1981 Bobby Holly - Derek Graham circus over Yale, that was pretty much it for Princeton football for a long time after that - the whole program went into eclipse until Rogerson and then Tosches got it back on track.

Remember Mike Curtin of Yale taking his team 95 yards in 96 seconds to win the 1984 game at the Bowl and costing Frank Navarro his job? I traveled to New Haven with a bunch of old PU grads to see that one. It was like a funeral afterwards for PU players, alumni and fans.

Gawd, how old ARE you people?xconfusedx

:p :D

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM

My father told me about those games. xsmiley_wix xlolx

YaleFootballFan
November 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I think it'll be a lot less than that.

The 1990 Yale/Princeton game at the Bowl was played in the rain and it was televised nationally on ESPN. Only 5,000 were in attendance and the Bowl looked EMPTY. Yale won 34-7.

I can see the same type of crowd tomorrow with the game being on VERSUS.

YaleFootballFan
November 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Most Yale fans remember the Princeton game in 1968 when Brian Dowling also threw the ball in the stands in Yale's 42-17 win at the Bowl. You can say that was payback for what Iacavazzi did in '64.

YaleFootballFan
November 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Great scene in Princeton after the game with the crowd on the field and Yale captain Jon Reese being carried on the shoulders of his teammates.

The Harvard game was strange. H went up 21-0. Yale came back with three TD's to make it 21-20 and then missed the XP. That just seemed to deflate the whole team. I can't explain it, but you could just feel it. Harvard won 37-20.

I remember both games as well. Yale fans rushed the field after the Princeton win and sang "Bulldog" on their field. Great moment.

Harvard always finds a way to ruin Yale's bid for an undefeated Ivy League season. 1968, 1979, 1989 and, of course, 2007. The loss in '89 was painful.

Harvard Worship
November 15th, 2008, 01:05 AM

Envy.

Man I hope my memory stands up so well. I mean, obviously if you're going to remember anything 40 years hence there isn't anything better to keep around than Ivy League football games, but still... kudos.

ngineer
November 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Princeton was another one of our 'shoulda' games. With rain in the forecast, I see the Yale ground game being the difference. Of course, we all rain is the "great equalizer"..Still, Yale 21-14.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yale with an early fumble recovery at the Princeton 25

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Touchdown Yale

Yale 7 Princeton 0 early in the 1st

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yale 7 Princeton 0 - end of the 1st quarter

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Bobby Abare with an INT inside the Princeton 20.

Yale needs to put up some points, they have dominated but only have that one TD.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Touchdown Yale

Yale 14 Princeton 0 - 7:00 left in the half

art vandelay
November 15th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Umass gets on the board
UNH 31
Umass 7
9 minutes to go in half

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yale turns over Princeton on downs at the Yale 34 with about 1:30 left in the half.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Yale 14 Princeton 0 at the half

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Princeton goes for it on 4th and 1 at midfield. A bad snap, and they don't make it.

Yale goes nowhere though and will punt.

12:00 left in the game

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Yale just had an INT taken away. It was a tough call for the ref, the ball was close to hitting the ground, and with no instant replay in the Ivies, it's just a tough break for Yale.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yale's defense was dominant today.

Final

Yale 14 Princeton 0

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm thinking Roger Hughes is done. Princeton looked helpless on offense.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
While Yale's offense is certainly better than it was a month ago, they still show no ability to put together long drives.

Their two TD's today were set up by the defense and even last week their TD was a 78 yard pass.

I don't know if they have enough O to beat Harvard unless they get several turnovers.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Congrats to Yale! Looking forward to next week!xnodx

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Pretty damned old....

YaleFootballFan
November 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Attendance: 5,711.

It actually turned out to be a pretty decent day (it really only rained late in the fourth quarter) but the forecast obviously kept many people away. We might have seen a crowd near 30K had it been a nice day.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM

It actually turned out to be a pretty decent day (it really only rained late in the fourth quarter) but the forecast obviously kept many people away. We might have seen a crowd near 30K had it been a nice day.

The Ivy League invented the term "fair weather fan".

He says as he sits on his patio where it's sunny and 80 degrees. xrolleyesx

Go...gate
November 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Granted the weather was less-than-ideal, but....xsmhx xnonono2x

YaleFootballFan
November 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yale's final home game (whether it be Harvard or Princeton) usually boosts its average attendance for the season. This year was not the case. The last home game was actually the smallest crowd of the year.

The largest home crowd of the year? 14,512 for the Holy Cross game. Yes, HOLY CROSS!

After five home games in 2008, Yale averaged only 11,071. That could be the lowest ever in Yale football history.

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Yale's final home game (whether it be Harvard or Princeton) usually boosts its average attendance for the season. This year was not the case. The last home game was actually the smallest crowd of the year.

The largest home crowd of the year? 14,512 for the Holy Cross game. Yes, HOLY CROSS!

After five home games in 2008, Yale averaged only 11,071. That could be the lowest ever in Yale football history.

Talk about fair weather fans:

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/111508aaa.html

More than 30,000 tickets were distributed for the game, the 131st meeting between these two rivals, but the weather conditions kept many fans away. The rain abated as the game wore on, and conditions didn't cause the next Princeton turnover. Rather, it was just another case of senior linebacker Bobby Abare showing his uncanny knack for the ball once again. Anderson found all of his receivers covered on third-and-four from the Princeton 28, so he scrambled to his right to buy time. He stopped and fired a pass into the middle of the field, but Abare was right there for the 10th interception of his career -- a record for Yale linebackers -- and he returned it to the Tiger 17.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Talk about fair weather fans:

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/111508aaa.html

More than 30,000 tickets were distributed for the game, the 131st meeting between these two rivals, but the weather conditions kept many fans away. The rain abated as the game wore on, and conditions didn't cause the next Princeton turnover. Rather, it was just another case of senior linebacker Bobby Abare showing his uncanny knack for the ball once again. Anderson found all of his receivers covered on third-and-four from the Princeton 28, so he scrambled to his right to buy time. He stopped and fired a pass into the middle of the field, but Abare was right there for the 10th interception of his career -- a record for Yale linebackers -- and he returned it to the Tiger 17.

30,000 sounds about right - even more if a championship was on the line for one or both. Nothing quite like Big Three games.