PDA

View Full Version : Playoff tickets

JayJ79
November 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Does your school sell/take reservations for possible home playoff games before the brackets are announced?

And do you think that is a good idea, or do you think it's a possible jinx?

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Does your school sell/take reservations for possible home playoff games before the brackets are announced?

It is not good to talk about it until the season is over and the selection committee has announced who made it and who didn't.

The home school will have playoff tix available the Mon. or Tues. before the game. If you have season tix you have to pick up your tix by Thurs morning at 9 or they are sold.

The away school gets an alloted number of tix for their fans to come and root on the team. If they are all sold you can sometimes buy tix from home University if there are any available for sale.

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Montana has done this several times. In fact I believe the NCAA has guarenteed them a home game before the season is done so that they can start selling tickets. It certainly hasn't jinxed us from getting a home game because we haven't been on the road in the first round since 1998. Winning may be a jinx though.

furman94
November 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I recieved an order form in the mail last week for all 3 rounds :D

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
App has a "short season ticket" option, in which someone can buy tickets for three games, and there are two different options for this (don't remember the exact specifics). So, presumably you would have multiple "season ticket" holders beyond the seating capacity of the Rock. I've been wondering how they are going to manage that if we get a home playoff game.

nmatsen
November 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I bet every team in the hunt for a home game has started or thought about this process. Hell, I bet Dayton Flyer has started selling tickets for a Dayton Home game. Its not "bad kharma" its planning. Every school does it.

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
App has a "short season ticket" option, in which someone can buy tickets for three games, and there are two different options for this (don't remember the exact specifics). So, presumably you would have multiple "season ticket" holders beyond the seating capacity of the Rock. I've been wondering how they are going to manage that if we get a home playoff game.

When Appaholic was in town for the Griz Encounter we spoke about this a little. I just couldn't figure out why one would only want half a season of games. Montana does have a limited season tix package but it still includes all games but homecoming, and every other year the Brawl, and they get their same seats for the playoffs provided the Griz make it.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Grizzaholic-I was out in your fine state earlier this year at Ft. Harrison, I was really impressed by the gates of the mountains and later travelled with my wife thru Missoula en route to Idaho and points west.

To answer your question, a short season option would have appealed to me so that I could buy tickets for several games without having to buy tickets for games that I would have to miss due to conflicts with drill or other obligations (though I didn't buy any this year, because I didn't know about it until after the season started). Maybe the administration thought that the first playoff game being on the same weekend as Thanksgiving might cut down on the numbers somewhat, but I still think the Apps draw 25,000 or so if they get a home game.

Grizzaholic
November 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Grizzaholic-I was out in your fine state earlier this year at Ft. Harrison, I was really impressed by the gates of the mountains and later travelled with my wife thru Missoula en route to Idaho and points west.

To answer your question, a short season option would have appealed to me so that I could buy tickets for several games without having to buy tickets for games that I would have to miss due to conflicts with drill or other obligations (though I didn't buy any this year, because I didn't know about it until after the season started). Maybe the administration thought that the first playoff game being on the same weekend as Thanksgiving might cut down on the numbers somewhat, but I still think the Apps draw 25,000 or so if they get a home game.

Glad you enjoyed Montana. I gotcha on the half season and understand it, but, and maybe it is just in Missoula, there are certain games that are very very hard to get tix to without season tix. There are also always people willing to take tix off of your hands if you are unable to attend the weekend festivities.

JayJ79
November 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
UNI is allowing people to reserve their possible home playoff tickets early this year.

Last year, the playoff ticket situation was a fiasco. (perhaps due to some issues inside the UNI ticket office), and people weren't happy.

So one of the things that the new AD did in his first season at the helm of the department was advance sales.

The first week gives season ticket holders a chance to reserve their season ticket seats. Then the next week allows season ticket holders (and other Scholarship Club Members/Donors) to reserve extra seats, and students can reserve 1 ticket each for the first round. Then, after the brackets are announced, it opens up for everyone.

The football coach doesn't particularly like it, but it cuts down the hecticness for the ticket office a bit. Plus gives season ticket holders and donors a bit of added benefit.

joecooll6
November 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Thats exactly the reason why they're doing it early this year, they want to avoid the problems they had last year. Theyre selling tickets for all 3 rounds in advance, starting this week, and will probably do so every year they have a shot at making the playoffs from now on.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
A few years back Montana was selling playoff tickets with the season tickets BEFORE the season even started. I didn't see if that was still an option or not but I don't think a lot of people would purchase the playoff tickets pre season due to the fear of the jinx.

UNIFanSince1983
November 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Well there is a difference this year at UNI too because of them using and online form and not just having you fill out a sheet of paper and just having the ticket office workers (mostly students) look through every single sheet. That was where the problems came in last year.

joecooll6
November 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The real problem last year was that they weren't prepared for the wave that hit them. They did the best they could, they just weren't ready for the thousands of people calling wanting tickets. They had never had a situation like that before. They learned from the experience, and they are much more prepared this year.

JayJ79
November 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
A few years back Montana was selling playoff tickets with the season tickets BEFORE the season even started. I didn't see if that was still an option or not but I don't think a lot of people would purchase the playoff tickets pre season due to the fear of the jinx.

I don't think UNI is technically SELLING playoff tickets until the brackets are announced. They're just taking reservations. The transaction doesn't take place until the home game(s) are an actuality. At least that's how it works if paying with a credit card.

proasu89
November 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think UNI is technically SELLING playoff tickets until the brackets are announced. They're just taking reservations. The transaction doesn't take place until the home game(s) are an actuality. At least that's how it works if paying with a credit card.

The same here at ASU. Season ticket holders have until Nov. 24 to return their order. Or you can reserve your seats through Ticket Exchange. As to the "half packages" I have no idea what happens if both parties request the seats. I'm sure that neither one will be left out however.

clenz
November 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Last year was a giant cluster f@#$ from the UNI ticket office. I really hope it is a lot better this year if it comes to it

Grizaholic17
November 13th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Glad you enjoyed Montana. I gotcha on the half season and understand it, but, and maybe it is just in Missoula, there are certain games that are very very hard to get tix to without season tix. There are also always people willing to take tix off of your hands if you are unable to attend the weekend festivities.

There are people looking for tickets every single game. I gave a ticket away within 5 minutes last year.

Games like homecoming, EWU, and The brawl are convenient for season ticket holders...they actually like to show up to those games xrolleyesx xnonono2x

Also, the playoff tickets in Montana for the first round keep setting records. People are figuring out that the thanksgiving weekend game is a great one to go to since tickets are pretty cheap. I have not heard of any pre-selling of those tickets in the past few years however. Once the committee makes the decision though, the Griz Tix site is ready to take up orders.